pink floyd

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

pink floyd

Post by The Dr »

i've never got pink floyd. can someone pursuade me it is worth the effort or is it best to leave alone?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: pink floyd

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Not sure where to start here. If I was to pick an album that would maybe give you a peak at where they had come from and where they were going then Meddle would be the one, Echoes, which takes up all of side two is worth the admission price alone.

I like bits of the early mid and late era Floyd, the only one I would avoid is The Final Cut, effectively a Waters solo album in all but name.

Personally I like the soundtrack stuff, Obscured by clouds is decent.

Underated albums, would say Animals. They were just too big at this stage and the album didnt fare so great, but its got plenty of fime moments
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like the pre-Dark Side Floyd. I agree that Meddle might be the best place to start. Saucerful of Secrets is pretty amazing, too. You could try that one. Atom Heart Mother is one of my favorites, but I can't really recommend it as an entry-level album.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I would start with Meddle too. Piper At The Gates is a wonderful 'pop' album but still trippy. Animals is really good — listen to the others too.

Ummagumma is really good too. Sountrack From The Film More is good too...

B,

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

you say you`ve never got them , implies you might have tried in the past ? maybe their just not your bag, if u haven`t really listened to them before, /\/\/\ , I wouldn`t disagree with any of the above guys recommendations ,except to add Relics is a good compilation ,early to mid stuff ,but a good way in ,
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Dunno where to start, but the run of albums that goes Meddle - Obscured By Clouds - Dark Side Of The Moon - Wish You Were Here - Animals - The Wall is one of the most impressive in rock. Maybe try Meddle first and see how you get on. If you're into the more psychedelic side of things, earlier Floyd is your best bet; perhaps grab A Saucerful of Secrets in that case.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Funny, never got into pink floyd myself, whilst friends who heard me play the verve and spz told me that i should listen to 'm. I tried to, but i never got into 'm. Meddle was the one i liked the most, i think. Played most of their albums once or twice and than deceided it wasn't for me. Apart from wish you were here, the song, which i really like. so there... :mrgreen:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I mostly listen to the early albums, although lots of the tunes annoy me (e.g. Bike). The live cuts from Umma Gumma are fantastic, as are the live run-throughs of DSOTM and Wish You Were Here on the recent re-releases. We are not not fond of Animals, and anything after that is rubbish. I find The Wall unlistenable, and anything afterwards is not much cop either. You are pretty sure about getting a decent LP with pre-1974 Floyd though.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

People tend to think of all the conceptual stuff like Wish You Were Here and Dark Side - and there's plenty to be said for that material. But some of Syd's stuff is so totally magical - Niamhm mentioned Relics - I find it hard to think they wouldn't move any fan of quality music.

See Emily Play is one of the greatest singles ever released - it's so totally perfect it's beyond criticism and remains one of the very finest examples of English psychedelia. Arnold Layne is also pretty good, as are Paintbox and Remember A Day - bright and breezy sunshine psych as opposed to the deep thinking prog style that appeared once Syd left.

I agree with Olan to some extent - I hated everything from The Wall onwards and regard that as second tier. I quite like Animals though - people were blown away when that record appeared.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Depends what you're into. If you've never really got them in the past I'd assume there's a fair bit you wouldn't enjoy, but I still reckon there's some bits that you would love.

Syd era is a bit of an odd one for people, but I'm still enjoying that. Apples & Oranges, Lucifer Sam, See Emily Play and Candy & Currant Bun are so great. Most of it is.

For the era between that and the prog rock concept heaven of dark side etc... you would do well to dig out Live at Pompeii and the live disc of ummagumma, as well as Meddle.

I think dark side and WYWH speak for themselves, you already know it or you don't like it.

Animals is pretty perfect, grab it now.

The Wall I love but I can see people issues with it, I'm pretty fond of Final Cut also.

Momentary lapse of reason... . VERY poor. Still I can appreciate it for what it is from time to time though. 80s pop with a bit of nice guitar over it. Sorrow is a good track.

Division Bell is a nice enough record, but it's not a patch on the earlier stuff again.

Relics, More, Zabriskie Point Soundtrack... kind of afterthoughts for me but I enjoy them all more than the post-waters stuff.

Obscured by clouds is great!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

thanks guys! :D i knew you'd know your stuff. in the past i have listened to the 'famous' singles and parts of animals, pulse- thelive album, wish you were here, sb solo stuff plus some other stuff that i know not the name of and with the exception of shine on you crazy diamond i haven't enjoyed any of it. saying that i'm going to the library tomorrow to borrow meddle and animals as they seem to be the most revered albums in the above messages. maybe they are just a band like the beatles and the stones that i just don't and won't get.

beaker73- in the biography of sp3 and spz jason says that the band were compared to floyd but he said that he never understood it nor liked floyd, so i dunno. it may be another brmc-jamc thing. who knows?!

keep on adding comments guys!

thanks again
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

i wouldnt even bother with the studio albums apart from maybe live side of Ummagumma and the More soundtrack.
there is a slew of decent bootlegs from 1968 - '72 which show what an amazing avant garde, groovy, psychedelic rock band they could be. the john peel shows from paris in '70 & '71 are AMAZING

it is a shame there isnt more live stuff of a decent quality available when Syd was at the helm, some UFO gigs or summat; glimpses on the internet and the 2 tracks recorded for the 'lets all make love in london' soundtrack show they were almost free jazz then....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've never really got into Pink Floyd either, so I am also reading this thread with interest. they have been compared with Spiritualized (and yes, Verve) enough times to make me curious..
I did finally take the plunge recently and bought Piper at the Gates of Dawn. there are definitely bits of it I enjoy a lot (the more droney/space ones like Interstellar Overdrive) however, yes the more whimsical songs like Bike can be quite annoying. it's weird as that aspect does remind me of Soft Machine, however they seem to be able to do it and not annoy me. I know the whole 'return to childhood/innocence' thing was part of the whole psychedic/acid drenched mood of the times (well, moreso in Brit psych anyways) but it can be a bit cringey now. a friend lend me Syd Barrett's solo album once and I couldn't get on with that much either.
later Floyd, I've heard bits and bobs (the famous pieces I guess) and I do respect them, it's all quite atmospheric and grand, and very well produced (infact it makes me think of albums people would put on to show off their hi-fi systems!) but I just don't connect with it at all.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Forgot to mention that if you end up liking the Roger Waters-dominated era of the band, his solo album Amused To Death is an excellent record, with more substance to it than the post-split Floyd releases IMHO. I'd say Waters' other two post-split solo albums are probably for hardcore fans only; never got into them myself.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

RADIOOOOO WAVES
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:People tend to think of all the conceptual stuff like Wish You Were Here and Dark Side - and there's plenty to be said for that material. But some of Syd's stuff is so totally magical - Niamhm mentioned Relics - I find it hard to think they wouldn't move any fan of quality music.

