Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

Laz69
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by Laz69 »

My son is an Arsenal fan and he was shitting himself all game for fear they wouldn't win. At 2-2 he had a feeling they were going to sneak it but he still breathed a huge sigh of relief at the end!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i watched a.madrid vs barce instead- very good game, congratulations to madrid! then i watched the german cup final- dismal game
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I'm really happy! Sadly, I did not get to see the match because I was doing my Level 1 coaching for UK ice hockey.

Great ending to a disastrous start.

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!
Design.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Geez, I don't know if this is true or not ? But, YaYa Toure's agent stated that he might leave City over a birthday "snub". He received a cake last week in Abu Dubai for his birthday (31 y.o.), but no congratulations or handshake from management or players or something like that. I, guess he felt 'disrespected' ? Samething he said earlier this year when he wasn't acknowledged for his performance and pinned that on race. He should get some thick skin. These players are too rich and too pampered.

http://news.yahoo.com/toure-could-leave ... 30879.html
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

His agent does this every summer. He signed a 4 year deal last summer, so he's gonna struggle to get out of that unless there's some serious money coming in. Yaya never helps matters himself, he's a right mard arse.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

the toure thing is unfairly overshadowing the scudamore affair. that guy.. jeez, i find people like him depressing. they're not even uncommon either. just indicative of the rotten attitudes prevalent not just in football but in most walks of business & life. ugh. it's really not that hard to not be so stupid. he was given the chance to do the right thing after the fact & he passed & then so did the premier league & now it's just still rolling on. if he had just admitted he was wrong & resigned we could've moved on. now tho.. it'll just drag & drag until he finally leaves.
if he'd jumped when he was pushed there was some chance of a change. oh well. so it goes.

toure?
hilarious stuff.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Cantona says what should be said.More high profile football people should follow his example.it is a scandal that there are already 400 dead.If the current rate continues more than 4000 workers will die before completion.

http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/eric-ca ... el-platini

“Blatter begins to say it’s true Qatar is a bad idea, but it was an idea of Platini. It was also Platini who gave the European Championship under-21 in Israel, which is also disrespectful to the level of human rights,” Cantona told Le Parisien.

The decision to award the World Cup in 2022 to Qatar has come under fire for a number of reasons, among them, the climate, the appalling treatment of the migrant workforce, not to mention the absence of any football culture within the gulf state.

“In Qatar, there is absolutely nothing to develop, no potential. It is a small country in terms of population. People are absolutely not interested in the sport, never will,” he stated.

That’s a little harsh on the people of Qatar. Interest is there, but whether there is enough to justify the emirate hosting the sport’s global showpiece is another matter.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

For once Cantona, I agree w/ you. This topic has already been discussed before ( i believe in another thread ). Qatar is way too small a country to host it by itself. The most basic question that I can't believe they haven't considered or thought enough of - WEATHER. All World Cups are held in the summer to avoid the fall league schedules, but they never thought the weather might be too hot ?! Corruption at it's highest level. I heard that the French and German govt's persuaded FIFA to award the WC to them, perhaps related to oil, etc. ? Who is going to go if alchohol is not served ? Religious tolerance is not welcomed. And to mention the slave labor that they are using. The stadiums are still underway and I don't know if FIFA can pull the WC from under them without any repercussions.

The YaYa story is gaining more traction than necessary. Now Chelsea/Arsenal are interested in his services. Could be the agent's fault in stirring this mess ?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

yaya wants more money, or his agent does. they should tell him to go f himself

if fifa had ethics they would pull the brasil world cup. the public don't want it and the tax payer is being bled for stadiums miles outside of cities which don't have football teams. i'm loosing interest in it all to be honest

if you are intersted in football, may i recomend the world football phone in. experts talking expertly about football and all that goes around it (cultural, social etc)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wf

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Well, Brazil is too late (22 days before WC), but Qautar can be stopped. The games can still be played in the summer, 8am anyone ?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Incredibly strange to see a side pay a reported £50m for David Luiz. Some say £40m, but even that... wow. He is exceptionally bad at defending when compared to most top-level centre backs. Great going forward, and a handy defensive midfield player, but still nowhere near that kind of money. I am amazed. Makes you wonder how much someone would bid for Kompany should they be determined enough.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I question Diego Simeone's strategy of defending the (1) goal lead and not continue with the attacking/counter-attacking in the first half. Certainly Gareth Baled them out ( no pun intended ) when in fact he had 2-3 good shots on goal that just went wide.
Real should win with that payroll :cry:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think Atletico did go for it as much as they could with the 1 goal lead. The last 30 minutes they were absolutely exhausted, though. Maybe this was just 1 game too many for them, a real shame to see it slip late on but their extra time performance was woeful, some of the worst performances you could see at that level. You can't be too hard on them I guess, but you have to say that Real dug deep to find that extra energy late on, and maybe Atletico were busy feeling sorry for themselves. Adrian was poor for most of the game, but was probably their only performer during extra time.

Really poor commentary on ITV last night, particularly when Bale scored and Andy Townsend shouted GET IN. Did he have a bet on them? I mean, he's Irish, Bale's Welsh and Madrid Spanish.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

last week a.m had to use up their reserves (literally as well- loosing two players) to win la leiga. real, for the last three/four weeks hav ehad nothing to play for. a.m lost due to their title victory. what a bitter disapointment

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pity Atletico lost, was really hoping they could hold on. Apparently their wage bill is lower than QPR's!

Ronaldo acting the twat again when he scored :roll: I am also amazed that the most expensive player in the world, Gareth Bale, still can't use his right foot for anything other than standing up. Why aren't these players made practice until they're equally good with both feet? That's what George Best did after all. And not because he was forced to either, but did it off his own bat to make himself an even better player.

I thought the ref had a good game though. Let a lot go, which was nice to see. Hopefully refs in the World Cup will follow suit, but I doubt it.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Being reported by a few sources that Mata is set to leave Utd for Barcelona? £40m apparently, which is a great deal for united. Can't believe that price!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just seemed like one of those games where the bigger team wore the other down. It was a shame Atletico Madrid couldn't hold on for a few more minutes. Once Real scored that second goal it was over. You could just feel the wind knocked out of Atletico Madrid. Shame really. Especially on that third goal.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, like I mentioned last week, I would have loved Athletico to beat Barca and Real ( at least one happened ). A small club against the GIANTS. The last 20 minutes of the match, Real just took possession and it seemed inevitable that they would score. Bale saved Casillas. Casillas was in a bad position with that first goal.

Regarding D.Luiz and J.Mata - alot of silly money will be thrown over the summer. Wait until after the WC then the transfer market will heat up, I still think Gareth Bale ( among others ) have been overpayed. It'll be interesting to see what players United will get ...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think though, when you look at Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero, Suarez, Bale... Maybe Falcao had he of gone to a more marketable team... They bring in huge money as well as costing it, so relatively it isn't that bad a deal. Sponsorship and shirt sales and stuff like that means they bring in a whole lot of money, David Luiz isn't really the picture of commercial appeal, and he isn't exactly a player that could win you a multi million pound game. Mostly, I don't think Luiz or Mata are good enough to warrant such fees.

City often get lumped in with PSG when it comes to spending, but they are on a whole other level in that they aren't spending so much on facilities, the community, and ways to make the club self sufficient in future. City have a really good foundation in place now and are set to break even this year, with profit to come over the next few years gradually on a higher level. I understand FFP repays the majority of the fine if this is the case, which shows they do at least take some notice if the money is being spent wisely and not putting the club in danger. PSG it will be interesting to see how it goes next year, because the owner said he will do what he wants and spend what he wants, and has already started to do so immediately after the fine.

Liverpool apparently in for Lallana, Fonte, Richards, Milner... All good players but not what I would see as signings to take Liverpool to the next level. People complain about not enough english players, but even when top clubs with plenty uk players are performing well, they are often the players that are most replaceable other than the small amount of world class players we have.

