Picture discs

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

plastic37
Known user

Picture discs

Post by plastic37 »

What is the earliest picture disc you own?
I was thinking about this whilst swimming earlier this evening after looking at various pic disc from Rocket Girl just before leaving the house.
Went to Wikipedia to find that they are as old as the hills.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_disc

I think the oldest one i have is Speed Your Love Me 7" by Simple Minds from 83 maybe 4. I brought it for £4 in about 1987 from a record fair. At the time i thought it was the business. Now i value it more for the price ticket still attached. I remember a friend buying Madness Tomorrow's Just Another Day in about 1982. The amazing revelation was that it cost the same as the standard issue. WOW!

Further clicking on the subject of unusual types of vinyl reveals that coloured discs date way back too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_ty ... ured_vinyl

I think my earliest example is The Stranglers Black And White (1978) on a marble effect grey. Again the purchase of this disc made me feel two inches taller. The same price as the normal lp - fools.

I have a fondness for yellow vinyl and often buy cheap yellow discs regardless of the artist.

Shapes?
Yuck.
In 1986/7 The Stranglers released all the singles from the Dreamtime lp on shapes and, dear reader, they saw me (aged 16) coming.

I think the only picture disc LP i have is Songs to Learn And Sing by Echo & The Bunnymen. I vividly remember putting it on for the first time and noticing the predominance of the crackles for a second or two but then being captivated by the opening notes of my first encounter with Rescue.
Heavy Tourism
redcloud
Known user

Re: Picture discs

Post by redcloud »

I have a live LOVE album on Rhino Records that came out in 1982 with a groovy photo from the 1st/2nd album cover shoot. I bought it when I was about 16 and was buying everything I could from off the radar 60's bands (in 1985, LOVE were still off the radar - certainly for a 16 year old kid from Cleveland).

On the whole I have never been attracted to the picture disc. Mainly because I buy records to play not to sit on my shelf wrapped up in plastic. I may have about a dozen or so records I try not to play - the rest, I will put on my deck at anytime. On the whole, the sound quality on a picture disc is inferior. I know we had the debate about colored vinyl being inferior in sound vs clear or black but, I do believe it is pretty much universally accepted that the audio quality on picture discs are poor.

That said, if I stumbled on an affordable copy of Curved Air's picture disc from 1971 (the first picture disc in rock music?) I would probably buy it.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Picture discs - Not All Pic Discs are Created Equal

Post by semisynthetic »

I have a few Recordings from the very start of the 20th century which are 1 sided; but have artwork "carved" or pressed deeply into the other side. My favorite is a Classical piece with an Angel drawing the grooves in a record with a plumed quill pen. The Drawing COVERS the back of the 12" 78rpm disc. About 1906. You can STILL see this Angel on European Classical music packaging to this day! The logo, like everything else, is smaller; but look in the Classical section, on Deutche Gramaphone, and you will likely see it (only tiny). Some have Advertisements for "everyday" items glued to the blank side with varnish/ shellac added to seal and protect them.

As for "modern" Picture Discs, I have (3) copies, (2) of which are sealed, of Mike Oldfields 1973 "Tubular Bells" which is a wonderful LP, but this is an example of an "artwork only" disc; (or at least the USA example I have is).

The Oldest Picture Disc I have which comes to mind, is a 78rpm from 1947; it shows a young couple, (as I remember, with the young man holding or smoking a cigarette). The music is listed as "Black Jazz Combo", ( I remembered "She's Funny That Way", the other song title escapes me), I will need to find it to complete my memories. But that might take awhile. I have several "sets" of Childrens Picture Discs; (instead of pushing a button or pulling a string) the wee one learns what animals sound like. MOST of these are 5" to 6" and have the image on a colored disc, usually yellow, red or orange.

I overlooked a Beautiful Type of Picture Disc
; (1930); specifically, a "Granada" series of Picture Discs from the 1930's; one w/ Enrico Caruso; Granada Discs are superior in sound I believe, than Vogue Discs; they were also generally more Formal, and if not Classical, did have "big names" for their time. Some, like Caruso, that I am certain many of you are familiar with.

My own 78rpm section (which I have been adding to for all these years) is still far from "complete"! These were THE thing once upon a time, and to this day, some of my favorite songs are available only on 78 rpm records, The 1920's and 1930's had some very interesting and even strange pieces - like a bizarro adaptation of a Rudy Vallee' song "Deep Night" played as an instrumental with an eerie chorus and listed as "Voodoo Foxtrot with Female Sextette". Very nice; certainly unusual; I wish more of you could hear some of these older discs; there are a great number of these that are far from "quaint", and some are truly complex.

Generally speaking, Pic Discs are certainly not what I would call even CLOSE to being "audiophile recordings"; but as with most things, there are exceptions.

I have some German Wax Picture Discs that are incredible
! Several of these were Promo Only, but the others were sold IN the Audiophile section, and with good reason! Another example is a set of Netherland Waxes with a very young Elvis Presley; music and interviews; I can honestly say that I would be very pleased indeed if every new recording I bought sounded as nice! There was also a set of Beatles Pic Discs from The Netherlands, from the late 1970's; I have (2) sets, and I played one side from the set I HADN'T put away, and it was so very well done, [that I played every disc and placed them on the Reel-to-Reel - vibrant and rich and full, realistic sound; truly superior sound reproduction]; the sound quality is extraordinary. Since the Pic Discs are often more of an oddity or a "piece of art" ONLY, I can see why Pic Discs are often thought of only in that way; BUT I do have many examples of superior sound quality discs that are either waxes or sound like waxes! Several German and Dutch samplers, on wonderful, wonderful wax, have artwork or images of the artists who are playing on the discs

I know that color alone means nothing about sound quality; it is what was USED in the pressing and HOW well it was pressed that makes all the difference. Just as some black vinyl is inferior, or pressed in an inferior way, so it is with colored material discs. I believe the most INCREDIBLE disc I own is a purple wax from Holland; you can practically FEEL the strings move the air! The same with with a white wax of "Let it Be"; absolutely fantastic material used to make that white disc, and so it is with many hundreds more in my collection. And naturally, there are examples that were not pressed well or made of ideal material, or both.

As for "Shaped" discs:
I do have a really wonderful memory, of one of the (new) Grad Students, who was from France, was visiting me; and I mentioned the band "Telefone" from (c. 1977), and their release of "Le Bombe Huma'ine" on a simple, but clearly, an old style "telephone" shaped red vinyl disc. It seemed I had not only reminded him of a happy memory from his youth, (but was really surprised, it seemed, that I was even aware of this band). I remember the uneasiness when I asked about different interpretations of exactly what that title meant, IF their was a singular meaning; and apparently it was not so simple to explain, so I showed him their 1st PS release, and what a smile! A flood of anecdotes, some in English and some in French came pouring out with all the hand gestures, and I believe he felt at home for awhile. Little things; small items; simple things, can hold great meaning and memories. I suppose it is all in how one looks at these things. (I had originally purchased the disc for what seemed to be an interesting song, it just happened to be shaped like a phone!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
by ro » Thu May 15, 2014 7:44 am

semisynthetic wrote:
I have a few Recordings from the very start of the 20th century which are 1 sided; but have artwork "carved" or pressed deeply into the other side. My favorite is a Classical piece with an Angel drawing the grooves in a record with a plumed quill pen. The Drawing COVERS the back of the 12" 78rpm disc. About 1906.

intriguing!
if it's handy, could you post a picture?ro
Known user

HERE IS THE BEST I COULD DO IN A HURRY; The disc was held at an angle, distorting the image; the Angel; I suppose "Cherub" is more accurate. A quick photo of the first example I came across, of Verdi, an excerpt (as they ALL were), dated July 1st 1906 at the INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE rate of $2.50. In TODAY'S worthless money, that would be somewhere around $250 - $300+.
THIS IS NOT THE DISC I HAD IN MIND, (BUT IT JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE SAME DATE)
:

Just a Note:
The Disc I had in mind has the Angel, the Cherub, as large as the disc itself; THIS example is about 4" across.
Attachments
Verdi (July 1st 1906) w/ Angel or Cherub drawing grooves on disc Logo; US PATENT; Music recorded "in Europe"
Verdi (July 1st 1906) w/ Angel or Cherub drawing grooves on disc Logo; US PATENT; Music recorded "in Europe"
Verdi July 1st 1906 w Angel drawing grooves on disc Logo aaa.jpg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:20 am, edited 15 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

First picture disc i got was Madness 'Driving In My Car' 7", in 1982. My sister bought it for me as a present. We didn't have a record player at the time so i just stuck to my wall with blu tack. In its transparent sleeve of course.

The Anthony Ausgang EAR discs are lovely. As is the Worn To A Shadow lp with the op-art design on it 8)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Thinkk one of the first ones I bought was Jesus Jones - International Bright Young Thing!
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

:mrgreen:
Last edited by nickh on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

semisynthetic wrote:I have a few Recordings from the very start of the 20th century which are 1 sided; but have artwork "carved" or pressed deeply into the other side. My favorite is a Classical piece with an Angel drawing the grooves in a record with a plumed quill pen. The Drawing COVERS the back of the 12" 78rpm disc. About 1906.
intriguing!
if it's handy, could you post a picture?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

nickh wrote:I think I had Driving in My Car as well, probably the last Madness single I bought.

I had a picture disc of Lovely Money by The Damned but really can’t remember owning any others.
I still have that Damned record, also a Damned Live In Newcastle picture disc album from around the same time, memory might be playing tricks here, but I think Runcible might have took the picture in this disc,

I remember having a pic/disc single by The Skids and also The Anti-Nowhere League, any one of these could have been my 1st, never been a particular fan of them myself,
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

niamhm wrote: I still have that Damned record, also a Damned Live In Newcastle picture disc album from around the same time, memory might be playing tricks here, but I think Runcible might have took the picture in this disc
:D :D :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runcible wrote:
niamhm wrote: I still have that Damned record, also a Damned Live In Newcastle picture disc album from around the same time, memory might be playing tricks here, but I think Runcible might have took the picture in this disc
:D :D :D
:shock:

Very (weirdly) coincidentally enough, I saw the very evidence a week ago with my own eyes - from the man himself!
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

My first two picture discs - bought with my own pocket money. Sadly only the MSP one still exists somewhere in a box...

O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The only reason that I can imagine NOT having at least an interesting example or three of this sort of fusion and Art is $. Over the years I have aquired at least several hundred Picture Discs (and even Box Sets of Picture Discs) that are just fine on the shelf, to be viewed when perhaps the "regular" disc is playing; or, if it is a high quality wax Pic Disc, to be played and enjoyed itself. They are each like a little canvas that plays music, and as for me, I like a great many of them for the art alone. I do NOT play the discs that I believe were made ONLY for the art, for those generally ARE in the inferior sound category; but the waxes and those I know will sound GREAT, I do play.

The notion that "all picture discs have an inferior sound" is based upon a small pool of samples. I listed a few "exceptions" of hundreds of exceptions, above.

The Nirvana Disc immediately above this posting is very interesting for the Art.
I like it.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

sunray wrote:First picture disc i got was Madness 'Driving In My Car' 7", in 1982. My sister bought it for me as a present. We didn't have a record player at the time so i just stuck to my wall with blu tack. In its transparent sleeve of course.

The Anthony Ausgang EAR discs are lovely. As is the Worn To A Shadow lp with the op-art design on it 8)
Yes, I agree with you.
Paracelsus
ro
Known user

Re: Picture discs - Not All Pic Discs are Created Equal

Post by ro »

semisynthetic wrote:"Cherub"
wow thanks, even rushed it does give a good idea.
it's lovely.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I looked around and called around to find a "Curved Air" AIR CONDITIONING Picture Disc, and the data was as varied as usual. Were there 2000? 5000? 10,000? of the First and / or Second release? What is the REAL DATE? 1970 or 1971? Over time, I have learned to be very careful about believing EVERY detail of the data, especially when it is so far removed in time. It is analogous to the "50" SPZ nonPromo LAGWAFIS, which appears may be inaccurate. Triple the time passed, and errors can appear. Different "Authoritative" references give wide ranges in actual numbers pressed, so I err on the side of the larger number.

All I can be sure of is I did try to find the best quality available - but, I don't expect much on this one; I have ALWAYS thought this was a great LP; and so this will certainly be an "art piece", and sort of nice to have what are (so far as I know) examples of the first (2) "Modern" Picture Discs". When it arrives, I get the data off the disc itself, if it is there, and share that with you. One difference for me, is my LP is an USA made disc; the Pic Disc is from the UK. Only "side A" is shown below. The ACTUAL DISC IMAGE, (w/ sides A & B) is shown on page 4.
Attachments
Air Conditioning Picture Disc 1st Issue "A" side
Air Conditioning Picture Disc 1st Issue "A" side
Air Conditioning Picture Disc 1st Issue 1970 UK.gif (59.74 KiB) Viewed 9061 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

It's always been my understanding that the Curved Air album IS the first rock and roll picture disc. I would only buy it for that aspect. But, I also wouldn't pay out the penance for it. Mainly because I am cheap but more importantly, I don't have that much extra cash just lying around for my selfish expenditure (family man here with two kids living on a teachers salary).

I do, however, own the Curved Air album on black vinyl but I was probably a teenager when I last played it. So, not an album I love but, I am admittedly attracted to its notable status as the 1st modern picture disc.
semisynthetic
Known user

Picture discs

Post by semisynthetic »

redcloud wrote:It's always been my understanding that the Curved Air album IS the first rock and roll picture disc. I would only buy it for that aspect. But, I also wouldn't pay out the penance for it. Mainly because I am cheap but more importantly, I don't have that much extra cash just lying around for my selfish expenditure (family man here with two kids living on a teachers salary).

I do, however, own the Curved Air album on black vinyl but I was probably a teenager when I last played it. So, not an album I love but, I am admittedly attracted to its notable status as the 1st modern picture disc.
Sounds completely reasonable to me. I bought the disc because it is considered the "first" so called "Modern" era Picture Disc; I have been a Curved Air fan for a long time; (and I really like this LP, and many others). Thanks to this thread, I learned of the U.K. Picture disc; otherwise, lists sent out for "Curved Air" items may have EVENTUALLY landed one; so I owe thanks to plastic37 for creating the Thread, so, uh, THANKS! I have obtained something that I will enjoy on multiple levels for many years to come.:D

This sort of enjoyment and sharing is one important aspect of this ENTIRE SITE! I certainly try to share info and labels and dates and Bands and images and so on; I enjoy it!

HOWEVER: Since WHEN is obtaining a piece that one would like to have now referred to as a "selfish expenditure"? I have collected music and ENJOYED THE MUSIC and ephemera I have attained through the years regardless of whether it was a gift, from a friend at at Radio Station, or, I bought what I could afford.

I would NEVER begrudge anyone an addition to their collection that they were pleased to get; such a strangeness of attitude would have never crossed my mind.

I have often commented, usually by PM, to those who DID find something they were pleased with and indicated they'd looked for. This approach, which you espouse is absolutely Alien to me, and I believe, unfortunate and terribly sad.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is an unusual, but very well executed graphic 12" Picture Disc. A "Metal/ Post-Punk type recording" (their description) I have not yet heard it; but in fairness, I bought it for the Artwork; I liked the Graphic - it may not be terribly "pleasant", but it is well done. The band is "Current 93", and this recording, entitled "In Menstrual Night", comes w/ an insert of what appears to be the Ideology (or the Bio) of the band "Nurse with Wound" and others on their label. The Graphic has a great sense of depth which does not translates well to a computer screen. This is very dark, unhappy music; I have heard and read the term "unlistenable" by several people; that despair also shows in the discs. The Musicians had a very unpleasant life, and are definitely beyond the "fringe" of society; but I did find the Graphic to be disturbing, yet have some aspect of works from the "Dark Ages", where fear and punishment languished on the psyche.
Attachments
CURRENT 93  "Nurse with Wound": "In Menstrual Night" side A w/ insert 12" disc
CURRENT 93 "Nurse with Wound": "In Menstrual Night" side A w/ insert 12" disc
CURRENT 93 In Menstrual Night 666 Pic Disca.jpg (154.07 KiB) Viewed 8366 times
CURRENT 93 "Nurse with Wound": "In Menstual Night" side b
CURRENT 93 "Nurse with Wound": "In Menstual Night" side b
CURRENT 93 In Menstual Night 666b.jpg (132.46 KiB) Viewed 8366 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:42 am, edited 7 times in total.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote: Since WHEN is obtaining a piece that one would like to have now referred to as a "selfish expenditure"? I have collected music and ENJOYED THE MUSIC and ephemera I have attained through the years regardless of whether it was a gift, from a friend at at Radio Station, or, I bought what I could afford. I would NEVER begrudge anyone an addition to their collection that they were pleased to get; such a strangeness of attitude would have never crossed my mind; I have often commented, (usually by PM), to those who DID find something they were pleased with and indicated they'd looked for. This approach, which you espouse is absolutely Alien to me, and I believe, unfortunate and terribly sad.[/b]

I don't know how much an original Curved Air picture disc would cost....few hundred dollars maybe? I can't really justify to spend that type of money on a record for "me" when I have two kids, a wife, mortgage etc. That is why it is a "selfish expenditure". It would be for my own wants when that money could go towards, oh....maybe a family holiday? Seems selfish and greedy to me.

However, if I stumbled on the record at a garage sale or somebody didn't know what it was or what it was worth...I would buy it. That was my point.
semisynthetic
Known user

Picture discs

Post by semisynthetic »

I suggest that you DO FIND OUT; [I found 4 copies within the hour, all near or below $100.]

I was unable to find a sealed copy in that time, (which would naturally be likely to cost more for this 44 year old Ltd Edition disc). The copy I bought was from a Dealer I have bought from for years, and his word that this disc was a "nice example" was good enough].
A pleasant of discussion of "Picture Discs", becoming degraded without any good reason, since so many people are happy to enjoy and share what they have aquired, or to see something new for the first time - without the negativity and constant drumbeat of $.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ok semi. Whatever you say. I'll let you get that Curved Air picture disc. I'm not that bothered, really. I don't even like the album. You can just label me that crazy liberal who also believes in National health insurance, equality/gay marriage and gun control.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Later this week, I am going to try and find the 1947 Picture Disc I mentioned earlier, "She's Funny that Way", and post a photo of it. Since, it is not at all unusual for many people to be relatively unfamiliar with 78rpm discs, let alone Picture Discs of that era, I think many of you might enjoy it. IT LOOKS VERY "1942"! Over the years, I have gathered quite a few 78rpm discs; so finding this one will be not just a search, but also a bit of an "exercise routine"! (These boxes are very HEAVY!); but I seem to remember placing this disc in a smaller box all its own........

Personally, I have enjoyed seeing or hearing of the discs so far, so I hope we will see more of them; this is an interesting topic that plactic37's inquisitive mind made clear. I originally thought it was a disc from 1942; I have had it for 30 years, & that date stuck in my mind; BUT, I thought it was VERY STRANGE to have such a luxury-item like this Pic Disc during wartime, so I used a magnifying glass, and the correct "7" DOES look like a "2" through the distortion of the final layers. The Pic Disc is from 1947. My error.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat May 31, 2014 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

redcloud wrote:
semisynthetic wrote: Since WHEN is obtaining a piece that one would like to have now referred to as a "selfish expenditure"? I have collected music and ENJOYED THE MUSIC and ephemera I have attained through the years regardless of whether it was a gift, from a friend at at Radio Station, or, I bought what I could afford. I would NEVER begrudge anyone an addition to their collection that they were pleased to get; such a strangeness of attitude would have never crossed my mind; I have often commented, (usually by PM), to those who DID find something they were pleased with and indicated they'd looked for. This approach, which you espouse is absolutely Alien to me, and I believe, unfortunate and terribly sad.[/b]

I don't know how much an original Curved Air picture disc would cost....few hundred dollars maybe? I can't really justify to spend that type of money on a record for "me" when I have two kids, a wife, mortgage etc. That is why it is a "selfish expenditure". It would be for my own wants when that money could go towards, oh....maybe a family holiday? Seems selfish and greedy to me.

However, if I stumbled on the record at a garage sale or somebody didn't know what it was or what it was worth...I would buy it. That was my point.
From afar this seems a very fair, understandable and sensible point to make and I can't see why anyone would argue back about it really. How daft. We spend our money how we wish to, surely?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I am trying to picture my other half's face if I came home with a picture disc that cost me hundreds of pounds.

Somehow I can't quite see a happy scene.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Wow, this thread took a bizarre turn. :shock: :? :roll:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

runcible wrote:I am trying to picture my other half's face if I came home with a picture disc that cost me hundreds of pounds.

Somehow I can't quite see a happy scene.
When I first glanced at your post, with very sleepy eyes, for I have been awake not long; I THOUGHT you wrote " I am trying to have my other half's face put on a picture disc that cost me hundreds of pounds"; but after I reread the sweet gesture (I only imagined through my glazed eyes), I read what you had actually intended.

It would be a very loving gesture, if your other half enjoyed music as I believe you must, to have a photo and spoken words or music that means something very special to you both; THAT could cost several hundred pounds, but after thinking it over; I am fairly certain you could do so for much less.

(So, I guess you better not buy whatever Pic Disc would cost several hundred pounds).
:D
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri May 23, 2014 6:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

sunray wrote:Wow, this thread took a bizarre turn. :shock: :? :roll:
I noticed that as well. Weird. And unfortunate.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Most 1980's Picture Discs tend to be very Brightly Colored, have nice graphics or a photo of the band, or if it is a Sampler, images of the artists who made the LP or 7"/ 10" disc. The disc below, c. 2003 not surprisingly, goes in just the opposite direction. I say "not surprisingly", because of the general subject matter used by this Austrian band - Der Blutharsch. What they have done, and very cleverly I think, is to combine sound effects, old recordings, Marches and Music to create an oftentimes dark vision of WWII or of life's struggles in general, with an emphasis on old Teutonic Legends and imagery. (As usual, I was looking for something ELSE, when I came upon this disc I bought some time ago, and did not realize, by the way it was packaged, that is was a Picture Disc!) This band tends towards low numbers when they press vinyl of any kind, sometimes as low as 30 or up to 1000. Later, much (but not all) of what they have issued will be released on CD. I have always enjoyed what are essentially sound effects, and long ago made several 1 hour long "Movies without Video", using just sound effects and snippets of ambient sounds, so it is THIS factor that led me to obtain "more" recordings from this Austrian band. The Disc below has titles "zetazeroalfa" and the Ancient Roman "SPQR". Interest in "Ambient" sound, I believe, is but one reason I enjoy Brian Eno so very much. :D
Attachments
Der Bluthasrch "zetazeroalfa" 7" Austrian SINGLE showing Mauser equipped Troops of WWII
Der Bluthasrch "zetazeroalfa" 7" Austrian SINGLE showing Mauser equipped Troops of WWII
Der Bluthasrch zetazeroalfa 7 SINGLE 001.jpg (34.72 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
Der Blutharsch "SPQR" 7" Austrian SINGLE w/ imagery of 8mm ammunition and a German so called "potato masher" (shaped) grenade; also imagery of WWII
Der Blutharsch "SPQR" 7" Austrian SINGLE w/ imagery of 8mm ammunition and a German so called "potato masher" (shaped) grenade; also imagery of WWII
Der Blutharsch SPQR 7 AAA 001.jpg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu May 22, 2014 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There was some mention of "shaped" discs; and what I have shown below is an interesting example of a shaped disc that remained uncut; the entire "shaped disc" remains uncut still within the regular disc; AND SUFFERS from another common problem with what I will call "Art Only" Picture Discs, and that is the so called "Tea Staining" effect brought about by autooxidation of one or more of the inside layers that make up the disc. I like David Bowie's recordings, and some years ago, when I purchased a copy of his "The Man Who Sold The World" from the Netherlands, the Dealer included this "oddity" which I am pleased to share with you. I BELIEVE this was a disc w/ "Loving the Alien". Strangely enough, I learned that this type of error was quite sought after by certain people; I know I too have purchased "musical errors" over the years! This is a 12" LP in its current state.

