RIP David Bowie

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Dreamweapon
Known user

RIP David Bowie

Post by Dreamweapon »

Just arrived in the car park at work to be greeted by the tragically sad news on the radio that he has died today.

Shellshocked to say the least.

RIP
ro
Known user

Re: RIP David Bowie

Post by ro »

No no no no no no noooooo
No?!?!?!
No.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Just got the news. Speechless.
Dark star indeed
"Thank you"
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Lemmy was hard enough
Now this

My heart is breaking into countless pieces
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Don't go
Don't go
Don't go
Don't go

SHIT!!!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I'm sorry for being the person who's ululating and throwing themselves sobbing into the grave, here.
This is just really, really deeply difficult.
I'm sure I'm not alone.
This person means/meant more to me than I can express.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I know, people die, people die.
It's just that I was hoping I'd never have to see this day.
Long live the Love.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

I can't believe what I'm writing in this post.
A most Inspirational singer,song writer, musician and person that walked this earth. A lot of tears will be shed on this day for a true one of a kind. Ashes to Ashes.
RIP David Bowie.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That came out of the blue. My God, I just don't know what to say. He was a major influence in my musical tastes and I've been playing a load of his stuff recently. In 1983 I slept 2 nights in the street outside Keith Prowse ticket agency off Tottenham Court Road to get tickets for his exclusive Hammersmith Odeon show on the Serious Moonlight tour. I ended up driving to Milton Keynes Bowl without a ticket for the shows in the next few days, just hoping I'd find a tout, which I did. I saw 3 shows in 5 days I think.

RIP to one of the most remarkable and talented musical figures this country has ever produced. 'Not only is it the last show of the tour... it's the last show we'll ever do'.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

This is a sad day.He was such a great man, performer, musician, and inspiration.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Deeply saddened to hear this today. A true wonder and incredible talent. Had no idea he had been battling cancer for such a long time. Horrible, horrible disease :cry:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fuck no... I just listened to Station To Station this morning on the way into work today.

Unreal. Just heard this just now. Shocked
O P 8
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

In shock to hear this... so sad
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Terrible news. Very sad indeed, the new album is excellent. What a way to leave...
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have not heard the new album but now by all accounts it is a goodbye of sorts.
Lemmy knew he was ill and in his true spirit he made it until his tour was over to pass on.
We could learn lessons from these two who were simply one of a kind.
RIP.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Incredibly sad news to wake up to, I saw and I couldn't sleep nor do much after initially hearing. My walks down Anspach and Marché aux Poulets today are soundtracked by his final works. I'll occasionally wipe a tear, but I feel its best to let them fall freely for him.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

RIP

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Blackstar arrived on my doorstep on Friday, so I listened to it throughout the weekend. It's a beautiful piece of work. All of the positive reviews are accurate. I tried listening to it again this morning, but found it very difficult. I'll probably try again tonight. Also, the video for "Lazarus" is now almost unbearable to watch. Seems as though he was holding on until the album was released.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Shocked. Woke up to this news this morning. He just released his new album too !
R.I.P.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

TheWarmth wrote:Blackstar arrived on my doorstep on Friday, so I listened to it throughout the weekend. It's a beautiful piece of work. All of the positive reviews are accurate. I tried listening to it again this morning, but found it very difficult. I'll probably try again tonight. Also, the video for "Lazarus" is now almost unbearable to watch. Seems as though he was holding on until the album was released.
Watching the video again today was, as you say, almost unbearable. Incredible though that he took this news and turned it into such a great piece of work as, of course, the songs seem to be heavily influenced by his impending departure.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

RIP David Bowie. One of the foundations of my long-life love for music. I was brought up on his songs. No matter where your tastes stretch and how mad the things you find yourself listening to over the course of your life, there is a good chance Bowie had already embraced it in his own work.

The new album is quite remarkable. Very sad.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am so very, very saddened to hear Davie Jones/ Bowie, is gone. I just rearranged the "Bowie Cabinet" over the weekend to accommodate some new pieces and sealed, spare copies of his 1st LP, and "The Man Who Sold the World", a fantastic album I had always thought was "overlooked" when compared to many of his other, (brilliant) albums. I was so glad to have found as many 12" Singles, for their sound quality, as I did, having bought every one I ever saw new in a shop.

My wife really enjoys Bowie's music; She is a very tender, gentle person, and I hate to tell her. A lovely German, Full-Sheet Concert Poster of the "Serious Moonlight Tour" is a prominent piece mounted and framed here in the Music Room. Other Concert Posters are in the Study, and Living Rooms.

I've Videos I have not watched yet - not even opened yet; and new LPs I haven't heard. It is terrible to know what he had gone though, with such a cold ending to it all.

Truly, I am really so very sad to hear this, very sad indeed.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Sad news indeed. As a teen I was lucky enough to catch the "Heroes" tour in 1978 (at the Providence Civic Center - some songs recorded there were included on the live Stage album). One of my all time favorite concerts. He always seemed other than mortal to me, and I'm thankful for the musical legacy he left behind.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

So, so awful. I bought Blackstar on Friday, but thanks to a weekend spent visiting the oncology ward, I haven't had a chance to spin it yet. I really was not expecting my first listen to be in tribute to the Great Man. Fucking gutted, and fuck cancer :(
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

BUT: apart from everything else, the dignity in which this Great Man left the world is surely something to be celebrated. No last-hour interviews, no "looking frail and gaunt" photoshoots, no retrospectives or confessions or denouments or public goodbyes; just one final "parting gift for the world" (thank you, Tony Visconti for such a beautiful summation of things) of an album before his private embrace of eternity. Right now, this seems unutterably beautiful to me. I hope (and know) he found peace comfort and happiness in his last days with family and friends.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

RIP David Bowie

Post by BzaInSpace »

THIS. /\

Yeah, just replied to a post by Paul Warmth on FB regarding the truly beautiful looking 'Blackstar' vinyl, The Artist finished off everything in the most dignified and heroic way he could, the timing of that release could not have been coincidence although the weird and random first play in 2 years+ of the immortal 'Station To Station' this morning before I heard the news had to be...

So wrong... Yet so right.

I was near-tearful reading the endless appreciations tonight on my FB newsfeed and beyond, haven't even looked at the wider media yet although I don't think I need to.

A brief listen of the normally shitty BBC Scotland evening show was entirely dedicated to Bowie. 'China Girl' was unexpectedly moving.

In retrospect what this guy did in terms of modern culture and sexuality and bringing high-art to rock and roll (and succeeding) and also having been partly responsible for some of the greatest records ever: Iggy Pop's awesome first two solo albums, the wider appreciation of the VU and Lou and of course producing the colossal 'Raw Power' would be enough for most people, yet his own discography is littered with classics from the start to end.

'Lodger' is fucking amazing and yet is rated nowhere close as the other two Berlin records - I think it's better...

My brain hurts like a warehouse.

Goodnight forever David Bowie.
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I put on "Station To Station" in the car today too, but after hearing the news; StS is always one of my first Bowie ports of call. Once I've had dinner and the snooker's finished (we all have our guilty pleasures ;) ) it's going to Bowie all night...
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I'm a bit calmer now.
I want to share this beautiful thing a friend of mine wrote on facebook:

Trying to make sense of the hurt and loss...even though that thin white alien died at 69 with an extraordinary artistic legacy...I, I think like most who loved him, never externalized him. He's been ever present and a part of me as long as I can remember...as long as I can remember that I was a freak...which is pretty soon after my conscious memory begins. It was like this one heart inside us that all us freaks, "artists", weirdos, queers shared; ever flowing, endlessly providing sustenance and challenge...a gushy well of beauty within us all. I never wanted to feel like that blood pumping between us all was finite.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

As of 22:59 today, Bowie occupies the following positions in iTunes' Top 200:

5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 16, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 30, 34, 35, 37, 41, 45, 49, 51, 53, 54, 58, 59, 62, 63, 65, 66, 73, 75, 77, 80, 83, 86, 90, 92, 95, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113, 115, 116, 120, 122, 123, 126, 127, 129, 130, 133, 136, 138, 142, 149, 151, 156, 165, 167, 170, 173, 180, 183, 184, 185, 187, 190, 195 and 199.

The world loved him and loves him still.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

mc wrote:As of 22:59 today, Bowie occupies the following positions in iTunes' Top 200:

5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 16, 18, 20, 21, 23, 24, 30, 34, 35, 37, 41, 45, 49, 51, 53, 54, 58, 59, 62, 63, 65, 66, 73, 75, 77, 80, 83, 86, 90, 92, 95, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113, 115, 116, 120, 122, 123, 126, 127, 129, 130, 133, 136, 138, 142, 149, 151, 156, 165, 167, 170, 173, 180, 183, 184, 185, 187, 190, 195 and 199.

Brilliant!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

I put on 'Low' on the way to work today, which I haven't listened to in far too long.

What struck me the most about it was how much music sprouted from that one album- there was a lot of 'Oh, that's where *insert band name of any genre here* got that idea!'

Also, closing out the instrumental half of the album when his voice returns to that brief ending section of 'Subterraneans.' I couldn't understand the words he was singing, only noticed it was over too quickly and it left me wanting more.

At work we played 'Blackstar,' 'The Next Day' and the soundtrack from the 'Ziggy Stardust' concert film and I've also fit 'Hunky Dory' and 'Station to Station' in before closing out for the day. Tomorrow there will be more to listen to, of course. I hadn't seen the 'Lazarus' video yet and now I'm wondering when I'll be able to bring myself to watch it. It might take some time.

This is amazing though-
mc wrote:As of 22:59 today, Bowie occupies the following positions in iTunes' Top 200:

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Anton... :D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.06.45.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.06.45.png (583.06 KiB) Viewed 9832 times
Design.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

a heart fm radio anoucer accidently said that david cameron, not bowie, had died

talk about a different audience response...

i never really liked bowie but his impact spread far futher than his own music. would the world know of lou and the velvets if bowie hadn't produced transformer and played velvet songs and brought lou on stage and said 'this man's great'?

who knows but his work with iggy pop and lou reed shows the different levels that he had to bring to music

sad day indeed

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018nsd9

As part of Radio 2's tribute to the late David Bowie, another chance to hear him in concert recorded at the BBC's Maida Vale Studios in 2002.

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

and more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06z0lns

Mark Radcliffe celebrates the life of the musical and cultural icon David Bowie.

Mark Goodier's 2000 documentary exploring David Bowie's extraordinary career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018xy3 ... des/player

Ken Bruce hosts a biography of Bowie drawn entirely from BBC archive interviewsand sessions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06z19rx

and keep an eye out, i'm sure there will be more

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

David Bowie has scored an astonishing nineteen top 100 albums in the UK charts, the first charts listing to be released following his death on Sunday, January 10.

Bowie's new album 'Blackstar' - released just two days before his death on January 8 - becomes his tenth number one album, and the fastest selling release of 2016 so far, with 150,000 copies sold in week one. The Official Charts have revealed Bowie was already on course for the number one spot before he passed away from cancer earlier this week.

The re-entry of a host of the Brixton artist's past albums have flooded the charts, though, with re-charting albums including 'Hunky Dory', 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' and 'Nothing Has Changed'. The latter - a best of - is the second highest charter, in at number five.

Bowie's singles have also gone big this week, with 'Heroes' at number 11, 'Life On Mars' at number 16 and eleven other singles to be found inside the UK top 100.

Bowie released 27 studio albums in total, as well as 120 singles and a wide range of compilations and live albums.

David Bowie has been cremated in New York, according to reports. It is believed he was privately cremated without any friends and family present, as per his wishes. He wanted "to go without any fuss", a source told two UK newspapers.

He passed away on Sunday (January 10) following an 18 month battle with cancer. Reports have since suggested that he "died from liver cancer" after "surviving six heart attacks".

Here's a full rundown of Bowie's chart placings the week after his death:

Album charts:

1. Blackstar
5. Nothing Has Changed
9. The Best of, 1969/1974
14. Hunky Dory
17. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
18. Best of Bowie
23. Aladdin Sane
25. The Next Day
31. Low
37. Diamond Dogs
42. Let's Dance
45. Heroes
55. Station to Station
59. The Best of 1980/1987
60. Young Americans
61. Scary Monsters
89. The Man Who Sold The World
95. Space Oddity
97. Five Years - 1969 - 1973

Singles Charts:

12. Heroes
16. Life On Mars
18. Starman
23. Let's Dance
24. Space Oddity
43. Under Pressure (with Queen)
45. Lazarus
49. Changes
61. Blackstar
62. Ashes to Ashes
65. Rebel Rebel
76. Ziggy Stardust
97. China Girl

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Take 6 minutes and watch this amazing video from 1996.
https://www.facebook.com/pegiyoung/vide ... 7/?fref=nf
Please read Pegi Young's words beneath it.
I get misty eyed watching this which I have now done about 10 times in the last 24 hours.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote:Take 6 minutes and watch this amazing video from 1996.
https://www.facebook.com/pegiyoung/vide ... 7/?fref=nf
Please read Pegi Young's words beneath it.
I get misty eyed watching this which I have now done about 10 times in the last 24 hours.
I love this version! Haven't heard it in so long.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

RIP David Bowie

Post by BzaInSpace »

"It is believed he was privately cremated without any friends and family present, as per his wishes. He wanted "to go without any fuss", a source told two UK newspapers.

He passed away on Sunday (January 10) following an 18 month battle with cancer. Reports have since suggested that he "died from liver cancer" after "surviving six heart attacks".

So sad. Truly gutted. X
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I managed about two minutes of that live version of 'Heroes'. When I saw those poor children I lost it.

And look how fucking cool he looked at age 50.
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That version of Heroes is really moving, even more so now. I'd never seen that before.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Unlike many of my friends David Bowie's death hit me hard Friday. After 5 days of listening to tributes, reading emails and posts, and just talking to people everywhere it really hit me hard. It took that long to sort out my own feelings and realize just what an impact he made not just in music but also art, fashion, individuality and sexuality.
I did write a blog as we do sometimes on the Dock Ellis Records blog page.
Here is a link.
https://dockellisrecords.wordpress.com/ ... e-tribute/
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, has ended a period away from social media to share a letter to his father which was written by a palliative care specialist.

Jones, who directed the films Moon and Source Code, had said that he would be "offline for a while" after the news of Bowie's death was announced last week (January 11). However, he returned on Sunday to retweet a post by cancer charity Marie Curie.

The tweet linked to to a letter written by palliative care consultant Dr Mark Taubert, who told of how Bowie's death had helped one of his patients face up to the end of her life.

“Whilst realization of your death was sinking in during those grey, cold January days of 2016, many of us went on with our day jobs," Taubert wrote. "At the beginning of that week I had a discussion with a hospital patient, facing the end of her life. We discussed your death and your music, and it got us talking about numerous weighty subjects, that are not always straightforward to discuss with someone facing their own demise. In fact, your story became a way for us to communicate very openly about death, something many doctors and nurses struggle to introduce as a topic of conversation.”

Taubert added that Bowie's “gentle death at home” had helped both those working in palliative care and their patients.

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

bowie has fun

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

David Bowie was a serial collaborator with other artists, from his ’70s work with Lou Reed and Iggy Pop to his more recent spate of surprising guest appearances on music by the likes of TV On the Radio, Arcade Fire and Placebo.

But it’s emerged that there was one occasion when the late star had to draw the line: when Coldplay asked him to sing on one of their songs.

“It’s not a very good song is it?” was Bowie’s blunt response to Chris Martin’s letter, asking him to provide vocals in a three-part harmony.

Coldplay drummer Will Champion recalled the story in an interview with the NME:

“We once submitted a song to him because it had this three-part thing that had a sort of David Bowie-type character and I think Chris wrote him a letter saying ‘Please will you sing on it?’ and he came back and said: ‘It’s not a very good song is it’.”

Read more: http://www.wow247.co.uk/2016/01/20/davi ... z3y6I0Yf9d

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

"Aye, that's all well and good but didn't stop Bowie championing the truly awful Placebo though does it... I think he also enjoyed Arcade Fire..."

Haha seriously, that's hilarious.

Forget Coldplay, this Vanity Fair article from late 2013 was doing the rounds a few days back, well worth a read, Bowie's commentary is beautifully written.

Good to see The Last Poets and naturally, "some V.U. white light, returned with thanks":

http://scallemang.ca/bowie25albums/
O P 8