What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

redcloud
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by redcloud »

The Fraternity of Man-s/t

What a bunch of stoners these guys were. Not great musicians by any stretch but still somewhat entertaining LP of white boy, stoned hippie, jugband blues.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Courtney Barnett - The Double EP - A Sea of Split Peas
Grateful Dead - May 14, 1974, Adams Field House, Montana
...and as a result of a recent discussion a lot of Crass.

Odd combo but there you go.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote: Lush- Gala. Thanks to reading the 4AD book. I always had a soft spot for Lush. They never got the adulation that say Slowdive did but they were a great band for a few records.
i love 'split' and still listen to that one pretty regularly. 'spooky' was the one i listened to the most when i first got into them and that one's held up pretty well too. 'gala' was almost too much for me to handle- i had to split it up into the EPs that it drew from.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It seems like a lifetime since I posted on here. After a month of Christmas, my son's first birthday, moving house, my fiancé going back to work after a year's maternity leave, me having a leg operation to remove a metal rod and planning for our wedding in April I'm pleased to just sit back for a bit and listen to some vinyl through the new Q Acoustics speakers which I treated myself to for all this upheaval :wink: Unpacking and re-organising my vinyl made me realise how much I bought last year and how little time I've had to listen to it. Anyway, it's not going anywhere so, I guess, there's still plenty of time. Over the last couple f days I've had the pleasure of listening to:-

Slowdive - Pygmalion
Mathew E White - Big Inner
Hills - Master Sleeps
Mogwai - Rave Tapes
Carlton Melton - Always Even
Wooden Shjips - Back To Land

Good times :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

lots of John Martyn (Solid Air deluxe reissue and Inside Out)
lots of Doves (Lost Sides, Kingdom of Rust..)
Pil- Metal Box
Diagonal- s/t (prog is not a dirty word!)
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

13th Floor Elevators session
recently put up on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNF1Nr-_UmE
Heavy Tourism
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Too much "psych"......
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Panda Bear- Tomboy
is it just me, or is this not a patch on Person Pitch? all the wonderful layers and textures of that record seem to have gone out of the window and these songs are mainly just those stacked, chanting vocals. it's all a bit samey.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

cocteau twins marathon yesterday and today- 'blue bell knoll,' 'heaven or las vegas,' a bunch of singles, 'treasure' and finishing up with 'victorialand'
angelsighs wrote:Panda Bear- Tomboy
is it just me, or is this not a patch on Person Pitch? all the wonderful layers and textures of that record seem to have gone out of the window and these songs are mainly just those stacked, chanting vocals. it's all a bit samey.
it's not just you. the songs are nowhere near as strong as on 'person pitch.' i like 'scheherezade,' though.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

The music actually makes me vaguely nauseous. Seriously. I can't listen to that album for long.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:Pil- Metal Box
Great LP! I listened to it the other night for the first time in a couple of years. Inspired by a book on PiL called 'Metal Box: Stories from John Lydon's PiL' by Phil Strongman. Also listened to a tape of the April 20th 1980 gig from New York that night.

Currently listening to Slowdive playing the Coffee Lounge at Reading University Student Union on 26th February 1991 largely inspired by their reunion. I was studying at Reading at the time and did the lights for this (and 2 other Slowdive shows at Reading Uni). I didn't have grey hair and a fat gut at the time.....unlike now :(
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Lots of love here for Metal Box too. I've been playing PiL's "Album" a lot recently, and it's an excellent listen too.

"BLACK RUBBER BAG, BLACK RUBBER BAG..."
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
angelsighs wrote:Pil- Metal Box
Great LP! I listened to it the other night for the first time in a couple of years. Inspired by a book on PiL called 'Metal Box: Stories from John Lydon's PiL' by Phil Strongman. Also listened to a tape of the April 20th 1980 gig from New York that night.
it had been a while since I'd listened to Metal Box too.. it was actually sounding better than ever!
I can't decide whether this or the first album is better- both classics.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

agreed!

i was listening to Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages version of 'good golly miss molly' last night....Carlo Littles drumming on this is insane..
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

