Anyway That You Want Me

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

vaudeville_vince
New user

Anyway That You Want Me

Post by vaudeville_vince »

Found this new article on one of the Spaceman's most under-rated records - enjoy :)

http://wp.me/p18aRM-PD
nickh
Known user

Re: Anyway That You Want Me

Post by nickh »

I don’t think that it is under-rated particularly. I think it is of it’s time and probably the only Spiritualized record that sounds a little dated now. That said, I still love it.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Interesting about the "dated" comment -- to me the most dated Spiritualized is Pure Phase, which has "mid 90s college indie" written all over it, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I also expect that Songs In A&E will date rather quickly.

I love Anyway That You Want Me, and think that the remixes (from the Real Complete Works, but they should certainly have been released officially in the Complete Works comps) are extremely underrated. I like the original, but one of the remixes (I think the second one) dispenses with some of the excessive reverb and is a little more concise.

Love the blissed out sound of those early records, and hope J returns to that sound a little more often. Baby I'm Just A Fool came close.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jadams501 wrote:Interesting about the "dated" comment -- to me the most dated Spiritualized is Pure Phase, which has "mid 90s college indie" written all over it, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.
Curiously that record felt like a let-down at the time as so much of it wasn't new. I have since revalued it and regard it as a masterpiece now. I don't hear 'dated' at any point but have to rather agree with Nick - I love AWTYWM but it sounds a little aged these days. As for the remixes - those are the only records Jason has ever made that appear to 'cash in' on what was going on on on the music scene, and I think they have dated very badly. Didn't like them much at the time either - way too obvious.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

runcible wrote:As for the remixes - those are the only records Jason has ever made that appear to 'cash in' on what was going on on on the music scene, and I think they have dated very badly. Didn't like them much at the time either - way too obvious.
Listening to them now, I'll agree that two of the three remixes are not improvements. I do think the first is better than the actual single, because it's a little shorter and dispenses with the annoying reverb around the vocals (an effect that also afflicts Recurring). The others have bits of awkwardness but are at least as compelling as alternate takes on the material as most of Friendly Fire and Blue on Blue.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

One of my favourite tracks, for sure
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

The 12" remixes is one of my favourite Spiritualized releases and has a special place in my heart. These are the only versions I play, never play the Complete Works version, is that the same as the 7"?

I worked in an Irish bar in Berlin in the summer of 1991 and had this and Recurring on a tape. We would return from working at the bar at about 3am and stay up all night playing that tape until we wenrt to bed around 10am every morning. Then up at 5pm to start work at 6pm, it nearly killed us :lol:

I would say they're more of their time than dated. Is Big City dated (I don't think so)? Screamadelica (which I'm not really a fan of)?
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

jadams501 wrote:Pure Phase, which has "mid 90s college indie" written all over it
So now it would seem that both Pure Phase AND Songs in A&E (from the Sweet Heart Sweet Light thread) are guilty of sounding like indie/generic indie.

I don't even know what this means and I certainly don't see how something as majestic as Let It Flow or anything as raucous as Electric Phase can collectively be described that way... To me it hasn't dated at all and certainly at the time it was an album and band that stood out from the crowd.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I wish I could describe it better, but something about the texture of Songs In A&E feels very Arcade Fire or some other Pitchfork band circa 2008. There are some great songs on there, but something about the sound of the record just doesn't feel timeless to me like their previous several records. It just sounds to me like Spaceman was trying to sound like other bands. I've come to like it more than I did initially, but it felt a bit dated to me even on release day. Whereas Amazing Grace and Let It Come Down feel less grounded in a particular moment.

Pure Phase doesn't have the same issue with sounding derivative, and is arguably Spiritualized at its most representative. The shows from around this time are my favorite of the band's career and of many others around here from what I gather. But it also sounds very 90s to me. Lay Back In The Sun, These Blues, and The Slide Song are great songs but as tied to their time as Black Hole Sun or other iconic tracks of the same period. There's nothing wrong with that -- Sgt. Pepper's isn't worse for being unmistakably 1967.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

didnt realize 2008 had a particular sound
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Is anyone else curious as to what anyway would sound like if this version of the band played it??

Im also curious about Hypnotized.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

marcvolta wrote:Is anyone else curious as to what anyway would sound like if this version of the band played it??

Im also curious about Hypnotized.
Of all the tunes that featured regularly in the live set in the past the one I would most like to see brought back from the dead is "These Blues". Doggen's whamonica is clearly up to the job, and I suspect that the bass parts will be adequately covered...

Was never convinced by the early efforts at Hypnotized, and would always vote for Billy Whizz in preference to any other Jason penned song off Recurring, despite the daft title....
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Was never convinced by the early efforts at Hypnotized, and would always vote for Billy Whizz in preference to any other Jason penned song off Recurring, despite the daft title....
In 1991 Feelin' Just Fine was one of the best songs in the set for me.
Heavy Tourism
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Loved the single when it came out (still have my CD copy)! Thought it was a wonderful progression following Playing With Fire and Recurring. Also really enjoyed Lazer Guided Melodies and Pure Phase, but have honestly been slightly disappointed by subsequent releases. Have kept holding onto hope that Jason would recapture the magic of that first single.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

plastic37 wrote:
In 1991 Feelin' Just Fine was one of the best songs in the set for me.
FJF is also one of the greatest Spacemen 3 songs ever. I would LOVE to heat that live again. The Spiritualized performance of that in November 1991 at the Mean Fiddler remains the single greatest musical moment of my life.

Hypnotized is incredible also - another classic begging for a return to the set!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

back in the day Hypnotized blew my mind ,would play it endlessly ,what a tune ,it seemed like quite a leap forward and so rewarding ,more so than Revolution ,which doesn`t do much for me these days ,but I still have the memories of when it when it knocked me side ways ,but Hypnotized still does it for me ,can still hear it and love it to bits,infact on certain days, if you were to ask me it would be my fav. Spacemen track, going to listen to it now,just to check if today is one of those days,
vaudeville_vince
New user

Post by vaudeville_vince »

From the same site as the original article - in an depth argument for Ladies & Gentlemen as the best album ever. It's a little wordy (the author has an intense style that's not for everyone, I suppose), but the sentiments are delicious

http://wp.me/p18aRM-1lS
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

RIP Reg Presley...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

The only Spiritualized version of it I like is the instrumental fiddles from Blue on Blue, otherwise Evie Sands' version wipes the floor.

I've never really understood why the band chose it to launch their career. Having said that I'm not really sure why I bought the 12", can only assume it was going cheap on eBay :?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It was lined up as the next Sp3 single, except the band split and as Jason had the whole of Sp3 in his camp it made perfect sense.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

runcible wrote:It was lined up as the next Sp3 single, except the band split and as Jason had the whole of Sp3 in his camp it made perfect sense.
Mr Kember not happy. His choice of single yes?
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

the sp3 book says sonic found it amusing that jason picked a song that sonic originally selected (demoed for playing with fire) to start his new band

i didnt know it was supposed to be the new sp3 single though
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

I personally love this one, especially the long version... I put it on a mixtape a month or two ago for my (girl)friend and she said she thought track four (I didn't put a tracklist w/ it, sometimes nice to keep it a secret formula) was amazingly beautiful (spectrum/All Night Long was another highlight for her, woohoo, as was Our Lips Are Sealed from the new Fuxa album). Anyways, played lgm for her that night, listening to the stuff w/ her and her liking it just all made me really happy. I'd be totally happy if Anyway That You Want Me always has a special meaning/memory for her, even if nothing more than it being the first Spiritualized track she ever heard... or maybe something more. But yeah, good song.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Kurious Oranj wrote:i didnt know it was supposed to be the new sp3 single though
I'm pretty sure about that. The recordings are about - on Forged Prescriptions for instance.

The thing about Pete and Jason is the influence they had on each other which is why their partnership produced such profoundly brilliant music. I'm sure there are trails of both on the first appearances of their work immediately after Sp3.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

runcible wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:i didnt know it was supposed to be the new sp3 single though
I'm pretty sure about that. The recordings are about - on Forged Prescriptions for instance.
Do you mean Playing With Fire? The demo version of ATYWM is on the bonus disc of PWF. I knew it was Pete Kember's suggestion they cover ATYWM, but I didn't realise it was a mooted single. When I listen to the demo version I get the impression that it has very minimal input/playing from Sonic, much in the way Jason's other songs on PWF are.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mc wrote:Do you mean Playing With Fire? The demo version of ATYWM is on the bonus disc of PWF. I knew it was Pete Kember's suggestion they cover ATYWM, but I didn't realise it was a mooted single. When I listen to the demo version I get the impression that it has very minimal input/playing from Sonic, much in the way Jason's other songs on PWF are.
Oops - yes, I stand corrected. On the PWF reissue...

I heard it was an intended single from a few people.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I never knew that it was actually mooted as a Sp3 single either, that's interesting. I thought it was just a quick knockabout in the PWF sessions, that Jason later thought would be a good idea as first single for his new band.
I think it's a great track, love the big cavernous outro on the long version.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

to bump an old thread - saw this single in the record shop tonight but didn't buy it because the bottom of the back of the sleeve is water damaged. the single is in good shape.

http://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-An ... ase/548012

anyone here need it, even in that condition? i'll look for it next time i'm there or ask the owner to pull & hold it for me.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I find the story of Anyway that you Want Me an interesting one.

In the book about Spacemen 3 that came out several years ago, the story goes that Sonic brings the song to the band as a song to cover and plays it to them. Jason has a go at the song. Sonic admits that Jason's interpretation is great and better than his own attempt. Sonic, for the greater good, relinquishes performance of the song to Jason. I'm guessing that since Sonic and Jason were hardly the best of friends during the making of PWF, the idea of covering it as a band fell by the wayside( I'd guess only Jason and Will play on that demo on PWF).

After touring PWF, recording Recurring and arguing with Sonic, Jason finally gets round to jamming the song as a full band with his live side project Spiritualized. He realises the full potential of the song in rehearsals.. At this point, he has finished his work on Recurring and is looking at playing live and building a set of new songs, whilst his estranged bandmate Sonic is still holed up in a studio and working alone or with other musicians on his half of Recurring.

Jason decides to record AWTYWM, but asks the members of his new band not to tell Sonic (again this could be for numerous reasons- to not screw up the big payday Spacemen 3 are about to come in to with Dedicated, out of his dislike for Sonic and to keep him out of the Spiritualized project, or possibly out if fear of how Sonic might react given the extreme tension. The latter point seems feasible- in Morse's book Jonny Mattock states that Sonic later attacked Jason in the street).

As for the song being used one day for a single by Spacemen 3, I don't recall that being in the book. Perhaps I've forgotten though.

Personally, I really love this song, and Spiritualized's take on it is my favourite. It's so simple, very primitive and yet kind of hints at where the band will go. I remember the first time I heard this- in a weird stroke of luck I picked it up in a guitar shop that sold used records, around 2002/2003. This was slightly before the YouTube/any-song-available-right-now era of the Internet, and a hugely important find for me. I had heard of the song, knew that it was a Troggs cover, but I had never heard the original or Spiritualized's version.

I remember looking at the artwork, the CD case with the Spacemen 3 sticker on it. I immediately grabbed it like I'd found the holy grail. At that moment it was worth more than all the 4- figure priced guitars hanging on the wall in that shop. It was weird, like a twist of fate that I was supposed to find this record. How can this just be sitting here, unnoticed?! With the Spacemen sticker on it?! And only £2?!

At the time, I was very heavily into Pure Phase, and was becoming more obsessed with Spiritualized by the point. In fact, I used to walk past that guitar shop everyday whilst going to college, Pure Phase in my ears and my mind (was that record lying in that shop that whole year before I finally decided to go in for a look?). Amazing Grace wasn't out yet. I'm pretty sure The Complete Works Vol 1 would be out a few months later and would have this song (and it's b-side) as its first tracks. It was all so timely and kind of beautiful. I guess there's no monetary value to the cd single, but that will always remain my 'stumbling upon a gem in a record store moment', made even sweeter that it was in the back of a dinghy guitar shop which I had no idea stocked 2nd hand records.

