Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by mc »

davedecay wrote:Mothers of Invention: Burnt Weeny Sandwich
Zappa: Studio Tan
Zappa: 200 Motels
Zappa: Joe's Garage Act 1
Zappa: Hot Rats
Nice haul! Three of my FZ favourites in there...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:Jesu - Jesu
cracking album this. crushingly heavy but also kinda droney and dreamy.
I've tried other stuff of his since but nothing seems as good.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

angelsighs wrote: cracking album this. crushingly heavy but also kinda droney and dreamy.
I've tried other stuff of his since but nothing seems as good.
Good to hear! I already have Conqueror, Silver EP and Infinity; I adore the first two and still haven't quite got used to the latter yet. Very much looking forward to my first listen of the debut, but I've got some Irish and Finnish black metal to spin first :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My big trade swap with Sulatron records in Germany arrived last week containing:-

Electric Moon - Mind Explosion (Dark green marbled double vinyl)
Sula Bassana - Shipwrecked (marbled vinyl)
Papir Meets Electric Moon The Papermoon Sessions Live At Roadburn (clear vinyl)
Yuri Gagarin - At The Centre Of All Infinity (2nd press gatefold splatter vinyl)
Sula Bassana/3AM - Disappear/Waves (split 12")
Shooting Guns/Hawkeyes - Brotherhood of The Nod (split LP on grey vinyl)
Polska Radio One - Early Broadcasts (transparent orange vinyl)

I also managed to track down a copy of this which I've been after since getting into all things Electric Moon/Sula Bassana:-

Electric Moon - Lunatics & Lunatics Revenge (1 x purple, 1 x green double vinyl)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:
Good to hear! I already have Conqueror, Silver EP and Infinity; I adore the first two and still haven't quite got used to the latter yet. Very much looking forward to my first listen of the debut, but I've got some Irish and Finnish black metal to spin first :)
Thanks! I'll check those first two out
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

angelsighs wrote: Thanks! I'll check those first two out
From what you've said about the first album, you should find much to enjoy in Conqueror and Silver EP: they're both full of crushing, slow-motion grindcore guitars allied with hazy MBV atmospherics and sugar-sweet melodies. Magnificent stuff.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last Photo you obtained?

Post by semisynthetic »

The bottom, cropped image is from a Photograph taken during filming of Bowie's "Lazarus" Video. (I finally received the actual photograph). This Photo shows what appears to be testing for lighting of this scene, or the overall lighting for this stage area. (The Photo is taken from just above a stage light, the "blurred image' on the lower right hand side). Perhaps this Photo is one which helped decide to keep the "strange personage(?)" - (below), in the Dark, and in the Shadows only; or, likely that was always the intent. I am even cautious to invoke "personage". It is still difficult for me to casually view certain Photos - but this example of the usually unseen "back-stage, behind the camera world" that David Bowie so often worked; and this particular photograph - one with a view that many people will likely never see, and never be able to somehow appreciate, or upon seeing it, have a chance to contemplate just what the camera (can) share from another, very different perspective than we are used to. This ability to see, with even a single image, some unique insight from the making of the this "Lazarus" Video, the last imagery Bowie worked so diligently to create and share with us, allows one to see its creation from a "different point of view"; another reason I'm glad to have found and obtained these Photographs, as emotionally double-edged as they may be.

The "Addendum" Photographs are the latest I've received from the Video Shoot for "Lazarus". Frankly, I expected all three together, and much sooner. Otherwise, I would have waited and used the actual Photograph for each of them. I used the actual, fairly large Photographs for the last two I received, though I resized them to roughly 1/2 to 1/4th their original dimensions for Posting. The images speak for themselves I think. These do not, (unlike the bottom image), have scrawled notes on the back to try and decipher. Just checkmarks and initials.
Attachments
DAVID BOWIE; in Lazarus Video (actual photo used)
DAVID BOWIE; in Lazarus Video (actual photo used)
DAVID BOWIE Alone in Lazarus Video xx.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 22710 times
DAVID BOWIE; in Lazarus Video Shoot (actual photo used).
DAVID BOWIE; in Lazarus Video Shoot (actual photo used).
DAVID BOWIE in Lazarus Video Shoot 604cc.jpg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 22711 times
David Bowie in Photo Shoot from filming "Lazarus" Video (USING CRUDE IMAGE SENT) I should have waited for the original.
David Bowie in Photo Shoot from filming "Lazarus" Video (USING CRUDE IMAGE SENT) I should have waited for the original.
David Bowie in Photo Shoot from filming Lazarus Video USING CRUDE IMAGE SENTcc.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 22835 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 am, edited 14 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Steve Mason- Meet The Humans Lp
The Hanging Stars- Over The Silvery Lake LP Great Pop Supplement shimmery Byrdsy pop record. Another winner from Dom.
Be One Lp
The Besnard Lakes- A Coliseum Complex Museum LP
Cavern Of Anti Matter- Void Beats/Invocation Trex LP
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Hanging Stars - Over The Silvery Lake,
Sula Bassana - Shipwrecked,
Cavern Of Antimatter - Void Beats/ Invocation Tracks,
The Heads - Mau Tinutus,
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few albums/lp's/7" singles/ Posters obtained

Post by semisynthetic »

from lilmoxie.com and dockellis.com; et al

LAKE RUTH; 7" single; "The Inconsolable Jean-Claude" / "The Prisoners Dilemma"; GPS 130; ltd to 300 (new) 2016
dean & britta; 7" single; "Don't Think Twice, it's Alright" / "Hey Paula" GPS 131; #117/400 (new) 2016
WOODEN WAND & the WORLD WAR IV; Three Lobed Recordings 12" LP (sealed)
SADDAR BAZAAR;"Seventh Valley" GPS 127; #242/300; 2015 (new)
THE CLASH; RSD; ltd #110/ 5000 Split-Color Vinyl; Epic Label; 2013 (sealed)
THE HANGING STARS; "Over the Silvery Lake" 12" LP; GPS 129; Winter 2016 (sealed)
PLUS (2) Out Patient Shirts from 2015;

THE STATLER BROTHERS; "Flowers on the Wall" 12" LP "Stereo" 1966 LP Columbia, original release; (sealed)
**This is the 1st song I remember describing madness; I thought it was very funny watching grownups happily singing along with the car radio (which played this often) on a camping trip in the late summer before I started 2nd Grade. It was this song (and this trip), that made me reconsider both the disadvantages and benefits of "growing up"; watching and listening to these "Adults", the people in control, gave me, for a short while, great pause and some worry - and I decided then that regardless of the passage of time, I would try very hard to avoid losing any "child-like qualities" that I believe give me an advantage in this mad world; I hope it has worked, for despite the passage of years, I try to remember what advantages childhood and retaining my sanity offer, and do so without forgetting that it CAN be fun to sing along with, and enjoy what madness may also have to offer from time to time. Sanity is not always what it is cracked up to be; but constant Mania has its own problems; being very tiring is one of them. As for Depression, it won't do, and so be avoided; it is very wasteful and hurtful.

Along the way in the Ether, I Found this Poster, copyrighted 1976 Steven Schapiro, Bewley Brothers, in a now, long-Closed Record Store; about 24" x 35" of the same Kabbalah "Bluebird" suit worn 40 years later in the 2016 "Lazarus" Video from BLACKSTAR. It had never been displayed or even unfolded before this image was made. It does look very Beautiful framed. (I tried to photograph it, but the glare and reflections ruined the look of it for now). Just a few months or less in what I call a "pressing frame", and it will be ready to Frame properly - the Image and its History deserve a full treatment I think; besides, I like it. I had at least one thing in common with Bowie; I carefully keep everything I own, never knowing when it may be needed. I just wish it had been much longer before I ever saw these Kabbala clothing used again for the last time.

I also found, in another city, an early Spiritualized Poster with "Jason Pierce from Spacemen 3" - "Anyway You Want Me"/ "Step into the Breeze"; in a sealed Tube w/ PROMO SHEETs; (spare).
Attachments
DAVID BOWIE Bluebird Kabbala Clothing 1976 Image Later used in BLACKSTAR VIDEO of Lazarus
DAVID BOWIE Bluebird Kabbala Clothing 1976 Image Later used in BLACKSTAR VIDEO of Lazarus
DAVID BOWIE Bluebird Kabbala Clothing 1976 Image Later used in BLACKSTAR VIDEO of Lazarus.jpg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 22709 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 12 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Next couple heading my way...

White Hills - Walks For Motorists (purple vinyl tour version) (picked up at the show on Friday)
Spectrum - Soul Kiss (Glide Divine) LP (Oil filled sleeve/clear vinyl)
EAR - Mesmerised LP
The Cosmic Dead - RaindowHead (ltd green swirl vinyl)
Dead Skeletons - Live In Berlin (ltd colour vinyl - not the fuzz club version)

Also picked up a beautiful screen print of a The Cosmic Dead show in Paris.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

New in the Johnnyboy abode:

Unloved - Guilty Of Love

Andrew Weatherall - Convenanza (out of the blue my friend from up North sent me through a signed copy of this LP as he knows Nina Walsh and wanted to treat me for my birthday next month. What a guy, the world needs more friends like this).

MG Boulter - With Wolves The Lamb Will Lie - (https://mgboulter.bandcamp.com/ - sweet folky sounds by a guy from my local area. Saw him play a very captivating set in a local record store a couple of weekends back)

Duke Of Burgundy - Original Soundtrack by Cat's Eyes

and on pre-order:

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (emu egg rainbow splatter vinyl deluxe gatefold edition)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yet another haul of psych vinyl goodness, including a large batch from Cardinal Fuzz :D 8) :-

White Hills - No Game To Play (milky clear with blood red vinyl)
Dreamtime - S/T (pink vinyl)
Dreamtime - Sun (purple and yellow swirl vinyl)
Shooting Guns - Born To Deal In Magic 1952-1976 (oxblood and black swirl vinyl)
Shooting Guns - Spectral Laundromat (fluorescent green vinyl)
Cosmic Letdown - In The Caves (milky clear vinyl)
Lamagaia - Lamagaius
E Gone - All The Suns of The Earth (white vinyl)
Evening Fires - Where I've Been Is Places, What I've Seen Is Things
Rhododendren - One
The Cosmic Dead - Rainbowhead (green and cream swirl vinyl)
Blown Out - Live Transmissions III @Suprnormal 2015
Hotel Wrecking City Traders - Phantamonium (white vinyl)
Heron Oblivion - (clear "loser edition" vinyl)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Kendrick Lamar - untitled. unmastered.
The Orb - Orblivion
David Bowie - "Hours..."
David Bowie - Space Oddity (I know, call myself a fan and I don't already own this...)
DJ Krush - Jaku
Motion Sickness Of Time Travel - Ballades

Special mention for the last album here - twelve tracks, each one between 50-60 minutes long and named for a Native American term for the month's full moon. Rachel Evans is responsible for some of my favourite modern ambient music, and I can't wait to delve into this colossal opus.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Motion Sickness Of Time Travel - Ballades

Special mention for the last album here - twelve tracks, each one between 50-60 minutes long and named for a Native American term for the month's full moon. Rachel Evans is responsible for some of my favourite modern ambient music, and I can't wait to delve into this colossal opus.
This looks like something I would like to have; a very interesting "Set".
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Wooden Wand- loads of stuff
Death Seat LP
Gypsy Freedom LP
The Flood LP
Farmers Corner LP
Azag toth (cassette with download, not arrived yet)
Xiao LP
Blood Oaths of the new Blues LP

Steve Mason's new LP (which is brilliant)
Hanging Stars LP (also brilliant, live review to follow)
Rhodedendron LP on Deep Distance (good what i have heard so far)
Movement/Woodcraft Folk early 100 only 6" on GPS (had to be pay a few quid for this)
Both Dreamtime Lp's re-issues on Cardinal Fuzz
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Jeff Buckley: You And I
Jeff Buckley: Grace
Underworld: Beaucoup Fish
Ramones: Halfway To Sanity
The Trashmen: Surfin' Bird (1964 original)
Felt: Gold Mine Trash
Morton Subotnick: The Wild Bull (1968)
X-Ray Spex: Germfree Adolescents
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Like mc above, I thought myself to be a solid Bowie fan, but so much had also passed by me; but there is so much; Bowie was driven and prolific.

ARNOLD CORNS (David Bowie; a pre- Ziggy Stardust band releasing a 1971 7" single, along with a 1972 7" single, and a 12" single; a 1978 7" EP was also released - an ROIO. There were a few additional variants. I looked very hard for the Danish single, but so far, no luck. It may take years, if ever at all, to find a Mint, "as new" example. The name Bowie used, that of "Arnold Corns" was derived from his favorite Syd Barrett/ Pink Floyd track at the time of "Arnold Layne". I did manage to find the earliest single from the UK, however; and a later ROIO 7" EP.
The music is well worth adding to the collection; it is a bit raw, but adds something regarding the evolution of Ziggy Stardust.

These singles contain versions of "Moonage Daydream" and "Hang onto Yourself"; the ROIO EP versions have an alternate version of "The Man in the Middle" added on the flip side. The Danish version is on Phillips, and the earliest and no doubt most obscure version; the other 7" singles are on the B&C label, and a later release on a disc numbered Moon25. Missing details are due to my relying on memory alone. The 12" version is very much like the CB200 7" ROIO, and was pressed in 1985, taking advantage of the 12" single sound quality.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Ziggy Stardust Concert Poster April 30th, 1972, at the Plymouth Guildhall; (Van Dike Club of Plymouth, Promoter)

I've been looking through and sorting posters and photographs collected over the years, along with those recently obtained. Whether 1897 or 1997, or last week, I enjoy them; perhaps it's because I enjoy Ephemera, and when something really special comes along, I feel very fortunate to add the piece to my collection.
This latest addition is a simple, but I believe a beautifully executed "Ziggy Stardust Poster" from 1972. A ticket for this Concert was 60p.

When I saw this Poster, recently on display in the V&A Museum - David Bowie Exhibition; I thought it would be a terrific example to have. The Poster, in B&W, is only 17.5" x 23", (approximately), but I was nevertheless impressed with the simplicity and the clearly "early" androgyny that Bowie wished to play with more later, but without the OTT use of color and Glam that came so very quickly after this date. This piece just appeals to me. I was sent a slightly out of square, lower resolution digital image, placed below; (the lower resolution was used to "deny bootleggers the best original"); but a nicer (smaller) image can be found by looking under the artist's name. I know my computer is very old and likely lacks the definition I would like to share, but you get the idea. There is a certain delicacy about the features that I like; it is a well executed piece. It was also placed on very good paper for Ephemera; heavy and glossy; perhaps to survive the elements longer - but it will also help this piece to survive longer.

This Poster was made by and for the Van Dike Club in Plymouth, 1972, as part of the Ziggy Stardust tour, produced and used to advertise a Concert at the Plymouth Guildhall on the 30th of April, 1972; the gig was promoted by the Van Dike Club, a father and son enterprise.

A truly obscure piece that I will have matted and framed as soon as it arrives; this Poster is remarkably well preserved, and captures a moment in time that hints at "The Man Who Sold the World", and "Hunky Dory", among other things. Ephemera was never meant to last; it was a fleeting handbill or a Poster, like this one, nailed or taped or glued to a post or wall for a few days and quickly lost to the elements or covered up by the next moment in time; that is one reason I enjoy finding and preserving such items; they don't go away, at least not yet; they can be enjoyed and reminisced with for some time to come, and if carefully preserved, may be shared in a future "someday" with those who will possibly have no idea what this is. The artist, who's name I'll keep in mind when searching in future for any other such items, is James (Jim) Corridan.
Attachments
DAVID BOWIE early 1972 "Ziggy Stardust Concert Poster", Plymouth England - Van Dike Promoters; Artist James Corridan.
DAVID BOWIE early 1972 "Ziggy Stardust Concert Poster", Plymouth England - Van Dike Promoters; Artist James Corridan.
DAVID BOWIE early 1972 Ziggy Stardust Concert Poster Plymouth England Van Dike Promoters.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 22519 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Paracelsus
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Be One - Which is great.
Unloved - Guilty of Love - Amazing debut album out of nowhere. Always had a soft spot of David Holmes but some of his solo work has suffered slightly from weak song writing. Working with 2 other writers has paid off massively. Possibly David Holmes finest work to date?
Scream - Chaosmosis - Pop magic.
Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression - Not really digging it. Seems very over complicated and at times trying to be a bit too clever which is something Iggy's work has never been. Some of it reminds me a little of Beefheart? I really like Queens of the Stone Age but this is a bit too Josh Homme and not enough Iggy for me. Almost like Josh is trying to do a David Bowie and produce something new but it's not really worked. Its all very slow paced and doesn't really pick up at all through the record - I was expecting at least one rock monster on there. That said I do love the first track (but that's down to the power created by the simplicity and lack of Iggy trying to stretch himself vocally, lets be fair the guys not a young man) but can't see myself listening to this too much.
Ty Segall and the Muggers - Interesting new direction from Ty, good songs as usual but the arrangements are a bit mental. Good to see someone pushing themselves into new places and it working.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Mogwai - Atomic
Gnod - Mirrors
Gnod - Chaudelande
Gnod - In Gnod We Trust
Underworld - Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future

and pre-ordered the third Ultrasound album on PledgeMusic.
Last edited by mc on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soarer
Known user

Post by Soarer »

Most recent: -
Chemical Brothers - Born in the Echoes

before that

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone
Alt j - An Awesome Wave
Alt j - This is all yours

and I downloaded Car Wash Hair by Mercury Rev as I couldn't find my original CD
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

BABY DOLL OST; 1956; MONO; Elia Kazan; original release on USA Columbia CL958 - sealed. From the Tennessee Williams Play. Sealed copies are oftimes darkened even more (this jacket IS dark) when photographed; (the various shrink wrap plastics).

DAVID BOWIE "Bowie Live at the Beeb"; a very heavy 4LP Box Set; Germany; Early performances; sealed. PLUS "Aladdin Sane"; Original Gatefold; purchased sealed; w/ Fan Club Form. Beautiful.
DAVID BOWIE "Black Tie White Noise"; UK; Rare Promo; w/ a Special "w/ Compliments" Card signed and dated by D.B.; ISOLAR Insert; 1993; Purchased sealed via Sweden. A wonderful, & unexpected addition. w/ a B&W 8" x 10" Promo Photo.
DAVID BOWIE Promotional Photo for "Nothing has Changed" from Germany 2013, and a 2nd for "The Next Day", 2014. Neither of these were used (not much at all in the USA, anyway).
DAVID BOWIE "BLACKSTAR" CD; Estonian Release; sealed; & a UK DigiPak w/ Lithographs; 2015; sealed.

Der Blutharsch; 12" Test Pressing, (no title, as is most often the case w/ this band); circa 2003. Austria.
RUDY VALLEE; "Why Don't We Just Run Away?" c.1935; USA; 1-sided Test Pressing; Label #211
[Plus some assorted Photos and Ephemera from 1901 to 2016.]
Attachments
DAVID BOWIE ISOLAR Card "compliments of" signed & dated '93 INSERT w/ "Black Tie White Noise" obscure Promo; w/ a B&W 8 x10" Photo
DAVID BOWIE ISOLAR Card "compliments of" signed & dated '93 INSERT w/ "Black Tie White Noise" obscure Promo; w/ a B&W 8 x10" Photo
DAVID BOWIE ISOLAR complements of signed and dated 1993 INSERT with Black Tie White Noise obscure Promo 471cc.jpg (20.73 KiB) Viewed 21788 times
BABY DOLL 1956 Elia Kazan CL958 1st release (Columbia) MONO - sealed
BABY DOLL 1956 Elia Kazan CL958 1st release (Columbia) MONO - sealed
BABY DOLL 1956 Elia Kazan CL958 Columbia MONO SEALED.JPG 500cc.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 22375 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:38 am, edited 19 times in total.
Paracelsus
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
Jeff Buckley - You And I
Heron Oblivion - Heron Oblivion
Flying Saucer Attack -Chorus
Flying Saucer Attack – Further
Rangda - The Heretic's Bargain
Evangelist (Gavin Clark and Toydrum) - Evangelist
simonkeeping wrote: Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression - Not really digging it. Seems very over complicated and at times trying to be a bit too clever which is something Iggy's work has never been. Some of it reminds me a little of Beefheart? I really like Queens of the Stone Age but this is a bit too Josh Homme and not enough Iggy for me. Almost like Josh is trying to do a David Bowie and produce something new but it's not really worked. Its all very slow paced and doesn't really pick up at all through the record - I was expecting at least one rock monster on there. That said I do love the first track (but that's down to the power created by the simplicity and lack of Iggy trying to stretch himself vocally, lets be fair the guys not a young man) but can't see myself listening to this too much.
That’s exactly what I think. Maybe I was expecting a little bit too much. “Sunday” sounds good, but at the end female chorus comes in and that always makes me feel weird.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Dead Skeletons - Live In Berlin (beautifully packaged, gorgeous white/black/pink/etched splatter vinyl too)
Gnod / White Hills - Gnod Drop Out With White Hills II (been after this for a while)

Having to control myself what with the glut of Cardinal Fuzz releases and my trip to Manchester for The Heads which will inevitably end up with me spending a lot!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Found some excellent Grateful Dead live 3 CD sets on Amazon, all from 1971. Most enjoyable.

I also bought Rosco's The Call of The Cosmos. It starts like the Psychedelic Ubik - somewhat dreamy drones - before heading into fairly grating industrial noise for remaining 2/3 of the album. Not what I was expecting. Tough listening.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote:I also bought Rosco's The Call of The Cosmos. It starts like the Psychedelic Ubik - somewhat dreamy drones - before heading into fairly grating industrial noise for remaining 2/3 of the album. Not what I was expecting. Tough listening.
This is whats put me off about it. Listened to some of his stuff on bandcamp i think and found it a very mixed bag... shame really as i think he's a pretty talented musician.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Laura Gibson- Empire Builder. Folksy singer songwriter with a lot to say.
Pavement- Brighten The Corners. Massively underrated.
Laura Lee- Women's Love Rights. Amazing 70's edgy soul record. A new/old discovery for me.
Ekambi Brillant- Africa Oumba. African psych LP rescued from a thrift shop. Simply incredible.
The Hanging Stars- Over The Silvery Lake Lp Another fantastic Great Pop Supplement release in a Byrdsy pop vein.
Relatively Clean Rivers- S/T LP. Unofficial. Still sounds ace!
Also waiting on a slew of pre orders:
Dead Skeletons Live LP
Luna box set
Money- Suicide Songs
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Primal Scream: Chaosmosis
Primal Scream: Live in Tokyo
Unloved: Guilty of Love
Spacemen 3: Live at New Morning - Geneva, Switzerland
Underworld: Barbara Barbara...
Nippon Girls: 1+2
Bobby Gillespie: Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down
Bo Ningen: III
Fat White Family: Songs for our Mothers
Spectres: Dying
"BE" : One
Suede: Night Thoughts

All great albums! Not one has disappointed me. Thanks to Sonic for signing the S3 album.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bought quite a lot recently

Explosions In The Sky- The Wilderness
The Pop Group- For How Much Longer Do We Tolerate Mass Murder?
Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band- The Rarity of Experience
Chris Forsyth & Koen Holtkamp - The Island
Laddio Bolocko- Live & Unreleased 1997 - 2000
The Electric Flag- A Long Time Comin'
Dungen- Allas Sak
Bob Dylan- No Direction Home
Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol 2
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote:Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band- The Rarity of Experience
What do you think of it? When I heard it my immediate reaction was "I bet 'Sighs and Laz would be into this."
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: What do you think of it? When I heard it my immediate reaction was "I bet 'Sighs and Laz would be into this."
ha is that so? :) you know me well!
I've not listened to this new one yet. his sound is definitely right up my street. the Solar Motel album is one of my favourites of recent years and the last one (Intensity Ghost) was more of a grower but also excellent. the Television comparisons are obvious, but he's also got his own thing going on.
really hoping he plays the UK soon, I'd love to see him live.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Deakin - Sleep Cycle
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Ears
Four Tet - Morning/Evening
The Field - The Follower
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote:What do you think of it? When I heard it my immediate reaction was "I bet 'Sighs and Laz would be into this."
Just saw this so will be checking this out further...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

MODLAB wrote: Primal Scream: Live in Tokyo
What's the vinyl experience like with this one? I have it on cd but am seriously tempted by the double vinyl. Such a great live album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've given the latest Chris Forsyth a listen, think it needs a few more listens. the first disc is similar to his earlier stuff, but it's not grabbing me yet. actually preferring the second disc at the moment which is a bit more minimal and freeform.
if anyone's gonna try him I would definitely start with the 'Solar Motel' album.

I've also had on his record with Koen Holtkamp, would definitely recommend that- it's a bit of a kosmiche trip with the guitar gliding over the top of some synth work.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

MODLAB wrote: Primal Scream: Live in Tokyo
I think I paid something insane like $45 for the cd version back in the day when import cds still held some value. Shelling out another $40 for it on vinyl would suck, but man, I'd love to have it. Let me know how it sounds.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bought some more. it's not an addiction, promise..

