Acid House (1998)

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

madmole
New user

Acid House (1998)

Post by madmole »

A film adaptation of Irvine Welsh's short stories. It's in the same style and grit of the more popularly know 'Trainspotting'. Although this one is cheaply made and kind of confusing. The low-budget aesthetic all the more blends well with the subject matter. Or i was just too high... :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Acid_House_%28film%29
DL
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5704083/ ... SSAESPIRAL
Laz69
Known user

Re: Acid House (1998)

Post by Laz69 »

One of the funniest and most difficult to watch of all his movies. The first and last stories are just hilarious. Very funny watching many of Scotland's more mainstream and straight actors behaving and acting in such crude ways. Second story i find really really hard to watch. There is no denying its an incredible real sitaution that Irvine Welsh has captured perfectly, but oh, its so bloody hard to watch.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I really enjoyed this movie. It stuck to the stories pretty faithfully. A Soft Touch is really sad. The stories in the book are generally excellent.

I feel Irving Welsh's writing has gone off the boil these days and I've read everything he's written. The early books had some incredible stuff in. That last one Skagboys seemed an attempt to recapture the mood he once had but for me it was very unsatisfying and just seemed to ramble without any of the dark edginess he produced in Trainspotting.

Curiously one of the best things he ever wrote was that short story in Disco Biscuits called State of the Party which was so twisted yet totally hilarious. You find yourself laughing at this appalling tale.
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

haha i love the way his novels/short stories have been adapted to the screen. i've been anticipating the release of Filth for ages. i seem to remember ages ago that it was suppose to be in the works. absolutely my favorite novel of his, it's so vile and disgusting i can't even think of anything to compare it to. sadly i have lost track of him lately as his last few novels haven't done anything for me.

also if you haven't read it highly recommend Babylon Heights. the play that he and dean cavanagh did together. it's extremely well written and a slightly different pace than usual. come to think of it that might be the last piece of work i thoroughly enjoyed by him.

'shite in my mouth'
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

pale blue eyes wrote:haha i love the way his novels/short stories have been adapted to the screen. i've been anticipating the release of Filth for ages. i seem to remember ages ago that it was suppose to be in the works. absolutely my favorite novel of his, it's so vile and disgusting i can't even think of anything to compare it to.
It was released last year with James McAvoy in the lead role. I still haven't seen it myself but i just can't picture McAvoy as Bruce Robertson, he's too young and pretty.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

sunray wrote:
pale blue eyes wrote:haha i love the way his novels/short stories have been adapted to the screen. i've been anticipating the release of Filth for ages. i seem to remember ages ago that it was suppose to be in the works. absolutely my favorite novel of his, it's so vile and disgusting i can't even think of anything to compare it to.
It was released last year with James McAvoy in the lead role. I still haven't seen it myself but i just can't picture McAvoy as Bruce Robertson, he's too young and pretty.

really? damn it has been awhile since i checked on Irvines website.

WOW! just checked out the trailer it looks amazing (not sure about the music) and i am ordering it now. agree about the lead actor, i always imagined Robertson to be a nasty fellow all around, looks included. i really hope they do the scene in the toilet with him scratching his balls, absolutely one of the nastiest things i have ever read.

thanks a million Sunray, you made my day!
madmole
New user

Post by madmole »

runcible wrote:I really enjoyed this movie. It stuck to the stories pretty faithfully. A Soft Touch is really sad. The stories in the book are generally excellent.

I feel Irving Welsh's writing has gone off the boil these days and I've read everything he's written. The early books had some incredible stuff in. That last one Skagboys seemed an attempt to recapture the mood he once had but for me it was very unsatisfying and just seemed to ramble without any of the dark edginess he produced in Trainspotting.

Curiously one of the best things he ever wrote was that short story in Disco Biscuits called State of the Party which was so twisted yet totally hilarious. You find yourself laughing at this appalling tale.

Nice. Maybe I should read more of his work. I've only read Trainspotting... :?
madmole
New user

Post by madmole »

sunray wrote:

Look at that. Another movie on my list. Thanks! It seems more commercial than the other two films. I hope that doesn't ruin it.
pale blue eyes
Known user

Post by pale blue eyes »

madmole wrote:
sunray wrote:

Look at that. Another movie on my list. Thanks! It seems more commercial than the other two films. I hope that doesn't ruin it.

yeah my thoughts exactly, it does look a little too slick from the preview, still totally excited to watch it.