What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Greeny
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by Greeny »

Just to join the Ride party... we saw them in Bristol last night. A real game of two halves, in which the first set was really quite perfunctory, almost as if it was a surrogate band doing a bog standard support set.

But the Nowhere half.... fucking hell. That was a different story. Everything was tighter, louder, better mixed and with proper visuals. They were on it. Vapour Trail was absolutely sublime.

Interesting that this view of the two sides to the gig wasn't just ours:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Review-Rid ... story.html
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Greeny wrote:Just to join the Ride party... we saw them in Bristol last night. A real game of two halves, in which the first set was really quite perfunctory, almost as if it was a surrogate band doing a bog standard support set.

But the Nowhere half.... fucking hell. That was a different story. Everything was tighter, louder, better mixed and with proper visuals. They were on it. Vapour Trail was absolutely sublime.

Interesting that this view of the two sides to the gig wasn't just ours:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Review-Rid ... story.html
yeah, I agree with you Greeny, Leave Them All Behind was the only song in the first set that really did it for me, the rest of it felt a little light weight and trying to be poppy, but without the tunes. I was faintly reminded of teenage fanclub for a time, which is not a good thing for me. Second set was blinding, but if the first set was more representative of what a 'normal' Ride set might sound like, I'm not sure I would rush back to see them again.

The Nowhere tracks were wonderful and very evocative. I'd never been a particularly huge fan of ride, but friends were, so I must have listened to that album countless times as a teenager. Still I thought nearly £30 for a ticket was a little on the high side, - or am I just sadly out of touch?

Bonus was to spot the Courney Barnett is playing is Liverpool is December, so I might stretch out for that.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

what's wrong with Teenage Fanclub??

Yo La Tengo- Warwick Arts Centre last night.
a sit down acoustic show in the same format as their new album. double bass, small stand up drumkit, acoustic guitar and some low key lead guitar. very chilled out and hushed, they played the new album pretty much in its entirety, as well as a whole bunch of other covers- including a Herman's Hermits song ("this is the closest we will get to Manchester on this tour!") and Gram Parsons.

they also gave acoustic readings of much of their catalogue- off the top of my head:
Tom Courtney, Pass The Hatchet, Ohm, Our Way To Fall, Deeper into Movies, Season of the Shark, Stockholm Syndrome

Pass The Hatchet was very interesting to hear in this format. it was totally transformed really, into a weird acoustic trancey thing.

the standout for me was Dave Schramm on lead guitar and lap steel. his playing so was smooth and tasteful, very clean tone. really added a lot to the songs without overplaying.

It was a lovely show, although I'd be lying if by the end part of me wasn't kind of craving for a loud electric guitar to plug in and start wailing. one of the strengths of YLT is their variety and you didn't really get that here.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote:what's wrong with Teenage Fanclub??

Yo La Tengo- Warwick Arts Centre last night.
a sit down acoustic show in the same format as their new album. double bass, small stand up drumkit, acoustic guitar and some low key lead guitar. very chilled out and hushed, they played the new album pretty much in its entirety, as well as a whole bunch of other covers- including a Herman's Hermits song ("this is the closest we will get to Manchester on this tour!") and Gram Parsons.

they also gave acoustic readings of much of their catalogue- off the top of my head:
Tom Courtney, Pass The Hatchet, Ohm, Our Way To Fall, Deeper into Movies, Season of the Shark, Stockholm Syndrome

Pass The Hatchet was very interesting to hear in this format. it was totally transformed really, into a weird acoustic trancey thing.

the standout for me was Dave Schramm on lead guitar and lap steel. his playing so was smooth and tasteful, very clean tone. really added a lot to the songs without overplaying.

It was a lovely show, although I'd be lying if by the end part of me wasn't kind of craving for a loud electric guitar to plug in and start wailing. one of the strengths of YLT is their variety and you didn't really get that here.
I just never got teenage fanclub. Tried and failed. Nothing about their music appeals.

Yo la tengo sound good though. Last time they played in Liverpool they did half the set quiet and half loud. thoroughly enjoyed them both.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm curious as to what the setlist was for the first half of the Ride show. I saw them in Chicago and loved it. I just can't imagine what non-Nowhere songs felt "light weight"? "Drive Blind"? Barn-burner. "Birdman"? Wish they'd have played it when I saw them. "Twisterella"? Ok, this is their poppiest song, but man, it's fantastic. Sounded great to me.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm curious as to what the setlist was for the first half of the Ride show. I saw them in Chicago and loved it. I just can't imagine what non-Nowhere songs felt "light weight"? "Drive Blind"? Barn-burner. "Birdman"? Wish they'd have played it when I saw them. "Twisterella"? Ok, this is their poppiest song, but man, it's fantastic. Sounded great to me.
Drive Blind was in the post-Nowhere encore, and was indeed the burn-burner you mention!

However, they opened as per Olan's noted setlist earlier in this thread, i.e.

First Set
Leave Them All Behind
Like a Daydream
Unfamiliar
Time Machine
Chrome Waves
Twisterella
OX4
Time of Her Time
Today
Mouse Trap

Some winners in there of course, but it was too long and had too many flat points to gain any real momentum.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Greeny wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:I'm curious as to what the setlist was for the first half of the Ride show. I saw them in Chicago and loved it. I just can't imagine what non-Nowhere songs felt "light weight"? "Drive Blind"? Barn-burner. "Birdman"? Wish they'd have played it when I saw them. "Twisterella"? Ok, this is their poppiest song, but man, it's fantastic. Sounded great to me.
Drive Blind was in the post-Nowhere encore, and was indeed the burn-burner you mention!

However, they opened as per Olan's noted setlist earlier in this thread, i.e.

First Set
Leave Them All Behind
Like a Daydream
Unfamiliar
Time Machine
Chrome Waves
Twisterella
OX4
Time of Her Time
Today
Mouse Trap

Some winners in there of course, but it was too long and had too many flat points to gain any real momentum.

Brixton gig:

The first set was:
Leave Them All Behind
Like a Daydream
Unfamiliar
Time Machine
Twisterella
OX4
Black Nite Crash
Today

Worked really well too.
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

RIDE at Birmingham Institute, Thursday night.

sad to say that this is a distant third in terms of the Ride shows I've seen this year. I think it was down to 2 reasons- 1) the sound was very iffy, not as powerful as the previous gigs, the bass in particular wasn't cutting through, it almost sounded like Steve didn't have his fuzz pedal on or something. and 2) the Oxford and Manchester shows were so brilliant, they were never gonna raise the bar each time.

I didn't really see the split between the two sets that people were mentioning earlier- some songs in the first set came across better than others, same with the Nowhere set.
e.g. I have always loved Twisterella, think it's a fantastic, uplifting pop song. but it never comes across hugely well live.
In the Nowhere set, Here and Now sounded really weedy (again, could have been the sound) but Kaledioscope came across surprisingly well.

Time Machine was really great to hear as it's one of my favourite of their lesser known tracks. they did the ambient intro and it sounded brilliant- that rhythm section really know how to play.

my overall highlight was the Nowhere title track. kicked off into a nice noisy jam.

it was still a great show, and in particular it's always awesome to see Loz doing his thing (again reinforced how much I love his drumming), but it didn't really pick up the momentum that the other shows got. they set a high bar to beat.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

dylan last night

The lights went down. Strains of country music filled the stage then in the darkness figures started to emerge. Standing up at fever pitched the crowed cheered and clapped and then the stage lights came on. Stood at the front dressed in civil war clothes and a riverboat gambler hat was the one, the only bob Dylan. The band had started up behind him, a slower tempo than on the record- a deep sound kind of swampy blues blended with the sound that has permutated every album since 1997s time out of mind to shadows in the night

‘’a worried man with a worried mind…
things have changed’

They sure had. This was, it seems, another conception of Dylan. The band seemed like a bar band (in the good sense) one that might have played new Orleans or even the Titanic. After this one heard one of two 1960s Dylan, ‘she’s got everything she needs’ complete with Dylan blowin’ th’ harp, generating wild cheers form the Royal Albert Hall. Next up- what is that- o! It is a new conception of beyond here lies nothing!

At this point I was expecting the setlist to be almost the same as when I last saw him two years ago, maybe a song or two from shadows but, hey ‘what’ll I do when you are far away’, standing for most of the show singing straight into the microphone ala the rat pack that Dylan seems to so idolise, jitterbugging, soft steps, hand gestures- Dylan is dancing! As was I in my seat. The seat was at the end of the row and next to me was metal prop that showed which seat row it was. For the slower numbers I leant my head against it and dreamily watched the show but for the up tempo numbers my leg and shoulders and hands seemed to spring alive ‘listen to that Duquesne whistle blowwwinn’’ and then, what is this? What is this song? I have never heard it before! must be an outtake from Shadows, it is beautiful

Melancholy mood, why must you blind me
Pity me and break the chains
The chains that bind me
Won't you release me, set me free
Bring him back to me
Oh, melancholy mood

Followed by ‘I pay in blood, but not my owwwwwnnnnnn’ (the bastard lyric removed) but after all ‘time and time again I said I’d leave you…take me back I love you, pity me I need you’ o bob we are all fools for you, and then you go and leave us tangled up in blue

‘thank you! we’re going off stage now for a little while’

To approach the monkey in the room- dylan’s voice- I have never heard it better- all of the words bar one on a song I do not know (more on which later) and a few lines here and there- were perfectly audible- his diction was fun and playful, not as playful as his two-shoe though! yes I never heard him live in ‘66 and ’74 when his diction was ellllooooonnngateddddddd but it seems the years have caught up with him and then he in turn with them

The band are back- high water rising, as great as you are man, you’ll never be greater than yourself- I told her I don’t really care followed by a song I never thought I’d hear, words that I wish I could have written

So let them wonder
Let them laugh
Let them frown
You know I’ll love you
‘till the moon’s upside down
Don’t you remember I was
Always your clown
Why try to change me now?

Then a slowed down blues saunter of the early roman kings distributing the corn as the ladies go wild (those lucky bastards) then the hit (giggles) single ‘the night we called it a day’ followed by an exceptionally jaunty spirit on the water ‘you think I’m over the hill, past my prime (crowd whoooooooop) we could have a whooping good time’, a dark scarlet town, with one of my favourite Dylan lyrics- that would appeal to any anal-Proust-loving-nuance-seeking-well, me ‘the streets have names you can’t pronounce’ genius. And then, another unknown song!

And if I fell, fell under the spell of your call
Don't you know I would be caught in the undertow?
So, you see, I just got to say "No, no"
All or nothin' at all

Dylan is doing just that, he is giving all, all he has. For long and wasted years the older gentleman next to me leant me his binoculars (getting my attention by poking my leg, quite hard I may add!) (I was actually sat relatively close and could make out the stage clearly) so I could see Dylan’s face and what went on there, along with his groovy man! Dance steps. Autumn leaves came and went and the stage fell dark

From out of the darkness there was the sound of a violin and Dylan (sat at a piano- he alternated between hand on hip at mic and at the piano, swivelling on his chair to ‘gasp’ engage with the audience (on his level profusely, but by other standards awkwardly barely) and how many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man gorgeously came out and then the kiss off (parting such sweet sorrow)

I’m sick of love; I wish I’d never met you
I’m sick of love; I’m trying to forget you

Just don’t know what to do
I’d give anything to be with you

Yes Uncle Bob, us too

The stage went bright. Dylan stood there looking very uncomfortable before heading off, I thanked the gentleman next to me (who seemed to have taken a shine to me and considering we barely acknowledged each other) and headed out into the night with a spring in my step and it was all I could do to stop myself dancing (in my own way) across the station ‘waitin’ on the last train’, soaked with sweat- the pitfalls of listening to Dylan trying to catch every word and nuance- and to paraphrase the great man one last time

People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
People used to care,
And I’m glad some things have not changed

Setlist

Things Have Changed
She Belongs To Me
Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
What'll I Do
Duquesne Whistle
Melancholy Mood
Pay In Blood
I'm a Fool to Want You
Tangled Up In Blue
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Why Try to Change Me Now
Early Roman Kings
The Night We Called it a Day
Spirit On The Water
Scarlet Town
All Or Nothing At All
Long And Wasted Years
Autumn Leaves
Blowin' In The Wind
Love Sick
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Two this week: Songhoy Blues and Acid Mothers Temple, both in Whelans.

Songhoy Blues first. I caught these in June on a gloriously sunny Sunday afternoon at Body & Soul, stretched out on the grass supping cider, and thoroughly enjoyed them, so I was looking forward to seeing them indoors in a small venue.
Nice african blues vibe but more upbeat and lighter than, say, Tinariwen. Great frontman and guitarist. Usual background hum of chatter throughout though :roll: :evil: Overall a decent gig and worth a punt if they're round your way.

Next Acid Mothers Temple. This was a Melting Paraiso UFO gig so didn't quite hit the mark like their last couple of visits which were under The Cosmic Inferno moniker. Decent nonetheless, played 85 minutes and unleashed that Electric Mainline type tune to great effect. The set moved through blues, jazz, and psych with a bit of noodling. Finished on a very good Pink Lady Lemonade. Would've liked it a little louder but again that's likely my ears rather than volume issues.

Only down side was the pissed-up assholes who barged their way to the front after the second song and decided this was the perfect position to try and hold a conversation all night inbetween trips to the bar. Why don't these people just fuck off. In fact one of them was told to do so on two occasions by a guy not too far away from me. The prick in question did disappear but his two mates stayed for the duration. :evil:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I must admit ignorance on how the Cosmic Inferno/Melting Paraiso division plays out! seeing them on Thursday night and really look forward to it. I remember that Electric Mainline style tune from last time.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

spiritualized - Paradiso amsterdam, oct 30th
played aprox 90 min
usual set
bad sound mix (was sitting front row 1st balcony)
fustrated j (problems with gear)
overall good energy and mind boiling finale!
here are the last 5 minutes of da gig, enjoy
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... 810300[url][/url]
"Thank you"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Acid Mothers Temple, last Thursday at Birmingham Rainbow.

slightly strange venue, this was the upstairs room at the Rainbow, it's one of those weird rooms where it's small but they still have a barrier in front of the stage, meaning unless you are standing in particular places you can't see a lot. plus there are pillars which is never on!!

the merch desk was ridiculous as usual- some great looking T shirts as well as a myriad of CDs (well, more often CD-Rs actually)- yes only a couple of actual records, vinyl master race! it was hard to know what to go for amongst all the various side projects etc but I got a Live CD signed by the band and an album by Green Flames which is a High Rise/AMT crossover.

support band were strange, one guy on bongos and chanting the occasional thing and one guy on guitar through a delay pedal. didn't really go anywhere.

the AMT set itself was cracking, they basically have a set format now it seems- 4 or 5 long numbers jammed out with only the occasional break for breath. they played the Electric Mainline type number which was absolutely fantastic- those chiming guitar parts building up always hits the spot (does anybody know which studio album this is actually from?? I need to get hold of this).
and as always they played Pink Lady Lemonade (which I noticed how to play, that main riff is actually pretty simple, so have been annoying my housemate by playing over and over again!)
I do think it's weird that a band that has such a huge back catalogue always plays a certain song though- is Pink Lady Lemonade their Walking With Jesus (or I guess, their Dark Star?)

the opening song was also great, a slightly funky feel with some crazy bass runs. at another point in the set Kawabata did some droning and looping stuff with what I think was a screwdriver. and of course there was some wild Hendrix-esque guitar heroics with some crazy whammy bar action.

There are points where AMT get messy and self indulgent but at the same time it's very rare I get bored. the set seemed over in a flash. I will definitely try and see them whenever they pass through.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Aye I decided to skip AMT this time round. Like AS alluded to there's only so many times you need to hearPink Lady Lemonade. I get bands playing the hits, but these guys play p much every year. & it was a week night. Couldn't justify the inevitable headache & daze the following day.

Did Rich Robinsons acoustic tour last month. It was prob my favourite gig this year.
He had a few bitter comments about the black crowes but overall it was a great atmosphere. His playing was mesmerising & he covered gram parsons She (tho he ducked out of the high notes!).
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I answered my own question re: the "Electric Mainline song". its on the live CD I bought and it's called 'Another Nanique Dimension- Cometary Orbital Drive'
I wonder if it is a nod to Spz.. the riff is so similar!

I get what you mean Jack, it is weird that a band with such a huge catalogue basically played a very similar set as last time I saw them- Pink Lady Lemonade- Electric Mainliney one- and a couple of other jams. great show though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:I answered my own question re: the "Electric Mainline song". its on the live CD I bought and it's called 'Another Nanique Dimension- Cometary Orbital Drive'
I wonder if it is a nod to Spz.. the riff is so similar!
Thanks for that :D Knowing the song title lead me to do my own searching; there is an album called 'Cometary Orbital Drive To 2199' that features three different versions of the song including this 40 minute version:

Pretty sure I have it on my hard drive and never listened to it :roll:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ahh good work!

methinks I may be paying a little trip to amazon tonight :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Deerhunter and Atlas Sound at the Brudenell.

More like one long set actually and the crowd seemed to know that. I have never known the Brudenell so packed for an opening act but it was solid from start to finish. As Bradford Cox wound down the Atlas Sound set the other Deerhunter band members appeared on stage and the set changed.

Atlas Sound were pretty good - I didn't know any of the stuff he played but some good bouncing rhythms and beats got everyone going. Deerhunter were absolutely fantastic. To my surprise I knew most of the set - chosen largely from Halcyon Digest and the new Fading Frontier - and every single song was a gem. The sound was glorious too - you could hear every note and every beat - which was down to the excellent system in that place. Each tune just rolled over you until the guitar mashing climax took hold - the set way exceeded my expectations which is always a plus. A great deal of banter from Bradford Cox to his tour manager on the merch table, the guy on the mixing desk and even Nathan Clark who was doing the lights. At one point Bradford's guitar wasn't right so he got the crowd to pass it back to the mixing desk to sort it, and then it was passed back again. 'This is the best venue in Europe' he said at one point, adding 'I wish we could just fly in to Leeds, play ONE date here and then fly home again'. Quite so - there was a great vibe in there last night with Bradford having a fun time and Nathan grinning back from the lighting desk.

Myself and Mrs Runcible loved every minute. The band just gelled and were such a tight unit yet it all felt so relaxed. Bradford is a phenomenal guitarist, creating all manner of great sounds all night. The closing track of the main set was a monstrous chugging motoric track I didn't know that went on for a good 15 minutes - it enveloped everyone, us included. They returned for a good half hour of encores, all of which were excellent and the night closed with people around us smiling and looking very happy.

My first time for those guys - and not the last I hope. Really brilliant...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Caught the above on Sunday at the Button Factory, 5th time for Deerhunter and 3rd for Atlas Sound.

I thought Atlas Sound played 15 minutes too long, half an hour would've been fine but 45 minutes dragged it out a bit. Especially as Deerhunter apparently had to cut short their set due to a curfew (A bug bear of mine; surely a band is told on arrival at the venue that there's a curfew in operation, so just start the set earlier rather than cut it short :evil: ). Anyway Atlas Sound was better than the last time, which was Brandon with an acoustic guitar, but not as good as the first when he supported Low and created a sound similar to early Seefeel.
As for Deerhunter i've seen them better. Nothing wrong with the gig, it was solid but it didn't really move me, unlike on previous occasions. I'd probablyplace it at the lower end of the scale. That long tune towards the end was definitely the highlight of the night. I do get the feeling they're not at the same level since Josh Favreau quit the band.

The night before I caught Best Coast at The Academy.

Odd gig in that they actually sounded lighter live than on record, even though they had three guitars on the go for much of it. There was none of the reverbed, garage/shoegaze elements of their records to be heard at all. Instead it sounded like female fronted American alternative bands of the early 90s ( Belly, Veruca Salt etc.). Nowt wrong with that but it just all felt a bit lightweight.
Would I go see them again? I don't think so now that my curiosity has been satisfied.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:That long tune towards the end was definitely the highlight of the night.
What was that called? It was immense.

Anyway - first time for Deerhunter for me and I loved the whole show...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Deerhunter have played short sets every night this tour in fairness. I'm going tomorrow. I expect the long track at the end was Nothing Ever Happened? Love it. Shame they ignore the first album these days though.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

A few recently but will stick to last nights for now.

Ultimate Painting @ Soup Kitchen Manchester

In my advancing years I'm a big fan of strict curfews of 10pm, less so when there are two support bands and especially not so when the second of them, come on 10 mins late and play 45 mins, (and it was shit) so UM only got 45 mins maxiumum despite the sell out crowd wanting much more.
They played great though despite some teething problems initially with Hookworms drummer (as good as he is he really didn't know the songs , especially how they ended...or in some cases didnt !) However this was I think his first assignment with them and it all settled down nicely. 10 songs set, 6 from the first album, 4 from the latest one. All good really, twin guitar, similar vein to Real estate, Luna, Feelies etc, hints of Teenage Fanclub and the Velvets, especially the last track 10 streets, which went on an extended Morrison/Reed style jam. Really good set, shame we could have had a wee bit more
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Last weekend , Cat Power at St John at Hackney London . A solo set from Chan playing guitar then piano and finishing with guitar . The voice is of an angel with a troubled mind as personal issues,anxieties and addictions from Chan's past haunt her again tonight with an unassured appearance. She had no need to worry, because the covers and her own songs sounded sublime . The audience willing her on played their part too.
This all made up for the cancelled gig this time last year at the Union Chapel.
Beach House at Shepherds Bush Empire, support was from Dustin Wong , Chinese/American solo guitarist with loops machine.really enjoyed this set. Beach House set with keyboard drone and matching guitar sounds all seems like slow motion with Victoria Legrand's hypnotic dream pop vocals.
This weekend, Josh T Pearson at St John at Hackney (illuminations) . The hair and beard have gone, but the voice has not. Lots of sad songs, a few gospel duets with his mate ( sorry, can't remember his name) and some slightly annoying stand up comedy and chit chat between songs. Stick to the heartbreak songs and beautiful guitar work please Josh .
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Camera at The Golden Lion, Todmorden.

Saw these guys in the same town last year and they were absolutely fantastic. Last night didn't hit the same level but partly because of technical stuff. The event took place in a room above a large pub, with only 60 tickets available. That's almost double the amount of people who saw them in a basement below a Thai restaurant last year!

They started almost 45 minutes late which was a bit of a set back. Endless issues with faulty leads, the band seemingly about to start before leaving the stage, then returning before leaving once more. When they did get going they were quite a unit - authentic kruatrock with Michael Drummer's amazing beats and rhythms the platform which everything else was set up on. He is an extraordinary figure - only a floor tom, a snare and a cymbal to work with, yet he is a human drum machine, adding complex fills amid his ridiculously steady beat. And he stands up, hunched over his small kit. They were a 4 piece this time - as opposed to a bassless 3 piece last year - and had a different guitarist, but the effect was similar much of the time. When they clicked into motorik mode they were awesome - music to lose yourself in, and everyone was having a good time. After 3 superb tracks the set melted into a shapeless mess of noise which sounded pretty grating to my ears. My other half thought they had stopped and were tuning up or something as it wasn't pleasant. But they got going once more with frantic beat patterns and it got pretty good again.

A good atmosphere in there, with lots of smiles and bobbing heads. One guy was handing round a set of 'fractal glasses' for everyone to turn the lights spectral-like which was fun. And whoever did the sound in there deserves a medal. It was absolutely spot on so you could everything - very impressive for a pub gig. Hats off to Richard Walker of White Rabbit for putting the whole event on too. Lovely chap and someone who puts on such gigs for all the right reasons.

Worth catching if you can - still on tour I believe...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Camera are playing Manchester Saturday, I shall hopefully be in attendance
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Wish they would come north of the border... thats twice they been to the UK and missed us out...
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Wed 11th Kurt Vile & the Violators at Concorde 2 Brighton . Support tonight were New York band Lushes. A guitar and drum combo with some synth . A bag of allsorts , vocal loops , angular guitars and drums.
Kurt Vile's set is just wonderful , the set starts off with three of my favourite songs from the last two albums, I'm an Outlaw,Dust Bunnies and the hypnotic Wakin on a Pretty Daze. Some fine solo acoustic, great band with coolness to the limit.
Thurs 12th
The Fall at Concorde 2 Brighton
On an almost pitch black stage first support band Pre New throw synth,electronica,guitar,backing tapes and angry vocals at the crowd, Sleaford Mods ish . Edgy but very listenable. Next on are Vladimir from Scotland, there seems great promise,but there wasn't enough to hook me on the night, i just kept thinking Kasabian.
You don't always know what you are going to get with a live show from Mark E Smith and the Fall , tonight he is fairly subdued, whilst as per normal messing with the equipment on stage and throwing vocals at you that you cannot understand.
Smith's stage presence is undeniably mesmerizing at times. Some of the crowd at the front lose the plot when Smith hands the mic to them, some already of their faces become uncontrollable in the mosh pit.
Respect to the Fall, that after nearly 40 years they can still whip up an audience with their edgy,apprehensive and unstable shows.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Myrrors @ Soup Kitchen-Manchester

This was great, played for about an hour, most songs other than the last one (which was beyond epic) were similar in delivery but fair play they nailed it. Two guitars, bass, violin and great drummer who had lovely feel to his playing. Songs ebbed and flowed in a kind of Mystical almost spiritual way, just a slightly different take on the current psych music, had a more 70's feel to it, which I liked. What I didn't like was the support band Cavalier Song, I have no words for their attempts at entertainment.

Camera @ Kraak Manchester or whatever its called now

Hastily arranged gig, and an epic fail from the amateurish promoters, curfew at 10.30pm as there was a club night following, so lets put 4 bands on oh and I tell you what lets stick the house band (who were beyond rubbish) on first as they play for 45 minutes and everything runs late. Camera came on at 10.25 and were told that they were done at 10.53!
To be fair they took it well enough and what they did(4 songs) were truly astonishing, The drummer is the star, but they all played their part. They are on at Wrexham Central Station on Saturday so may dabble again and hopefully get a longer set this time
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went to the Fuzz Club festival in Hackney on Saturday and was totally blown away by The Myrrors. Got absolutely lost in the music and it was a mesmerising performance. Gutted I couldn't get to see them 2 nights running when they played Brighton the following night. Can't wait to get my hands on the deluxe reissue that Fuzz Club are doing for their "Burning Circles in the Sky" LP.

Other highlights of the day were Mugstar who were excellent and The Orange Revival who are new to me but sounded awesome. Fuzz Club really know what they're doing and put as much care and effort into this gig as they do with records. Great day out 8) :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Camera show I saw last week has appeared on YouTube:

Interestingly their Paris show - tomorrow night - is going ahead as scheduled.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BROKENHEART wrote:Wed 11th Kurt Vile & the Violators at Concorde 2 Brighton . Support tonight were New York band Lushes. A guitar and drum combo with some synth . A bag of allsorts , vocal loops , angular guitars and drums.
Kurt Vile's set is just wonderful , the set starts off with three of my favourite songs from the last two albums, I'm an Outlaw,Dust Bunnies and the hypnotic Wakin on a Pretty Daze. Some fine solo acoustic, great band with coolness to the limit.
I saw him at the Electric Ballroom in Camden last week. Fantastic. Played 25mins past the curfew, sold out and packed in crowd, right down the front(ish) with my lady. Goldtone was a beauty. Freight Train was wild. He's certainly a dude.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Whelans, Dublin

As I left my house a mate of mine texted me that he'd got some passes for this. I already had a ticket but was able to sell it outside the venue so not a bad start to the evening at all...

The first time i saw this lot I got bored after half an hour. In fairness I had a cold and should have been at home in front of the fire rather than out at a gig so I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. So, two years on would it be any different? Nope. This time I was done after 20 minutes. Lets be honest here and just admit that they are nothing more than a 70s Hard Rock band playing under a cool name. If they were called WarHammer or Jackboot or some shit like that I doubt they'd be playing to anyone but the leather & denim mob.

I knew what to expect but I think I was just hoping it would be heavier and dirtier live. Where the riffs should slug you in the guts they didn't even tickle my beard. It was too clean and light and the gratuitous use of the 'Thin Lizzy dual guitar sound' is an affront to my ears.
It's funny, I don't dislike Auntie Annie & The Bedsheets (yep, I really typed that) and the gig itself was fine ( they played a good mixture of new and old over the course of about 80 minutes) but it just doesn't excite. There were occasional flashes of Loop-like tones but then the dual guitar shit starts again and ruins it.
If you like 'em they're worth checking out, if you're a fence sitter I'm not sure i'd recommend them. I know i'm done with them now anyway...curiosity well and truly satisfied.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Low at The Crocodile in Seattle last night. Sold out show. Was fantastic - the newer songs (from the last two albums) featured prominently and sounded incredible.

shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

went to see Deerhunter yesterday. Since the first show sold out they'd added an early show that started very very early indeed- 5:30! Didn't get to see Atlas Sound open for that show either, the lights went down at 5:45 and out came the band and tore through a 90-minute set at breakneck speed.

I like how all of the new songs sound live, except for 'living my life' which I just don't like at all as it turns out. As many have said already, they played a lot from 'Halcyon Digest' and nothing from 'Cryptograms' or 'Monomania' (I wasn't nuts about that album, but I figured they'd at least play a song or two from it). 'Agoraphobia' was great to hear, as I've never heard them do that one live. 'Snakeskin' definitely stood out to me, loved the version of 'Helicopter' that they ended the show with and I like how they do 'Rainwater Cassette Exchange' live.

As good as it was it was nowhere near as good as their set at Pitchfork in 2011- which, to be fair, was probably one of the best sets I've ever seen in the five or so years I've been to the festival (Spiritualized in 2008 would be the only one I'd say was better).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band at The Florrie, Liverpool on Saturday.

Only my second visit to Liverpool, but very rewarding. I have to say everyone we met from cabbies to fast food staff to the people at The Florrie were all really friendly and we left with warm feelings towards the city. That was refelected by the amazing atmosphere at The Florrie for Mick Head's glorious set. Same set up as at Hebden Bridge a year ago - acoustic guitar, trumpet and cello - but in a larger venue and in front of his home crowd too. Within seconds of opening track 'Walter's Song' starting I felt the emotion wash over me - lump in my throat, eyes welling up - such is the remarkable charisma of the man on stage. And on it went as he went through endless favourites from Shack, the Strands and his recent solo material. Everything was excellent and his 2 backing musicians were marvellous when they joined him, and sang along sitting down at the back of the stage when Mick did songs by himself. I kept looking around me at the enraptured expressions of absolutely everyone in that place. Everyone - and I really mean everyone - seemed to know every word to every song and they sang along joyously. Loads of banter between Mick and the crowd, lots of chatter to individuals he recognised. It was special. In all honesty it didn't reach the incredible heights of the Hebden Bridge show where he abandoned the set list and just played requests but I was totally captivated from start to finish and remain in total awe of Mick's talent and stage presence, as well as the extraordinary love his audience has for him.

The Florrie is worth a mention. An old building with a vast auditorium, and manned - 100% - by volunteers. The passion the workers have is obvious as when we arrived a lady appeared on the stairs, opened her arms and said loudly 'welcome to The Florrie!' Mick chose the venue over much larger places because he wants to raise awareness of the place and support it. Hats off to him for that, but to everyone involved who were super friendly and made us feel so welcome.

Final gig of the year and what a way to close live music for 2015...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

forgot to post about The Twilight Sad last week.. I know there's a couple of other fans on the board. a fantastic gig to round off 2015. not much to add to my review from their show earlier in the year. I think its my 7th time seeing them and although I don't think they will ever quite equal the first time (which left me literally speechless and one of the best sets I have ever seen), they never disappoint in the live arena.
The guitar sound ranges from your angular postpunk to swirling noise- all the good stuff. James is an utterly mesmerising frontman who doesn't know the meaning of 'phone it in' and always seems genuinely humbled by the love from the crowd. and a there was a lot of love there. the gig was actually downsized from the Academy 2 to Academy 3 but every person there seemed to be a huge fan like me. I was left with a sore throat from bellowing along so loudly. very cathartic.

the set was nice and long too- they've previously been around the hour mark but now with 4 albums to choose from, it was closer to 90 mins and covering all the bases. I particulary enjoyed the version of Nil from the third album. that song is kinda dark and creepy but awesome.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

It was so helpful to get out last night and drown in the din of live music played by living people I love.
Better than drowning in grief.

Always a great gift to hear that Ben Chasny on guitar. Liquidity itself. Mercury spheres scattered and floating through the room. Really healing. His solo set was raucous then lullabyline (good new word, yah?), in turns.
Ye Olde Sunburned Hand of the Man progressive sitar-shaped clanging and clonging head-banging righted all the wronging in the world. So, that was nice, as always.
And my banjoed bumpkin friends Frozen Corn howled a thousand vibrational octaves of happy sadness.
It was quite a night.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'd love to see a full line up of Suburned. Saw a spin off where 3 guys played a 20 minute version of Down By The River, but that's it.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

runcible wrote:... 3 guys played a 20 minute version of Down By The River ...
That sounds great!

I've caught them maybe ten times in the past few years and they've had a different line-up every time. This time they were 7, but probably would've been more if it wasn't such a small space
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Night Beats in the Grand Social, Dublin.

So, Night Beats first visit to these shores and glad to report it was a good 'un. They also pulled a good crowd too, most people i'd seen in the Grand Social since Wooden Shjips a couple of years ago.
First off we had two supports in the capable hands of September Girls and Twinkranes, both playing 30 minutes each.
The former play a mixture of postpunk, shoegaze and pop I suppose. They're not bad and certainly pleasant to look at ( Is that sexist? I honestly don't know anymore) but i'm often left with the feeling that they could do more with their sound.

The latter were their usual solid selves. Twinkranes must be at it for a decade now and they're still playing support to any half decent act who comes into town when really they should be a well established act on the psych scene. Silver Apples/Kraut workouts with the most amazing drummer who also happens to be the singer. I don't know how he does it but I could watch him play all day. Couple of new tunes I think that seemed like works in progress but still did the job. They're either lazy buggers or have shit management but they really should be at another level at this stage.

Then it was Night Beats turn. First thought was 'Christ they're young!' Haven't a clue of song titles but I recognised a few. The guitarist sure can play and the rhythm section was solid, nice grooves going on. I found them to be much better live than on record, the albums I can find a bit forced, like they're trying too hard, but live it sounded a lot more natural and less like an Elevators tribute band. Crowd lapped it up, much dancing going on.
The only complaint I would have is that they only played 35 minutes. Seems pretty short considering their 3rd album is coming out next week, I was expecting 45 minutes to an hour.

I would recommend catching them though if they're playing nearby.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

saw September Girls a couple of years back at the psych fest. I think it's fair to say they are easy on the eye! the songs were pretty good and poppy but like you I wanted a bit more.

I'd really like to see Night Beats myself, I think they do good psych very much in the Black Angels mould.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Think I caught The Nightbeats on a bad night. Shockingly bad when i saw them. Have the first 2 albums but not fussed on buying the new one.

Oh and as promised, my Lame Impala update,.....Part exchanged all their vinyl in VInyl Exchange in Manchester, they are now banished from my mind for ever.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

BROKENHEART wrote:Last weekend , Cat Power at St John at Hackney London . A solo set from Chan playing guitar then piano and finishing with guitar . The voice is of an angel with a troubled mind as personal issues,anxieties and addictions from Chan's past haunt her again tonight with an unassured appearance. She had no need to worry, because the covers and her own songs sounded sublime . The audience willing her on played their part too.

Sounds very similar to the Cat Power gig I saw last year. At times the gig was on the verge of collapsing at other times it was breathtaking. & funnily enough I think part of the show was due to her having fucked up her previous gig in Belfast where she had some kind of breakdown.

Was at Matthew E White last night.
Absolute barnstorming. A total departure from the records, just balls out bar room rock n roll. It was fantastic. I would love to see him in a more austere setting & get a different, more normal set, but last night was one to treasure. One of best, most fun, gigs in years.

I was speaking to him afterwards.
I saiid to him I didn't really catch any Spiritualized influence in the set & he said, "I'd never heard of them until reviewers started mention them regarding my first album". Go figure. I told him he should listen to them because they were the greatest British rock band of all time. He laughed & said he would do & we parted until next time when I expect him to show up with some gospel singers..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

GY!BE last night-

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Caught The Telescopes in Glasgow on Saturday night with the lovely St Deluxe as his backing band.

Been listening to The Telescopes since The Perfect needle was released but have never saw them live. No idea why i've never seen them before now but its a whole different entity now. Support was provided beautifully by a lovely singer/songwriter called Chrissy Barnacle who was such a contrast to the heavy heavy drones and noise that the St Deluxe boys and Stephen Telescope hit us with.

Not so much as a set of songs but more a continuous piece fopr the duration of the set. The St Deluxe boys came on first and got the ball rolling with some noice and feedback, continuously building up layer upon layer until there was just a cacophony of sound. Stephen then wandered onto the stage and proceded to provide some droning vocals over the top. Periodically he would literally crawl behind the amps and drums and just sit there taking it all in. They played for about an hour all in and finished with such a noise that i was almost annoyed whren they finished - I could have listened to it for hours more.

Had a chat with Stephen afterwards and, even though he was rather quietly spoken, he was really appreciative that we had came out. Nice bloke who had plenty of time for a chat and smoke.

Some pics from the night...

Pictures
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Saw GS!YBE last night in Oakland. Great show ! Hadn't seen them in years.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

John Grant in Manchester, what an incredible show. Probably the best vocal showing I've ever seen live, great band, and of course the great songs. Even the stuff from his first LP (which bored me) was great. He is a real performer, yet very gracious and thankful to audience. I would definitely recommend seeing him, even if you're not a fan of his stuff. A truly outstanding show, and one I can't wait to see again.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

James T wrote:John Grant in Manchester, what an incredible show. Probably the best vocal showing I've ever seen live, great band, and of course the great songs. Even the stuff from his first LP (which bored me) was great. He is a real performer, yet very gracious and thankful to audience. I would definitely recommend seeing him, even if you're not a fan of his stuff. A truly outstanding show, and one I can't wait to see again.
Big fan. Did you notice if he had Budgie on drums?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

He sure did
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

two gigs recently, both at the Rainbow in Birmingham

Golden Void- had to check them out due to connections to Assemble Head and Earthless.

the local support band weren't bad- the unfortunately named Mothertrucker (I'm not a fan of jokey names for bands). they looked like accountants but served up some pretty nice grinding postmetal.

missed the other support (Holy Sons) as was chatting in the bar but heard they were good.

Golden Void were just as I expected- they have a psych feel but definitely hinged around songs and quite melodic. there was still some trippy extended jams but it definitely hinged around the tunes, a large dose of classic rock in there as well as the usual psych touchstones. It could have maybe been a bit heavier (and perhaps a second guitar to fill out the sound) but they were really tight with some very fluid soloing. finished with a Motorhead cover.

Ryley Walker & Danny Thompson- a pleasant surprise to discover this was sold out, I think he might be going places! Ryley is definitely influenced by the usual folk-jazz suspects so a team up with Danny Thompson is pretty apt. one criticism I would say is that he is almost *too* influenced by those bands without carving out his own sound. when I listened to the latest album I was almost going "yep, that's the Tim Buckley one, that's the Bert Jansch one, that's the John Martyn one". however he does seem to be developing- I only recognised 2 tunes, I think the rest may have been new and there was one beautiful song that he played in the encore that I thought sounded a bit more alt-rock than folk.

musically it was immaculate- some intricate fingerpicking, he can really sing, some good stage banter, and Danny's double bass playing was fantastic- really filled out the songs and the sound was crystal clear.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James T wrote:John Grant in Manchester, what an incredible show. Probably the best vocal showing I've ever seen live, great band, and of course the great songs. Even the stuff from his first LP (which bored me) was great. He is a real performer, yet very gracious and thankful to audience. I would definitely recommend seeing him, even if you're not a fan of his stuff. A truly outstanding show, and one I can't wait to see again.
This was the first of his solo tours I haven't went too. His first album is by far his best. The latest two were really disappointing, particularly his newest. I love him but it's not the same. There's a distance & a disconnect now. Maybe I'll recapture it someday but I thought it was best to take a break this time. Really bar a few numbers Pale Green Ghosts was a disappointment & this latest one didn't even have those standout tracks.. Was just a minor record I thought whereas Queen of Denmark is still a true classic & still stunning.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

jack white wrote:
This was the first of his solo tours I haven't went too. His first album is by far his best. The latest two were really disappointing, particularly his newest. I love him but it's not the same. There's a distance & a disconnect now. Maybe I'll recapture it someday but I thought it was best to take a break this time. Really bar a few numbers Pale Green Ghosts was a disappointment & this latest one didn't even have those standout tracks.. Was just a minor record I thought whereas Queen of Denmark is still a true classic & still stunning.
Interesting! I actually don't care for his first album apart from a couple of songs, but Pale Green Ghosts hit me immediately and I've still not tired of it. The new one I was disappointed (no pun intended) with originally, but now I love every track. Especially live, the new stuff works incredibly well. I really recommend seeing this tour when it comes back around, as the delivery was second-to-none (I'm sure you know he's great live, but the tracks take on a new life from this latest effort).
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Micheal Head & The Red Elastic Band in Glasgow

First time seeing Micheal Head in any guise and he didn`t disappoint, backed by a cello and a variety of trumpets/french horns he played for 90 mins, running through many highlights from his mighty impressive back catalogue. A very enthusiastic audience singing along and bantering away with Mick between songs loved it, I must admit to being blown away myself, the nervous energy he seems full of between songs in marked contrast to the actual performances, what a away he has with phrasing, I could have listened all night. I`m finding his music has been filling my head all day. not a bad feeling at all.
Last edited by niamhm on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

:mrgreen: I am very envious. Mick remains one of the greatest performers I have ever seen. Wish I had been there!

Just found this which does convey some of the vibe MH can build, and this is just the opening tune. You can hear the crowd all singing along. Cellist Rod Skipp is a fucking star too.

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Rangda last night. Almost didn't go... am not fully enchanted by the new record, and I've a cold coming on. But boy, I'm glad I went after all.
I'd forgotten the physicality of the live show, and that it's a visual as well as a sonic treat. How these three people weave braids of sound and intensity that fill the room while all else falls away. Each one a thousand percent engaged in their own unique and graceful exchange, drawing out sound as if instruments were alive, sentient, and very much in love with the player, responding physically and soulfully.
Really beautiful to watch!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Cosmosis Festival - Manchester - My 1st visit to Manchester, for this 3rd Cosmosis Fest I think, and its markedly bigger than before so I`m told 4/5000 folks and a step up in size of bands booked, not sure how it worked out for the organizers but I had a great time, it didn`t seem uncomfortably busy at any point although, the small Water Stage seemed rammed to bursting anytime I passed it,

After an unpromising start, snarly security, invasive body searches and a bloody beer token system it was the music that made it, Wire who I know very little about except they`ve been around for ages were brilliant, came across really well, I though Uncle Acid were good, really doomy and heavy, but after 25 mins my mind started to wander, a bit of a one trick pony, although its a good trick ,

BJMI had so been looking forward to this set, never having seen them before, but caught on to a couple a things in recent times, I watched then setting up and I have to say I don`t know what the fuck they were doing, seemed to be about 12 people on stage at one point, touching guitars, cables, tapping mikes, them someone else would do the same stuff, went on for an age, very strange. I was pretty underwhelmed really, started of with a pretty slow dirgey thing and never got going, the big layered sound I was expecting , only showed up in flashes,good visuals and lights though, who ever was doing them in the main hall made a right good job of it all day,Tess Parks showed up at one point only serving to emphasize the point that her set with Anton at Liverpool last year blew this set out the water!!

JAMC were the highlight for me, easily, a wander through the back catalogue playing great versions of brilliant songs, a fair few from the maligned Automatic, Between Planets being a particular fav of mine and Blues From A Gun. A surprise playing of Snake Driver and Cracking Up was a proper treat, it has to be said, this sobering up thing really suits them, the band is so tight these days and they had the best sound of anyone all day to my ears. so they stole the show for me, William was hiding at the side of his amp/rig most of the set and I swear he would have played the gig from behind it if he though he could have gotten away with it, funny guy.

Allah - Las would have been hard for anyone to follow that, but I enjoyed this crowd, I`m a sucker for the 60`s vibes they provided, but fuck me, 2.00 - 3.00!! That is some time slot was struggling by the end I`ll admit.Clashes are part and parcel with kinda event & White Hillsclashing with JAMC meant I went to see them in Glasgow on Friday night, got to say they were superb, they always mix the sets up and this was no different, playing tracks I`d never heard before, Don`t Be Afraid particularly standing out and a large chunk of Walks For Motorists, so a good weekend and now in full recovery mode
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah me and James T went as well, didn't spot you though, mind you it was bloody busy.

I was less happy with the overall thing, but fair play the organisers probably pulled it off by the end of the day. The never ending line to actually get in the place meant we missed Wire, must of taken nearly an hour to get in get beer tokens (5 quid a pint basically, small cans of Heineken or large can of bloody Fosters) Food was also a half hour queue, so when you think how long you are there and how long you have to queue for, it got pretty tedious.
Music wise we saw a bit Baba Naga who were OK, although the guitarist could maybe leave his wah wah peddle for just a wee
while ! then The Raveonettes who I am a fan of, made a good old racket, sound was iffy but improved as it went on, big crowd for them too.
The crowd increased further for BJM who I have seen I think about 8 times. A far more together live act than they used to be but still quite shambolic in a good way. A strange set though, the sound again quite muddy, they played loads of newer songs and very few of the classics (which suited me but for the new audience not so sure).
JAMC were great and the set was a nice mix, tight and loud (could have been a little louder but Im being picky).
I then bailed out of the Allah las(seen them 4 times) as I was knackered and had a taxi to jump into in the middle of town.
All in all it was a good night, and thanks to James for the guest list ticket
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I think, overall, the guys from Cosmosis did a really great job of the huge jump in size from previous years. The security they were forced to use by the council/venue (they were shocking), and the drinks and food is also venue run so that is that really. Annoyed me greatly, but didn't take away from some great music. Loved Baba Naga other than, like Dave said, the guitarist over-doing it at times. Bailed when he went into some kind of Biffy Clyro math jam towards the end. Raveonettes were surprisingly great, I always disliked them but the second track especially was superb. Few iffy moments for me, but very enjoyable. Only saw a few tracks of BJM as I decided to go brave the food queue for a second time.

JAMC were really tight as has been noted, incredibly enjoyable set despite my drunk self starting to fall apart by 2am. Some Candy Talking was a highlight!

Allah Las are not for me, they didn't play a full hour did they in the end? I'm not sure, but I was glad when they were done, probably more because I was exhausted and waiting for my friends.

Great to hang out Dave, been too long!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

White Hills & The Cosmic Dead on Friday night in Glasgow.

Always a blast two see these two bands together (think this is the third time now) but they both blew the venue apart with their own brands of noise. Third support was provided by Girl Sweat but he really wasn't my cup of tea.

The Cosmic Dead played a very different set to usual. No set list (they never have one) but all new songs (i think) which made for a different listening experience as you never knew what was coming up next. Even still, they really nailed it. Their level of energy and ability to get a groove going in a wall of noise just blows my mind every time. James T very nearly trashed his guitar at the end (much to the annoyance of his repair guy - my brother!) but they get to a point where there is so much energy and momentum going that they almost implode at the end but only ever in a good way.

The White Hills also were up for some fantastic levels of noise. They don't seem to have anything other than 11 on their amps and you bloody feel it! Really refreshing setlist this time as the last time i felt it was a little-by-numbers, but the inclusion of much of the Walks For Motorists LP and a few previously (to my ears) unheard gems (highlight of the night was Don't Be Afraid) made this a much livelier and interesting show. Again, nothing less than full on.

Superb night all round.

Tonight... Sonic Jesus and Helicon...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote: Third support was provided by Girl Sweat but he really wasn't my cup of tea.
:lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Lee Scratch Perry at the Brudenell on Wednesday.

The way these shows go depends on which musicians are backing Scratch. The first time I saw him the band were ultra tight and it was incredible. These guys were OK - well, 3/4 of them were as I thought the guitarist let everything down by adding very little. The others were really good but I left a bit disappointed. Scratch himself was as bonkers as ever. For a man a few days away from his 80th birthday he remains a great entertainer although I could with a few less bellows of 'FIRE!' which he kept on with. He played lots of stuff with the majority of the set coming from Super Ape, but an excellent version of Crazy Baldhead and another of George Faith's To Be A Lover were the highlights. At one point he puled out a spliff and lit it, then passed it around the audience ('keep it... share it...') so the whole place absolutely reeked of weed. But that's the guy he is and no one at the venue seemed too bothered. Support from the Mad Professor who was pretty good although I prefer a full band to someone fiddling with samples etc. All in all a decent show but not the best I've seen Scratch. Whatever - he remains a legendary figure and you have to admire his resilience and energy...

First gig of the year - 2016 has been the weakest of my life for live music so far!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Meatbodies, Workmans Club, Dublin.

Admission was €12, handed over a €20 note. Waited patiently for my change while the woman on the door looked confused. She then whipped out her phone and typed 20-12 into it.

End of review.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote:Meatbodies, Workmans Club, Dublin.

Admission was €12, handed over a €20 note. Waited patiently for my change while the woman on the door looked confused. She then whipped out her phone and typed 20-12 into it.

End of review.
Lol, :lol: :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael Head at Belgrave Music Hall, Leeds.

Once again Mick Head proved to me he is one of the most extraordinary performers I've ever seen. Playing solo with an acoustic guitar for the most part he was joined by another guitarist for a few songs and a lady came on and sang one song too. But largely he played on his own, racing through a glittering set of classic Shack and Strands songs plus a few I didn't know. The opening 2 songs - Cadiz from Atrorious Revisited and Queen Matilda from the Strands album - were so utterly incredible and charged with raw emotion I was unable to speak, feeling my throat swell and my eyes fill up. Seriously - it was that extraordinary. During Queen Matilda someone near the front was chatting and Mick shouted 'shut the fuck up' and then flew into the instrumental section with such blazing strumming the acoustic sound took on an edge that's hard to describe. The rest of the set followed a similar pattern but it was those 2 openers that floored me completely. A few other spectacular peaks - Streets of Kenny, As Long As I've Got You, Newby Street and more - and endless banter between Mick and the audience created a familiar atmosphere of adulation and respect. I've rarely known a crowd stand and just absorb the music - hardly anyone talking bar during the early songs. After 70 minutes he left the stage but soon returned - somewhat unexpectedly as we were warned a 9.30 curfew was in place so the Liverpool mob could catch the last train - and played another few songs. One of these was Lucinda Byre, a song that can destroy me at the best of times. Last night I felt it ripple through me and the surge of feeling had me transfixed. At Hebden Bride 18 months ago it made me cry - I think if Mick had had his cellist Rod Kipp on stage I'd have done the same, but whatever, it was completely glorious.

Only my 2nd gig of the year but I wonder of anything can eclipse that performance. It's hard to explain the magic that man produces on stage. Such experiences are a genuine treat for a seasoned gig goer like me. Quite a night.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

.IGGY.

Am on Cloud 9.

: ) Goodnight.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Diiv at Birmingham Institute.
Diiv are one of those bands that are know are never going to reinvent the wheel, they are quite derivative but despite all that, I enjoy what they do. you can't go wrong with some delayed guitars interlocking in my opinion. their songs are really catchy too. echoes of The Chameleons, New Order and especially The Cure.

The support act were Ulrika Spacek and they were surprisingly good. spacerock with some great guitar sounds and driving drumming. the last song was a little bit different and rather reminiscent of early Mogwai in the way it built up.

When Diiv came on stage, for some reason the sound quality took a major dip. it's not often that the headliner has worse sound than the support act.. but for some reason it was very rough and muddy. it improved slightly as the set went on, but generally still rough as a dog's arse.

They were certainly pretty tight, seemed energetic and into it too. despite the sound quality I did enjoy the set. the crowd were very young, I have to say I felt a bit of a grandad in there! lots of drunk youngsters moshing and crowdsurfing.
the set seemed to be an equal mixture of the 1st and 2nd albums. this did bring to mind the fact that the band are a bit samey, however. bit of a one trick pony but it's a trick I like. I would imagine I'll get bored of them before too long unless they mix it up.

Autolux at the Bowery Ballroom, NYC.

After deciding I wanted to see a gig while in the States and trawling the listings, decided on this band. I'm not the biggest fan but they are in my ballpark.

support act was Eureka the Butcher which is Marcel from the Mars Volta's solo project- just him messing around on electronics and drum pads. it was okay as a warm up.

Autolux were a mixed bag. their early stuff is a bit more rocky and guitar based, little bit of shoegaze in there, little bit of krautrock with the driving rhythms. the drummer is really good actually, powerful but precise, it was really good to see her at work. the other two swapped between keyboards and guitars.
I enjoyed the rocky ones where the guitar sounds were nice and punchy. but the new album is a bit more electronic, they are trying to go a bit Radiohead but it seems to have smoothed off all their rough edges. quite bland, and why you would have a great drummer at your disposal then 'go electronic' is beyond me.
some great moments though- both the finale of the main set and the encore were excellent and built up to nice powerful endings.