2015 Austin Psych Fest Lineup (Levitation)

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

purespace
Known user

2015 Austin Psych Fest Lineup (Levitation)

Post by purespace »

I think I feel it coming on
toomilk
Known user

Re: 2015 Austin Psych Fest Lineup (Levitation)

Post by toomilk »

Might have to go to this! Jesus and Mary Chain were great when they played Psychocandy. Yes, I did use "Jesus and Mary Chain" and "great" in the same sentence.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

toomilk wrote:Might have to go to this! Jesus and Mary Chain were great when they played Psychocandy. Yes, I did use "Jesus and Mary Chain" and "great" in the same sentence.
I LOVED JAMC live back in the day. Saw them 3 times late 80s early 90s and excited to hear they're tearing it up in fine fashion once again. Went to see JAMC on the Rollercoaster tour, never heard of Spz, and ended up Spz bonkers that night in Detroit. Full circle sharing a bill again 8)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Lightning Bolt plus Spiritualized... delicious.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Christ :shock: They should do a new version of the Rollercoaster tour with JAMC, Spiritualized and Primal Scream!

It's odd, but i never imagined Spiritualized would play any kind of psych fest, not sure why.

I'll repeat the same mantra as previous years: "Oh to win the lotto".
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:Christ :shock: They should do a new version of the Rollercoaster tour with JAMC, Spiritualized and Primal Scream!

It's odd, but i never imagined Spiritualized would play any kind of psych fest, not sure why.

I'll repeat the same mantra as previous years: "Oh to win the lotto".
ditto.. this lineup is fantastic as always.
Yeah, I always got the impression Jason didn't want to get too attached to the psych ghetto. I guess it depends on what sort of setlist they play.
ditto with Primal Scream. they have psych moments I guess.. will have to choose their setlist wisely.

I always hope that this festival's lineup gives some indication on who Liverpool Psych Fest get, but it never quite turns out that way overall.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That is an awesome line-up indeed. Wonder how many of those acts will make it across for the Levitation event in France next year? If it's a decent enough line-up it'll be easier/cheaper getting over to France than Austin, Texas that's for sure
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just bought my tickets. Anyone else going?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

toomilk wrote:Just bought my tickets. Anyone else going?
i'm looking into it. just have to get in touch with a few friends who live in the area... this lineup kind of screams 'once in a lifetime.'
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Yes, really looking forward to it
Line up looks great and that's still without the second wave of bands to come
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

i'm thinking i'm going to make the drive over for this :) i was sad when primal scream canceled their atlanta show for earlier this year.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

We're going again; tix/hotel/air/rental car purchased.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

got my ticket! :D
willonz
New user

Post by willonz »

I went to AUSTIN PSYCH FEST last year and it was bonkers... if you decide to go, camping is the best route. It was mindblowing. There is a stage backed up to a river, with the mighty colorado river as the backdrop. Also it will feel like a desert as by sunday everything will have dust in it including body parts.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Primal Scream on that list just looks odd.

Surely that ship left the harbour some time ago.

Looks incredible tho.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Levitation is spreading to Chicago!

Levitation Chicago at Thalia Hall on Friday, March 13th and Saturday, March 14th, featuring THE POP GROUP, SWERVEDRIVER, OREN AMBARCHI, VIET CONG, LUMERIANS, VISION FORTUNE, MIND OVER MIRRORS, HEATERS, CHRISTINES & MORE TBA!

Full lineup and schedule to be announce in the next few weeks. Stay tuned.
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

willonz wrote:I went to AUSTIN PSYCH FEST last year and it was bonkers... if you decide to go, camping is the best route. It was mindblowing. There is a stage backed up to a river, with the mighty colorado river as the backdrop. Also it will feel like a desert as by sunday everything will have dust in it including body parts.
Did you buy tents in austin or at the site, great to hear it's mindblowing what is the vibe like in the campsite/much going on late at nights there?
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Huxley123 wrote:
willonz wrote:I went to AUSTIN PSYCH FEST last year and it was bonkers... if you decide to go, camping is the best route. It was mindblowing. There is a stage backed up to a river, with the mighty colorado river as the backdrop. Also it will feel like a desert as by sunday everything will have dust in it including body parts.
Did you buy tents in austin or at the site, great to hear it's mindblowing what is the vibe like in the campsite/much going on late at nights there?
I went in 2013.
I don't doubt Willonz had a great time but i would advise against camping.
I got an place via Air B n B that was mid way between town and the festival site. That meant i could enjoy Austin in the morning then head to the site in the afternoon. There wasn't a great deal going on after hours. On one evening i stayed at the site until late but all that was happening was the odd Black Angel strumming a guitar to a dozen or so people in a circle.
Remember that its a small festival - 5000 people, maybe only 1000 campers.
Much as i love camping i'm glad i got to experience the city on what for me was a once in a lifetime kind of trip. I'm sure that if i had been camping the mornings/early afternoons would have been very dull.
Heavy Tourism
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Gotta say, I'm unfamiliar with a heap on acts there but for the main draws alone - Spiritualized, The Scream, JAMC and The Thirteenth Floor Elevators!!! that is probably the best festival line up I've ever seen.

Plus in Texas? Guessing mud will be a rumour.

All they need is some heavy techno people in after hours for the psychedelic beats. Get Weatherall in quick!

I hear Primal Scream have been recording for a bit, so this might be a bunch of new stuff. Psychedelically orientated? Who knows. Ditto for Spiritualized.

Anyway, as Sunray mentions... lottery.

Do you think we could get a crowdsourcing thing going? :wink:
O P 8
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

Flights booked, bring it on!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Hopefully going to this, work permitting. The talk of the Elevators made me take the plunge. Them in their spiritual home which is a very special place for me and the misses and all the other great bands on the bill - done deal. Austin is my kind of town.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm going to the Swervedriver/Lumerians show tomorrow night. Will report back.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Got in at 2:45am last night from the show. Wiped out, man. Phew. Anyway, Lumerians were great. I really dug it. Their stage presence is fantastic. Not sure if anyone here has seen them before, but last night they wore silver sparkle robes with jawa light eyes under their hoods. It was really cool to watch and I thought they played quite well. The live show sounded pretty similar to their records and they debuted some new material.

Swervedriver never disappoint. Mick Quinn (ex-Supergrass) was filling in on bass, as their regular guy ran into some visa issue. Highlights were "Rave Down", "Never Lose That Feeling" and "Duel". The new album is great and that material worked well.
colinbutler
New user

Post by colinbutler »

shalloboi wrote:
i'm looking into it. just have to get in touch with a few friends who live in the area... this lineup kind of screams 'once in a lifetime.'
I'm travelling around northern Mexico and am detouring further north especially for this. I don't know anyone on this continent, let alone anyone going to APF, so would love to meet some Spiritualized nuts while there. Definitely a once in a life time event; the Scream and Spiritualized are among my top 5 live bands, and I've loved the JAMC since I've loved music, and they're pretty good live too.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The schedule has been posted. http://www.austinpsychfest.com/2015-festival/schedule/

Spiritualized, Lightning Bolt, and White Fence all playing within 30 minutes of each other on 3 different stages. FOR SHAME!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Yes, but Thee Oh Sees, Primal Scream and JAMC are all playing consecutively on the same stage 8)
Huxley123
Known user

Post by Huxley123 »

I think it's going to be a case of a bit of moving between stages catching half sets although the clashes weren't as bad as I feared. Looking at it all again, with the times etc, the line up really is insanely good!

Btw does anyone know who Jason has got in the current line up on this tour??
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm assuming it's going to be the same lineup as the LAGWAFIS shows in LA last year. The "Amazing Grace players."

I wonder what they're going to do for the set. I thought more shows were going to be announced around these American festival dates, but there's only one in Atlanta?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Hello forumites,
SOOO, i sadly cannot go to the festival now due to work commitments. I have a couple of tickets going spare if anyone wants them? I'm willing to do a mates rates/discount as its on here as I'd rather someone use them than, enjoy the festival and report back on here and make me insanely jealous than they go to waste. give me a shout if you're interested.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

toomilk wrote:I'm assuming it's going to be the same lineup as the LAGWAFIS shows in LA last year. The "Amazing Grace players."

I wonder what they're going to do for the set. I thought more shows were going to be announced around these American festival dates, but there's only one in Atlanta?
I thought Kid Millions was still involved? Wasn't the LA L&G... lineup assembled just for those two gigs, as per a quote someone posted from the drummer who depped for Kevin Bales when he was really sick? I may not have remembered this correctly...
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

From the footage I've seen of the band since the Ace Theatre LAGWAFIS shows the same UK band is playing with Jason. Kid Millions has done a few improv shows with him but not any Spiritualized shows as far as I'm aware?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The 2013 US tour had Kid Millions on drums. I don't think there has been any Spiritualized involvement with him since then.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

toomilk wrote:The 2013 US tour had Kid Millions on drums. I don't think there has been any Spiritualized involvement with him since then.
Who was in the band at the Holmfirth gig?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

mojo filters wrote:
toomilk wrote:The 2013 US tour had Kid Millions on drums. I don't think there has been any Spiritualized involvement with him since then.
Who was in the band at the Holmfirth gig?
http://spiritualized.band/viewtopic.php ... 60#p115613

I stand corrected. Looking back in the threads that entire band did play the 2013 Holmfirth gig.

But who knows, there's hardly been any activity...I think Friday might be a surprise. Looking forward to it and the couple people I know from the forum who are going. PM me if you guys want to get drinks before/after/during the fest!!!!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

good to read some of those reviews again. ideally I'd like to see that same line up in September but I imagine things will have moved on again since holmeforth. who played in the couple of shows last year?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Sorry, yeah I forgot Holmfirth - the US band did play there but the shows last summer in Hyde park and the festival/dates over in Asia was all the Amazing Grace band. Not sure sure if Kid Millions will be back but judging by his Instagram he's busy doing his own thing right now. He was due to play the improv show at the Ace Hotel last September in London with Jason but it was called off because of Spiritualized recording commitments. It was never revealed if he was part of those or not. gutted I can;t go this weekend - Hope you hear some new material.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

have fun people- expecting a full report from this insane lineup! (especially re: the Spiritualized set of course- very interested to hear where Jason is going next).

If I ever win the lottery I'm taking everyone on the board to this fest ;)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

What angelsighs said.
Am green with envy but also am just psyched (heh) that this dream line-up is actually happening.
I hope everyone enjoys the heck out of it!
Please send reports.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm at a bar and I see Doggen and the Starsailor bassist. Another very shaggy-haired man. I believe it's the drummer from the LAGWAFIS LA shows.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I got a no-kev message from Doggen and Stella earlier. Bummer. :(
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

looks like Kev's out the picture then? when was last time he played with the band?

that Jason interview was interesting. I am sure his message that the new album won't sound like the last three is comfort to many here. Not sure what he means by this last bit though?
"and I had this idea that these beautiful pop songs would come after this furious pyschedelia. I wanted to break that mold."

does that mean the new album will be that kind of mixture.. or it won't?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

toomilk wrote:Interview with Austin Chronicle. http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/20 ... itualized/
Stating he doesn't want to make an album sounding like the last three, seems very specific...

If that's a hint that the new album will be Let It Come Down pt2 - I'm one very happy punter ... the prospect of another album with such strong songwriting and epic tunes is enough to lift the depressing cloud left from last night's electoral bombshell - bring it on :D
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

toomilk wrote:I got a no-kev message from Doggen and Stella earlier. Bummer. :(
Hahaha ... you got a "no-kev message" ... bummer indeed!
Dave Chappelle
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

angelsighs wrote:"and I had this idea that these beautiful pop songs would come after this furious pyschedelia. I wanted to break that mold."

does that mean the new album will be that kind of mixture.. or it won't?
I'm guessing he might be referring to the last album? that was the pop one I thought? From the commments he's made about the live band I think he wanted push it out *There* further and see where it went? I'm hoping for more of the furious psychedlia - that sounds like a beautiful thing.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

i really want to know what the setlist was!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Probably the worst Spz show I've seen. No energy. Awful set list. Guitar/amp problems. Horrible sound. They played every song super slow. The transitions between songs were pathetic.

There's no better way to kill the mood of a festival by playing your worst songs really slow.

Set list:
The Road (here it comes)
Lord let it rain on me
Electricity/shine a light/electric mainline
She kissed me and felt like a hit (15 minute version complete with an amp swap)
Soul on fucking fire
Oh baby
Rated x
Walking with Jesus
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

oh dear. doesn't sound inspiring. agree the set list does not seem very fresh.
Muscles
Known user

Post by Muscles »

toomilk wrote:Probably the worst Spz show I've seen. No energy. Awful set list. Guitar/amp problems. Horrible sound. They played every song super slow. The transitions between songs were pathetic.

There's no better way to kill the mood of a festival by playing your worst songs really slow.

Set list:
The Road (here it comes)
Lord let it rain on me
Electricity/shine a light/electric mainline
She kissed me and felt like a hit (15 minute version complete with an amp swap)
Soul on fucking fire
Oh baby
Rated x
Walking with Jesus
Sounds horrible. Lol...
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sounds like a repeat of Body & Soul. This does not bode well for Liverpool.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup that's a pretty naff setlist
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

toomilk wrote:Interview with Austin Chronicle. http://www.austinchronicle.com/music/20 ... itualized/
Cheers for the link ,
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

The drummer and keyboardist were the ones from the LAGWAFIS shows in LA. Two gospel singers. They were taking pictures during the set.

The only thing I enjoyed was the way they played walking with Jesus. Almost like the PP version. Doggen basically sat there booping and beeping the whole time.

A kid next to me was up close for Tame Impala ( more like Lame Impala, amiright?) and was on his fucking phone the whole time. He was posting on the radio head message board about tame impala. Triple whammy. Anyways, at one point he texted his friend, "Spiritualized are the most boring goddamn band everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" What sucks is at that moment, they were.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Yeah it
Last edited by Multi on Sun May 10, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

wow, that's really too bad and a bit unnerving.
hopefully tonight & tomorrow should bring better vibes.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Its a shame to hear about what sounds to be a dreadful performance. It's important to remember that all bands have shit shows where it doesn't go right, so I'm not too worried about future shows. I've never had the displeasure of seeing the guys have a bad night. The only one I didn't enjoy was Holmfirth which I have since blamed on the fact I was really fucking ill and decided to carry on boozing and having a couple of red bull (as it turns out I'm diabetic, so that is some really funky mix for a bad night eh?).

I hate it almost 100% of the time when bands slow down songs for a live environment, and I really don't care for she kissed me or electricity after having seen them enough. Oh baby I am a big fan of live, don't want to see that dropped.

Lets see how the elevators cope on the same stage, now that is something I worry about! Either way, i'm at home in Manchester and need to leave for a wedding.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Trying to look for the positives here, a 15 min version of She Hit Me And It Felt Like A Kiss sounds interesting,
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

niamhm wrote:Trying to look for the positives here, a 15 min version of She Hit Me And It Felt Like A Kiss sounds interesting,
It was 15 minutes long due to the noodling they rest of the band had to do while they tried to get Jason's guitar working again. The set list was fucking dreadful for a festival - - a real chance to bring the psychedelic and instead they sucked the air right out of the room. We left 1/2 way through She Hit Me. Jason did not appear wasted at all and his vocals were fine. I've just lost interest in the musical direction J has taken over the past several years.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

another 5 years of Tory rule, and Spiritualized play a shitty gig.. not a good week.
really need a positive now..
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

A buddy of mine was there and he described the show as "fantastic" despite the fact that it took them about 3 songs to get the mix right (I feel like this is par for the course with the Spiritualized gigs I've seen over the past 10 years, with the exception of 2008 Pitchfork). Anyway, he said "Electric Mainline" and "Rated X" were the highlights.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

As already noted that's an awful setlist. Just to add, who'd have thought Soul On Fire would reappear in the live set? Last time out it was a dull plodding affair - when the band were otherwise on fire live, in every gig I saw around 2008/9.

I've wondered why he's never played anything from A+E live since the tours following that album. You Lie You Cheat rocked every time I saw them play it, and should have become a live staple. I heard Doggen pull out some of his finest psych-blues riffs when he gave that song the proverbial beans.

Soul On Fire by contrast was pedestrian on record and dreary live (I'll concede that the Acoustic Mainlines treatment flattered it nicely though). As a song it's nothing more than a second rate rehash of the brilliantly epic Stop Your Crying, using the exact same tempo and chord progression. Unfortunately the recorded version suffered from the much smaller A+E orchestral ensemble, compared with the huge symphonic bombastic jumbo-sized philharmonic orchestra, that was captured so gloriously on Let It Come Down!
Dave Chappelle
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Maybe there are usa and British versions of the band, with J hooking up with whoever is available. I guess they are a little out of practice too, hopefully the energy levels will soon be back to normal. Hopefully the new record will be out by the time they play Leeds and Liverpool so they will mix up the set list a bit. Maybe they'll play the new record from beginning to end like in Edinburgh and the Albert hall..
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Taken from another thread here's what I had to say about their appearance at Body and Soul festival in 2012:

"You're band is playing a 1 hour set on the main stage of a festival from 11.30 on a Saturday night, do you:

A) Play some rock 'n' roll, make some noise and try to send people to another dimension? Or
B) Fill the bulk of your set with the some of the slowest, dullest songs you have written?

If you are Jason Pierce you naturally choose B. :(

Off the top of my head, and not in correct order, they played:

Hey Jane, Lord Let It Rain, WWJ, Rated X, Oh Baby, Too Late, Soul On Fire, So Long, L&G, She Kissed Me.
I'm sure there was a couple more but they too were slower ones. Thought we would at least have got I Am What I Am and Heading For The Top.

Anyone seeing Spiritualized for the first time would really have been left wondering what the fuss is about."

I agree with James T's comment about bands play shitty gigs sometimes but it's the setlist that is the real concern. Doesn't matter what form the band is in if you just fill up the set with your dullest tunes.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Primal Scream were pretty good yesterday. One-guitar lineup was pretty odd. Definitely felt the missing guitar at a few points.

JAMC were great. Good sound and the Reid brothers FINALLY got their shit together. The bassist for Primal Scream sang with them on Just Like Honey.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Great reviews. Delighted that there are some objective ears on the ranch.
Looking forward to the big one!
Heavy Tourism