Spiritualized to Play NXNE in Toronto

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

toomilk
Known user

Spiritualized to Play NXNE in Toronto

Post by toomilk »

Spiritualized has been added to the lineup to play NXNE in Toronto, Canada. June 13-22nd.

http://exclaim.ca/News/nxne_expands_201 ... ns_ap_ferg
jack white
Known user

Re: Spiritualized to Play NXNE in Toronto

Post by jack white »

Massey Hall
twitter (of course - tho not the official spz twitter, of course..) says 20th june

i'm not Canadian but even i'm excited about this. obv cause of NY @ MH. apparently it's a relatively big venue?? hmm...
do they headline their own gig? i think they do..?? they shouldn't play unless they do!

anyone on here signed up to go?
is he totally basing the band in north america now? this is an american band, yes or no?
any other tour dates on the horizon? this seems like a random show?
so many questions?
canada is such a weird fucking country.. blows my mind.

grand funk ruled btw. homer knows.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

jack white wrote: is he totally basing the band in north america now?
I hope so! :twisted::-D
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm hoping to go. Never been to canada, but I've always wanted to. Some other good shows happening at this event too.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its a beautiful venue. I have been there a few times. I am hoping to go. Courtney Barnett is playing the same night up there. I'd love to do both shows just depends on when CB goes on.
Toronto is a great city. It is huge. Good record shops too.
Rotate This
Sonic Boom
Play De Record
Soundscapes
She Said Boom
Kops(used)
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have mixed feelings about these recent bookings. It's cool that the band is getting back in action, but at the same time it means that we're probably going to have to wait longer for a new album (unless recording is happening right now).
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

And now the bad news:

http://masseyhall.com/eventdetail/spiritualized

Wanna see Spiritualized at Massey Hall? Then you need to buy a NXNE wristband for $149! That $75 Minimum Price listed on the Massey Hall page? That's how much it cost to buy a wristband before December 31. But you could have had one for $99 right up until April 30. Of course, this ticketing "Fuck You" wasn't announced until AFTER the wristband price jumped $50 (I believe anyway -- I've been regularly checking the Massey Hall site). Of course, the page does say this:

"Limited walk up tickets are available night of show(s), on a first come first served basis, after priority guests seated. Access is subject to capacity."

Are these the $25 tickets they mentioned when they posted the show announcement on the Spz FB page? It would be nice to post that info on the Massey Hall page, too!...

Let me just say that I have been a Spiritualized fan since they formed from the ashes of Spacemen 3. I have seen them countless times -- including at the top of the CN Tower! But it has always been my dream to see them at Massey Hall. (They've only ever played clubs, stadiums and outdoors here -- never a seated venue with great Acoustics like Massey). I thought that dream had come true. But as much as I STILL love this band, I'm not gonna line up outside Massey Hall on the off chance that some of the 2700 or so seats won't be taken up by curious NXNE Festival-goers and I might get a seat behind a pillar on the upper level and maybe one somewhere similar for my wife. Not gonna happen. Not when Swans are playing for free just up the street. Shit. Come to think of it, the audience may not even be able to HEAR Spiritualized...

What they should do (and they never asked me), is sell a block of tickets in each section for fans without wristbands who would like to buy advance tickets. In fact, Massey Hall has a program called "FriendsFirst" where, for an annual fee, you get first dibs on a block of tickets which go on sale before tickets are available to the general public. They should really sell a small block of those first, then sell some other blocks to the general public. Then let the wristband holders have their General Admission free-for-all. Yes, I am a FriendsFirst member. Just another reason I was super-excited about this show. Spiritualized at Massey Hall from the first few rows? I'm there! Except...I won't be...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Anyone go? I didn't make it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

I went! After my little rant, I realized that I couldn't let this show happen without an attempt to get in. I'm glad I did! There were plenty of empty seats. I reckon they would have had more people there if they'd just advertised it as a Spiritualized show and sold tickets in advance rather than having it as part of a Festival. But I can't complain: I paid $25 to see Spiritualized from the 12th row at Massey Hall! I could've sat closer had I wanted to but I got an aisle seat when I walked in and didn't feel like giving it up. I mean, it's not like they're a band you need to be particularly close to since it really is a bunch of folks standing around playing music (well, some are sitting but still...)....

To be honest, it was a bit of a rough night at times. They were more "off" than I've ever seen them before. Right off the bat, the tones started, the band walked onstage, Jason sat down and strummed his guitar...nothing! No sound! So somebody came out and fiddled about with things and eventually the right connections were made and the sound came out. There were a couple of rough spots in the set as well (forgotten lyrics, some confusion over where the "one" was on "Cheapster") but these things were minor. I only mention it because it stuck out to me since I've never noticed these sorts of things at a Spiritualized show before. I put it down to them not being in the middle of a tour and attaining that comfort level...

BUT...this was by no means a poor show. This is Spiritualized after all and when they're on, it's brilliant. And to their credit, the things that seemed like mistakes to me weren't transmitted by the band. They forged ahead and seemed to laugh it off, for the most part. My biggest complaint would be that it wasn't long enough! I am sure this was a frustration for the band as well. Being a Festival, they had to play a shortened set since there were two opening acts also on the bill. Spiritualized went on at 10 and had to be finished by 11 since Massey Hall has a curfew. So it seemed that things were a bit rushed sometimes and Jason was definitely checking his watch towards the end of the set. I think both band and audience would have been happy with at least another half-hour!...

All things considered, I'm glad I went and it was nice to see the band again so soon after the last tour rolled through. Was it my favourite Spiritualized show? No. Is this the best version of the band? No. Was it a good night out? Absolutely...

OK, this is long enough. I tried to write down the setlist when I got home so here it is to the best of my feeble memory and as close to in order as I can recall it:

Here It Comes (The Road, Let's Go)
Hey Jane
Lord, Let It Rain On Me
Electricity
Shine A Light
Always Forgetting With You (The Bridge Song)
Rated X
Oh Baby
Cheapster
Come Together

Quick final comments: nice to hear two new songs (not "new" as in never-heard-before but as in first time for me hearing them live), "Shine A Light" is a personal favourite so it was a treat to hear it at Massey, and it's always nice to hear "Come Together". May Spiritualized come back soon! And now that they've seen Massey Hall, I hope they consider it as a possible venue for their next tour...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

LunarTunes wrote: I paid $25 to see Spiritualized from the 12th row at Massey Hall! I could've sat closer had I wanted to but I got an aisle seat when I walked in and didn't feel like giving it up...

Always Forgetting With You (The Bridge Song)
I'm glad you got to see them in the end, especially in that venue.

And playing that song? Wow! :shock:
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

jung kim photo
Attachments
Bq61LizCMAEziSu.jpg-large.jpeg
Bq61LizCMAEziSu.jpg-large.jpeg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 3411 times