See Emily Play is one of the greatest singles ever released - it's so totally perfect it's beyond criticism and remains one of the very finest examples of English psychedelia. Arnold Layne is also pretty good, as are Paintbox and Remember A Day - bright and breezy sunshine psych as opposed to the deep thinking prog style that appeared once Syd left.
I have some sympathy for this. However, for every "Set the Controls...", or "Echoes" etc on the early albums there is a track like "Bike" or "Seamus" that really gets on my nerves. The bootlegs of the unreleased material from about a year before the release of Umma Gumma are top notch though. Really heavy psyche with plenty of out-there jamming.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I don't know if I agree with your 1 to 1 ratio of awesome to irritating tracks, Olan. Take "Seamus" off of Meddle and that album is damn near perfect.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:I don't know if I agree with your 1 to 1 ratio of awesome to irritating tracks, Olan. Take "Seamus" off of Meddle and that album is damn near perfect.
It wasn't meant to be that harsh. I was trying to say that there are a bunch of stinkers randomly distributed across the early albums that really grate on my senses. But I take your point, I need to be a little more careful with my phrasing.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Surprised at the strong dislike of Bike on show here, I love that tune :D

I'd go Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Relics, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here as the main ones. The Wall certainly has its moments but can go on a bit! I like some of Saucerful Of Secrets but a good chunk of it grates.

In saying all that I haven't listened to any of them in years :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

can I just add ,and I suppose it should really be obvious, but under the influence, Piper at the Gates Of Dawn and Saucer Full Of Secrets both sound totally wonderful!! and for various reasons Syd was a very special dude,
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Relics is only a compilation or 'best of' album which actually might be a good way to go. Though I still say go with Meddle, Piper, Animals... etc.
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Outside of a few tracks I find PF to be one of the most bloated and overrated bands in rock history.
In other words I just "dont get it".
My tracks would be See Emily Play, Interstellar Overdrive, Set The Controls...., Fearless, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Shine On You Crazy Diamond & Comfortably Numb.
Disclaimer- This is strictly my opinion.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote:Surprised at the strong dislike of Bike on show here, I love that tune :D
Me too! :D For me its a good representation as any of Syd's mad genius. I know the likes of Pete Townshend was reportedly very unhappy with the sound of Piper at the Gates of Dawn due to being very different from their live show but I still think it's an amazing album. It probably shouldn't really work and songs about gnomes are pretty divisive, and I think I liked it better when I was 18 but it's definitely a good place to start if not THE place to start with Pink Floyd.
If anything it just shows up most of the rest of their catalogue for the serious, ponderous, overwrought AOR it most likely is...

Anyway, I'll never be happy though until 'they' officially release the last, truly bonkers The Pink Floyd single - 'Vegetable Man'/'Scream Thy Last Scream (Old Woman In A Basket)' - with only the varying/dubious quality of various bootlegs to go on, I still reckon it's as far out, dark, damaged and disturbed as 'UK Psychedelic Rock' ever went in the late 60s...

I've got a lot of love for Syd's solo work too. Stark and beautiful. Not really psychedelic, but definitely 'out there'.

Pink Floyd themselves? These days I can appreciate The Dark Side of The Moon for it's magnificent production and sonic brilliance but as a collection of songs... far less so. I really like Meddle. I always thought 'Fearless' was the blueprint for the Beta Band's original style. Bits of Atom Heart Mother are alright, same with Ummagumma. The live stuff is known to be the key bit of the album but some of the solo tracks have a weird, naive charm to themselves. Saucerful of Secrets is worth a listen to as well.

Everything post Dark Side - the Roger Waters years - does nothing for me at all.

In a weird bit of synchronicity, just returned from a few days visiting my father. He had a stack of vinyl, most of which I'd never seen before (not sure where this came from to be honest!) so he asked me to take anything I wanted. Among a stack of other stuff I picked up original UK issues of The Dark Side of the Moon, Relics, Obscured With Clouds and Meddle!

8)
O P 8
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Been away for a couple weeks and only just saw this thread. Everybody knows "DSOTM", "WYWH" and "The Wall". You will know if you like those records and are ready to immerse yourself into their back catalog.

Syd-era Floyd is very, very different from the well known records but so is early Gilmore-era Floyd. Syd-era is, as others have pointed out, whimsical, kooky, and at times, deeply psychedelic music from a totally different planet. It hasn't aged as well as their classic records have but, if accepted for what they are they are still great fun to listen to. I also agree with runcible about "See Emily Play". The tune is English psych at its finest and I would rank it with Tintern Abbey's "Beeside/Vacuum Cleaner", July's "My Clown", The Factory's "Path Through The Forest" and The Pretty Things "Defecting Grey" as one of the best examples of English psych.

But, I'm still not sure if this early era of Floyd is where I would suggest as a starting point for somebody wanting to dip further into PF's catalog. Remember, they only sounded like this for a couple years. I too would probably start with "Meddle" because the ideas and musicianship on the record are really beginning to move into a direction that is much more concise and mature than anything previous and, more importantly, Waters' ego had yet to take hold.

I also agree on "Animals", but it is one of those albums that people either love or hate. It is pompous, pretentious and at times a bit wanky, but somehow they manage to pull it off.

I know many hate the self-importance of "Final Cut" but for personal reasons I actually have a soft spot for the album.

I know nothing of their catalog after "The Final Cut". Closest I ever got to seeing them was when they played Horseshoe Stadium at Ohio State University in 1988 or '89. We didn't have tickets but myself and a handful of friends sat on a grassy hill and listened to the show while watching the lasers dance across the sky and a pig fly over the stadium.

Semisynthetic is our resident Floyd expert. If he signs in he will no doubt have a lot more to say about the band.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

The day in high school a friend lent me OK Computer and Dark Side of the Moon pretty much kicked off my love affair with rock 'n' roll, so I am a big Floyd fan. That being said, I started to find them depressing after a while and took a lengthy break from their music. I've really rediscovered them in the past year or two, and appreciate them now more than ever.
spzretent wrote:Outside of a few tracks I find PF to be one of the most bloated and overrated bands in rock history.
In other words I just "dont get it".
"Bloated" and "self-indulgent" have become common adjectives for PF over the years, and I can sort of see how punk kids would reject the long suites, extended solos, and carefully constructed atmospheres of prime Floyd. But, in all honesty, I don't find Floyd half as bloated as acts like Yes, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, etc. -- at least until The Wall and the corporate arena tours.

Lots of good stuff to be found in their classic years, which I've always liked more than the Sid period. I start golden age Floyd with Atom Heart Mother, which has two long noise suites I never listen to and three great semi-pastoral psych songs. Meddle is great (including the brief atmospheric interlude Seamus) and San Tropez is a highlight that I don't think has been mentioned. Obscured By Clouds kind of continues the same vibe, a little closer to Dark Side but winningly loose. Dark Side is of course a masterpiece, I listen rarely but it retains that mystique for me. Wish You Were Here is weak except for Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is a towering masterpiece. And then for all of the excesses of Roger Waters' ego Animals and The Wall have many outstanding moments. Even The Final Cut and the later years have some gems here and there.

The band outshines whatever their groovy footnote in the Hot Topic narrative of marketable counterculture history, and is worth giving a chance.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jadams501 wrote: "Bloated" and "self-indulgent" have become common adjectives for PF over the years, and I can sort of see how punk kids would reject the long suites, extended solos, and carefully constructed atmospheres of prime Floyd. But, in all honesty, I don't find Floyd half as bloated as acts like Yes, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, etc. -- at least until The Wall and the corporate arena tours.
I think the Dead maintained their low key, fan based touring band profile for many years. They barely sold any records. They only really became "bloated" in the 80's and 90's at the height of their massive success. But, to be honest, they only became huge because of the many middle class college kids who heard about the wild parties taking place at the shows.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I began my interest in the Pink Floyd with "A Saucerful of Secrets", "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and a single of "Arnold Layne/ Candy and a Currant Bun" in 1971. For some reason, what the band had, besides a distinct sound, was something I enjoyed and was comparatively complex to what I had heard before. I like the very idea of "Arnold Layne", a fun little song, now from a very different era, about some fellow who steals ladies undergarments, and was based on someone in the neighborhood. It was light and fun and musically, very different.

All these years later, I have aquired superb examples of their "regular" releases, along with Test Pressings and acetates, from all over the world. In the early days, I could buy sealed mono and stereo copies for $10-$12; w/ the Japanese colored vinyls about $5 more. I learned about other great bands by obtaining Promo samplers from radio stations, or collectors who had their 3rd or 4th copy already.

There are some things that I know do not capture the imagination as perhaps they once did; it is easy to see a "dated" movie, and so it is with certain tracks, especially of the Barrett singles, which I find to be brilliant in a number of ways; they
record a fleeting moment in history, when innocence and experimentation were on a very different scale than today
. I know that Barrett went on permanent vacation; certainly he 'took too much'; akin to Brian Wilson; another fellow who just wanted to enjoy making music while the "Suits" at Capitol/Tower demanded more and more. When David Gilmour took over for Syd, it is a surreal and interesting, but terribly sad moment to watch Syd stare off into space on the "Dick Clark Show" whilst the band attempted to lip-sync w/ "Apples and Oranges", a song Syd wrote and played lead guitar and lead vocals, a song I have always liked for a number of reasons, but I suppose mainly because it captures those fleeting moments that many people never experienced, and sad to say, likely never will. A happy, simpler time; when time itself was briefly counted in "A Summer's Passing", rather than femtoseconds and a mad rush to what? Time was slower, and less things beeped and intruded upon ones day and night.
The band carried on, with Waters writing most of the lyrics, with a few notable exceptions, "Paintbox" comes to mind, the flip side of the "Apples and Oranges" single; other singles and EPs are still available, but rarely do I see a specimen complete and pristine anymore. I laugh when I see how the junk on Ebay is priced. WOW. There are some great tracks on various soundtracks, and a few tracks only found on promo discs; and of course, "very special" discs like a very nice "Let's Roll Another One" acetate, changed to "A Candy and a Currant Bun", a single from the UK which I obtained in 1976 at what was then an astronomical price. There are special recordings made in the UK for the Swiss, the Swedes and others, and (usually)
made on superior vinyl. The Japanese LP's, EP's and singles are superb, but even an original UK copy or the US "Tower" copies of the first LP's sound phenomenal if you have a system and recording properly maintained. It is always sad to see trashed copies of things I like, or MIGHT like, but that are unplayable. I recently purchased several still sealed, original 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970 and some 1980's reissues of LP's, I refer to them as "spares". I have spent 40 years (+), it doesn't seem possible; but in that time, I first enjoyed the Floyd, and have, by carefully obtaining the "creme de creme" of examples, have a collection in which I can name only 3 items I would think "completed" from all over the globe, my vinyl collection of this great and groundbreaking band.

In 1977 (or '78?), David Gilmour released his first solo LP, and it is great! "There's no way out of Here" is a haunting, melodic piece that shows what Gilmour can so seemingly easily do. I was sorry that all those egos got in each others way, especially Waters, but I still believe pieces like "Amused to Death" are brilliant in the classic use of the term. Mason and Wright also put out solo works, or produced bands like Zee and others. A great catalogue of music has been created by this band in all of its various Forms; w/ Barrett, then Waters and then Gilmour at the head; some music is, for whatever reason, something that captivates or in some way really captures ones interest or attention, and this band has been and will remain one of my favorite bands.

I have placed a photo of a copy of my USA [PROMO only] of "Arnold Layne"/ "Candy and a Currant Bun" below. If there is any interest, I will add other singles or LP's that you may not have ever seen. So, I hope you enjoy whatever it is that lights that spark in you. The Promo below is made a bit darker by the special Mylar sleeve, but it says "The Light Kings of England" Roger, Nick, Syd, Rick This disc is on the Tower label, Tower 333. Same image appears on both sides.
Attachments
Promo Copy, USA; Pinkish color in Mylar
Promo Copy, USA; Pinkish color in Mylar
ArnoldLayne%20001PinkF2090.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 15269 times
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Blimey. I thought I was a bit of an obsessive record collector... I tip my hat to you Sir and would love to see a few more Floyd gems!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Thank you for your very kind compliment.

I obtained this disc, pressed in early 1967, along w/ the accompanying Tower "See Emily Play"/"Scarecrow", also w/ a Pink Picture sleeve, (the regular release was in a black and white sleeve) in 1973; they were new, and unplayed; under a counter in a specialty shop in a box labeled "not for sale". Each had a "ring" of vinyl that I removed from the center hole, lest they "come lose" and damage the singles; I played them each once, and put that on reel to reel. WOW. They would make a CD blush in embarassment.

I will try to place some singles on this thread next week. Ironically, some of the "gems" of the LP part of the collection, say a #1/5 Pink Vinyl - "A Saucerful of Secrets" - Test Pressing w/ Capitol stamp in the dead air space, tend to have very boring jackets! (BUT have fantastic sound!), the same can be said for most acetates; so I will be showing mainly Picture Sleeve examples of the more "obscure" releases.
I have a few LP's that likely have not been seen by everyone, since the Floyd's artwork has reached that "iconic" status, so I hear, and so many LP's are known by their artwork alone; the "Title" printed, is redundant. Who enjoys music and not recognizes "Dark Side of the Moon"? Even my grandmother used to ask for the "record with Money and going Nuts". She liked The Wall; so it was fun to vibrate the walls of my home with my grandmother laughing when some "loud sound" came from behind her. To give her 93 year old ears a break, I would play a Dorsey Brothers 78rpm disc that she loved on a Brunswick Gramophone (1917), she had purchased the player for my birthday many years earlier. Time flies.

Have a GREAT Weekend.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Most of what Storm did for The Floyd was incredible. I look forward to anything that was done by Storm as a student at Cambridge to his days at Hipgnosis.

