Big Star- Nothing Can Hurt Me documentary

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Big Star- Nothing Can Hurt Me documentary

Post by spzretent »

Finally I got to see this. I have been waiting six months as it never played any theater in Detroit. I bought the DVD and watched it last week. Given who is left from the band and record comapany it is a great story albeit a sad one.
Such an influential band that sold very few records. A power pop version of VU I guess. Only less successful. Perhaps that is how they wanted it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Re: Big Star- Nothing Can Hurt Me documentary

Post by jack white »

i never travel far w/o a little big star.
one of my favourite bands. perhaps my favourite memphis act ever actually..
gotta admit tho stuff like don't lie to me/she's a mover/way out west are a real dated drag. most of their stuff is disarmingly fresh & relevant tho.

i read the book a few yrs back but haven't gotten round to the film yet. it never showed over here either surprisingly enough (it & the harry dean stanton one are films i'm desperate to see, the hds did show but too far away for me to travel).

i don't know if they wanted to be unsuccessful - i think the lack of success actually affected bell quite badly?
i think a lot of it was due to distribution & record label politics?? can't clearly remember the story.

i think later chilton was more than happy to be away from the limelight. he'd of course had his #1 pop hit w/the box tops & the letter & from what i remember he'd about had his fill w/the fame game.
however Radio City is surely one of the most perfect pop-rock albums of all time. even more so than the pristine #1 record, RC's songs are just about immaculate - take way out west (a decent & powerful enough song in it's own right) out of the record & it's w/o blemish.

by 3rd tho chilton's course is firmly set.

a few of the songs off bell's solo album are jawdropping also. you & your sister is one of the best big star songs. a few of the tunes would've been perfect big star material not least the incredible title track (which chilton later added to the big star setlists).
chilton's solo output is a bit of a minefield but it's an intriguing body nonetheless. & of course his stint in the panther burns was quality.. & lets not forget his work w/the cramps & the gories.. rock n roll owes him a huge debt.

i actually have my little niece singing september gurls. her birthday's in september & she just turned 5 this yr. i played it for her one day & she loved it. like everyone else she can't really make head nor tail of the lyrics or even hear them correctly, but she still loves the melody & the great big chorus, & of course that great big splash of an opening. fittingly enough she doesn't ask me to put on the beatles anymore but september gurls..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If anyone is a huge Big Star fan check out their official merch:
http://ardentmusic.11spot.com/
15% until the end of today as well. Assuming this is a worldwide offer. Not 100% sure though.
That Chris Bell- I Am The Cosmos Rhino Handmade 2x CD is way cheaper than the Rhino site. By $15.
Other cool stuff on offer too. Including said DVD.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

$1349.00 for that big star sign! :shock:
it is really sweet.
ah... to have money, eh?

ty for the link. prob gonna grab that dvd & tshirt for a buddy as a nice surprise.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jack white wrote:$1349.00 for that big star sign! :shock:
If you buy it today it is 15% off. :wink:

A story worth repeating.
I placed an order on friday as I was led to believe some of these items were only for Black Friday. Then on Sunday they announce a sale with all the same items. I was was kind of pissed off. Because i ordered the first day I was essentially penalized 15% for buying early.
I sent an email to the customer service dept yesterday and I received a reply today with a refund of the 15% and the person who emailed totally understood why I emailed.
That is great customer service.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spzretent wrote:
jack white wrote:$1349.00 for that big star sign! :shock:
If you buy it today it is 15% off. :wink:

ha! i should've thought of that. maybe this time next yr...

yea that is good service.
i hate when stuff like that happens & usually it's tough shit. & it happens quite a lot around this time of the yr w/various sales on - my sister actually experienced something similar w/amazon just last week & their black friday sales & of course they dismissed her request, told her they couldn't help her. she'd actually wanted to return an item & buy an more expensive one! you'd think they'd welcome that but they just couldn't go to the effort to do it for her.
people should be kinder & more generous all round really. i'm not too surprised tbh, there does seem to be a warmth emanating out of ardent & generated by the love of the band it's always a good vibe coming from people regarding big star. there's never any meanness or aggressiveness - except maybe from alex chilton from time to time.. but that's different. am talking about the attitudes from those outside of the music. it's a good positive energy.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

When I got home from the UK, my blu ray copy of the documentary was waiting for me. I'm watching it tomorrow night. VERY excited. I was trying to organize a screening of it in San Diego a few months back, but that never really panned out.

Huge band for me. Radio City is the greatest air drumming album.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Saw it last night and was impressed. Great music, but a very sad story all around.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Oh, and LAGWAFIS and Screamadelica make brief appearances in Jim Dickinson's home.