What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

olan
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by olan »

runaway wrote:I get the feeling that fans of WL/WH are the same ones who rave about Astral Weeks and Pacific Ocean Blue...
Not here....I never really liked Dennis Wilson or the Beach Boys much. Ditto Van Morrison. WL/WH is superb though
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like WL/WH and Pacific Ocean Blue, but could never get into Astral Weeks or really anything by Van Morrison.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow it takes all sorts doesn't it? I find it hard to believe anyone into the type of music covered on this board wouldn't find a lot to love in WL/WH. it's a total classic in my opinion.

for the record I don't really enjoy Dennis Wilson or the Beach Boys. Astral Weeks is pretty good.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runaway wrote:I get the feeling that fans of WL/WH are the same ones who rave about Astral Weeks and Pacific Ocean Blue...
Woah! I actually don't like WL/WH that much although realise its importance in the scheme of things....I'd much rather listen to the Gymnasium gig. Van Morrison does nothing for me and since Stella Street series 3 I cannot divorce the real one from the John Sessions impression of him singing a tune entitled 'a fish, a fuck' (see also David Bowie as done by Phil Cornwell singing 'white suited and booted'). I also found Pacific Ocean Blue a bit dull but I love the Beach Boys. Hope this helps....
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Other than the Van thing I fully agree with the above sentiments.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i too can't get into van morrison

except for his work with Them, which is great

I've tried astral weeks countless times, even recently having read lester bangs piece on it, but still, nothing clicks for me
spunder wrote:
runaway wrote:I'm gonna have to give it another go, but I can't tell you how shocked I was at first listen. "...busy sucking on my ding dong"?
ha ha! hilarious FORTY FIVE years later and still has the power to shock....brilliant
favorite story i read was at a gig when lou sung that line, and a female in the audience shrieked in horror so he kept repeating it louder and louder
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

stars of the lid- 'avec laudenum' and 'the ballasted orchestra'

saw them live on sunday and it was one of the best shows i've been to in a long time- impossible beautiful.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

shalloboi wrote:stars of the lid- 'avec laudenum' and 'the ballasted orchestra'

saw them live on sunday and it was one of the best shows i've been to in a long time- impossible beautiful.
I was there as well, it could have been better if it was seated like their past shows, and not so crowded. This show is on dime now
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well I love Astral Weeks and Pacific Ocean Blue. Cypress Avenue off Astral Weeks is amazing as is a lot more off that record.
I prefer Pacific Ocean Blue to almost every BB record except Holland.
WL/WH my least favorite Velvets lp.
It takes all types,
I honor of this thread I am going to play Astral Weeks.

Sounds even better than I remembered.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I love White Light/White Heat, some of my favorite songs on that one. I also love the old Beach Boys catalog and the Dennis Wilson album is good too but Van Morrison on the other hand is one of those artists I really wanted to like but I don't. The only thing I Iike by him is "Caravan" from The Last Waltz.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Moondance is irreproachable, in my opinion, but I never "got" Astral Weeks. The Beach Boys are easily in my top five favorite bands and I wanted to like Pacific Ocean Blue, especially after all the hype, but I don't really consider it masterpiece material.
I gotta say, though, the title track of WL/WH is pretty fucking cool - so used to that live (Rock 'N' Roll Animal) version that I had to let this one sink in.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I love "Astral Weeks". In fact, I saw a rather amazing play at an indie theatre house inspired/based entirely on "Astral Weeks". It was fucking brilliant and my wife and I talked about it for a couple days afterwards. I also love "Forever Changes" and "White Light/White Heat". Hey, I'm nearly 45...call me a "hippie" (but really, I'm too young to be one). I was, however, born in Jan. 1969. Are these musical admissions a bad thing?

But, I will admit...I don't like The Beach Boys (not even "Pet Sounds").
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

redcloud wrote:But, I will admit...I don't like The Beach Boys (not even "Pet Sounds").
:(
That's what's great about this board, the variety of tastes of folks on here but we all seem to be in the same place.
:D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oops! Wrong Bryan Jones.
Attachments
bj.jpg
bj.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 8924 times
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Astral Weeks has some reaching experimental tracks that I don't connect with, but Sweet Thing and Cyprus Avenue stand with or above anything from Moondance or his more scattershot later records. Maybe not an essential record in this era of easy slicing and dicing but several essential tracks on there.

Thanks partially to a number of recommendations on this board, I have really warmed to the Beach Boys, particularly the very early stuff. But Pacific Ocean Blue speaks more directly and powerfully to me than almost any of their stuff -- it has just enough of the harmonies and studio wizardry, but has that sort of David Crosby psychedelic shaman quality with streaks of madness and melancholy. It's like Pink Floyd with an infinitely more personal approach. J stole a good deal of his act from this album.

Right now, Walter Jackson - My Ship Is Comin' In. Sorry, it's vastly superior to the Walker Brothers version.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'd forgotten how good the Spectrum album is. The record is getting its first play in years.

What could I do but care.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

download.jpg
download.jpg (8.97 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
Bad Religion - Christmas Songs.

This is my favourite festive 'record' this year.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

As beautiful as a sleepy snowfall on a crisp winter's day.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

After presents and a nice walk we returned to cooking, drinking and chatting. These were some of the records we played throughout the day and into the evening. A nice soundtrack to Christmas.

Crosby Stills & Nash - s/t
Stephen Stills - 2
Shuggie Otis - Here Comes Shuggie
Al Kooper & Shuggie Otis - Super Session
Michael Head & The Strands
Shack - Waterpistol
Levitt & McClure - Living In The Country
John Lennon - Imagine
Paul Weller - Wild Wood
Ron Elliott - Candlestick Maker
Blues Magoos - Gulf Coast Bound
Neil Young - Harvest
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Guns 'n' Roses - November Rain

(I'll get me coat :lol: )
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Broadcast - Haha Sound
What an album, such a shame she's gone...too young. :(
Pdcajn
New user

Post by Pdcajn »

White light / white heat
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Going through some of the vinyl I got for Xmas while packing for the imminent move on Friday:-

Matthew E White - Big Inner
Can totally see why my local record store gave this pride of place in their end of year list....a wonderful sounding album.

Follakzoid - II
Only played this once but can already tell it's going to be one of my faves of 2013. Extra gutted now that I had to leave their set at ATP just after it started with a 24 hour bug :(

Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare
I can see what all the fuss is now...have spun this 3 or 4 times since Xmas day and it gets better and better. I especially love the track that is very similar to Neil Young's "Dangerbird".

Endless Boogie - Long Island
This fucking rocks!!! 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

GYBE- F#A#
Carlton Melton- Country Ways
Bob Dylan- Tempest
Shinesalight wrote: Follakzoid - II
Only played this once but can already tell it's going to be one of my faves of 2013. Extra gutted now that I had to leave their set at ATP just after it started with a 24 hour bug :(
it was a cracking set!! one of the sets of weekend for sure.
I wouldn't worry though, I would put money on them playing Brighton or London sometime soon.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

england getting whipped by the aussies.

angelsighs- enjoy tempest! it's a brilliant album
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Dr wrote:angelsighs- enjoy tempest! it's a brilliant album
it's definitely a good album. needs editing a bit though- some songs certainly need cutting down, and the title track does drag on a bit- it just goes on for far too long, with no variation. almost robotic.
some great songs on there though- I really like Duquesne Whistle, Long & Wasted Years, Scarlet Town and Narrow Way. infact I would say that the first half of the album is much stronger than the second half. I really like the sound his band of recent years - interlocking, simple parts and it's all got a retro, old timey feel. feel like I should grow a pencil moustache and wear a suit :)

runaway- what Chameleons album is that? a live recording?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

angelsighs wrote:
Here Today...Gone Tomorrow. Excellent compilation with rare tracks (the gorgeous Sally) and working demos of songs that later appeared on studio albums. Highly recommended if you can find it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runaway wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
Here Today...Gone Tomorrow. Excellent compilation with rare tracks (the gorgeous Sally) and working demos of songs that later appeared on studio albums. Highly recommended if you can find it.
thanks.. will hunt it down!
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

in the meantime-

jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:
it's definitely a good album. needs editing a bit though- some songs certainly need cutting down, and the title track does drag on a bit- it just goes on for far too long, with no variation. almost robotic.
some great songs on there though- I really like Duquesne Whistle, Long & Wasted Years, Scarlet Town and Narrow Way. infact I would say that the first half of the album is much stronger than the second half. I really like the sound his band of recent years - interlocking, simple parts and it's all got a retro, old timey feel. feel like I should grow a pencil moustache and wear a suit :)
I also quite like Soon After Midnight, Pay In Blood, and Tin Angel.

Like most of Bob's albums Tempest is a mixed bag, but definitely worth listening to. He really nailed the production in this one -- atmospheric and swampy, but with punch. For instance, that perfect first 20 seconds of Duquesne Whistle.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
I also quite like Soon After Midnight, Pay In Blood, and Tin Angel.

Like most of Bob's albums Tempest is a mixed bag, but definitely worth listening to. He really nailed the production in this one -- atmospheric and swampy, but with punch. For instance, that perfect first 20 seconds of Duquesne Whistle.
yeah Soon After Midnight is another good one! also love the intro to Duequesne Whistle! it's really evocative, like something you would hear as you turn on the wireless in the 30's

I know it's no one's favourite Dylan album, but I really like the production on Together Through Life.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Grateful Dead - Dicks Picks 22 ....its a clonker!
The Blues Project - Live at the Cafe a Go Go
HP Lovecraft - Live 1968
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Had a mildly expensive vinyl splurge today, but am very happy all things considered. In a shop full of utter dross I picked up a really nice, official copy of Kraftwerk an official release of the two albums put out in Germany as Kraftwerk 1 and 2. In good condition, I have seen it going for insane prices on discogs so was very pleased. Any I have seen before in decent condition are bootlegs. Before I managed to get out of the shop, the bloke behind the counter asked if I wanted a copy of the UK version of the Ralf and Florian. He gave me a hefty discount for taking the two :D . Both are on Vertigo and appear to be first pressings and are in wonderful nick considering their age.

Have downed a large quantity of Sauvignon Blanc while listening to both this evening....bliss.

EDIT: sorry about the pictures. They show on my home PC, but not on my work computer, or evidently on anyone elses. :(
Last edited by olan on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spunder wrote:Grateful Dead - Dicks Picks 22 ....its a clonker!
HP Lovecraft - Live 1968
All three of these are great! I highly recommend HP Lovecraft's two studio albums too. After their very psychedelic second LP they had a line-up change and recorded an album simply as "Lovecraft". This record is relatively easy to find and shouldn't cost more than $10. Sound wise though it isn't as garage nor psych as the first two and leans more towards West Coast hippie/commune rock with religious connotations. I don't mind the religious imagery in the lyrics though as it is still very hippie and doesn't ever get holier than thou or preachy.

The Dead in '68 were reaching the apex of their acid scorching phase. '69 is still very trippy but by then the jams became longer and more relaxed. It's as if '68 is the peak and '69 the come down to their trip.

Olan, can't see the images of the LP's you got. Can you edit and re-post?
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

just arrived in the post so not so much now but about to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uugc_-McxlU
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

redcloud wrote:
spunder wrote:Grateful Dead - Dicks Picks 22 ....its a clonker!
HP Lovecraft - Live 1968
All three of these are great! I highly recommend HP Lovecraft's two studio albums too. After their very psychedelic second LP they had a line-up change and recorded an album simply as "Lovecraft". This record is relatively easy to find and shouldn't cost more than $10. Sound wise though it isn't as garage nor psych as the first two and leans more towards West Coast hippie/commune rock with religious connotations. I don't mind the religious imagery in the lyrics though as it is still very hippie and doesn't ever get holier than thou or preachy.

The Dead in '68 were reaching the apex of their acid scorching phase. '69 is still very trippy but by then the jams became longer and more relaxed. It's as if '68 is the peak and '69 the come down to their trip.

Olan, can't see the images of the LP's you got. Can you edit and re-post?
ta yes they are great! really loving the Deads '68 period, its pretty intense , some great double drumming on that set. HP Lovecraft also tops, cant understand why they werent bigger, they had that archetypal 60's psychedelic sound and imagery really pinned down ....

have also fallen head over heels for Big Brother and the Holding Company, who for some reason i never really investigated before.... laying my hands on anything i can get, the Lost Tapes set is sounds amazing in the absence of me locating their first couple of albums in mono :(

does anyone know what the 2 Janis-less albums sound like?
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spunder wrote: ta yes they are great! really loving the Deads '68 period, its pretty intense , some great double drumming on that set. HP Lovecraft also tops, cant understand why they werent bigger, they had that archetypal 60's psychedelic sound and imagery really pinned down ....

have also fallen head over heels for Big Brother and the Holding Company, who for some reason i never really investigated before.... laying my hands on anything i can get, the Lost Tapes set is sounds amazing in the absence of me locating their first couple of albums in mono :(

I have a mono copy of the 1st Big Brother album, whihc I am inclined to say is better than the stereo. Also, there is a copy of the 1st that includes "Coo Coo" (not sure if it is Mainstram or Columbia pressing)...I have only seen it once at a friends long ago. I recorded a copy of it but haven't seen it since. I would expect, however, the stereo version of "Cheap Thrills" would be superior to the mono?

I also have both "How Hard It Is" and "Be A Brother"...neither are worth spending much on. If you see them for $5 then pick them up but don't bust a guy looking for them and certainly don't fork out bit $. The latter version of the band has Nick Gravenites singing so is more bluesy.

If you are getting into West Coast/SF acid rock certainly check out Country Joe & The Fish. Their 1st two albums are superb as are the early EP's and I have some live stuff too that is great. Sadly though, there isn't much live Fish between '66-68.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

redcloud wrote:
spunder wrote: ta yes they are great! really loving the Deads '68 period, its pretty intense , some great double drumming on that set. HP Lovecraft also tops, cant understand why they werent bigger, they had that archetypal 60's psychedelic sound and imagery really pinned down ....

I have a mono copy of the 1st Big Brother album, whihc I am inclined to say is better than the stereo. Also, there is a copy of the 1st that includes "Coo Coo" (not sure if it is Mainstram or Columbia pressing)...I have only seen it once at a friends long ago. I recorded a copy of it but haven't seen it since. I would expect, however, the stereo version of "Cheap Thrills" would be superior to the mono?

I also have both "How Hard It Is" and "Be A Brother"...neither are worth spending much on. If you see them for $5 then pick them up but don't bust a guy looking for them and certainly don't fork out bit $. The latter version of the band has Nick Gravenites singing so is more bluesy.

If you are getting into West Coast/SF acid rock certainly check out Country Joe & The Fish. Their 1st two albums are superb as are the early EP's and I have some live stuff too that is great. Sadly though, there isn't much live Fish between '66-68.
yup i'm a bit of a monophile and i have been tracking down all sorts of monos, can usually find a rip on the 'netz if its unavailable to buy easily but have had issues with these 2, i suspect the first album will sound miles more punchy, the stereo seperation is too much, especially through headphones. i'm having a big revisit of west coast acid music, so yes already have County Joe and the Fish material, enjoying the recent mono reisssues of the first 2 elpees. it is a shame there arent more live boots, i have the Fillmore '69 album and 4 tracks from Monterey Pop....

you might be interested in this blog if you arent already aware!
http://www.profstoned.blogspot.co.uk/
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spunder wrote: already have County Joe and the Fish material, enjoying the recent mono reisssues of the first 2 elpees. it is a shame there arent more live boots, i have the Fillmore '69 album and 4 tracks from Monterey Pop....
I have some rare live CJ&The Fish from '67-68. Not much but what I have is very good. Also, unlike the Dead or Airplane or even Quicksilver (to an extent) the Fish recordings are nowhere near as high quality audience or soundboard (nor do they have the hardcore fans (Dead) spending hours tweaking with programs like Audacity etc.). But, they are rare and hard to come by so, one has to take what one can get. I also have some good live Grape and can share if interested.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Having a dabble with Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and The Orb. Both acts I have never really listened to, so giving these pair a whirl.

Also the album by a band called Chatham Rise which is sublime. Sounds like a cross between early Verve and Slowdive
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Also the album by a band called Chatham Rise which is sublime. Sounds like a cross between early Verve and Slowdive
I ordered an album back in the summer and the label also put out Chatham Rise so they included a freebie of their EP in my order. I need to listen to it again but I remember one song that was long and dreamy. Last time I saw it though my son nicked it and it was amongst his CD's. :D
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Spooky, thats how I got hold of mine, I bought the new First Communion Afterparty LP from the states and the guy emailed from the label thanking me and enclosed an mp3 of the Chatham Rise album. I really like it, really blissed out, reminds me of Transient waves with vocals
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Spooky, thats how I got hold of mine, I bought the new First Communion Afterparty LP from the states and the guy emailed from the label thanking me and enclosed an mp3 of the Chatham Rise album.
Picture In My Ear label? I picked up the Volta Sound "Gypsy Friends of the Sun" LP from them and they added Chatham Rise EP with it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Tomorrow - s/t
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Orange Can - Home Burns
Orange Can - Exit Chasing
Orange Can - Entrance High Rise

Man, I love this band so much.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Daniel Avery mix
a nice mix that members of this board might appreciate

http://www.whitelightmixes.com/mixes/wh ... iel-avery/

Black Acid – Glitter In The Gutter
Spectrum Meets Captain Memphis – Hey Man
Charlotte Gainsbourg – Anna (Tom Furse Remix)
Fuxa – Our Lips Are Sealed
Porcelain Raft – Drifting In and Out
The Early Years – Complicity
The Chemical Brothers – K+D+B
Jagwar Ma – Come Save Me (12″ Version)
Japancakes – Touched (Ricardo Tobar Mix)
A Sunny Day In Glasgow – No. 6 Von Karmen Street
Blanck Mass – Weakling Flier
Severed Heads – We Have Come To Bless This House (New Beat Version)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Kingdom (1970)

Pretty decent hard rock album from '70.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Volta Sound - Cuts.
Impossible to find album, now available to download on high quality from Mike Cormier. Can't recommend this enough. You can have it free if so desire but I gave the guy some $$ as the music is more than worth it. Check it out:
http://shutupmike.bandcamp.com/album/cuts-2001-2004
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:The Volta Sound - Cuts.
Impossible to find album, now available to download on high quality from Mike Cormier. Can't recommend this enough. You can have it free if so desire but I gave the guy some $$ as the music is more than worth it. Check it out:
Agreed on all of the above. "Cuts" was a limited Ed. album and VERY few were ever pressed. Chances are you will not find the official release and if you do - it will be expensive. This is easily one of the best collections of early VS and highly recommended. Many of these songs would either be re-recorded or they just sat in the vaults. This is your chance to grab one of the best albums released this decade. Big hype but I love this band and I honestly think it deserves the praise. But, do the right thing and donate some money.
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

runcible wrote:The Volta Sound - Cuts.
I agree on this. I have one of the originals and always loved Take Me There off of this. Unfortunately, I only got to see these guys live once but it was a great show opening for Sonic in Cleveland back in November 2001.
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Decemberists
Hazards of love
And Davey Graham
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Mogwai: Rave Tapes

Quite enjoying this so far. There are some trouser-flapping, bowel-quaking :shock: bass moments which always appeal to a sad old git like me.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ah, Olan. You're killing me. Can't wait to get mine. Hopefully it'll arrive soon, but I'm guessing not until next week.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

verve - Glastonbury 2008
Sounded pretty awesome this morning tbf. Even the twatty Ashcroft ballads sound massive. There's some moments where McCabe really shines....he gets away with some filthy evil noises at some points
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

olan wrote:Mogwai: Rave Tapes

Quite enjoying this so far. There are some trouser-flapping, bowel-quaking :shock: bass moments which always appeal to a sad old git like me.
looking forward to it's arrival quite a bit now- i hope it's soon!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Have listened to Rave Tapes twice now. First up was a rip of the CD through the little streamer in the kitchen (My wife was watching something on reality TV in the room with the proper hi fi :evil: ). Really enjoyed it.

I then played the vinyl LP through the main system after the coast was clear. The synthetic bass tones and drones are really, really excellent. I'm pretty impressed with this on first impression but need to give it several more plays. Repelish is phenomenal though. Fantastic nutty found voice talking about Satanic Messages on Led Zeplin records and magnificent droning tune with proper window-rattling bass. I was worried it would be overproduced/too clean a la Mr Beast, but that is not the case.

Oh, and I got a really nice t-shirt too (XL thank God) which I know I didn't order. It fits me too which is a surprise as most t-shirts I have bought recently do nowt for my moobs...... :roll:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hedspace wrote:Daniel Avery mix
a nice mix that members of this board might appreciate

http://www.whitelightmixes.com/mixes/wh ... iel-avery/

Black Acid – Glitter In The Gutter
Spectrum Meets Captain Memphis – Hey Man
Charlotte Gainsbourg – Anna (Tom Furse Remix)
Fuxa – Our Lips Are Sealed
Porcelain Raft – Drifting In and Out
The Early Years – Complicity
The Chemical Brothers – K+D+B
Jagwar Ma – Come Save Me (12″ Version)
Japancakes – Touched (Ricardo Tobar Mix)
A Sunny Day In Glasgow – No. 6 Von Karmen Street
Blanck Mass – Weakling Flier
Severed Heads – We Have Come To Bless This House (New Beat Version)
Thanks for this - this sound ace, look forward to listening later! 8)
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

East India Youth- Total Strife Forever,
Mogwai- Rave Tapes,
1st one I am surprisingly loving , and the 2nd ,well its good , but revealing its self slowly, not really a bad thing,see how it goes but I`m sure I liked HCWNDBYW much more on 1st/early listens,
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote:East India Youth- Total Strife Forever,
Mogwai- Rave Tapes,
1st one I am surprisingly loving , and the 2nd ,well its good , but revealing its self slowly, not really a bad thing,see how it goes but I`m sure I liked HCWNDBYW much more on 1st/early listens,
I am having the same experience with Rave tapes. Some of the tunes are wonderful, but the album as a whole is a bit one-paced compared to 'Hardcore' for example. Having said this, I'm really enjoying it.

Current listening centers around he Can box set released on Mute before Xmas, Rave Tapes and the Mark Lanegan retrospective. The Can box set continues to be a thing of beauty as we work our way though it, and is well worth the enormous price we paid for it.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Raven - Back to Ohio Blues

A friend sent me this and it's been on my stereo for the past few days. Recorded in 1975 and privately pressed - this is a pretty scuzzy, junked out album. The grooves in the record are almost like nasty track marks and greasy fingernails. Similar to George Brigman's "Jungle Rot" or The Stooges but without the snotty teenage snarl and glue huffin' punkiness. I dig it.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

a lot of stuff today-

west coast pop art experimental band- 'a child's guide to good & evil'
mazzy star- 'seasons of your day'
grouper- 'wide'
vestals- 'forever falling towards the sky'

and in anticipation of the arrival of my copy of 'rave tapes' (which came very unexpectedly today since it's a holiday) a ton of mogwai including-

'the hawk is howling'
'music for a forgotten future' (i think that's what it's called- the 23 minute long ambient track that came with HCWNDBYW)
'burning'
and, of course, 'rave tapes' which i'm incredibly happy with- it took me a long time to come around to HCWNDBYW, but this one i loved immediately. it came on green vinyl too, which i didn't expect (i thought it would be pink for some reason) and a die-cut cover- very nice!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Hurricane Heart Attacks- Hurricane Love CD. Clearly influenced by BJM style bands but really well done. From Buenos Aires. Who dosed the drinking water in South America? Some great bands coming from there.
Gene Clark- Here Tonight/The White Light demos RDS Lp. Wow! This record is really fucking good.
Lush- Gala. Thanks to reading the 4AD book. I always had a soft spot for Lush. They never got the adulation that say Slowdive did but they were a great band for a few records.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Mount Eerie - Clear Moon/Ocean Roar (Japanese import double CD)
Intense.