Sticky Fingers reissue deal

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

To those of you in the US Target has a deal on the Sticky Fingers 2x CD. For $17.99 you get the 2 CD's plus a redemption code for the vinyl free. I shit you not. I just bought one today and used the redemption code. Supposedly the LP is on its way. Just make sure the package has that offer. It is on front under the shrinkwrap.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Pat Garrett
Known user

Re: Sticky Fingers reissue deal

Post by Pat Garrett »

Thanks so much - great deal.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

FYI - no working zipper on the reissue LP.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote:Well then it wont ruin the record in front of it.
:lol: That was exactly what I thought.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Great Promotional; thanks spzretent.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

price is up to 19.99 now, but still a bargain....
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Thanks very much Alan, ordered.
I think I feel it coming on
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

many versions. some of the real zip.

http://www.rollingstones.com/stickyfingers/

also, the Spanish cover is being made available.

A rare Spanish pressing of Sticky Fingers is to be released outside of Spain for the first time, as a limited edition deluxe double LP set.

The original Andy Warhol artwork for Sticky Fingers was banned in Spain under General Franco, so the band arranged for John Pasche (who designed the first tongue logo), and Phil Jude (who later photographed the goat’s head for the inner sleeve of Goats Head Soup) to create alternative cover artwork.

The limited edition deluxe double LP set will be released on 15th June.

The track listing comprises of the original Sticky Fingers songs, rare alternative takes and four previously unreleased live tracks from the Rolling Stones’ legendary show at London’s Roundhouse in 1971.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

And it is appreciated, thanks!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Interesting to note about the Spanish version:

'Sister Morphine' which was used on all worldwide releases was banned in Spain and, as a result, was taken out of that country release, 'Let It Rock' (Live) was used instead.

The UO version has the standard track-listing.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I got the ho-hum, 2CD version today and it sounds so good. Better album than Exile no matter what all the hipper-than-thou revisionists will have you believe.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runaway wrote: Better album than Exile no matter what all the hipper-than-thou revisionists will have you believe.
That would be the critics who did a 360. Outside of Hot Rocks, Exile was the first Stones record I loved and played non stop.
Sticky Fingers is a great record but it doesn't even crack my Stones top 5.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:
runaway wrote: Better album than Exile no matter what all the hipper-than-thou revisionists will have you believe.
That would be the critics who did a 360. Outside of Hot Rocks, Exile was the first Stones record I loved and played non stop.
Sticky Fingers is a great record but it doesn't even crack my Stones top 5.
You got me here Spzretent, out of interest, what is your Stones Top 5 .
Ill Be honest here my interest in the Stones sorta wanes after Let It Bleed, all my own personal fav`s would probably be `60s albums,
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

1. Exile On Main St
2. Beggars Banquet
3. Let It Bleed.
4. Between The Buttons
5. Goats Head Soup
I would count Metamorphosis but since it was a contractual obligation I wont. Side 2 of that record would fit nicely at number 4.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

That's interesting you pick Goats Head Soup, owned it for around 25 yrs now and never gave it more than a cursory listen when I bought it, maybe I should dig it out an reappraise it.

2,3,4, would make my list as well, and a lot of love for Aftermath round here, listened to that album pretty consistently for 20 odd years now.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I know Goats Head Soup is accused of being lazy or Stones by numbers but there are some fantastic songs on it. Hide Your Love, Winter, Coming Down Again, Silver Train.
A lot of those songs were born in earlier sessions just like some of Exile was born in the Let It Bleed sessions.
I have a lot of time for Black & Blue too. Way overlooked. It certainly lacks any kind of direction but there are some great songs on that as well. Hey Negrita, Hand Of Fate, Cherry Oh Baby, Crazy Mama.
In my opinion the golden era of the Stones didn't stop with Exile. It may have peaked there but I think it goes all the way up to Some Girls. It also starts earlier than Beggars Banquet.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Goats Head Soup instead of Sticky Fingers? Okaaaay.....
I'd probably put Some Girls on my top five list - almost a minor miracle that they pulled off a record of that quality at that point in their career.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Full disclosure, I am a massive Stones fan.
My reasoning for not rating SF higher is that I have heard it way, way too much. On the other hand I have heard Exile probably ten times more and it still sounds fresh. Every single time.
Cant really explain that any better than BzaInSpace did in the SF vs Exile thread.
Just me and my fanboy opinion.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, sorry, Alan, but putting Goat's Head Soup above Sticky Fingers is insanity. I get that you may have heard SF a few too many times, but I don't see how anyone could argue that GHS is a better album.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

runaway wrote:I got the ho-hum, 2CD version today and it sounds so good. Better album than Exile no matter what all the hipper-than-thou revisionists will have you believe.
Whaaaat?

For me at least the love I have from that record was founded on endless days/nights/mornings of sheer pleasure - not quite as debauched as what went down on in Nellcôte of course, but the vibes were somewhat similar. Maybe.

I can't really expand on what I love about that particular album any better than what I wrote here.

Alan's list always surprises me as well - but I'm glad he's not going for the obvious stuff.

The new reissue of Sticky Fingers looks great, I am however disappointed they've basically just reissued the 2009 remaster. My thoughts on that are back on that link too. Simply put, it sounds great loud, especially driving, but it's been compressed to an inch of it's life.
O P 8
Zippy
Known user

Post by Zippy »

I just went out and got this. Thanks for the heads-up
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Richards, who releases his first solo album in 23 years in September, recently spoke to Esquire, where he described the Stones' height of fame during the mid-’60s, comparing the consequences to the effect success had on the Fab Four.

"A whole roomful of chicks yelling at you is not so shabby," Richards said. "Because the year before, nobody would look at you. But they talk about us – the Beatles, those chicks wore those guys out. They stopped touring in 1966 – they were done already. They were ready to go to India and shit."

Responding to suggestions that his band's music may have lasted the test of time better than that of The Beatles, Richards added: "The ?Beatles sounded great when they were The Beatles. But there's not a lot of roots in that music. I think they got carried away. Why not? If you're the Beatles in the ’60s, you just get carried away – you forget what it is you wanted to do."

He continued: "You're starting to do 'Sgt Pepper's...'. Some people think it's a genius album, but I think it's a mishmash of rubbish, kind of like [Rolling Stones album] '...Satanic Majesties...'. If you can make a load of shit, so can we."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/keith-richards/ ... fBblTKb.99
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"There's not a lot of roots in that music." What the fuck? Richards has lost his mind.

Edit: Is the talking about The Beatles in general or just Sgt. Pepper with the quote above? It's hard to tell.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

TheWarmth wrote:"There's not a lot of roots in that music." What the fuck? Richards has lost his mind.

Edit: Is the talking about The Beatles in general or just Sgt. Pepper with the quote above? It's hard to tell.
i think sgnt pepper onwards, but i don't kn ow the beatles so i dunno what the music was like before/after- though i know 'help' is an awful song, awful

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Help is not an awful song. Christ. What planet am I on?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

TheWarmth wrote: What planet am I on?
Regarding Keith Richards, that comment was made most likely because he is a true blues guy and the Stones stuck to their blues roots. The Beatles didn't. Whomever you like better I think the drugs were the fork in the road for both bands.

Since this is a Stones thread I need to give some serious love to Black & Blue. That record is completely overlooked. It has a bit of everything on it. A lot of great songs. Cherry Oh Baby, Hand Of Fate, Crazy Mama, Memory Motel to name a few. I do think from Goats Head Soup on the Stones were not as "deep" a band but they still wrote some great songs. All the way thru Emotional Rescue actually. After that NO.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Beach Boys > Beatles
Kinks > Beatles
Rolling Stones > Beatles
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fuck that shit.

Best bands of the 60s were MC5, Stooges and Miles Davis' various line-ups.

The Stones IMO only did their best material post 1970.

The Beatles are simply overrated. When they go full rock and roll they're incredible but as the 60s went on they became deep in artifice and production over feeling, relying on jokey parody crap and an absolute lack of soul.

Again IMO.

Honourable exceptions for 'I Want You (She's So Heavy') and 'Don't Let Me Down' and 'Day In The Life'.

McCartney sucks.
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

BzaInSpace wrote:
McCartney sucks.

but he wrote the frog song and mullofkintyne! :wink: 8)

Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

The MC5 and Stooges each released one record in the 60s - just that should disqualify them from being the best band. Also of note is that both albums are inconsistent and nowhere nears as good as any Beatles album, most Stones albums, and a handful of Kinks albums. Or Pet Sounds.

Don't know what you're on about with the Beatles relying on jokey parody crap and production over feeling. Go put on the White Album or Let It Be. They became more soulful in the late 60s than any time previously, particularly 62-64 when they mainly wrote silly love songs. 65-66 they did a lot of comedy songs and character studies, and that continued into 67, but that's when they started to get more personal (Getting Better, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, etc.). 68-69 was pretty much all raw music about how they felt, and most of it was pretty spare. Certainly less ornate than anything Spz have ever done.

And McCartney sucking...please. The guy has an incredible voice, has written some of the best melodies ever, and is a blazing guitarist (Taxman solo? Good Morning solo?) and genius bassist. And then there are the songs. Elenor Rigby is waiting for you.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Fight!
Attachments
beatles.jpg
beatles.jpg (10.96 KiB) Viewed 12800 times
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Lazerize wrote:The MC5 and Stooges each released one record in the 60s - just that should disqualify them from being the best band. Also of note is that both albums are inconsistent and nowhere nears as good as any Beatles album, most Stones albums, and a handful of Kinks albums. Or Pet Sounds.

Don't know what you're on about with the Beatles relying on jokey parody crap and production over feeling. Go put on the White Album or Let It Be. They became more soulful in the late 60s than any time previously, particularly 62-64 when they mainly wrote silly love songs. 65-66 they did a lot of comedy songs and character studies, and that continued into 67, but that's when they started to get more personal (Getting Better, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, etc.). 68-69 was pretty much all raw music about how they felt, and most of it was pretty spare. Certainly less ornate than anything Spz have ever done.

And McCartney sucking...please. The guy has an incredible voice, has written some of the best melodies ever, and is a blazing guitarist (Taxman solo? Good Morning solo?) and genius bassist. And then there are the songs. Elenor Rigby is waiting for you.
Yes. Thank you.

As for the Stones, I love the Stones. I'm don't know Black and Blue, though. I'll have to rectify that.

Also, I stand by my defense of the song, "Help". If you're going to nit-pick the Beatles, that's not the place to start.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

BzaInSpace wrote:Honourable exceptions for 'I Want You (She's So Heavy') and 'Don't Let Me Down' and 'Day In The Life'.
Honorable exceptions for everything written by John and George!
BzaInSpace wrote:McCartney sucks.
He's the king of Grandma rock.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

TheWarmth wrote:
Lazerize wrote:The MC5 and Stooges each released one record in the 60s - just that should disqualify them from being the best band. Also of note is that both albums are inconsistent and nowhere nears as good as any Beatles album, most Stones albums, and a handful of Kinks albums. Or Pet Sounds.

Yes. Thank you.

As for the Stones, I love the Stones. I'm don't know Black and Blue, though. I'll have to rectify that.

Also, I stand by my defense of the song, "Help". If you're going to nit-pick the Beatles, that's not the place to start.
apologise, when i was young i was so much younger than today...

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

give a re-listen to It's All Too Much.

then listen to it a few more times.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

what's the world coming to when you have to leap to the defense of the Beatles.
I can sort of see what Keith is saying- I guess there is more roots and blues elements in the Stones music, but I would echo the above comments that the Beatles moved actually towards a more expressive, rootsy sound near the end. I reckon Let It Be is underrated as an album actually. and the fact the Beatles had such a varied sound actually makes them more interesting than the Stones on the whole. well constructed and composed music doesn't neccessarily equal 'artifice'

McCartney has cheesy tendencies- but his bassplaying alone- damnn

Lennon could do cheese too. Double Fantasy- eww
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

angelsighs wrote:what's the world coming to when you have to leap to the defense of the Beatles.
I can sort of see what Keith is saying- I guess there is more roots and blues elements in the Stones music, but I would echo the above comments that the Beatles moved actually towards a more expressive, rootsy sound near the end. I reckon Let It Be is underrated as an album actually. and the fact the Beatles had such a varied sound actually makes them more interesting than the Stones on the whole. well constructed and composed music doesn't neccessarily equal 'artifice'

McCartney has cheesy tendencies- but his bassplaying alone- damnn

Lennon could do cheese too. Double Fantasy- eww
Right on - who'd think that the Beatles would ever have to be defended?
Well said that well constructed and composed music doesn't necessarily equal artifice. In 1967 the Beatles slathered a lot of stuff onto their songs, but the songwriting was just as strong as it was previously. Lately Sgt Pepper's rep seems to have fallen a bit, but I actually like it more every time I hear it, and it's been that way since I first heard it 16 years ago. I absolutely hated it then, but now I find that there's always something new to appreciate. Let It Be is totally underrated. I like it a lot more than Abbey Road, which is by far my least favorite Beatles album. And yeah, I understand that's a fucked up opinion. I've just never been able to get into it as a whole.

But the Stones: I love them too. Their 68-72 run is majestic, but they were almost as good in the 60s. Their singles and albums from 64-67 were incredible, and their development was stunning. Their mid 60s work is really underrated. They were a different band with Brain Jones, but just as good. The stereo mix of Stanic Majesties is a mess, but the mono mix is super trippy and heavy. They ought to release all their pre-Beggar's Banquet mono mixes, because they were the ones that they spent the most time on. The stereo mixes were an afterthought. It's a shame that stereo mixes of everything pre-68 became the standard, because that music was made to be heard in mono.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:They ought to release all their pre-Beggar's Banquet mono mixes, because they were the ones that they spent the most time on. The stereo mixes were an afterthought. It's a shame that stereo mixes of everything pre-68 became the standard, because that music was made to be heard in mono.
yeh a couple of years ago downloaded all the early singles and EPs in mono from ripped from some Japanese only release. some of it sounds punk as fuck.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:I know Goats Head Soup is accused of being lazy or Stones by numbers but there are some fantastic songs on it. Hide Your Love, Winter, Coming Down Again, Silver Train.
A lot of those songs were born in earlier sessions just like some of Exile was born in the Let It Bleed sessions.
I have a lot of time for Black & Blue too. Way overlooked. It certainly lacks any kind of direction but there are some great songs on that as well. Hey Negrita, Hand Of Fate, Cherry Oh Baby, Crazy Mama.
In my opinion the golden era of the Stones didn't stop with Exile. It may have peaked there but I think it goes all the way up to Some Girls. It also starts earlier than Beggars Banquet.
Very much inclined to agree with your last statement spzretent, I always did as far as going backwards goes, Aftermath for me is the 1st classic `Stones album, but like I mentioned earlier I`d never really gave Goats Head Soup more than a cursory listen after owning it for 25 yrs now. Ive since given it a fair listen this last few months, recently got a new turntable as well, and must say its a pretty good little album, its no Let It Bleed but so what, my preconceptions having been challenged I might need to move on to It`s Only Rock N Roll next, only thing is Goats Head Soup has a £4.99 price on it brand new `89/90 I think from some classic range at the time, price of vinyl these days is nuts and pretty prohibitive, I will own up to paying £33 for a new release this yr, nothing special just coloured vinyl, but I wanted it but it wont happen very often.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Heads up - End of Year sale -60% off various items via Rolling Stones official store now through January 31st.
The one item that caught my interest was the Brussels Affair box set.
Original price a steep $375 :shock: - now for $150 which seems somewhat reasonable:

http://rollingstones.shop.bravadousa.co ... =150_59760

Box Set Includes:
Limited-Edition Book
Album: 180-gram Triple-Vinyl Set of the Brussels concert plus 2 CDs
Watch: ’70s-era “Tongue & Lips” Watch—Japan Seiko movement and stainless steel face with brass dial.
Tour Lithograph: 1973 tour lithograph.

History: In 1973, the government of France banned the Rolling Stones from entering French territory because of various run-ins with the law—most of them occurring during summer of 1971, while the band members were in the South of France, recording one of their masterpieces, Exile on Main St. This was a blow to the Stones’ hordes of French fans, who would be shut out from experiencing the Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band In The World on their 1973 European Tour in support of the newly released Goats Head Soup. That October, the band organized a concert across the Belgian border in Brussels, and a local radio station chartered a bus to transport French fans to the now-historic gig.

All the sights and sounds from this historic show and tour have now been amassed for the first time in The Brussels Affair, the inaugural release from the Stones Archive. The package features an 180-gram triple-vinyl album and rare photographs from the Brussels show by Claude Gassian, as well a book documenting the entire 1973 European tour, with exclusive photographs from Michael Putland and a newly written text by acclaimed NME scribe Nick Kent.

"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oh, they were a lot more than that. Like $1400 w/a Jagger & Nick Kent autograph.
I own one. I paid $275 and I still think that was worth it. $150 is a steal.
One of the great live Stones shows at their peak in 1973.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

spzretent wrote:Oh, they were a lot more than that. Like $1400 w/a Jagger & Nick Kent autograph.
I own one. I paid $275 and I still think that was worth it. $150 is a steal.
One of the great live Stones shows at their peak in 1973.
Haha yeah someone on a Stones fb page mentioned that $1400 price.

I've had this boot for so many years in various formats...it was pretty much considered the holy grail (still is I suppose but now official). Was tempted to get this box when officially released,(not the $1400 version!), but due to budget priorities waited and glad I did ...triple vinyl + all the extra's!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It is an awesome package. The book is great. The LP/Cd's? Well, Stones at their best live.
While on the subject I just finished listening to Metamorphosis. Side 2 of that LP is just amazing. It would have fit nicely sandwiched between Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet. Yes, it is THAT good.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Yes I've always loved Metamorphosis and it's slightly hodgepodge mixture of tunes.
Even side one has some cool stuff - including the different/odd version of Out of Time featuring Jimmy Page, Big Jim Sullivan, et al.

I'd consider myself a hardcore Stones fan as well - not so much their recorded output the last 30+ years, but they can still put on a great show. I've seen them live 50+ times including theaters/clubs, arena's, and stadiums. From front row to back row and nearly everywhere in between. Favorite show was Vredenberg, Utrecht, Netherlands '03, a nice theater where I was able to get right up front center. That's probably around the time I came up with my old email address and now username Stonedutch :) . Another great show was a couple years ago at Staples Center with Mick Taylor - a dream came true as I never saw him when he was originally with the Stones. I saw him with the Bluesbreakers at the Roxy in L.A. '82, and a solo show at the 100 Club London, '03, but to see him tear it up on Can't You Hear Me Knockin' , Midnight Rambler, and Sway was amazing. As for favorite albums my picks change often, but if I had to make a list right now I'd say:

Let it Bleed
Exile
Beggars Banquet
Sticky Fingers

With that said, I love the early years when Brian Jones led the band, and all the creativity he brought.
Experimental multi-instrumentalist wizard, and played some great guitar - including slide.

Evidently they're in the studio again, so we'll see if there's any possibility of putting out something worthy compared with their classic stuff. In the meantime, I''ve been enjoying the heck out of Keith's recent solo album Crosseyed Heart - there's some of the old magic on that one.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I figured myself to be the hardest core Stones fan on this message board but I dont hold a candle to you. 50+ shows? I think I am somewhere around 25 shows. I did see them with Mick Taylor a few years ago in Toronto. Worth going up there just to see Cant You Hear Me Knocking and Midnight Rambler with him.
My holy grail was always a bar show. Ever since Toads Place in 1981. It actually happened to me at the Double Door in Chicago in 1997. That was just insane. Them as a bar band. Just amazing.
I cant do stadium shows anymore. I wind up just watching the screen which defeats the purpose.
I have a pretty sizeable collection too. For some reason every time I see Exile in the orig sleeve w/postcards for under say $20 I just buy it. They do make nice gifts and the original US vinyl pressing sounds fantastic.
The nice thing is if demos and outtakes are your thing there are so many crystal clear bootlegs out there. At least the quality will always be amazing.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Haha yeah that wasn't a typo - 50+ which I'm almost embarrassed to admit. :lol:
About half of those were shows from the '02/'03 Licks tour as I had a friend who had connection's with someone who was working with management/promoter for that tour. The first time I saw them was at L.A Coliseum 1981 when I was in high school - it was so much fun and sensory overload it kind of got me hooked I guess.

Stadiums aren't my thing anymore either for any band, but last May the Stones rolled through San Diego at Petco stadium as the only stop in my neck of the woods so I had to go - a friend managed to pick up row 30 so wasn't too bad. Tried to get in the Fonda Theater show - no luck.

That's amazing for you to see them in a bar like that - truly the way they're meant to be experienced. The smallest place I saw them must have been the London Astoria '03 capacity 2,000. Not quite as small as a bar, but definitely a gritty situation packed to the gills.

As for collections, I have several friends who are massive boot collectors/traders, and throughout the years they've given me more than I really know what to do with. As you mentioned - demos, outtakes, and probably nearly every live performance from the last 40 years, plus several from the very early years. Off hand, I don't know if I have a boot from the '97 Double Door show you were at, but if it exists I probably do.

And by the way spzretent, my memory's a bit hazy, but I believe you may have helped me get into the Spiritualized Echo show in L.A. in '08 (damn time flies) by putting my name on a guest list? If that was you, thanks again and again as it was an amazing show. My brother had passed away a day before the show, but I went and it was a perfect escape from the bewilderment I was experiencing at the time. Just what the Dr. ordered - to be lost in 'space' for a night. I even met Jason after the show, and he chatted with me for a couple minutes.

I still lurk around here checking things out, hoping and waiting for some new Spiritualized material to come to fruition, and am glad I stumbled upon this thread recently - cheers!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If you contacted me about the Echo show it is possible. I had a direct line to Jason's manager then so..... If I did, I am glad I could help out especially under the circumstances. I do know some people who were at that show Echo show that said it was amazing.
There is not only a boot of the Double Door show but a pro shot DVD. I know most of the show is on youtube. It was ridiculous. 350 people. That is it. If you need a copy of the CD I can get you one. No idea to to burn a DVD. I am technically not real with it.
How did you get into the Astoria? That is pretty cool. The stories that go with these experiences are always great to hear.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Yes then it had to be you who got me in the door at the Echo - I know I thanked you back then, but I'll be thanking you for the rest of my life! I'll research through the archives of threads and relive it if it's still here.

I'm currently navigating through my entire music collection (thousands of vinyl, cassettes, cd's, dvd's, etc) and moving it all down to my art studio/warehouse space - the categorization process is slow but fun, and am currently building a 15' x 15' wall of vinyl. Will let you know what I find regarding Double Door, but again chances are really good I have it already. If there is a boot of the Echo show I would love that as there is a lot of sentimental value of that show for me. Like you, I'm not technologically advanced enough to deal with that copying/burning stuff lol. Would also be interested in the Ace Hotel, L.A. show from a couple years ago. Or the acoustic Mainlines show at Lobero Theater Santa Barbara, '08. Or Hollywood Bowl '08. And finally, the Mayan Theater 2002 - my first show. l'd be willing to return the favor with some cool Stones knick knacks/'souvenirs which I have a suitcase full of (pins, buttons, pendants, necklaces, stickers, etc., etc., etc.) , and/or if there's any Stones cd/dvd boots you might want I can ask my friend (the hardest diehard) who is sure to have it. He's currently 'indebted' to me as I've given him a ticket to the upcoming David Gilmour show at Hollywood Bowl!

As for the Astoria, I had a friend who bought a pair the minute they went on sale with a presale code. Prior to the tour, we both bought $100 memberships for the fan club which provided a presale code for any one show of the tour which is the only reason we bought them - aiming for a club/theater show. I think we also got a t-shirt and a sticker or whatever, and access to some 'exclusive' videos haha. I used my presale code for the Vredenburg show, and we traded. I happened to be lucky one day when I called RS.com out of curiosity to see when the tickets for that show would go on sale which was a mystery until announced. After a minute of small talk and her going through the schedule, she suddenly yelled over the phone "NOW"!!! Luckily I was right in front of my old and slow dial up desk top, and bam - success! Tickets for those theater/club shows were between $50 and $75 each, and sold out within minutes, so we came out pretty good with our membership investment.

And how in the heck did you get in the Double Door show?!!!! :?:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I knew people in the Virgin Records office in Chicago. I was living there at the time. One was a huge Stones fan and she promised to let me know. On the morning of the show I called and she apologized profusely for not letting me know in time. I only lived 5 minutes from the Double Door so I would have gotten tix had she alerted me.
Anyway my friend, who ran the company I worked for in Chicago, knew people here in Detroit that may have some connections. Someone in the Detroit office knew Carlos Alomar who played with David Bowie quite well. He is also friends with Bernard Fowler. He got us in on the guest list. I even wound up with the set list from the mixing desk. It was a surreal night.
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Incredible spzretent - memories for a lifetime!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

you've actually got a really good point! it's all very well Keith going on about roots, but they were the guys trying to emulate music from a totally different culture and nation! The Beatles did a lot of that too, but they added a totally new, fresh spin on it that was quite British. and bucketloads of charisma. they did go back to their 'roots' but that was musichall, skiffle, folk etc.. British roots music just isn't as evocative and cool as blues though is it :)

here's what none other than Lemmy had to say about the Beatles vs The Stones
Lemmy wrote: the Beatles were hard men too. Brian Epstein cleaned them up for mass consumption, but they were anything but sissies. They were from Liverpool, which is like Hamburg or Norfolk, Virginia--a hard, sea-farin' town, all these dockers and sailors around all the time who would beat the piss out of you if you so much as winked at them. Ringo's from the Dingle, which is like the f***ing Bronx. The Rolling Stones were the mummy's boys--they were all college students from the outskirts of London. They went to starve in London, but it was by choice, to give themselves some sort of aura of disrespectability. I did like the Stones, but they were never anywhere near the Beatles--not for humour, not for originality, not for songs, not for presentation. All they had was Mick Jagger dancing about. Fair enough, the Stones made great records, but they were always s**t on stage, whereas the Beatles were the gear.
Then you get the argument about whether authenticity is the be all and end all anyway. case in point- Spacemen 3- Rugby is a million miles away from the mean streets of detroit but it actually meant the Spacemen gave their early influences a unique spin.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

perfect casting 8) :shock: :? :wink:

The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger could be played by One Direction's Harry Styles in a new film, according to reports.

A movie based on a book by Rob Greenfield is in the works, with the working title Exile On Main Street: A Season In Hell With The Rolling Stones.

According to The Line Of Best Fit, it will follow the band as they make the album 'Exile On Main Street'.

Styles is apparently in the running for the role after his likeness to Jagger was noted when he was filming Dunkirk.

Downton Abbey director Andy Goddard will direct the new Stones movie, with Brandon and Philip Murphy writing the screenplay.

A winter release date has been scheduled for the film, but filming has yet to begin.

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

The Rolling Stones have announced a comprehensive box-set featuring all the band’s recordings from the 1960s.

Out on September 30, ‘The Rolling Stones In Mono’ features both the British and US releases of their albums from 1964’s ‘The Rolling Stones’ to 1969’s ‘Let It Bleed’. It will also house their B-sides and non-album singles and EPs.

As the title suggests, ‘The Rolling Stones In Mono’ features all 186 songs recorded in mono, rather than stereo. Many of them have been unavailable in the mono format since they were first released.

The box is available as 15 CDs, 16 vinyl LPs and digitally. The physical formats feature a 48-page book containing an essay by Rolling Stone journalist David Fricke and rare photographs of the Stones by leading photographer Terry O’Neill.

Because most people didn’t own stereos in the 1960s, most music was mastered to be heard in mono rather than stereo. Although this began to change towards the end of the decade, Mick Jagger criticised the stereo version of the Stones’ 1967 album ‘Their Satanic Majesties Request’. He said in 1968: “’2000 Light Years From Home’ is my favourite song on that album, but it sounds lousy in stereo.”

The Rolling Stones have been recording their first album since 2005's 'A Bigger Bang', which Ronnie Wood has hinted may be the band's first album of covers. Their memorabilia exhibition Exhibitionism runs at London's Saatchi Gallery until September.

’The Rolling Stones In Mono’ contains the following albums:
‘The Rolling Stones’ (1964)
‘12x5’ (US album, 1964)
‘No 2’ (1965)
‘Now!’ (US album, 1965)
‘Out Of Our Heads’ (1965)
‘Out Of Our Heads’ (US version, 1965)
‘December’s Children (And Everybody’s) (US album, 1965)
‘Aftermath’ (1966)
‘Aftermath’ (US version, 1966)
‘Between The Buttons’ (1967)
‘Flowers’ (US album, 1967)
‘Their Satanic Majesties Request’ (1967)
‘Beggar’s Banquet’ (1968)
‘Let It Bleed’ (1969)
‘Stray Cats’ (new album featuring non-album singles, B-sides and EP tracks)