Record Store Day 2013

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Record Store Day 2013

Post by sunray »

I'm assuming some people here are still interested in it despite all the negative aspects. Full list isn't out until tomorrow but there are some nice releases, which i'm sure peeps here wouldn't mind having, that are known so far:

The Heads 'Everybody Knows..' cassette. Kind of annoying that we're still waiting on the 2 cd reissue that was supposed to come out last year but here's a tape instead to tide us over. What's definitely annoying is that, being a sad collector, I'll have to get this 'cos it's on the band's Rooster label :roll: I wouldn't touch it otherwise!
Carlton Melton Live In Europe 2012 LP, Mugstar Centralia LP, Moon Duo Circles Remixed LP, Watchout! Flashbacker LP, Bardo Pond Rise Above It All 2 Track 12" featuring covers of Funkadelic's 'Maggot Brain' and Pharaoh Sanders 'The Creator Has A Master Plan' :shock:
Steven Malkmus and Friends play Ege Bam Yasi LP.
There's also the Goat remix 12"s, Beta Band first three e.p.'s 12" reissues, Psychocandy 180gm splatter vinyl.
Lee Perry and Scientist both have triple 10" coloured vinyl sets.
TOY/The Horrors split 12".

Here's a list of predominantly US releases: http://new-vinyl.blogspot.ie/2013/01/re ... -2013.html
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
shalloboi
Known user

Re: Record Store Day 2013

Post by shalloboi »

wow. i've been keeping up with the list as it's been updated, but this last one kind of made my head explode. bjm and thee oh sees both have releases?! i'd also love to know what's on those two animals 10"es. i've already started putting aside a little tip money each week, but this is getting out of control!
2 sharon van etten 7"es. 2 coloured vinyl cure releases of two of my favourites of theirs.
it's times like this where being a vinyl addict really takes its toll...
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Anton Newcombe had tweeted that his remix of the Tim Burgess song was coming out for RSD - but I've not seen it on the lists that I've looked at.
The BJM release is a couple of his latest Berlin demos yes?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

After seeing that list, its just become completely impossible to try and stay on top of all these good releases... talk about disheartening...
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

There's also a beak> 7" for those interested
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Beak> release is a white vinyl 10", actually. It's got one of the tracks from the >> bonus cd as well as their cover of "Welcome To The Machine". Sounds neat. Hope I can score one. If anyone in the UK is willing to help out, that'd be amazing.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

KingHarry wrote:Anton Newcombe had tweeted that his remix of the Tim Burgess song was coming out for RSD - but I've not seen it on the lists that I've looked at. The BJM release is a couple of his latest Berlin demos yes?
Probably yesterday's news but just in case you haven't seen it:

BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE Fist Full of Bees b/w Food for Clouds Colored vinyl 12", numbered out of 2000 copies with 2 HIDDEN TRACKS
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

redcloud wrote:
KingHarry wrote:Anton Newcombe had tweeted that his remix of the Tim Burgess song was coming out for RSD - but I've not seen it on the lists that I've looked at. The BJM release is a couple of his latest Berlin demos yes?
Probably yesterday's news but just in case you haven't seen it:

BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE Fist Full of Bees b/w Food for Clouds Colored vinyl 12", numbered out of 2000 copies with 2 HIDDEN TRACKS
Cheers.

He's putting a steady stream of great stuff on his AntonFjordson page at the moment
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I read that there's a 12" reissue of The Verve E.P. as well. Which, if it included the full length versions of Gravity Grave and She's A Superstar, would be their best release.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

jadams501 wrote:I read that there's a 12" reissue of The Verve E.P. as well. Which, if it included the full length versions of Gravity Grave and She's A Superstar, would be their best release.
yup, it's on a bunch of lists. unfortunately for those of us in the states it's one of the UK only releases. with shipping rates what they are (i finally ordered the new hookworms album and the shipping cost the same as the LP) it'll be quite the challenge to get ahold of a copy for a decent price.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

TheWarmth wrote:The Beak> release is a white vinyl 10", actually.
O sweet! Just saw two song names, assumed 7". I know at least a few of the record stores in my area are getting it, I could try to snag you a copy if you like? But yeah it's on the US List
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

If you have a chance to grab one for me, that'd be awesome. Chances of me getting out to RSD this year are slim since I'll be in the middle of a big move right around that time. I also REALLY want a copy of the Verve EP on vinyl, but now I'm probably asking too much :!:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

As some members of this board will know to say I'm an obsessive collector of all things SP3 and related would be an understatement but even I am thinking twice about spending £60 on the fire re-issues for RSD. As far as I can see apart from them being coloured vinyl there will be nothing different at all from previous re-issues and if that's the case think I'll be spending my money on some new music which I don't already own on umpteen different formats/versions.

Anybody else asking themselves the same question :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm increasingly becoming more and more cynical about RSD. Not only the gimmicky releases at high prices but as BVCP206 points out, the endless reissue runs and the "limited edition" that one can still find in record bins a week, a month, even a year later at a reduced cost. Just yesterday I saw the Chocolate Watchband 7" from last years RSD at 20% off what they were selling it for on RSD.

On the day itself the record stores that stock new vinyl here in Portland are crazy busy with amusement park style lines wrapping out the door to the till. It's a crazy scene almost like Black Friday, or to make a better comparison for those in England...it is similar to the scrum entering Wembley IKEA on a Sunday morning. And, where are all these people the rest of the year? Quite honestly I think they all come out in April for RSD then they retreat for the rest of the year to buying their music from Amazon.

I also don't buy a lot of the new RSD releases anyway so I really have no real draw to go to the record store on that day. Looking at the list of items for 2013 I see nothing on there that is jumping out for me to want to queue up and hope to get a copy. I go to, and support, local record stores enough as it is so my absence on one day of the year is made up on any other of the 364 days.

Sorry, I'm feeling like a grumpy old man now.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

At this point, I'm glad that my family life will not allow me to go queue for RSD for four hours in order to buy records. Last year I showed up at the very last minute to Vintage Vinyl (literally 10 minutes before they closed) and scored the Luna albums and the Scrach Perry 10" set. Ultimately, I think it's good for independent shops, although I have heard that the mandatory ordering requirements often result in stores being stuck with all kinds of dumb releases that they can't sell (7" reissues, for example). I'm on the same page as Redcloud in that I feel like I buy so many records on a regular basis that I consider myself exempt from dealing with the ridiculous crowds on RSD.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote:Carlton Melton Live In Europe 2012 LP, Mugstar Centralia LP, Moon Duo Circles Remixed LP, Bardo Pond Rise Above It All 2 Track 12" featuring covers of Funkadelic's 'Maggot Brain' and Pharaoh Sanders 'The Creator Has A Master Plan'
I really, really want to get hold of these records but, at the same time, I certainly won't be getting up ridiculously early and standing in a queue for hours and I can certainly empathise with Redcloud's and The Warmth's pessimism over RSD. Last year I got to my local record store about 7.30am, queued for 3 hours and was still hours away from getting in the shop. I gave up and came home, had lunch and came back into town later in the day. By then the queue was all but gone so I went in and still managed to get most of what I was after. I'm aiming to go in later this year and hope that what I want is still available.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i can identify with the pessimism as well. it causes a frenzy mentality that's kind of disappointing to say the least.
i'm just going to do what i do every year- try my best to only get what i'm after out of the limited edition items (it's usually only a few). i've found if i can't get them on the day extras usually turn up within a few months. as the frenzy dies down a lot of the items depreciate in value fairly quickly. i might give the permanent records midnight sale a try this year.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Preview of Beak> 10" available here...

http://thequietus.com/articles/11833-be ... -store-day
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

sunray wrote:I'm assuming some people here are still interested in it despite all the negative aspects. Full list isn't out until tomorrow but there are some nice releases, which i'm sure peeps here wouldn't mind having, that are known so far:
The Heads 'Everybody Knows..' cassette. Kind of annoying that we're still waiting on the 2 cd reissue that was supposed to come out last year but here's a tape instead to tide us over. What's definitely annoying is that, being a sad collector, I'll have to get this 'cos it's on the band's Rooster label :roll: I wouldn't touch it otherwise!
I'm looking forward to this, not just because it's the Heads and I don't own this album, but I think cassettes are about as cool as I'll ever be. Fuck cdrs, they should start putting out some limited tapes, in paper bags.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

citizensmurf wrote: but I think cassettes are about as cool as I'll ever be. Fuck cdrs, they should start putting out some limited tapes, in paper bags.
I think we have already been down that path (cassettes) in another thread. I really hate the fact they are trying to resurrect this medium. I see no other reason other than the "cool retro factor".
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hope everyone manages to get hold of what they're after tomorrow. For me, as long as I get hold of the live Carltom Melton vinyl I'll be happy. There are about another 5 or 6 records that I'd like to get my hands on but it won't be the end of the world if I miss out. I certainly won't be queuing from a ridiculous hour outside my local record store. Especially when they've just announced on FB and Twitter that the first person started queing from 7pm this evening, 13 hours before the doors open!!! :shock: :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

sadly permanent records isn't able to do their midnight sale any more. they're opening at 7am tomorrow and i'm actually going to wake up early enough to get there by then- i have to be at work later in the day, so it's best if i try and get my running around and waiting in line done early. plus if they run out of what i'm looking for i can stop at reckless (who open at 10) and it's on my way home. i'm really only looking to get a handful of the 7" releases. permanent is the only place in town that actually might carry that verve EP as well.
Ringo
New user

Post by Ringo »

Really disappointed this year, scored a big fat zero - and then go home check eBay and bastards selling on there for stupid prices (not the first year). I know you can't stop this happening but it really does wind me up especially when there's only one store in the whole of the second city of the UK participating. I left stuff there that I could have bought and sold but couldn't/wouldn't do it

There's even divs on there selling the free badge FFS!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I got most of what I wanted. Not amused to see people advertising £6.99 singles on eBay for £35.99 + postage. If anybody needs a Heads cassette, my local shop had 5 left. Hipper than vinyl I believe!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Nothing on US lists got me out of bed early this morning. Overpriced reissues don't interest me, nor do they fit my limited budget.

If i run across a Cheech & Chong single that's been left behind, I may pick it up for fun.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I'm with davedecay. Nothing that is making me excited on this list. Instead I'll be in the back yard building a new shed.

There are some interesting choices for reissues though. Country Joe & The Fish's brilliant 2nd LP for example (have they reissued the LP complete with the Fish game?). For those who like hard rock I recommend the Dust albums (I have originals of both). The first is good, solid proto metal from early 70's and features Marky Bell/"Ramone" before he joined The Ramones and Kenny Aaronson. Their second LP has a wider musical palette and better songwriting but doesn't have the primal rock and roll feel of the 1st. It does, however, have a cool Frank Frazetta cover before Molly Hatchet used him on every one of their releases.

I also see Neal Casal has released a 7" of the Dead's beautiful 'Mountains of the Moon' from 1969's 'Aoxomoxoa' LP. Oh, and there is an EP of reissued tunes by Gonn....a brilliant garage band from Iowa ('Blackout of Gretely' is one of the greatest slabs of 60's American garage punk ever committed to tape!). But, I recommend avoiding this RSD EP and instead picking up Sundazed's great Gonn comp titled "Loudest Band in Town".
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote:I got most of what I wanted. Not amused to see people advertising £6.99 singles on eBay for £35.99 + postage. If anybody needs a Heads cassette, my local shop had 5 left. Hipper than vinyl I believe!
Olan, check your PM's.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

If the Verve EP release had the full versions of Gravity Grave and She's A Superstar, I might pony up for it. But I'm quite sure I won't spend whatever the Ebay vultures are charging.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I didn't get up early and came away with the following:
There Are But Four Small Faces 180 gram LP
Robyn Hitchcock There Goes The Ice LP
White Stripes- Elephant LP
Taj Mahal- Natch'L Blues 180 gram LP
Sigur Ros Aegetis LP
Plus
Pretty Things Real Pretty US double Lp w/SF Sorrow + Parachute
Orig The Who- Sell Out Decca US LP
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I really wanted the See Emily Play 7". Couldn't go to a record shop today, but already there seems to be a number on eBay at various prices ranging from fairly low starting bids to ridiculous £50 efforts. Hoping prices will drop as there seems to be a lot of them up already.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Last minute decision made to go to Monorail records... queue wasn't too bad (had been queued half way down the street earlier in the morning), but unfortunately they had no Carlton Melton LPs left. Sensibly, they had a large board up with all the sold out stuff so you didn't actually have to wait to be disappointed. Was busiest i've seen it... seemed a more mature and genuine clientele. Home baking and face painting for the kids too. Good atmosphere with bands lined up to play too. Even though i didn't get anything, i enjoyed the occasion and had a chat with some friendly faces.

Went up to Love Music (previously Avalanche) which was just a shambles. Massive queue which didn't appaer to be moving at all even though the shop wasn't very busy at all. No indication of sell outs either. I asked a young girl at the door if there was a list of what stuff was sold out and she looked at me like i was daft. I asked if she wouldn't mind asking someone if there was any Carlton Melton LPs left (if they even had any) to which her response was "Who??? Sorry i'm too busy to go find out". She promptly turned away from me and started chatting with another group of hipster kids that were hovering about the door with their RSD bags. If she had checked for me, i would have happily stood in the queue for an hour in the off chance i could have got it, but i wasn't willing to stand in the queue for an hour with no idea if they even had the bloody thing.

Totally pissed me off and just another indicator of how some of these places will never ever get my money.

No sign of any CM albums on eBay as of yet, so will just have to keep my eyes peeled for online stores still having a copy. If anyone knows of any, let me know.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spzretent wrote:I
Pretty Things Real Pretty US double Lp w/SF Sorrow + Parachute
Back in the mid 80's when I first heard the Pretties it was this LP that was playing in the background and made me take notice. Original releases of both 'SF Sorrow' and 'Parachute' were much harder to find back then. As a teen this 2 for 1 LP was a real gem and one of my prized possessions. Man, I wore those grooves out! :D
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i got nearly everything i really wanted. i was going to buy the cure/glove reissues, but they're a bit steep at $27 each for two records i already have on vinyl.
i've been up since 6. have 30 minutes at home before i have to head to work, too. kind of a drag as speck mountain are playing for free at 2pm.

anyway, i got-

tame impala 12"
thee oh sees- 'moon sick' 12"
sharon van etten- 'we are fine' 7" (i got the last copy at reckless- that kind of luck is very rare for me)
shearwater/sharon van etten- 'stop dragging my heart around' 7"
elliott smith- 'either/or' alternate versions 7"

only two things i missed out on that i really wanted were the brian jonestown massacre 12" and ty segall's t-rex covers 7".

i'm going to try and get the verve EP later if i can.

advice for anyone trying to get releases after the fact if you wait a few weeks the prices always drop dramatically, even on ebay. resist the frenzy mentality.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Laz69 wrote: Went up to Love Music (previously Avalanche) which was just a shambles. Massive queue which didn't appaer to be moving at all even though the shop wasn't very busy at all. No indication of sell outs either. I asked a young girl at the door if there was a list of what stuff was sold out and she looked at me like i was daft. I asked if she wouldn't mind asking someone if there was any Carlton Melton LPs left (if they even had any) to which her response was "Who??? Sorry i'm too busy to go find out". She promptly turned away from me and started chatting with another group of hipster kids that were hovering about the door with their RSD bags. If she had checked for me, i would have happily stood in the queue for an hour in the off chance i could have got it, but i wasn't willing to stand in the queue for an hour with no idea if they even had the bloody thing. .
Yeah it was a mess, the shop is tiny and they had bands playing.. ugh. Had to queue outside too, but managed to get to the record piles in 20 min or so.
If I were you I'd give them a call and try again tomorrow - I got the CM 2xLP from them at around 3.30/4pm.
I also got the Moon Duo remix LP and that's it. I really would've liked the Pulp and Ukrainians 12" but these were sold out.

I also headed to Volcanic Tongue, who didn't have much of an RSD stash (they still had Bardo Pond and a couple of other things). It was my first time in - and I appreciated the quiet after LoveMusic, so I browsed some more, they really do obscure stuff!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I hope this does not annoy those who missed out, but the Carlton Melton LP is a absolutely magnificent, despite the iffy speckled vinyl (think Pavement Pizza). The Durutti Column LP is a piece of work too......
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Nobody's mentioned the Damon & Naomi but this is a cool release and easy to get. Great artwork and a good pressing. Primal Scream have a great 12' with a special cover of 'I Want You' and The Bardo Pond is also worth getting. Didn't head out to 3 and still had all of these together with The Heads tape which I am still struggling with on this format. For all the eBay vultures it was still great to see so many people in a record store. If nothing else this made me smile and again if you can get the D & M release it is well worth picking up.

Cheers RSD
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I spent my RSD listing records for sale on Discogs.

An original pressing of Isn't Anything on Creation.

If record buyers are OK with spending $30 for a colored wax reissue of a quasi-good record, I'm happy to sell my 1988 collectable for more than that.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I went later to the shops and didn't have to wait in a single line. Got some of the things i wanted. No sign of The Fall's 7" though. If anyone has an extra, PM me!
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

I spent the morning in bed sleeping in, then went to do a dj set in my local record store, then ordered the stuff I wanted of the rsd releaes ( verve ep, tame impala 12", what have you), but missed out on, cause my store only got a few copies that were gone by the time i woke up, online from various record shops, since they were appearently leftover there. So a pretty good record store day all in all :D Even got some free records as a thank you for my dj-ing, how about that!?
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

ot home from Oxford where the offending Fire Spacemen 3 reissues mentioned elsewhere were present - well, Performance and Sound of Confusion were spotted. Not sure if they were actually part of RSD.

Came home with a copy of 13th Floor Elevators Wait for My Love /May the Circle... 7", remastered by Sonic Boom. Turns out this is a RSD 2011 release and mighty fine it is too.
Didn't recognise the name of the lead track but it appears to be Til Then from Bull of The Woods - which, in a curve ball move is actually my favourite 13th Floor Elevators lp. Certainly the one i play most often.

Only other comment on RSD is that the repress of Echo and the Bunnymen's Crocodiles has atrocious artwork. The colours of the original trip scene washed into one matt wholly fuzzshlick horribleness. The woods do not look like that. In any light. Not a difficult lp to find is great full colour condition for 99p.
Heavy Tourism
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Went looking for a copy of The Flaming Lips new lp stuffed in a live alligator. Settled for spite and derision.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

This was posted on Facebook by the record store in my neck of the woods, Ignition Music. I thought some of you may find it interesting:
Top 10 Lessons learned from my second Record Store Day:
1. Buy more records... we bought double, so did you.
2. Give your customers a good experience.... they will support you.
3. Don't look at eBay prices for the LTD ED piece that you made $10 on and is being sold for $500.
4. Don't buy expensive box sets....
5. Mark down your expensive box sets one week after RSD, not one year later.
6. Follow the RSD pledge to the letter, but help people find the records they want. Even if you have to suggest a record to the friend of a friend who is sick.
7. Connect with your local public radio station, support them as they are part of the musical ecosystem. Thanks to 91.1 The Globe.
8. Mark every title clearly with a placard, and set them out in alphabetical order. Everyone knows when they are gone.
9. Let people browse your RSD section before you open it for buying. Help them locate the titles they want.
10. Give customers a reason to come back every weekend for another Record Store Day. Buy cool records - price them right - and thank your customers every day for being part of something so cool.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I was working so missed the whole thing - which happens every year. I think a campaign to have it on Sundays is in order!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I had the little 'un yesterday as my other half was away so getting into town for RSD was always going to be pretty tough. My parents had offered to take him off for my hands for a couple of hours so I could go in. Having queued up for 3 hours last year from 7am and still only managed to get half way down the queue (I gave up, came home and went back in the afternoon when the queue had almost disappeared) I decided to take my parents up on their offer and headed to the store about 1ish. To my amazement there were still over hundred people in the queue even though the store had opened its doors at 7am!

I came home and planned on heading back into town with the boy around 4ish hoping the queue would have gone by then. Just to be safe I called them first only to find out that the shop was still rammed and that, come 5.30/6, they would be having an instore performance from Tom Odell (who?!) and that it wouldn't be ideal to bring a pram in. On the plus side they told me all the records, apart from the Brian Jonestown Massacre 12", were still available. So, I drove in this morning walked straight into the shop as it opened at 10am and grabbed the following:-

Bardo Pond - Rise Above It All
Beta Band - The Patty Patty Sound
Beta Band - Los Amigos Del Beta Bandidos
Beta Band - Champion Versions
Carlton Melton - Live In Europe
Goat - Run To Your Mama Remixes Vol.2

I also managed to pick up the Verve EP from another little record store yesterday and had already received the Mugstar LP direct from Cardinal Fuzz so it's been a pretty good/expensive haul for me this year :D

I guess I'm lucky in that Resident Records in Brighton have twice been voted best RSD record store so they get a large allocation of each of the releases. Plus, I guess the music we enjoy here on the forum isn't to most people's taste. As for RSD itself, I know that Resident had their best takings through the till ever yesterday and they have a very strong and regular customer base so I know it works for them. There's little they or any other store can do about the flippers and E-Bay poachers and I certainly wouldn't take the drastic step of sleeping outside the store like some did to secure what I wanted. By chance, this year I've managed to get 99% of what I wanted by going in the next day but I don't think it's going to be a system that's going to work every year. I don't feel obliged to spend a lot on RSD after all the other money I put their way month in month out but I feel it's good for the stores and the awareness it creates.

So all in all, apart from the added expense, I'm very happy.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

jadams501 wrote:If the Verve EP release had the full versions of Gravity Grave and She's A Superstar, I might pony up for it. But I'm quite sure I won't spend whatever the Ebay vultures are charging.
have these not been released before?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I could only get Codeine, and that's cause a friend picked it up for me and I will pay him later. Really wanted the sigur ros hvarf heim release, as well as the US agaetis byrjun. JAMC, Low/Dirty three also...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

burningwheel wrote:
jadams501 wrote:If the Verve EP release had the full versions of Gravity Grave and She's A Superstar, I might pony up for it. But I'm quite sure I won't spend whatever the Ebay vultures are charging.
have these not been released before?
The Verve EP has truncated edits of Gravity Grave and She's A Superstar, as opposed to the full versions from the singles. Sadly the edits nearly ruin both songs -- they're not bad, but the closing jams are where they come to fruition and the Verve magic really comes out.

The singles compilation from about ten years ago, This Is Music, included subtle remixes of the full-length Gravity Grave and the edited She's A Superstar. So far as I know, the full original versions of both songs have only been released on the original singles.

If the Verve EP included the full versions and All In The Mind/One Way To Go from the first single, it would have made for a stronger debut album than Storm In Heaven imho.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I was outside Piccadilly Records in Manchester at 4am, which was a good call as I was about 60th in the queue and despite being there that early still missed out on Stephen Malkmus LP.
I appreciate the cynics, but for me its a great thing and Record Stores have been through and still go through tough times, so if they want to stick the prices up a bit, whatever, Im showing my support to the indespendants and will continue to do so. I do agree though, the re-releasing of certain albums is a pointless cash in and i seldom purchace these.
For the record I picked up the following; Goat, Carlton Melton, Mugstar, Smoke fairies, Giant Sand, Ty Segall, Thee Oh Sees, Mercury Rev (they only got one copy so i was very lucky), REM, Trouble in Mind Split 7", Primal Scream, The Fall, Mark Lanegan and Duke Garwood, Moon Duo, maybe some more that I cant recall as well.
Great spirits whilst queing up and the time passed pretty quick, the excitement and anticpation of getting hopefully what you want will always get me out of bed at daft o clock. Its only once a year so why not
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

oh and Bardo pond as well !
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

FWIW, the bass guitarist from Mugstar was helping out in Probe on Saturday. He seemed like a really nice bloke. All-in-all I managed to get:
Bardo Pond - Rise Above It All – LP
Beak> - 0898/Welcome To The Machine 10" vinyl
Beta Band All 3 Releases
Carlton Melton - Live Europe '12 - 2LP
Conny Plank/Various - The Conny Plank Rework Sessions - 12"
Goat - Run To Your Mama Remixes Volume 1&2
Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood - Cold Molly - 10"
Mogwai/Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat - Special N (L. Pierre Remix)/The Copper Top (Remixed By Plasmatron For Mogwai) - 7"
Moon Duo - Circles Remixed – LP
Section 25 - My Outrage
Sigur Ros - HVARF/HEIM - 2LP
Tame Impala - Tame Impala EP
The Durutti Column - Paean To Wilson - 2LP
The Heads - Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere – MC

This looks like a mad splurge, but as real life has interupted my normal record buying/forum posting habits for the last six to seven weeks, :cry: it was more a case of spending some £££ that I had managed to save by accident :roll:

The Moon Duo Remixes LP is not doing it for me at all. In many ways this is a real surprise as there is little or nothing that MD or Wooden Shjips have released in the past that I don't like. This includes the previous remixes LPs they have released. The remixes of Circles are pretty anodyne really, which is the last thing I expected.....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

spzretent wrote:I saw the Low/Dirty Three today. Let me know if you need it. Shipping is expensive from here, US though.
Thanks for the offer, I just spoke with Norman Records and they still have this. They're making it all available online from Saturday. They have a lot of stuff left, you can see the list on their site if anyone needs anything. They've not sold out of most things....
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

A heads up for some of you perhaps. Just popped into Action Records in Preston, they have a quite a bit of stuff left including one copy of the Sigur Ros LP which i know a few people missed out on.
I grabbed the Calexico LP
Seems as though there were not anywhere near enough Stephen Malkmus Lp's to go round most stores only getting one or two !!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote: If the Verve EP included the full versions and All In The Mind/One Way To Go from the first single, it would have made for a stronger debut album than Storm In Heaven imho.
amen to that! some of the band's best work there. can you imagine this as a debut album? it may not have been as rounded and varied a record as ASIH but would have been quite a trip.
also it is me or is One Way To Go one of their most underrated songs? it's kind of them ripping off the Stone Roses but it's so magical.

All In The Mind
One Way to Go
A Man Called Sun
Shes a Superstar
Feel
Gravity Grave
Endless Life

being a CD rather than vinyl person, RSD was never really for me, however my housemate does 'do' vinyl so we checked it out.

we got there late morning so most things were gone (no Twilight Sad, or Dirty Three/Low, both things we were after), but there was a great atmosphere, bands playing etc. I ended up buying a bunch of non-RSD stuff, I guess the day did the trick in that sense (of just generally getting people into the store and buying product). also went to another small record store in my town that I literally didn't know existed before!! so in my case the day certainly achieved it's aim of increasing trade for small music shops.

one thing I would say is that they could cater more for CD buyers like me as well as vinyl junkies. I remember reading somewhere that they were trying to do more CD stuff this year, however looking on the list there was only a handful of CD's that caught my eye (Hendrix, REM, Built to Spill, Codeine..)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I went into Probe in Liverpool today. They still have a bunch of Heads cassettes and copies of the Carlton Melton album as well as a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember all of (Beta Band, Orange Juice etc etc)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

for anyone who's looking for that carlton melton double lp in the states, they have copies at permanent records that you can now order through their site-

https://shop.permanentrecordschicago.com/?page=2
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Resident Records here in Brighton are now putting up the rest of their RSD stock for sale online from midnight tonight. I see they still have The Heads cassette and the Carlton Melton and Codeine live LP's:-

http://www.resident-music.com/collectio ... 064&page=1
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I was surprised at just how much stuff was still available online this morning. Carlton Melton, The Heads, Goat, Moon Duo etc.
For those who missed out on the Bardo Pond and Steve Malkmus releases, a quick google search will find you free d/loads.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Norman Records have lots of releases up and managed to get my hands on the 2x12" Goat releases, the Bardo Pond 12" and the Carlton Melton.. so it was a good start to the day here
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]