(I later added a "finished" shaped disc for clarity; which you can see is likewise somewhat "tea stained".)
Attachments
David Bowie Loving The Alien Shaped FINISHED Pic Disc
David Bowie Loving The Alien Shaped FINISHED Pic Disc
David+Bowie Loving The Alien Shaped PICTURE DISCaa.jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 8358 times
David Bowie "uncut disc" (1985) with tea staining
David Bowie "uncut disc" (1985) with tea staining
David Bowie uncut disc 1985 with tea stain aaaa.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed May 21, 2014 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Below is a Picture Disc given to me by one of my best friends since grade school. It seems that by the 1980's, (I believe this is from 1978), there was quite a increase in the number and variety of Picture Discs; This somewhat naughty example came with a sheet listing the tracks of Miss Monroe singing from her films and an interview. This is a German STEMRA release; the sound quality is superior to most of this era and type.
Attachments
Marylin Monroe "From Her Films" LP Pic Disc German STEMRA
Marylin Monroe "From Her Films" LP Pic Disc German STEMRA
Marilyn Monroe LP Picture Disc aaa.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

And for the more "ordinary" Pic Disc, a 7" single of "Saint of Me" from the Rolling Stones. When I say "ordinary", I simply mean colorful, graphic design-like construction. I believe this example is from 1998. These discs were numbered examples.
Attachments
Rolling Stones Saint of Me 7 UK aaa.jpg
Rolling Stones Saint of Me 7 UK aaa.jpg (55.13 KiB) Viewed 8550 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have been in Hospital off and on for awhile, and so I was a little bit lazy today - getting discs that were "handy" and not doing much lifting; I am certain that others on this site have some much better discs than I have shown; I really do like the graphics on the Nirvana disc Bzainspace shared earlier. I am interested in them, and will go and (TRY) to find the 1947 example I mentioned. (I keep drawing a blank on EXACTLY where I filed it; I do remember making certain it would not be damaged). HOW we each file recordings could be very enlightening; right now, still short of Cabinets, I have most of the music room floor with at least ONE layer of (short time period) boxed LPs. This is making it a bit harder to find especially the more RECENT purchases! Certainly I could have much worse problems.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

semisynthetic wrote:what I have shown below is an interesting example of a shaped disc that remained uncut; the entire "shaped disc" remains uncut still within the regular disc;
Ta,
never seen one of those. I've seen them in the listings so i knew they existed. Looks pretty much as i imagined.
Heavy Tourism
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

I'v got some picture discs, mostly those 80's interview discs. But this one I like cause of how it looks, never even heard of the band when I bought it ;). (sorry for the crude picture, got a shit mobile phone)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (493.18 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

One can see the Musical appeal in this one, certainly. I learned that this Fratelli Picture Disc is Japanese, made for the UK / EU - a Set of Four Discs en toto. Below is the 1st of the series, although the photo is distorted, the same look is there.

You bring up an important point as well, as I looked through what was some incredible number (hundreds) of Picture Discs for sale one night when I could not sleep; I noticed that the great bulk of them were bands I had never heard of; yet some of the artwork was very nice Graphic Design or some "Pastoral Scene" that would have made a nice art piece regardless of what it had on the discs - and MOST were in the 1980's. I think the cost of the Audiophile waxes must now be so prohibitive that they are simply no longer seen, like so many other items of superior quality that now simply cost more than most people can or are willing to pay, and that is really too bad. When quality CDs can easily cost $30 to $75, I can only imagine what a Picture Wax would necessarily be sold for. However, if you have never heard one of these, you would be impressed! "Picture Disc, Wax" would take on a whole new perspective!
Attachments
The Fratelli's Part 1 of a 4 part set; Japanese pressings made for the UK / EU.
The Fratelli's Part 1 of a 4 part set; Japanese pressings made for the UK / EU.
The Fratellis _1_of_4_set.jpg (38.06 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Unusual...
Attachments
WP_20140521_003.jpg
WP_20140521_003.jpg (238.5 KiB) Viewed 8517 times
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Whats this Mark? Do you have this? Is it an interview disc?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

That is VERY NICE! Thanks for sharing this one. Is this a "authorized" disc or "other"? Regardless, I am pleased to see a copy.
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's a bit of an odd one. It has no music on it at all but is stuff about the Mercury Music Prize I think - from the early 90s. They just grabbed magazine pages and made random one off pic discs. There was no way I wasn't going to buy it!

Got another one actually...
Attachments
WP_20140521_005.jpg
WP_20140521_005.jpg (200.27 KiB) Viewed 8512 times
semisynthetic
Known user

Picture discs

Post by semisynthetic »

Thanks for sharing, runcible; it is not likely one easily obtained! I appreciate seeing it.

WHAT IS SHOWN ON THE REVERSE MARK? IS THERE DATA, OR A LISTING OF SOME TYPE, OR WHITE OR?
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu May 22, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have a extremely boring looking disc that is very interesting in what it IS; Test Pressings of these Picture Discs usually have the image turned "inside out" away from view, leaving only a (usually white) background. The particular example I reached for also has a "wrinkle" inside the disc itself from the image, which does not interfere with the sound, but causes Newtonian Interference, and does not photograph well; I could take a photo of a blurry white plate and it would look about the same! Even so, I thought the information would be of interest to some of you.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed May 21, 2014 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This EAR disc was mentioned earlier; and I agree it is very well done; this is a 10" disc. The (other EAR disc) which was mentioned, I am sorry, but it is on a higher shelf, I will have to retrieve that one later!
Attachments
Experimental Audio Research Sub Aqua 10 PICTURE DISC
Experimental Audio Research Sub Aqua 10 PICTURE DISC
Experimental Audio Research Sub Aqua 10 PICTURE DISCaa.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I DID find an image of the disc I purchased; but unfortunately, it is obscured. I suppose you get the idea, but I'll try to show the disc en toto. I believe these are very well done. (This is an 8" disc).
Attachments
Experimental Audio Research Sub Aqua Tidal Lunar
Experimental Audio Research Sub Aqua Tidal Lunar
Experimental Audio Research Sub Aqua Tidal Lunar autographed 8 RECORDaa.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 8510 times
Paracelsus
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Is there an EAR 'Sub Aqua' 10" or did you just make a mistake? Both photos put up are the same as my 8" version.

I do have a 10" Ausgang pic disc that features EAR on one side and The Plasmodian World of Cantaloupe and Bolles on the other.
There's also the recent EAR 12" pic disc on Dekorder that has the picture on one side and plain black vinyl on the other.

Runci, those Spacemen discs are great. Never even knew of their existence. :mrgreen:
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I've never really bothered with picture discs. I think I only have one or two of them, one bought by mistake and one which might not be a true picture disc.

The one which I got by mistake is the for the Wat Tyler Sexless 7". I thought I was buying the bog standard black vinyl version, but when I got home discovered it was the picture disc:

It made me chuckle, and the pictures are from the booklet that came with the record - basically a p1ss take of the Madonna Sex box.

The other is the Tumor Circus "Meat hook up my rectum" 7 inch which has music on one side and a Clive Barker etch on the other.

Ste
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

semisynthetic wrote:This EAR disc was mentioned earlier; and I agree it is very well done; this is a 10" disc. The which was mentioned, I am sorry, but it is on a higher shelf, I will have to retrieve that one later!
I have an uncut disc of this so it is larger than the copy which was released... Kind of a test pressing I guess.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

stegraham wrote:
The one which I got by mistake is the for the Wat Tyler Sexless 7". I thought I was buying the bog standard black vinyl version, but when I got home discovered it was the picture disc:

It made me chuckle, and the pictures are from the booklet that came with the record - basically a p1ss take of the Madonna Sex box.
Thanks for that! That sleeve made me laugh when it came out and it's nice to be reminded of it again! Sean Tyler (he of the bum piccie) used to be such a laugh when I knew him from Rough Trade - great guy.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:Runci, those Spacemen discs are great. Never even knew of their existence. :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure those are the only copies. Just told semi that the same dealer had other pic discs of the same material but every one had a different image on it, so every copy was unique.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

sunray wrote:Is there an EAR 'Sub Aqua' 10" or did you just make a mistake? Both photos put up are the same as my 8" version.

I do have a 10" Ausgang pic disc that features EAR on one side and The Plasmodian World of Cantaloupe and Bolles on the other.
There's also the recent EAR 12" pic disc on Dekorder that has the picture on one side and plain black vinyl on the other.

Runci, those Spacemen discs are great. Never even knew of their existence. :mrgreen:

Yes, it is indeed a 10" disc; but not a Test Pressing, just a regular disc. 10" in diameter. The 8" was made in the UK, and the 10" disc in the USA - or at least that is how it appears to be.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri May 23, 2014 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another example of TUMOR CIRCUS; a gimmick Promo disc which "You can possess but not play". With such classy songs as "Take Me Back or I'll Kill Our Dog" w/ "Swine Flu". I have had this Promo for years, but tonight I ordered the actual disc I can play; I remember walking through HUGE punk sections, and getting ENORMOUS AMOUNTS of FREE entertainment just reading the titles; what popped up on the screen when I ordered the (2) regular, but different PS versions of this disc kept me laughing for several minutes!
Attachments
Tumor Circus Swine Flu 7 PICTURE DISC Promo gimmick UK
Tumor Circus Swine Flu 7 PICTURE DISC Promo gimmick UK
Tumor Circus Swine Flu 7 PICTURE DISC Promo gimmick.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 8463 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed May 28, 2014 12:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have ordered a number of recordings over the years I knew nothing about, but I like the artwork, only to find I had purchased a Picture Disc; I have purchased a regular disc, and the store or dealer has sent the Pic Disc version sent along with it!
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Below is what is touted as the Rolling Stones 1st (commercial) Picture Disc; a French Disc w/ 2 different lineups of band members, 1 per side. This is a 12" disc; a sort of standard "Portrait" disc. From 1979. A few years later, the central part of this Picture Disc was used as a large label to give the impression THAT disc was also a Picture disc. It is not.
Attachments
Rolling Stones Greatest Hits LP 1st PICTURE DISC France 1979
Rolling Stones Greatest Hits LP 1st PICTURE DISC France 1979
Rolling Stones Greatest Hits LP 1st PICTURE DISC France 1979aaa.jpg (41.24 KiB) Viewed 8469 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This is a disc from Psychic TV, 1988. The first LP's were had very similar jackets; BLACK, with a B&W Photo or Graphic on the front, with Index-Tabs labeled, very library like, History: War: Art: et cetera, this one, which I have never heard, is entitled "Psychedelic Violence"; I had to check, because I simply don't equate the two! The first 5 LP's were sold on Temple Records, made in Iceland; if you bought one of those, there was an insert to send to buy the Pic Disc; I wanted to KEEP the insert, so I wrote it all down on paper and mailed it! Anyway, this one was on a lower shelf! It is #0877/1000. This keeps to the practice they had in their "Band's" early days of pressing 1000 to 5000 TOPS, before going "Commercial" (not really), with "Dreams Less Sweet", pressed in the UK, in 1983. That is a very good "musical" LP; these releases vacillated between "songs and music" and a "Theatre-like approach w/ Music; I will add that what they have done since even the LATE 1980's is NOTHING at all compared to these early c.1979-1981 discs, which I believe are much better - (I should remember that I have not yet heard THIS LP)! I am going to at least for now, think of it as the LATER, more "Circus-Like" period early time of the band. They added more and more people, tried a different experiment that I did not think was as successful and raw as the first 5-7 discs. I have some 7" Pic Discs of this later era, but they are, for now, difficult for me to retrieve (they are too high). Although I DID purchase a few "last" regular recordings, I stopped for the reasons I just gave - the experiment seemed to have failed. I have, however, noticed a resurgence BACK to their early packaging, which is reminiscent of the 1st discs, so I think I'll give them another try.
Attachments
Psychic TV 1988 0877 of 1000 LP10 Psychedelic Violence
Psychic TV 1988 0877 of 1000 LP10 Psychedelic Violence
Psychic TV 1988 0877 of 1000 LP10 Psychedelic Violence aaa.jpg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 8468 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Rather than look through an Archeological Dig, I sat and thought for a few minutes, and voila', "She's Funny that Way", 1947, (67 YEARS ago); Side "A". "Dizzy's Dilemna" is on side B. I haven't had this out in years! This is a 10" disc on "Vogue, The Picture Record" Label. Cool. I bought a box of Gospel 78rpm discs, and this, very carefully wrapped in silk, was in the center of the booklets. The lady I bought them from said "They are TOO heavy"! There were some wonderfully well preserved pieces in that box, she was very sweet. Rarely did I ever go buy recordings from nice little old ladies and not get fed! I bought this way for years, BUT NOT IN YEARS! There was a period when people seemed to long to get rid of 78rpm discs; watching for placement of records for sale in the newspaper almost ALWAYS meant 78rpm discs. I would buy the box or boxes, and usually 70% of the contents or more were something great! I really like this one! The music is very good also; I played it on a "His Master's Voice" player with a "tungsten and saphire" needle. :D