Can't stop listening to this excellent Spacemen bootleg Mercia Park Leisure Centre Coventry - 27.11.1985
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Triffids- Calenture
The Triffids- Black Swan
Courtney Barnett- The Double EP - A Sea of Split Peas
The Saints- I'm Stranded
Lots of Aussie stuff. Where it is warm.
&
V/a 4AD- Lilliput As I read the new 4AD book.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Its Galaxie 500 a go go in this house tonight.
As many live versions of Don't Let Our Youth Go To Waste as i can find.
Heavy Tourism
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt (disc 2 of the wonderful Texas Troubadour compilation)
http://youtu.be/h6JG-yE8UTw
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Sigur Ros Montreux Jazz Festival, Switzerland 13 July 2001. Phenomenal quality ROIO. Just the thing to listen to while making breakfast for the kids.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm at work right now, so listening to the cure greatest hits. Don't wanna scare my colleagues with anything too much, yunno?
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

rockers hi -fi

sunday dub
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

It's insane how stuck in my head this song has been for the past week. I've been listening to pretty much only it, I'm not sure why it just feels perfect right now. So soothing, still feels "uncertain" somehow but like everything is okay. After 10-ish days of 30-50 deg. weather, it's snowing like crazy in Cambridge again, and this feels perfect.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

GSYBE- Mladic, blows the cobwebs well away!!! shame it cant be said the same about this cold :(
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Spain - The Morning Becomes Eclectic Session

Great session from this hugely under-rated band. Finishes off with a goose-bump inducing version of Spiritual.

shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

transferring a lot of stuff to a back-up drive. in the process i found a bunch of tom waits stuff on there that i thought was gone. i've been listening to 'alice' a lot for the past couple of days.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Mighty Baby - s/t (1969)

One of my faves! So, so good.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Holy Wave
Relax

on runcibles recommendation in the gigs section....thanks

I love the nod to "we sell soul" on the new albums opening track. cracking dense garage, dare I say it psyche and what an excellent album cover
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

^^^^ I like the sound of these guys (Holy Wave). Very '66 garage, surf. Elavators'ish but I also hear an early Black Angels vibe from the two songs I have heard. I would go see them if they played Portland.

Have to say, given Ricky Maymi's rant about music, the Austin Psych Fest and underground Chinese bands, I find it somewhat ironic that these guys, Holy Wave, are on the KME label. In fact, look at the bands represented on the label. Are they not exactly what he was criticizing? I know the label is run by Campanella but still, as a member of BJM he has a connection to the label and the bands it promotes.
spaceout
Known user

Post by spaceout »

Boris performing 'Flood' live in Tokyo, 2012 with Michio Kurihara (Ghost).

An official recording (FLAC).
Perfect quality, insanely loud & trippy. Rewarding.

For those good relaxing times...make it a "Boris" time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91bDvTPKIU
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

spaceout wrote:Boris performing 'Flood' live in Tokyo, 2012 with Michio Kurihara (Ghost).

An official recording (FLAC).
Perfect quality, insanely loud & trippy. Rewarding.

For those good relaxing times...make it a "Boris" time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91bDvTPKIU
Where can this be purchased?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spaceout
Known user

Post by spaceout »

It was only available during their tour.

From Discogs or eBay, I guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Boris-Perf ... 5d492e415b
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Holy Wave for me too after posting about them in the gigs section. Really enjoying the Relax album stream that can be found online, epsecially the track Night Tripper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHgHdIsSi8Q . Seeing them on Sunday night at my local, should be a mighty fine end to the weekend.

I've been digging out Primal Scream as well this week, playing Evil Heat quite a lot, plus Live In Japan. Quite an underrated album, Evil Heat. The opender Deep Hit Of Morning Sun is such a great song. I've not played it much at all over the years but it feels good to be hearing the whole album again. White hot gigs around that time too.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

johnnyboy wrote:Holy Wave for me too after posting about them in the gigs section. Really enjoying the Relax album stream that can be found online, epsecially the track Night Tripper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHgHdIsSi8Q . Seeing them on Sunday night at my local, should be a mighty fine end to the weekend.

I've been digging out Primal Scream as well this week, playing Evil Heat quite a lot, plus Live In Japan. Quite an underrated album, Evil Heat. The opender Deep Hit Of Morning Sun is such a great song. I've not played it much at all over the years but it feels good to be hearing the whole album again. White hot gigs around that time too.
That Night Tripper track is pretty good, album does sound like fine stuff, ,

Been listening to East India Youth album a lot, one guy doing electronic/keyboard with a bass slung round his neck & some vocals on maybe half the tracks , really good,

Cheatahs-s/t , this is a funny one, new band to me but been releasing EP`s for a year or so, sounds like Dinosaur J., Ride, MDV, Swervedriver, kinda thing, their late 20`s , so kinda strange to hear all these early 90`s moves and sounds pretty much perfect, a Creation Records sound should appeal to the Shoegazers, not too bad actually

runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Completely snowed in up here. Kids out sledding, my wife is baking and in between shoveling snow I am totally immersed in all things Mighty Baby. Simply majestic.

plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Rubble vol four
the 49 Minute Technicolour Dream

to be followed by vol seven
Pictures in the Sky
Heavy Tourism
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Spacemen 3 - Losing Touch With Your Mind (marble splatter vinyl)
The Charlatans S/T double vinyl LP

Picked these up from a dealer that lived round the corner from where I used to live and never knew he was there till I moved away. Probably a good thing really, though, saying that, he mainly stocked dance stuff so I probably wouldn't have blown my wages in there every week :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wow, the s/t Charlatans vinyl is not an easy one to find. I lucked out and snagged a copy of Up To Our Hips for a reasonable price from a U.S. seller, but it seems like the only time I ever see the self-titled one is from Japanese sellers who want $50+ $20 shipping.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It was a bit of a lucky find to be honest, Paul....I picked up those two LP's above for £25 for the pair (plus I didn't have to pay postage as I collected them personally) :D The Charlatans cover was a bit worn round the edges with a bit of ring wear but the records play well. I've still got "Up to Our Hips" on my wish list.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Jumping on the Holy Wave train - only listened to Relax so far (Evil Hits on the way) - great stuff!!!! If only it were summer right now...

One of those bands that I would probably have never heard about if it weren't for this board, THANK YOU ALL.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My Evil Hits arrived yesterday and sounded pretty good last night.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

off the back of the Mississippi Space Program mention, something for the morning commute.his vocal took a bit of getting used to but nice all the same for a couple of spins

Porcelain Raft
Album: Permanent Signal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jZJ4aXfQGg
jwilder
Known user

Post by jwilder »

Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program: http://pitchfork.com/news/53934-listen- ... idge-song/

Cool lyrics.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

James Brown : Hot Pants vinyl rip.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Soft Parade - Puur
Dutch psych band from the early nineties. Played this to death when I bought it, haven't heard it in probably ten years and really digging it again right now ;). It's produced by Dave A. Stewart of Euryrthmics fame no less. Don't know if that's a recommendation :lol:
Last edited by beaker73 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote:James Brown : Hot Pants vinyl rip.
Fantastic album... and a fantastic rip! :wink:

I miss my copy of the original Polydor UK release - I played that one endlessly around 1997/8/9...
O P 8
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

elliott smith- 'cupid's trick'

i'm making a valentine's day mix. the aim is for it to be a bit of a bummer as well- all songs about loneliness or sex (or both). even though my single years are way behind me, i remember what a drag it was to be alone on valentine's day (regardless of the knowledge that it's a sham holiday). plus i have a role-call of experiences working in restaurants on valentine's day to keep the fires of hatred burning nice and strong.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

shalloboi wrote:elliott smith- 'cupid's trick'

i'm making a valentine's day mix. the aim is for it to be a bit of a bummer as well- all songs about loneliness or sex (or both). even though my single years are way behind me, i remember what a drag it was to be alone on valentine's day (regardless of the knowledge that it's a sham holiday). plus i have a role-call of experiences working in restaurants on valentine's day to keep the fires of hatred burning nice and strong.
Just give them a copy of any Arab Strap album... :lol: that should cover all the bases...
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I've just ordered the latest album by Alcest, based on this track with Neil Halstead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ57uBx68N8

Great tune!

Ste
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

New THEE OH SEES!! http://www.stereogum.com/1664742/thee-o ... -eye/mp3s/

New album "Drop" drops on my birthday, RSD.

Some crazy sounds going on. Big riff, wailing electronics and some la-la-la's. Business as usual in the land of Thee Oh Sees and so much for that much needed hiatus of theirs. Love 'em.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Laz69 wrote:
shalloboi wrote:elliott smith- 'cupid's trick'

Just give them a copy of any Arab Strap album... :lol: that should cover all the bases...
'cherubs' is the first track! :lol:
spaceout
Known user

Post by spaceout »

The singer Mikko Joensuu, from the Finnish psychedelic rock-trio Joensuu 1685 (which is most likely now extinct) released his first solo track from the upcoming debut EP.

Gospel, Spacemen 3, Kraut, whatnot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xb4fUE_Wco
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Spread Your Wings from the LA Show on 14 February. Superb stuff.....
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

olan wrote:Spread Your Wings from the LA Show on 14 February. Superb stuff.....
Shaun you reading this? Better late than never huh... :shock:
O P 8
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Pink Floyd - Pow R. Toc H.
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've been listening to the various bits and pieces posted on Bandcamp by a Kiwi band called Sora Shima. In places their music reminds me of Mogwai, Dif Juz and Explosions in the Sky (amongst others). It is largely instrumental stuff, with some really nice drones and interesting feedback manipulations. Their first album called 'You are Surrounded has just downloaded and is beginning to play in the background now.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Misty in Roots
Album: Live at the Counter Eurovision '79

irie
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

olan wrote:I've been listening to the various bits and pieces posted on Bandcamp by a Kiwi band called Sora Shima. In places their music reminds me of Mogwai, Dif Juz and Explosions in the Sky (amongst others). It is largely instrumental stuff, with some really nice drones and interesting feedback manipulations. Their first album called 'You are Surrounded has just downloaded and is beginning to play in the background now.
Thanks for the heads up - I just downloaded this and I'm impressed after the first listen. Very reminiscent of early Mogwai in places, but it sounds different enough to be considered much more than homage/pastiche. Great stuff :)
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:
olan wrote:I've been listening to the various bits and pieces posted on Bandcamp by a Kiwi band called Sora Shima. In places their music reminds me of Mogwai, Dif Juz and Explosions in the Sky (amongst others). It is largely instrumental stuff, with some really nice drones and interesting feedback manipulations. Their first album called 'You are Surrounded has just downloaded and is beginning to play in the background now.
Thanks for the heads up - I just downloaded this and I'm impressed after the first listen. Very reminiscent of early Mogwai in places, but it sounds different enough to be considered much more than homage/pastiche. Great stuff :)
yep liking this myself too.. nothing hugely original but it is right in my ballpark! there's a tranquility about it even in the rockier bits.. and I do like the feedback bit at the end of the first track
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I've never exactly been a fan, but I'm finding myself enjoying Beck's Morning Phase very much. I usually find him really hit and miss, but he's good when he goes downtempo and more mellow. I really liked his cover of John Martyn's Stormbringer and a lot of Morning Phase is in a similar vein.

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/16/274773496 ... ning-phase
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Bong - Across The Timestream
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

been checking out the s/t album by Dino Valente. I know him as the sometimes singer of Quicksilver Messenger Service. here he's more in folk troubadour mode.. quite 60's sounding. I am enjoying it.. this fella can sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIbcyYXFfXE
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:
mc wrote:
yep liking this myself too.. nothing hugely original but it is right in my ballpark! there's a tranquility about it even in the rockier bits.. and I do like the feedback bit at the end of the first track
To be very honest, the album is the least interesting of their efforts IMHO. The early stuff which is really just a bunch of portastudio feedback manipulations is far more interesting/original. I do really enjoy the bass guitar and drum sounds on this album. I'm a sucker for brooding, descending, basslines and sparse tribal drumming.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Sounds promising - I've downloaded the other EPs but not listened to them yet - I will do so soon!

The album essentially sounds like a lost Mogwai album. The bass in particular sounds like it's taken straight from "Young Team". Not very original, but enjoyable all the same. Thanks again!