B,

M
Design.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I think many people who see the "Wish You Were Here" cover, assume that the "man on fire" was computer generated. It was not!
A stuntman was the "man on fire!"; likewise, the "diving" Postcard w/ "wish you were here"; some poor bastard was strapped in a chair w/ an oxygen tank to allow Storm to get just the right shot. All this computer stuff is great; but I admire the old school ability to create on paper what was seen in his mind FIRST.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

semisynthetic wrote: likewise, the "diving" Postcard w/ "wish you were here"; some poor bastard was strapped in a chair w/ an oxygen tank to allow Storm to get just the right shot. All this computer stuff is great; but I admire the old school ability to create on paper what was seen in his mind FIRST.
Interesting! I had read that Storm used a stuntman with the ability to do a handstand underwater and hold his breath long enough for the ripples to settle. Either way, it's a stunning shot :)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It IS true that the fellow had to hold his breath and remain still in order for the shot to be right; perhaps what I enjoy MOST is the location; it is otherwordly and disconnected from the dreary day to day that I believe the band, and Storm, wished to show in these visual "escapes". I have a video of the "Sandman" disentigrating, but unfortunately it is on a large Television Studio videotape; I need to have that transferred. Someday.

I have a short promo w/ Storm saying the "poor fellow was strapped in this chair-like contraption", but after the years and stories and "re-rememberances", I suppose the final shot is what matters most. The whole primary elements idea, the Fire, Water, Earth and Air theme is seen in the Jacket, Poster, Postcard and Sticker that went on the (originally) black plastic which sealed up ALL the artwork except the sticker!
I still have at least (3) that remain "stickered and [sealed]" from 1975. A copy from the UK, and another copy, from the USA, and the last, from France.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

BzaInSpace wrote:
sunray wrote:Surprised at the strong dislike of Bike on show here, I love that tune :D

Anyway, I'll never be happy though until 'they' officially release the last, truly bonkers The Pink Floyd single - 'Vegetable Man'/'Scream Thy Last Scream (Old Woman In A Basket)' - with only the varying/dubious quality of various bootlegs to go on, I still reckon it's as far out, dark, damaged and disturbed as 'UK Psychedelic Rock' ever went in the late 60s...
I agree; there is a very well done, clean as (can be), copy of V. Man and "Scream thy last Scream, Old Woman in a Casket" on a BEAUTIFUL bootleg; the artwork is wonderful, and the white vinyl was more like a wax; from Italy via Germany, in about 1980 or so. It was one of a number of Bootlegs in a 10" format; I will look for it because the exact name eludes me; but the "official" line was that the quality of the recording, and not the subject matter was the reason for not releasing it as a single; that may be true, but I think the numbers of people who appreciate just HOW "out there" (and talented) Barrett was would entice Columbia or EMI to release it, if only to cash in on something hitherto left alone. I do have several other 12" bootlegs that are very good, but that white "wax" is truly wonderful; and a few 7" bootlegged "attempts", but all are of inferior sound quality and poor vinyl. I have always been surprised that the Japanese, who are so fond of adding "bonus goodies" that other countries do not have on their releases, would not take the BEST master of these two songs and add them onto any number of Barrett related LP's or CD's. I think the audience is here now, but at the time, it was probably a lo$ing proposition.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Before I must go, I placed photos of two singles that you may not have seen before.
One is the 2nd Pink Floyd (USA) single, "See Emily Play"/ "Scarecrow" as the Tower 356 Promo, in a Mylar sleeve, (which makes it appear a bit darker than it really is). I obtained this single w/ the "Arnold Layne" single.

And the other, I think this is a nice graphic, from "Wish You Were Here"; this particular example is a French Pathe' Promo release. I obtained it in 1978, (but BEFORE the DJ's got a hold of it)! The Labels are very nice as well, with similar graphics and a "STAR" on the plug side. I apologize for the sloppiness, the difference in size, but frankly I was in a rush,
for this weekend is a busy one, and I rarely post photos, and only now see what I SHOULD have done!

I would like to share a few more, if you are not bored of it all.

Spzretent cited "fanatic"; maybe I am a little bit fanatic; it does help one achieve even these simple goals. :D
I am still working on my Spiritualized collection; another evolving band that I enjoy very, very much. There is genius in music and art and literature; something I NEVER forgot in all of those years in the Laboratory; it is best to use both sides of the BRAIN and the matter that binds AND separates the didactic with the emotional.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND.
Attachments
Have a Cigar French Promo 1975; w/ Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Have a Cigar French Promo 1975; w/ Shine on You Crazy Diamond
PFhaveacigarFR75 001.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 15322 times
See Emily Play / Scarecrow; 1967 TOWER 356 PROMO USA
See Emily Play / Scarecrow; 1967 TOWER 356 PROMO USA
seeemilyUS 001.jpg (39.51 KiB) Viewed 15322 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

ONE LAST RELEASE!
I had the UK release of "See Emily Play", DB8214, 1967, (all ready to post), so here it is; the wrap-around- PS, when opened, makes a little train! (The Promo Poster is EXCEPTIONAL, but I have not photographed it yet; [my Poster came from a window in a small shop in Sweden]; this disc w/ PS came from a Dealer in London many years ago. Very Happy, isn't it? The vinyl is exceptional, and I played this disc to "amaze" (and inform) the Hard-Core "CD only" friends of mine! They now buy vinyl along with the CD releases!
Attachments
UK General Release, 1967 2nd Single
UK General Release, 1967 2nd Single
seeemilyplayuk350 001.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 15318 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I took it as a very CLEAR compliment! I make no excuses either! AHA!
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

OK, I was on hold;
So here is "It Would Be So Nice"/ "Julia Dream" the UK Columbia DB8401 general release from 1968; both absolutely BEAUTIFUL; if you do not like or have not heard any "variety" of the Floyd, these two little songs might give you pause; Psychedelia and Wonderment in small, potent doses. Yum.
I obtained this Beautifully Mint "artifact" from a fellow at the BBC in 1982.
Attachments
IJulia Dream /It would be so Nice 1968; UK Columbia 8401
IJulia Dream /It would be so Nice 1968; UK Columbia 8401
itwouldbesonicfe35 001.jpg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 15317 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

ONE MORE FRENCH DISC!
From the Film More, 1969; "The Nile Song" / "Ibiza Bar"
I had to go get this one from a little shop in France, in 1977. This copy remains unplayed, and carefully backed w/ an acid-free 7"x7" board, as do all my singles. I replaced the "blurry" polypropylene with a VERY heavy polyethylene; it tends to make the colors photograph a little differently, but it is easier to read the catalogue numbers and the photographer (C. Rose). I also have a second copy, that is also truly fantastic; the disc is as new as it was in 1969; this second copy I use for those times I wish to hear the original single. The singles are often a little bit different in length or sound, or even version from the track of the same name from LP's.

Which makes me think upon a point mentioned earlier; that Relics or "Masters of Rock" (there are 3 main "subtypes", (2) different releases from Holland, another, from Germany, and a really different and tricky one to find, from Italy; (I found my Italian copy in Wangs, Switzerland).
There are a number of "Best of" Pink Floyd recordings; and although I generally don't like them all that much, you can find songs of "more variety" and from different eras on one or two discs; perhaps, as a sort of Compilation Sampler, these might be good for people who have only heard the LP's and the later releases to allow them to compare the early material with later material; I believe more people on this site might enjoy "Remember a Day" and "Julia Dream" than would the latter recordings from some of the postings. The problem of course, is the singles are difficult to obtain, but the numerous variants of "Best Of" span the late 1960's til very recently. It may be a GOOD idea after all to try these discs and compare the very different styles and production of the pieces found on them.
Attachments
PFNileSongIbizaBarFRENCH1969o 001.jpg
PFNileSongIbizaBarFRENCH1969o 001.jpg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 15256 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Thank you Semi. A few I have never seen. I went to the Storm exhibition last year in London and it was incredible.
I'm a huge floyd fan and a huge fan of Storm. I know about all the production that behind the scenes — those were the
days where a band could say "money is no object".

Here is a poster that I posted on my typography blog — http://www.typetoken.net/icon/storm-tho ... -—-poster/

It was made by Richard Holt for a visiting talk.

B,

M
Design.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I don't even know some of these songs, let alone the releases themselves. This thread has suddenly become super interesting but it makes me realise I'm non-league as a Floyd fan!

Semisynthetic, do you know the total number of Floyd releases you own? I'm guessing you do and that it's a spectacular figure. What I wouldn't give to be let loose with it and a turntable for a weekend!!

Interesting too that you're building a Spz collection - there are plenty of people on here who can give guidance on that - me included!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Greeny, I do not know how many recordings I have; I don't know how many Pink Floyd recordings I have. But I do count them in my "own way". That is, a single/EP 7", 10" or 12", counts as "1"; an LP of 10" or 12" or 16" counts as "1"; a 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 LP set counts as "1"; Boxsets count as "1". Many years ago, I tried to keep exact track; but it has been 25 years since I counted the Pink Floyd. (I CAN REMEMBER when I "passed the 100 mark in TOTAL Recordings"! That was in 1972.

About twenty five years ago I surpassed 300 "recordings" of the Pink Floyd, (not counting CD's, cassettes, or 8-track tapes). I DID count the very few Studio Master Tapes I own; like "One of These days I'm Going to Cut You into little Pieces". Since then, as I "filled in the empty spaces" from around the world, with Eastern Bloc singles, and Test Pressings and acetates and albums unique to a specific country, and so on, I believe that number (may) have tripled, +/-.

I don't forget those who have helped me learn about a new band, or make a suggestion that I carry out, or who have sent me recordings that I would likely never have heard of otherwise. I am very lucky to have so many friends who enjoy music as I do. This site, and the people in it have been very helpful, and a lot of fun.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A Few of the more Obscure 7" singles; and, by the way, most of these songs, or the way they are combined, will likely surprise you. The Tower promo is wonderful; there were no "Special" Tower PS of this release, only commercial "Tower Sleeves". The Japanese "BIG 4" EP is on RED VINYL.
Attachments
Have a Cigar / Shine on you Crazy Diamond 1975 Dutch pressing
Have a Cigar / Shine on you Crazy Diamond 1975 Dutch pressing
PFShineonyoucrazydiamondHaveaCigar1975Dutch 001.jpg (30.1 KiB) Viewed 15278 times
Tower Pressing, 1967; Remember a Day/ Let there be More Light
Tower Pressing, 1967; Remember a Day/ Let there be More Light
PFRememberaDayLettherebemoreLight1968a 001.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 15278 times
1968 Japanese Promo "The Big 4 EP" 1. One of these Days 2. Point me at the Sky 3. Julia Dream  4. See Emily Play
1968 Japanese Promo "The Big 4 EP" 1. One of these Days 2. Point me at the Sky 3. Julia Dream 4. See Emily Play
TheBig4EP1968JapanPROMO 001.jpg (25.84 KiB) Viewed 15278 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A Few More, Ending with one of my all time "Favorite" Pink Floyd singles, "Apples and Oranges"/"Paintbox"; this disc was made in the UK for the Swedish, who provided the sleeves. There were once over one hundred of these, in 1967. I obtained my copy from a dealer in California via Norway. I have only seen 2 of these in my 42 years of collecting; but the other copy was unfortunately trashed; this one is fun to hear and luckily "survived" 1967 unscathed and like new. I obtained it in 1992 after a very long search from one country in Europe after another.

The 1972 Japanese Tour Disc was issued for the release of "Obscured by Clouds". The "Julia Dream"/ "Summer of '68" is a unique disc released only by the Japanese w/ a little booklet and photos. I also have the Promo disc, which has a little "extra" material, and is on red vinyl. Many of the Japanese discs I will show are either black or red; it just occurred to me that I hadn't bothered to even mention the red vinyl releases; not all were released as promos.

If anyone is interested, I will gladly post some more of the more unusual and Obscure Pink Floyd Singles.

NOTE: MORE OF YOU HAVE VIEWED THE "APPLES and ORANGES" from Sweden THAN WERE EVER MADE!
Attachments
Japanese 1972 Tour Disc
Japanese 1972 Tour Disc
PFFreeFourAbsolutelyCurtains1972a 001.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 15426 times
Julia Dream / Summer '68 1968
Julia Dream / Summer '68 1968
PFJuliaDreamSummer68Jap 001.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 15426 times
Apples and Oranges (Barrett)/ Paintbox (Wright)
Apples and Oranges (Barrett)/ Paintbox (Wright)
PFApplesandOrangesUKSweden1967a 001.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 15426 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

These last few were already photographed, so here they are. Note the "unique" couplings of "Goodbye Blue Sky" w/ Another Brick in the Wall from Argentina, and "Point me at the Sky" w/ "Arnold Layne", from Japan, 1968. The Polish disc is on the "Tonpress" label, and is a very hefty single.
Attachments
Argentina; 1979, with  "Goodbye Blue Sky"
Argentina; 1979, with "Goodbye Blue Sky"
PFAnotherBrickintheWallGoodbyeBlueSky1979Arg 001.jpg (49.64 KiB) Viewed 15425 times
Poland; released when the wall fell, and the communists were encouraged to "go away".
Poland; released when the wall fell, and the communists were encouraged to "go away".
AnotherBrickintheWallOneofmyTurnsPolanda 001.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 15425 times
Japanese only release 1968
Japanese only release 1968
PFPointmetotheSkyArnoldLayne!968a 001.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 15425 times
Paracelsus
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Holy crap ... Point Me At The Sky w/Arnold Layne? Amazing.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i am enjoying very much your pink floyd treasures postings! keep them coming, if you would. :mrgreen:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

TheWarmth wrote:Holy crap ... Point Me At The Sky w/Arnold Layne? Amazing.
As you may have noticed, I MADE A MISTAKE! The Japanese called this "Point me TO the Sky", and Waters name is given as "Peters"! With the sometimes esoteric lyrics, say from "Julia Dream", it is fun to read the translations, which are often so terribly wrong that they are very amusing, but are the ONLY problem with the Japanese pressings!

When I checked to see if there was any interest in these singles, I must say that I was very happy to see that so many of you have enjoyed, or at least viewed these few examples, as I have enjoyed them Myself! I have been, of late, so otherwise occupied, that to take time to share and to see these little bits of music and history has been most cathartic! I will keep them coming as long as there is interest or they become duplicative.