I thought it would sound terrible; but even as a 78rpm, a pic disc and 67 YEARS OLD, it was really nice! VERY 1947!

I MADE AN ERROR!; WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS THE "2" is ACTUALLY a "7", Ergo, the Disc is from 1947! Sorry for the mistake. This is the ONLY Vogue Disc that I own that shows a date!
Attachments
She's Funny That Way 1947 (NOT 1942)  78rpm Charlie Shavers QUINTET, (not quartet).
She's Funny That Way 1947 (NOT 1942) 78rpm Charlie Shavers QUINTET, (not quartet).
She's Funny That Way 1942 78rpm Charlie Shavers Quartet.jpg (102.32 KiB) Viewed 8444 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Picture discs Curved Air's "AIR CONDITIONING"

Post by semisynthetic »

A really nice First Issue copy of Curved Air's "Air Conditioning" Picture Disc arrived a few days ago; (but I just opened packages). I am very pleased! I apologize for my awful photos, the setup I have been using needs a small part, so this was the best I could do right before the Holidays.

This disc is listed as "the first Moderne Picture disc", Listed as c. 1970, and admittedly NOT an audiophile disc, but simply a Beautifully done Picture Disc, I can see and understand why the artist won an award for this work; the "graphic" I borrowed on page 1 is NOT as nice as this disc, (I also understand what that site that said "we use low resolution for...MEANT), because this is really lovely! There is some argument in the data that was not satisfactorily explained. All of the credits are included, but no other data on number pressed. Are there 2000? 5000? 10,000? I have read all of these figures from differing sources; I will opt for 10k for now, anyway. The clarity and the brightness of the colors and the detail in the Artwork are REALLY NICE! My pitiful camera, (and all the plastic) certainly do not do it justice. I will, of course, carefully clean the disc and replace the current protective plastics. After the Holidays, I will also try and improve the images, and replace these. If nothing else, this is an interesting disc for its historical value; but I happen to be a Curved Air fan from way back; but I did not know that this existed! I really like this LP; they used an interesting variety of instruments and had their OWN, distict sound in subsequent releases. (I thanked plastic37 for starting this thread, for the addition of this disc was a truly very nice one for my little "Arkiv").

So, here is, from the UK, c.1970, "Air Conditioning" by Curved Air.

I ADDED a "Close Up" to attempt showing a greater level of DETAIL (even through all the protective layers).This disc is truly an impressive piece of artwork, the entire disc is incredibly detailed; this close-up view also allows a better view of the spindle area, which unlike other copies I saw, appears well cared for, even "new looking", with very little use observed, always a good sign in a used disc.
Attachments
Curved Air  Pic Disc 1970 Detailed "Close Up" of side A; BEAUTIFUL DETAIL of central disc and spindle area
Curved Air Pic Disc 1970 Detailed "Close Up" of side A; BEAUTIFUL DETAIL of central disc and spindle area
Curved Air Pic Disc 1970 Close Up Side A.jpg (231.99 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
Curved Air Pic Disc Side A
Curved Air Pic Disc Side A
Curved Air Pic Disc Side Aaa.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
Curved Air Pic Disc Side B
Curved Air Pic Disc Side B
Curved Air Pic Disc Side B.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:12 am, edited 13 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am curious to see if the graphic on side "B" is marked to set the proper rpm's; likely not, but it is an interesting thought. The patterns should give SOME sort of rhythmic whirl when spinning!
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:This EAR disc was mentioned earlier; and I agree it is very well done; this is a 10" disc. The which was mentioned, I am sorry, but it is on a higher shelf, I will have to retrieve that one later!
I have an uncut disc of this so it is larger than the copy which was released... Kind of a test pressing I guess.
I saw a copy of this EAR picture disc today. $9.99 I believe it was? I didn't buy it though.

I agree that the Curved Air album definitely has beautiful mandala cover art (even on its standard black wax LP). That's the reason why I bought it years ago.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Here's a photo of my Love picture disc that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Rhino Records put this out in 1982 pressed on clear vinyl. The music is from a show at the Whiskey A Go Go in Oct. 1978. I've always loved these '66 photos taken for the 1st/2nd LP covers & used for various band promos.
Love pd.jpg
Love pd.jpg (165 KiB) Viewed 8422 times
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

redcloud wrote: I've always loved these '66 photos taken for the 1st/2nd LP covers & used for various band promos.
me too. I like the way these pics appeared in various variations on a couple of records. When i found out more about Love and their lifestyle it made sense. The photos backed up the stories and demonstrate a certain willfulness.
The other thing i remember about encountering those photos was wondering: "which one is Arthur Lee?"
semisynthetic wrote:A really nice copy of Curved Air's "Air Conditioning" Picture Disc arrived a few days ago;
Very groovy. I checked out the standard LP picture sleeve and was left wondering which idea came first. Did the production meeting conversation go:
We want it to be a picture disc
or
Wow, we could make that into a picture disc.

I'm guessing the former, although i'm probably only a few clicks away from a wiki answer.

This thread has led me to revisit a couple of interview picture discs i own from the 1980s. What a rip off!
Heavy Tourism
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

plastic37 wrote:[
The other thing i remember about encountering those photos was wondering: "which one is Arthur Lee?"
I'm sure you know by now...but, for those who don't - Arthur is the one in sunglasses. 8)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

redcloud wrote:
plastic37 wrote:[
I'm sure you know by now...but, for those who don't - Arthur is the one in sunglasses. 8)
I remember the same problem. Reading about Love when I was about 14 was the first time I saw the word "mulatto" (sp?) and it took some time to understand ... seems strange now, in the age of the internet and instant answers.

Those photos are really cool. Wish the copies I had were that big - mine are all from CD case booklets ("Comes in Colours" compilation accompanying booklet and special edition CD "Forever Changes"). Would love a poster print of one of those pictures ;)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

plastic37 wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:A really nice copy of Curved Air's "Air Conditioning" Picture Disc arrived a few days ago;
Very groovy. I checked out the standard LP picture sleeve and was left wondering which idea came first. Did the production meeting conversation go:
We want it to be a picture disc
or Wow, we could make that into a picture disc.

I'm guessing the former
I believe this is the correct answer; for this would have been a substancial project, and likely been a bit of a "labor of love"; it is clear NOW that Picture Discs are not "new", but following this "Curved Air" disc, there was a "renaissance" of sorts with this release, and certainly a great deal of these discs in the late 1970's and during the 1980's.

Personally, I like the sort of "fusion" between Art and Music these discs offer, perhaps they ARE often a gimmick; I do wish the waxes and "wax-like" discs and those other of superior sound were more well known, but they are no doubt cost prohibitive in the current economic environment. If a "picture is worth a 1000 words", then surely this would have been a boon to getting a Band BETTER known in the most direct way; the Iconic "Dark Side of the Moon" Picture Discs (and there are MANY), need not contain an insert to tell you what you are looking at or may obtain, (even if the other side generally does have a listing).
The "Fratelli" disc, a page or so back, is similar; a certain "visual appeal" and a clever title make this a disc that would likely be more memorable than a simple jacketed EP or LP. - The real shame is the inability to continue to provide these Pic discs that have truly superior sound that more people could afford. It is a real step backwards in some ways; much like 12" 78rpm discs that, in their day, might cost $7.50 - a tremendous sum at that time, and so, very few ever existed - they were were simply beyond the ability of most people to purchase and enjoy.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Buying a recording in 1904. $3 to $4 could buy a Cow AND calf, so think hard when you try to translate the relative cost comparison with today! (This label is on the blank side of a one sided disc; The $7.50 discs were simply too tiny in print for me to capture the image well).
Attachments
$3 RED SEAL RCA 1904
$3 RED SEAL RCA 1904
$3 RED SEAL RCA 1904aa.jpg (231.15 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

stegraham wrote:I've never really bothered with picture discs. I think I only have one or two of them, one bought by mistake and one which might not be a true picture disc.

The other is the Tumor Circus "Meat hook up my rectum" 7 inch which has music on one side and a Clive Barker etch on the other.

Ste
The ENTIRE Package here is GREAT; a fold around sleeve that makes for a damned unusual "Mini-Poster", an insert, and this ETCHED "B" Side of "Meathook...". On Alternative Tentacles (where else?) I placed a green Polymer sheet OVER the etching and it came out much Clearer. It is hard to photograph black vinyl when I have such primitive equipment! But, you get the idea.

I find a subtle Irony in the "etched Angel" of over 100 years ago, and Clive Barker's etched disc that is hard to put into words.
Attachments
TUMOR CIRCUS etching by Clive Barker 7 Disc w GREEN POLYMER FILTER
TUMOR CIRCUS etching by Clive Barker 7 Disc w GREEN POLYMER FILTER
TUMOR CIRCUS etching by Clive Barker 7 Disc w GREEN POLYMER FILTER 001.jpg (46.85 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Yep, that's the one! Jello Biafra has been in, and worked with, some great bands since he left the DKs. Tumor Circus, Lard, DOA, NoMeansNo, Mojo Nixon etc. His latest band Guantanamo School of Medicine has released a couple of cracking albums. :D

As a result of this thread I've gone through my vinyl to see if I did have anymore picture discs, but didn't find any. However, thinking back I'm sure I used to have a Paisley Park (Prince) picture disc. I was a big Prince fan back in the Purple Rain and Around the World in a Day period. I don't know what happened to the disc. I've just googled it and found this. It looks really familiar and I'm sure I used to own it (blimey 29 years ago!!!):

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

stegraham wrote:Yep, that's the one! Jello Biafra has been in, and worked with, some great bands since he left the DKs. Tumor Circus, Lard, DOA, NoMeansNo, Mojo Nixon etc. His latest band Guantanamo School of Medicine has released a couple of cracking albums. :D
I have been collecting the delightfully twisted works of Jello Biafra et al since the beginning, and I think the "over the top antics" has sometimes overshadowed an incredible talent; for example, this etched disc is one of a great many I own, but I must say, that NONE of the other "artistic, ooh aahh" discs have this sort of Uniquely Primitive artwork. Yet, ALL of the Dead Kennedy's Singles, and LPs/EPs have WONDERFUL artwork and "extras" - especially in the early 1st issues.....

I would like to draw attention to a live ROIO LP called "A Skateboard Party"; excellent sound, and all of the coarse remarks and so on; but inbetween two "musically obvious DK songs" they let go with an intro from a Yes song that so surprised me for the quality of play, I was forever after listening to the details that I probably had overlooked, for what is, for me, essentially entertainment with an intellectual undercurrent that I believe many people overlook, just as I overlooked their obvious and unique talent. Jello is an unusual, but very intelligent and thoughtful person.
I have a section of "Jello Punk" that includes the bands you mentioned, but I have yet to enjoy several of the releases, especially a "NoMeansNo" LP I have had for sometime.

There is a new Box Set of their singles available, but I noticed the "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" single is LACKING the Swastika Armband; if this appeasement is for "politically correct reasons", (or maybe they just could not show the icon without legal hassles), I don't know. MOST of these singles were pressed in France or the UK anyway, and so the "Box set" is "incomplete" without having the variations from different countries. Still, I am amused, and PLEASED that a band I first found humorous and thought would be a Punk "Buggles", is still selling their brand of "Happy go Weirdly" all these years later. A GREAT PROMO Video DVD to find is "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Eyeballs", which gives some insight into this unique world.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus