blue on blue LGM outtakes vol 2

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Ordered it today and doubt i'll take as much time to listened to this than i have with Guitar Loops so far, which i've still not listened to.
runcible wrote:Must rate as album of the year so far I reckon.
I bought the new Cinematic Orchestra album, 'Ma Fleur', yesterday and that is my album of the year so far. If 'Blue On Blue' comes close to that i'll be very happy.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

charles w wrote: Ever downloaded music for free yourself ?

Thought so......hypocrite.
you asked the wrong person asshole.
I HAVE NEVER DOWNLOADED ANYTHING!
I'll tell you what I think is even worse. That some dickhead like you is posting something like this. Not everyone downloads.
Pretty soon you'll have no decent bands to download because they wont be able to make living because of people like you.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:
charles w wrote: Ever downloaded music for free yourself ?

Thought so......hypocrite.
you asked the wrong person asshole.
I HAVE NEVER DOWNLOADED ANYTHING!
I'll tell you what I think is even worse. That some dickhead like you is posting something like this. Not everyone downloads.
Pretty soon you'll have no decent bands to download because they wont be able to make living because of people like you.
Agreed. Much as I may hold spzretent dear as a respected colleague he is a total amateur when it comes to downloading, burning, ripping etc. The guy can't even copy a disc let alone download anything (and I should know as I've been hassling him to get me stuff for years), so you've fallen into a trap you seem to have innocently designed yourself.

And his opinion is spot on here. You've been caught out charlie boy.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

On a vaughely related topic - I'm having a Sunday night of playing loads of 7" records - some I haven't listened to in years. I'm absoloutely loving it.

Isn't it a beautiful feeling putting on a record you haven't heard in a long time onto a turntable? Soaking up the rich sound, watching the record spin and gazing at the artwork. You're transported to that special place that made you first fall in love with music. It's amazing.

I don't understand how anyone can get the same feeling from an MP3.

I'm coming over all "jumpers for goalposts" but I don't care. I'll never tire of it.
Spamuel L. Jackson

Post by Spamuel L. Jackson »

Fuzzhead wrote:I don't understand how anyone can get the same feeling from an MP3.
What pisses me off is how some so-called lovers of music really don't give a shit that the experience of going out, buying something new and rushing home for the first spin is being phased out. I'm all up for the unearthing - and exchange - of rare materials online for research and discovery, that's not what disgusts me. What fucks me off is people choosing to download mp3's at some crappy online store over the thrill of hitting the shops and bringing the real deal home with them. I'll never choose that, and the people who would don't fucking love music. End of story.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Spamuel:
I think we are the last generation who will know that feeling.
what a pity.
I feel I owe to bands to buy their music. The put their heart on their sleeve(pun sort of intended). if I am interested i am going to buy it.
hell, i've bought quite a few of the bands on this message board that have either taken the time to post or their name was posted by someone on here.
Mainline
Peoples Revolutionary Choir
The Second Floor

And I wouldn't download if i could. OR, if I did I would still search out and buy the actual artifact.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fuzzhead wrote:I don't understand how anyone can get the same feeling from an MP3.
Spamuel L. Jackson wrote:What fucks me off is people choosing to download mp3's at some crappy online store over the thrill of hitting the shops and bringing the real deal home with them. I'll never choose that, and the people who would don't fucking love music. End of story...
Agreed. I mean, does anyone else still wait for payday to come around each month only to blow far too much of it on records and cds and sort of regret it but deep down not really worried cause you are going home with a bag of hopefully great music which is gonna give you sustenance and happiness even though the bills need to be paid and you've only got tinned soup left - [hey, maybe thats just me.]

But like a fuckin' download is gonna do that, aye right...

Like that recent Iggy Stooge album. Way before it was out there was a bit of debate on how pish it was etc which was almost a shame as I waited until the fucker hit the shops till buying it. I don't believe that made any dent in the charts at all - and really who cares about that - but I did wonder how many more copies would have sold of that if it hadn't been burned around the world prior to official release. And yeah, like whatever, but I'd rather Iggy, the Ashetons and Mike Watt got some pence off me than nothing at all. And i would say that about any artists I admire.

