What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hedspace
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by Hedspace »

The Warlocks
Skull Worship

Wasnt mad about this when I first heard it a while back..never really gave it a chance I spose or in the wrong mood but today its sounding fantastic.
a dark dense psych out. lovely 8)

full album here >

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

WOODS "With Light And With Love" titletrack http://www.woodsist.com/news/woods-shar ... our-dates/ Such a great song! Big fan of this band over the years and really looking forward to hearing the whole album.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Howl.

gonna burn brightly
for a while
saint mikey profane
New user

Post by saint mikey profane »

Atheists Reconsider by Oneida/Liars
The Complete LHI Recordings by Honey Ltd
Raw & Alive by The Seeds
Black Mountain by Black Mountain
saint mikey profane
New user

Post by saint mikey profane »

The Seeds - Raw & Alive. Currently two tracks that tear off the top of your skull are Up In Her Room and Gypsy Plays His Drums followed by the perfect scuzzy pop come down of Can't Seem To Make You Mine. Not enough of this music is made these days. I also recommend The Proper Ornaments "Waiting For The Summer", Boogarins "As Plantas Que Curam" and The People's Temple "Musical Garden". Three modern records of less than 30 minutes in length and yet just necessary to have in your collection. Otherwise, for those who want to go to psych space heaven should listen to Carlton Melton - this band will send you to places that you do not want to return from.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Moving out and going through a lot of CDs, trying (mostly failing) to get rid of ones I have on vinyl. Put on Sandinista for the first time in a few months. Great fucking record.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

saint mikey profane wrote:The Seeds - Raw & Alive. Currently two tracks that tear off the top of your skull are Up In Her Room and Gypsy Plays His Drums followed by the perfect scuzzy pop come down of Can't Seem To Make You Mine.
It's a decent record but I'm not sure how much of it is truly "live". The volume of the overdubbed audience is a bit much too. I mean, they had their time but they were never as big as The Beatles (as one would be inclined to believe with that audience noise).

I am looking forward to the Alec Palao film though.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Clint Mansell - Noah

Really good
madmole
New user

Post by madmole »

Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Mix by Slowdive

http://www.factmag.com/2014/03/10/fact- ... -slowdive/

...... Spiritualized (and Spacemen 3), Swans, Dinosaur Jnr and Bark Pychosis we also have been fascinated with since they began sonically expanding our minds when we were still teenagers.
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Good choice redcloud.
Off for a bit of Kaleidoscope myself now.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

toomilk wrote:Moving out and going through a lot of CDs, trying (mostly failing) to get rid of ones I have on vinyl. Put on Sandinista for the first time in a few months. Great fucking record.
amen to that! I am a big fan of Sandinista. is every track great? no. but I still love it!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i don't know why at all, but lately all i've been in the mood to listen to has been 'the trinity session' by cowboy junkies.
it might be some kind of extension of all the mazzy star i'd been listening to before, but for some reason i put it on in my headphones while i was riding the bus a few weeks ago even though i hadn't listened to it in about four years.
i also got the first dead meadow on vinyl this week because the band re-released it, so i've been listening to that a bunch lately too.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Crazy night.
PIL- First Issue
Kate Bush- The Kick Inside
Motorhead- Overkill
White Manna- Dune Worship
Young Sinclairs- Chimney
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Spectrum- Soul Kiss (I would imagine this getting a few spins around here lately!)
Red Sparowes- Before The Soundless Dawn
The Jesus & Mary Chain- Psychocandy (still a classic through and through!!)
plenty of Loop in preparation for tomorrow night..
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Kosmischer Laufer Vol.2 album

stream beam
http://kosmischerlaufer.bandcamp.com/

vol.2 vinyl now up for grabs for those interested. personally I love how beautifully crafted the back story is for these albums. The music speaks for itself.

http://www.kosmischerlaufer.com/
http://www.scribd.com/doc/211613796/Kos ... eeve-Notes
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Lilacs & Champagne's new EP: Midnight Features Vol. 1: Shower Scene

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic

(Kim's Watermelon Gun, to be precise...)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Trapeze - Medusa

Glenn Hughes' band with the drummer who went on to be in Judas Priest...decent early 70's hard rock similar to Free and Deep Purple.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - Chambers , been playing this a lot recently, its a quality little album ,
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i made this psych/garage mix earlier in the month that i'm pretty proud of-

http://www.mixcloud.com/shalloboi/diary ... slowly-by/
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote:Lorelle Meets The Obsolete - Chambers , been playing this a lot recently, its a quality little album ,
Bought this yesterday and really enjoyed it so rather than listening to it again I went off to Bandcamp and splurged on some of their back catalog. Listening to Corruptible Faces now..... 8)

Also noticed some tasty Asteroid #4 vinyl there that I don't have yet....."These Flowers of Ours: A Treasury of Witchcraft & Devilry" which dates back to 2008. Needless to say that was purchased too. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Dolly Parton- Little Sparrow. One of her bluegrass records. Sounds perfect on this crisp sunny morning here.
Stranglers- The Raven
Dennis Wilson- Pacific Ocean Blue Music On Vinyl reissue. N I C E!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Off to see Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats tonight, so have queued up a pile of similar rifftastic tunes for today...

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Durutti Column- Someone Else's Party.
been on one of my periodic DC binges recently. I have come to the conclusion that this album is possibly the best of Vini's recent work.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:Durutti Column- Someone Else's Party.
been on one of my periodic DC binges recently. I have come to the conclusion that this album is possibly the best of Vini's recent work.
Simply wonderful album from start to end. Amazing to think that this was all recorded on the same 4 track portastudio used for LC that was bought second hand from Bill Nelson....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sheila E - Glamorous Life. Getting ready to dj a wedding this weekend.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
Simply wonderful album from start to end. Amazing to think that this was all recorded on the same 4 track portastudio used for LC that was bought second hand from Bill Nelson....
agreed. his recent albums have often been all over the place, but this one is very consistent all the way through. never knew that about the 4 track!
have you seen the details of the Chronicle boxset? I think it was you that said that the album isn't much cop, but I have to say the actual boxset does look pretty tasty. add that to the boxset budget along with the Mogwai!!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:
olan wrote:
agreed. his recent albums have often been all over the place, but this one is very consistent all the way through. never knew that about the 4 track!
have you seen the details of the Chronicle boxset? I think it was you that said that the album isn't much cop, but I have to say the actual boxset does look pretty tasty. add that to the boxset budget along with the Mogwai!!
I have the Chronicle CD that was handed out at the gig in MCR a couple of years back. It is not something I listen to much as it is a relentlessly bleak document of a difficult period in VR's life. The designer has been a bit silly, hence the delayed release. The box set is something best done with vinyl IMHO, as I tend to just rip everything to a NAS and then shove the CDs in the cellar. I'll be pleased when Chronicle does get a release as then the demos and unreleased stuff from the late Factory era can finally see the light of day.
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Wee Tam and the Big Huge
It really doesn't get any better
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Slint: Spiderland

This arrived the other day after I paid a £32 pound bill for import VAT.... :cry: . Musically, it is superb, but it is also a very nicely thought out artefact. I need to find time to listen to the bonus material and watch the DVD.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: I have the Chronicle CD that was handed out at the gig in MCR a couple of years back. It is not something I listen to much as it is a relentlessly bleak document of a difficult period in VR's life. The designer has been a bit silly, hence the delayed release. The box set is something best done with vinyl IMHO, as I tend to just rip everything to a NAS and then shove the CDs in the cellar. I'll be pleased when Chronicle does get a release as then the demos and unreleased stuff from the late Factory era can finally see the light of day.
the designer being silly is carrying on the spirit of Factory records, in a way :)
I do like the sound of a lot of the extra stuff they are including- live tracks and also the stems for Paean to Wilson so you can do your own remixes!

what's the story behind those Factory demos you mention?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Low - The Invisible Way
Wow. Kind of wish someone had told me how great this was so I would've got it earlier.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Harvey Mandel - "Games Guitars Play"

Great guitar player from Chicago who eventually joined Canned Heat. I love his first two solo albums, found this third solo recently in cheap bins and have been really enjoying it. His version of "I Don't Need No Doctor" is clearly the template for the Flamin' Groovies punky hard rockin' "Headin' For The Texas Border".
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Doing some Saturday afternoon household chores with:

Stephen Stills - 1st
Stephen Stills - 2
Stephen Stills - "Stills"
Manassas - s/t
Manassas - Down The Road

Bit of a Stephen Stills theme happening here. 8)
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

tonight-

tamaryn- 'tender new signs'
a winged victory for the sullen- 'atomos vii' ep

right now 'the space project' is winding down-
i keep putting the spiritualized track on and end up listening to the whole thing- it flows better as a whole than most albums i've heard recently- pretty remarkable for a compilation album. there are only a few songs that i really don't care for on it.
Bull Lee
Known user

Post by Bull Lee »

redcloud wrote:Harvey Mandel - "Games Guitars Play"

Great guitar player from Chicago who eventually joined Canned Heat. I love his first two solo albums, found this third solo recently in cheap bins and have been really enjoying it. His version of "I Don't Need No Doctor" is clearly the template for the Flamin' Groovies punky hard rockin' "Headin' For The Texas Border".
Superb and under the radar of many. He played with John Mayall on his USA Union album which is also worth a listen.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Bull Lee wrote:
redcloud wrote:Harvey Mandel - "Games Guitars Play"

Superb and under the radar of many. He played with John Mayall on his USA Union album which is also worth a listen.
Yep, I have "USA Union", agreed, another great album as are so many of Mayall's albums from the late 60's/early 70's. Larry "The Mole" Taylor, also from Heat, played bass on it.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

grateful dead 12/12/69, Thelma, LA.
really enjoying this..
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Dirty Three- Live at Meredith
The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers
shalloboi wrote: right now 'the space project' is winding down-
i keep putting the spiritualized track on and end up listening to the whole thing- it flows better as a whole than most albums i've heard recently- pretty remarkable for a compilation album. there are only a few songs that i really don't care for on it.
good to hear you say that. been deliberating whether to buy it, it's a cool concept but I was wondering whether it was something I would actually play that much.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Has anybody heard the new EL;BL, Into Forever?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Finally got to spin the new Beck LP on my turntable last night.

It's blimmin lovely - described by the missus as a West Coast meets Beta Band sound, so what's not to like??!!

Ace old school Capitol Records labels on the vinyl too. Nice touch.

Also delved more into the Miles Davis '69 bootleg series vinyl box set that somebody on here recommended a while ago. Loving that too...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hofstadter wrote:Has anybody heard the new EL;BL, Into Forever?
Playing it now...a real mix of uptempo and chilled out ambient numbers. Really enjoying it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

swans- 'to be kind'

i'm half-way through it right now (the 30 minute track 'bring the sun/toussaint l'ouveture' right now) and so far it's fantastic. the production is particularly strong- really looking forward to seeing them in june too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

been listening to the debut album from Inventions which is a collaboration between Matthew Cooper (Eluvium) and Mark from Explosions In The Sky. I urge anyone who is an Explosions fan to have a listen. its got that pretty, delayed guitar sound but mixed in with pure ambience, electronic washes etc. I thought it would be a typical 'okay' side project but it's actually kinda beautiful.

http://drownedinsound.com/news/4147687- ... rack-guide
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Black Keys - Magic Potion, `their worst album and paste bland` according to some no mark reviewer writing up their latest album on Pitchfork, sounds pretty good to me and always has done :)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Outkast - Aquemini, on the train into work this morning. Splendid album.
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing, whilst easing myself into work right now. Sunshine vibes.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Soulsavers - Broken (double vinyl)