There are a few of these Floyd singles that I have phrased as "Unique couplings", since they are the exception to the rule, and this single is certainly one of them. "Point me at the Sky" would be the last "SINGLE" to be written as such for many years, although, as with say, the French Release of "Nile Song" w/ "Ibiza Bar", in 1969, the record companies would keep the singles and EP's coming from selected cuts of LP's.

This Japanese single, pressed in 1968, like most of the Japanese singles, is exceptional because of the Incredibly fine vinyl. I would like everything (save my waxes) to be on pressings and vinyl of such quality! There are also inserts, usually included with these Japanese recordings that show photos, ads, and other info that made these particular pressings even more interesting and fun to have. Including errors.

I will post the "Original" "Point me at the Sky" release, (or at least one of them), so as to compare song couplings.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

davedecay wrote:i am enjoying very much your pink floyd treasures postings! keep them coming, if you would. :mrgreen:
I am very happy to share these images; I looked for some of these singles for many years before finding one (or two) that was essentially new and usually, unplayed. I had lists out from Birmingham (Alabama) to Berlin asking for certain recordings.
It strikes me when I think it has taken 42 years of extremely particular, and oftentimes, "lucky" coincidences, to obtain these, to me anyway, very special and certainly oftentimes very rare recordings of one of my favorite bands.

Their attention to detail, and musicianship is exceptional and relatively complex; and although "The Pink Floyd" is generally looked at in the review mirror now, I can remember when store owners would give me a "special" price IF I bought all of their Floyd stock! Yeah, they were REALLY not at all in demand when I first listened and enjoyed them; but as their popularity grew, so did the difficulty in finding new and pristine examples of certain discs.

I add one additional observation; in all this time, and of the hundreds of new recordings that I bought in Bargain Bins and cut-out racks, not ONCE have I ever seen the Pink Floyd in those racks. I'm sure they must have been in a Bargain Bin SOMEWHERE, maybe as used examples; but the new copies certainly eluded me!
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here are few examples from 1967-71;

1st] Japanese Promo of "Seamus" w/ "One of These Days"; 1971 Japanese Promo White Label/PS
I have no less than 4 different "Seamus" from Japan; it isn't profound, but interesting. You can see
the second vocalist, in the film "Live at Pompeii". This one is red vinyl.

2nd] Special Swiss release of "See Emily Play" w/ "Scarecrow" 1967 [(in a white sleeve) LABEL ONLY]

3rd] (original issue) Point Me at the Sky w/ Careful with That Ax Eugene 1968; Italian Release/PS
Attachments
Seamus w/ One of These Days; Japanese Promo 1971
Seamus w/ One of These Days; Japanese Promo 1971
PSSeamusOneoftheseDaysJapan1971a 001.jpg (29.61 KiB) Viewed 15393 times
Swiss "Special Release" of See Emily Play w/ Scarecrow 1967 (white sleeve)
Swiss "Special Release" of See Emily Play w/ Scarecrow 1967 (white sleeve)
PFSwiiUKSeeEmilyPlayScarecrow1967r 001.jpg (22.08 KiB) Viewed 15393 times
Point Me at the Sky w/ Careful with That Ax Eugene 1968 Italian original
Point Me at the Sky w/ Careful with That Ax Eugene 1968 Italian original
PFPointmeattheSky1968Italiana 001.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 15393 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here are three from 1971&1972.

Two Italian releases, (2) from 1972: "Free Four" w/ "The Gold it's in the...." from "Obscured by Clouds"
and an interesting coupling with "One of these Days" w/ "Fearless"; the USA release has "Stay" as the B side of "Free Four"; I like them all. These are slightly different than the LP versions.

And a relatively Strange and Special [2nd] Release from Japan, pressed in 1971;
a famous "Wrestler" with a rough name used "One of these days (I'm going to cut you into little pieces)" as his intro music as he entered the stadium and the ring(!), and that is, in part, written in the upper left hand corner of the sleeve about an upcoming bout shown on television. The sleeve is the usual heavy Toshiba sleeve, with the 2-sided insert you see here. The other side has a band history and photos.
Attachments
Free Four w/ The Gold it's in the.....1972 Italian release
Free Four w/ The Gold it's in the.....1972 Italian release
PFFreeFourTheGolditsintheItalian1972 a001.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 15393 times
One of these Days w/ Fearless Italian release1972
One of these Days w/ Fearless Italian release1972
PFOneofthesedaysFEARLESS1972a 001.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 15393 times
One of these Days w/ Seamus Japanese (special 2nd release) 1971
One of these Days w/ Seamus Japanese (special 2nd release) 1971
PFOneofthesedaysSeamusJapa a001.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 15393 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I thought I would get to about 1973 and go to bed. :D

1] This is really a very difficult disc to find, considering it is not that old and it is from the USA, but it is an AM Radio sampler; I have very few Radio Promos that specify that; when I first saw the sleeve was wrinkled, I was concerned, but the disc ( in mono, of course) is Fantastic, and has some really weird mixes and edits! "Dark Side of the Moon" AM Radio PROMO ONLY Sampler, 1973. Apparently, the sleeve was supposed to look "Platinum". I obtained this in 1989 from a dealer in L.A., California.

2] A regular release of "Money" and "Us and Them" from Mexico, 1973. My photography didn't get wacky, it was the release used by Mexico that has some light "disappearing" into the prism in a way unlike the usual "logo" of DSOTM.

3] Another general release of "Money" and "Us and Them", this one is from France, 1973. Iconography has arrived in a big way, and the band is going to be robbed by their label after the cash machines need repair from the sales of an album "about daily life and going Mad".
Attachments
DSOTM Promo (mono)
DSOTM Promo (mono)
PFDSOTMPROMO1973USAa 001.jpg (23.08 KiB) Viewed 15388 times
Mexico 1973
Mexico 1973
PFDineroandUsandThem1973Mexicoa 001.jpg (22.7 KiB) Viewed 15388 times
France, 1973
France, 1973
PFMoneyUsandThemFrench1973PROMOa 001.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 15388 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

nice!

thank you!

b,

m
Design.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Here is the flip side of "Free Four", from a PROMO disc from "Obscured by Clouds", 1972. The films "MORE", "Obscured by Clouds", and "Zabriskie Point", the ones that come to mind first, all have very good music on them, with the last having a more "I just dropped some" sounds. Speaking of; if you like the unusual, you may want to chase down some of Ron Geesin's albums. I don't especially mean "Music from The Body", either. Look up his discography, and you will find some very strange stuff that is listenable and enjoyable in a demented kind of way. :D
Attachments
USA PROMO "Stay" 1972
USA PROMO "Stay" 1972
PSStayFreeFourUSAPROMOa 001.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 15387 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Today I received two "Treats"; [sealed] Stereo copies of the Pink Floyd's first 2 LP's on Tower; (USA).
"The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" 1967 and "A Saucerful of Secrets" 1968; both are Fantastic LP's, and although the US version of the FIRST LP has a different song lineup than the UK release, the Artwork is essentially the same in both countries.

The Artwork is, in fact, not at all "Obscure", so instead, I thought you might enjoy viewing the upper right hand corners to see the ORIGINAL PRICE STICKERS!

As I bought LP's and singles, you can almost tell what year they are from by the "suggested" price; most of my early and I will say "Greatest" finds were obtained new in the late 1970's (mostly), one could easily see the effects of inflation in just a few short years; it would great, wouldn't it, to be able to walk into the record store and obtain the LATEST LP recordings for $4.69? :D
Attachments
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn price on sealed 1967 LP.jpg
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn price on sealed 1967 LP.jpg (36.76 KiB) Viewed 15353 times
Roger Waters seemingly "peeking" at you while you read the price.
Roger Waters seemingly "peeking" at you while you read the price.
A Saucerful of Secrets price on sealed 1968 LP.jpg (43.78 KiB) Viewed 15353 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

OK, you have seen 25 singles, a few that include some examples from 1973/1975; (just a little taste of DSOTM and WYWH singles), there are a few more all along the line; I have tried to present the more unusual; the examples you are LEAST likely to otherwise see. I hope that you enjoyed them, I did. So many fond memories, fun, and Wonderful music comes to my mind as I see these images.

The artwork is more complex and varied as the time passes onto more singles from 1973/75 and beyond.

I am pleased that so many of you have viewed them, and surprised there were so few comments. Oh well; what is there to say? Just enjoy them, out of curiousity or interest. What you have seen is a Historical Record as it was being made; some, in a very different era, but that music continues on to this day IF you enjoy it.

I like so much music, such variety, that it is difficult for me to blast this or that; but of course, that is simply my way when it comes to music, since I believe musicians are the best Historians of their time. They reflect (and sometimes affect) their times; and what comes after is the aural History, or response to what came before or exists now. That is my simpleminded way of looking at it.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

semisynthetic wrote:
BzaInSpace wrote:

Anyway, I'll never be happy though until 'they' officially release the last, truly bonkers The Pink Floyd single - 'Vegetable Man'/'"Scream Thy Last Scream" (Old Woman In A Basket)' - with only the varying/dubious quality of various bootlegs to go on, I still reckon it's as far out, dark, damaged and disturbed as 'UK Psychedelic Rock' ever went in the late 60s...

Well, I looked, and the name of the white "wax" bootleg I couldn't recall is simply "Flowers Vol. III" on a 10" disc in a BEAUTIFULLY done jacket, inner sleeve and inserts, all of photos of, you guessed it, Flowers. (A MUCH later "Flowers and Vegetables" is a COMPLETELY different example). "Flowers Vol. III" will say "Made in Germany", and it is really THE best example and highest quality recording, INCLUDING CD's of "Vegetable Man" and "Scream Your Last Scream (Old woman in a Casket)" I have ever heard, and it is an Italian disc. Truly Exceptional. There are no "Volumes I or II". c.1980. I hope that will help (until EMI decides to release the Masters of these two songs and they are officially released in one form or another).
Paracelsus
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

hello semisynthetic.... interested to hear what your favourite Floyd live/session bootlegs are?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

WOW, Spunder, that is difficult; the sheer number of them is overwhelming, and I admit I haven't heard all I have yet. I believe the one performance that stands out for me is a DVD of an "Atom Heart Mother" performance in its entirety.

The sound quality is Excellent, but much more important than even that beautiful piece, was to observe the audience. They sat on the floor or in chairs in absolute silence! The music was not interrupted, one can even hear a bad note in the orchestra from time to time; but the audience remains attentive and polite, drinking in every resonant tone and silent pause, that it is not until the very end of the last note do you hear them burst into a very long and prolonged clapping and thunderous yelling of approval that sounds of gratitude from hearing something they believe is Wonderful.

Not long after that, the Pink Floyd's success would make them become increasingly withdrawn from loud and oftentimes aggressive audiences usually with some fool yelling "PLAY MONEY".

This is a very TOUGH question you have asked me to answer! But, that one performance is not only beautiful to listen to, it is shockingly revealing to watch. It was like watching a video of going to a Magic Opera that everyone enjoys, instead of an excuse to be boorish and display a great immaturity and complete lack of respect for the artists who wish to share what they have created.

I know when I go to any show, I want to enjoy the music of the artists; it is easy to see how "The Wall" came about. I have a 1974 Programme (from a DSOTM Concert) that has lyrics from the (yet to be completed) "Animals" and "The Wall" that has harsher phrasing than the final releases!
Paracelsus
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Semi, is there any Saucerful unofficial mono vinyl copies you recommend? I see that there are a few listed on the Discogs page.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Minky wrote:Semi, is there any Saucerful unofficial mono vinyl copies you recommend? I see that there are a few listed on the Discogs page.

From what I have and HAVE HEARD in my collection:

There are several Early ROIOs that contain various evolutions of ASFOS; like many "unofficial" releases, they are essentially mono; I don't know what site(s) you referenced, I have no books or extended discographies other than what recordings I own, and that list is (mainly) in my head, (and why I had to go looking)!

But I will make a suggestion; at least 5 ROIOs that include ASFOS are each called "Pink Floyd BBC 1967-1969; one type that I remember having good sound, is a 2-LP set unique to all the other similar releases because the discs are on translucent, golden vinyl. The jacket is a heavily made, simple in design example with what looks like a record label listing (B&W) of all of the tracks. I have (2) different examples that vary only in the track order; the better of these two has ASFOS listed FIRST on side 2. I hope this helps.

There are other ASFOS, but they have "in progress" titles that vary greatly; the above "family" of disc sets are a good bet.

SEE BELOW:
I RECEIVED THIS FRIDAY last; and just haven't had time to even take a look, but this ROIO is a relatively new release, but I have not even looked at the vinyl yet; (I forgot that it was here until I put up some other new arrivals). I will try to have a listen soon; it might be very nice for you because I believe this may be easier to find then the discs above. Forgive the crummy cropped quickie photography.
:D

(I will post a few more singles as I am able to since there does seem to be some interest by the number of viewings; I think page 3 must have been overlooked, a Tower Promo and other singles on that page have much fewer viewings listed).
Attachments
PF ROIO; GERMAN? ASFOS side 2, track2
PF ROIO; GERMAN? ASFOS side 2, track2
SydBarrettBootlegPFaobv.jpg (40.27 KiB) Viewed 15422 times
Paracelsus
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Thanks for the info! I do have a mono vinyl transfer boot, the one with four extra tracks (of singles), which sounds really good. Maybe some day this album will get an "immersion / deluxe" release like they did with Piper.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

semisynthetic wrote:The sound quality is Excellent, but much more important than even that beautiful piece, was to observe the audience. They sat on the floor or in chairs in absolute silence! The music was not interrupted, one can even hear a bad note in the orchestra from time to time; but the audience remains attentive and polite, drinking in every resonant tone and silent pause, that it is not until the very end of the last note do you hear them burst into a very long and prolonged clapping and thunderous yelling of approval that sounds of gratitude from hearing something they believe is Wonderful.
sounds good, if you could point me in the direction....!

i seem to have 'Celestial Voices' on almost constant rotation at the mo, along with the 'Golden Circle '67' tape which was previewed the other year....its this ever going to get an official release???!!!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I downloaded a vinyl rip of this boot, it's supposed to sound good, I'll let you know when I listen

http://www.pf-roio.de/roio/roio-lp/rhap ... nk.lp.html
http://floydboots.com/pages/r12.php

Rhapsody In Pink (The Psychedelic Years)
BBC Sessions – 1968-1971
Anderson Council Records
Cat# LSD-25 (Unofficial Release)

Original 2x LP track listing:
(The CD version, released in 1990 by Harvest, is missing several of these tracks!)