I always found the production on the track weirdly 'muddy', though I like how ethereal it sounds but also very rock and roll and pounding. I play the A-side pretty often. I sometimes listen to the remixes but mostly I'm not keen on them. I do love the violins outtake on the Blue on Blue (?) comp, very cool. Surely that must mean there is a very direct un-reverbed version out there? If a band brought that out as a debut today, I think I'd sit up and take notice.

I love this track. It's melancholy, but optimistic and full of that perfect mix of musical beauty and primitive rock and roll. It will always have that beautiful memory of me discovering it in a 2nd hand record stand like it was waiting there for me, me then taking it home and putting it on and being completely blown away by it, a song I had not heard a note of before. I haven't quite had that feeling since, maybe I will never have it again.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Are you testing the readers of this forum for your own about SPZ? :)
You have squeezed together some insights, inspections that are lovely close.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

heisenberg wrote:This was slightly before the YouTube/any-song-available-right-now era of the Internet, and a hugely important find for me. I had heard of the song, knew that it was a Troggs cover, but I had never heard the original or Spiritualized's version.
Good post.

Picking up the Complete Works around the time Amazing Grace came out and I was really getting into the band was a revelation. I'd been able to track down most of the albums but had never heard Any Way That You Want Me, Feel So Sad, Why Don't You Smile Now, Peel Session etc. Whatever the shortcomings of that release for the truly hardcore, at that time before peer-to-peer it was amazing to get ahold of that material. Considering how little money Spz records tend to make, it's amazing it got released.

I do like some of the alternate takes as much as the original. I guess the one in my head is a composite of all the best parts of the different versions, kind of like Lay Back In The Sun. I wish more Spz songs had that wealth of alternate arrangements that we've gotten for early stuff from boots and that L&G rerelease. I would listen to a few extra takes of Life Is A Problem, beyond the intro/outro, and lots of other things.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jadams501 wrote:
heisenberg wrote:This was slightly before the YouTube/any-song-available-right-now era of the Internet, and a hugely important find for me. I had heard of the song, knew that it was a Troggs cover, but I had never heard the original or Spiritualized's version.
Good post.

Picking up the Complete Works around the time Amazing Grace came out and I was really getting into the band was a revelation. I'd been able to track down most of the albums but had never heard Any Way That You Want Me, Feel So Sad, Why Don't You Smile Now, Peel Session etc. Whatever the shortcomings of that release for the truly hardcore, at that time before peer-to-peer it was amazing to get ahold of that material...
Completely agree. For the likes of me and you those releases were essential - the vast majority of it was completely unheard of me before and to have it all on one collection mostly at hi-fidelity (certain flexi-disc sourced tracks aside) it was mindblowing, in it's own way.

At the time I found the absurdly harsh criticism of the Complete Works OTT and seemed to me like pure snobbery - clearly, these weren't really aimed at the serious hardcore collector but the likes of us who'd gotten into the band post LAG or whatever. I think Ian Goodchild disappeared soon after in a froth of extreme indignation... :wink:

I suspect part of the rub might have been due to the bottom falling out of the market for the early singles and EPs - I recall picking up the luminous 12" of Run and the 12" with poster of Medication after that release for less than a tenner for both. Others became easier and cheaper to get a hold of, no doubt.

I reckon without the Complete Works those releases would now be gathering insane Heads like prices on eBay and discogs - fuck that. Those songs deserve to be heard by anybody!

Anyway - I love that track. Starts very quietly and really build up in into this shimmering wall of sound. The mix sorta changes throughout as well, guitars appear and fade, percussion swims around and gets louder...

I have to say though, I loathe the Troggs version. It sounds so, I dunno, clunky and dated. I think the Spacemen really must have been inspired by this version - the true version - given she worked a lot with Chip Taylor who wrote the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hlSkGizqXY

Big massive thanks to Mr Laz69 who I can vividly recall posting this up many years ago - truly an earth-shaking thing hearing this for the first time - tracked down the album of the same name soon after and it remains a favourite to this day...

(The shitty YouTube quality of this track - which is the best I can find - does the quality of this music a grave disservice - Fuck YouTube!)
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I got into Spz through LAG, like many folk, and quickly picked up everything I could in the major record stores. Presumably because of LAG's success, Spacemen 3 releases were easy to find as well, so I quickly bought them too. (I look back on those days with bemused fondness - the thought of finding Dreamweapon in a Virgin Megastore seems so odd now!) When I started university I found Chris Barrus' Spz discography online, and for two years I salivated over the pictures and details of the early single releases, knowing fine well I could never afford any of them and wondering when on earth I would be able to hear them, if ever. Same goes for all the Spectrum and EAR releases.

Luckily, studying Physics at Uni, I had unlimited access to an entire room of high-spec computers with ridiculously fast (for the era) broadband internet connections*. In 2000 a friend of mine gave me a copy of Napster that could be installed and run on a 100 MB Zip disc (remember them?), thereby getting round the old 'can't install any programs on a public computer' problem. The very first thing I did when I loaded it up for the first time was search for Any Way That You Want Me and Feel So Sad. Within fifteen minutes I had both of them on my Zip disc in mp3 format. I loaded up WinAmp and was transported to heaven.** The second thing I did was search for Soul Kiss (Glide Divine). That took a day or two to piece together, but I was soon transported to heaven all over again. Then I got my own PC and a network connection in my room in halls. Endless heaven!

So thanks to being a peer-to-peer early adopter***, I had the majority of the Complete Works before it came out. That said, I snapped it up instantly - the curse of poor quality and mis-labelled mp3s was rife back then, and it got me versions of Good Dope Good Fun I'd never heard before. Simply having all those songs on two high quality CDs was wonderful, and I greatly appreciated the release. Fast forward thirteen years from my initial Napster binge and I have lovely vinyl copies of ATYWM and FSS, but I don't listen to them: they're framed and hanging up in the hall :)

______

*In fact, my current crummy broadband connection is significantly slower than the connection I had in my halls of residence bedroom twelve years ago. Progress, huh :oops:

**That said, over the years I'd built up the 13 minute version of Feel So Sad in my head to a ridiculous degree. I adored Drive/Feel So Sad on Recurring, and I had visions of the Spz version being essentially God's own music. I must confess, I was a teeny bit disappointed; the 13 minute version was sparse and pretty and beautiful, but it lacked a certain something - the influence of Drive, I think. I still love it, but the two Recurring versions still rule supreme for me.

***In 2001 I was banned from Napster for being one of those naughty souls who tried to download pre-release copies of the Manics' Know Your Enemy. I've still never heard it to this day :lol: Never mind, I soon found Audiogalaxy, which was even more powerful and comprehensive than Napster - a very early version of torrenting, essentially. Nowadays I never download music illegally (although I do download OOP records, live recordings and boots) and have long since deleted or bought legally the vast majority of the mp3s I acquired as a student. Nevertheless, P2P downloading was responsible for hugely widening my music taste, and it let me discover things I'd never have been able to hear or afford at the time. Great days :D
Last edited by mc on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

BzaInSpace wrote:At the time I found the absurdly harsh criticism of the Complete Works OTT and seemed to me like pure snobbery - clearly, these weren't really aimed at the serious hardcore collector but the likes of us who'd gotten into the band post LAG or whatever.
Exactly. The Complete Works weren't for those of us who'd been around from the start, they were for newcomers who wanted the old stuff without having to hunt for ages and pay silly prices. It was also funny that some people criticised them for having too many versions of the same tracks, while at the same time saying that they'd left some versions off.
BzaInSpace wrote:Anyway - I love that track. Starts very quietly and really build up in into this shimmering wall of sound. The mix sorta changes throughout as well, guitars appear and fade, percussion swims around and gets louder...
One of the things I love about it is the way that the vocals have a reverse echo at the start of some lines, but that it doesn't come crashing in - it stays nice and soft, not overloading the fuzziness of the overall effect.
BzaInSpace wrote:I think the Spacemen really must have been inspired by this version - the true version - given she worked a lot with Chip Taylor who wrote the song:

Almost certainly. For anyone who hasn't heard this before, here's another Evie track, that might sound a bit familiar; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUn4ULtQWB0.
mc wrote:When I started university I found Chris Barrus' Spz discography online, and for two years I salivated over the pictures and details of the early single releases, knowing fine well I could never afford any of them and wondering when on earth I would be able to hear them, if ever. Same goes for all the Spectrum and EAR releases.
I think there is a whole generation of us who longingly checked out Chris' discography most days thinking exactly that...
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

mc wrote:I got into Spz through LAG, like many folk, and quickly picked up everything I could in the major record stores. Presumably because of LAG's success, Spacemen 3 releases were easy to find as well, so I quickly bought them too. (I look back on those days with bemused fondness - the thought of finding Dreamweapon in a Virgin Megastore seems so odd now!) When I started university I found Chris Barrus' Spz discography online, and for two years I salivated over the pictures and details of the early single releases, knowing fine well I could never afford any of them and wondering when on earth I would be able to hear them, if ever. Same goes for all the Spectrum and EAR releases.
The Complete Works really fills an essential hole in the discography, particularly at that time when Recurring was out of print. Nowadays it's easy to find, legitimately or not, and I was thrilled to order a copy of the reissue directly from Sonic with his autograph, after some years of looking longingly at ebay profiteering. That whole early period from Side II of Recurring to Pure Phase had a lot of key tracks that never made an LP. Lazer Guided Melodies to me is the best of all the early stuff, but just having that and Pure Phase is like listening to the Beatles without Past Masters.

Re: Virgin Megastore, believe it or not the Union Square location (r.i.p.) is where I found my copy of Guitar Loops, which I'd never planned on buying but I couldn't resist the novelty of getting it there.
mc wrote:**That said, over the years I'd built up the 13 minute version of Feel So Sad in my head to a ridiculous degree. I adored Drive/Feel So Sad on Recurring, and I had visions of the Spz version being essentially God's own music. I must confess, I was a teeny bit disappointed; the 13 minute version was sparse and pretty and beautiful, but it lacked a certain something - the influence of Drive, I think. I still love it, but the two Recurring versions still rule supreme for me.
But the 13 minute version has better vocals shorn of the excessive reverb from the Recurring sessions. And I like the extended instrumental bit that got cut and released separately. I try to listen to Feel So Sad all together as a suite, like on the Complete Works but with the demo and remix and other alternate takes -- the problem is that it's more than an hour long!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

jadams501 wrote: The Complete Works really fills an essential hole in the discography, particularly at that time when Recurring was out of print. Nowadays it's easy to find, legitimately or not, and I was thrilled to order a copy of the reissue directly from Sonic with his autograph, after some years of looking longingly at ebay profiteering.
Good point about Recurring. I bought my canon Spacemen 3 albums in the summer of 1998. I paid £7 for my CD copy of Recurring in Tower Records (along with Stereolab's Space Age Batchelor Pad Music for £5, a good day!) I think I must've picked up one of the last copies before it went OOP, because I'd never seen it before and I never saw it again for years afterwards. However, the Glasgow Argyle Street branch of HMV always had good stocks of SoC, TPP and PWF for sale. I missed out on Translucent Flashbacks at the time; I used to see it in HMV a lot, but it had vanished from sale before I realised how badly I needed it...

(now I'm wondering why my brain chose to remember this over so many more important life events :lol:)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

BzaInSpace wrote: I have to say though, I loathe the Troggs version. It sounds so, I dunno, clunky and dated. I think the Spacemen really must have been inspired by this version - the true version - given she worked a lot with Chip Taylor who wrote the song:

Big massive thanks to Mr Laz69 who I can vividly recall posting this up many years ago - truly an earth-shaking thing hearing this for the first time - tracked down the album of the same name soon after and it remains a favourite to this day...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa!!!!! This is amazing! And I Can't Let Go too!! Jeeeez this is a good week for some new discoveries...
mc wrote:Nevertheless, P2P downloading was responsible for hugely widening my music taste, and it let me discover things I'd never have been able to hear or afford at the time.
Just wanted to echo that but also expand a little I guess - discovering torrenting at the age of 14 and having a whole world of seemingly limitless music options open up is absolutely what set me down the "music" path - I would bet that you could draw some loose causal chain from that happening to me taking music theory classes in college now/working at radio stations/buying loads of records etc. What is interesting to me I guess is the way that most people on this board would have had their love for music turn them on to illegally acquiring music, whereas for me exposure to torrenting is what led me to immerse myself in musicstuffs. Feels cheap or like cheating or something, but whatever doesn't matter, it's beside the point and irrelevant to the thread anyways.

PS I'm really loving this thread.
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

But the 13 minute version has better vocals shorn of the excessive reverb from the Recurring sessions. And I like the extended instrumental bit that got cut and released separately. I try to listen to Feel So Sad all together as a suite, like on the Complete Works but with the demo and remix and other alternate takes -- the problem is that it's more than an hour long![/quote]

i did the same thing i put all the versions together on one disc and often play it on long road trips in the middle of the night. as it being an hour long, for me it could go on another hour or two!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

interesting thread. it's funny how people's interactions with music vary by age- according to how formats evolve etc.

I only had a very brief soulseek phase, and I've never really got into downloading music as a rule. I did find a random live version of Sway that goes into Come Together from the '98 tour. still don't know which show it's from.

I also remember reading Spiritualized's discography and drooling over the fantastic cover art (Jason has always put a lot of effort in this area) and all the tracks that I'd never heard. I had to seek out things at record fairs and the occasional lucky find in an independent shop. remember stumbling on CDs of Perfect Prescription and Playing With Fire and being overjoyed.
weirdly big evil HMV was where I found most of my Verve singles.

that's why I also think the criticism of The Complete Works went a bit far. I guess it just provided the bare minimum (there was nothing unreleased and no archive digging) and the packaging could have been a bit better (laziness masquerading as minimalism?) but for us new fans it mopped up a lot of things in one place. I distinctly remember the first time I heard Anyway That You Want Me and the long Feel So Sad.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

jadams501 wrote: But the 13 minute version has better vocals shorn of the excessive reverb from the Recurring sessions. And I like the extended instrumental bit that got cut and released separately. I try to listen to Feel So Sad all together as a suite, like on the Complete Works but with the demo and remix and other alternate takes -- the problem is that it's more than an hour long!
I actually really like the reverb on the Recurring tracks, particularly FSS - I think it suits J's voice very well, although it can get a bit wearing song after song if I'm not in the mood for it. However, I do very much like the clarity and beauty of his voice on the full length Spiritualized version. I previously said my favourite versions were on Recurring, but I'm not so sure now - I forgot about the Angel Sigh/Feel So Sad masterpiece on the Medication EP...
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

I found this demo version of Anyway That You Want Me in the demonoid Spacemen 3 torrent from a few years ago. Its not the same as the demo on Playing with fire disc 2.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/818bov

Its labeled as Jason Pierce Demos 1990 Anyway that you want me. The folder also contains a demo version of Lord can you hear me.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

thanks for the demo - i'd like to hear the other one, too.

i picked up the single tonight. record is NM, sleeve is... well, here are pix.

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I had an immaculate copy of this. I hate seeing all these pics... makes me with i still had all my vinyl :(
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

BzaInSpace wrote:

(The shitty YouTube quality of this track - which is the best I can find - does the quality of this music a grave disservice - Fuck YouTube!)
I can up a better quality copy if any one wants it.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

evan:) wrote:I found this demo version of Anyway That You Want Me in the demonoid Spacemen 3 torrent from a few years ago. Its not the same as the demo on Playing with fire disc 2.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/818bov
Its labeled as Jason Pierce Demos 1990 Anyway that you want me. The folder also contains a demo version of Lord can you hear me.
The verses sound very Jesus-and-Mary-Chain-esque. Great stuff. I've never heard this before, nor have I heard that 13-minute demo version. I would love to hear it if someone is willing to post it.

All of this is making me think of those threads discussing the appending of the "Real Complete Works" compilations...