C4's Utopia

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Laz69
Known user

C4's Utopia

Post by Laz69 »

Has anyone else been watching this complete headfuck of a tv show??? I'm now at the stage where i need to see it through, but please don't ask me to explain it :lol:

There's only 6 episodes in this series but it makes Twin Peaks look straight forward and clear. First show in years (since Twin Peaks!) that actually makes my head hurt when i think about it.
Hofstadter
Known user

Re: C4's Utopia

Post by Hofstadter »

dropping TP!? This must be good I haven't heard a word about it is it British? What's it about?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Most links seem to give spoilers, so i've posted these links which kinda explain the premise behind the show. Nothing quite prepares you for actually watching the episodes though... :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... nnis-kelly

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 51368.html
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I've been watching this each week and really like it. The cinematography is stunning, lovely use of colour and landscapes/sunlight. The soundtrack creates an otherwordly and queasy feel to it all, almost like a dreamstate. It makes you question everything and you have no idea who to trust in it. The character of Arby is fantastic. Never has a hitman seemed so lumbering and wheezy yet so deadly and emotion free. If you've seen Kill List then you'll recognise him as the main guy in that.

I must admit to preferring the first 2-3 episodes a lot more than teh last couple. The "where is Jessica Hyde?" set up and not knowing where it was going was very well done. As for that scene in the school......not giving anything away but WOW, hard hitting, horrible and terrifying.

C4 stupidly advertised the DVD during an ad-break. I say stupidly because written across the DVD was the words 'series one', and next week is the final episode so you know it's going to be left open for another season.

Chillies, salt, sand, bleach and a spoon......."Wilson, I'm holding the spoon now". Watch it and wince.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote:
Chillies, salt, sand, bleach and a spoon......."Wilson, I'm holding the spoon now". Watch it and wince.
:shock:

Fantastic. Or not... watched the first episode on iplayer due to recommendations from people, and was pretty impressed. Trying not to read any details or spoilers but trying to find the time to watch the rest - but judging on that one episode, very good stuff indeed!
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Best not say much else, but i agree on the cinematography and the overall presentation. I hadn't noticed the music overly up until you mentioned it, but i did think there was something really unsettling while watching it... possibly the music was eating away at my subconscious without me realising! :lol:
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The soundtrack kind of reminds me Chris Morris's Blue Jam (or was the TV show just called Jam?). Off kilter electronics but nothing abrasive, it just seems to be there the whole time. 'Insidious' is one description I've read of it.

From the DVD: Product Description
Utopia is a cult graphic novel rumoured to have predicted the worst disasters of the late twentieth century. Dismissed as the fevered imaginings of a madman by most, and idolised by a handful, only one thing seems certain about Utopia: come into contact with it and you won't be safe for long.
When a small group of normal people (including an IT consultant, student and child) find themselves in possession of the manuscript of Utopia, they realise they are at the centre of a nightmarish conspiracy turned real. Targeted by a shadowy organisation known only as The Network, they are left with one option if they want to stay alive: they have to run, avoiding even being caught even on CCTV. The Network is everywhere: in government, in business, in charge. A secret organisation constrained neither by borders nor common morality. Nobody knows what their plan is, just that they will stop at nothing to find the original manuscript of Utopia.

Utopia asks what if the conspiracy nuts are right? What if people are trying to control our lives, doctor our food, experiment upon us, kill us? Fast, terrifying, funny and brutal, it is a massive new drama/conspiracy thriller