Why don't the zombie downloaders go and download the fuck out of The 'Kings' of Leon and Orson instead cause it would be nice if they disappeared.... :roll:

Ok that wasn't funny.

But as already said here this album only costs 12 pounds! Just buy it etc
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Seems like the board elders are quite rankled here. Not just mods but Fuzzhead and Spamuel as well.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

"This will be the last of these releases.
I feel that it hurts nobody .
It is very limited and , I guess , is of specific interest to a small, but loyal, following,only a percentage of whom will actually buy it .
You , presumably , want to hear it , and I , finally, make a little return on the
work that I put into these songs all those years ago .
I really enjoyed listening to this cd and it brought back some of the good times that I had whilst being involved with the making of this music .
I hope you find something to love on it .

If you could bear not to make this freely available to share for a month or so, you might give me the opportunity to flee the country before I am crushed like a bug
by some monolithic organisation .
thankyou"

Show Willie some respect and buy the fucker, ok? Your soul will be rewarded in ways yet to be revealed.
I think I feel it coming on
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

i must concur with spzretent! I purchased the first one and even though we may not agree on the album, I completly agree with him that the artist should get their cut. I am very happy and look forward to receiving it this week.

Mark
Design.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

for us in the states, the price is a bit high, but that's exchange rate and all.

so sadly i will have to pass, though if i saw it in a shop for say $18-$20 (it's 2 discs, right) i might splurge.

a musician friend of mine sells his CDRs for $5, and i buy all of them.
http://brotherjt.com/index.cfm

yes, he's been on internationally released labels; Birdman, Bar None, Drag City, etc. yes, his records have had critical acclaim. yes, he's had a video aired on MTV. yes, his music is spiritual and psychedelic and rocking and lots of other adjectives.

different people have different financial situations. i spent $300 on paint for my garage this weekend, and spent 11 hours painting today because i can't afford to hire professional painters. i know i'm lucky to have a garage and a nice house, but the cost of everything continues to rise. yet, my salary does not, so i have to cut back where i can, and that's usually music expenditures.

the last time i put love of music over common sense, i sent P.K. money for a 2CDR set and it took 5 or 6 months to get it. yes, it's good; but the wait took much of the pleasure out of the purchase.

just my £2 (inflation, you know)
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

davedecay wrote:
just my £2 (inflation, you know)

haha, too true.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

davedecay wrote: a musician friend of mine sells his CDRs for $5, and i buy all of them.
http://brotherjt.com/index.cfm

yes, he's been on internationally released labels; Birdman, Bar None, Drag City, etc. yes, his records have had critical acclaim. yes, he's had a video aired on MTV. yes, his music is spiritual and psychedelic and rocking and lots of other adjectives.
Thats sooo cool!!! I love Brother JT!!!

Recently managed to source and buy a copy of his album with Vibrolux. Thats was really cool. Plus my my kids like some of his tracks too (namely the one they refer to as the "froggy song": Whatcha Gonna Do from "Maybe We Should Take Some More" album)
Will have to explore his site further...
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

happy birthday for recently laz.

i dropped my monies off for both blue on blue and a belated copy of friendly fire last week, and the man i gave the cash to tells me the version of this blues is superb.

i look forward to their arrival.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

andyblacktoo wrote:happy birthday for recently laz.

i dropped my monies off for both blue on blue and a belated copy of friendly fire last week, and the man i gave the cash to tells me the version of this blues is superb.

Where did you manage to get friendly fire from? Still haven't managed to get hold of that myself
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

sadly, i got his last one i believe.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I can't wait to get this in the mail. Should be any day now....

I wish there was a similar source of outtakes for the Pure Phase sessions. It would be great to hear some of those songs in their infancy.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Looks like Sean Cook doesn't care about collecting music:

http://www.nme.com/news/spiritualized/28332

I find it really depressing.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Spiritualized "Star"? Thats generous.
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

spzretent wrote:Spiritualized "Star"? Thats generous.
I know - but I bet Sean Cook doesn't mind.

How can this album be a download-only "record"? Isn't that a contradiction by NME.

I'm really disappointed Sean Cook's only releasing this as an MP3. I have all Lupine Howl's albums and really like them.

I'd buy The Flies album if I could - but not digitally. Surely he'll press a limited batch on CD?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

I suspect that it is simply not economical for Sean to release a real record. I doubt that it's his first choice not to make a physical artifact.

Although... while I know exactly where everyone on this thread is coming from about real records (or CDs, or whatever), I do sometimes worry when I look at my shelves full of plastic, vinyl, aluminum and cardboard, all in the name of music. When I transfered my VHS library to DVD, I did rather recoil at the mountain of plastic that went to the landfill. Shouldn't we be keen on anything that avoids the need for the creation of more stuff?

If it weren't for the fact that downloads are crappy mp3s instead of a lossless format, I'd be up for a change in my music buying culture.

Love,

Ian
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Both CDs are available from this website http://www.musicstack.com/
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BzaInSpace wrote:Agreed. I mean, does anyone else still wait for payday to come around each month only to blow far too much of it on records and cds and sort of regret it but deep down not really worried cause you are going home with a bag of hopefully great music which is gonna give you sustenance and happiness even though the bills need to be paid and you've only got tinned soup left - [hey, maybe thats just me.]
and me, this weekend!
got the Stooges "Till the End of the NIght" and so learn that (via liner notes) ... they've covered the Ballad of Hollis Brown??
Is this true and therefore amazing.
I also picked up "The Mighty Earth, Wind and Fire"
Jazz Butcher, "Cult of the Basement"
and
Edwin Hawkins Singers "Let Us Go Into The house of The Lord"
all to augment my last week's spend-o-rama on Blue on Blue, which I sure am looking forward to.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Just got Blue on Blue in the US. Sounds great to me!
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

i must say that the attitude of the dude. who wants to get a free copy...is really depressing. and shows that we are truly fucked musically in the future. the idea that WILL "Lazer Guided" CARRUTHERS from Spacemen 3 and Spz. Has offered a few tapes from band practice and gigs or something and has cleaned them up as an archivist and is offering them to the fans...that is remarkable!

imagine the bassist who worked with ELVIS offering unheard tapes. would some FAN want them for free?

everybody hurts sometime. :cry:
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

This album arrived yesterday and i only ordered it on Sunday. Big thanks to Will and friends who helped him put this together (could not of done it all by himself) and thanks to Will, Mark, Kate, Jonny and Jason for their contributions on the album.

Considering it is only unreleased mixes, demos and outtakes the sound quality of the album is quite remarkable. Think i might buck the trend here though and suggest that to me, and this is just my opinion (for what it's worth), that this album is a grower and not and instant with me. On first listen Friendly Fire made more of an initial impact. I'm not saying this isn't any good because clearly it is, just that comparing both FF & BB, Friendly Fire is prefered more than this one at the moment. I shall not give up.......It's certainly a GROWER

Also, the new Cinematic Orchestra studio album is my album of the year so far so if you can afford that, try and buy it... 8) .
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got my copy through yesterday day. Loving it to be honest. These Blues is ace. Well done Will.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Got mine yesterday, Its brill. Particularly love the takes of Angel Sigh, complete with studio banter and feedback.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

still waiting.... and waiting....and waiting........ :cry:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

while we yanks are waiting, has anyone actually heard the Stooges version of Hollis Brown?
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

angelsighs wrote:
andyblacktoo wrote:happy birthday for recently laz.

Where did you manage to get friendly fire from? Still haven't managed to get hold of that myself
Angelsighs, if you're still after a copy of Friendly Fire, this reputable company are still selling it:

http://www.sisterray.co.uk/
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Fantastic!!! Great job Will.

M
Design.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

Ian wrote: Although... while I know exactly where everyone on this thread is coming from about real records (or CDs, or whatever), I do sometimes worry when I look at my shelves full of plastic, vinyl, aluminum and cardboard, all in the name of music. When I transfered my VHS library to DVD, I did rather recoil at the mountain of plastic that went to the landfill. Shouldn't we be keen on anything that avoids the need for the creation of more stuff?

If it weren't for the fact that downloads are crappy mp3s instead of a lossless format, I'd be up for a change in my music buying culture.

Love,

Ian
This is clearly the most sane thing that's been said in this thread. The vehement attraction we all seem to share to the genuine physical article - I've got it as bad as anyone - may be sincere, but it's nothing but neurosis, neurosis serving the interests of a handful of capitalists, including the oil execs who are having a chortle over how much plastic the likes of us supposedly avowed lefties consume. Maybe it was our mothers ruining our teddy bears in the wash that did it.

As long as the artist gets paid, and paid well, and we get a product that sounds true to life, it shouldn't matter what format it's in.

That said, I own three different CD editions of Sonny Rollins's Saxophone Colossus and four of Gene Clark With the Gosdin Brothers/Echoes and if anyone lays a finger on any of 'em that's the last he'll see of that finger.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

I was napping while Blue On Blue was playing, and I would occasionally wake up and listen and doze back off. I woke up when Angel Sigh started and I was half asleep and it got to the part where normally a huge burst of guitars and shit rings out... "girl you know the reason why..." and I started to whince a little... and instead it had that laid back break and I smiled and dozed back off.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

The first version of Angel Sigh from Blue of Blue is one of the best ever.
We had a moment the other morning walking in the rain.
johanur
Known user

Post by johanur »

I agree. The ending of that version is making me cry. Absolutly fantastic.
And then we have Step into the breeze is beautiful beyond belief.
Melodies that will go on and on....
Top stuff Will. many thanks.

ononist wrote:The first version of Angel Sigh from Blue of Blue is one of the best ever.
We had a moment the other morning walking in the rain.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

ro wrote:while we yanks are waiting, has anyone actually heard the Stooges version of Hollis Brown?
Got mine yesterday here in the States so they should start showing up soon for everyone. I've bought quite a few cds from will including his most recent(and stellar) freelovebabies cd and they always arrive safe and sound. it does takes some time to get over here but the tunes are always well worth the wait.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

agreed, SpaceLine.
very good indeed.
:D
mine arrived and though I haven't given a proper listen yet, Sometimes may be my favorite thing on there.

as far as Hollis Brown.. sadly I've never seen the Stooges live, so I didn't know it was something they've been doing at shows..
if someone can give a nice review? I suppose this should be in another thread..
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I just ordered mine. Looking forward to loving it from all of the ravings I've heard on this thread.

And I just found an old house I'm going to move into in July. I'm getting the "blue room" (walls are blue). How apropos....
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I haven't bought Blue on Blue, mainly because I crashed my car at the end of last month and paying to repair it wiped me out almost to the last penny this month. Think I'll try and find one this month though if I can.

I think people should fork out for releases like this. It's not as if the likes of Will and Sonic are rolling in it. I'd have less of a problem downloading a mainstream artist's stuff but it's still not really justifiable. If I've bought a couple of albums by an artist already I might download another, but I have a general rule with downloading. If it's available in the shops, go buy it. The internet is great for finding long-deleted and unreleased stuff, but seriously, who wants to hear a shitty 128kbps MP3 of their favourite artist's work? I can't believe the quality of some of the live SP3 .flac files I've downloaded. They're amazing. I know they're relatively big files but why they aren't the industry standard I have no idea.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i am amazingalized.
future belongs to outtakes.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Q: What is volume 1? Is it good? Where can I get it?

(AKA: is it Friendly Fire?)
cappin
Known user

Post by cappin »

How can I get this in my ears!? For some reason i didn't see this section of the forum

x
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Finally! I get to listen to my very own copy of this gem!
Its hard to put into words how much enjoyment I will get out of these two releases. To have unreleased versions and demos from one of your favorite records ever is astonishing. And such nice quality. Nicer than an MP3 too.
Nice one. I am forever grateful.
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

toomilk wrote:Q: What is volume 1? Is it good? Where can I get it?

(AKA: is it Friendly Fire?)
Yes, yes, and yes.

Did anyone end up getting two copies and would like to swap for a Friendly Fire...? :)
. . . heligoland . . .
29.11.07 mécanique ondulatoire, paris // 16.01.08 divan du monde, paris
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just got my [paid] copy today. The packaging is beautiful.
spooks
Known user

Post by spooks »

got my copy from sister ray,
barry_uk
New user

Post by barry_uk »

Angelsighs, if you're still after a copy of Friendly Fire, this reputable company are still selling it:

http://www.sisterray.co.uk/[/quote]

I got Friendly Fire from Sister Ray it had full artwork but was a cdr (with a printed label)

are all Friendly Fires the same?
toomilk
Known user

Re: blue on blue LGM outtakes vol 2

Post by toomilk »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have a few copies. Some of which have oxidized and dont play anymore. Triple ouch!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Please tell me there are digital versions or this somewhere... Should I go look in the real complete works thread?
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Pretty sure that it was available for free on the Prescriptions part of the site (when it was working).
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i still have the mp3 versions on a backup drive. if anyone wants an upload just say the word and it's done.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

the word
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

done!

'blue on blue'-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmugob42xrx32 ... 20Blue.zip

'friendly fire'-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlelh7e7fjtqw ... 20Fire.zip

this is nicely timed as i hadn't listened to either one in quite a while- some really amazing alternate mixes. 'angel sigh guitars' has always been my favourite from this.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

There's some truly golden material on these two discs. My highlights are:

1) "Shine A Light (Unreleased Mix)" on Friendly Fire. Jason's untreated voice and the raw, slashing guitars at the end almost raise this to the heady heights of the original. Wonderful stuff.

2) "If I Were With Her Now (Alt Mix)" on Blue on Blue. The main body of the song is pretty tame and not a patch on the LGM version, but the middle breakdown section :shock: oh my! Those picked "Lord Can You Hear Me?" notes with gorgeous guitar melodies ringing in the background make me swoon every time I hear them. Quite possibly the most beautiful minute of Spiritualized music I've heard, and that's saying something...

3) "Angel Sigh Guitars (Alt Mix)" on Blue on Blue. The comedy banter between Jason and (presumably) Willie B Carruthers, the naked clarity of Jason's untreated voice, the final notes feedbacking into infinity... wow :shock:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i have these in FLAC for anyone who wants lossless.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

shalloboi wrote:done!
Thank you so much for these!!!
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

I wish J would re-release Lazer and Pure Phase like Ladies & Gentlemen with all of the demo's, ideas and unreleased songs. I am surprised he has not re-released these albums in deluxe packages etc. I know he does not like looking backwards but I think the fans would love something like these.
Jason Burkett
devin91
New user

Post by devin91 »

Is Blue on Blue still available *anywhere*? I downloaded it a long time ago but only four tracks play correctly. I would really like to complete this album, as the four tracks are awesome -- would love to have the whole thing. Why is this so hard to find?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Blue On Blue reuploaded here:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/e645e2
devin91
New user

Post by devin91 »

Thank you so much - it was very disconcerting listening to one of my absolutely favorite albums with every other song missing - I think the culprit is iTunes match -- or something. In any case, thanks again!

I too agree with others on this board that Jason should release all the "old stuff" or even a compendium of everything. I would gladly pay a few hundred pounds for a true complete works, which are not contained in "The Complete Works" -- and I find that sometimes the outtakes and demos are phenomenal. For example, Blue on Blue is a critical transitional piece between the last Spacemen3 work and LGM. Without it, LGM seems disconnected to Jason & Pete's previous work.

Request to Jason Pierce: give some kind consideration to a complete release of your full body of music, in high quality CD recordings or FLAC, or whatever, so that your many fans can buy it and your new fans can get up to speed. You'd be surprised how many fans you have in the under-21 age bracket who have never even heard of some of the critical earlier albums -- they started with Ladies and Gentleman and never looked back -- while arguably your masterwork, I would say everyone should start with Spacemen3 and go forward...but in any case, thanks for creating phenomenal music that truly speaks to generations of listeners.

--Devin
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

unegrenouille
New user

Post by unegrenouille »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for "Blue on blue" (Unreleased mixes demos & outtakes 199o/1991). Please, can someone re-up it ? as you wish in AIFF, Flac or mp3.
Thank you in advance to all!
E.