Forwarded email from old Spiritualized list

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kind of like our own message board version of Sideways :oops:
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

yeah, except real men drink PORT!!!!! :lol:

xxxshonnxxx

p/s trader joes is a godsend for cheap "decent" liquor. god bless them.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Man - you ever had a serious port hangover? Its not funny. I once watched people having races over PINTS of port. They weren't well a bit later on.

Also - last Turley shipment featured their own version of port named 'Delinquent'. Fuckin' awesome it was. About $40 a half botle. I was allowed just one.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The deal w/Trader Joes is they buy off all the excess wines from a lot of the very good vineyards in wine country and sell it off as that Charles Shaw $3 buck Chuck. You never know what you are getting though. i have had some really bad bottles of it. But, at $3 you can pour it down the drain and not feel too bad. At Christmas I was watching people load cases of that stuff up. They must make tons off that wine.
Port? Haven't really been into that too much lately. I am way more of an afetr dinner(and all night) Single Malt Whiskey drinker.
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

spzretent wrote:The deal w/Trader Joes is they buy off all the excess wines from a lot of the very good vineyards in wine country and sell it off as that Charles Shaw $3 buck Chuck. You never know what you are getting though. i have had some really bad bottles of it. But, at $3 you can pour it down the drain and not feel too bad. At Christmas I was watching people load cases of that stuff up. They must make tons off that wine.
It's $2 buck chuck down here. Actually Trader Joes doesn't make it. They have an exclusive licensing deal for it. But yes you are exactly right about it being the excess grapes and never knowing what it's gonna be. You ask me it's urine in a bottle. But I'm telling ya, grab the new Trader Joes Presidents Reserve Cabernet. Really good times.
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

runcible wrote:I LOVE Zinfandel...
My roomate just busted out a bottle of Cardinal Zin (which has a label by the guy who drew the cover to "Fear and Loathing...") He's had it sitting on the counter for about a year. It wont last another week.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

spzretent wrote:Kind of like our own message board version of Sideways :oops:
I was thinking just that, except I didn't want to be the one to say it. I'm just tickled at the thought of we four recordshop sommeliers.

Of course any mildly obsessive-compulsive boy pushing middle-age is going to relate to Sideways. I hope it wins something. The scene in the restaurant is sheer cinematic perfection, in cinematography, sound editing, writing, lighting...Alexander Payne was once an acquaintance - when he was still called Papadopolous. A nice, humble guy.
Last edited by twentysixdollars on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a beautiful noise
Known user

hahahahaha, Charles Shaw.

too true, people by that crap by car load. most of the time it's pretty poor.

actually cost plus had a great zin, it comes out around november and i believe it's called 'electric reindeer', i loved it, and at $6 or so a bottle it was a steal.

speaking of port hangovers. they are truly wicked. only to be compared with a cheap champagne hangover.

tawny or red ruby??????

xxxshonnxxx

p/s tawny for me.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

after this discussion i went to Trader Joes. I bought the Presidents Reserve Cab. The guy only charged me $5. It is good. Its drinks like a $25 bottle(at least).
On another TJ's note, have you guys ever bought the Nasi Goreng Indoneasian rice and veggie dish. Whoa! I add a bit of my own fire ie: Curry, Chili Powder, a bit of salt and pepper. I love this stuff!
I have a bunch of friends who wont shop at TJ's because of the CO-OP hippie atmosphere yet one of them used to travel to Dead shows. Go figure. Their loss.
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

spzretent wrote:after this discussion i went to Trader Joes. I bought the Presidents Reserve Cab. The guy only charged me $5. It is good. Its drinks like a $25 bottle(at least).
From what I know (and I guess you could say I am an "inside" source) It's a $50 bottle of wine for $10.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

gotcha! i'm loading up tomorrow. it just got better as the night went along.
Leggy Mountbatten
Known user

Re: Forwarded e-mail from old Spiritualized list

Post by Leggy Mountbatten »

SpacemanRob wrote:O God wine is so Borjwarse....
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

WORD up to the Port fiends - enjoyed a bottle over the festive season... a winter warmer and no mistake!
a beautiful noise
Known user

sort of on the same subject.

this upcoming weekend i am going to 'attempt' to take SALVIA.

anybody out there ever tried this?

a friend has ordered two pounds of the root and all the neccesities to make it from peru and we are going to have it in tea form.

any comments, suggestions, or warnings?!?!

thanks gang.

xxxshonnxxx
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

don't crash out lying on your back...
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Spzretent - So what single malts do you recommend? I've started to acquire a taste for it but after trying Glenmorangie, which I liked, and Old Pulteney, which isn't going down as smooth, I'm now looking for another couple of different bottles to try and build a bit of a store.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

you have trust your taste. I like the Macallan, Dalwhinnie, Glemorangie and Highland Park. I am not that keen on the peaty and smoky Oban or Laphriog.
a beautiful noise
Known user

thanks fishy!

xxxshonnxxx
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Got to agree with Highland Park - some fine nectar from Orkney.

Glenfiddich Special Reserve is another favourite.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

a beautiful noise wrote:sort of on the same subject.

this upcoming weekend i am going to 'attempt' to take SALVIA.

anybody out there ever tried this?

a friend has ordered two pounds of the root and all the neccesities to make it from peru and we are going to have it in tea form.

any comments, suggestions, or warnings?!?!

thanks gang.

xxxshonnxxx
I've never heard of that before ... what is it?
a beautiful noise
Known user

some sort of shaman "spirit" trip.

usually not this ignorant, but a friend has been sorting out the details ie; side effects, come down, history of, uses.

apparently (please correct me if i'm off base here) its a super intense hallucinagen. it lasts somewhere between 15-30 seconds. my friend has been discovering many people meet "the others" whle taking this trip.

if anybody can shed any light or personal experience? (starfish)

xxxstonedxxx
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Thanks for the recommendations - Highland Park next then.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If you can find a malt called Dallas Dhu it's worth your while. Very gentle but with a terrific finish and lingering aftertaste. Spzretent should know all about that one.

This root thing - a 15-30 second hit is a little brief isn't it? Or is it like DMT where the hit is short but the experience very long?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

i saw a bottle of Dallas Dhu in Phoenix last month for $85. Not sure of the availability in the UK. Occasionally those World Of Whiskey duty free shops have it at 50-60 quid.
If you live in the US the shop in Phoenix is called Sportsman Liquors on Camelback at 32nd St. They may sell online or mail order. It is well worth $85.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Interesting but at £50 it may be a bit rich for me. I did a search and found a 21yr old Dallas Dhu for £15.99 on http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk but I guess that the one you both refer to is an older bottle. On another site they describe it as sweet with a fruit, nut, and honey creaminess. Sounds like the baby I'm after.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Anyone ever got friendly with a bottle of Buckfast tonic wine?
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Buy the Dallas Dhu for that price - its a steal. I was actually referring to the 21 year old!

Thanks for lowering the tone Orbital. What next? Thunderbird? Tudor Rose? Or even (wait for it) Purple Tin Tennants? (screams and runs away)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Consider the tone lowered. Ah buckfast. Possibly the most psychotic way to get drunk is buckfast mixed with premium strength larger. Skoll Super used to to be the lager of choice. If they call stella 'wife beater', then god knows what that combination would be called. Very dangerous stuff, but it tasted strangely nice. Its years since I've had it mind.
sly saxon
Known user

Post by sly saxon »

Special Brew = Trampagne

hahahaha.
It's all happening!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Buckfast or Buckie is drunk more than coca-cola in these parts - but its an occasional pleasure.
Some of my mates drink it to ease the night in...and it always proves a very interesting evening.

Painful next day though.

And Shonn...

http://www.salvialight.com
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Ive heard of the legendary buckie mixed with miilk to form a 'Buckshake' if you drink enough thats what you have in the morning.

I have actually tried in mixed with cider myself and its rather more palatable than raw straight from the boatle.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
SpacemanRob
Known user

Re: Forwarded email from old Spiritualized list

Post by SpacemanRob »

Yep.

Been lurking for ages but no real inclination to post. Still love the board though.

It's been so long between posts but see nothing has really changed, in a good way.

Best.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Forwarded email from old Spiritualized list

Post by runcible »

is wrote:I miss twentysixdollars.
Me too. So many exchanges would have benefited for his input. I stayed in touch for a bit but haven't heard from him for years. Shame.