I would really like to have some great english players available, but they demand ridiculous fees because people are obsessed with the idea of them. Also, they just ain't that great! City's new training complex looks mightily impressive, so hopefully that will mark the start of a new era of us producing top class homegrown (not necessarily english) players. We have brought through many though, Onuoha, Ireland, Barton... Not great though, you can see why we went with the "foreigners".
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

can't really say real overpaid for bale now. guy's cemented his place in the clubs history.
50 for sideshow bob is p funny tho. & considering PSG spend 20-40mil each summer on new defenders you gotta wonder..

was really turned off by the champions league final. kinda game i wished neither team would've won.
re: atleti - it's more up for debate: you don't really want to see a team winning w/the style of football they play but also given their resources they kinda have to play like that. disappointed for their fans. it's terrible being the underdog & then having the moment snatched from you like that. my team got a hiding on sat night in the gaelic football so it was a p glum day.
likewise madrid: really pleased for ancelotti, thought modric had a great game, but there's so much to that club & some of their players that is utterly w/o grace or decorum. one of the more loathsome sporting institutions.

re: bringing thru english players - yea it's easier to develop young foreign homegrown talent. it seems to be an attitude problem as much as anything else. michael johnson is a name that immediately springs to mind tho i'm sure there's a dozen others.
i saw niall quinn on a few months back talking about when he was at sunderland - they were looking at an irish lad & simon mignolet & obv opted for mignolet. quinn said the decision wasn't based on talent but rather the attitude of the young man, mignolet apparently said to sunderland they had to make room for him studies & life away from football whereas the irish lad was distracted & didn't carry the same professional potential. i'd say that's prob accurate across the board. there needs to be a cultural shift, akin to when the foreign players first came over to the premiership & curbed the [drinking] culture, that needs to filter down if the british isles are going to start producing footballers playing for the top clubs.

re: city/PSG comparison
citys owners were outlandish when they first came in. it was only when they cottoned on to the bad press they were getting they changed tact. remember all the brouhaha about signing kaka? maybe french football doesn't have the voices to denounce the behaviour of PSG. English football does a better job than most of policing itself - tho it's nowhere near what it should be as the scudamore thing shows.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The Kaka signing thing was a bit daft, but again at the time he was one of these players that could almost pay for himself. We pulled the plug cause he was being a dick, shame we didn't do that with a few others. I would loathe to have paid that much money for him, though.

City's owners have always made a point of making the club self sufficient and to develop the youth facilities and build the best academy/facilities in the uk, if not the world. Yes, they did some daft signings at the start but there was always that other focus running side by side with it.

For the record, I'm not trying to attack PSG, I have always been quite fond of them and have been to see them a couple of times before the takeover. Both 0-0 draws, those were the days. Not the best fans in the world, mind.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

MON THE ACCIES!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Didn't listen to this but have watched the coverage a bit.
My opinion, Klinnsman was hired to do a job. He has every right to pick whom he wants to play for him. He is the coach.
End of story.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The Dr wrote:us fans, any thoughts?
Not surprised in the slightest. The time comes when an older "star" has to bow out and let the younger players have their moment. It happens to them all. Klinnsman simply helped make that decision happen quicker. I remember a similar debate and media overreaction when Beckham's time came and he was left off the England squad.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Lambert to Liverpool, with fee possibly rising to 8 million. He's 32, this just seems insane to me. Better signings to be had, hell, why not keep Borini over him?
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

James T wrote:Lambert to Liverpool, with fee possibly rising to 8 million. He's 32, this just seems insane to me. Better signings to be had, hell, why not keep Borini over him?
He's a deceptively decent footballer. We're not in a position to be able to have four £20m plus strikers at the club, so to have an experienced centre forward, with a record of premier league goals, playing in a decent footballing side as 3rd/4th choice forward for £4m looks good business.

It's obviously slightly underwhelming as a kick-off to our the summer transfer business, but hopefully there may be more to follow (mostly from Southampton from the sounds of it) and clearly a better option than Aspas or Borini. Not sure whether Borini will be retained - he did ok-ish at Sunderland, but we may look to recoup whatever we can on him and send him back t Italy.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm not saying he isn't "decent", but to go out ad spend money like that on a 32 your old that only scored 13 goals last season, and has generally played in the lower leagues for most of his career seems really really odd to me. I really think getting Eto'o on a free would be better, not that I'd recommend it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Lambert, Lallana....wait until Liverpool find out there are another 25 letters in the alphabet.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Most Liverpool fans I know don't expect to have as good a season next time out, but I see no reason why not if they make 2 top quality signings. Lallana would be a great squad player for maybe £!5 million, but for £25 million, insane. You could go abroad and buy a better player for that. Lambert maybe work out to be not so bad but only because the wages are a lot less than signing a big name on a free. Still odd for me though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Crazy money alright.

