Slowdive

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

Slowdive

Post by James T »

https://twitter.com/slowdiveband

A twitter account made, mysterious tweets from a couple of members on their own twitter accounts. There seems to be a countdown going on over on Rachel's feed. Primavera line-up gets accounted end of this month? Are we getting it finally? Couples with the comments from Mr McGee a couple of months back....
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Slowdive

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm not naming my source, but I know the live reunion is happening and I've been told it's just going to be a handful of festival appearances. Of course, maybe that will change.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Fuck festivals. That's what McGee must have meant by large venues then
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, you never know ... maybe they'll do some low-key warm up dates or possibly expand the tour if things go really well.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Not that would help you or I out, as we are the statesm I do hope its more than what you heard
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

exciting! it's gotta be the reunion hasn't it?

it's pretty lame if they are just doing festival dates. I'm not going to a festival just to see them!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It may just make me take out a credit card to get to primavera. Loop and Slowdove on the same weekend can't be overlooked.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Festivals?

I fucking hope not. Their stuff never translated well to that kind gig.

I was over the moon about this as well.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'd like to hope that if they play Primavera (looks certain to me) they will get to do a set in the Auditori. That is one of my favourite venues anywhere, seen some great stuff there like The New Year, Low, Josh T Pearson, Jeff Mangum, and the tribute to Camarón.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Like the Loop reunion I'd have to ask, would there be that much interest in this?

I was a fan, and they're one of a handful of bands from that era that I never got to see, but I wouldn't be excited by the prospect of them returning. In saying that I would go check 'em out if they played an indoor Dublin gig but Slowdive and festivals sounds like a disastrous combination to me.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I think there would be a lot of interest and, speaking as an American, much more than Loop generated.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It's generated a real buzz online! I'd always have thought this would generate more interest than Loop, plenty of people love Slowdive who have never even heard Loop. That said, I don't think there would be enough interest to support more than a reasonably small tour in Europe. America I don't know but I'd expect them to be able to do a similar run to Loop in slightly bigger venues.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I don't reckon it will be world conquering but I reckon it will generate a decent amount of interest. there does seem to be a reasonable amount of chatter on the net about it.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

maybe slightly off topic, but can anyone commend on how the music on vinyl reissues of the slowdive albums sound?
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

They sound great, particularly the first album
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

ok. can anyone tell me why Slowdive's massive sonics would not translate to an open festival atmosphere? i loved them but never had the pleasure of seeing them live at the time. i would have thought it would be perfect for a hazy summer eve...?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I wouldn't want to hear stuff from Pygmalion at a festival outdoors. Stuff like 40 days, alison, when the sun hits, souvlaki space station; that would work for me but I'd still rather it be indoors.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I have the re-released Souvlaki and Pygmalion on vinyl and both sound great. They were released by Music on Vinyl who seem to have a pretty good rep.

I love Slowdive but can't get excited about a re-union for some reason. I don't think I'll bother if it's just festival dates, bit burned on (outdoor) festivals tbh.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:I wouldn't want to hear stuff from Pygmalion at a festival outdoors. Stuff like 40 days, alison, when the sun hits, souvlaki space station; that would work for me but I'd still rather it be indoors.
agree with everything you've said there James. I can't see them playing anything from Pygmalion (they're not stupid! plus most of the band had left by then anyways),

been listening to a fair amount of Slowdive recently, coincidentally. the first album is good, but a bit samey and still in the shadow of influences like Cocteau Twins. reverb that could kill a horse!
Souvlaki is brilliant, much more varied and strong songwriting.
a lot of the best work is on those early EPs though- songs like Avalyn, Morningrise, She Calls.. blimey.. those guitars! those songs sound immense.

a solid setlist from two albums and EP's would be magic.

I would prefer to see them indoors but I think that applies to any band! I cant think of a single band I would prefer to see outside.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think they will have to play at least a little of Pygmalion. I love that LP!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh yeh, great album. but far too minimal for a live set I would have thought?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

nickh wrote:I have the re-released Souvlaki and Pygmalion on vinyl and both sound great. They were released by Music on Vinyl who seem to have a pretty good rep.
MOV usally do good vinyl reissues, but they are not so clear about where they get their masters from. I have a lot of their releases, most of them are great, but some of them sound like cd's put on vinyl (even than in a good way, solid, quiet pressings). So that's why I asked. Thnx for your responses!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

