Will Carruthers: Book of Jobs

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Will has put together a collection of autobiographical tales about his time in various bands and doing various jobs to get by over the years, and is trying to get it out via crowdfunding. Here's an excerpt from the story "Playing the bass with three left hands":

"We both stood on the stage and looked down.
“Look at that.”, said Jason.
I looked at that.
There was a lot of that to look at.
Normally , Dave would have put a neat cross of gaffer tape on the stage for each member of the band. These marks indicated the places that we were to stand so that the stage lights would hit us in a pleasing way.
Instead of his usual boring but useful crosses Dave, in the grip of his current fever, had been inspired to get a bit artistic.
Gaffer taped across every blank space on the stage were weird hieroglyphs and magical symbols of unknown and indecipherable origin and meaning. They looked alien …or Pictish … or demonic, or like the the gaffer taped scribblings of a particularly determined and demented child. It was hard for me to tell at this point. The adrenaline had kicked the acid in to such a degree that I felt the need to have a little sit down somewhere less weird and quite a bit further away from Dave and his art from another dimension.
“Hmm” we both said .
“What the fuck is up with him?”, asked Jason .
“I have no idea man,” , I replied, “I haven’t given him anything and I am pretty sure nobody else has. Maybe we should just wait and see if it wears off …whatever it is. He seems harmless enough.”
“Yeah, “, said Jason, looking down at the peculiar symbols on the stage. “What else can we do?”.
I knew what I was gonna do. I was going to go and sit outside under a tree or a big tractor or something.
“Alright man, see you in a bit.”, I said and exited stage left, passing our dervish on the dance floor who was still not showing any signs of normality or fatigue despite his ongoing discophonic exertions.
I needed to find a tractor fast. There were no tractors outside and no trees either Sadly this was Leeds, all of the posh people had stolen the trees and taken them to York. I settled for a beer and a soothing sit down in the street instead. I would just have to imagine my own damn tree.
“Aum” , I said , settling in to the great breath of the universe. “ Aum”, I said centering my being and bringing my energy down from the crown chakra .
“Aum”, I said as someone poked me and said, “Why did spacemen 3 split up then?”.
I tried to focus on the real reasons and the reasons I was prepared to offer as an explanation.
“Do you want to know the real reason?”, I said, seriously, earnestly, and with peculiar intensity.
“You can never, ever, tell anybody else.”.
“Ok.”, my new friend said.
“I am trying to imagine a tree, our guitar tech has gone bananas, and I am on LSD. Please fuck off.” , I said, kindly.
He seemed to accept this as a perfectly believable reason for the demise of our previous band.
“Ok,”, he said and fucked off."

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/book-of-jobs--3

It looks well worth putting some money into.
heisenberg
Known user

Re: Will Carruthers: Book of Jobs

Post by heisenberg »

Some of the perks are very funny. Will turns up to your house, sings, reads some excepts from the book and sleeps in your seetee for €400.
nogoodboyo
Known user

Post by nogoodboyo »

Don't invite him to play in your garden.
It'll take 5 years for your lawn to recover.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

lovely to see an interview with him here. http://unionlosangeles.com/2014/11/24/c ... arruthers/

funny bit about Sonic dancing. Has anyone ever seen the Big City video?
DanielD
New user

Post by DanielD »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Great article.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

It is a great article. Possibly the only interview with Will I've ever read apart from maybe his contributions to the Spacemen 3 book.

In terms of the Big City video I first found this, and thought it pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffy3uvkcOYI

Then I realised that was put together more recently, and the following link is the proper one. Sonic dancing in clear evidence -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBvfAOvaXmI
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Sonic has now been outed as the true pioneer of 'The Indie Shuffle'

:wink:
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I shall be getting one of the limited 100 run as a Christmas present :D (In January :wink: )
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

#17 / 100 popped through the letter box yesterday and very nice it is too. A real labour of love.

Though i've only skimmed through it seems that the stories will be highly entertaining.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm looking forward to mine arriving!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

# 15 / 100 arrived here in the cornfields of mid-Michigan; looking forward to a good read over the weekend :D
I think I feel it coming on
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Dear book owners!

