Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

The Dr
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich wrote:Yeah, I hear those rumours too that he wants the United job really bad, but mgmt. is hesitant about him and I see why. He is toxic, a horrible person with his arrogance. What is his row with Arsene Wenger about ?

yeah, that sir alex is an arse alright- getting his players to surround referees, getting journalists bared from press conferences, putting pressure of referees, complaining about them publicly later, kicking beckham (inavertantly, maybe) in the head, freezing out players, treating the 4th offical with contempt, refusing to speak to the bbc etc, o wiat, sorry you were talking about jose...my bad

re: lvg- he has a great record which is why he got the job, but maybe now either football has evolved past him or maybe the players aren't as good as he is used to, either way, maybe it is time for him to retire. it's a shame this may blemish his, otherwise, excellent record
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

As loathsome as fergie undoubtledly was, I think mourinhos behaviour in public has been much worse - yes to the extent businesses should steer clear of him. As if the eye-gouging wasn't enough his treatment of carneiro should've been the final proof that his boorishness & nastiness is just not worth whatever positives he supposedly brings.

His style of football too seems at odds with utd's culture. Maybe not the emphasis on winning (at any cost) but his methods of achieving that goal. The fans/commentators have be decrying the boring football but under mourinho they're going to get more of the same, only more defensive. His ultra-pragmatism is more unpalatable than lvg's belief in possession based football. It's this especially that perplexes me about the clamour for his appointment.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

jack white wrote:As loathsome as fergie undoubtledly was, I think mourinhos behaviour in public has been much worse - yes to the extent businesses should steer clear of him. As if the eye-gouging wasn't enough his treatment of carneiro should've been the final proof that his boorishness & nastiness is just not worth whatever positives he supposedly brings.

His style of football too seems at odds with utd's culture. Maybe not the emphasis on winning (at any cost) but his methods of achieving that goal. The fans/commentators have be decrying the boring football but under mourinho they're going to get more of the same, only more defensive. His ultra-pragmatism is more unpalatable than lvg's belief in possession based football. It's this especially that perplexes me about the clamour for his appointment.
I'm not a Mourinho fan, nor a big admirer of the Chelsea model, let alone the John Terry approach to celebrity but I do feel the 'park the bus' thing is a bit overdone. The following is culled from a Guardian article as that is easier than doing my own research :lol: :

that Mourinho preaches a boring, anaemic style of football. This one is trotted out all the time whereas, in reality, in a dozen seasons at Porto, Chelsea, Internazionale and Real Madrid his teams were the leading scorers on seven occasions and figured outside the top two in the goals-for column only once – in 2013‑14, when Liverpool and Manchester City both scored more than 100. In three years in Spain his team twice outscored a Barcelona side routinely described as the most beautifully constructed club team that ever existed. Madrid accumulated 121 goals one year, a record for La Liga, and scored five or more on 11 different occasions that season. Boring?

Chelsea have scored fewer goals than United, a club that wants to be synonymous with attacking, expansive football, in only one of Mourinho’s five full seasons in England. Yes, his teams have reminded us about the qualities of defensive structure, but it is not always the park-the-bus mentality, or anything close, and it was a cheap shot from Arsène Wenger when he walked into a press conference last season to be told that Chelsea had won 1-0 and replied with a roll-of-the-eyes “usual”. It got a laugh but the reality is that Chelsea scored 136 times in Mourinho’s two seasons back at Stamford Bridge. Arsenal managed 131. Chelsea had only two more 1-0 wins than Arsenal (10 against eight) and, as Mourinho once said, it never gets boring winning the league.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... er-united

If anything LvG plays even more rigidly and defensively, with almost nothing approaching risk being taken in the attacking third of the pitch. While, Chelsea have been a bit shit this year, and ground out the last third of last season, they were really good to watch for the first 2/3 of their last title winning effort (I'm writing that through gritted teeth). Chelsea at their most horrible and defensive was their year they won the UCL :cry: . As an Everton supporter, I would like to see some of the defensive strength of an in-form Chelsea being shown by my lot.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yea that risk aversion is the thing. Both managers share that philosophy - which is why it's strange the man Utd community want mourinho so badly - but at least lvg's teams are brave enough to get on the ball & dominate possession, it's the old adage of the opposition can't score if they don't have the ball. Mourinho however is content to let the opposition have the ball & make a mistake before countering, it's a cowardly way to play that mirrors his personality!

Chelsea's style of play at the beginning of last season was the exception that proved the rule ;)
Before (& after then) he always turned his ball players into water carriers. He nearly killed poor Damian duff making him huff & puff up & down the wing instead of just letting him be..

Agree with that di matteo's chelsea were the most awfully, criminally defensive of all the awful, criminal Chelsea's. Was a dark night for football when they triumphed in the champions league final! My mate was in a real bad mood, turned the tv off straight away at the final whistle didn't watch the presentation or celebrations.

Yea Bobby Martinez just doesn't know how to build a defence. His team's can't defend for shit.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

It's finally happened: I'm all footballed out! With last night came a solid week of football on the tv every night. Tonight I've reached my limit.

Going to jump back on the horse with the Mickey Mouse cup tomorrow..

I am recording both tonight's games just incase I change my mind tho..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Deserved win for us yesterday, though extra time was a bit nervy with players looking very tired at times (understandably). Made up for Caballero, you can see how much it meant to him and that the criticism had really got to him. The only thing we can say for sure on that, though, is that most of it was justified. Still, can't fault him yesterday and I had a great feeling when we went to penalties as I've seen him save a fair few in the past for City and Malaga also, always looked good as a stopper but no real awareness with crosses etc...

We made harder work than it should've been, with many good chances passed up, but winning it like that is always a joy after a lot of stressing in extra time.

Need 3 or 4 wins on the bounce in the league now and we'll see how it looks. Unlikely we'll get the chance to win it now this year, but gotta work for it.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Oh Joe hart, wtf?? Loved mr kloops reaction to lallana's goal.

As unromantic & irrational as it is, I would rather any of city/Arsenal & obviously Leicester win the league than Spurs! Hope West Ham beat them tonight after Leicester dropping points against the hateful west brom last night..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Would have been a great opportunity to move up the table as the Gunners and Spurs are losing and the Foxes draw last night. Can't seem to beat Liverpool nor the top clubs ? Crickey - better not lose the fourth place standing ? This Saturday's London Derby between Arsenal and Tottenham should be interesting.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

what a great day :D

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Crazy crazy season..
It's just... crazy!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

All said and done after tonight's matches, the foxes only increased their lead by 1 point ! Yes, this will be interesting.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spacemanrich wrote:All said and done after tonight's matches, the foxes only increased their lead by 1 point ! Yes, this will be interesting.
Yeah, but the fact they increased their lead at all with all their competitors playing last night is quite amazing in itself. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

We haven't won back-to-back games in the league since, that is not even worthy of a top half finish. We need to shape up immediately or risk having a real horrorshow of a situation by the time we play united.

All the best to Leicester, it would be amazing.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

We have been playing boring football and have a lot of injuries and can still get in top 4.It's incredible but it has also been a crazy season.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Kids as a catalyst for a decent run in, cantona
Shoulders back, smash it
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Spurs rising much to the chagrin of jack white.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

It's weird. I like a lot of their players, I like their style, I like their manager, but it's just a club I could never warm to.

Entertaining game there that 2-2. Great goals, plenty of incidents & a good result for Leicester.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Some fans were disgusting at City today, booing off Bony when we were 3-0 up. Hopefully their seats WILL be empty next time.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Can't see us finishing in top 4 now.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Peculiar weekend for daft red cards.

I actually thought Mata's was really harsh. His first yellow I don't think warranted a booking - shouldn't the ref just move the ball 10 yards up the pitch? Or am I getting it confused with Gaelic games? It's also something I've never understood doesn't happen more often - why guys wanting to take a quick free kick don't just take it & kick it off their opponent to get them punished?? There used to be Gaelic footballer did that all the time but it's a tactic I never see these days.
His second yellow was harsh as well, think Mike dean could've managed the situation a bit. Oh well. No real sympathy for the devil ;)

The mirallas one on any other weekend would've taken the cake as stupidest red card but that honour definitely goes to coquelin. He proved the reason why he was never considered top class until he hit a bit of form last season. Idiotic is putting it mildly. If I were an arsenal fan I'd never forgive him.
Mirallas obviously is one of the most selfish & self absorbed footballers in the league, which is an achievement in itself. The sooner Everton get shot of him the better for the club.

Fun weekend tho. Good auld beans as the saying goes..
Shame next weekend is FA Cup. I want to see the next installment of the league soap opera & the next chapter of the Leicester fairytale! Best show on tv at the minute..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:Peculiar weekend for daft red cards.

one of the worst ref decisions i have ever seen was wes morgan blocking the ball with his face and having a penalty given for handball

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not sure anyone can complain about the decision to send Mata off. Both are yellow cards every single time in any game, he was idiotic! Regardless of whether you think they should be, they always are and there is no other way to look at it. He was dumb.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Nah bit harsh. Not everything has to be a yellow card.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Can't agree there, he went out of his way to block that free kick (not like when the players taking it do it deliberately at the opposition close by), and the second was a ridiculous challenge. Neither really dangerous obviously, but both yellow cards all day long.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

seems we can win without getting out of first gear. nice to see rafa back but glad he lost :P

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Enjoy the title party! Hope it goes to the last day. As impressive as it is you winning it (I think you will anyway), I wish everyone got to feel that last day dread turned to bliss.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:Enjoy the title party! Hope it goes to the last day. As impressive as it is you winning it (I think you will anyway), I wish everyone got to feel that last day dread turned to bliss.

i hope the last day we are saying 'gosh we won it three games ago'- no aguero moments for me thanks! i've already had them with super stevie clariages shins :lol: :roll:

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

5 mins in...kompany loves misery it seems. sad :(

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Wow, that Juve v.Bayern Munich looked like a good match with them levelling the score in extra time !
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

3 more points, come on bournmouth!

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I want to believe.

But I'm afraid incase I put the scud on them. Almost wish the season was over. Dunno how they can bear the tension - I feel it for them. Please don't blow it. Please..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:I want to believe.

But I'm afraid incase I put the scud on them. Almost wish the season was over. Dunno how they can bear the tension - I feel it for them. Please don't blow it. Please..

try being a fan! i think the players are the only ones not feeling the strain! it's just fun!

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spzretent wrote:You certainly couldn't see the tension getting to them today. In fact they have been the most consistent team all season. Every facet of their game is great. Goaltending, defense, midfield and forwards.
You say this & I know it's true, & I know they're a superb team & would be worthy champions (the most worthy of any recent team).. But.. I just can't believe it. It's unbelievable! :lol: Even that they're in the top 4 is frankly still stupefying & ridiculous!

It's almost like it's one of those things that are too good to be true.. It's unbelievable!

I mean, bar Leeds in 92, all during my lifetime the champions have been the big spenders. It's just such an accepted way of life in the top divisions that I can't actually compute the fuckin reality of this situation. I can't get my head around it. But what a season. Every Saturday Leicester have provided an utterly amazing feeling - & I'm a neutral, in fact before the tinkerman's arrival I would've been somewhat anti-Leicester, but they've won a place in this cynics heart no matter what happens. They've broke the mould.
It's unbelievable.

Also I'm glad the wheels didn't come off vs crystal palace. What a horrible team they are.
Also, again, nice to see Everton still can't defend for shit.. Martinez is a clown.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Once a cynic always a cynic but why not? They are winning tough games 1-0. I have always thought confidence builds with every win. And it comes from everywhere.They are way beyond that. It will be interesting to see what happens as the title gets closer.
They were have supposed to have wilted during that "tough stretch" they had after Christmas. Didn't happen.
If the Kansas City Royals(much like Leicester) can win the World Series why not Leicester City winning the Premier League?
It would be a great story.
Plus Leicester have the best dressed coach in the Premier League.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spzretent wrote:You certainly couldn't see the tension getting to them today. In fact they have been the most consistent team all season. Every facet of their game is great. Goaltending, defense, midfield and forwards.
not according to the experts and manager. kasper was asked about the ball hitting the bar and he said 'well, i already knew it wasn't going in so i wasn't worried' and i don't think that he was bluffing. the players are playing as they are becasue it is fun. football is fun!

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Liverpool. Again. :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

DeMichaelis needs to be jettisoned back to Argentina ! Poor defense.

The Spurs up 2-0 only 20 minutes into the match - tight race.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Shocking. We had the chances they had the goal. Should've been 2 down at half time though. Awful. Terrible.

Just because I grew up watching the 2nd and 3rd divisions half the time doesn't mean I can't say this is the most disappointing season I've experienced. The main issue is that we are so much better than this. Or are we? We will be. One day.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:Shocking. We had the chances they had the goal. Should've been 2 down at half time though. Awful. Terrible.

Just because I grew up watching the 2nd and 3rd divisions half the time doesn't mean I can't say this is the most disappointing season I've experienced. The main issue is that we are so much better than this. Or are we? We will be. One day.

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

James, I hate to say I told you so.. But I told you so :p

Seriously tho city's lack of ball players is the defining feature for me. They've great players in critical moments - aguero, silva, kdb, yaya & potentially sterling. But further back & in the squad they've nothing. They've nobody to play from the back, to build for the back - no ball playing centre half & two lumbering destroyers who are criminally easy to bypass in fernando/inho.

With the arrival of gundogan they've already started to address the lack of ball playing in the middle of the park & is a real step forward & statement of intent.
City'll be able to attract better players now, even if they're not in the champions league. It should be smooth sailing from here on out in terms of recruitment.

It just is peculiar such a massive & expensive squad is so devoid of any real skill or talent as footballers!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You're certainly miles off the mark in regards to Fernandinho!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

so england beat a bored germany and are beating a rubbish looking dutch team- (germany incidently are beating italy)- so, what do you think? euro champions?

northern ireland have won ten in a row- can they go far?

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

As much as i'm enjoying Leicester's relentless march to the title I must admit that the closer they get the more i'm experiencing pangs of jealousy and regret as I think back to Liverpool's two missed opportunities in the past decade :?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

almost there. i'm exhausted

re liverpool:

League

First Division: 18
1900–01, 1905–06, 1921–22, 1922–23, 1946–47, 1963–64, 1965–66, 1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90
Second Division: 4
1893–94, 1895–96, 1904–05, 1961–62
Lancashire League: 1
1892–93

Cups

FA Cup: 7
1964–65, 1973–74, 1985–86, 1988–89, 1991–92, 2000–01, 2005–06
League Cup: 8
1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1994–95, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12
FA Charity / Community Shield: 15
1964*, 1965*, 1966, 1974*, 1976, 1977*, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986*, 1988, 1989, 1990*, 2001, 2006 (* shared)
Super Cup: 1
1985–86

European

European Cup / UEFA Champions League: 5
1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1983–84, 2004–05
UEFA Cup: 3
1972–73, 1975–76, 2000–01
European Super Cup / UEFA Super Cup: 3
1977, 2001, 2005

Doubles and trebles

Doubles:[note 1]
League and FA Cup: 1
1985–86
League and League Cup: 2
1981–82, 1982–83
European Double (League and European Cup): 2
1976–77
League and UEFA Cup: 2
1972–73, 1975–76
League Cup and European Cup: 1
1980–81
Trebles[note 1]
League, League Cup and European Cup: 1
1983–84
FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup: 1
2000–01

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

To me it looks like Spurs might have a slightly easier run in. None of the teams they face have anything left to play for. The same could be said of Leicester's opposition, however they face two in-form teams in West Ham & Swansea, before what would normally be games against big sides Man U/Everton//Chelsea..

Spurs play Stoke, west brom, Chelsea,s'hampton & Newcastle.

Everton look lucky season ending soon. They're seemingly in free fall tho enough points on the board to avoid relegation scramble.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Congrats to City last night, seeing off PSG, job well done in the end. :)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Great performance and at last they seem to take the CL seriously enough for the fans to work up some enthusiasm. I'm delighted, I think once you get to the semis of any tournament anything can really happen in those games. I don't care who we draw now, I feel like with the occasion and the right selection, anyone can get to the final including us.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:Great performance and at last they seem to take the CL seriously enough for the fans to work up some enthusiasm. I'm delighted, I think once you get to the semis of any tournament anything can really happen in those games. I don't care who we draw now, I feel like with the occasion and the right selection, anyone can get to the final including us.

i was listening to 5 live and after the game there was a theme to the calls from fans- we won because yaya wasn't playing

what are your thoughts?

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Probably best to let James answer that one, but for me he`s just to slow, and City do look like they have a better balance about the team without him, but I wouldn`t put it as black and white as City won because he wasn`t playing, many other factors at play.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Didn't want him to start but wanted him on a little sooner towards the end of the game. Tactics were pretty much spot on for the game, I don't write off Toure though. Even when people think he plays bad, he keeps it ticking over. We're generally a worse side when he doesn't play, even now.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Thought city were scarily impressive vs psg, & prob on show today again. Yea, scary! Like a glimpse of the potential that could be unleashed if they were capable of putting those performances in consistently.

Psg were terrible make no mistake, lacked balance all over the park. City tho were composed & lethal. You can only beat what's in front of you & in fairness City did so with relative comfort.

I do still think they're in a position to dominate & domestically this season has to go down as a write-off so chalk this one up to experience. The future's bright if you're in city colours. The squad does need addressing badly in certain places - the whole backline & subs could be binned for a start! But in comparison to their immediate rivals, city seem in better nick all of a sudden.
That kdb is some pup.

& it's entirely possible their name is on the champions league trophy..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:
& it's entirely possible their name is on the champions league trophy..

really? could they beat a.madrid and bayern? a city bayern final would be fun :D :wink: 8)

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Anyone can beat anyone. If anything, City were the most convincing of all 4 semi-finalists in the last round. Still, we're nowhere near as good over the course of season, but that all goes out the window at this stage.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

:?:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

jack white wrote:
:?:
Clearly, that's not at all suspcious!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Don't fret The Dr., the Foxes are still in the driver's seat. Uh ... Jamie Vardy will be suspended until May 1st ( 2 matches ) will they be able to hold off the Spurs who throttled the Potters tonight ? Only 5 points with what 3-4 matches left ? :?
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I can see Spurs winning all their remaining matches. I dunno if Leicester will win any of theirs..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

this is no longer fun. however the west ham game was against a team in form and a terrible ref and yet we salvaged a draw

i was in tears before ulloa scored, still, only 8 points needed...

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Dr wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Keep calm and carry on. I'll also add : stay humble.

From what I read it was a definite flop by Vardy in the box and he just lost his cool.

A couple of weeks ago, Ladbrokes were asking punters who wagered on the 5000:1 odds to turn in their tix early for 40,000 pounds instead of waiting until the end of the season. At first, I thought it was silly, but now I'd probably do that too !

JackWhite I haven't looked at the remaining fixtures for both clubs, but I'd take your word that the Spurs might have the better path now since Vardy will be absent for at least 1 and/or 2 matches.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich wrote:
Keep calm and carry on. I'll also add : stay humble.

i apologise for being excited about the possibility of history being made. i'll try to be 'more american' 'hey, check out that play the leicester foxes punted the ball up and vardy put the ball past the keeper into the net, yeah it is going well for them, now let's go and watch american sports- high scoring, low enterainment, and check out those mascots in the 9th man, they...can...run!"

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Dr., no I was just having a bit of a tease with you. Great match yesterday, I only caught the first half or so. I wasn't sure how the Foxes were going to respond and that was a great move inserting Ulloa into the forward position. We'll see how Tottenham play tonight.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

And now I love Tony Pulis & West Brom.
I actually finally believe now.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich wrote:The Dr., no I was just having a bit of a tease with you. Great match yesterday, I only caught the first half or so. I wasn't sure how the Foxes were going to respond and that was a great move inserting Ulloa into the forward position. We'll see how Tottenham play tonight.

yes, me too! :wink: play ball!

nice to see west brom snatch a point :wink: 8)

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:And now I love Tony Pulis & West Brom.
I actually finally believe now.

i'm still three points or a spurs draw away from believing it- the legacy of growing up watching leicester and england

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Will hopefully be an incredible day for football tomorrow with Leicester securing the title. Unbelievable! I hate Vardy but other than that I couldn't be more happy for them, especially the manager and of course the fans. GOOD LUCK DR!