Picked this up recently on eBay for the (bargain?) price of £15 (including p&p). The record arrived and I don't think it's ever been played...it's immaculate and sounds gorgeous. Noticed that it had gone through 2 cycles on eBay at just over and just under the £20 and no one had bid on it so I messaged the seller with my offer and he thankfully accepted. Don't see many of these come up on eBay or Discogs so I'm very happy with this find.
Last edited by Shinesalight on Thu May 15, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Bull Lee
Known user

Post by Bull Lee »

Shinesalight wrote:
Playing it now...a real mix of uptempo and chilled out ambient numbers. Really enjoying it.
Yes it's been getting a thrashing in my humble abode too. A little more mellow than I was expecting but still very good and the opener has plenty of force which is what I was after.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:Soulsavers - Broken (double vinyl)

Picked this up recently on eBay for the (bargain?) price of £15 (including p&p). The record arrived and I don't think it's ever been played...it's immaculate and sounds gorgeous. Noticed that it had gone through 2 cycles on eBay at just over and just under the £20 and no one had bid on it so I messaged the seller with my offer and he thankfully accreted. Don't see many of these come up on eBay or Discogs so I'm very happy with this find.
Is that a practice you`ve used before? and does it work usually? , saw something`s I fancy which to me are over priced that have been for sale for ages, might try this strategy,
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

E.A.R. - Worn To A Shadow

Finally got this, and I'm very much enjoying it on first listen. Some of the later E.A.R. work is a little impenetrable/dull for my tastes, but this is a welcome evolution of PK's more Mesmerised-esque ambient ideas. I've got Pestrepeller to listen to next...
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Primal Scream - Live In Japan

Loud!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Bull Lee wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:
Yes it's been getting a thrashing in my humble abode too. A little more mellow than I was expecting but still very good and the opener has plenty of force which is what I was after.
Cool, I'm picking it up courtesy of D.E.R. :)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

This is incredible!!!! 8) 8) 8)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Oscillation 'The Cable Street Sessions'.

Upcoming on Cardinal Fuzz and well worth grabbing. Much more in your face than previous releases, there's a fierceness at work that was never apparent before. Then again this is a live session so i imagine that's why it sounds harder than any of their albums.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Beta Band- Hot Shots ll
The Upsetters- Super Ape
Grateful Dead- Europe 72 Vol.2
Lee Dorsey- S/T
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Slowdive - Souvlaki

Picked this (the Music On Vinyl heavyweight reissue) up on our honeymoon in Paris, prior to their comeback shows and also upon realising that I didn't have this album on any format. What a glorious sounding record. Can't believe I never picked this up first time around. Very strange considering I had all their vinyl EP's up to that point (including the Outside Your Room EP) and the first LP on CD.

Gruff Rhys - American Interior

Got this off the merch stand when we went to see Gruff last week. Great gig, great record, great concept, great bloke 8)

Dean Wareham - S/T

Still sounding great and probably my most played record of the year so far. Gutted I couldn't make his Brighton gig last week, especially after reading about the low attendances in the gigs section. Definitely a contender for LP of the year.

Varlious Artists - A Crushing Glow (Compiled by Matt Sewell)

Bought this as part of my wife's 40th birthday present. Matt Sewell is an artist who she is friendly with and who has written and illustrated a few books on birds (http://mattsewell.co.uk). He was asked by Caroline True Records to put a compilation together and this is the result. A really eclectic and beautiful mix of music. Lauren Laverne made it her compilation of the week a couple of weeks back.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Jade Warrior - s/t (1971)

Simply put...they don't make albums like this anymore.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Kikagaku Moyo - S/T - Never heard of these until i saw that Cardinal Fuzz were re-issuing this on vinyl so decided to check 'em out. Superb psych, mellow drone with sitar in parts then lovely wigged out guitar jams too. :D 8)

Pow! - Hi-Tech Boom - Released on Castleface records and sounds like Thee Oh Sees with added analogue synths. That'll do nicely thanks.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Revelation.

top notch....really enjoying this, Anton is hitting his stride with this and the last effort, nicely pulling away from the previous Dig/ 60's pastiche stereotype
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

spunder wrote:Brian Jonestown Massacre - Revelation.

top notch....really enjoying this, Anton is hitting his stride with this and the last effort, nicely pulling away from the previous Dig/ 60's pastiche stereotype
"Days Weeks Moths" is his best song (imo) since "God Is My Girlfriend". I love it!
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

The new BJM album is definitely super cool - ever since somebody posted that Justin.TV link to the demo version of it on here sometime in the past year or so I've been listening to it pretty regularly, it's cool to hear the changes and new stuff now though. The first track is still so cool to me, I remember some people were bashing it a little bit on here for being too imitative but fuck that I think it's awesome. "Memorymix" and "Duck and Cover" are pretty dope as well; together those three are what make the album super appealing to me. The last three tracks on the album also seem like classic, pulling-all-the-right-emotional-strings BJM for me
sunray wrote: Pow! - Hi-Tech Boom - Released on Castleface records and sounds like Thee Oh Sees with added analogue synths. That'll do nicely thanks.
Digging it - reminds me a bit of white fence; feel like this plus Holy Wave will definitely be the go-to hot, summery records for me. Good LA driving music or something haha.

Also been listening to:

Golden Retriever - Seer (as well as GR's tape from a few years ago on NNA) - really rad blend of modular synthesis and wind instruments. Highly recommended. Seeing them opening for Sun Araw in a few weeks.

Terry Riley and Don Cherry - Live in Koln - "Descending Moonshine Dervishes" is already a super cool riley piece, but it's totally beautiful with Don Cherry on there for the live version; if you like terry riley type stuff, let me know and I'll send this to you, I've really been loving it and it's sort of hard to find in a non-youtube version - I definitely had not heard any Riley stuff like it before, having that extra layer of instrumentation on there really seems unique to me and makes it that much more expressive/emotional.

Oval - 94 Diskont and Systemisch - these are both super beautiful records that I listened to a ton this year - is anybody on here into them? I find them super inspiring musically, especially for a lot of the max/msp stuff I've been working on lately. These records are really easy for me to just throw on and then stare at the ceiling for ages. Seem like good times.

Bitchin' Bajas - just everything... I love that stuff so much. Since first being introduced to Cave and BB via the board in the past year or so, BB have easily become one of my top 4 artists (sp3/sun araw/bb/hookworms). Every single Bitchin Bajas release is absolutely amazing to me. The 3xCassette Live at the Hideout release is a goldmine. Bitchin' Bajas stuff has also been super "inspirational" or something for the sorts of stuff I want to be doing musically. Getting a copy of Water Wrackets with the posters and DVD and stuff was definitely the highlight of the (school) year for me in terms of records and stuff.

Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting :) Swastika Girls is always more mesmerizing to me.

The thing I have been listening to the absolute most though since I got back from school a week or two ago though:
Hookworms - "On Returning"
I brought some of my records back home with me over spring break and the Radio Tokyo/On Returning 7" as one of them -
first thing I did when I got home was put on On Returning, and I have been listening to it a non-stop. Feels so frigging perfect. supplementing it with the first tape and and the LP (and also "the Correspondent" from Psych for Sore Eyes), but damn "On Returning"... can't get over that song right now.

Has anybody checked out the band Datashock? I've heard good things about them recently and feel like people on here might dig them? Seem to be some German collective of doods who make slowly building psych epics about the desert.... I don't know, jus thought I'd throw that name out there.
Guy Wysman
New user

Post by Guy Wysman »

ro wrote:Oh, to live on Sugar Mountain
With the barkers and the colored balloons,
You can't be twenty on Sugar Mountain
Though you're thinking that
You're leaving there too soon,
You're leaving there too soon.

It's so noisy at the fair
But all your friends are there