Please tell us little bit more, what to expect from that book. Well, no need to tell juicy stories before we read themselves, but give some serious feedback! If it is worth the money, then why. Explain yourself, as i find that cash little bit too much to spend on a book, but i am also a demon among the tribe who just can not live without the items that accompany our beloved Rugby crew.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Personally I couldn't justify spending €95 on a book myself but I certainly wasn't going to turn it down as a gift. Although I must confess to suggesting that the cheaper, paperback version would have been more than acceptable!
The other half, who is involved with the arts, saw it for what it was: A numbered and signed limited edition hand made book that is a true labour of love. If you wanted to be crass about it and reduce it to purely economic value, well then she reckons it is worth considerably more than the asking price. The hours of work put into creating each single book by hand far outweigh the cost of it.

On an artistic level the book is a very nice item to have. You get a little typed note from Will explaining the book and it too is signed. Everything has been done by hand: printing, binding, linocuts and of course the typing. By the very nature of its creation each book will be slightly different. It goes in chronological order with a piece about his Dead Skeletons experience following each story. The DS tales also go in chronological order. The stories are varied and funny and, it has to be said, Will has had some really shitty jobs. The fact that these occurred after stints with the Spacemen and Spiritualized is all the more remarkable. As is the fact that he earned more money doing these shitty jobs than his time as a musician. I'm amazed he's not some bitter fuck up!

If you have the cash to spare, well then, yes, take the plunge and get yourself a copy. Personally, I think it is something I will come back to over the years, just dipping in and out of :D
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

sunray wrote:The fact that these occurred after stints with the Spacemen and Spiritualized is all the more remarkable. As is the fact that he earned more money doing these shitty jobs than his time as a musician. I'm amazed he's not some bitter fuck up!
Is that element of it part of the book? Is this something he discusses in detail?
I appreciate your review as i have been thinking about buying it.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I received my paper back copy at the weekend. Haven't had change to look at it properly yet, buy I am looking forward to it.

I wasn't put off by the cost. It is a hand made artefact which is lovely and if you are a fan of Mr Carruther's work it would seem to be a no brainer. I perceive this as being much better value than the purchase of expensively reissued music that one already owns, which I'm sure we've all done. What about those very pricey spacemen three ep reissues last record store day? They were too rich for my blood.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

plastic37 wrote:
sunray wrote:The fact that these occurred after stints with the Spacemen and Spiritualized is all the more remarkable. As is the fact that he earned more money doing these shitty jobs than his time as a musician. I'm amazed he's not some bitter fuck up!
Is that element of it part of the book? Is this something he discusses in detail?
I appreciate your review as i have been thinking about buying it.
He doesn't really go into detail about money earned with the two bands but it gets mentioned a couple of times. I'm still only halfway through but so far he has stated how much he was getting paid for each job he was doing. Like i say though, it doesn't come across as bitterness but more a statement of fact and an acknowledgement of the ridiculousness of it all.
mat1922
Known user

Post by mat1922 »

As noted by the comments above, the book has been put together really beautifully and hours (days?) have clearly been spent on each one. From what I have read so far Will can tell a story too- he is particularly good (perhaps not surprisingly given his experience) on the exploitation of bands by the music business, and the Dead Skeletons stories interweave really well.

It is probably worth noting that if you are looking for lots of Spacemen/ Spiritualized gossip, you will be disappointed, this isn't a book focussing on the bands so much as the jobs that followed. There is one story on the last Spacemen 3 euro tour (the contents of which will be broadly familiar to those who have read the Morse book) and one on Spiritualized. There are a few more about the US Spectrum tour Will did with Pete K later too. But mostly this about the jobs Will has done, as you would expect given the title. If there is demand who knows, maybe he will do a follow up focussing on the band stories, as I am sure there are plenty....
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

sunray wrote:
plastic37 wrote:
sunray wrote:
He doesn't really go into detail about money earned with the two bands but it gets mentioned a couple of times. I'm still only halfway through but so far he has stated how much he was getting paid for each job he was doing. Like i say though, it doesn't come across as bitterness but more a statement of fact and an acknowledgement of the ridiculousness of it all.
Thanks.
I do like these dry accounts of the realities of life at the coal face of music. As you say - the ridiculousness of it all. I mean - how much joy has his contribution to Spacemen 3 given those who post here? But he never actually wrote any songs... and so.... How can we quantify that? Reminds me of stories of revered American blues performers visiting the UK in the 1960s before returning to poverty.

When i was reading Dean Wareham's book i thought it was the most boring thing ever but then reassessed my opinion. I came to admire him greatly for that style. I actually read a large chunk of it again recently.

I don't think i can justify the expense though.
If a few Discogs sales come in I might splash out. I don't see the point in buying the soft cover.

It reminded me of another book of a similar theme that i'd like to recommend.
Lovely object. well written autobiographical account of a contemporary who had a very different life. Strong 'indie' feel to it.
Paratrooper serves in Northern Island, takes acid, lands in Brighton and drifts into the rave scene.
Check it out..
http://stuartgriffiths.net/pigs-disco-b ... griffiths/
Heavy Tourism
SpacemanR
New user

Post by SpacemanR »

Think possibly you may be missing the point? So far the book has been an excellent read regardless of SP3 or SPZ gossip. Just a real insight in to life and the decisions you make.

There is a brilliant chapter so far on SP3 and in particular SPZ but if you want solicious gossip this is not what the book is about.

Thanks Will - Recently read Kim's book, the Super Furries book and many others and this so far is the best. If you like reality, and a genuine glimpse in to the life of a musician this is an essential read. Cheers again man!
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

SpacemanR wrote:Think possibly you may be missing the point?
Nope.

What did you make of Kim Gordon's book?
Every review i have read focuses on the first chapter. Any more you can add? How much detail is there about Sonic Youth song writing?

Cheers,
Heavy Tourism
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Does he mention being fired by fax
Or is that sean cook
When is sean cooks book out
It is time for will to get a real job at sainsburys
Not gouging the sympathetic public with scams
100 pound book?
I would not pay 20 pounds for a john entwhistle
Book
Why would i buy this
Tesco or sainsbury mate
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
SpacemanR
New user

Post by SpacemanR »

Not sure about Kim's book? I think she mentions in it she saw it as a form of therapy and it reads that way. There are some very touching moments and she is obviously devastated about the break up.

There are some interesting chapters on SY but more around band relations and touring and less about song writing.

Interestingly she also seems to have quite a low opinion about the British!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Muscles wrote:Does he mention being fired by fax
Or is that sean cook
When is sean cooks book out
It is time for will to get a real job at sainsburys
Not gouging the sympathetic public with scams
100 pound book?
I would not pay 20 pounds for a john entwhistle
Book
Why would i buy this
Tesco or sainsbury mate
'gouging the sympathetic public with scams'

I'm not sure if you can call Will's quite small fanbase the 'public' and I fail to see why a hand produced book is a 'scam'. You buy it or you don't. Its your choice.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

SpacemanR wrote:
So you have a low opinion about the British? That is fine, lots of British people have a low opinion about the British.
Although as far as I can tell no one really considers themselves British. People of these islands generally either English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish* (*possibly, its a can of worms). We seem to only have a collective sense of identity when the Olympics come along.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

SpacemanR wrote:Not sure about Kim's book? I think she mentions in it she saw it as a form of therapy and it reads that way. There are some very touching moments and she is obviously devastated about the break up.

There are some interesting chapters on SY but more around band relations and touring and less about song writing.

Many thanks,
You've said more of relevance to me there than the many 1-2000 word feature reviews.

When she first went public i thought: "Fair enough - as a fan, its helpful to know that the chances of a reunion are zero".

But now the book too...
I don't think i need this book.

BTW - did you mean salacious or solicious in your previous post.
I can't imagine anyone who posts here is interested in the former and not sure how the latter fits in - but it could, so i wanted to clarify.
Heavy Tourism
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

plastic37 wrote: BTW - did you mean salacious or solicious in your previous post.
I can't imagine anyone who posts here is interested in the former and not sure how the latter fits in - but it could, so i wanted to clarify.
I didn't even know solicious was a word :lol: I assumed it was a typo. I have now educated myself to its meaning.

Personally, i'm always interested in a bit of salacious gossip when it comes to bands.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

clewsr wrote: I'm not sure if you can call Will's quite small fanbase the 'public' and I fail to see why a hand produced book is a 'scam'. You buy it or you don't. Its your choice.
precisely my point.
I mean who produces books by "hand"
that is the scam !

last time I saw will was for the limited edition artwork
natty had

now we have a limited edition 100 POUND book !
there is more dignity in stocking fruit at sainsburys.

I have CHARITY FATIGUE.

If those that buy it can make punk rock style
copies on a copy machine at work
I would read it

as it is I bought AMAZING GRACE and that is
the last time I support CHARITY for a spiritualized person.

it is called a JOB.

get one carruthers.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

ha. fair enough. I can see your point though I don't agree. The line about AG made me laugh.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Reminds me of the laughing hyenas
Some fans in texas would send them
Cash for their old clothes
Haha.
Which they would covert into heroin.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

try binding a book like Will has bound and is selling, and then tell me how much you would want for one.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Id rather not try.
I would kindlefire mine.
Get it online ...
Will should ebay his clothes
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I found that funny too. Why go to all that hassle of making books, hand-binding them, all that aggro etc when he could have just written it and put it in digital format? Surely the point is to have it available to as many people as possible? Probably would have made just as much money going digital too. Do people really value books these days as to spend £100 on them?

He's probably going to spend the profits on analog tape or something equally admirable but totally illogical giving his circumstances and evident lack of cash.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Perhaps Will felt like giving the world more than a fucking .mobi file, you know, like a piece of true art, from the heart and made by hand.

Muscles - I find it hilarious you're still ranting on about Amazing Grace twelve years on, which in any case is a far superior record than anything you've ever been close to being involved with.
O P 8
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Some will perceive intrinsic value in a hand made book made with time, care and attention much more than a self published printed copy. Others will not. It's your choice.

From a financial perspective, it's fair to expect the book to be fairly low volume. The approach Will has taken seems to be a good way to be able to charge enough to cover his time and efforts and writing the thing in the first place.

If you don't like the proposition don't buy it. It's very easy.

Perhaps the problem is you would like to read it but are not prepared to pay that much. This I can understand more than general sniping about the concept. If you are going to rant about things costing too much, Will's book doesn't seem a very sane place to start.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Muscles wrote:Reminds me of the laughing hyenas
Some fans in texas would send them
Cash for their old clothes
Haha.
Which they would covert into heroin.
Heroin's usually better covert - less chance of the law taking it off you!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Bza. I have a record called love 15
Slightly betta than most of this shite
Spaceman pee call music.
Will should ebay his bass.
If money is the problem.
Gluing paper together.
And calling it a book...
No.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Muscles wrote:Bza. I have a record called love 15
Slightly betta than most of this shite
Spaceman pee call music.
Will should ebay his bass.
If money is the problem.
Gluing paper together.
And calling it a book...
No.
Well I'm convinced!

Time to sell off all my guitars, violins, keyboards, mics, mixing desks and multitracks etc - will use the proceeds to buy a pair of turntables, like wot real musicians play...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Edit: Just exiting this conversation...
Last edited by ro on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Muscles is merely another failed musician with self-indulgent entitlement issues who has debased this forum over the years.

Sorry mate, you used to be humorous, now it just comes across as petty & bitter sniping. Good luck on welfare.
O P 8
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

My paperback version arrived this week and I am so pleased I supported this, A real labour of love and looking forward to the tales.

Wonderfully put together and happy to help this idea see fruition.

Thanks for the tip on Pig's Disco. I've took a punt on the recommendation (this place rarely fails!)
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

...except to say:

Am glad most people are enjoying what sounds to be a beautiful handmade piece of work.
I wish I could order one myself.
Last edited by ro on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

Bza you have brain damage.
I understand you have a soft spot
For will.
Noone wants to see him begging for change.
But that is precisely what he is doing.
Crowdsurfing for change.
I give to the homeless when i can.
Instead of berating me.
You should spend energy and quid.
On the book.
I look forward to your dimwitted review.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

heisenberg wrote:I found that funny too. Why go to all that hassle of making books, hand-binding them, all that aggro etc when he could have just written it and put it in digital format? Surely the point is to have it available to as many people as possible? Probably would have made just as much money going digital too. Do people really value books these days as to spend £100 on them?

He's probably going to spend the profits on analog tape or something equally admirable but totally illogical giving his circumstances and evident lack of cash.
I would like to retract and clarify some points I made in my post.

I wrote "Surely the point is to have it available to as many people as possible?". That is an evidently incorrect statement, as Will has never specified this as being his intention with this project. I believe Will's goal was to produce the books as a labour of love in order to make a little bit of money (the indiegogo total amount he reached is hardly an massive amount of money). Therefore, I take that statement back. In fact, I don't know why I wrote it in the first place. Perhaps automatic cynicism of anyone in showbiz looking to make money from autobiographies these days? Apparently Will's book doesn't even go into too much detail about his band days, so he has doubly proved me wrong on that front. I'm happy to admit my error here.

I'd also like to clarify that I like Will. Never met him, but he always came across as a decent enough guy in the videos/online activity of his that I have seen, as well as any anecdotes of his music career, This is without even mentioning that I find him to be a talented musician and an integral part of some of my favourite songs/albums in my life. I bet that anyone on this board who has ever picked up a bass has had a little stab at trying to sound like Will on LGM, or riffed on a few of his bass lines.

Will seems to be like one of life's good guys and I wish him well with his endeavour.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

heisenberg wrote: Will seems to be like one of life's good guys and I wish him well with his endeavour.
I think that's true. I've met him a few times and he's always really sweet. Plus he did a lot for Natty in his last couple of years which is worth noting. I went to one of those events in Sheffield and it was Will who'd set it all up.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I don't care if this comes across as fan-boyish or not but i would consider him a friend.

Will is an absolute gentlemen. I befriended him many moons ago and travelled down to Rugby to see Slipstream play a couple of times and Will even put me up for the night! We went to Pete Bassman's studio and he let me hear his own album prior to release and we even discussed what songs i thought should be included on the Friendly Fire and Blue On Blue CDs he put out with the early Spiritualized demos. Some of the best days out I've ever had. I've travelled down to Manchester to see him play and ended up being dragged along to the after show party and subsequent party at the flat they were all staying in. Always up for a party and a drink and just great fun to be around too.

His stories and ability to narrate them is a fair old talent in itself. He is a remarkable poet and has a real natural way with words and lyrics (which his solo albums are also testament to). Those solo albums are also some of the best Spacemen 3-related albums out of them all, which says a lot about the guy and his musical talent too.

His work ethic is obvious and his efforts to coordinate and tour the globe with the Natty show was both genuine and a testament to his character.

I'd buy this book in a second if i had that disposable available. I bought and still cherish his first book so know that a lot of love and care has went into the latest one.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

that's more like it. a bit of appreciation for Will. thanks for three interesting posts
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I'll pipe in and say I met him when he was touring with Sonic. A very sweet guy indeed. I simply cant afford the book as much as I would like to buy it. I hope he sells them out.
I sent him a large box full of Detroit Red Wings items for one of his relatives who happens to be a huge fan. Just as a thank you.
I received a heartwarming email from him as he had no idea I was sending it.
Certainly one of the good guys.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Muscles wrote: I understand you have a soft spot
For will.
You understand... Nothing.
O P 8
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Muscles wrote: I understand you have a soft spot
For will.
You understand... Nothing.
He's so unhip, when you say Dylan
He thinks you're talking 'bout Dylan Thomas
Whoever he was
The man ain't got no culture...

[/PaulSimon]
Dave Chappelle
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I tell you what, I thought this book was wonderful. Funny, sad and thought provoking in equal measure. If Will really has given up music, then I really hope he continues writing.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Hello,
I was reminded of this discussion while i was on holiday.
One of the things we did was a mono printing workshop. The lady who ran it also gave me a brief demonstration of book binding. Since then i have followed this up by watching YouTube tutorials and having a go at home.

The activity is time consuming but is not difficult. I'm very pleased with the results i have achieved first time out. I recommend both pursuits as an easy way to achieve something that looks very impressive.
Heavy Tourism