A1 Let There Be More Light
A2 Murderistic Women
A3 Point Me At The Sky
A4 Embryo

B1 Julia Dream
B2 Green Is The Color
B3 Careful With That Axe, Eugene
B4 One of These Days

C1 If
C2 Atom Heart Mother

D1 Echoes

Tracks A1, A2, B1 – BBC Aeolian Hall, London; June 25, 1968.
Track A3 – BBC Maida Vale Studios; December 2, 1968.
Tracks A4, B2, B3, C1, C2 – Paris Cinema, London; July 16, 1970.
Track B4, D1 – Paris Cinema, London; September 30, 1971.

also - i have a questioon about this record; is the MONO version bootleg only?

This is the mono mix of Pink Floyd’s second lp, A Saucerful Of Secrets. Released in 1968, the mono mix has NEVER been reissued in any format. Some cuts (particularly Corporal Clegg and the title track) are significantly different to the stereo mix. The album was ripped from the original 1968 UK EMI Columbia mono LP.

Catalogue number: SX 6258.

Matrix numbers:
Side 1 – XAX 3633-1 O 1
Side 2 – XAX 3634-1 H 1 2
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The ROIO that you listed first is very common as to content, and that is where the problem is; I can give a name, and in some instances even a jacket cover, only to find that the Bootleg has been Bootlegged!

The finest example I can think of off the top of my head is "Crackers"; a 3-LP Boxed set of early outtakes and performances, and a Live DSOTM. The quality of the discs is great, the pressings and vinyl are very good; but I have at least 3 of what appear to be "Crackers" that vary wildly in content! The earliest is before DSOTM was released; another has only early performances arranged for the most part as "singles" along w/ interviews. The point is, these (3) sets have ONE thing in common besides being very good quality and ALL being different; the Cover on the box is a color photo of a young lady riding an Ostrich. OK, so it seems that the photo was a sort of "identifier" trademark to buyers, that "if you have ONE of these "Crackers" releases, and you know it is good, then this variant is also of good quality".

The thing is, that ANOTHER "Crackers" 3-LP Box set exists which is just awful! It carries the same name, even the same lineup as one of the "GOOD" sets, but the cover is a black & white low quality image of a "box of saltine crackers". It is TERRIBLE! The vinyl is awful to begin with; I have seen "bubbles" in a friends copy; I played 1 side just to see, and that was more than enough. Such recordings can damage delicate styli and thus hurt other recordings! I am just not much of a ROIO fan unless I KNOW ahead of time it is worth the trouble. Why I bought the "Internationales..." was a sort of "spur of the moment" purchase. I guess at least the cover is pretty.

So the bootleg/ROIO thing is really iffy, or as I've heard and read so often, "a gamble". I have searched out for certain bootlegs that, with the first pressings, were quite good. "The Coming of the Comet" has several names and several DIFFERENT issues, some, like "Crackers", are "bootlegged bootlegs" and lead to such disappointment in quality that I rarely purchase them anymore.

The "Internationales Essener" Pink Floyd ROIO [above] happened to come at an interesting time; I ordered that LP over 2 months ago, and it just so haoppened it arrived a week ago today, I opened the package, "OK, Great", and put it in the box that I use for new arrivals and forgot about it. I still have not had a chance to listen to it as I would like, but it is, for me, the exception to the rule. I just don't buy that many ROIOs anymore; unless something is "Great" and I hear from someone I know, or take a chance on that pronounces it "worthwhile".

Unfortunately for a certain record store (and collectors), a large seller of ROIOs "went out of business". This retirement was brought about because they were selling far more illicit recordings, more ROIOs than they did official releases, and someone squawked and they were made an example of. The internet may offer someone who sells (what is, afterall an illegal product) some degree of cover, and I'm certain the web is full of ROIOs; but I lost the "insider" viewpoint; where once I could very often hear "if you don't like it, send it back", the web is less personal.

I saved the links you gave because I seldom ever use the myriad of Pink Floyd sites. It is probably because I bought "the old fashioned way" for so long without a computer, I don't miss it. I have had a number of Private Dealers for decades that searched for recordings I wanted, and sent me boxes and even CRATES full of beautifully packaged recordings, a price list, and all I had to do was include a check (or cash) and send anything I didn't want back. That kind of "special service" has declined. These dealers were never fast, but they have always been EXTREMELY picky about what the quality of items that went in the package they sent out to their clientele. I now only receive packages this way from 2 dealers. IF they sent a ROIO, I could be certain it was worth purchasing, since they often added a little sheet describing the particular bootleg. The economic situation, postal rates and the internet among other things have changed this method. I once enjoyed having over a dozen dealers sending me a box of the very best of singles, LP's, EPs, everything, at one time. That is almost gone. Luckily, there are still those who are very helpful, and help me continue to improve my "Arkiv", often with music new to me.

I am happy that so many people share their opinions and "their lists" of what they have purchased, it has been very helpful to me, and I appreciate it greatly.

Although I do have my share of bootlegged recordings that I have gathered for years, they are NOT a primary point of interest for me, except those that have the otherwise never released versions or outtakes I am interested in.

As for the "mono" bit; when I bought bootlegs in the past, I just made a supposition that they were essentially mono. That is not true in a great many cases, but it was once a safe bet. The mono versions of OFFICIAL releases very often sound quite unlike the Stereo versions. I like Mono; most of my favorite Beatles and early 1960's recordings are in Monophonic. The mono versions of "Corporal Clegg" and "A Saucerful..." track do sound quite different from the Stereo versions. The 7" Promo AM sampler of "The Dark Side of the Moon" in Mono sounds VERY different in mix and overall presentation.

It so happens that "A Saucerful of Secrets" is one of my favorite LPs; but I prefer it in Stereo when I want a good listening session, and "mono" was just for the variant.

I hope this helps you in some way, and thank you for the links.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

(At this point in time) I have this on order; it is NOT a "Melodya" LP, but does still display the typical of Soviet era totalitarian "quality" of artwork; the pressings are generally very good, however, if it has not been played. This example is coming from Kazakhstan; c.1992, and should be a nice example, from a reputable dealer. I am interested in seeing if the Russians followed the Dutch, and kept them as the original releases, instead of the way "A Nice Pair" was put together. This is "Pink Floyd 67-68", a 2-LP set w/ gatefold cover on "Russian Disc" DMM Records, released in 1992.
Attachments
Pink Floyd; 1992 Russian Release; first 2 LP's; exact tracks not yet known 8/9/13
Pink Floyd; 1992 Russian Release; first 2 LP's; exact tracks not yet known 8/9/13
PFKazakhstanANICEPAIRcr.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 15328 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus