live in Brooklyn, Secret Project Robot, 02 April 2013

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

davedecay
Known user

live in Brooklyn, Secret Project Robot, 02 April 2013

Post by davedecay »

Spiritualized playing live at Secret Project Robot in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City on April 2, 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ8YqKT05Zw
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: live in Brooklyn, Secret Project Robot, 02 April 2013

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for posting! Nice to hear "Let It Flow" with Kid Millions going nuts during the noise sections. I was hoping to hear one of the new songs, but I guess that'll come soon enough.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I've watched this a couple of times now and i've been trying to see if i could see Jason cutting Kid Millions a dirty look at any stage as its almost as if KM is throwing the song out of synch a little with his frantic playing... brilliant! :D
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

so no backing singers? surprised about that. wonder if it will be the same for the rest of the tour?

budget constraints or an artistic decision? a bit of both perhaps.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote:I've watched this a couple of times now and i've been trying to see if i could see Jason cutting Kid Millions a dirty look at any stage as its almost as if KM is throwing the song out of synch a little with his frantic playing... brilliant! :D
don`t know if its just the recording or something ,but in parts KM sounds like somebody building a shed, doesn`t sound to have a feel for the material, :o
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Was this show announced? I might have showed up, had I known about it.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Yes.
I posted some info on it in the Gigs (dates only) section of this message board.
Good looking setlist.
I'd be stoked if I were on the west coast.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Has anyone seen a full setlist anywhere yet?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Play lay back in the sun!
:)
Thank you.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't know why they are still playing Oh Baby right after Rated X. Way too much of a lull in the set. I love Rated X, but that song needs to be followed with something more uptempo.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Yeah. Ditch those songs.
Pure phase, cop shoot cop, shine a light, electric mainline, lay back in the sun, electricity, etc.
Who is writing these set lists?
PS we like lazers
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I must admit that I'm a bit worn out on Shine A Light. I feel like I've heard that song a million times.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

dselevan2 wrote:Who is writing these set lists?
Er, I'd hazard a guess at Jason :roll:
TheWarmth wrote:I must admit that I'm a bit worn out on Shine A Light. I feel like I hard that song a million times.
Sacrilege!!!! I'm always gutted when, on the rare occasions, Shine A Light doesn't appear in the set.

And, for what it's worth, I think I might be on one of the few who believes Oh Baby is a terrific song, both live and on record. Though I can understand the perception that it can be a bit of a lull in a live set when paired with Rated X.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I dont think I will ever tire of Shine A Light in this lifetime. Or the next, if there is one.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I do like Shine A Light, but there are so many awesome Spiritualized songs that at this point I think I'd rather hear something that doesn't get aired live as much, like Feel So Sad.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

dselevan2 wrote:Yeah. Ditch those songs.
Pure phase, cop shoot cop, shine a light, electric mainline, lay back in the sun, electricity, etc.
PS we like lazers
No shit you like lazers. Read that recent interview - there's obviously financial constraints with lugging an entire lighting rig across the pond, (hence Spiritualized USA) and what record label is gonna put the money up for that, unless you're Beiber or whatever.

He probably has plenty of lazers. Will that do?

By the way, they played Electricity! :roll:
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Shinesalight wrote:
dselevan2 wrote:Who is writing these set lists?
Er, I'd hazard a guess at Jason :roll:
Genius!

Thanks to Dave for posting the links and stuff. Pretty raw sounding gig - you guys over there going to these show are gonna be in for something pretty special I think.
O P 8
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Hi. When I mentioned electricity, I meant specifically in that order, which was the order of their set in 1995.
Yes I'm living in the past and I'm not that open to these new things.
Why ruin a good thing.
Thank you.
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

Yes, thanks for posting, raw indeed. I think last years show was the best sounding show I have seen ever here in Detroit and this sounds almost like a practice session with the new players? Not familiar with this new drummer, bassist or keyboard player so far I will say I miss the last line up especially Kevin Bales on drums, he seems to play so effortlessly yet brilliant. Any idea why the line up shift? Hopefully we will see some more shows as they continue to tour across the US.

Jason
Jason Burkett
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

The thing is, Kev has played with J for the last 12 years, I think? We are used to his drums playing those songs live, and he has a very safe, mannered feel - he plays loud and strong, but you look at him whilst doing that and he is as cool as the proverbial. Not saying that this was bad, as he's given J and Doggen a very strong, solid backing, but Kid Millions is throwing down there, and if you had to mix up any element of the set, looser drumming was the way to go. They set fire to Let It Flow, say, and I reckon J was giving it a lot more noise and effort on his guitar because of that. I certainly didn't see him throwing any dirty looks to anyone.

Also, the set was recorded poorly - it sounded like a Spiz garage session mastered on an iPhone. I reckon hearing that band in the flesh would be a different scene altogether, and I want British dates NOW.
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

Great points, I was wondering if maybe it sounded better being there. I like tight drumming personally, either way wish I could see them here in the states again. Sadly I am not on the west coast. Hopefully some more shows will be added before J leaves, or some more live footage of these upcoming shows. Bucket list is to see a show in Europe, working on it.

Jason
Jason Burkett
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dselevan2 wrote:Hi. When I mentioned electricity, I meant specifically in that order, which was the order of their set in 1995.
Yes I'm living in the past and I'm not that open to these new things.
Why ruin a good thing.
Thank you.
Because artists grow just like we expand our musical horizons. Could be movies, beer, books, whiskey, sports. You gotta keep moving forward. Your past is all part of it.
Your dream set list is 18 years old. A lot has happened in that time re: Spiritualized. Enjoy it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote: I certainly didn't see him throwing any dirty looks to anyone.
Just to clarify, i wasn't suggesting Jason regretted having KM as the drummer... far from it. I just (jokingly) wondered if J realised who he was getting :lol: KM is a superb drummer. Full of energy. Maybe its a case of Jason wanting to shed some of the lethargy thats set in over the last few years. He himself has spoken of being more invigorated after his last bout of illness. Maybe he just want to kickstart the band a little. Certainly the more recent gigs from last year seemed to be much more enegetic and "alive" again after, IMO, things had got a little stagnant...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

dseleven I think you are clinging unneccessarily to a very specific version of the band. I would think less of them if they were playing the same songs as the Pure Phase tour now.

that said, I don't think this clip is that great. of course, it's not great sound quality but it all seems a bit clunky and pubrock, it's a bit ragged. obviously it's early days with this lineup, and this was basically a warm up.

Lord Let It Rain on Me and Shine a Light back in set? maybe because they are fairly straightforward songs to play for new musicians?

I do agree that if J is shaking things up a different (and different style of) drummer is the way to go, as obviously that's the backbone of the whole sound. I really like Kid Millions' drumming, but seems to work on some songs and not others.

I'm sure I recognise the bass player from somewhere too?

lets not forget that this is just an American pickup band- the way people are talking is that this the new lineup, but I assume that the UK version of the band still exists too!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

http://unartignyc.com/2013/06/10/uncut17/

Brooklyn, Secret Project Robot 02 April 2013

Set List ~ Here It Comes > Hey Jane > Electricity > Shine A Light > Lord Let It Rain > Let It Flow > Rated X > Oh Baby > Freedom > So Long You Pretty > Think I’m In Love > Take Your Time

Geek Specs

A/V ~ Sony HVR-Z5U with Sennheiser MKH418S M/S Stereo Shotgun Microphone > 1080i/60 HDV on Panasonic AY-DVM63PQUS > Sony GV-HD700 > Firewire > Final Cut Pro 7 > H.264, 1280×720, 24fps, 8000kbps, AAC, 44kHz, 320kbps

Words by Alfie Palao

Context is everything.

Upon hearing in the early hours of the morning that Spiritualized (one of my all time favorite bands) would be playing a last minute show at the incredibly small Secret Project Robot space, located mere blocks from my office, I knew I had to be there. Having already seen Jason Pierce and company blow away the massive club space Terminal 5, send grown men into tears at the legendary Apollo Theater, and recreate the renowned heartbreak of 1997’s Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space at Radio City Music Hall, I found myself curious as to whether or not SPR would be capable of containing the epic transmissions of the band’s catalogue.

The scope of the band’s live show is legendary, but stripped of the gospel singers and enormous speakers that usually accompany the band, what we were truly exposed to was not some intoxicating religious type of experience… just one of the better garage bands of our time playing powerful songs of mortality, love & addiction.