What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

johnnyboy
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by johnnyboy »

Happy New Year everyone. Hope your yule was cool. My other half and myself both had man/lady flu so spent the last week indoors doing not very much at all. I booked up two gigs yesterday as a way of sticking up two fingers to the illness man.

Gig #1 - Hookworms at the Oval Space, London, 21/3/15
Gig #2 - Moon Duo at Village Underground, London, 30/4/15

Excited by both. Never seen Hookworms live before but have high hopes after reading various reports on here from the likes of Runcible. Seen Moon Duo many times but not since the addition of the drummer, so will be hoping for more of the same greatness but with added boom boom boogie juice.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
niamhm wrote:Twilight Sad, tomorrow night , Stirling Tollbooth, pre festive gig night out. Never seen these guys before but I heard then in a marquee while I queued outside a for drink for the best part of 40 min, last summer :evil:

enjoying the new album so looking forward to a good night of thunderously loud, soul searching misery :)
what did you think of the Twilight Sad gig Niamh? interested to hear your thoughts. The first time I ever saw them was around the time of the first album and it's up there with the best gigs I've ever seen. Seen them loads of times since and although they've never disappointed (James in particular is one of those totally passionate frontmen who you can't take your eyes off), no show has quite had that impact since. "thunderously loud, soul searching misery" is definitely on the cards with them, though :)
Hello Angelsighs, It was a good show, particularly enjoyed the stuff from the new album, really enjoying that just now. James certainly put 100% in then tries for some more, that was a bit of a surprise to me wasn`t expecting him to be so `dramatic`, it was sort of a local warm up show for a bigger gig in Glasgow the following night and maybe wasn`t as loud as I expected and I think they left out their full light show, but it was sold out and a very enthusiastic crowd, good show, reminded me of Mogwai`s recent stuff with a more impassioned singer,
glad you enjoyed it. oh yes James is a proper dramatic frontman, totally mesmerising, he always gives 110%.
They always play at a decent volume, but I have a feeling they may have reached the point where they are scaling that back a bit, as they don't want to rely on it too much. Plus I guess it depends on the venue (the loudest I saw them was when they supported Mogwai, so was a proper big PA- blew my ears out!!)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Kicking off 2015 this Saturday with Mark Lanegan. To be followed by:

The Afghan Whigs
Pond
JAMC in Birmingham
A Place To Bury Strangers
Moon Duo

Due to the other half having a small windfall we have picked up early bird tickets for Life, Body & Soul and Electric Picnic festies. Might not go to Life in the end though, will know closer to the date.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

also mark lanegan tonight (belfast)
only 2nd night of this leg of touring (galway last night), so not expecting a fully polished affair. hoping to get one or two of the newer tracks (floor of the ocean/torn red heart).
of course if the weather doesn't break i might not be going too far.. :!:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The War on Drugs and The Manic Street Preachers (playing The Holy Bible in its entirety), both at Edinburgh's wonderful Usher Hall. Seated for both gigs. Yes, me and my good lady are getting old :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

It seems there's a possibility of Gnod playing Dublin in May. :D :D :D

Fingers crossed.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Dead Meadow w/ The Cosmic Dead in Glasgow mid-March. Another 14+ show, so my son can come along and witness the amazing show put on by both of them.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've got Julian Cope, The Jesus and Mary Chain and The War Against Drugs (finally) all in Liverpool in February. Then there a bit of travelling for The Heads :D :D :D, GYBE! and several shows by Ride to look forward to. That is a lot of gigs for an old git like me.....
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I missed out on tickets for the Julian Cope Glasgow date. So gutted :(
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

mc wrote:I missed out on tickets for the Julian Cope Glasgow date. So gutted :(

Yeah, me too. Didn't realise it was part of the King Tuts anniversary shows which would have probably generated more interest than usual. I think he shoudl do another Brain Donor tour to compensate :twisted:
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Oh man, a Brain Donor tour would make my decade! Alas, I read somewhere (here? headheritage forum?) that he isn't working with Doggen any more... :(
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

mc wrote:Oh man, a Brain Donor tour would make my decade! Alas, I read somewhere (here? headheritage forum?) that he isn't working with Doggen any more... :(
I caught them first time around when Brain Donor came to Glasgow... its was better than all your possible expectations! 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Julian Cope played the Glee Club in Birmingham, I didn't realise! would have gone to that.

my upcoming list is something like this:

definites:
Earth (Birmingham)
The Jesus & Mary Chain (Birmingham)
The Heads (London)
Godspeed You Black Emperor (Manchester)
The Twilight Sad (Leicester)
Ride (Manchester)

maybes:
Pond (Birmingham)
Thurston Moore (Birmingham)
A Place To Bury Strangers (Birmingham)

some pretty rockin times to look forward to..

was hoping to catch The War on Drugs and Ryan Adams too, but not looking possible due to where the dates are falling.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Forthcoming fun includes

Calexico (Manchester), Moon duo (liverpool), Heads (London), Ride (Manchester), White Hills (Salford), Eternal Tapestry (Manchester),
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Julian Cope just announced a Dublin gig for April so picked up a ticket this morning. :D

Other new additions to my list a few posts up are The Viet Cong and Swans, both in May. Still waiting on confirmation for Gnod in May too.

Just realised that Cope gig is the same day as GYBE! which is good news 'cos it means there is absolutely no chance of me been tempted by Godspeed now. Seen them 3 or 4 times and I think i'm done, i always end up getting bored pretty quickly at their gigs.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Mogwai 20th anniversary gig at the Roundhouse.
Design.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Just scored tickets for the mighty King Crimson in September. Not sure if me & the missus will be able to go given her health troubles, but I'll risk any sum of money for Fripp & co. :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Courtney Barnett at the Brudenell in March.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Supposed to be going to check out Viet Cong at Broadcast in Glasgow tonight , Canadian post-punk/noise merchants, but some viral/flu type thing has going through our house like wild fire this week, I seem to have got off lightest, but still feeling pretty shitty,

hopefully will rally round in the afternoon a bit, was looking forward to catching these guys, will be pretty peeved if I have to blow it out ( yep, I know, what a wuss, but I`m not getting any younger here)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Tickets purchased for Hookworms at the end of the month, looking forward to seeing these guys, 1st headline gig in Scotland I think,

Anthropropph at the end of March, been a slow start to the year gig wise but warming up nicely :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:Just scored tickets for the mighty King Crimson in September. Not sure if me & the missus will be able to go given her health troubles, but I'll risk any sum of money for Fripp & co. :D
quite tempted by this myself. I am encouraged by the fact they are playing a lot of the 70s material which i like, but even then there are as many cringey moments, as moments of gold.
the tickets aint cheap either!!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

RIDE: Roundhouse.
Design.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Luna 3 times across Spain, Ride in Manchester, a few I am putting on, maybe King Crimson.... The Heads probably too.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Just got tickets to see Prolapse in Manchester too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Swervedriver / Lumerians : Thalia Hall, Chicago : March 14th
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bagged a ticket for Supersonic Festival in June. they are funding via kickstarter this year with various rewards (lathe cut 7", posters and the like, and the grand reward of a day to yourself in a moog installation) but it was the opening salvo of the lineup that appealed to me- The Pop Group, Six Organs and Eternal Tapestry is perfect for starters. Ben from Six Organs will also apparently give a workshop on his Hexadic system... interesting..
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:bagged a ticket for Supersonic Festival in June. they are funding via kickstarter this year with various rewards (lathe cut 7", posters and the like, and the grand reward of a day to yourself in a moog installation) but it was the opening salvo of the lineup that appealed to me- The Pop Group, Six Organs and Eternal Tapestry is perfect for starters. Ben from Six Organs will also apparently give a workshop on his Hexadic system... interesting..
That looks awesome. I might be tempted. I'll wait to see if there are some Six Organs shows elsewhere though. Manic time of year for me work-wise...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mary Chain next week
A Place To Bury Strangers (March)
Julian Cope (April)

Then things get busy in May:
Moon Duo
The Pop Group
Daddy Long Legs
The Primitives
Viet Cong
Swans

It'll be my first time seeing the middle four May groups, which is a bonus. I dislike having the feeling of only going to bands that i've seen before.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Mary Chain next week
A Place To Bury Strangers (March)
Julian Cope (April)

Then things get busy in May:
Moon Duo
The Pop Group
Daddy Long Legs
The Primitives
Viet Cong
Swans

It'll be my first time seeing the middle four May groups, which is a bonus. I dislike having the feeling of only going to bands that i've seen before.
Saw Cope a few weeks back, very enteraining, but not a gig, much like a psychedelic cabaret act. Much laughing though, so recommended. I went to JAMC last week and thought it was a bit poor, which was a disappointment as I was really looking forward to it.

I will be in Dublin for work the three days after the Patti Smith/Spiritualized thing happens and was scheduled to fly in late on the day. This means that I shall rearrange my flights to early morning and attend the show. The fact that someone else picks up the tab for hotels and meals is an added bonus!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

off the top of my head;
White Hllls (Salford), Courtney Barnettt (Manchester), Calexico(Manchester), Giant Sand (Liverpool), Moon Duo (Liverpool),
Eternal Tapestry (Manchester), Kim Gordon-book reading/interview type (Manchester), Heads (London), Clinic (Manchester), Ride (Manchester), Anthroproph(Manchester), Duke Garwood (probably(Manchester)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Aquarian-Time wrote:off the top of my head;
White Hllls (Salford), Courtney Barnettt (Manchester), Calexico(Manchester), Giant Sand (Liverpool), Moon Duo (Liverpool),
Eternal Tapestry (Manchester), Kim Gordon-book reading/interview type (Manchester), Heads (London), Clinic (Manchester), Ride (Manchester), Anthroproph(Manchester), Duke Garwood (probably(Manchester)
And I thought the arrival of the new baby would kerb your gig going somewhat :wink:

I've got Earth tonight then hopefully Spectres next week. The Cardinal Fuzz night in London Sunday week is looking on at the moment but rail works dependent. Dead Meadow and The Vacant Lots both have gigs in Brighton in March so they're hopefully doable. And then its the big one....The Heads in London in April 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote: And I thought the arrival of the new baby would kerb your gig going somewhat :wink:
I was gonna say the same thing ;) looks like the Aquarian Time calendar is still as jam packed as ever!

recently added Supersonic Festival, Liverpool Psych Fest and Sonic Boom to my list.

also considering Thurston Moore, The Warlocks, Chameleons Vox and Purling Hiss.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hookworms tomorrow night in Glasgow, 1st headline show I believe ( think they played at 10 am or something for 20 min on a Stag & Dagger bill 2 yr ago) so I think Stereo is looking at a sell out ,looking forward to this, I`ve found The Hum to be a real grower,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Vibracathedral Orchestra in Coventry.
April is becoming rather crammed with gigs!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Spectres tonight. And just added to the list....The Warlocks and SFA both in the same week in May :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Super Furry Animals, Blur, Damon & Naomi, Kikagaku Moyo, Eternal Tapestry, The Pop Group, Sun Kil Moon, David Gilmour, Bjork, Anthroproph, Moon Duo, Idlewild, Mew, Luna x3... So many shows coming up now!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Shinesalight wrote:Spectres tonight. And just added to the list....The Warlocks and SFA both in the same week in May :D 8)
Enjoy, I saw them the other day and they were brilliant!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Don't really know whether to put this in the 'Gigs coming up' or 'Gigs just been to' thread, but I'm genuinely curious how you guys manage to get to so many....!

I simply don't have the time / disposable income / available lifestyle / family circumstances etc to attend them!!! Some of you guys must be shattered at work on a regular basis. Even travelling to and from gigs must take some organsising in order to be able to get to and from work can't always be easy.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

A very patient wife and a job that pays reasonably well(ish) and allows me to be flexibile as I'm almost my own boss really.
PLus being only half hour from Manchester and 40 mins from Liverpool there are so many gigs to go at, not to mention the odd away day. (Luna in Spain is being discussed as we speak)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm single so no family responsibilities to tie me down. in terms of finances, a lot of the gigs I go to are bands of the smaller variety where ticket prices hardly break the bank!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Tonight I shall be popping out later to catch Anthropropph at Nice & Sleazy`s in Glasgow, expecting manic percussion and guitar to be severely put through the testing of its limits, this may apply to my ears as well :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Peter Hook is bringing his cover band/pension plan The Light to Leamington again- doing the next 2 New Order albums. I might go, it was a good show last time to be fair.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Courtney Barnett at the Brudenell on Sunday. Taking a daughter along too which will be interesting...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Today I purchased tickets for Earthless, Daddy Long Legs and Eternal Tapestry. Along with Ride ticket I got for Xmas, this is the most gigs I have organised for years!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Earthless are a band I'd really like to see. anyone know what the UK dates are? can only find details of a Manchester one

Ian McCulloch is doing a solo show at my local venue, I'm tempted but not sure what a Mac solo show will be like.
and he'd better not do a hissy fit like last time!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Glasgow show is on or around the 27th-28th May...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Earthless gig in Manchester. One of the last ever gigs at the Roadhouse before it closes its doors. Ticket snapped up today :D
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

just a few-

jesus and mary chain/the black ryder in a few weeks
no joy in june
white fence in july
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Just about to leave for Spain to see Luna in Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia. By chance, SLEEP are also playing in Barcelona on the last night of my trip. Not sure the mrs would appreciate that, so we'll wait and see......
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Moon Duo, The Pop Group, Daddy Long Legs, The Primitives, The Viet Cong, Fucked Up, Swans (all in May).

The Growlers (July), Dandy Warhols (August), Sleaford Mods (September), Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats (November), Happy Mondays 'Pills and Thrills' (December).

Plus Body & Soul, Electric Picnic and Liverpool Psych Fest. Have tickets for Life but we still haven't decided if we're definitely going.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Last minute decision to go and see James Holden live in Brighton tonight. Even though it's a 'lonesome joe' job I can't really miss seing the man on home soil.

Just wish it wasn't a Sunday night though...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Greeny wrote:Last minute decision to go and see James Holden live in Brighton tonight. Even though it's a 'lonesome joe' job I can't really miss seing the man on home soil.

Saw him last year, it was a belter, enjoy. :)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ok, once again to assist with remembering where Im going and not double booking (still happens !) My updated activitties

Thursday Calexico(Manchester), and Saturday Your Smiling Now But We will All turn to demons/Dead Sea Apes (Manchester)

Ride(manchester), Earthless(Manchester), Moon Duo (Liverpool), maybe Swervedriver ?
Follkazoid(Manchester), Giant sand (Liverpool), Allah Las(Manchester), Kikaguko Moyo(Manchester), Eternal Tapestry (Manchester), Six Organs Of Admittamce(Manchester), Grant Lee Phillips (Liverpool), BRMC (Manchester), The earlies (Manchester), Maybe Dandy Warhols(Manchester, seen them umpteen times though), Luna @ Leeds, Glasgow and Manchester and The Green man Festival

Wow...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Ride(manchester), Earthless(Manchester), Moon Duo (Liverpool), maybe Swervedriver ?
Follkazoid(Manchester), Giant sand (Liverpool), Allah Las(Manchester), Kikaguko Moyo(Manchester), Eternal Tapestry (Manchester), Six Organs Of Admittamce(Manchester), Grant Lee Phillips (Liverpool), BRMC (Manchester), The earlies (Manchester), Maybe Dandy Warhols(Manchester, seen them umpteen times though), Luna @ Leeds, Glasgow and Manchester and The Green man Festival
Hopefully get a chance to grab a beer with you in Manchester... really looking forward to the Eternal Tapestry show :D
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

niamhm wrote:
Greeny wrote:Last minute decision to go and see James Holden live in Brighton tonight. Even though it's a 'lonesome joe' job I can't really miss seing the man on home soil.

Saw him last year, it was a belter, enjoy. :)
It was ace. So glad I made the effort to go along. He is a wizard with all that analogue kit... kind of what EAR would be if Sonic did speed instead of heroin!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Moon Duo tomorrow night at Village Underground (London). Really looking forward to this one. Need some sweet release after a hellish flat move the last few days.

Songhoy Blues at Village Underground 28th May. Saw these on Jools Holland a week or so back and they look a lot of fun. New single playing a lot on 6Music.

(the ever so mighty) Destruction Unit! playing at Shacklewell Arms in London 24th Sept. This is the one I'm looking forward to the most. Last time I saw them live I couldn't make head nor tail of it all and was stood at the bar at the back. All I saw and felt was pure energy, it was insane. This time round I'll be stage front or thereabouts, total involvement.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pleasant surprise for this weekend; Wayne Kramer in conversation plus an acoustic set on Saturday night at a nearby arts festival: http://droghedaartsfestival.ticketsolve ... =873530272

Also have Moon Duo on Friday and The Pop Group on Monday. There is a free gig on Sunday night featuring TAU but I doubt i'll make it, petrol still costs money after all! Busy weekend all the same....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Gnod tonight, then The Warlocks and SFA next week :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

sunray wrote:Pleasant surprise for this weekend; Wayne Kramer in conversation plus an acoustic set on Saturday night at a nearby arts festival: http://droghedaartsfestival.ticketsolve ... =873530272

Also have Moon Duo on Friday and The Pop Group on Monday. There is a free gig on Sunday night featuring TAU but I doubt i'll make it, petrol still costs money after all! Busy weekend all the same....
Enjoy Moon Duo, they were fantastic in London last night! Loud, groovy, hypnotic, best I've seen them sound wise. Total immersion. The support band were excellent too, PinkShinyUltraBlast.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Swans tonight
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Super Furry Animals and Pop Group in the next week, Ride, Blur in Llandudno... Luna again, Low (as ever eh).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Follakzoid playing Birmingham in June!
glad as they aren't playing the psych fest. they were one of the highlights of ATP. you can't beat a krautrock beat live sometimes!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Ryoji Ikeda / RIDE / Some Special Guest in Manchester at Dots & Loops / Mogwai / Harleem Riots / Echo & The Bunnymen.
Design.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Daddy Long legs in Glasgow tonight... band have arrived (they are staying at my brothers during this visit) and are desperate to destroy our ears with their freaked out blues train!!! I cannot fucking wait to meet them all and hear them! One of the best harmonica players around! Bring it on!!!! Oh and a good friend's band is also supporting... party, party PARTY!!!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Just got my tickets for Autechre live in London - an 'all-star' all-nighter at the old Brixton Fridge... shirts off and wrestling that should be!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

some more possibles have started popping up on the horizon..
Diiv at Hare and Hounds in Birmingham next month
Public Image Ltd in Cov- the ticket price is eye watering though, guess someones gotta keep Johnny in kaftans..
and finally The Zombies in December, could be a wild card, I really like their baroque psych pop but I think they'll be touring a new record and it's not the original lineup I don't think..

EDIT: and Gnod in Brum in September!