MEMORIAL DAY in the USA; Aldous Huxley

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I know this is called a Holiday; but Please remember all those who are no longer with us, those who literally gave EVERYTHING, including their lives.

I will also be thinking of all of those I loved who are no longer on this plane; who have moved onto what Shakespeare so brilliantly referred to as "The Undiscovered Country".

I hope all of you have a FUN and SAFE Memorial Day Holiday Weekend

...........................__________Aldous Huxley_________

............YOU AND ALL YOUR CHILDREN's CHILDREN's CHILDREN
............NEED YOU TO NEVER FORGET the EVIL of HUMANKIND
............& THOSE WHO WILL USE YOU LIKE UNAWARE SHEEP.

THINK FOR YOURSELF, TRULY; SOMEONE WILL Do So FOR YOU

I thought due to the Holiday, that more of you could have, or take, the time to listen to what this man envisioned, and we now have staring in our faces.

ARE YOU NOT YET TIRED OF BEING
LIED TO BY THOSE IN POWER?

Are you still quite certain that your thinking and belief system is your own, or is it the result of purposeful manipulation? Can you let go of whatever Ideological bent you have and look at FACTS instead of the Propaganda WE are fed Nightly by those who have a vested interest and insatiable desire - addiction - for POWER? TRY TO; Laziness kills Freedom and the ability to Reason; THINK FOR YOURSELF, because someone ALREADY HAS.......
And Lied about it. DON"T YOU EVER GET THE FEELING THAT SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG? Or are you Asleep?
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: MEMORIAL DAY in the USA

Post by spzretent »

That includes both of my parents.
They passed away 5 years and 5 days apart.
Both on Memorial Day weekend.
A slightly different meaning for me I suppose.
I dont think either of my parents ever heard of Aldous Huxley.
A tip of the cap to all those who gave their lives while serving.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Re: MEMORIAL DAY in the USA

Post by redcloud »

For me, it includes my sister who passed away four years ago on May 25.

I still can't believe she is gone.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Every year since I can remember, my Grandparents made certain that all the family and loved ones who were gone had more than simply flowers and Platitudes, they had memories spoken of them and rememberances handed down through the years. We placed flowers on those lost in BOTH sides of a terrible Civil War; Spanish American War, the GREAT WORLD WAR1, The Great FLU Epidemic of 1917, 1918, 1919 and those lost in WORLD WAR II, KOREA, VIETNAM; and by accidents, and some who worked themselves to death in the Great Depression; or the Years were just too many; and this year, I thought of all the memories I had stored, not in sadness, but in Rememberances of those now gone. Especially my Grandparents; who were Honest, Fair and Generous; who helped anyone they saw who needed it; and made certain I learned these lessons; I wish I was as Great as they were, so I keep thinking, working and trying to be better than I was last year. I try to hold back anger, but not to suffer fools; to be generous, kind and caring deep in my heart and mind; and to never forget all of those who Died to give me a Chance at Freedom, and to never surrender it. To never be a slave dependent upon anyone.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: MEMORIAL DAY in the USA; Aldous Huxley

Post by BzaInSpace »

Semi.

I have nothing but respect for your deep, previously unheard-of knowledge within the vast universe of recorded music, but could I respectfully ask that you tone down some of the more ranting, political grandstanding?

Two outpatients shared some painful memories here within the thread you started, yet you felt compelled to go and edit your original message to include that Über-paranoic screed at the top about our/your personal freedoms and government.

Yet...

While I do appreciate what you might say is true - although I could also argue that no such conspiracy exists, and everybody on this crazy planet is winging it to some degree - I don't feel this was the time or place.

Whilst I would never dream of editing or moderating such talk, bear in mind many (myself included) choose to post in forums like these because we wish - even for a millisecond - to split from the main nerve of the matrix, which this fear propaganda stuff undoubtedly helps to perpetuate.

While I'm here, could I also respectfully ask that you try and refrain from the repeated use of bold, coloured, italics (and especially) UPPER CASE text? I read most of this stuff while on placement on a busy acute psychiatric ward (as a student nurse - not as an inpatient I hasted to add!) on a mobile app which makes reading your posts not only difficult but at times downright impossible.

It also comes across as SHOUTING, which is a generally accepted internet protocol no-no, and I find it difficult to comprehend what you say when it's presented in such a hectoring fashion.

I believe everyone here has a valid viewpoint and opinion... yet most can express this without the OTT use of text formatting.

I know your heart is in the right place, but like Spiritualized® itself, this place can be an oasis of tranquility and wonder and love and rock & roll spirit in a crappy world.

I'd rather keep it that way.

Just my thoughts of course...

Peace & love.
O P 8
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

personally I find Semi's posts interesting and thought provoking. And I would be cautious about calling his opinions paranoid. I think one should question everything and be very aware that our mainstream media carries a very limited number of view points. If you accept that, the next logical question is why that is the case.

I'd much rather read peoples opinions on politics and the world here than the football thread for instance that is replicated many other places across the internet. But of course it is my choice to read or not to read that thread.

I'd suggest a politics thread on its own but there's been very little interest in political topics in the past so maybe you are right that this is not the place for it, - but it does seem a bit limiting to ask people not to post on certain topics.

In terms of formatting, - if you use Tapatalk then everything becomes nice and consistent!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There will always be those who simply follow, and those who Think For Themselves. Now is a good time for the latter.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

semisynthetic wrote:I wrote what I wrote because I am concerned for my country; WE HAVE BEEN LIED TO BY THIS ADMINSTRATION and GOVERNMENT ON SEVERAL POINTS THAT MATTER TREMENDOUSLY;

Yep. We have. BUT...this is hardly the first administration to have lied to us. Bush lied about Iraq. Nixon abut Watergate. Kennedy about Vietnam. McKinley and Roosevelt about the Philippines and Cuba. Polk about Mexico. The list goes on and it stretches the history of this country. We will be lied to again by another administration. It does not matter what political party it is or what country it is we are talking about...politicians and governments the world over lie to their people.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am more interested in the PRESENT, and what will become of this country for our children's children's children.

Politicians and Lies have not been mutually exclusive thoughout history; that was hardly the point, which from your oversimplified "excerpt" and commentary makes clear.
You have, I see, taken the obligatory, out-of-context phrase and changed and grossly simplified the meaning and blurred its intent, and turned it into the obvious; you have taken a few of the words of what I intended for Bzainspace; if OUR Media are so tight-lipped and quiet over abuses, I thought the BBC would have little reason to report what is an American affair, for now, anyway.

This was an American Holiday, with good reason to point out the abuses and Lies that just because they exist, is NO reason to ignore them; not if one knows the difference between lies and the Truth, and how important the latter is.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Perhaps. But, it seems that every generation fails to remember history. History shows that we have been lied to for centuries. As have, probably, every other citizen in every other nation.

The point is...the Obama administration has been disappointing (I voted for him and I will stand up and admit I have been bitterly disappointed and have since become completely disaffected from Washington). But, I also recognize that the lies that have come out of Washington on his watch are hardly unique. The previous administration lied as well. In fact, they took us to a false war against a nation that apparently had WMD and blood was spilled and billions (trillion?) of dollars wasted. Sadly, it appears people forgot about that or, as a nation, we simply do not seem to care enough anymore.

But hey, Semi...I'm not here to argue with you or engage in "internet drama". I do not understand why you seem to want to direct angry, condescending, dismissive posts towards me. Do you honestly think that I don't have anything worth saying? If so, fine. You can have a conversation with yourself because nobody else is writing. At the end of the day...we clearly live totally different lives and have some shared but mostly very different values and perspectives. Is that not what makes America the great, melting pot society that it is? OR, have we turned into a nation where nobody respects anybody that brings something different to the table?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

redcloud wrote:
But hey, Semi...I'm not here to argue with you or engage in "internet drama". I do not understand why you seem to want to direct angry, condescending, dismissive posts towards me. Do you honestly think that I don't have anything worth saying? If so, fine. You can have a conversation with yourself because nobody else is writing. At the end of the day...we clearly live totally different lives and have some shared but mostly very different values and perspectives. Is that not what makes America the great, melting pot society that it is? OR, have we turned into a nation where nobody respects anybody that brings something different to the table?

After reading your Posts, I wrote in part, what johnnyboy responded to:
johnnyboy wrote:
redcloud wrote:
semisynthetic wrote: Since WHEN is obtaining a piece that one would like to have now referred to as a "selfish expenditure"? I have collected music and ENJOYED THE MUSIC and ephemera I have attained through the years regardless of whether it was a gift, from a friend at at Radio Station, or, I bought what I could afford. I would NEVER begrudge anyone an addition to their collection that they were pleased to get; such a strangeness of attitude would have never crossed my mind; I have often commented, (usually by PM), to those who DID find something they were pleased with and indicated they'd looked for. This approach, which you espouse is absolutely Alien to me, and I believe, unfortunate and terribly sad.

I don't know how much an original Curved Air picture disc would cost....few hundred dollars maybe? I can't really justify to spend that type of money on a record for "me" when I have two kids, a wife, mortgage etc. That is why it is a "selfish expenditure". It would be for my own wants when that money could go towards, oh....maybe a family holiday? Seems selfish and greedy to me.

However, if I stumbled on the record at a garage sale or somebody didn't know what it was or what it was worth...I would buy it. That was my point.
From afar this seems a very fair, understandable and sensible point to make and I can't see why anyone would argue back about it really. How daft. We spend our money how we wish to, surely?
When such attempts at goading me for what I have, or others have, or spend is what takes up the better part of a page in the Picture Discs, page 2 Post, what on Earth do I have to say? You have called me greedy before, and other things over time; IT IS SOME DRAMA you wish, or you would not embarrass yourself and me along with you; you have hassled me over Money and whined that you were a teacher so often, I know the line next!

One can read, and perhaps read between the lines of the posts about a silly disc; you made yourself ridiculous, not I!
The REST of it should still be on the site - including you saying 'it was OK for (semi) to have the disc, You would LET ME! That sounds unhinged. How on Earth is what you think have anything to do with "allowing" me to obtain something I already HAD?

I tried to NOT bring up this nonsense. If You won't let go when you are looking foolish THAT is not my doing! I have never resorted to calling you "greedy" or "selfish" or any of the other things I have had to put up with to ENJOY THIS SITE DESPITE YOUR COMMENTS OVER TIME. I feel sorry for you, I truly do! This "Not Drama" is enough. This part of a page I used is simply that. The page was partly consumed with this antagonism, apparently over the fact I was pleased to have found and purchased a disc that you believed cost far more than I purchased it for. Good Grief. Even in the first posts I made, you asked, most strangely and impolitely; inappropriately, WHAT DID THAT COST!

If you had been interested in the price for a reason other than to think you'd belittle me because I can afford to do as I wish is very sad. And it is unnecessary. I have TRIED to include you in posts, to be focused on the music, it has been a long time since I brought up anything Political, but you have NOT ceased to bring up matters Financial for years! I am not interested in discussing money when there is no point!

I have no need to apologize for what I have made myself able to do; I enjoy this SITE as I said; and I will not let anyone ruin that for me because they don't like my "Purchased List" Posts or interject personally aimed tripe at me or anyone else. I write this to expose this make-believe in your own mind.

I am truly sorry for you; you seem very unhappy with what you have accomplished and have in life, and as for me, I would not let any comment dissuade me from enjoying a site where I have made friendly contacts and enjoy, with others, one of the great loves of my life, Music.

Please let it go, you mirror your own accusations and it is simply not right to accuse me of what I have not done, while you have written these malicious comments for years.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sorry to all for this, SITE Members. I was interrupted by illness that took me to Hospital and home again repeatedly before I was able to just barely add my own family's Rememberances and comments; my Huxley Post was made in pieces over time, when I was able, or at least thought I was able to try and finish it ASAP. I have tried to avoid ever mentioning this nonsense, and that is what it is; someone making unkind comments over the years, and blaming me for doing what was never done. I hope this ends the "Little Drama". It certainly wasn't Shakespeare. More like MAD magazine.
So much for my "oasis of tranquility in a crappy world".
Paracelsus
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Can we please get back to bad mouthing the government? (past or present) That would be much more fun than goading each other.

Internet is a funny place. Sometimes it is hard to see the manner in which people intend their comments to be taken without the benefit of hearing tone of voice and body language. I doubt anyone meant to offend anyone that much.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I just watched the Huxley film by the way and his comments sounded very prescient to my ears. The comments on the damage of advertising, the ability to buy a presidency if you have enough money and a popular candidate and the idea that the best way to have a totalitarian state is to have one where people don't think they are in one. hmmm.

Also refreshingly and unapologetically intelligent sounding. You don't get much of that on TV these days. I get the same feeling when watching occasional old documentaries on BBC4. I'd much rather be struggling to keep up with what is being said than being talked down to, which most TV does.

To bring it up to date this documentary narrated by Woody Harrelson is thought provoking for anyone interested.

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Keep on coming with the all political propaganda. That's fine.

Semi — no offence but all we are asking is to stop the mark-up in your posts. As the age of computers and messaging has evolved to a means of mass communication, we also have to respect a certain etiquette or in todays terms netiquette. People, can become very hurt by even seeing capital letters on their screens (WHY IS HE SHOUTING AT ME) etc... Things have changed and I know you enjoy to be outspoken about your beliefs, just follow some simple rules.

Thank you. Please do not take any offence, just tone it down...

All the best,

M
Design.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

At times this site is fantastic. Some great chats with some musically passionate folk like myself. But, this is all just plain weird. I wish I never mentioned my sis in this thread. She does not deserve to be in here. Time to check out, me thinks.

Life is too short to waste my time with nonsense I don't need.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

clewsr wrote:Can we please get back to bad mouthing the government? (past or present) That would be much more fun than goading each other.

Internet is a funny place. Sometimes it is hard to see the manner in which people intend their comments to be taken without the benefit of hearing tone of voice and body language. I doubt anyone meant to offend anyone that much.
I think an airing of what is factually based conversation on just what is happening in the USA, at least for my part, is of much greater import than what I just wrote. I found the entire business unpleasant and antithetical to what I enjoy about this site; the enjoyment of Music, and the ability to have friendly discussions and enjoy ourselves.

When I happened upon that Huxley interview, I too thought the points made so matter of factly by Huxley that sound, unfortunately, too much like today.
I have read a great deal of the socialized methodology for "nudging" people into doing what a Government wants, over time, to make some "goal" happen, just less abruptly; that from a close confident of the current President, in his book "Nudge" and in other government documents. Older propaganda is vicious, but when placed in current America, or nearly anyplace else, it sounds inhumane, and dastardly. George Bernard Shaw was a great proponent of the State making decisions, well, except for him. That is another constant theme in this "Brave New World", there is always someone who wants to tell you how to run and live your life, by precepts that may be inconsistent with your own views, but these same people in Power, carve out exceptions for themselves. A Democratic Republic cannot survive unless it follows what makes it one.

I think so differently, for I cannot imagine forcing my will on others because I would gain from it in some way, yet the level of corruption in Washington is as great as I have ever seen it, and I have watched and studied politics and events since I was a kid. When President Nixon declared himself a de facto "monarch"
, that what he did was legal because it was he who did it, that was, for me, much worse a crime than the other crimes; if he had not been found gulity of these crimes, that doctrine would not have been so easily upheld over Executive decisions of today that were reversed. Not much in the papers or most news channels, but it is in the court records, and in the Congressional Record, all very tedious to obtain, but necessary.

When Nixon lied, and I learned he had lied, that was probably the first great example I experienced of the ruin that Power brings. I was glad he was impeached, despite what good things he had done, the unlawful use and disregard of the Constitution he had sworn an oath to, were negated by History.

Today, it is practically "a lie a day". Of course governments lie; but when it is the chosen method, any state looks more like a banana republic than a Great Power.

There have been so many lies, and lies that affected so many so quickly with untold numbers of unintended consequences, that even those who voted for the current President are disenchanted. To sell a "Healthcare" law, which is simply greater government control over even more, and the outcome is not what was promised again and again, not just because of incompetence, but because of predetermined political choice to lie so the law would be enacted. It is not my opinion, it is a fact borne out by FOIA emails and admissions. The idea that the government is great at taking care of us is a foolish precept. The waste, abuse, corruption and all that is seen in the worst in people thrives.

The disasterous "roll out" of this law should be a glimpse of things to come; the VA scandals, which are very old, stem from an entrenched bureacracy that fattens itself on lies; "The Lists" among many examples; but these "bonuses" for lying are relatively new, and another way technocrats scam the system.

One thing that bothers me greatly, is how, for generations to come, all of this waste will be on the backs of the young. It is no wonder they too, once so eager to have "Hope and Change", realize at last the illusion was nearly complete. They rightly feel cheated and lied to. The number of scandals and the seeming complete lack of concern was the norm until the VA business came up; for the first time, almost every constituency saw what they did not like, and the VA is our future unless some major changes are made. I remain optimistic that the American people will see the folly in this "Big Brother" nanny-state, or whatever you wish to refer to it as; and I hope the pendulum will swing back to a more realistic and lawful America.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

MODLAB = Screaming? No, that is MAD! I agree "modlab" DOES look boring by comparison! Your screen name IS better as it is; written or unwritten rule, I for one like it as it is. They both sound equally and absolutely silent to me; for typed letters normally do not emit audible sound waves........... :D
It's all in the MIND.
modlab wrote:Semi — no offence but all we are asking is to stop the mark-up in your posts. As the age of computers and messaging has evolved to a means of mass communication, we also have to respect a certain etiquette or in todays terms netiquette. People, can become very hurt by even seeing capital letters on their screens (WHY IS HE SHOUTING AT ME) etc... Things have changed and I know you enjoy to be outspoken about your beliefs, just follow some simple rules.
Thank you. Please do not take any offence, just tone it down...
All the best,
M

[I do not take any offence, but I would like to point out what I see as even more obvious than my nearly unforgivable writing behaviour. I do find the whole idea of "shouting" via "Typing" as well, strange and silly. I see a wide variety of styles of writing, and making the piece spartan does not necessarily mean it will be any clearer or even less annoying, it depends on the words used and the meaning behind the words, surely?

Nevertheless, I am not so uncaring or mentally numb that I cannot accept something that sounds silly to me that must mean a great deal to others; still, if I say to someone "you rotten bastard, rot in Hell for all Eternity", it doesn't matter whether it is in tiny print or bold; it is offensive, unkind and the sort of thing I would not use, except for this simplistic example.

I can imagine, however, as people are increasingly absorbed into their devices and machines, an entire new type of synthetic sensitivity evolves which may be understood by those who use such communication often, so often, anagrams replace words, symbols replace feelings and the use of correct english or any other language is slowly devolved into the equivalent of electronically created grunts.

I suppose it never occurred to anyone that the use of bold and/or uppercase type could be used so that the writer could see better if poor eyesight was a side effect of periodic chemo; or, rather than "shouting"(?), it is merely a simple method for emphasis as one may use in regular conversation; or this "shouting"(?) may also be a combination of all of these things and more, none intended to create virtual volume.

I have written a message, and received a reply which was a misinterpretation of what I intended to convey, nothing serious, but I noticed when I "shouted"(?) and used size, italics, bold or even color, someone reading it may now better follow what I meant; and I have from time to time done exactly that, and "oh, I see what you mean" resulted.

But I see that my simpleminded view on "the size of fonts in the Modern Age" is at odds with some unwritten rule that is apparently still unwritten.

OK, (whoops, I shouted)! Anyway, lest all words be in lowercase and anagramic electronic grunts, I can deal with my own shortcomings. I will enlarge the words I see on my screen alone, so that I have a minimum of mispelled words, and write in a manner that hopefully people can understand; I am not that good at writing, but at least I have left the 3rd person in the past. I will submit to you that 30+ years of research notes can make for dreadfully dull reading if those conventions are maintained - arcane, dull and lacking.

I must admit, I find it all new to me; despite my use of computers and computerized devices since the age when one programmed whatever they wanted to use by themselves, and any visual creativity was done in black & white or a greenish tint on black, the ability to place emphasis on even simple points has a certain freedom about it that the original computers will always lack. It is unfortunate that my Ancient IBM or is it now ibm? Anyway, it is unfortunate that beast of a machine, in its complete lack of ability for color or bold or even more than 2 fonts is now so outdated that it cannot bear the weight of the internet, yet it would be perfect in this "modern age of interestingly unwritten typing rules", since it is as boring as watching ice melt in winter. Ironic that as the ability to be creative grew, it was stifled by the increasingly tiny gadgets that are so predominant now.

The use of these gadgets with tiny screens is unhealthy even when the most boring of type and font is used. I am beginning to wonder why the "Spiritualized+" in a horribly bright and happy shade of green has not yet been made white and gray and black, as computers were intended! It is probably a legal necessity, and does at least, provide something aesthetic visually, But I will just have to deal with that anomally as well.

When in Hospital, I used my IPhone to try and read a newspaper. Not good. So, if Barry is using a small screened gadget to read even this boring post, I can understand why [anything more] than a post devoid of even the least bit of emphasis, by any method, would be truly maddening. I suppose that point may have made the use of [anything less] than a computer to read this stuff on an ongoing basis seemed as unlikely to me as the use of upper case letters is taken to mean "shouting".
My error.

Fortunately, even though I am nearly as antiquated as my monster IBM, and unfortunately, desirous to be somewhat creative or clearer than that monster can, I am more adaptive than the monster. It still sounds completely silly when I say out loud to myself "upper case" means shouting, that it is amusing; but since there are probably many more than Barry who, by necessity, must hurt their eyes enough on a tiny screen with just electronic grunts, let alone polysyllabic words in color, I will try to adjust my personal screen so that I may better see what I write, and perhaps become a better writer by reverting to something less creative than even a quilled plume to write with.

It must have been, surely, the tiny screens that make these "unwritten rules"? Otherwise, "shouting" in upper case sounds like the invention of 11 year olds texting or writing to one another by SpongeBob Squarepants night lights on their computers clandestinally late at night, complete with a secret code between bff.

Still, I can see that I have almost broken all of the 10 Commandments, nearly committed genocide and gassed a population with hydrocyanic fumes based on all the hullabaloo and gnashing of teeth regarding "shouting" and "hectoring" with upper case. I plead nola contendre' and pledge I will try to use little words with a larger meaning, so help me, (spit). :D
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Thank you, Semi.

Hope all is well with you and it was not very serious.

Best,

Mark
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Thank you, Mark; same old thing, just untimely - from about a week before Memorial Day on. I will be just Peachy in a week or so.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

clewsr, I will be happy to continue in a week or so; the latest brilliant move, trading 5 Taliban "favorites" for someone who purposely walked off his post (and this was known, even by me via the US Military, since 2010) is the latest in a string of Stupid; was it thought to be a banner Rose Garden treat, or to override the VA uproar gaining in unpopularity? I better write these down the - Alinsky Method of the equivalent of "whack - a -mole", where there is so much nastiness thrown all at once, and all the time is just, well, following the playbook. It isn't working as well as it did, thank goodness. People are not pleased by a great many things; for they are Awake!
Paracelsus
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Ha ha excellent. I like this too...
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Until there are large vehicles that deliver goods and services like, oh, FOOD, on the Power Generated by Butterfly Dreams, it does seem logical and practical to stay with what we have that actually works on large scale and mass, like gasoline & diesel; Radical I know, but otherwise we are going to get awfully hungry eating just the Pie in the Sky.
Paracelsus
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

So are you not bothered by contamination of the water supply?

http://frackfreegtrmanchester.org.uk/pr ... in-the-uk/

For someone with such strong opinions you seem surprisingly keen to go with the flow on this one? Never wondered that you might be being lied to about this as well? I'd pictured someone as independent sounding as you living off grid with solar panels, wind turbine and heat exchanger.

The answer might be different in the US which is vastly bigger than the UK, but here just seems too small and too densely populated for this kind of experimental craziness.

And what about the lifetime gagging orders on kids? http://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania ... king-case/
What could the fracking industry possibly have to hide?

If industry really wanted to improve fuel consumption I imagine they could have made better progress than they have so far - http://www.1000mpg.com/

Although apparently its all the Russian's fault for spreading anti fracking propaganda http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... e-fracking

Although if this lady is Russian she is a very convincing actor!

A search on utube for 'fire water fracking' returns more than 29000 results so its fairly safe to assume this is no isolated incident.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

My answer was based upon my feelings in the USA; we have enormous reserves, and the current situation in the Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, Iran, et cetera, makes being energy independent a priority we SHOULD enact and embrace. Since I am in the countryside, I use Propane; which the USA is rich in, and is actively brought up in my area, only a few hunded miles away. It is not FREE, but I suppose compared to the UK, it is likely cheaper. Despite the remoteness of my home, I do, nevertheless, have electricity; but because of my remoteness, and winter storms and so on, I do have adequate generators to live comfortably in a crisis, which I have unfortunately needed to do.

I would have very different feelings if I lived in the UK. Firstly, I believe any oil company should not only have the permission of the land owner, but said owner should receive a payment for any product taken from beneath their property. This is, as you point out, a difficult task, because the overall area is small. In the USA, an enormous amount of oil is beneath both private and public lands; depending upon where one lives - and certain Treaties with Native Americans, for they receive, as do some other landowners, payment for what is found under their land.

Before fracking, it was not uncommon for water wells and methane or other volatile petroleum products to enter as gases and to burn at the faucet. I observed this phenomena first when I was a little boy. There are many, many water wells where I now live, some for private homes, some for irrigation; and from time to time, a flaming is observed, despite the fact that no fracking has been done; it may occur because of tectonic shifts, there are many more than simply those on the "ring of fire" along the Pacific rim. I would not be at all surprised if those against Petroleum would seize upon any phenomena to discredit obtaining Petroleum. There are OTHER compounds involved in fracking that should also be observed in this lady's faucet; it is their ABSENCE that makes me question this as much as my own experience in seeing similar phenomena over the years in an active geological area; other compounds of great volatility and easily measured - more easily than Methane or the other gases - and having a specific sweet odor; but it isn't there. If it WERE, that would be Headlines! That would convince me that fracking is all the horror I hear about; but it is never found; ergo, I'll take Ocham's razor (or lex parsimoniae), and see the likely culprit instead of the one others WANTED to see. But, I agree, on a little island, with great population density, I would go offshore; it is better than being totally reliant upon an increasingly unreliable world.

If you have ever taken an Ibuprofen, it was totally derived from Petroleum products. There are literally THOUSANDS of compounds in the Natural Product of Oil. Many are light-weight gases, like Methane, Ethane, Ethene, Butane, Ethyne and Propane, among others; all of which, being very light and having a very low viscosity, find their way through natural fissures; there are a number of Hot Springs from which flame naturally burns as these gases and others bubble up through the water. But that reality does not fit the narrative, and is not discussed. Nor are the countless uses of Petroleum. Gasoline is only a single use. In the USA, the Government "makes" more money on a gallon of gas than the companies that provide it.

Medications are almost all synthesized from the various components of Petroleum, which is a very complex and useful Natural Product. I know this, because I designed and synthesized compounds for many years, in and out of Academia. There is hardly a single item in your room or at your desk that was not in some way made or brought to you or used in its discovery. If your chair is wooden, it is likely finished with a raw light oil or a varnish made from Petroleum byproducts. Your computer is made of many polymers derived from Petroleum products. The recordings we discuss, their packaging, the special inks and dyes, (some quite old now), were discovered with syntheses of Petroleum products. This complex mixture formed over millions of years is a natural product; and from it we have benefitted greatly. WHEN a REAL substitute is developed, I will be very happy! But it is senseless to see our standard of living continue to fall and our capacity to grow in POSITIVE ways hampered while we wait for that "something". A semi-trailor truck would require at LEAST a dozen semi-trailor sized batteries to deliver the food in that one truck. No solar, windmills or Butterfly Dreams stored in hermetically sealed vials are going to move that truck! In my mind, NOT needing Petroleum for gasoline or Diesel, just makes MORE available for the countless other goods we derive from Petroleum. For 4 consecutive years, a very old and very useful drug, a glucocorticoid used for everything from bee stings to broken legs skyrocketed in price and lowered in availability, without any rationale! These tablets were less than a dime 5 years ago, and it took a great effort to make enough to lower that to "only twice" as much. Sound familiar? How has YOUR food bill gone lately? Likely it has not fallen.

My argument is simple; if we were to have an enormous upsurge in drilling and production, the price of oil AND ALL THAT IT IN TURN PROVIDES would begin to fall as fast as it rose today with news that the Extremists burning Syria and Iraq made the price rise. Supply and demand would cause the price to fall; food would be delivered more cheaply, and more often, and milk would be fresh, medicines would cost less, almost everything we come into contact would cost less; the jobs created pay very well, and that in turn would bring about a boom in the economy that we have not seen since the late 1960's. Many of you are too young to remember <50 cent a gallon gasoline, or very few people forced onto the dole for lack of jobs; surely being dependent upon others is not good for one's self esteem; and strategically, with enough resources to give the USA a tremendous boom once again, there would be enough Petroleum so that Europe need not be held hostage by Russia and Putin, or some other ex KGB, and The USA would be free from dependency upon a ever volatile middle east.

I grew up with my Grandparents; my Grandfather owned land and received royalties - but on his terms. The wells were hidden from view, there were built-in safety measures to stop a spill from polluting water, and these overflow pits were made quite tall, covered in a special rush grass that can withstand extremes, so as to obscure the view of these "ponds", and the "ponds" were covered to protect wildlife. Since those years, so long ago, great strides have been made, and so have foolish mistakes. I would be very strict, and companies, people and any Government involvement would be carefully observed and mistakes dealt with openly and harshly - QUITE UNLIKE what we see in (our) government today; where there is no sense of accountability. That is the KEY; to abandon the lawlessness and favoritism we see given the "team" instead of the Equality we should see as Americans, and begin to solve a number of problems now that would help us in a myriad of ways, and make our Country Strong, Vibrant and Growing again; it is senseless to settle for less.
Paracelsus