Durutti Column- Short Stories for Pauline
Durutti Column- Sex & Death
Rangda- The Heretic's Bargain.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The ultra-rare Dylan Carlson album/DVD arrived over the weekend, and a couple of posthumous FZ albums I don't own have are now avaliable on iTunes, so...

Coleman Grey (drcarlsonalbion) - Falling With a Thousand Stars & Other Wonders From the House of Albion
Frank Zappa - FZ/OZ (Live @ the Hordern Pavilion, Sydney 1976)
Frank Zappa - Greasy Love Songs
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

High Violets - Heroes and Halos
Dandy Warhols - Distortland
Lightening in a Twilight Hour - And all the ships at sea
Primal Scream - Chaosmosis
Various - Shazam! And Other Instrumentals Written By Lee Hazlewood

Coming soon... Britta Phillips , Discharge, Oi Polloi, C87 comp . Been a good year so far for new stuff!
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: R.I.P. Miss M.

Post by semisynthetic »

In 2nd Grade, I began taking Guitar lessons from my Library Teacher, a Miss M. She was 5'10" tall, (I asked); with long, beautiful blonde hair, and long legs that I can still clearly recall; for mini-skirts were "in", as were long, boots in assorted colors. I could not have cared any less about the guitar at first - but I adored Miss M.
We had written to each other for all these years; and so I learned the worst from her family Monday.

One afternoon, I was early for the lesson, and she was softly dancing, moving gently to a popular Jazz LP with a song called "The Girl from Ipanema" on the record player; she was looking out the windows, and I watched Beauty Incarnate dance and sway to "Garato de Ipanema" - as it was originally titled in Portugese, and I was mesmerized.

Sadly, I learned just yesterday she has passed away; and although I felt as if to cry, I managed to smile - remembering all of those wonderful Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, where she actually did teach me to play the guitar. I will remember her as the Beautiful, new teacher, who was cool, and patient 'til my time comes to go, she will always be in my memories, with that lovely smile and an "accidentally" seductively infectious laugh I can hear to this day. She taught me to play many of "the hits of the day", for she had the look of the Archetypal Flower Child (albeit with a job).

The next year, I was at a very different school, filled with fantastic, old maid teachers - much like you'd hear about (in The Family Tree; "Miss Butters", RCA, 1968). They taught me well, and I learned a great deal. But, as much as I learned at this new school, no other Teacher ever quite held my attention like Miss M. always did. I bought several sealed variant copies of this same LP to always have that music handy, and perhaps to share with others.
It epitomizes my dear Miss M. - "Tall and Tan and Young and Lovely".

R.I.P. Miss M.

Stan Getz/ Astrud Gilberto, et al; (with "The Girl from Ipanema"); LP; late1963 release; by 1965 a No.1 Popular Chart; (Japanese Original release); Special Verve Jazz OBI Label; Gatefold Cover; OBI; Brazilian Tax Stamp; UMV 2099, (S.A.) Import Copy; still sealed. (Shrink-Wrap makes the Image appear Darker). I realize that I used a 1975 Japanese Image Below; (but still with the attributes of the 1963 issue I purchased first) all the way to the Brazilian Tax Stamp of the era. They were so very similar, I erred. It was the ¥2300 that gave it away; the original release was ¥1750! I do have several Japanese copies, making it easy to make a mistake, and I saw no reason to change the image.

I also found and purchased a 1st issue Monophonic copy from the USA, still sealed; early 1963, Verve Jazz Label, V-8545. I will add that Verve pressings are almost always exceptional; the Gatefold Jackets, the inner Sleeves and ofttimes inserts make for a wonderful LP. There is an added "playable on Stereo Record players" Sticker; not seen so much anymore. (spare).

Both have the (original) LP version of "The Girl from..." which has a longer 1st track; w/ an intro sung in Portugese by the writer; in this way, it is very different from the Radio Version single. I'd recognize that bright orange & yellow abstract cover anywhere. The Japanese Jacket is "brighter" than any other, and that YSL Vinyl should sound wonderful. It is interesting just what "important" things one recalls so vividly from so long ago; President Johnson was in office, the Vietnam war was still ramping up, and the best cartoons came on at 3:30pm.
Except T & Th.

Original '63 LP Version - not the Radio Version
(Astrud Gilberto's name does not appear Anywhere
on this release; but after the LP & single
gained such popularity, she made a number of LPs
and singles).
Over the years, I have heard this song, or excerpts of it in Films and so on, but the movie is placed "on hold" while the music plays - or longer, because of the very special memories hearing it unlocks and I enjoy one more time almost as if it were the very first.
Attachments
Stan Getz / Astrud Gilberto; Special Verve Jazz Label; (later 1975 Japanese Release shown); SEALED with Brazilan Tax Stamp (Appears Dark from Plastic)
Stan Getz / Astrud Gilberto; Special Verve Jazz Label; (later 1975 Japanese Release shown); SEALED with Brazilan Tax Stamp (Appears Dark from Plastic)
Stan Getz Astrud Gilberto Verve Label Jazz 1964 Japanese Release SEALED with Brazilan Tax Stamp 500cc.jpg (71.83 KiB) Viewed 22059 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

RSD purchases (after not going home following Heads Manchester gig)
...and pretty sure these are all still available from Piccadilly Records as I type!

Carlton Melton-Aground
Hope Sandoval and Warm Inventors 7"
Liminanas-7"
Mercury Rev 7"
Low 10"
Bardo Pond LP
Lush Box Set
Primal Scream 12"
Eternal Tapestry LP
Cavern of Anti Matter 12"
Six By Seven LP

also Heads at Roadburn LP, 3 more Wooden Wand LP's, Black Mountains new LP, PJ Harveys new one as well
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Primal Scream: Live In Tokyo is a great album and pressing. Worth it!

johnnyboy & TheWarmth. Go for it!

M
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Heads - Burning Up With ( cd and vinyl, no bloody download code)
The Flaming Lips - Lightning Strikes The Postman (RSD cd)
Trad Gras Stenar - S/T Anthology (cd)
Sundays & Cybele - Heaven, (vinyl)
Underworld - Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future,(vinyl)
Primal Scream - Chaosmosis,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Kill West - Smoke Beach
Mugstar - Magnetic Seasons
Mugstar - Lime
Hanging Stars - Over The Silvery Lake
Dead Meadow - Warble Womb
Giobia - Magnifier
Giobia - Introducing Night Sounds
Dead Skeletons - Live In Berlin
Carlton Melton - Aground
Mogwai - Atomic
The Heads - Burning Up With...
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote: Carlton Melton - Aground
what's this. a new album?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote: what's this. a new album?
Its a kind of companion piece to Out To Sea, released just on vinyl for RSD. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Nice, hot trip out to Phoenix and found some outstanding records.
Tony Joe White- S/t LP
" " " - Homemade Ice Cream Lp
Mexican Summer 5 Years w/10" inc Bay Of Pigs track which features Jason, Doggen, Kid Millions & Neil Hagerty.
V/A- Liverpool Psych Fest Pzyk 1 3x LP
Badly Drawn Boy- The Hour Of Bewilderbeast LP. Forgot what a gorgeous record this is.
PJ Harvey- The Hope Six Demolition Project Lp
Mott The Hoople- Mad Shadows LP
" " " - Wildlife LP. Never have I seen such clean copies of these records. Covers especially.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Some here, and Some On Order: Some look familiar.....

Buddy Collette "Jazz Hits"; Crown Records; 1964; sealed. Crown had "iffy" quality pressings; but great music; so I gambled, hoping for a great pressing of Jazz by Collette.
David Bowie "Pin Ups"; 8-Track Stereo Tape; RCA APS1-0291; 1973; sealed; (and will remain that way). Probably.
Mexican Summer "5 Years" (Book); w/ "Bay Of Pigs", 10" Disc; 1000 sets; Jason Pierce, Kid Millions, et al; 2014; sealed.
Underworld "Barbara, Barbara - We are Facing a Shining Future" 2016; UK; sealed.
Primal Scream "Mantra for a New State of Mind" 2016 RSD 12" Single; sealed.
(and a few additional pieces that I am not quite certain of the (Exact) titles and Dates, Labels, etc.; I did like the descriptor of one band as "cryptic").
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue May 24, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

DAVID BOWIE "Feathers" working-name era; UK; BC Label; 7" "Ching a Ling" w/ "Supermen"; c. 1968 material (+); released in 1980; "Crowley-esque" Artwork on Obverse and Reverse of sleeve. Disc was packaged in an innersleeve, and is "as new". Original owner placed a cropped receipt, along w/ the date & "critique" within the sleeve written on onion paper. ROIO.
Attachments
DAVID BOWIE "Feathers Era"; Ching a Ling w/ Supermen ROIO
DAVID BOWIE "Feathers Era"; Ching a Ling w/ Supermen ROIO
DAVID BOWIE Feathers Era Ching a Ling with Supermen 500cc.jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 21782 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed May 18, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Birthday goodies arriving...

Vinyl...
Spiritualized - Fucked Up Inside (reissue)
The Heads - Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere
Camera - Radiate!
Camera - Remember I Was Carbon Dioxide
Carlton Melton/Mugstar - Company/Black Fountain Split 7"
White Hills - Frying On This Rock (pink vinyl)
White Hills - So You Are... So You'll Be (green vinyl)
Brain Donor - My Pagan Ass / Like A Motherfucker 7" (white vinyl)
Brain Donor - Get Off Your Pretty Face 7" (picture disc)
The Heads & Big Naturals / Mugstar / Carlton Melton / Koolaid [Alien Ballroom] - I'm So Convoluted! Split EP
Spacemen 3 - Big City/Drive 7"

CDs...
Green Peppers - Domino Mornings
Brother JT - Off Blue
Cornershop ‎– When I Was Born For The 7th Time
The Doors ‎– Waiting For The Sun
Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People
The Stone Roses - Turns To Stone
The Monkees - S/T
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ryan Adams-Heartbreaker LP boxset
Death and Vanilla 1st album (LP)
White Denim -Stiff LP
Deerhunter new LP
The Heads -Enter Eller LP
White Hills- 1st album re-issue (not arrived yet)
Trad Gras och stenar-CD box set
Cloudland Canyon-Born Blonde 12"
Yo La Tengo-This is Yo La Tengo 12"

also on the Twelve subscription list, so got my third ltd 2 track cd in a matter of weeks.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

It has been a while since I posted to this board in general and this thread in particular. This is what I can remember from the last month or so:

Vinyl
Cosmic Dead Rainbowhead
The Heads: Burning up with..
The Heads: Enten Eller (Limited 'Inner Sleeve' Version)
Talk Talk: The Spirit of Eden
Talk Talk: Colour of Spring
Sula Bassana: Shipwrecked
Space Spectrum: Drone Jams Vol 1
Dave Gahan and Soulsavers; Angels and Ghosts
Soulsavers: Kubrick
Magnolia Electric Co: Trials & Errors
Magnolia Electric Co: What Comes After the Blues
Black Bombaim: Live at Casazul
+Anything released on Great Pop Supplement, Deep Distance, Polytechnic Youth or God Unknown

CDs
Myrrors: Burning Circles In The Sky
The Oscillation: Live at Beursschourwburg Brussels Jan 2014
Fuxa: Commits Suicide
Fuxa Supercharged
The Heads: Burning up with..

Downloads
Black Bombaim have their back catalog on Bandcamp for 6.50 Euros so I had all of that as well.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Talk Talk: The Spirit of Eden
Talk Talk: Colour of Spring
good to see you back on the scene Olan, and that your vinyl buying has not been diminished :)
Spirit of Eden is a sublime piece of work. how does it sound on vinyl (btw I am seriously considering making the move into the vinyl world- I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of you and other 'enablers' around these parts)

I must admit I've never actually investigated Colour of Spring but apparently you can hear the seeds being planted for Spirit of Eden even though it's much more poppy
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Radiohead: For my wife
Cornelius: Fantasma re-issue
Death And Vanilla: re-issue EP
Minor Victories: -----------------
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Traffic - s/t
The Chameleons- Why Call It Anything (with bonus disc of Live at Manchester Academy)
American Music Club- Mercury
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

MODLAB wrote: Minor Victories: -----------------
Is this out yet?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:Traffic - s/t
The Chameleons- Why Call It Anything (with bonus disc of Live at Manchester Academy)
American Music Club- Mercury
I do like a bit of Traffic, some great songs and playing on that album.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Shinesalight wrote: Is this out yet?

Nope — pre-order. Sine the first day... I think it comes out on the 3rd of June.

M
Design.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: I must admit I've never actually investigated Colour of Spring but apparently you can hear the seeds being planted for Spirit of Eden even though it's much more poppy
This is very true. Colour of Spring is much more commercial than Spirit of Eden. However, it is really a bridge from the uptempo synth pop of tunes like 'Talk Talk' to the full blown experimentation of Spirit of Eden. There is a really sparse stripped back nature to the music that I really like and a far greater focus on Mick Hollis as a vocalist. It is very clear that the music was built up from jams, particularly the way the percussion/rhythm tracks are layered. There is also some very novel guitar playing on this LP. At £12 odd delivered from Amazon you can't really go wrong. The LP is a stunner in terms of the quality of the recording and pressing too.

Frustratingly, it comes with a DVD of hi-res audio tracks that I can't figure out how rip to my NAS drive.... :evil:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: I do like a bit of Traffic, some great songs and playing on that album.
not listened to it yet! (you know how it is) will try and check it out tonight, I've heard good things about this band.

olan wrote:
This is very true. Colour of Spring is much more commercial than Spirit of Eden. However, it is really a bridge from the uptempo synth pop of tunes like 'Talk Talk' to the full blown experimentation of Spirit of Eden. There is a really sparse stripped back nature to the music that I really like and a far greater focus on Mick Hollis as a vocalist. It is very clear that the music was built up from jams, particularly the way the percussion/rhythm tracks are layered. There is also some very novel guitar playing on this LP. At £12 odd delivered from Amazon you can't really go wrong. The LP is a stunner in terms of the quality of the recording and pressing too.

Frustratingly, it comes with a DVD of hi-res audio tracks that I can't figure out how rip to my NAS drive.... :evil:
I'll have to check it out. I must admit I've always disregarded it.
maybe get the kids on the case with the NAS? :D
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: I'll have to check it out. I must admit I've always disregarded it. maybe get the kids on the case with the NAS? :D
No thanks. I don't want my NAS destroyed. I'll try to work out how to do it myself.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

fair enough!.. sometimes kids can be scarily good with computers though.. my teenage niece puts me to shame.

I'm sure there are programs out there that will do the job, but I bet they are the sneaky ones that make you pay even when it's a 'trial'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

RE: Talk Talk - always good to see some love for Spirit Of Eden here, assume you've all heard Laughing Stock too? Maybe a bit more abstract, and certainly deep into a Miles Davis thing at points, but I think it's just as good - if not better...
O P 8