IPOD Classic -160GB

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

BVCP206
Known user

IPOD Classic -160GB

Post by BVCP206 »

Seems like I have missed the boat on these and Apple no longer make them! I have been scouring the net and have spotted a couple of 6th gen refurbs at around £200 these come with a 12 month warranty and are described as A+ condition. On the face of it seems an ok deal but am a little wary shelling out £200 on something that is secondhand :!: Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
'Remember, change is not good'
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: IPOD Classic -160GB

Post by semisynthetic »

I've never had an IPod; but a used piece of electronics that is over $300 would concern me; it would matter to me if I bought from a local store w/ "people" in it versus some virtual store on the Internet where you have little recourse if THAT "store" evaporates.

While looking for a (type of electronic device), it really struck me how many were available for 24 hours and GONE; only to appear as a new "shop" with the exact same offerings.

Actually, It sounds like you may have answered your own question, and being cautious is not a bad method of purchasing anything.

One may ask WHY the model was discontinued; it seems great to have so much music in a tiny package, but maybe it was asking too much, I don't know; I was never one for mobile music players, so I rely on the way I buy items in general. IF you really want that particular model, get it - but for at least 2 reasons it seems you are gambling £200.

I hope that helps in some way; & I hope you find what you want! :D
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

^^ So you'd never spend $300 or more on any 2nd hand electronic product, unless it was in a bricks-and-mortor store? I don't know what bad experience you've had to cause this, but I suspect your position is very much in the minority.

It's one thing to have an opinion, but to be so prescriptive based on mere whimsy and rhetoric hardly offers much credence to your conviction. Such a broad generalization seems of little help, particularly in the context of the original query.

If I or other folks I know who have a wide range of electronics had restricted ourselves so, we would have ended up with less and had to pay more for it. Obviously there are risks, but the nature of such transactions is that the circumstances change so much from one to the next, having bloody-minded hard and fast rules based on supposition and prejudice - as opposed to judgement and experience - is as to needlessly burden oneself with a highly inconvenient restriction.

A more useful response might suggest researching the provenance of the item and the trading history of the seller. Another indicator is whether the payment process offers redress in the event of certain issues, such as the extra protection Paypal can provide.

If I were to express notes of caution, it would be around concerns arising from such the spike in demand for such items that appeared as soon as Apple EOL'd that product. That situation can leave careless buyers liable to con artists selling fake Chinese copies, or worse - non-existent goods. However that potential merely requires caveat emptor, as opposed to a damning indictment of the whole notion!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I've had one for years and would say as the time it was worthy purchase. However I don't use it too much now as I can store over 60Gb of music on my phone (and have access to all my other music over the net via my home music server) I also detest iTunes so hacked my iPod (google "rockbox" ) so I didn't have to use it.

But as far as large capacity mp3 (other music formats are available) players go, I think this is the only one you'll find.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

mojo filters wrote:^^ So you'd never spend $300 or more on any 2nd hand electronic product, unless it was in a bricks-and-mortor store? I don't know what bad experience you've had to cause this, but I suspect your position is very much in the minority.

It's one thing to have an opinion, but to be so prescriptive based on mere whimsy and rhetoric hardly offers much credence to your conviction. Such a broad generalization seems of little help, particularly in the context of the original query.

If I or other folks I know who have a wide range of electronics had restricted ourselves so, we would have ended up with less and had to pay more for it. Obviously there are risks, but the nature of such transactions is that the circumstances change so much from one to the next, having bloody-minded hard and fast rules based on supposition and prejudice - as opposed to judgement and experience - is as to needlessly burden oneself with a highly inconvenient restriction.

A more useful response might suggest researching the provenance of the item and the trading history of the seller. Another indicator is whether the payment process offers redress in the event of certain issues, such as the extra protection Paypal can provide.
If I were to express notes of caution, it would be around concerns arising from such the spike in demand for such items that appeared as soon as Apple EOL'd that product. That situation can leave careless buyers liable to con artists selling fake Chinese copies, or worse - non-existent goods. However that potential merely requires caveat emptor, as opposed to a damning indictment of the whole notion!
I understand your point; but given the information available, I gave my opinion; there should be no fits of disgust; you gave a number of reasons to be cautious; and although I may not be a raving expert on IPods, I dare say I might buy more electronics than do you. I mentioned a very specific reason why I would be cautious, as did you. Most of what I have purchased of late have all been new items, an oscilloscope and a Swiss Military Shortwave Radio; very nice.
If I purchased this type of item, the IPod, and I REALLY wanted it, Of course I'd buy it! But I would prefer a new unit or an alternative. Maybe many DO often purchase these used; I would not; (but not for many of the reasons you cite), which sound angry without reason; surely if more info was shared to show that the purchase was "genuinely covered", there would be no question to ask, would there? Yet the question was posed - and it seemed that by the very act of asking, there is some concern as to whether it is a "safe" purchase that could be counted on; all things considered, I will stay with my original opinion. Over the last few decades, I have found it pays to purchase certain items when they are new. Electronics is one of those categories. So, we disagree. Big deal.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
NightWash
Site Admin

Post by NightWash »

Well, i wouldn't go for it. Apple doesn't support it anymore, so you won't receive any updates for it and so on. Additionally there is an opening market for high-end mp3 players - sadly most of them cost around 1000 pound or something.
But i have heard some good things about FiiO - maybe this is an option: FiiO X3 Portable MP3 Player. Sure it only has 8GB of internal memory, but you can extend it with a microSD card which maybe even better.

They have different models, maybe you should look around a bit. Other vendors also offer microSD slots to extend the internal memory.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Well thank you all for your advice I think my starting point will be to contact the company selling it and try and get more detail on the warranty.

In all honesty I cannot understand why Apple have dropped this, on the face of it looks like a wonderful piece of kit and soooooo much memory!

Ah well :!:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah you missed the thread on this awhile back. Apple really didn't announce it, as far as I remember and they just discontinued it because they said something about some parts are ' hard to obtain ' or something like that. I'm skeptical about buying a used or reconditioned electronic equipment, especially an ipod so buyer beware. A 160 gb could of been had in the states for $ 250.00 before the announcement and now they go for $400+ on ebay.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i bought one of these off of ebay and it crashed completely within two months- the dreaded 'red x' appeared on the screen after it was dropped one night while i was listening to it. my guess would be that apple discontinued it because this is a very common occurrence with this particular model- while i was looking for some kind of way to fix it myself the amount of similar stories i came across seemed to me more the rule than the exception. the only person i know who has one that still 'works' has to listen to it while it's hooked up to a laptop because the headphone jack went dead.

i ended up buying a nano and i'm very happy with it. while i don't have every single album that i own with me at all times it cost $150 new at the apple store and in the end it seems i only listen to a rotation of about 10 albums over and over in a week even with all the time i spend commuting and working. it reminds me a lot of my listening habits when i had a cassette walkman- i could only carry about 10 tapes with me at a time. plus it's very light and difficult to drop (it weighs less than the earbud headphones).
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

$100 in the States.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... audio.html

Fiio X1 Portable High Resolution Lossless Music Player (Silver)

The silver Fiio X1 Portable High Resolution Lossless Music Player is a pocket-sized audio player with a built-in Texas Instruments PCM5142 DAC chip and an Intersil ISL28291 chip. The player supports five lossless audio formats including APE, FLAC, ALAC, WMA and WAV. The player has a microSD card slot that supports up to 128GB of memory expansion. The built-in rechargeable battery recharges via USB and provides up to 11 hours of continuous playback. The player is also equipped with a 2" TFT color display with adjustable brightness.

Supports Five Lossless Audio Formats
Texas Instruments PCM5142 DAC Chip
Intersil ISL28291 Amplifier Chip
Switchable Headphone/Line Out
MicroSD Card Slot Supports up to 128GB
2" TFT Color LCD Display
Lightweight Aluminum Chassis
Scroll Wheel with Textured Rubber
Built-In Battery Lasts up to 11 Hours
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Or you can buy a 128 gig iPhone and use a bunch of apps that will play lossless / flac / etc.

or

http://astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak10/ak10_feature.asp

or

https://itunes.apple.com/app/golden-ear ... 45101?mt=8

and many more.
Design.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've got an iPod Classic but tend to use my iPhone to stream from a Spotify premium subscription. Pretty much job done unless you want to listen to Perplexa. For really esotheric stuff not on standard streaming services, you can always shove stuff up on Deezer. I tend to just browse and listen to something unknown on the odd occasion when Spotify is not helpful. Paying for storage is so 2002 :lol: .
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Olan's got his head in the cloud..

Best place to be.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I assumed the iPod Classic was dropped as modern phone storage capacity now means a separate music player isn't as necessary as it once was. Also as storage has come down so far in price, these days paying the sort of premium for an Apple product that back when I bought my old fashioned 30gB iPod was worthwhile, due to the ubiquitous nature of the iPod back then.

The various different non-standardized competitor products were only a bit cheaper back when the iPod dominated the market, compared with more recently. Plus way back, it seemed each manufacturer had a different proprietory protocol for interfacing with a computer. An iPod was a known quantity in terms of interface friendliness - even if it still had the typical Apple problems relating to the prohibitive cost of repairs, or replacement screens and batteries - due to deliberate design elements to prevent users from carrying out maintenance.

I imagined Apple considered the iPod Classic had reached its natural end of life, given the increased functionality of the iPod Touch. Given the number of die hard Apple fans, in addition to the regular folks who find some of their products fulfill a specific need better than the competition - I would have thought when they decided to announce the product's end of life, they would have anticipated a short term increase in demand and adjusted production accordingly. Given the vertical integration of Apple's business model I would expect them to be well placed to react fast to changing market conditions. Given all that's now known about their sharp business practices, I'm surprised that the demand for the discontinued product and the inevitable price premium created has lasted so long, as opposed to a quick short term reaction such as would seem inevitable for such an iconic product.

What puts me off iPhones is the design philosophy that precludes using standard modern solid state storage mediums, instead you need to anticipate your memory requirements at the point of purchase, with no upgrade potential. Whereas an Android phone (such as the cheap Samsung model I'm typing this on) allows the use of micro SD cards - I can't remember whether the maximum my phone takes is 32 or 64 gB, but I find it more flexible to use multiple smaller (and relatively cheaper) memory cards that can be rotated and added to as necessary.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Actually, Toshiba and other disk companies stopped making the ultra slim drives. Apple was stuck not being able to buy more parts for it. Apple designs and must outsource other companies to build components (to Apples specs or not) for their products.

I've used Apple products since 82. I live in their world and really like it since it all works well together.

M
Design.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

MODLAB wrote:Actually, Toshiba and other disk companies stopped making the ultra slim drives. Apple was stuck not being able to buy more parts for it. Apple designs and must outsource other companies to build components (to Apples specs or not) for their products.
I'd have thought the trend towards SSD storage would have increased the demand for that type of item. Is the type of drive Apple used here different to that used in tablets or laptops?

I know they use outsourced/contract OEMs like Foxconn, but I'd have thought they would have been such big customers (ie have sufficient clout) they wouldn't be left at the mercy of big tech companies stopping production of specific components. They must have a far more tightly integrated distribution and retail model than any of their competitors, with a few exceptions such as Dell.

Presumably if they thought there was a long term future for a quite feature-limited product such as the iPod Classic, they would have commissioned a suitable replacement?

I was surprised to learn recently that Music Group (owners of brands such as Behringer, Midas, Klark Teknik, Turbosound etc) have decided to use their own manufacturing facilities to build their own design AD converters - to use in place of a very common Cirrus Logic chip, currently playing an important part inside their digital audio products such as mixing consoles and studio interfaces (and widely used inside competitor products).

Whilst that group of companies is now one of the biggest in its sector, that is still a very small and specialized market - where most technological developments are dependant on technology developed originally for mass market commercial or consumer goods. Even big companies like Yamaha who have an interest in this specialized market, have been constrained by the development and production of components primarily used in far bigger market sectors.
Dave Chappelle
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

jack white wrote:Olan's got his head in the cloud..

Best place to be.
I am on my third classic. The first died due to HDD failure, the second was about to die when it was stolen from my office so my former employer replaced it ( :D new model too :D ) . I have a horrible record blowing up HDDs so anything that doesn't involve one suits me. You should the the paranoid lengths I go to backing up the NAS drives at home so I don't have to rip my CDs again. Spotify is OK through some el cheapo earbuds on the move, but at home we are lossless and prefer to buy rather than stream as we reckon we get something for our ££ and the artist gets paid. Dean Wareham's views on Spotify were a real eye-opener.

The cloud can do one as far as I am concerned though. I'd manage my own physical storage and have some control who has access to it.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

mojo filters wrote:
MODLAB wrote:Actually, Toshiba and other disk companies stopped making the ultra slim drives. Apple was stuck not being able to buy more parts for it. Apple designs and must outsource other companies to build components (to Apples specs or not) for their products.
I'd have thought the trend towards SSD storage would have increased the demand for that type of item. Is the type of drive Apple used here different to that used in tablets or laptops?

I know they use outsourced/contract OEMs like Foxconn, but I'd have thought they would have been such big customers (ie have sufficient clout) they wouldn't be left at the mercy of big tech companies stopping production of specific components. They must have a far more tightly integrated distribution and retail model than any of their competitors, with a few exceptions such as Dell.

Presumably if they thought there was a long term future for a quite feature-limited product such as the iPod Classic, they would have commissioned a suitable replacement?

I was surprised to learn recently that Music Group (owners of brands such as Behringer, Midas, Klark Teknik, Turbosound etc) have decided to use their own manufacturing facilities to build their own design AD converters - to use in place of a very common Cirrus Logic chip, currently playing an important part inside their digital audio products such as mixing consoles and studio interfaces (and widely used inside competitor products).

Whilst that group of companies is now one of the biggest in its sector, that is still a very small and specialized market - where most technological developments are dependant on technology developed originally for mass market commercial or consumer goods. Even big companies like Yamaha who have an interest in this specialized market, have been constrained by the development and production of components primarily used in far bigger market sectors.

Sadly, there was not enough demand anymore for the ultra slim drive (yes, it was smaller than your typical laptop drive), thus means it was not monetarily viable. SSD is much more as we have seen that over the years.

Foxconn and many other suppliers manufacture Apple specific parts but you also have parts that are standard across the the industry in which all must use. Unless, yes that unless... you know what I mean... you would need to engineer it yourself which would not be cost effective for maybe 100K worth of customers.

I miss my 160... It was my iPod in my car where I could reach to listen to pretty much anything.

Apple have their way which I understand and yes they do frustrate me at times, I do pay a premium but I also have hardly any problems with my kit. It saves me tonnes of money over the year.

M
Design.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This Thead is yet another great example of why I enjoy, and in so many ways have also learned and benefitted from this SITE.
The collective knowledge and experiences of people who really enjoy music, and enjoy sharing what they know or have experienced is beneficial to everyone who cares enough to read it.

Once again, the people of this SITE come through with answers to questions that help, and it is Wonderful to see it.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

The cloud is great until you hit an area with no cell tower coverage.

At that point, you're back to physical storage. Outages and lack of coverage is a reality.

Not to mention streaming music largely sounds like ass.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

davedecay wrote:The cloud is great until you hit an area with no cell tower coverage.

At that point, you're back to physical storage. Outages and lack of coverage is a reality.

Not to mention streaming music largely sounds like ass.
I would not disagree with the coverage issue. That can be overcome by putting tunes onto your device for emergencies. I would disagree with the view that ' streaming music largely sounds like ass'. The better services (Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, Bancamp are all fine through the kind of earbuds or headphones most of us use on the move and allow for off-line access if you pay the premium rate. I can distinguish between Spotify's higher-res streams and high bitrate MP3 and the lossless file. The lower-res free streams are OK for walking about, but obviously will sound shite on a decent system (but then so too will a 128 KBps MP3) and the adverts are a pain in the arse.

Let's face it, much of the sound quality will depend on how good your DAC/Streamer/PC setup is. My experience is that I am quite happy with Spotify via iPhone in place of my classic for mobile use. At home, the classic sounds rubbish played through my DAC (and no better than Spotify) when compared with FLACs . But then, being an old fart, I would much rather play LPs than FLACs for serious listening.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Sony just came out with an mp3 player, but it is on the high end for ' audiophiles ' and it costs $1,200.00 ! I think they missed the boat and this one and should have made an affordable mp3 player to fill the gap for the termination of the ipod classic :

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/749314 ... 2-ces-2015

That is what the companies want you to do is store things on the ' cloud '. They want a continual revenue stream and what better way than pay $3.99/month or whatever plan you have to store things on their server. Western Digital now makes an external server that seems pretty good and reasonable and it'll pay for itself within a few years time and I think it costs $ 180.00 and easy to set-up.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote:
jack white wrote:Olan's got his head in the cloud..

Best place to be.
The cloud can do one as far as I am concerned though. I'd manage my own physical storage and have some control who has access to it.
I must admit i'm a bit paranoid about the whole cloud thing.

As for ipods etc. i've not used a mobile music listening device since the days of cassette walkmans :roll: :arrow:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, it's like why would I want to store my information on someone's private server when I don't have to and for a fee !
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Sony makes a cool one for 300, lots of space with add on cards
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Interesting reading here. I guess a lot of it comes down to how much music you essentially need on you at any time.

I recently obtained a 'grade A' iPhone 4S via an ebay seller for a great price - as I'd felt the 32GB I'd had on its predecessor was more than adequate for my needs, I went for that memory size too, as the memory size bumps up the price almost exponentially.

However this phone was faulty. In a stunning example of customer service and goodwill, I was asked if I would accept an all-black model :twisted: and with 64GB memory in exchange for good feedback? Even better, this device clearly had never been used unlike the original. Pretty amazing.

Now I'm still running about 25GB free, even though I've gone through a mad binge transferring everything I kinda really like.

Also, whatever other flaws iTunes has, which it certainly does, for me it more than makes up for it by being a fast and reliable transfer utility - I mean should I run out of albums to listen to, adding a few new ones takes minutes, if that.

I worked with a Samsung 'Music' Galaxy not that long ago that boasted stuff like micro stereo speakers and was the coolest looking I've ever carried in my pocket other than a bag of drugs... joking.

But it was dark blue and light and had the Micro-SD option, and of course the one thing the iPhones and related will never have - the seamless transfer of material from anywhere, simply via a USB.

Yes... Apple's micro-management of every aspect of your digital life takes some getting used to, but in balance, the Galaxy phone became slower the bigger the memory card I used and when I started to fill it, it became noticeably sluggish. Sure, Apple's thing of inbuilt memory disallowing extra capabilities down the line is annoying (if not shrewd from a business sense) but the lightning fast operating speed works for me...

The one thing least discussed here is the actual sound quality on these portable devices. Regardless of earbud/headphone quality... hands down the best sound quality I've ever had the pleasure to experiencing via portable media was on this thing:

I was given this as a gift from an ex around a decade ago - I got to keep her one too, haha! - and despite a measly 1GB (which meant it was the superior model, the other versions having 500MB and 256MB sizes!!) it changed my musical life.

Sony at the time had their own take of the mp3 format which was called ATRAC. As these devices still function today - and are about the weight of an AAA battery! - it's easy to hear how good the music sounds on them.

The bass is full and rounded, the stereo image seems exactly right, the 3D aspect of more innovative artists is fully resolved.. plus a handy and completely adjustable EQ system means you can hear this shit exactly as you want or need.

(Apple's pre-sets are mostly bullshit)

Sadly Sony ditched the ATRAC system as mp3 had become the standard, which is shit really - perhaps like the whole Betamax Vs. VHS thing.

Apple won... the dicks.

I tell you though, the likes of the LAG Radio City 2010 show rip never sounds as good as it does on here, nor does the 1993 version of In Utero, Metal Box, Can's Tago Mago, Let it Come Down... fuck the Pono! Sadly, I can delete albums from this thing but I can't put them back on in the ATRAC format at least.

But for me it's noticeable with the iPhone and such how much more 'sterilised' music sounds, even using bigger bit rates via Apple. The 3D thing is weak in comparison, and I can no longer get the deep bass thing I could lose myself into. This is I guess where Neil Young is coming from. Wonder if he ever heard ATRAC or ATRAC plus?

Horses for courses though. I think in about 5 years there will be some awesome advances in this, offering stunning sounding music without great expense and vast memory sizes. Gotta hope so anyway. Like I say, the Sony devices still work perfectly. So I'm not just relying on rose-tinted earphones....
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I think I must have bought one of the last 160GB iPod Classics available and it took me a couple of weeks to locate one, but I did and I'm very pleased with it.

I still can't find any decent argument for dropping this excellent machine. I researched a few other options such as the FiiO player but nothing seemed to be quite the same. I have a friend who has an iRiver which he likes a lot as it's a recordable machine but these too aren't easy to find and are very pricey.

So there isn't a definitive high capacity mp3 player on the market anymore which is a bizarre marketing decision as far as I'm concerned. I like the idea of having lots of music in my pocket or on holiday. I don't have an iPhone and have always found phones very unsatisfying as music players, so I'll stick my with 160GB til it eventually gives up the ghost. Maybe a competitor will seize on the gap in the market and produce something comparable to an iPod Classic. Hope so anyway...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
It's true enough that a properly encoded Ogg file (or MP3, or AAC file) will be indistinguishable from the original at a moderate bitrate.
:)
Design.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I need to read back through this thread and think there was another one too (may be wrong) to get my head around some of this and the terminology. (I also seem to remember Runcible trying to track one down last year....).

Anyway, my wife bought me a 160GB Classic a while ago for a present and I was really happy that I could get a significant amount of my music into one place. I tried listening to it the other day, and it seems to have completely died. Everything's on there, but just won't actually play. I have no idea why - it was working one day, and then stopped the next. I guess I wipe it clean and resync it, and see if that helps, but need to spend some time on iTunes first as things have gone awry there too!

It seems utterly bizarre that Apple have taken away a product that allows people to have a lot of music in one place.

I might be wrong on this, but would it work if I uploaded everything to a Cloud account, and then even though my iPhone is only 16GB, I could access it from there????
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Dreamweapon wrote:
I might be wrong on this, but would it work if I uploaded everything to a Cloud account, and then even though my iPhone is only 16GB, I could access it from there????
You could but 160GB of cloud storage wouldn't be cheap, which is what I think Apple is aiming for. They would get continual revenue for providing something less useful (in my opinion) than before. You could set up your own network storage which would be a larger initial outlay but have much more space and flexibility. I've done this and can now access all of my files from anywhere.
It's nice to be liked,
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Thanks for this. Still getting my head round various bits of terminology. I have finally got my new computer (need to spend a significant amount of time arranging folders etc), but I have been given 2 years of unlimited Cloud storage with it, and then discounted rates after that.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Well I have managed to source one in excellent condition at a very fair price many many thanks Rameses :D

Now begins the ask of populating it :)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I got one of these quite recently (2 Christmases ago), and I love it. I think it is madness that they have been discontinued.

I'm very much of the (old fogey?) mindset that a phone is a phone and a music player is a music player. I really dislike spotify (go Team Taylor! :D ) and streaming music. Far too impersonal and shafting the artists. I like to own music, and whenever possible I will pay for it. Most of my iPod is made up of my ripped CDs. If something is on youtube and not available to buy, I have to make an mp3 and stick it on the iPod. But for most cases, I like to give the artist the money.

I currently have 9590 songs on my iPod. I think I still may have 40% of it's capacity still free to use. I'm still in awe of the luxury of being able to have all your music in one place with you. So long as you are using some good headphones, you really can't bitch about the sound quality too much either.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I have 10,180 songs on my 80 GB with some room to spare.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's incredible the amount of music you can fit onto these... Mine has over 14,000 songs (that's 50 days playing) which includes loads of elongated Grateful Dead wig-outs! Still got 40GB left.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've got a 160GB Ipod too. I have no allegience to Apple but when I was getting a new music player a couple of years back it was the only brand with that kind of capacity.

The fact they are being phased out gives the impression (1) they don't really care about proper music fans, it's just a lifestyle accessory thing (2) they want you to keep buying new ipods rather than get a massive one like this and stick with it

I also can't see the appeal in using a phone as an mp3 player.. it's just .. weird...

runcible wrote:It's incredible the amount of music you can fit onto these... Mine has over 14,000 songs (that's 50 days playing) which includes loads of elongated Grateful Dead wig-outs! Still got 40GB left.
I think they were designed to fit other media on such as movies (which obviously take up lots more space).. but music fans like us can instead just cram it with endless music and never worry about filling it!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:
I think they were designed to fit other media on such as movies (which obviously take up lots more space).. but music fans like us can instead just cram it with endless music and never worry about filling it!
This is exactly the point. When we lived in Australia, I would spend 3-4months each year away from home due to work, mostly in the UK. Pre-iPod i the late 1990s I would carry loads of CDs in a clamshell container. The iPOD came along and I could bring everything and save myself space and weight in the luggage. I might stream to the phone now, but the classic still goes on all my overseas trips.....
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

After getting mine working again (see my earlier post!), I have now lost it!

I'm utterly gutted about this - have absolutely NO idea where on earth it is! I've searched everywhere, and traced my last steps since when I knew I had it, but nothing.......... :(

Does anyone have an iPod Classic 160GB in full working order they might be willing to sell?

Still find it utterly bizarre that this has been discontinued - what were they thinking?!

Many thanks in advance for any help on this....
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

What a great thread! No idea what you're talking about in some of it but it's a helpful and insightful read overall.

I've got two iPods. One bought on honeymoon in NYC back in 2004, which still works but needs a daily charge, the battery has a life of it's own, sometimes looks fully charged but the clonks out after playing one song. I think it's a 3rd generation one.

I also have a 4th generation one which gave up the ghost last year and lays dead in a cupboard at home full of old wires and gadgets of different sorts. This one had disc errors, battery deaths, sad face screens, exclamation marks but whilst it was alive and well it was a beauty to have. Stored thousands of songs in its 80gb storage. If I can find a way of fixing this then I really would. If anyone has knowledge of this or thinks it's a worthwhile venture then please do offer some advise.

I've been looking at the 160gb on and off for a good couple of years or so. Such a shame it is no longer made. Does anyone know of a reliable place to purchase one? I really love having an iPod on the go as I commute for an hour getting to work and an hour home so always use it to listen to music or read. Having one on holiday is a nice thing to do as well, hooked up to a small player in a hotel room, or playing on the go.

Apple is my only experience. Before that it was the Sony Walkman ( I skipped the portable cd player era, and minidiscs too).
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

olan wrote:
This is exactly the point. When we lived in Australia, I would spend 3-4months each year away from home due to work, mostly in the UK. Pre-iPod i the late 1990s I would carry loads of CDs in a clamshell container. The iPOD came along and I could bring everything and save myself space and weight in the luggage. I might stream to the phone now, but the classic still goes on all my overseas trips.....
:lol: I am in Sydney at the moment 'working'. I got the train out from my main work site in The Rocks to a alternate north of the harbour today (great journey over the harbour bridge - very beautiful). This school kid got on the train and pointed to my iPod classic and said 'What is that?' I told him it was an iPod. 'Is it a Phone?' he asked. 'Nope, it just plays music, no internet, no phone, no touch screen, no apps or games and definitely no YouTube.' He looked shocked at the idea. I'm guessing he was 16/17 and clueless about something I regard as pathbreaking technology :roll: Fucking kids eh? :shock:
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

olan wrote:
:lol: I am in Sydney at the moment 'working'. I got the train out from my main work site in The Rocks to a alternate north of the harbour today (great journey over the harbour bridge - very beautiful). This school kid got on the train and pointed to my iPod classic and said 'What is that?' I told him it was an iPod. 'Is it a Phone?' he asked. 'Nope, it just plays music, no internet, no phone, no touch screen, no apps or games and definitely no YouTube.' He looked shocked at the idea. I'm guessing he was 16/17 and clueless about something I regard as pathbreaking technology :roll: Fucking kids eh? :shock:
i still can't get me head around 'sliced bread' i think it is called. the best thing, aparently, since the apple in eden
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

apparently slicing your own bread for toast or sandwiches was such an arduous and annoying task that pre-sliced bread became the new benchmark of convenience.

never mind automatic coffee makers that turn on 30 minutes before you get out of bed!

"I also have a 4th generation one which gave up the ghost last year and lays dead in a cupboard at home full of old wires and gadgets of different sorts. This one had disc errors, battery deaths, sad face screens, exclamation marks but whilst it was alive and well it was a beauty to have. Stored thousands of songs in its 80gb storage. If I can find a way of fixing this then I really would. If anyone has knowledge of this or thinks it's a worthwhile venture then please do offer some advise."

I still have a box of iPod parts, 4th gen and earlier. For a time I did iPod repairs on the side. If the logic board works, a battery and another hard drive can be swapped in. Where are you located in the world? I'm in the USA.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

http://stuccu.co.uk/s/Ipods+Classic-MbS ... AtIb8P8HAQ

plus amazon plus there are repair companies listed on google- which has everything except tax recipts

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

davedecay wrote:apparently slicing your own bread for toast or sandwiches was such an arduous and annoying task that pre-sliced bread became the new benchmark of convenience.

never mind automatic coffee makers that turn on 30 minutes before you get out of bed!

"I also have a 4th generation one which gave up the ghost last year and lays dead in a cupboard at home full of old wires and gadgets of different sorts. This one had disc errors, battery deaths, sad face screens, exclamation marks but whilst it was alive and well it was a beauty to have. Stored thousands of songs in its 80gb storage. If I can find a way of fixing this then I really would. If anyone has knowledge of this or thinks it's a worthwhile venture then please do offer some advise."

I still have a box of iPod parts, 4th gen and earlier. For a time I did iPod repairs on the side. If the logic board works, a battery and another hard drive can be swapped in. Where are you located in the world? I'm in the USA.
I live in the UK, in a nice seaside town.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

IPOD Classic -160GB

Post by BzaInSpace »

Gotta love Stonehaven!

I continue to use my iPhone primarily as a Walkman, alarm clock and occasional text service.

It's fast, reliable and as it was a brand new 5 version, the battery life is fantastic.

Few new presets for audio in music app, but they should work on a 3-5 band equaliser, that would be excellent.

Re-reading my last post here about the Sony device is sad, as the iPhone music experience is lacking that panoramic and dynamic magnificence: the bass on LAG and proper heavy dub sounded incredible with this thing.

iPhone just sounds... neutered in some way. Listen with outstanding earbuds too, so it's not a headphone issue.

Anyway Apple win due to sheer convenient... the dicks.
O P 8
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Don't suppose anyone has an update on one that may be willing to sell at all please........
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

dude, just get one of these; twin micro SD slots. sounds miles better than any ipod I ever owned and the icing on the cake you don't need to use iTunes \(^. ^)/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XDUOO%C2%AE-JZ4 ... s=xduoo+x3
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I looked at these as they have a good reputation.

What is the maximum capacity one of these can take? I ran out of space on my 120GB ipod. Am I right in thinking it will take 2 separate 128GB memory cards?

Also is 192 the highest quality possible? I use 320 on my ipod.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runcible wrote:I looked at these as they have a good reputation.

What is the maximum capacity one of these can take? I ran out of space on my 120GB ipod. Am I right in thinking it will take 2 separate 128GB memory cards?

Also is 192 the highest quality possible? I use 320 on my ipod.
they take 128GB . I have a mixture of mp3 bitrates (although mainly 320) and flacs on mine.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I have a Fiio X5 which is simply amazing.
Also well worth considering for a budget player is the Fiio M3.
It's nice to be liked,
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

If I had to start new, I'd probably get the FiiO X1 since it's $99 and supports memory cards.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Rameses/Dave Decay :

Can the Fiio be used simultaneously with iTunes or what kind of library ? I know that you load the music via memory card onto the Fiio, but where does the MP3 come from ? Does Fiio come with software for a music library ?

For example I have an iPod and iTunes and when I download a cd or music into iTunes it syncs with my iPod when I charge or hook up the adapter.

Thanks.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

No library software needed. It simply appears as an external usb drive and you drag and drop files or folders to or from it.
It's nice to be liked,
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Rameses, cheers for the answer.

Sounds too easy.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

It is easy. The only issue I have with the Fiio is that it doesn't ignore "the" at the start of artists' names in the mp3 tags like the ipod does, when sorting by artist, so rather than The Beatles being listed under B and The Clash under C for example, they're both under T.
I can work around this by editing the mp3 tags, but it's just a bit annoying.
It's nice to be liked,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

my 160GB ipod is still in good working condition. I am thinking it might be good to sell it, make a tasty profit and buy one of these alternatives people are mentioning.
the problem is, the majority of my music collection is in the itunes file format, which I imagine means that other music players won't recognise it. bloody apple. whatever you do, they have you by the balls..

it's generally just annoying that they have stopped production of an ipod with this kind of capacity.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:my 160GB ipod is still in good working condition. I am thinking it might be good to sell it, make a tasty profit and buy one of these alternatives people are mentioning.
the problem is, the majority of my music collection is in the itunes file format, which I imagine means that other music players won't recognise it. bloody apple. whatever you do, they have you by the balls..

it's generally just annoying that they have stopped production of an ipod with this kind of capacity.
there are easy to use, free converters for formats. i got given apple format tracks and just stuck them in- took a while- but it all converted- but left me with two of each!

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I still can't imagine that they scuppered the iPod and I'm always hoping that they bring it back. My 80gb iPod still works great. I've read other people's comments here where theirs have died after awhile. I would definately keep mine, just buy a Fiio as a backup player.
The Dr
Known user

Re: IPOD Classic -160GB and apple

Post by The Dr »

i was reading how the iphone 7 (i think?) is predicted small sales by apple who are seeing their figures dropping. over saturation? maybe everyone has all the apples they need for a life time? plus the nonapple products are getting better and the market gap is closing

by-the-by has anyone seen aaron sorkin's film about steve jobs?

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yes, I've watched it.

I'm one of these tinfoil hat wearing people who firmly believe in the idea of planned obsolescence as a core principle in the tech world, something particularly prevalent in apple's iOS updates.
& now there's this error 53 controversy.
I don't buy apple products anymore.
I used to have one of those 160gb classics until the hard drive crashed. The geniuses complimented me on keeping it in such good condition for so long but the best they could do for me was a 10% discount on a replacement. I had an iPod touch but the updates have made it so sluggish as to be snail like & besides the earphone socket is busted after water got into it.
I have an iPad that was given as a gift (& I really enjoy - as a gaming platform mostly). But I know eventually it'll stop being supported & be rendered obsolete some stage. Kinda a metaphor for the human condition I guess.. Maybe that's the level they're working on. I've got to get there. Before it's too late. Maybe it already is..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:Yes, I've watched it.

any good? :lol:

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Sorry, I didn't want to colour your expectations with anything like spoilers.

It's very much what you'd expect from sorkin at this stage of his career (Jeff Daniels is it in).

It is good, interesting if maybe a little minor, perhaps undercooked. The approach it takes doesn't glorify Jobs & does a fine job of exploring the workings of the upper echelons of Apple & the relationships between the main parties.
Worth a watch I suppose. I've seen worse.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:Sorry, I didn't want to colour your expectations with anything like spoilers.

It's very much what you'd expect from sorkin at this stage of his career (Jeff Daniels is it in).

It is good, interesting if maybe a little minor, perhaps undercooked. The approach it takes doesn't glorify Jobs & does a fine job of exploring the workings of the upper echelons of Apple & the relationships between the main parties.
Worth a watch I suppose. I've seen worse.

thanks :) i adore sorkin but couldn;t watch the social network (dude that girls hot, is she single? dunno but i'm going to add that to my website! relationship status!' and i dislike mr jobs but form what you've said i think it sounds worth watching, thank you :D

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

interesting...
http://www.wired.com/2014/04/steve-jobs-stereo-system/

Steve Jobs was a closet audiophile. Yes, the man responsible for the iPod and the global domination of low-res MP3 files had a serious Hi-Fi fetish. As musician and audio quality champion Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”

This wasn’t a just wealthy man indulging in some hipster fantasy. Jobs’s analog roots ran deep, stretching back to at least to 1982. That’s when photographer Diana Walker snapped this candid portrait of him in his Woodside, California home. Other than the Tiffany lamp, the room’s only furnishings are a clutch of stereo components and a small stack of vinyl LPs. The shiny boxes loom large in the background like sacred totems, which is precisely what they were to Jobs. They embodied everything he held dear in high-end industrial design: clean lines, quality materials and workmanship, outstanding performance–price be damned. Although he would eventually upgrade to far more exotic equipment, like six-figure Wilson Audio speakers, this old school rig is still considered serious audio porn today. It should have been shipped off to the Smithsonian, preserved behind glass. But, like so many of the toys that famous men collect, it simply disappeared. Fortunately, the photograph and the forensic evidence it contains, remain.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm gonna keep my eye on the Fiio as I am sure my ipod will give up the ghost soon enough (I am also of the view that built in obsolescence is a thing, or at least not building things to last.. six of one, half dozen of the other..). i'm already getting some strange errors sometimes and every now and again iTunes doesn't recognise it.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I just swapped to an iPhone 6 from an 160gb ipod and I really don't like it. I paid a fortune for more storage space but the interface compared to the iPod is rubbish. All the albums get mixed up (some compilations appearing as single tracks when you scroll through the albums list), it's not as loud as an iPod, the scroll function that I used to like on the ipod if you had a long track and wanted to skip a bit (like the SPZ Canada shows we all know and love) is really jumpy and doesn't actually work properly. First world problems and all that but Apples continuous updating of everything is not always for the best. I have to stick with it as I've laid out so much cash but I'd much rather have the iPod back.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots