Lemmy Documentary

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Lemmy Documentary

Post by spzretent »

Not a huge metal fan however this documentary piqued my curiousity.
It did not disappoint. Nor did Lemmy the person. However I am not sure the metal tag fits. I had this discussion with a few others today. Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Motorhead are more hard rock with the latter two embracing the metal imagery.
I now own two Motorhead records. So the documentary worked in that respect.
It did however reinforce what a complete condescending douchebag the lead singer for Metallica is. I had the displeasure of meeting him once in the bar at the Columbia Hotel in London. I also let him know what a condescending asshole he was then. Glad I lived to tell this tale knowing what I know now.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
davedecay
Known user

Re: Lemmy Documentary

Post by davedecay »

what a fun movie.

I loved how he said Little Richard was his favorite.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Lemmy always loved Little Richard - you only need to get him started and he's off about that guy.

I really enjoyed this film too. You can't help but like him as he's incredibly down to earth and unmoved by his legendary status. Also a far more intelligent man than people tend to think. Some scenes - the one with him and his son - were quite moving as he comes across as totally authentic. If you want the real deal on rock and roll this guy is pretty much it.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Yep, not a metal fan at all either but Lemmy does seem a likeable sort of fellow and this is a good film. Loved the part when he was talking to Dave Grohl about Justin (?) from the Darkness!

Can recommend his autobiography too, White Line Fever. Covers pretty much the same ground as the film but also goes into his life growing up and discovering Little Richard and rock n roll.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I liked this film, although felt almost sorry for him, he just seems pretty lonely playing his fruit machines in these shitty, soulless aftershow areas. Lemmy certainly comes across as the thoughtful kind of guy that he is. He's actually a truly old-school sort of gentleman - you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has a bad word to say about him.

I love his disarming honesty and wicked humour and truly no fucks are given!

Musically Motörhead are almost never less than incredible - their latest album is one of their best. Live they are fucking amazing - seeing them live in 2011 was one of the most joyous, euphoric and punishingly loud things you can imagine. One of the more intimidating looking sold-out crowds perhaps yet there was so much love in the room.

True fact: Lemmy's favourite ever album? Back in the USA by the MC5.

Respect...

What albums did you buy Alan?
O P 8
Timothytix
New user

Lemmy Documentary

Post by Timothytix »

I just watched Heart of Darkness - A Filmakers Apocolypse earlier today. Great documentary about a film where everything went wrong but it ended up being a great film.