Plus, it's defenders we need, not more attacking options. :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Need an extra 2 maybe cover for attacking positions with extra games next year, but yeah you need a right back and a left back. I think Sakho can become a great player, but he was real poor at times last year. Between them skrtl and agger should be able to a do a job. Maybe it's a real quality holding midfielder you need, I don't like Lucas.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Rodgers as been given the green light for massive spending to solidify the squad and is only the beginning. It'll be interesting to see the summer transfer market after the WC with City, Chelsea, LFC and United grabbing players.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Apparently city's plan is to do all business before the world cup, but there seems to be issues sorting out the centre back position.

I also read in the local paper that there are only 4 signings planned. A keeper as Pantillimon has now left, left back (sagna on a free), midfielder (fernando from porto, £17 million as they forced him to sign a new deal or be sent to reserves in a world cup year), and a centre back (mangala who they're trying to hold us to ransom for, also the chap from roma who are also trying to pull our pants down).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

James T wrote:City does empty about 5 minutes early a lot of the time, unless there is a lot on the line in those last 5 minutes! I do it to, it makes it over an hour quicker to get out. Because of where it was built, most of the parking is unofficial or on side streets that get full and blocked in, it is a nightmare if you leave once the whistle has gone.
My GOD. You weren't kidding. I had to pick up my kids from the One Direction gig last night (sold my own ticket) and had without doubt the most miserable car journey of my life out of Manchester. I parked in that Asda car park just over Alan Turing Way as an early reconnaissance drive up there at about 7 p.m. made it look OK. Except they blocked all the roads off as the gig finished (no warnings given) so getting back there took an age at about 9.45. Then it took us over an hour to get out of the car park itself - real carnage in there and a few near-fight incidents with people barging in. Then close to another hour to get out of central Manchester - all dug up and unprepared for the 1D hoards. Got home at 1.40 a.m. which is a 3 hour trip from Manchester to Leeds. The 2 initially giddy but exhausted teenagers in the car tried to keep their spirits up but it wasn't easy with only 5 miles covered in almost 2 hours. I've never witnessed a more badly organised traffic situation.

My first - and definitely last - visit to that hell-hole!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:Most Liverpool fans I know don't expect to have as good a season next time out, but I see no reason why not if they make 2 top quality signings. Lallana would be a great squad player for maybe £!5 million, but for £25 million, insane. You could go abroad and buy a better player for that. Lambert maybe work out to be not so bad but only because the wages are a lot less than signing a big name on a free. Still odd for me though.
it's pronounced lamber with an accent. the finest french export since the king

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The WC in Qatar is in jeopardy while their hosting has been a debate for quite some time : bidding and worker wages/conditions/deaths. With regard to the scandal of bribery ( in excess of $5 million has been floated ) with numerous FIFA executives given a handout, this might be a good thing ? There was already mention of bribery in the beginning, as well as the admitted truth of a "mistake" in them hosting due to the weather ( summer heat ) and the debacle of moving the WC to winter where it would clash with domestic schedules. This in fact, could be a good thing for FIFA. They've been trying to get out of this for quite some time and they are talking about a possible " re-vote " that could strip Qatar of hosting in 2022, along with the sacking of Blatter. If they do strip Qatar as the host country, then what country could host ? It is only 8 years away and stadiums/infrastructure would have to be in place. You really can't start from scratch like Brazil. Someone threw out Australia ?
Makes sense in several ways : (1) hosting in the summer will actually be there winter (s.hemisphere) and I think weather wise it would be mild and perfect. (2) stadiums are in place, why not use cricket/rugby stadiums along with a very good transit system ( motorways, subways, up-to-date airports, plenty of available hotels, etc. (3) they never hosted before (4) great atmosphere and location ( beer will be availble ) !!! Sorta makes sense.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote: There was already mention of bribery in the beginning, as well as the admitted truth of a "mistake" in them hosting due to the weather ( summer heat ) and the debacle of moving the WC to winter where it would clash with domestic schedules.
Firstly there have been bribery allegations about pretty much every World Cup for donkeys years. Previous president João Havelange was totally corrupt, but then FIFA are complete bunglers and run by apparently stupid people. How they thought the Russian winning bid would not be seen through is beyond me. It was so ludicrously obvious that corruption had taken place.

As for your second point I refer back to the one I just made about FIFA being stupid. The sheer idiocy of not thinking ahead about the climate in Qatar properly is stupidity beyond belief.

A friend of mine - many, many years ago - tried to get a job at the FA when Ted Croker ran it. My friend was told by Ted Croker - and this is absolutely true - that he was 'too intelligent to work in football'. Eh? Bizarre. No wonder football lags behind other sports in terms of development and technology. Curiously this same friend went on to write several books about football and worked for various football related TV programmes, so it seems his intelligence served him well.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

not sure whether they are stupid or just so brass necked that they don't care about corruption allegations so long as they get the money in the back pocket?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr wrote:not sure whether they are stupid or just so brass necked that they don't care about corruption allegations so long as they get the money in the back pocket?
That's stupid in my book. They don't think people will rumble them which is bizarre as it's starting to unravel now and will keep doing so. The problem is they do their own investigations into the allegations and then come to the conclusion that 'no wrong-doing took place'. Or they make the culprit - Jack Warner for instance - resign so they don't actually have to carry out any investigation at all. I find it astonishing that they get away with it. The elephant in the room is that everyone - including them - knows bribery is taking place but they keep pretending it doesn't. But no one does anything. Maybe the Sunday Times' revelations will finally be their undoing and football can emerge from the dark ages.

Actually I think all of the 3 major football organisations - FIFA, UEFA and the FA - are pretty much inept and incompetent. And stupid. Ted Croker pretty much told my mate as much!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Well, yeah I think all major events have some corruption involved, including corruption for the bid/hosting for the Salt Lake Winter Olympics in the U.S., where Olympic representatives were given visas, scholarships, etc. for their children to attend american universities for their vote. I think they knew about the weather, but when someone puts $ 5 million in your pocket you tend to look the other way. I forgot that NZ could also be co-host, I'm sure they would want to be part of that. It'll be the first for that area ( Oceania ) to host and admittedly be too much fun. World Cup in Australia/New Zealand. A meat pie and a pint of cold lager watching the final at the MCG - Melbourne Cricket Grounds !!!

Runcie, I'm pretty sure it's all corrupt and usually it is 'ignored' and the games play on and later people will forget about it. HOWEVER, I really do think that FIFA screwed up and really want to get out of the situation. I really don't they really care about the workers safety anyways ( low wages/deaths ) , but are more concerned with the weather. It is too damm hot and the second alternative of moving it to winter is not plausible for disrupting the domestic league, clash with the winter olympics (2022) - a site has not been chosen yet along with renewing/figuring out television rights. At this point, they really don't mind the scandal as long as they can figure a way to get out of the deal and that is too reveal corruption themselves. Admit that executives took a bribe and ' re-vote ' and choose another host ....
Last edited by spacemanrich on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

An Australian World Cup would be a great idea. They have the stadiums and a great crowd of people who would create terrific atmosphere.

When I was in Melbourne I lived in a flat on Alexandra Avenue overlooking the MCG. Used to cycle right past it on my way to work. Long time ago mind.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

OI ! Watching and partying with Aussies/Kiwis enjoying the Final at the mighty MCG ( capacity 100, 024 ) !
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

runcible wrote:
James T wrote:City does empty about 5 minutes early a lot of the time, unless there is a lot on the line in those last 5 minutes! I do it to, it makes it over an hour quicker to get out. Because of where it was built, most of the parking is unofficial or on side streets that get full and blocked in, it is a nightmare if you leave once the whistle has gone.
My GOD. You weren't kidding. I had to pick up my kids from the One Direction gig last night (sold my own ticket) and had without doubt the most miserable car journey of my life out of Manchester. I parked in that Asda car park just over Alan Turing Way as an early reconnaissance drive up there at about 7 p.m. made it look OK. Except they blocked all the roads off as the gig finished (no warnings given) so getting back there took an age at about 9.45. Then it took us over an hour to get out of the car park itself - real carnage in there and a few near-fight incidents with people barging in. Then close to another hour to get out of central Manchester - all dug up and unprepared for the 1D hoards. Got home at 1.40 a.m. which is a 3 hour trip from Manchester to Leeds. The 2 initially giddy but exhausted teenagers in the car tried to keep their spirits up but it wasn't easy with only 5 miles covered in almost 2 hours. I've never witnessed a more badly organised traffic situation.

My first - and definitely last - visit to that hell-hole!
Yup, you got it!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Keeps getting better by the hour. Now, the Football Federation of Australia is " assisting FIFA " in the investigation. Victorian Premier Denis Napthine stated, " "I would love to see the soccer World Cup come to Australia and I think the MCG and Melbourne would be ready to host an event of that significance," Napthine said.

I read the Age every morning (out of Melbourne) and this article touches upon the allegations, payoffs in regards to Qatar :
http://www.theage.com.au/fifa-world-cup ... 39ewb.html

It might come true ...
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

are you insinuating that people with great wealth which has never been conclusively proven to have been earned properly, who live in a country with 95% below or on the poverty line, a country that has inhumane tempertures, has no real sporting infastructure or infastructure of any kind, possibly only got a summer world cup by acting illegally?

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Opening fixtures for City look difficult. Newcastle away to start, then over the next 4 or 5 games we have chelsea and arsenal; not to mention Liverpool being our first home game of the season. The end of season run in does look a lot kinder to us than some though, so that is a bonus. The derby is at home first again this season, in November.

Nervous and excited. The start of the season is a really great chance to show what we can do over the season, and what we can do to our rivals. Get those out of the way with a small lead, and we should be good to go through to New Year at the top. If we play well and deserve it, of course. But we were like 5th/6th in december at points last year, the bad away games start is the only thing that stopped us having a healthy lead for the final part of the season.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Nice piece here about the city owner completing a £1billion deal with the council to build 6000 new homes in run down parts of Manchester. - "It is hoped the phase one will also create demand for retail, leisure and commercial developments that will create thousands of jobs for locals."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ug-7313788

They've done a lot for the city, not just bought expensive players and won a few trophies.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

It's prob just a way for them to get round the whole FFP issue like selling stadium naming rights and sponsorship deals to the owners mates :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Of course.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Not even July yet and it is already a successful window. Two great signings already.

Big money for Shaw, but we've got our starting left back for the next decade.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

big day for southampton too - £50+mil deposited in the bank if the lallana/liverpool thing is true coupled w/shaw @ 27mil..

yea the thing about shaw is hopefully it works out as a long term investment. even still, that's ridiculous money for a fullback/18y.o. & the wages he's on.. big investment. big investment in potential.. dunno. more power to them tho hope it works out.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Played a blinder there getting £30 mil and £25 mill for them two, Southampton.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

James T wrote:Played a blinder there getting £30 mil and £25 mill for them two, Southampton.
They need to try harder. We got £27 million for Fellani :lol: :lol: :lol: and dare I mention the fee for Rodwell (who is great but is always injured). £30 million for a left back is good business though.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

berbatov...

plus eto'oand 40 million for zatan...

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Rodwell is well worth 12 million when fit, shame about his problems. Brilliant for us when he has played, particularly vs west ham, Chelsea and Norwich.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Southampton can now buy three Dani Osvaldo'!

I'm sure they'd have preferred to keep there better players and now with rumours of Lovren and Rodriguez...it's fine having ~£60-£90m available but difficult to get the right players in...see Spurs last season.

Keeping an eye on whats happening with two Italian clubs undergoing facilities expansion.
Juventus have got some financing to get the Continassa Project moving ~180m EUR over the next few years
Similarly Roma with the new Stadio Della Roma (subject to selling naming rights) will see loans as well as equity used to build the ~300m EUR complex
So potentially one of Pogba but feel more likely Vidal will be on the move but interesting if either Benatia or Strootman would move after one season in Rome.

Chelsea appear to be conducting themselves very well in the market; having recouped ~£40m for a dud they've signed a couple very good ones.
Barcelona have spent a fortune ~150m EUR
Bayern Munich have played a blinder getting Lewandowski for nothing and recouping ~20m EUR for Mandzukic
PSG went early for the dud but they'll go again for someone who was in the latter stages of the World Cup or the curve ball
Which will potentially allow the Real Madrid merry go round to happen

The most curious signing for me is that of Fernando with Manchester City...James T any thoughts why?
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

We needed a midfielder. Javi Garcia hasn't always been upto the job, rodwell is likely to leave and always injured. it just makes sense to have 3 good quality midfielders for those holding positions we have. Also, even if Yaya stays which I think he will, he's 21 years old and we can't overplay him and fernandinho like we did last year. Ferna was a great great signing but he did tire for the latter stages of the season and garcia had to step in. I also think having a strong holding midfielder will be a big benefit in the champions league. Fernando is more of a De Jong type player, and we have needed a tough nut like that since losing him.

We need a centre back, and it looks like we've got that tied up with Mangala.

Need to get rid of 1 of our foreign players, I would get rid of clichy and have Rekik as our rotation left back. Played nearly every game for PSV last year and also was in the dutch provisional world cup squad, at 19 years old. Not bad. He did play for us a few times when just 17 and I really rated him, he will be a great great player.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

I had wondered if the signing was to do with Yaya. I'm not sure why he is so restless; he's at a club that is competing on all fronts and unlike other pop-up clubs, he's at one that is having a real go at establishing a proper legacy.
In your opinion is he settled in his position? He seemed to be afforded more freedom when Fernandinho played but am I right in thinking that during bigger games Pellegrini at least likes him to start deeper?

Fair point on Garcia and Rodwell and Gareth Barry now gone does leave it a little light in that position should Yaya or Fernandinho suffer injury.

I haven't seen much of Mangala but have seen his physique. What of Nastasic? Still injured? What's the view on him as I'd personally bite your hand off for him. Decent defenders are a bit thin on the ground and I'm dismayed with having a link to Garay for a few seasons he's off to Russia.

I'd agree with you on Clichy...he's a strange player and I felt the weakest of your team at Old Trafford in March.
I take it City will be able to name 5 home grown for the ECL...think they've 6 in the first team squad.
If you were Manuel Pellegrini and got £10m for Clichy...which home grown player would you attempt to sign?

Cheers
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I don't think we'd get more than a few million for Clichy, if that. He's in his last season or 2 now and has no sell on value for any potential buyer and also a big wage. Nastasic I think it a great player but he's definitely gone backwards in his development. I'd not get rid of him, Demichelis is only going to last 1 season more and Nastasic at top level could easily show himself to be a better option once the season is underway. You do need 4 top centre backs anyhow, and kompany often gets little injuries and misses a few games. If we were to buy a homegrown player I would want barkley, but I think he should only come if yaya leaves, otherwise it isn't worthwhile for him as he wouldn't play enough. Could sign him and loan him back to everton for 1 year as part of the agreement I guess.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

An interesting choice in Barkley and I think loaning him back for even two years would pay dividends.
Certainly Chelsea appear to have had success with Courtois using that philosophy.
I don't see (but perhaps I'm I'll informed) the skill set at City yet to allow younger players to blossom. The reserve league isn't really working and like you say Yaya would need to leave to make the most of signing him.

I think you'd get a turn on Clichy...when you see how much players with ECL and moderate international experience are going for. I was thinking Ryan Shawcross as I still think City (even once they've signed Mangala or Benatia) are light in the centre of defence.
Thought De Michelis was sound at the WC and generally has been consistent but he ain't getting younger, Nastasic has missed almost a full season and therefore there's a real need to keep Kompany fit and suspension free.
Shawcross isn't a marquee signing but he is steady enough in the EPL and can be deployed as protector in front of the back line. Maybe doesn't make sense when you think about in terms of playing Barcelona or Bayern Munich but midweek away games at Hull and places like that.
I think City scouts have certainly looked at him a bit.

Not necessarily home grown but the one I want at United is Dier from Sporting. I'm afraid big Chris Smalling looks shell shocked and should be encouraged to go elsewhere.
Shoulders back, smash it
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yaya speaks out a bit more sensibly this time...

“They’ve always been good with me and my family,” he said. “I want to say [to the fans] that I will always honour my contract and stay as long as possible and don’t think about all the speculation they’ve seen saying I’ll be leaving.

"I think for what the fans have done for me, and the club as well, it’s a big pleasure to stay and continue and try to enjoy the next season.

“There are more important things than money because sometimes in life it’s been to be in a good way and healthy. That aspect is very important. The team is preparing well and we’ll try to win again next year.”

Seluk has also now ruled out a move for his client. "He is 100 per sent staying with City next season, not [moving to] PSG or anywhere else," he told the Manchester Evening News.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Incase anyone missed it.

Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

My god : Karim Benzema, Gareth Bale, James Rodriguez and Cristiano Rinaldo !
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Bojan a great signing for stoke, if they keep him fit (that old one)...