Lupine Howl 3rd album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

outlier
Known user

Lupine Howl 3rd album

Post by outlier »

Lupine Howl's 3rd album Take The Sun & Burn The Earth is looking like an October release date.

Just some mixing to do but things are going pretty well - I'll be interviewing Sean about it this week so will post it.

Meanwhile, here's his choices of 5 favourite albums - Nuclear Bunker Discs. Just a darker version of desert island discs really...

http://www.tincan.tv/features/music/480 ... er-discs-/
Last edited by outlier on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laz69
Known user

Re: Lupine Howl

Post by Laz69 »

Great stuff!!! 8)
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

outlier wrote:Lupine Howl's 3rd album Take The Sun & Burn The Earth is looking like an October release date.
better late than never! :wink:

amazing title too. i'm imaging some kind of celestial Prometheus...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Wow, this is some unexpected news! I never got around to relistening to their 2nd LP so I'm looking forward to revisiting their catalog in preparation for the new album.
outlier
Known user

Post by outlier »

Yeah it's a cool title...I'm sure I've heard Sean sing it in a song - maybe a Flies track, not sure.
outlier
Known user

Post by outlier »

Here we go folks.

further news....
Last edited by outlier on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
outlier
Known user

Post by outlier »

outlier wrote:Lupine Howl's 3rd album Take The Sun & Burn The Earth is looking like an October release date.

Just some mixing to do but things are going pretty well - I'll be interviewing Sean about it this week so will post it.

Meanwhile, here's his choices of 5 favourite albums - Nuclear Bunker Discs. Just a darker version of desert island discs really...

http://www.tincan.tv/features/music/480 ... er-discs-/

As promised, an update from Sean:

http://www.tincan.tv/features/music/547 ... wl-update/
Fede77
Known user

Re: Lupine Howl 3rd album

Post by Fede77 »

Has anyone ever seen Lunine Howl live? I remember that a lot of magazines wrote that they were very powerful! Fantastic gigs! Do you agree? Did they have two drummers? Is it true that on second guitar there was Adrian Utley??
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Saw them twice in Glasgow, once on each tour. First show was amazing and they simply blew the place apart (King Tuts if i recall). The songs from the first album were incredible, especially Sometimes and Carnival. Second time was at a shitty wee venue called The Barfly on the clydeside...again the band were amazing, especially hearing the songs from the second album played live. Venue flung the band off stage at 10pm due to a disco that followed the show. Sean spoke to some guy at the side of the room and then anounced "that was it; they'd love to play more but that prick says we can't" pointing directly at the guy who was trying to get them off stage.

Only one drummer as i recall at both shows, but there was another guitarist apart from Mike Mooney; don't think it was Adrian tho... maybe someone else can confirm... Outlier?

I'd LOVE to see another show... Mike Mooney's guitar playing was something else to see!
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Has anyone any photos about Lupine Howl live? I'd like to see them..How was Sean when he played bass a sang?
Did they use keyboards or organs?

And what about The Flies? I think that they are something different, less rock...
outlier
Known user

Post by outlier »

I saw them as a 3 piece & a 4 piece, twice in one week in Bristol.

One in a pub (3), the second supporting Massive Attack (4) at a huge outdoor gig, they were wicked on both occasions :D

Totally agree about Mike Mooney, adore listening to him. Whatever the legacy/back catalogue, LH's Burning Stars for me is one of his finest moments.

2 drummers...not sure. Would've needed a health warning :) Think there was both Damon Reece & Jonny Mattock listed on one album, but one replaced the other...Damon was working on production more & more, an album with Liz Fraser if I remember.

The extra guitarist could've also been a guy called Ian MacLaren from a band called Sunna....
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Laz69 wrote:I'd LOVE to see another show... Mike Mooney's guitar playing was something else to see!
seconded! besides, it seems like such a waste to record a new album and NOT play the songs live :wink:
Antwaaang
New user

Post by Antwaaang »

Hi there all,

very big LH fan here too! No pics or live vids so far? well it seems there's some Mooney fans out there. I totally agree with you guys, I've never saw him playing live -just some vid-, but his guitar craft is top killer. Any fans of Applecraft, Don Mandarin...or the Sex Gods/Balcony Dogs? his work really shines in those bands! This man deserves more attention and we need pics :wink:
Antwaaang
New user

Post by Antwaaang »

outlier
Known user

Post by outlier »

Antwaaang wrote:Hi there all,

very big LH fan here too! No pics or live vids so far? well it seems there's some Mooney fans out there. I totally agree with you guys, I've never saw him playing live -just some vid-, but his guitar craft is top killer. Any fans of Applecraft, Don Mandarin...or the Sex Gods/Balcony Dogs? his work really shines in those bands! This man deserves more attention and we need pics :wink:

Applecraft :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1cbi93zumo
Antwaaang
New user

Post by Antwaaang »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I've only just this got hold of The Flies - All too Human - really impressed by it, love the soundtracky lounge feel. Hope the Flies carry on from what I've heard, but looking forward to the new Lupine Howl album.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah Clewsr... The Flies album is brilliant... 8)
RichardH
New user

Post by RichardH »

Looking forward very much to hearing the third LH Album, hopefully we don't have to wait to long now? For me Lupine Howl are and will allways be one of my all time favourite groups. They were great on record and even better as a live group. The many Lupine Howl I had the pleasure of attending between early 2000 and the end of 2003 are some of the best gigs I have had the pleasure of attending.

A few personal Highlights include their very first live performance at the Moles Club in Bath on 12th Feb 2000. The original Line up of Sean Cook bass, Mike Mooneye guitar, Damon Reece drums, Adrian Utley second guitar and John Baggot keyboards.

Then there were the gigs with Lupine Howl Mark 2 (Carnival tour fall 2001). Sean Cook bass, Mike Mooneye guitar,Johnny Mattock Drums, Damon Reece Percusion and Alex Lee (from suede) second guitar. The highlights being the Fleece in Bristol and the Bristol Ashton Court Festival, with most of the crowd, missing a great set deciding to watch the Wurzels on the other stage instead! When Alex Lee had to return to recording duties with suede I recall a memorable gig co headling with the Heads at the Thekla in Bristol Thursday the 6th of December 2001 with Mike giving a great performance as the sole guitarist that night, and thanks to great but very loud set from the heads my ears were ringing for hours afterwards!

Then the final line up Sean Cook Bass, Mike Mooneye Guitar, Johnny Mattock drums, Ian MacLaren second guitar with help from friends including Mike Crawford. The Highlight being the last night of the Bar at the End of the World Tour October 26 2002, the band were on fire that night finally coming off stage at 12.50am having just performed a stunning 11 min version of the Jam that ate itself, Johnny Mattocks Druming that night amongst the live drumming I have ever seen.

The very last time i saw them live was at their last ever gig at the louisian in Bristol on December 9th 2003. That night they played an 8 song set including 5 tracks which they had been working on for their third release Guided by Voices, A Side to be on, New Born Soul, Infected and Misty Mountain Rock. At the time Mike was telling me that since they no longer had a ontract with Beggers, they had been trying to find a lable willing to release the third Album , but as yet with no success, until now.. That was it 2003 came and went and the band all went their seperate ways, Sean staying in Bristol, working with the flies etc.. Mike Returning to Liverpool, now a member of the Wild Swans and Johnny Going back to Northampton, where I believe he has been a tutor at Northampton College!

Lets hope that the release of the third album is not the last we here from Lupine Howl. I for one would love to see more releases and lets hope some more live gigs as well!

Richard

Salisbury.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

New track up on SoundCloud for those interested.

Lupine Howl - A Side To Be On

Liking it a lot!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

thanks,
Laz69 wrote:New track up on SoundCloud for those interested.

Lupine Howl - A Side To Be On

Liking it a lot!
not bad.. any word on the album release date? I've a feeling we're not in october anymore...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Johnny Mattock told me it was just about ready to go a week or so ago when i asked him, so hopefully not too much longer.
jpbowman
Known user

Post by jpbowman »

Not sure if this has been posted already?

"Fuck me...Lupine Howl LP3 'Take The Sun & Burn The Earth' is (just about) finished. Watch this space to buy your copy very soon."

Taken from their Facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/lupinehowl
http://www.thegoldentroubadours.co.uk/
Dreamlike acoustic band from Nottingham with shades of flamenco, soul, folk and blues.
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

The Flies have a new video for One Day My Baby Will Leave You, sounds very good. So we have a new Lupine and Flies album coming soon. Oops, go the Flies or Sean's Facebook page to see the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWHYK3lo0o
Jason Burkett
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Fede77 wrote:Has anyone ever seen Lunine Howl live? I remember that a lot of magazines wrote that they were very powerful! Fantastic gigs! Do you agree? Did they have two drummers? Is it true that on second guitar there was Adrian Utley??
Saw them a couple of times back in the day, vaguely remember them being good shows. The last time was at the Garage, we got right near the front and after one particularly prog-y workout my mate waited for it to go quiet then shouted "Silver Machine!"

Didn't go down too well with the lead singer as I recall...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Saw them twice in Glasgow. First time was in small venue (King Tuts possibly?) and they blew the place apart. Second show was at Barfly venue on the clydeside. Shitty venue. Kicked the bank off at 10pm. Sean got really pissed off and said they'd love to play more but anounced, while pointing to the promotor/owner, "... THAT cunt won't let us!" - triggering much booing and berating of said promoter/owner. They were really flying too.
never had two drummers at either of those shows, but i do recall them being REALLY loud shows!

From a live perspective, songs like Sometimes, Carnival and Trust Me were just incredible... they seemed to be everything i wanted Spiritualized to be at the time... hope they make it back up to Glasgow in the future. Would love to witness a Flies show too sometime.