Green Man Festival

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Aquarian-Time
Known user

Green Man Festival

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Been twice before and its a cool festival. However the line up is seriously enticing for me personally. May give this a whirl

Slowdive, SFA, Goat, Television, The Fall, Courtney Barnett, Ultimate Painting, White Fence, Calexico, Hookworms plus plenty more. Well up for this
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: Green Man Festival

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Tickets purchased. Going for a family camping trip (ensured a pass out was forthcoming !)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thought the same thing when I saw the announcement this morning! I am tempted for sure.

the headliners for End of the Road are good too, but that's less impressive with the bands further down the bill.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Wife and I are thinking about it.

Great line-up, just not sure with a 2.5 year old.

Hmmmm

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

SFA and Slowdive? Fucking incredible. I'd love to see Barnett, too. Can't wait for that album to be released.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Hopefully gonna make it to this, haven't done a UK festival in nearly 10 years.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

yeah, today's double announcement of Slowdive and SFA make this very appealing indeed. Same dilemma as Modlab in whether to take a 2 year old or not. Prob not to be honest as will inevitably mean me or the Mrs missing out on a lot of the bands.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:Hopefully gonna make it to this, haven't done a UK festival in nearly 10 years.
I haven't done a 'proper' festival- i.e. one where you camp outside, since 2008!!

aside from the big names already mentioned, I'm stoked to see Steve Gunn and Viet Cong further down the bill.

anyone know if there will be further lineup annoucements or is this final?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah there will be more for sure. Main acts have all been announced as I see it. But usually a good raft of additions get confirmed in the next couple of months. Do it, get yourself a ticket. Be a great fest (no rain though please)
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Got tickets at while back before the lineup was announced as have always wanted to check out this festival. I was expecting some good bands and they have definitely delivered, especially with addition of SFA, Television and Slowdive :D . Looking forward to seeing Hookworms, Goat and Father John Misty as well.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

MODLAB wrote:Wife and I are thinking about it.

Hmmmm

M
dude, this is an amazing festival to go with kids. very chilled out. my friends and myself will be going with children. i did take the fairly reckless move of going a few years ago with my daughter who was only 6 months old and had been born with Downs syndrome and a hole in her heart. needless to say she is now very well and we are all going again this year..
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

spunder wrote:

Hmmmm

M
dude, this is an amazing festival to go with kids. very chilled out. my friends and myself will be going with children. i did take the fairly reckless move of going a few years ago with my daughter who was only 6 months old and had been born with Downs syndrome and a hole in her heart. needless to say she is now very well and we are all going again this year..

You make a very convincing argument spunder.

Will discuss with the wife.

Thank you!

M
Design.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

MODLAB wrote:
spunder wrote:

Hmmmm

M

You make a very convincing argument spunder.

Will discuss with the wife.

Thank you!

M

also very good childrens activity field and other bits and bobs going on. theres a large group of us going so theres a babysitting rota in the eve but in daytime plenty of kids hanging round watching bands n stuff. food stalls are also excellent. see you there ;)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

lots more names have been added, the one that leaps out for me is The Antlers. really liked their first album.
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Not long until this now. Really looking forward to it, especially after watching Father John Misty, SFA and GOAT on the BBC Glastonbury Iplayer site (as well as Spiritualized of course). Always seems that the best bands at Glastonbury are on the Park Stage.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I sat on the fence on this and now it's sold out.
kinda gutted but also good in the sense I need to save the pennies. would love to go to a proper outdoor festival again but they ain't cheap!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I and the family are seriously considering this. if you think of it as camping with music it may well be good...?

http://www.applestock.co.uk/

it helps that it is close to my folks house so easy retreat if it rains too much!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Hmmmm

M
Modlab, I know he's more a todler than a baby now but I think this is still some fine advice from Father John Misty:

Is it OK to take my nine-month-old baby to a festival?
Yeah, it should be, although you should be ready to have a pretty frank discussion with your baby before you go. You need to have ground rules. It’s important to establish some meeting-up points. Also, you need to give your baby some space. It’s important that they feel that you trust them.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... john-misty
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Sounds like sound advice - hahaha!
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

simonkeeping wrote:

Hmmmm

M
Modlab, I know he's more a todler than a baby now but I think this is still some fine advice from Father John Misty:

Is it OK to take my nine-month-old baby to a festival?
Yeah, it should be, although you should be ready to have a pretty frank discussion with your baby before you go. You need to have ground rules. It’s important to establish some meeting-up points. Also, you need to give your baby some space. It’s important that they feel that you trust them.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... john-misty

Brilliant. I guess it has answered it all. HAHA!
Design.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

so then any reports? anyone else go? weather was nowhere near as bad as forecast had a great weekend although missed slowdive who were one band I really wanted to see. Dan Deacon was ace , Leftfield were pretty good. Hookworms were purdy awesome, best time ive seen them. Courtney Barnett and Goat were also ace hadn't seen either them live before, Goat were very trance and there was a good party atmosphere for them. heard bits and bobs of other stuff, couple of Steve Gunn tunes sounded alright. my friends who are big SFA fans all said they were very dull!! will be going next year.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep I went, although I thought the weather apart from Saturday afternoon was pretty miserable. That was in the main due to having to entertain a 5 year old whilst my wife dealt with the baby, so it was never going to be easy. We bailed on Sunday morning (I have seen Goat twice and Courtney Barnett) as our tent porch had a leak and we woke to find a small resevoir in our porch !! The weather was nigh on biblical on Sunday morning, so we packed up left the tent and got the hell out of dodge.
Leftfield sounded good but was with the missus and kids so didn't see them. Friday I saw Calexico who as ever were brilliant, Hookworms (also very good) had a brief chat with Matt prior to show and he said that just got there and it had taken them 6 and half hours !!. They are really tight now and I am warming to MJ's vocals, he is showing signs of more range and delivery. they were real loud (Toby enjoyed them too, says that are his favourite band in the whole world, this is subject to change as he is 5 !. Viet Cong were good, all sorts of styles in the mix there, I got bit of Chameleons in their sound, which surprised me.
Saturday, Jane Weaver (my mate from school on drums !!) was outstanding, very trance, slightly Kraut with great melodies.
Television were superb, even Tom Verlaine was in a good mood !. The Fall (saw half of this set) were excellent, earlier saw Mark E Smith completley own an interviewer in the Literature tent, hilarious. White Fence were really good and had far more clarity to their sound than when i have seen them previously(probably due to far better sound system). Slowdive were unreal, best I have seen them, I was right at the front and the sound was perfection, my only complaint is the vocals have been a bit low on the comeback shows, not this time, just perfect.
Food as always very good, 99 real ales to choose from, loads for the kids to see and do, but as i said to all who would listen, it will be great if it doesn't rain....I have been 3 times and its always rains
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

maan the rain wasn't that bad! Saturday night / Sunday am, rest of time fine for us, I took a 7, 5 and 1.5 year old. going in a large group of friends with kids helped tho.
pissed about slowdive.

bits of steve gunn sounded alright and there was unknown stuff I could hear whilst hanging in Einsteins garden I would've liked to have checked out but there you go

ready for next year?!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

It wasn't too bad but bad enough and the leak in the tent sealed it, plus my missus airbed deflated within minutes (she wasnt getting mine though) I kind of knew we would leave early, but we did have a good time and I'm not saying i would not go again, just not with children. Me and the missus can cope with some rain.
I will say the site was very crowded and it seems they have over sold this. When I last went 2008 it was nothing like the amount of people Thursday was ridiciolous obviously as nothing was happening on the main stage. End of the road festival is far more chilled with similar line up and zero queuing.