Spiritualized Playing Sled Island Fest 2014 - Calgary

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

toomilk
Known user

Spiritualized Playing Sled Island Fest 2014 - Calgary

Post by toomilk »

Looks like Spiritualized is planning a Canadian tour in June:
On Tuesday organizers announced the first big-name acts they’ve booked for the 2014 edition of the alternative music and arts festival which will take over Calgary and its many arts venues from June 18-22...

Early headliners include: Space rock pioneer Jason Pierce and his band Spiritualized, whose performance at last year’s Coachella was a highlight; American alt country charmer Neko Case, who topped a number of last year’s best of lists with her album The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You; gritty, glorious garage rock veterans Rocket From the Crypt; pop artist St. Vincent (a.k.a. Annie Clark), who has enjoyed incredible acclaim thanks to her recent collaboration with former Talking Heads frontman David Byrne; influential indie rocker Bob Mould, originally of ’80s legends Husker Du; and rising California post-hardcore troupe Touche Amore.
http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/03/ ... land-2014/
citizensmurf
Known user

Re: Spiritualized Playing Sled Island Fest 2014 - Calgary

Post by citizensmurf »

Very excited about this show, never thought I'd have a chance to see them in my town. Last year the festival was cancelled due to massive flooding in the city (Sled Island is just a name, we are not living on an island), so I'm happy this year's line-up is so outstanding. Being so far away from other major cities, a lot of bands who tour Canada will play Vancouver or Toronto, but Calgary is a 12 hour drive from Vancouver, and 2 days of driving from Toronto. We often miss out on so many great bands who can't make money touring through here, so thanks to Sled Island, and thanks to Spiritualized for coming to town.
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

citizensmurf wrote:Very excited about this show, never thought I'd have a chance to see them in my town. Last year the festival was cancelled due to massive flooding in the city (Sled Island is just a name, we are not living on an island), so I'm happy this year's line-up is so outstanding. Being so far away from other major cities, a lot of bands who tour Canada will play Vancouver or Toronto, but Calgary is a 12 hour drive from Vancouver, and 2 days of driving from Toronto. We often miss out on so many great bands who can't make money touring through here, so thanks to Sled Island, and thanks to Spiritualized for coming to town.
I remember the Jesus and Mary Chain gig was cancelled due to that flood last year.. which remains to be their latest happening as of now. The people organizing the festival were working so hard to salvage it and manage the situation and I was in fact quite impressed with the way they tried. Some festival organizers I've seen are just horrible even with grassy field and sunny weather
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

Saw this show last night, my first time seeing Spiritualized live. Was completely blown away, utterly amazed. I only recently heard their music, but had heard about them for a long, long time. Not sure what kept me from buying any albums, but honestly there is so much music you simply can't listen to it all.

I've been a long time Julian Cope fan, well since the mid-90's, and it was Doggen who sparked my interest in Spiritualized. I knew it would be a great show, so I bought the tickets and then picked up CDs of Amazing Grace, Let It Come Down and Songs in A&E. I only listened to them a few times, because honestly I like going to show's without any prejudices to see if the performance is what I'm enjoying, rather than the familiarity.

They did not disappoint, were amazing in every way. I know a lot of people are entranced by the songwriting and the mystique of Jason Pierce, but his band, and especially Doggen, made the show. I had a chance to say hello to Doggen (Tony Foster) after the show, and thanked him for coming to our humble city (and our up and coming festival). He's a great guy and such a good performer.

I would jump at the chance to see them again, and will have to pick up the rest of the catalogue. Come Together was probably the highlight of the set, and I'd never heard it before last night.

They were headlining the main venue at Sled Island, and 5 other bands opened for them, Rocket From the Crypt being the other bigger band. Was a great night, and sorry I can't give a set list because I don't even know the song names.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fantastic! And welcome...

Rocket From The Crypt were opening for them?? :shock:

Awesome - had no idea they were still doing the rounds...
O P 8
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

Glad you got to see them and liked the show, citizensmurf! Apparently they hadn't played Calgary since 1998 so it's not like you've missed out on too many opportunities in the past. But now that they've remembered where you guys are, I hope you get a chance to see them again. A full Spiritualized show is a fantastic thing. But, having seen them at a Festival in Toronto on Friday, I know that smaller doses work, too. I posted what I think the setlist was for that show (from memory, though). I wouldn't be surprised if Sled Island's was the same...
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

Yeah, I was around when they played with Radiohead in 98, but was so broke I couldn't afford tickets, and hadn't even heard of them so no regrets. Rocket from the Crypt recently reunited, and put on a great set.

Can anyone tell me who is currently in the touring band (other than Doggen)? I can't seem to find any info about them online, as any press focuses on Jason.