I have several of the MOV stuff, Slowdive and others, it's it is certainly far above average in terms of vinyl reissues. They have a licenseing deal wit h Sony (who have the rights to the creation stuff), ,so they often have access to original masters. I also own most of the Slowdive stuff on original pressings, and I think the MOV stuff is actually better as creation wasn't so concerned with "audiophile" sound and equipment as some vinyl reissues are today. As far as a stateside tour, I have no doubt that they would sell out a 6 to 8 date tour of major cities. Radio city in NYC, no problem if spz can sell it out for ligwafis. Even at $50 per ticket. As far as the prospect of seeing them outside, I would take seeing them in a basement (the middle east) on tequila and brownies any day or night of the week.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

am i the only one here that thinks Pygmalion is well below par? the demos on the recent Cherry Red reissue are much more entertaining imo
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I wouldn't say below bar, just different. I enjoy it a lot regularly.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

spunder wrote:ok. can anyone tell me why Slowdive's massive sonics would not translate to an open festival atmosphere? i loved them but never had the pleasure of seeing them live at the time. i would have thought it would be perfect for a hazy summer eve...?
The sound is never great at festivals and stuff like theirs just ends up sounding sludgy and gets blown all over the place IMO.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Update now on website- Primavera..more to come
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Wow, they're talking about new material. Interesting.

http://thequietus.com/articles/14357-sl ... w-material
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

TheWarmth wrote:Wow, they're talking about new material. Interesting.

http://thequietus.com/articles/14357-sl ... w-material
awesome! that's just what I was hoping this was all about.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yes, I think they have already done something. Sonic Cathedral have been posting mysterious pictures of an vinyl getting pressed saying "but what is it"? Someone commented slowdive and the comment then disappeared..
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

James T wrote:Yes, I think they have already done something. Sonic Cathedral have been posting mysterious pictures of an vinyl getting pressed saying "but what is it"? Someone commented slowdive and the comment then disappeared..
I still see it. And SC replied, "I wish!"
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Oh right, must've been a different one I saw! It's nice to dream.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the Primavera lineup is brilliant! why can't there be a festival even close to that good over here?
I haven't got two pennies to rub together at the moment so hoping Slowdive also do some shows over here that are doable for me...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

6music asked Rachel about new music and she said "definitely"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:6music asked Rachel about new music and she said "definitely"
yayy that's good news. I am hoping they add further UK dates too, on top of the London one.
there is a statement on the bands website here about why they reformed, and saying more dates will be announced in the next few weeks..
http://www.slowdiveofficial.com/uncateg ... -are-back/

t shirts on sale too!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

This is great news. I think I only saw Slowdive once back in the day so would love the chance of seeing them again and, hopefully, seeing them back in the studio working on new material. I reckon there's going to be a new found appreciation for them this time around as, back then, I'm sure they were seen as 2nd tier shoe gaze along with Chapterhouse, riding in the slipstream of the likes of Ride and MBV.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

nickh wrote:
I love Slowdive but can't get excited about a re-union for some reason.
Changed my mind, I have a mate getting on to some tickets tomorrow morning for the Shoreditch show. Everything seems to be in the east end though these days, just saying...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm definitely gonna be trying for tickets tomorrow!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well it seems people are really angry about that whole ticket fiasco. I managed to get some though!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

James T wrote:Well it seems people are really angry about that whole ticket fiasco. I managed to get some though!
Was there a fiasco? I clicked on BUY TICKETS via the ATP site at 9am and got through OK. Pondered paying a pricey £20 for a band who I loved back in the day but only really still like the first two EP's then decided to leave the page. Went back about 9.15am and they were all sold out.

(I was just looking at the Albert Hall site for Cure tickets and thats going bonkers. I think I was 4375th in a queue and tickets were £25-£130 each, so again very pricey. Would be for my girlfriend who's a big fan but still.......)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Mad busy at work and just rememebered at 9.20am, so I missed out.. Arse
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Dash tickets is always like this, it shows you can buy the tickets but when you click to proceed it either makes you register (by which time the show ahs sold out) or you log in with facebook and it empties your basket every time you try to buy!

I used seetickets, I saw it coming.

I got cure tickets yesterday, try ticketmaster they don't use a queue system.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Cheers James, I'll remember that about Dash. They're the link for the next ATP Wooden Shjips gig that's just been announced (3rd June in Camden).

I'll try for Cure tickets elswhere but can imagine tickets many have been snapped up now.

EDIT: yep all sold out http://www.seetickets.com/event/the-cur ... all/766613 but those prices are ridiculous!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah, really expensive! It's my birthday that week so I got other people to pay, fortunately.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I didn't bother trying for tickets, as I can't be bothered traipsing down to London, and also a band is hardly gonna be in peak form in the first gig after 20 years.
I am pretty confident there will be further dates (famous last words!)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

They've said so, but I reckon this will be the smallest on the tour. How many people is the place? 700? Guess it isn't THAT small.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

James T wrote:Yeah, really expensive! It's my birthday that week so I got other people to pay, fortunately.
Nice work sir. Always good to get a birthday treat in the form of a gig ticket.

It's my girlfriends birthday two days after the gig. Would loved to have got her a ticket as she's a fan but all a bit too pricey, and very sold out too.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

That was pyar jokes. Sold out in about a minute and a half, what a crappy site Dash tickets is.

They seemed to be saying there might possibly be another record on their website, which tbh is more exciting to me than these shows.

Will be gutted if I don't get to one though, they really were one of my favourite bands back in the day,
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

http://chicagoist.com/2014/02/14/beck_k ... ilk_ho.php

what a weird lineup- but slowdive is playing on sunday night at pitchfork. now to figure out if it's worth $60 just to see them there... hmmm...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Fuck it. I'm going. I booked my ticket tonight. How could I not go? Tyler, you have to go. You just have to.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so it really does seem they're mainly playing festivals... they have added a fair few dates now but I think literally only that London one is a non-festival.. really hope I get a chance to see them :(
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Slowdive / Loop / Hookworms live in Paris
http://www.last.fm/event/3811880+Villet ... +Hookworms
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:Slowdive / Loop / Hookworms live in Paris
http://www.last.fm/event/3811880+Villet ... +Hookworms

Right, this looks like it is for me. I'm probably going to ignore my usual view on reunions in favour of a weekend in Paris. I thought Loop were quite good at ATP but not loud enough. It has been 20 years since I last saw Slowdive. A day on Cotes du Rhone is probably the way to go..... 8)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Glad to hear it! I'm hoping to make it, but I'm really rather poor right now. An easyjet flight from Liverpool to CDG seems the cheapest way there, and ryanair back to Manchester.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:Glad to hear it! I'm hoping to make it, but I'm really rather poor right now. An easyjet flight from Liverpool to CDG seems the cheapest way there, and ryanair back to Manchester.
Looks like I am in London for work that week, so I might take the train if I can get cheap tickets. I despise Ryanair...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I despise CDG though, so ryanair works out not so bad for Paris.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:I despise CDG though, so ryanair works out not so bad for Paris.
CDG is OK as long as you are not bothered about either making a connection in 2 hours or getting your luggage back (ever), but should be safe with just a backpack. Don't forget that the Ryanair flight is from Beauvais, which is over an hour out of Paris and goes at stupidly awkward times.

I think I might take in Loop and Godflesh on the 5th too. IIRC the second last time I saw Loop (i.e. the time before ATP) they played with Godflesh. My ears have only just stopped ringing too. Godflesh were brutally, punishingly loud......not a bad night out really 8) . This leaves time for an amble over to Paris on the train and several bottles of recovery on the 6th.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I love Beauvais airport, despite it being a slight ballache to get to. Nice bit of grass to sit outside and watch the planes leave with a couple of beers, and it sells amazing cake.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Seriously having a look at this an option. May or may not onvolve the missus and the wee man. Negotiations/arguments to commence this evening.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Unfortunately it looks unlikely I will be able to make it, especially with the mrs. Maybe I can do a 1/2 night stay on a budget; but I've always enjoyed slumming it in the budget Paris hotels.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The 6Music stage on the Friday at this year's Latitude festival is looking pretty tempting with Mogwai, Slowdive and Goat:-

http://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Playing the Electric Picnic at the end of August. Pity that their first ever Irish gig will be at a festival twenty years after they split up but what can you do? I shall be in attendance anyways.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

TheWarmth wrote:Fuck it. I'm going. I booked my ticket tonight. How could I not go? Tyler, you have to go. You just have to.
finally bought my ticket, paul. i'll be flying solo that day, though, so we'll have to meet up and have an overpriced heineken together or something.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Last year they had a Goose Island booth that released unique, small-batch brews every couple of hours with a schedule posted so you could plan out what you wanted to drink. It was pretty awesome. I really enjoyed that.