Translation HELP!

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

robotoilet
Known user

Translation HELP!

Post by robotoilet »

I'm working on the translation check on the documentary about Gaudi.
But cannot figure out what the one sentence exactly means.

Gaudi was urged to spend a generous early donation quickly before the new Bishop of Barcelona had a chance to divert the cash elsewhere.
Gaudi needed no second invitation.

Does it mean that he knew what he should do, or something?

I know I should't post like this here but am really desperate.
Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Translation HELP!

Post by semisynthetic »

It seems that Gaudi did not need to be told twice, the fact that the NEW Bishop had plans to divert monies in a way that Gaudi would not approve seems to be causal here.

It is better to spend it yourself, Gaudi, than to allow this NEW Bishop to redirect those monies elsewhere - and Gaudi realized this the FIRST TIME he heard, needing "no second invitation OR HINT" to decide to spend the money he had, lest it be diverted.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Quite simply it means he was keen to do it.

The idiom "didn't need a second invitation" just implies the "first invitation" was more than sufficient to prompt whatever action is referred to, and the implication is simply to infer "keenness".
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Oh I understand that. The problem was solved!

In this job, once I get stuck, I spend hours and hours on thinking and googling.
In most cases I figure out by myself. But this time.. phew.

I really really appreciate you both!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

robotoilet wrote:Oh I understand that. The problem was solved!

In this job, once I get stuck, I spend hours and hours on thinking and googling.
In most cases I figure out by myself. But this time.. phew.

I really really appreciate you both!
No problem! I've done proofreading and related work in the past, including one job where I worked from home - so didn't have immediate and informal access to colleagues.

I was surprised at the lack of online resources for self-employed proofing (though things may have since changed). It seemed like a good candidate for some kind of online support forum, as it would have been useful as a place where people in similar circumstances could have posted queries with relative anonymity, and without having to highlight some gap in their own knowledge that one would have preferred not to have to share with the employer!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

(I would say "you are welcome" robo toilet), but as I wished to invoke causality, in order to better explain the choice made by Gaudi as the method to better "see" and understand the meaning of this idiom, mojo filters was far more direct and concise. :D
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus