What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

spzretent
Site Admin

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by spzretent »

Sebadoh. Loving Touch. Ferndale, Michigan. Every song sounded the fucking same. Until I left halfway thru.
Waste of a buzz.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Saw Prolapse last night and they were bloody brilliant! Not familiar with maybe half the set but didn't matter, sounded great, played great, and were a lot of fun on stage and in good spirits. 2 practises in 16 years and that's how it came out, too good! Hope they come back round but doubt it, catch them if you can.

Mudhoney tonight....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Ah yeah! Mudhoney! Always a pleasure, never a chore.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Acid Baby Jesus,Strange Cages and Science of Eight Limbs at the Hope and Ruin Brighton. SOEL started proceedings, I just think i've seen too many guitar - drum combos lately, but SOEL sounded ok.
Strange Cages i saw recently and really like these guys. Local psych,garage and punk band .
Acid Baby Jesus, Great set, first time i've seen this band from Greece, psych,garage with fuzz guitars and screeching organs a great night.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Brother JT (again) for a benefit show

http://amplitude-photography.blogspot.c ... -post.html

and a Suffacox semi-reunion (Wayne has left us in physical form) / tribute set

http://amplitude-photography.blogspot.c ... 22015.html
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Follakzoid @ Soup Kitchen, Manchester

After the reliably reliable Dead Sea Apes had successfully warmed up a very good Manchester crowd, it was down to Follakzoid to take matters into their own hands. What is all the more remarkable is the sound South America's finest produced in what can be challenging venue despite having only made it to the venue at 9pm. A ferry issue from Paris and the M6 combined in making their journey north an absolute nightmare apparently.
Anyway, they were brilliant. On stage for a shade over 50 minutes and it was the usual trance-like Kraut Psych we have come to expect. The opening track from the new album was blistering, with another new one straight after. Then 99, Rivers and Trees off the second record and all was well with the world in my slightly inebriated eyes(and ears). The sound they create is so close to the record its staggering, like I say especially in a dingy basement venue if with so so acoustics.
Sampled the food at Soup Kitchen pre gig as well, the Goat Curry was fantastic. Top night
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nice one, you got me proper psyched for Follakzoid now. seeing them in Brum on Sunday! they were one of the highlights of ATP in 2013 as far as I'm concerned.

saw Chameleons Vox in Oxford on Monday night. my third time seeing them, obviously the real Chameleons would be preferred but they always put on a fine show. it was tight and energetic and the sound was surprisingly loud and clear. those wonderful guitar effects give it that slightly trippy and atmospheric feel but the rhythm section is tight and punky. I could really feel Mark's bass pumping in my chest.
the show was billed as their second album in full, but instead they played a mixture of songs from all their albums (apart from the reunion album which is a shame as I think there's some great stuff on there)- I can't see any fan going away disappointed. off the top of my head..Soul in Isolation, Perfume Garden, Don't Fall were highlights but the big one for me was Monkeyland which really kicked off a moshpit when it kicked in!
having said all that.. not sure I would go out of my way to see these guys again. 3 times is enough now I think unless they start to offer something new.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I'd like to see/hear Follakzoid live.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Allah Las
Gorilla, Manchester

Hmm, showing my age here. The venue was sold out (meaning over sold and very tight for space, uncomfortably so). The crowd made up of pissed annoying students, who could barely stand up straight, just one of those nights, you get the picture.
Sound was shocking, straight from the off it didn't sound good and the front of house sound guy did nothing about it, band gave up trying to communicate with him in the end.
To be fair they put on a show and they seemed to play well enough (seen them 4 times now and really like them to be fair) but again I'm desperate for the lead guitar to be higher in the mix.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Giant Sand
St Georges Hall, Liverpool

Lovely venue, holds circa 450, barely 100 in attendance. I have said this countless times, put this gig on in Manchester and it would have been full.

Anyway top gig, all the new album played pretty much by a 3 guitar attack lineup plus pedal steel bass and drums (and some female vox) great stuff, sound was unreal and I never tire of Seeing Howe Gelb do his desert blues rock Americana thing (with the odd Jazz piano sidetrack). He also gave some of his touring band time to do their thing, firstly as guest supports and them mid gig, with 4 songs played, fronted by 4 different members of the band (their own compositions).
To be fair the crowd that were in attendance lapped it up and Howe played like his life depended on it.
I had a great night it has to be said
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Giant Sand

Lovely venue, holds circa 450, barely 100 in attendance. I have said this countless times, put this gig on in Manchester and it would have been full.

Anyway top gig, all the new album played pretty much by a 3 guitar attack lineup plus pedal steel bass and drums (and some female vox) great stuff, sound was unreal and I never tire of Seeing Howe Gelb do his desert blues rock Americana thing (with the odd Jazz piano sidetrack). He also gave some of his touring band time to do their thing, firstly as guest supports and them mid gig, with 4 songs played, fronted by 4 different members of the band (their own compositions).
To be fair the crowd that were in attendance lapped it up and Howe played like his life depended on it.
Sounds ike a great night!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sounds really good. sorry didn't even hear about it. I think I would have enjoyed.

Manchester is a significantly bigger city than Liverpool tho!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

simonkeeping wrote:
Aquarian-Time wrote:Giant Sand

Sounds ike a great night!
i'm really glad to hear that, as i'm seeing them later in the year. only 'discovered' them recently but after hearing glum and chore of enchantment i became somewhat obsessed and just listened to everything i could get my hands on. it's amazing and addictive stuff! oh, and of course that journey included hearing Rainer Ptacek for the first time, which was another game-changer. i was thinking of starting a thread on them, but then you posted this, so figured i'd just post a reply instead. maybe a thread is due too..
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Allah Las
Gorilla, Manchester

Hmm, showing my age here. The venue was sold out (meaning over sold and very tight for space, uncomfortably so). The crowd made up of pissed annoying students, who could barely stand up straight, just one of those nights, you get the picture.
Sound was shocking, straight from the off it didn't sound good and the front of house sound guy did nothing about it, band gave up trying to communicate with him in the end.
To be fair they put on a show and they seemed to play well enough (seen them 4 times now and really like them to be fair) but again I'm desperate for the lead guitar to be higher in the mix.
Fuck \I wish I had been at this, bodyswerved Glasgow/Scotland , last album was brilliant,
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

remarkably I was able to sneak out for another gig

Kikaguko Moyo @Soup Kitchen, Manchester

Really like this venue now, kind of crept up on me as I wasn't so keen initially. Typical basement venue, dingy and low lit and perfect for nights like this. Near capacity crowd totally enthralled with Tokyo's finest, their 7 song set spanned an hr(curfew strictly adhered to) contained only two of their back catalogue, the rest being new tunes which were all near perfection.
Kicking off sat down playing a whimsical psych mantra style jam, before lifting of with a couple of monsters. A nice delicate slow jam (chilled out tune to use their description, "have smoke some weed" they advised" !, sound advise!)
Then two epic psych rockers to close. Sound was epic, and very impressive throughout, cracking crowd in of way over 120 I would say and everyones happy
Top stuff
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aquarian-Time wrote:remarkably I was able to sneak out for another gig

Kikaguko Moyo @Soup Kitchen, Manchester

Really like this venue now, kind of crept up on me as I wasn't so keen initially. Typical basement venue, dingy and low lit and perfect for nights like this. Near capacity crowd totally enthralled with Tokyo's finest, their 7 song set spanned an hr(curfew strictly adhered to) contained only two of their back catalogue, the rest being new tunes which were all near perfection.
Kicking off sat down playing a whimsical psych mantra style jam, before lifting of with a couple of monsters. A nice delicate slow jam (chilled out tune to use their description, "have smoke some weed" they advised" !, sound advise!)
Then two epic psych rockers to close. Sound was epic, and very impressive throughout, cracking crowd in of way over 120 I would say and everyones happy
Top stuff
They were probably the highlight gig for me last year in Manchester and i'd have came back down this time if it wasn't for my trip to see Eternal Tapestry this Wednesday... can't wait to hear the new material.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Follakzoid were predictably excellent on Sunday night in Birmingham.

The venue was the Sunflower Lounge. I think they call it that because it's about as big as some people's lounge! probably the smallest venue I have ever been in (pipping the Freebutt in Brighton). must have been 100 people tops, proper crammed in but at least it was easy to get a pint and get right to the front.

the crowd was the usual psych mix of young hipsters and the old school who were there the first time (I saw not one but two Gong T shirts..)

The setlist was the same as Aquarian Time mentioned above I think. the tracks I recognised from II were put across stunningly, and tunes from the new album are in the same vein but with a slight different feel.. they seem to be evolving very subtly but surely.
the sound was fantastic for such a small room, punchy but with lots of depth. you can't really go wrong with a krautrock beat live. when I looked around the whole crowd were bopping along, and the bits where they surged and went up a gear were often breathtaking. some excellent delay pedal work from the guitarist as well, I'm always a sucker for getting some guitar loops going.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Eternal Tapestry @ Kraak, Manchester

Super evening albeit a whistle stop one due to having many domestic duties to deal with. So missed TVAM and then had to endure Paddy from Gnod making noises at a keyboard/computer/synth type set up.
Eternal tapestry were very good, although couldn't pigeonhole their style at all. very different from recorded versions ( and I have a fair bit). I assume the guitar jamming style had to be reigned in somewhat as second master axeman Dewey left a few years ago, so those twin guitar solo's that were so often traded were now more streamlined. I assume its the front mans brother on keys, he was great and really gave the set a lovely tone throughout. Recognised the first track (think off the new album) and the cover of Ultimate Spinach's The Hip Death Goddess. The set then had pretty much every style imaginable thrown at it and each song paved a new path for band and listener. 50 minute set, 7 songs and a decent crowd went home happy. Good to catch up with some of this forums illustrious members, shame I couldn't make more of a night of it, but I have been out rather a lot recently....
So much so I gave the Six Organs gig in Manchester a miss last night to store up some more brownie points!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Eternal Tapestry @ Kraak, Manchester

Super evening albeit a whistle stop one due to having many domestic duties to deal with. So missed TVAM and then had to endure Paddy from Gnod making noises at a keyboard/computer/synth type set up.
Eternal tapestry were very good, although couldn't pigeonhole their style at all. very different from recorded versions ( and I have a fair bit). I assume the guitar jamming style had to be reigned in somewhat as second master axeman Dewey left a few years ago, so those twin guitar solo's that were so often traded were now more streamlined. I assume its the front mans brother on keys, he was great and really gave the set a lovely tone throughout. Recognized the first track (think off the new album) and the cover of Ultimate Spinach's The Hip Death Goddess. The set then had pretty much every style imaginable thrown at it and each song paved a new path for band and listener. 50 minute set, 7 songs and a decent crowd went home happy. Good to catch up with some of this forums illustrious members, shame I couldn't make more of a night of it, but I have been out rather a lot recently....
So much so I gave the Six Organs gig in Manchester a miss last night to store up some more brownie points!
I agree. Was a great show. I was in early and caught TV AM who was good. Nice motorik beat with the guy playing guitar over the top all while a sequence of old 70/80s TV footage played on a VHS/TV in the background. Visually it was something a little different too. Paddy from Gnod grated my nerves and i felt he got more than his fair share of time too that i thought ate into E.T.'s set a little. I'm still unsure of Gnod in general at times; sometimes they are good, sometimes its just not. Paddy didn't do it for me tonight. Eternal Tapestry were really good... was really impressed with them. First time seeing them and as much as i enjoyed the albums, i felt they came across different live, but good different. Maybe it was due to the missing guitarist as Aquarian-Time said, but they sounded really good; much more concise and the addition of the keyboards really gave it a depth of sound too. Glad i came down for them. Great to meet up with so many familiar faces too. Cracking day out altogether.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

went to Supersonic Festival in Birmingham over the weekend. although I found the initial lineup very enticing, the subsequent additions left me totally non plussed. there were basically no other artists I had heard of, I know that's kind of the point of it, be curious for trying out new stuff, but found it a bit lacking, especially when compared to previous years lineups (still got vivid memories of Carlton Melton where you basically had to peel me from the ceiling afterwards.. damnn)

when I got there I could see partly why- they have scaled the festival right back, only 2 stages. I think they have had to revamp it to keep going in the current tough climate. I guess basically they are counting on a core audience who trust the kind of music they put on.

I just went with the flow and an open mind. the only thing was there was far too much electronic stuff for my liking. it's just not my kind of thing, and seeing yet another act which is basically someone behind a synth or decks got kinda boring. more psych or free jazz next time please.

there was some new acts I discovered- Woven Skull were excellent, kind of a celtic drone thing, had guitar and drums as well as mandolin and violin. reminded me of all kinds of things, folky but also shades of Godspeed when they built up a head of steam.
there was also a kind of noisy freejazz band called Selvhunter- lineup was violin, trombone, sax and drums. there was some low key droning but also really intense bits where the wind instruments were put through distortion and were feeding back and vibrating the room like crazy. great stuff.

the bands I enjoyed most were the ones I expected though- The Pop Group put on a show to shame bands half their age, got all the key tracks from the first time around, as well as choice ones from the new album (which sounded much better then the album and fitted in surprisingly well). there's some freaky noisy shit from over the top but the rhythm section is pure rock solid funk/reggae. Mark Stewart is a beast.
Aquarian-Time wrote:
Eternal tapestry were very good.. The set then had pretty much every style imaginable thrown at it and each song paved a new path for band and listener.
I was gonna say exactly this about Eternal Tapestry! what impressed me most was the variety. they gave all kind of different shades of psych, from acid rock noodling to droney stuff, and the keyboard player was adding lots of great textures. I was very impressed with the drummer too- he wasn't doing just your motorik stuff, the opening song had these great jazzy fills which really added to it. the only thing was that weirdly, it was a strange instance where the sound actually started good and got worse as the set went along. never experienced that before!

Six Organs of Admittance followed them and blew the roof off. it was a heavy power trio setup in line with the new Hexadic record, but he didn't just play songs off that, there was some off Ascent and some older stuff too (Shelter From The Ash worked well, Home less so). Ben's guitar tone was insane, really fuzzy and with sustain for days. the rhythm section were great too, tight but loose.
Ben was really shredding at points as well as getting some crunching and grinding noises out of the fuzz pedal. when he was legs astride and the smoke machine kicked in, it was like a scene out of The Song Remains The Same :)

glad I went for the highlights, but next year hoping for less electronic/'multimedia' gubbins!!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Last Saturday, Mogwai @ Loop,

20 yr celebration home town gigs for Mogwai, another one the following night, on a Saturday night?? Yes it was good, how could it not be? A couple of hour in the Saracens Head across the road meant I missed the opening 2 supports, but it was beautiful summers evening, had to be enjoyed. Mogwai played a career spanning set - I must admit I`m a late comer to Mogwai so not totally familiar with all their back catalogue, probably 1st saw them in 2010, 4 times since - so some of it was unfamiliar but strangely familiar, as lets be honest, Mogwai have a vibe, a guest appearance from Aidan Moffat on R U Still In 2 It?, a flautist fighting a losing battle for space on Mogwai Fear Satan, and Batcat , what a crushing bunch of guitar noise and riffs. I`m Jim Morrison And I`m Dead in a quiet ,restrained and totally majestic manner, sound guys did an amazing job all night extreme volumes and clarity not always being an easy trick to pull off and a proper eye ball testing light show to boot , by the time the final My Father My King came round people were going nuts all round the place,

I think Loop more than took advantage of the venue, sound system and sound guys, 3rd time I`ve seen them post-reformation, never seen them better, Robert Hampson won a watch when he got in tow with The Heads rhythm section, so tight loud & clear, it was a total treat, 2 new track fitted in seamlessly,

All round , a free night , great beer, a lift to an from my front door and amazing music plus great company, going to take some beating for my gig of the year.

Just add in, there was some cool merch picked up Loops new Array1 12" and a nice Mogwai anniversary screen print.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

A friend bought us tickets for a Terry Riley at 80 tribute in Brighton last night. Must say, I really didn't know of Terry Riley or his work but I'm sure he's been mentioned here several times in the past. I can now see where a lot of today's drone/repetition bands get their inspiration from. It was a really enjoyable night, made better due to the fact it was a complete surprise and I didn't know what to expect.

There's a bit of info about it here:-

http://www.theargus.co.uk/leisure/music ... _birthday/
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Watched Loop with James T (and Paul from Grey n Pink Records in Chester) at Kazimier.

Good gig, solid enough performance, new songs sounded good enough, small crowd, maybe 100 but the band went down well.

Really enjoyed TVAM as the first support act. Hard to pin it all down, but it best described as a guy with a guitar and a tv which he plays along to !! Kind of surf psych guitar sounds, but the second to last song in which he actually added some lovely broken vocals over a dreamy deerhunter style guitar and backing track, that was the show stopper.

Main support were appalling, so much so I cant recall their name.

excellent evening with James as ever and much fat was chewed and beers consumed.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

BRMC at Albert Hall, Manchester

My mate Gaz and I headed off to sunny Manchester to see if out mutual love of BRMC was intact. We have seen them together every tour since their first album, sometimes more than once, and in my case a few additional times as well. Anyhow a quick glance at my records and this was my 12 time seeing them.
The band never short change the punter, often 20 plus song sets, plenty energy and noise and often the crowd going wild (as last nights sell out crowd will testify) Their early records are outstanding, the rest are solid, the last one is poor. Each album get represented equally.
The venue has struggled often with sound, last night was no different, really poor for at least an hour and quite quiet. They opened with a really slow sludgy version of Beat The devils Tattoo and the run of Let The Day Begin, Weapon Of Choice, Rival, In Like The Rose, Aint No Easy Way and Berlin never really caught the attention. I had consoled myself with the fact I was a bit tipsy and they were playing well, just the sound was a shocker. Things started to pick up, the volume increased and by the time they played Awake (my personal favourite), the sound was perfectly balanced and we were good to go. Rest of the set just powered on and the crowd were screaming for more by the time a beautifully load and shambolic Punk Song had concluded after 1 hr and 45 mins of action.
Great to see Leah back behind the kit after her recent issues, she got a huge chant from the crowd at the mid way point and was clearly touched. A top night despite the venues best efforts
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:BRMC at Albert Hall, Manchester

My mate Gaz and I headed off to sunny Manchester to see if out mutual love of BRMC was intact. We have seen them together every tour since their first album, sometimes more than once, and in my case a few additional times as well. Anyhow a quick glance at my records and this was my 12 time seeing them.
The band never short change the punter, often 20 plus song sets, plenty energy and noise and often the crowd going wild (as last nights sell out crowd will testify) Their early records are outstanding, the rest are solid, the last one is poor. Each album get represented equally.
The venue has struggled often with sound, last night was no different, really poor for at least an hour and quite quiet. They opened with a really slow sludgy version of Beat The devils Tattoo and the run of Let The Day Begin, Weapon Of Choice, Rival, In Like The Rose, Aint No Easy Way and Berlin never really caught the attention. I had consoled myself with the fact I was a bit tipsy and they were playing well, just the sound was a shocker. Things started to pick up, the volume increased and by the time they played Awake (my personal favourite), the sound was perfectly balanced and we were good to go. Rest of the set just powered on and the crowd were screaming for more by the time a beautifully load and shambolic Punk Song had concluded after 1 hr and 45 mins of action.
Great to see Leah back behind the kit after her recent issues, she got a huge chant from the crowd at the mid way point and was clearly touched. A top night despite the venues best efforts
kinda wish i'd made it to this, Awake is a personal favourite of mine too! one of their tripper songs, I don't believe they've ever played it when I've seen them.
I actually quite like the last album, I'd put it in the 'solid' category.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Jesus&Mary Chain/Bardo Pond @ The Roundhouse, London

This was brilliant, JAMC were even better than the Manchester gig last year, sound was perfect, loud and plenty of feedback but it not stupidly loud. Couple of extra tunes in the initial set (Nine Million Rainy Days and Blues From A Gun) and Psychocandy played from top to bottom was a real treat. The venue i outstanding and smaller than I expected, will definately be going there again.
Bardo Pond opened the night and were in blistering form, opening with the first 3 tracks off Peace and Venus and then i have no idea what they played as I was very much "in the zone", it was 45 m ins of heavy psych rock heaven. They really hit the spot live every time. Caught a word with Isobel at the end(fanboy crush still intact) pleading with her to get the band over here more often, Manchester specifically, she says they will.....we shall see
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Totally agree with the last post. I saw the JAMC in Brighton back in february and there was something missing at that
gig. The Roundhouse gig was louder and had more noise and feedback to give it a bit more of an edge. I bought a ticket on the strength that Bardo Pond were supporting, i wasn't disappointed . Great set from the noise machine that is Bardo Pond.
really good evening.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BROKENHEART wrote: I bought a ticket on the strength that Bardo Pond were supporting, i wasn't disappointed . Great set from the noise machine that is Bardo Pond.
really good evening.
Gutted they didn't come north. I love those guys.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard at the Scala last week was the most joyous, uplifting, insane, knackering, sweaty gigs I've been to in a good while. It was tube strike day in London, and really hot, so I wondered if the crowd would be less at the Scala but no, it was rammed and full of love for the Gizz. Seriously, seeing the love dished out to the band that night was worthy of the price alone. The opening salvo was a 15 min chunk of the I'm In Your Mind Fuzz album, non stop from the get go, bodies everywhere, people grinning and whooping their heads off, me and the good lady joining in the fun (my suede desert boots are knackered from it). The energy levels were insane, volume high up, two drummers, three guitars, harmonica, bass, flute at times, people singing the riffs, crowd surfers (including the singer), an hour and half of pure unadultered psych/garage/rock n roll/ ramalama, and extremely well. These guys have the chops. Bloody marvellous. I'm still buzzing from it now to be honest. I gave up drinking (and social smoking) nearly 100 days ago now so my fuel was nothing but water and a pre-gig coffee and it was lovely having such a high from it all and seeing my lady grinning her head off throughout as well. If you get the chance to see them live then do so. If you're a fan then the set was a big chunk of I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, The River from the new album Quarters, Hot Wax and another couple of older ones, plus two newies. They stretched out Am I In Heaven/Pills to epic levels, full of wild moments then leaving us hanging, teasing us with plucked guitars and a motorik hum before crashing back in again. The singer came out and sung Vegemite on his own after the lights had come up due to the constant noise for MORE. Gig of the year so far for me.

Saturday was a local festival to me in Essex during the day/early evening then the pub later to see my friends band The Freaks plus Ye Nuns, who are an all girl band who play nothing bit Monks covers, absolutely brilliant, and then The Masonics who're part of that Medway garage scene. Another excellent night out.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Holydrug Couple- Soup Kitchen Manchester

Cant really put into words how dire this was. Dull band, hired bass player who clearly doesnt play bass (if you listen to their records, the bass is a essential element). lead singers voice is beyond woeful and the songs were just unbelievably boring, so so poor.
Fortunately James T was in attendance, so we are able to put the world to rights once more !
Have since sold both my Holydrug Couple albums(it was that poor)
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Just saw Primus last night.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

good dope/good fun wrote:Just saw Primus last night.
Dinosaur Jr supporting? How was the show?
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Yeah.
1st show of the tour with Dinosaur Jr.
Show was fucking sick.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Neil Young.
That man can split open my heart sitting alone with an acoustic guitar singing "Helpless", and he can smash it back together again and send us to the moon on magic electric rocketships.
Sad to hear his higher vocals begin to falter, but hey.
A few folks were booing the Monsanto songs, which I find wildly inappropriate. He's in a position to spread the word, and he does it with devotion. Who are those booing folks going to call when their kid is born with six legs?
Anyway. We had to leave early but highlights were After the Goldrush ("in the 1970's"---> "in the 21st century"), Out on the Weekend, Words (which doesn't usually do it for me, but wow) and his general earnestness which some find histrionic maybe but I love some good earnestness.
Beautiful shiny pipe organ number, too, I forget what.
Beautiful outside venue with yellow setting moon.
And that guitar, Cowgirl....
Ah, magic.
He's got so much energy, and he throws it out to the crowd in waves.
I'm glad.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Holydrug Couple- Soup Kitchen Manchester

Cant really put into words how dire this was. Dull band, hired bass player who clearly doesnt play bass (if you listen to their records, the bass is a essential element). lead singers voice is beyond woeful and the songs were just unbelievably boring, so so poor.
Fortunately James T was in attendance, so we are able to put the world to rights once more !
damnn.. :( haven't heard the new one but I really like Noctuary.
must have been gutting that they were so bad live, but I don't see how this would cause you to sell the albums?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

johnnyboy wrote:King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
Best. Band. Name. Ever.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:
Aquarian-Time wrote:Holydrug Couple- Soup Kitchen Manchester

damnn.. :( haven't heard the new one but I really like Noctuary.
must have been gutting that they were so bad live, but I don't see how this would cause you to sell the albums?
The new album is really poor, dull and boring sum it up perfectly. I still haven't managed to reach the end of it.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Went to see Goldie and the Heritage Orchestra play Timeless @ The Royal Festival Hall.

I mean... WOW! What a great show! 2 Drummers and one percussionist. An orchestra that was properly mixed in and the tunes just had so many layers upon layers. If you have the chance to see it please do. I've never seen the RFH turn into a dancehall. I still have my grin.

Best,

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

MODLAB wrote:Went to see Goldie and the Heritage Orchestra play Timeless @ The Royal Festival Hall.

I mean... WOW! What a great show! 2 Drummers and one percussionist. An orchestra that was properly mixed in and the tunes just had so many layers upon layers. If you have the chance to see it please do. I've never seen the RFH turn into a dancehall. I still have my grin.

Best,

M
That sounds like a fantastic night, played that album to death at the time till it got pretty much ruined at a pretty messy party, unplayable afterwards, Inner City Life, what a track.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I saw Luna and Hookworms at Leeds Brudenell last night. Only my 4th gig of 2015 which makes it officially the worst year for live music ever!

The Brudenell had a new sound system installed a week ago and it really lived up to expectations. Hookworms gave the place a blasting and although they were very loud and pretty heavy the sound was never too intense. I quite enjoyed their set although - apart from singer MJ's new haircut - they haven't moved on much from the show I saw for the release of the last album. A lot of familiar stuff and much guitar noise but it never quite reached boiling point for me.

Luna were absolutely tremendous. From the moment they came on and the glorious reverb of Chinatown wobbled into play I knew it was going to be special. I was surprised at how much of the set I knew as very little was unfamiliar. Great songs like Friendly Advice, Travelling Light, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Sideshow By The Seashore and - best of all - 23 Minutes In Brussels which stole the show. Dean Wareham is one hell of a guitarist and he was on top form. Despite looking like your school science teacher the man just oozes class and the sounds he coaxed out of his guitar were just sublime. When he really gets into a solo at times he seems to go rigid in concentration. Turns out it was his birthday and Britta got the crowd into a raucous Happy Birthday at one point. Also worth noting what a brilliant player rhythm guitarist Sean Eden is - straight out of the Sterling Morrison What Goes On handbook at times but he played amazing solos and fills too. The whole band was great though - Britta Phillips bass was excellent even though it's almost bigger than she is, and Lee Wall's steady drumming held things together nicely. And whatever new PA and system the venue has installed just shone for Luna last night - hats off Nathan!

We got a fabulous Tugboat as en encore and even though the lights went up and the DJ's music started people kept shouting and the night was crowned by closer Tiger Lilly which had one section of the audience drunkenly roaring along with the chorus.

It was a fantastic show and went way beyond what I expected. And even though the place was far from full there was a great atmosphere too. Big smiles.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Luna - Gorilla, Manchester

As above, really fantastic. There's something wonderful about the petite Britta playing what appears to be an oversized bass - like something she's picked it up from an Alice in Wonderand prop cubpboard. Incredibly polished throughout and highlight = Indian Summer for me.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Luna

Leeds/Glasgow and Manchester

Just the best 3 days ever, what a blast. The band are lovely and I almost wrote the entire set list for them pre gig in Glasgow !! Every request I asked for I got ! The set list very different on all 3 shows. I think Manchester was the best show, but they were all very good. I got very very drunk after the Glasgow show....and missed my train home.
Now then flights to US in October ......
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Luna — London

Great gig except for the Garage. The sound system is awful but hearing the band again after all those years made up for it all.

What an amazing band.

M
Design.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Excellent Luna reviews. We snagged VIP seats for the Detroit gig as we are old, decrepit and can't do standing gigs much anymore :lol: Really looking forward to this one.
I think I feel it coming on
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Wand in Whelans, Dublin.

First off, the gig obviously sold poorly as i won two passes on the day of the gig and so did my mate. When we went to sign our name off the guestlist it was two pages worth of names, so I guess a lot of people 'won' tickets. It also got moved from Whelans main room to the much smaller upstairs venue. I already had a ticket but hoped i might be able to get rid of it. No chance but didn't really mind, just would've been a nice bonus to make some cash back.

As for the gig itself... Band played about 80 minutes including three covers: The Doors 'The End' :shock: , which was their third song of the night! Plus two Velvets tunes, 'What Goes On' and, as an encore, a bonkers 'Sister Ray'. At one point it sounded as if they were going to do Sonic Youth's 'Cross the Breeze' but they left it at the intro. Their own material stood up too, played a new song off the upcoming album, pretty good. Main reference points I guess would be Comets On Fire for the guitar sound, 13th Floor Elevators, early Tame Impala and maybe Fuzz. Good onstage persona also, the singer/lead guitarist has a certain boyish charm that could win over the girls....

.....All the way through i had the feeling that I was watching a band who could make the leap to bigger things. Not neccessarily mainstream appeal but certainly gaining a decent following and filling mid-size venues. They kick up a righteous noise at times and they certainly love their dirty, heavy riffs yet there is something else going on as well...Some kind of pop sensibility....dunno, hard to explain. Every time I listen to them i think this is the band that Tame Impala should've been (Admittedly, i'm not a TI fan so I could be way off the mark here).

I left with a smile on my face and probably the best gig i've been to so far this year. I would recommend catching them in a tiny venue now while you have the chance.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Hoping to catch Wand in Glasgow in a few weeks. I would tend to agree with your comment about Tame Impala. I do think this lot have a genuine knack for heavy psych fuzz moulded into a more poptastic pill... long may it continue!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

My Morning Jacket, The Ritz, Manchester

The new album is definately a grower, but 3 listens in and I really like it, however this band are best served live of that there is absolutely no doubt. There is more to this band than typical all bluster Southern Rock, they shift through many styles, but all through a 2hr set the pace is relentless even on the slower numbers, which chime with intensity and depth. New stuff sounded great, great mix of old tunes, the closing One Big Holiday was a mass jump around as always. Stood by the mixer and the sound was A1. venue not sold out but probably quite close. Top night
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The entire Leeds Brudenell Luna show is up for downloads here:

http://www.nyctaper.com/2015/09/luna-au ... streaming/

It sounds pretty good - a nice recording although I can hear myself at various points yelling enthusiastically which feels a bit odd! You even get the raucous rendition of Happy Birthday.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Saw The Cosmic Dead at the Brudenell last might.

It was an odd evening to be honest. Around the time the band were due on a guy was setting up audio equipment on stage. Then he started his set and - having no idea what The Cosmic Dead looked like or who they were - I thought this one guy WAS The Cosmic Dead and this was the main event! I sat with Mrs. Runcible and endured a set of truly unpleasant proportions until this chap - by now a mess of sweat, hair and bizarre facial expressions - leapt into the audience, screamed at a few people and then climbed all over the seats we were in which was a tad intimidating. That was enough and as we got up to go, deciding The Cosmic Dead were not for us, the music suddenly stopped. But it was 5 past 10. Eh? Then I saw some blokes starting to assemble more stuff on stage and realised our howling error - this was just a very late support band. Oh dear. We retired to the bar to lick our wounds and recover. Mrs. Runcible wanted to go home such was the effect of the band/individual we now know to be Girl Sweat. I won't ever forget it. It's rare a support act is so unpleasant that you want to leave before the main band even appear.

The Cosmic Dead were pretty damn good thank God. A series of pounding riffs, throbbing psych drone and exceptionally beefy rhythms sounded great. The band moved effortlessly from one track to another, occasionally upping the tempo into thrashy punk style tracks which were probably the pick of the night's set, even though I didn't actually know any of the songs they played. As a unit they function very well, each apparently understanding where the others were, and they were very Heads-like at times, as well as prime Mugstar, when they went into overdrive. In the last couple of tunes the Girl Sweat nutter reappeared and howled into a microphone - which I felt didn't enhance the Cosmic Dead's set at all, and we split just before the end.

I am surprised this lot don't get more attention. Are they not popular with the Roadburn circuit? They could give a lot of those doomy pounding bands a run for their money for sure. Maybe they are. I just think an act like that would win a lot of friends at festivals like Roadburn and that doom thing coming up in London next year that Electric Wizard are headlining.

An interesting evening then. Oh, and worth highlighting the extensive refurbishment the Brudenell has had. It looks pretty snazzy inside - perfect timing for the arrival of you-know-who next week!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:Saw The Cosmic Dead at the Brudenell last might.

I am surprised this lot don't get more attention. Are they not popular with the Roadburn circuit? They could give a lot of those doomy pounding bands a run for their money for sure. Maybe they are. I just think an act like that would win a lot of friends at festivals like Roadburn and that doom thing coming up in London next year that Electric Wizard are headlining.
They played Roadburn a couple of years ago and I think you'll find a few fans round these parts. Still waiting for an opportunity to catch them live myself :roll:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote: I am surprised this lot don't get more attention. Are they not popular with the Roadburn circuit? They could give a lot of those doomy pounding bands a run for their money for sure. Maybe they are. I just think an act like that would win a lot of friends at festivals like Roadburn and that doom thing coming up in London next year that Electric Wizard are headlining.
I'm good friends with the band and have known James T (the guitarist) for many years. They are a superb live band and can hold their own with pretty much any one i've seen them play live with (Carlton Melton, White Hills, Dead Meadow, amongst others) and they played on of the heaviest shows i've ever witnessed last year at their "homecoming show" at the end of their Euro tour last year. Great guys. Like you say, they have such a natural understanding as to where each of them is in the cacophany of sound they produce that its telepathic sometimes and very impressive. They are also very good musicians individually too. Julian is an incredible drummer and his pummelling interplay with Omar (the bassist) is relentless and just incredible to witness at times leaving James T and Lewis (synths) so just go nuts all over the rest of it.

Great band and gutted i'm missing teir super show with Lumerians and Carlton Melton in a few weeks... thats gonna be a helluva show!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Great write up Mr Runcible, those guys sound impressive.

In a perverse way I'm even more interested in the one-man-mentalist known as 'Girl Sweat'...

I mean really!?
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

caught a bit of The Cosmic Dead a couple of years back at Liverpool Psych Fest- they totally rocked. I think I randomly had a drunken chat with the guitarist outside too.

on Saturday I went to see Wand in Birmingham. I am not that familiar with them so wasn't sure whether to check them out, but they were getting rave reviews on this very board and I haven't been to a gig in a fair few weeks so thought it was worth a go.
the venue was weird- I thought I had the wrong place first as it was a pub whereby some wideboys were dancing to some 'banging beats'. turns out to get to the gig venue you had to walk through some toilets (!?) and down some steps into the cellar. pretty nice venue though, and a very healthy turnout for a fairly obscure band, who I agree look set to make a jump in popularity.

it was a really solid set, but I wasn't blown away. I guess the fact I didn't know any of the songs kinda affects that. the band were really tight, it was surprisingly loud too (trouser flapping in places) and I found the variety good- there was some garagey, punky moments, moments of trippiness including some almost krautrock grooves and the final song was the frontman doing a solo song thing. some great guitar effects in place including some tasty fuzz and some crazy filtering at one stage. they did the cover of the Velvet's What Goes On too.
conversely though the variety was almost what stopped it really hitting the spot for me.. there seemed to be interesting bits and pieces all over the place, but nothing where it really congealed into a statement or something really convincing.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:I am surprised this lot don't get more attention. Are they not popular with the Roadburn circuit?
Runcible, are you serious? Type in "Cosmic Dead" in the search function on this site and I'm sure you'll find that they've been talked about loads on here over the last couple of years. I've seen them twice down here in Brighton and they were simply incredible...so much energy. The drummer, Jewlian, in particular is a genius musician. Their debut LP on Cardinal Fuzz has just been given the reissue treatment and is a fantastic place to start if you want to check out their recorded output.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Couple of gigs last week to catch up on

Houndstooth at Gullivers Manchester

Good crowd assembled last Tuesday for this band from Portland (I think !!) Kind of a cross between Neil Youn early 70's with Madder Rose. Two albums in and they are really hitting their stride, lead guitarist is excellent and the band seemed to really enjoy the night, they also went onto mention how poorly supported they are in the states and they have been seriously surprised with the turnouts in Europe. Could of done with more tunes from the 1st album which I prefer, but just a minor quibble.

two night later I was watching;

Wand @ Soup Kitchen Manchester

really enjoyed this, they played loads of new stuff with a bout 4 tracks from the last album Gollum and a super charged version of The Velvets What Goes On. Assesments made by others on the band elsewhere on this thread and I would agree with most. They were super tight, drummer and the front man were particually impressive. Another good turnout, not sold out but pretty close I would say
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just chip in and say I saw Wand @ Broadcast last Friday, really good night, not been out gigging since Mogwai show in May or something, anyway Wand, been digging these guys since I 1st heard Flying Golem last year and had much enjoyment from the 2 noisy, garage/ psyche albums since, they played a good selection from both albums and some new stuff & a couple of covers the above mentioned `Velvets and The Doors The End I`m sure. As a live unit I thought they were really cooking, the front man and drummer in particular, I loved seeing the slight bespectacled drummer folding his spec`s and carefully putting them down before totally loosing his shit for an hour, they were very loud and my ears were ringing all the next day, they could certainly unleash the chaotic garage sound I love - touches of Ty Segall very much on show - and I must mention the rhythm guitarist, nonchalant and disinterested, possibly bored or waiting to get home, sorta camp & comical, as all hell was breaking loose around him, some of the stuff from the 2nd album is really pretty heavy, very strange.

Good crowd in, no quite sold out, but very enthusiastic, not much to shout about on the merch table though, looking forward to the 3rd album in just about a year very much, might just give it a listen now as its streaming in quite a few places from today onwards.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Younghusband/ Jacco Gardner in Coventry last night.

Younghusband were disappointing. I expected something a bit shoegazey but they just sounded like your standard indie pop band to me. maybe they've changed direction (they said all the songs they played were from the upcoming new album) but it was jingly jangly, fairly innocuous fare. if it was MBV influenced we are talking Sunny Sundae Smile.

Jacco Gardner's set was top stuff however. he manages to tread a fine line by being quite retro without sounding too kitsch or derivative. the band were really tight and confident with every note in the right place. the keyboard tones and the rhythm section were just spot on (particularly liked the bassist's chunky bass playing which made me think of Dungen for some reason)
he is quite good at writing these melodic, folky songs while still sounding trippy and dreamy, but my favourites were where the band went off into a groove. the last song of the main set was my favourite and really flew off into a nice jam.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

saw Low on saturday night and it was probably the best time I've seen them. they played a much more diverse set than I've seen from them in quite a while- they pulled songs from as far back as 'secret name' and threw in a few unexpected ones from their more recent stuff. they played almost all of 'ones and sixes' which is fantastic and quite a few from 'the invisible way,' of course. they also encored with two songs from 'things we lost in the fire' that I'd never heard live before. it was a long set too- an hour and 45 minutes and it had a lot of peaks and valleys and they sounded on point and precise as ever.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ufomammut at Grand Social, Dublin

Highly enjoyable gig. For the uninitiated Ufomammut are a Stoner/Psych/Doom power trio from Italy.
This was their second ever Irish appearance (The first being Belfast the previous night) so the crowd was appreciative of them finally making it here.
They were right up against that fine line between 'Heavy' and 'Metal' but never crossed it. 75 mins of heavy, doomy, sludgy riffs with psych atmospherics (which, a tad disappointingly, appeared to be from a laptop). Thankfully the vocals were more like Dave Brock, Dave W or Robert Hampson rather than the shite 'metal' vocals that usually detract from these kind of bands.

For those of you who like things Heavy I highly recommend you check these guys out.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went to the Rockaway Beach festival at Butlins in Bognor Regis at the weekend for a friend's 40th. It was like a more mainstream ATP with far superior accommodation and more things to do. Line-up was a mixed bag to say the least, with Echo and the Bunnymen, Johnny Marr and Spiritualized headlining the 3 nights. I peaked too early on the Friday and got absolutely smashed so my memory of that day is shaky at best though can vaguely remember seeing the Fall and the start of Echo and the Bunnymen. Saturday I was in bed and throwing up until 6pm so that wasn't brilliant either :oops: Ghostpoet were very entertaining and the Johnny Marr live experience was like walking a thin line between Smiths karaoke and just sheer jubilation of hearing those songs played by the actual man who wrote the tunes, seeing as I never saw them at the time.

Spiritualized set on Saturday was brilliant and, to my knowledge, pretty much a carbon-copy of their Liverpool performance. A few technical hiccups with the back screen projections and a few issues with the sound mix didn't seem to put Jason and co. off. Neither did the fact that the audience had practically halved from the start of the weekend by the time they came on. Highlights were many, especially the Shine A Light/Born Never Asked/Electric Mainline triple whammy mid-set. They also did a portion of Take Good Care of It at the end of Take Your Time which was a real treat. I grabbed a set list after the show (see below) and it indicated that Take Your Time was an encore but I'm pretty sure they played straight through.

Anyway, here's what they played:-

So Long You Pretty Thing (Intro)
Hey Jane
Lord Let It Rain On Me
Cheapster
The Road
Electricity
Shine A Light
Born Never Asked
Electric Mainline
Oh Baby
She Kissed Me
Soul On Fire
Walkin With Jesus
Come Together
Take Me To The Other Side
Take Your Time
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Just fallen in the door from Ride at the O2 in Liverpool. I really hate that venue, and the crowd was dead until 1/3 of the way through the Nowhere set (a one point the gig was a bit like a care in the community meeting for gentlemen of a certain age) . Things picked up towards the end. Nowhere (tune not LP) itself was fantastic, as was the encore of Drive Blind and Chelsea girl. Nice to see Dave and Gaz. I got my Dad dance out for OX4 in the warm up set :oops: My pal Dan did a decent job with the show. All in all a decent night out.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I seem to remember the dad dance came out for the very same song in Manchester :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:I seem to remember the dad dance came out for the very same song in Manchester :)
8)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Setlist from Ride in Liverpool last night:

First Set
Leave Them All Behind
Like a Daydream
Unfamiliar
Time Machine
Chrome Waves
Twisterella
OX4
Time of Her Time
Today
Mouse Trap

Nowhere Set
Seagull
Kaleidoscope
In a Different Place
Polar Bear
Dreams Burn Down
Decay
Paralysed
Vapour Trail
Taste
Here and Now
Nowhere

Encore
Drive Blind
Chelsea Girl
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ride in Liverpool were awesome.

What a fine evening. Seriously thinking about going to the Birmingham show
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

how did Time Machine come across?
Aquarian-Time wrote:Ride in Liverpool were awesome.

What a fine evening. Seriously thinking about going to the Birmingham show
do it, you know you want to!