Premier League / Football / Etc...

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

The Dr
Known user

Re: Premier League / Football / Etc...

Post by The Dr »

thank you! yoiu can't beleive the stress! i'm in the library but i'll be keeping an eye on things- i think seeing/listening will be torterious. before ulloa scored the penalty against west ham i was in tears!

come on! one more win needed! and if not, come on chelsea!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:! I hate Vardy!

simpson is a thug too- beat up his girlfriend and went to court last summer- before the end of the season

man this is tense!

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Dr., momentarily hit pause on that celebration. The Red Devils have other ideas ...

The Spurs will take it to Chelsea tomorrow night. What a tight race !
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spurs must win every game now. i'm a chelsea fan for the next few hours!

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Congratulations to Leicester....what an amazing achievement. :D

Enjoy the moment Dr
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

FUCK YEAH!

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ha ha! Best Premier League season of all time.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

leicester's first team cost 22 million pounds. eden hazard cost 32 million pounds!

i'm so exhausted! i need to sleep but am too exhausted!

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The Dr wrote:leicester's first team cost 22 million pounds. eden hazard cost 32 million pounds!

i'm so exhausted! i need to sleep but am too exhausted!
Dont sleep. Go celebrate. Soak this up.
Hazard was worth every penny for you Leicester City fans.
His goal that sealed your title was a beauty!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So happy for you! Not even sunk in for me, so can't imagine how you're feeling. Unbelievable. Anything can happen, but it usually won't. Such a joy to see, I was a bit teary in all honesty. Give me hope for the Champions League. How about that for a double? Wouldn't have been a bad bet... ha! Football belongs to Leicester for the foreseeable future.

The only problem is that Kasabian will be having a party and probably writing the worst song in history to celebrate, no one needs that.

Again. CONGRATS!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

From Egon Ronay in the Guardian:

"The website Sporting Intelligence has calculated Manchester United have spent more on new players in the two-year reign of their current manager than the new champions have in their entire 132-year existence."

Even two weeks ago, I still had doubts. Now they've gone and done it. Marvellous, marvellous stuff. Congrats to you, the Dr!

(and it makes up for fecking Selby winning the snooker. BOOOORING :wink: )
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

mc wrote:
(and it makes up for fecking Selby winning the snooker. BOOOORING :wink: )

i'd agree with you but he is a leicester fan and last time he won leicester won the championship (2 years ago) so i'd like him to win a few more :lol: :P

i still doubted it until the final whistle yesterday- and the last game of the season- at standford bridge! it's gonna be one heck of a party!

it still hasn't sunk in

i called my friend in leicester yesterday after the game and texted him this morning 'you know that feeling when you wake up and you're the premier league champions'

he replied

yes i do!

still not sunk in, still teary, still the dumbest grin on my face

ranieri was going to miss the game as he went to italy to have lunch with his mama but the owners (who were at the bridge yesterday) lent him their private (or one of) plane

o yes!

anyway, need to focus now!

so happy!

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The above post represents all that is good about football. Sometimes it's hard to remember why we love this game so much but a post like that gives us the jolt we need.

Congrats Dr. and all your fellow foxes :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Congratulations - what a wonderful season ! Only (4) clubs has won the PL in the last 20 years and they were from London and/or Manchester : United, City, Arsenal and Chelsea. I like that bit of info from mc how United spent all that money and not even a Champions League placing. Fantastic. I'm going to put 20 quid on Burnley next season.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

"Last night, Ladbrokes opened Leicester City as 33 to 1 to repeat as Premier League champs. Betting on Foxes has pushed odds to 25 to 1."

Crickey. The season's not even over yet and they already have the odds for the Foxes for next year !
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Too good to be true. I only gave City a sliver a chance of slipping by Real : Ronaldo back in the lineup and they say the Bernabeu is a fortress.

Oh well ... an all Madrid Final. I'll take Diego Simeone's team (Athletico Madrid).
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The worry I have w/this Leicester thing is, things will never be this good again.
Unless they win the champions league next season.

Thought city, typically, went missing when it mattered most. Didn't do themselves justice last night & surrendered meekly. Disappointing game. It's all well & good being proud of getting to them semi of the cup but they had a chance that they never looked like grasping. Poor kompany tho, guy's busted unfortunately.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:The worry I have w/this Leicester thing is, things will never be this good again.
Unless they win the champions league next season.

Thought city, typically, went missing when it mattered most. Didn't do themselves justice last night & surrendered meekly. Disappointing game. It's all well & good being proud of getting to them semi of the cup but they had a chance that they never looked like grasping. Poor kompany tho, guy's busted unfortunately.

yeah probably not but that is what people said during the o'neil era when we got tenth and the cocacola/worthington cups, plus a loss in the final to...spurs! bet they'd trade it now eh? :wink:

good luck to spurs for next season, a good young team and if leicester aren't winning it next year (ranieri is aiming for tenth- i'd take that) then i'd quite like to see spurs do it

as far as man city go, for some reason i have little interest in anything else that happens this season. dunno why :wink:

i listened to the game with unoffical commentary on radio leciester so tuesday i listened to 5 lives coverage and then yesterday watched match of the day. it still hasn't sunk in.

i was walking on the beach, alone, tues night listening to the star wars soundtrack under the great big sky before the sea and felt amazing. it still hasn't sunk in! :D

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Certainly a magical season for Leicester - no one would have ever dreamed of this at the beginning of the season. No offense to TheDr., but the Foxes won't replicate this next season. I'd expect them to be mid-table or so. Vardy/Mahrez probably won't be able to replicate their performances. I'd certainly wouldn't put 20 quid on the Foxes on winning it again ...

It'd be interesting to see how the other clubs do next season i.e.- City, Chelsea, Liverpool and even United. All will have new managers, except Klopp (mid-season) and I hope they keep LvG ? 8)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Played very well but the result and story of the match is the same as the season, too inconsistent and falling short when it matters.

Very sad to see the lack of appreciation for Manuel at the end despite my reservations about the guy, next to no one left in the ground for the lap of honour and leaving speech and I've not seen that before even in the dark days. That said, I had to get off early, but doubt everyone else was the same!

Thanks for the good times Manuel, but you made some really strange decisions this season culminating in a bizarre decision to throw the Southampton game in favour of a Champions League tie where we played for a draw. (I don't think we played a bad semi-final though).
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote: Thanks for the good times Manuel, but you made some really strange decisions this season culminating in a bizarre decision to throw the Southampton game in favour of a Champions League tie where we played for a draw. (I don't think we played a bad semi-final though).
with regards to this, if you were told constantly how you were not the first choice, and then mid-season you were publically told that you had already been replaced, would you a) try to win the champions league or b) try to finish fourth for a club that have made it clear that they don't want you, and never really did, and for fans who can't even be arsed to hang around a the end of the season for five minutes for the players to thank for their support?

i don't know who annouced that pep was coming but whoever it was should be ashmaed. if it was pep then i hope that he does not reap any benefits from it (personally), plus his so called mighty bayern team won the league with a game to spare, whereas my little team won the leaugue not even playing with two games to spare :wink: :lol:

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well Pellegrini told the press and the players himself, and "apparently" he wanted to get rid of the rumours. He knew all along, it was no surprise to anyone, least of all him. Also, we were not great last year, worse this year. He got out in good fashion, otherwise he would've been sacked for this season we all know that.

What happened is very unusual to me, as I've seen managers who are fairly awful get incredible support when leaving this club. That said, he was a hard guy to get behind as he rarely seemed that bothered himself. I feel sorry for him for the lack of appreciation, but I can see both sides.

There are a lot of morons at games nowadays, but even the people I have been sat around for years and years disappeared. It was all quite odd. I think it is a dig at the team more than him, but unfortunately he got the shit.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:Well Pellegrini told the press and the players himself, and "apparently" he wanted to get rid of the rumours. He knew all along, it was no surprise to anyone, least of all him. Also, we were not great last year, worse this year. He got out in good fashion, otherwise he would've been sacked for this season we all know that.

What happened is very unusual to me, as I've seen managers who are fairly awful get incredible support when leaving this club. That said, he was a hard guy to get behind as he rarely seemed that bothered himself. I feel sorry for him for the lack of appreciation, but I can see both sides.

There are a lot of morons at games nowadays, but even the people I have been sat around for years and years disappeared. It was all quite odd. I think it is a dig at the team more than him, but unfortunately he got the shit.

i'll take your word as you know far more than i do! i only hear the bbc reports/comments!

what are your expectations for next season?

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Martinez out and a plethora of Dutch defenders in the frame to take over. It'll be nice if we can actually defend next season....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Refreshing to see a club release a manager with a bit of class eh?
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Manchester United have kept their counsel for 6 months on LVG/Mourinho. The way the news has broken has nothing to do with them.It was Mendes who leaked the story.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

8)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

van gal sacked?!?! i never saw that coming...what a shock...what a surprise...do you think they have someone lined up to replace him?

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I liked Van Gaal. All he needed was a little more time and money .... maybe perhaps another 180 million quid/season.

Let's see what Morono can do ... :shock:
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I haven't spoken to a single United fan who wants mourinho, they've been calling for attractive football for 2 years and they get him? He will win things, probably, but the attractive football and long term planning is probably out of the window for the next few years.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:I haven't spoken to a single United fan who wants mourinho, they've been calling for attractive football for 2 years and they get him? He will win things, probably, but the attractive football and long term planning is probably out of the window for the next few years.
hmmm we won the champions league but we played defensively! we demand to win it by playing like 74 holland... what is it with utd and real madrid fans? simply for this reason i hope neither win another trophy. it is as though they feel that they have some right to win them. not everyone can be like barcelona or bayern (or maybe man city next season). arsenal play beautiful football and in a season where the big boys were not at their best they managed to sneak second place ten points behind the league champions (remind me who they were again). did holland win that year? it is rare when the two are in simpactico. many football fans of big clubs are spoilt

BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

£4m to stop him talking to anybody else, not sure that's entirely ethical! He really has got them eating out of the palm of his hand, this from a manager whose recent track record with his last club got him the sack :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

delph misses one warm up game, hodgeson says he can't go as he is too unfit. wiltshire misses one season and hodgeson says he has every chance of going (and probably will)

o breaking news. seems united have appointed jose- talk about a left field appointment. i didn't see that one coming!

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

And so the lunacy begins....£34 milllion for Sadio Mane :shock: :roll:

Good to see Klopp keeping up the recent Liverpool tradition of spending stupid money on someone who has a half decent game against us :oops: :cry:

It'll all end in tears. And they will not be of joy.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I saw that this morning. How good is he and for what price ? I know that he had a good season with Southampton ? A couple of weeks ago, I heard the rumor that ManU was interested in Zlatan Ibramovich. He'll turn 36 in October and was a no show in this year's Euro's. I hope they get him. Nothing worse than paying an aging player gobs of money. :lol:

I
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The club season has started already :cry:

Minnows like Celtic in the qualifying rounds for Europe + the Scottish domestic cup kicking off.

I love my football but even I am starting to feel exhausted. Exhausted more by the sheer volume of rubbish football. I need a break from it. & this English season is just going to be even more head melting than ever, like a run away circus. With the clowns in charge,
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Confirmed, Ibramobitch heading to United :

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2886658/zla ... nited-move :P
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:The club season has started already :cry:

Minnows like Celtic in the qualifying rounds for Europe + the Scottish domestic cup kicking off.

I love my football but even I am starting to feel exhausted. Exhausted more by the sheer volume of rubbish football. I need a break from it. & this English season is just going to be even more head melting than ever, like a run away circus. With the clowns in charge,
i'm still exhausted from the chelsea-spurs game when we won the league. the euros have done next to nothing for me, though england did make me giggle

forget the winter break, we need a summer break :P :lol:

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich wrote:Confirmed, Ibramobitch heading to United :

http://www.espnfc.com/story/2886658/zla ... nited-move :P
he's a very good player (and a massive prick), though like jack i think i'll be too exhausted to follow him at united- as always i'll stick to my leicester and try to ignore the rest :P one of the best things of last season was that i barely had to look further down the table than the top

champions league football! number one seed!

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:The club season has started already :cry:

are they some small irish team?

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

they changed the rules!
These are a few of the innovations contained in rewritten laws of the game, overhauled by football’s rule-makers in an attempt to remove inconsistencies and make them more user-friendly.

A 22,000-word document has been halved to 12,000 words over the last 18 months. The new laws were approved by the International Football Association Board in London this week, will be ratified at the body’s March meeting and will be in force for the European Championships starting in June.

David Elleray, who formulated the comprehensive revision of the laws, hopes rules will no longer be open to as much interpretation. “We are trying to help situations which tend to occur very often and are a bit crazy,” said Elleray, a former Premier League referee.

“We have tried to use much clearer language. We tried to avoid a lot of unnecessary repetition and we tried to make it up-to-date. Because the laws have evolved piecemeal and no one has done a comprehensive review there have been inconsistencies.”

Here is how the biggest revamp of the rules of football in 135 years could look, largely through Elleray’s explanations:
Kick-off

The current law says the ball must go forward at kick-off and players have to be in their own half. The rule is being changed to allow the ball to go in any direction at kick-off as long as it moves.
Pre-match red cards

Citing a row in the tunnel between Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane before an Arsenal-Manchester United match in 2005, Elleray highlighted how they could not have been sent off in the event of a full-scale fight. The laws were written at a time before it was customary for teams to line up next to each other in the tunnel before kick-off.

In future referees will be able to punish red-card offences any time after the pre-match inspection.

Elleray: “[Fighting players] would be banned from playing the match but both teams would still start with 11 because they would be able to use one of the named substitutes. They would lose a substitute.”
Leaving the field after treatment

Elleray: “If a player is injured from a challenge which is punished by a red or yellow card, he can have quick treatment on the field of play and does not have to leave. It always seemed unfair that the victim team was down to 10 men and the guilty team has 11 against 10.”
Quick return

Elleray: “If a player goes off to change his boots, at the moment he has to wait until the game is stopped and the referee has to go and check his boots before he can play again. Now we are saying his boots or whatever can be checked by the fourth official, the assistant referee even, and [the player can] come back during play.”
Grabbing opponents

Elleray: “Two players go off the field of play. One tries to get back on to play the ball and the other one grabs him off the field of play to stop him going back on. At the moment the referee gives a red or yellow card and restarts with a drop ball, which is clearly wrong. So we will be giving a free-kick on the touchline or the goal-line. If it is inside the penalty area, it can be a penalty kick.”
Blocking goals

Elleray: “If a [non-playing] substitute at the moment comes on and dives and stops the goal, it is an indirect free-kick.” And then there is the unlikely but not unforeseen situation in which a team physician comes on to the field during play. “If the doctor does it, it is a drop ball, which again is wrong for football. Their team benefits from breaking the law. So they will become direct free-kicks or penalty kicks.”
Penalty shootouts

Elleray: “If a player gets sent off during kicks from the penalty mark, the other team does not also go down to 10. So if it goes all the way through, the guilty team’s best player takes a second kick against the innocent team’s worst player.”

In future both teams will be reduced to the same number of penalty-takers.

Elleray: “We are trying to make sure the laws are fair and support the team that has been offended against and do not reward people for breaking the laws of the game.”
Offside inconsistency

Elleray: “Part of the law book says when players commit an offside offence you give a free-kick where the offence occurred. The other part of the law book says you give a free-kick where the player was when he was in the offside position. So a player can actually move 20 yards from being in an offside position … and it is only the moment he plays the ball that he is penalised. The law tells you to give the free-kick in two different places.

“So, in future, the free-kick will always be given where he commits the offside offence, even if he is in his own half, because you cannot be in an offside position in your own half, but you can go back into your own half to commit an offside offence.”
Logo loophole

Club logos will be allowed on corner flags. Elleray: “It happens in the Premier League but is actually against the laws of the game.”
Common sense

Elleray: “We are encouraging referees to referee according to the spirit of the game and to use common sense. ... If you can play the game and there is a minor breach of the law, report it to the authorities and sort it out afterwards. Do not be too black and white in minor areas.”

That means, for example, in the grass-roots game, not abandoning a match if one of the four corner flags is broken.

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

spacemanrich wrote:I saw that this morning. How good is he and for what price ? I know that he had a good season with Southampton ? A couple of weeks ago, I heard the rumor that ManU was interested in Zlatan Ibramovich. He'll turn 36 in October and was a no show in this year's Euro's. I hope they get him. Nothing worse than paying an aging player gobs of money. :lol:

I
35 in October after finishing last season scoring 52 in 56 with 16 assists
His salary alone is one third of the price liverpool have paid to purchase Mane

lol
Shoulders back, smash it
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

James T wrote:I haven't spoken to a single United fan who wants mourinho, they've been calling for attractive football for 2 years and they get him? He will win things, probably, but the attractive football and long term planning is probably out of the window for the next few years.
Many (possibly all) football fans are fickle - Did you follow up your initial question with "if not mourinho, then who?" As I struggled finding an answer. Also the idea that mourinho plays unattractive football likely grows from the few occasions where he has "parked the bus". His teams have always scored goals...lots of goals. Similarly with youth he nurtured (perhaps not via his club academy) Varane, Terry, Zouma

I think the short term planning is prevalent now - get back competing.

I've been impressed with 3 signings so far...they haven't gone for marquee perhaps with exception of Zlatan (who I think will do a job) but more they have gone for players who have appetite (Zlatan included) and are on the up. All three coming off there best seasons yet.

I'm relatively satisfied...but no ball has been kicked yet
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
Many (possibly all) football fans are fickle - Did you follow up your initial question with "if not mourinho, then who?" As I struggled finding an answer. Also the idea that mourinho plays unattractive football likely grows from the few occasions where he has "parked the bus". His teams have always scored goals...lots of goals.

his real team outscored the beautiful attacking football of barcelona...boring boring jose :wink:

i think he is the best manager currently out there. i think it is more a case of people not liking his personality. do people really want giggs? why not gary neville? he did great with valencia and england :wink:

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

The Dr wrote:
his real team outscored the beautiful attacking football of barcelona...boring boring jose :wink:

i think he is the best manager currently out there. i think it is more a case of people not liking his personality. do people really want giggs? why not gary neville? he did great with valencia and england :wink:

I think he's an excellent tactician and understands what he needs to do to win but as James said it has been on a relatively short cycle...or is it...perhaps we've been spoiled by the 27yrs of Fergie...which is unlikely to be repeated anytime anywhere.

As for Giggs and Neville they have a long road ahead of them like the other 28 players who played under Fergie who are/have tried there hand at management...At a push Hughes and I'd have settled for Blanc if he'd been available at the time of Mourinho appointment...
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
I think he's an excellent tactician and understands what he needs to do to win but as James said it has been on a relatively short cycle...or is it...perhaps we've been spoiled by the 27yrs of Fergie...which is unlikely to be repeated anytime anywhere.
i was listening to a bbc programme talking about the 'third season syndrome' and he has had very few, two i think. with porto he left before the third season having won the champions league, with inter he left before the third season having won the treble, with real he had a third season which ended badly but not for footballing reasons- many managers struggle for one season there- how long did toshak last? days wasn;t it? with chelsea he was a damaged manager from the real 'events' but still did very well until the third season when he and his players were pretty useless (i'm still amaused that it was ranerei that got him the sack) so maybe if he is put in place to build for the long term he can do better? plus at each club he has been fighting for 4 trophies (at least) each season- maybe without the champions league he can start putting building blocks in place? when he was first at chelsea i found him very funny now he is just tiresome but there is no doubting his quality.

blanc is a good shout- simeone would be excellent, pep was who they really wanted but he has never been tested with a squad as poor (realatively) as uniteds (city's id far better) so who knows if he would have been any good. if you could have any manager who would it be?

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

The Dr wrote:
i was listening to a bbc programme talking about the 'third season syndrome' and he has had very few, two i think. with porto he left before the third season having won the champions league, with inter he left before the third season having won the treble, with real he had a third season which ended badly but not for footballing reasons- many managers struggle for one season there- how long did toshak last? days wasn;t it? with chelsea he was a damaged manager from the real 'events' but still did very well until the third season when he and his players were pretty useless (i'm still amaused that it was ranerei that got him the sack) so maybe if he is put in place to build for the long term he can do better? plus at each club he has been fighting for 4 trophies (at least) each season- maybe without the champions league he can start putting building blocks in place? when he was first at chelsea i found him very funny now he is just tiresome but there is no doubting his quality.

blanc is a good shout- simeone would be excellent, pep was who they really wanted but he has never been tested with a squad as poor (realatively) as uniteds (city's id far better) so who knows if he would have been any good. if you could have any manager who would it be?
He obviously had his own MO and profile to maintain/achieve perhaps there was a trading up aspect to relatively short tenures.

Returning to the earlier post and in answer to your question there was one coach who is like more by his football philosophy and that is Bielsa with the other being Sampoali
Neither of which woul ever have been considered and less likely to be successful

I urge caution on Pep though...it could be considered he has a bigger job to do in a riskier environment
I feel there is more test for him than Jose
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
Returning to the earlier post and in answer to your question there was one coach who is like more by his football philosophy and that is Bielsa

i like him too, he's just joined lazio, but do you think he would be suited to the premiership?

Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

The Dr wrote:

i like him too, he's just joined lazio, but do you think he would be suited to the premiership?
He's hard work!
He likely be best suited to Arsenal or at a push Chelsea.
His best has come when working with players who have a maturity, can execute his physically demanding tactics and who are technically proficient
The more I consider; the more I think Arsenal may push on with him at the helm. He adds a certain directness that Arsenal are geared up for but rarely fulfill.
Chelsea have recently appointed someone very similar.
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:

He's hard work!
He likely be best suited to Arsenal or at a push Chelsea.
His best has come when working with players who have a maturity, can execute his physically demanding tactics and who are technically proficient
The more I consider; the more I think Arsenal may push on with him at the helm. He adds a certain directness that Arsenal are geared up for but rarely fulfill.
Chelsea have recently appointed someone very similar.
i meant more in the sense of style. the one thing that seems to be in common for championship winning teams (chelsea, united, city, arsenal, leicester!) is a good defence. the arsenal invincibles were built on adams, seaman etc, united had kasper's father etc. i always thought bielsa would be 'too exciting' for the premiership

excited by conte, seems that spain has the best players but the premiership the best managers- pep, jose, wenger, ranieri, conte, klopp- all also have big personalities. going to be an interesting season in that regard

as far as mane etc, is 30 million the new 10? leicester bid 30 million for deeney whereas last season ten would have been a fair bid. seems the influx of money won't change very much

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Resigned after 2 days.
Should never have hooked up with such a horrible club to begin with.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

jack white wrote:Resigned after 2 days.
Should never have hooked up with such a horrible club to begin with.
...uncompromising

He did this before too...
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
...uncompromising

He did this before too...

maybe, but what happened? did they promise him things to get him in the door? the old bait and switch. seems odd

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

turns out he signed the contract on the condition they would sign four certain players but then found out they had not even approached them and when they tried to blame him for it he revealed the terms to the media. fair play to him

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

The Dr wrote:turns out he signed the contract on the condition they would sign four certain players but then found out they had not even approached them and when they tried to blame him for it he revealed the terms to the media. fair play to him
and his brother used to be the foreign minister for argentina

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nice gesture : all Leicester City players receive a brand new BMW i8 ( all electric ) car from the owner for winning the EPL.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/prem ... qncke.html
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Interested in all your opinions on Pogba. Good signing or would they be better off strengthening 2/3 positions with that money first given their recent under performance? For me he is more of a final piece in the jigsaw type of player, so I'm intrigued to see how he will do it in a team which eh might need to carry a bit at times. Still good players there, but not the standard he's been at recently.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

James T wrote:Interested in all your opinions on Pogba. Good signing or would they be better off strengthening 2/3 positions with that money first given their recent under performance? For me he is more of a final piece in the jigsaw type of player, so I'm intrigued to see how he will do it in a team which eh might need to carry a bit at times. Still good players there, but not the standard he's been at recently.
well, he costs more than bale, ronaldo, zidane (with inflation) etc and i doubt he is a match winner like any of they are/were. bale was sublime for wales, ronaldo got portugal (ugh) to the final with his small game mentality and zidane won one, should ahve been two, world cups for france. pogba- in the euros- was dropped and not even the top five players on the pitch. were people saying if pogba plays well they will win? nope they were saying griezeman or loris etc. pogba was hardly mentioned. i think it is united making a 'gesture' but i dount he will improve the team much, if at all (famous last words)

they have a decent strike force now (martial/rooney/ibra/rashford) and, probably the fourth best keeper in the world (neuer/loris/buffon) but the midfield must be pretty bad if they are spending such money on pogba!

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Aliens are more likely to land in London than Leicester City defending their Premier League title, according to Foxes manager Claudio Ranieri.

The champions, a 5,000-1 shot for the title last season, begin their campaign at Hull City on Saturday.

Ranieri, 64, expects Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City to mount strong challenges after the Foxes finished 10 points clear last term.

"It's easier for ET to come to Piccadilly Circus," said the Italian.

"It is impossible. It is more difficult than last season. It is normal that we can't win the league. For this reason I say the bookmakers must do 6,000-1.

var-deee phone hommmmeeee! :lol: :D

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

bbc presenters expecting a return to the same ol boring formula
The predictions were made on the basis of how each squad shaped up on Friday 12 August, before the opening weekend and with more than a fortnight to go before the transfer window shuts.
Predictor 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Leicester
Jermaine Jenas Man City Tottenham Chelsea Liverpool 8th
John Hartson Man City Arsenal Man Utd Liverpool 7th
Dean Saunders Man City Leicester Liverpool Tottenham 2nd
Danny Murphy Man City Chelsea Man Utd Liverpool 8th
Ian Wright Man City Chelsea Man Utd Arsenal 6th
Ruud Gullit Man City Chelsea Man Utd Arsenal 6th
SAM (super-computer) Man City Chelsea Man Utd Tottenham 9th
Conor McNamara Man City Chelsea Man Utd Arsenal 6th
Casey Stoney Man City Chelsea Arsenal Man Utd 7th
Chris Sutton Man City Man Utd Liverpool Arsenal 7th
Martin Keown Man City Man Utd Arsenal Tottenham 7th
Pat Nevin Man City Man Utd Arsenal Tottenham 7th
Dan Walker Man City Man Utd Chelsea Liverpool 7th
Mark Lawrenson Man City Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal 10th
Guy Mowbray Man City Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal 6th
Juliette Ferrington Man City Man Utd Chelsea Arsenal 9th
Kevin Kilbane Man City Man Utd Tottenham Chelsea 6th
Alistair Bruce-Ball Man City Man Utd Tottenham Liverpool 8th
Danny Mills Man Utd Man City Tottenham Chelsea 7th
Garth Crooks Man Utd Man City Chelsea Arsenal 8th
John Murray Man Utd Man City Chelsea Arsenal 8th
Rachel Brown-Finnis Man Utd Man City Chelsea Arsenal 5th
Eniola Aluko Man Utd Man City Chelsea Tottenham 6th
Gabby Logan Man Utd Man City Chelsea Tottenham 7th
Manish Bhasin Man Utd Man City Chelsea Liverpool 8th
Steve Bower Man Utd Man City Arsenal Liverpool 8th
Ian Dennis Man Utd Man City Arsenal Liverpool 9th
Alistair Mann Man Utd Man City Arsenal Liverpool 7th
Jason Roberts Man Utd Arsenal Man City Chelsea 6th
Jason Mohammad Man Utd Chelsea Man City Tottenham 9th
Trevor Sinclair Chelsea Man City Liverpool Man Utd 7th
Steve Wilson Chelsea Man City Arsenal Man Utd 7th
John Motson Chelsea Liverpool Man City Man Utd 7th
Chris Waddle Tottenham Arsenal Man City Man Utd 9th

Seven teams feature in the forecasted top fours, compared to only four clubs in 29 of the 30 BBC predictions last season. Apart from Gullit and Wright, Keown and Nevin, and Crooks and Murray. everyone's combination is unique.

Nobody is backing Leicester to repeat their title success - their average expected position is seventh - and it is Manchester City who are favourites, with 18 votes. Manchester United get 12 votes, Chelsea three and Tottenham one.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I am seriously considering opting out this year.
I look at the obscene amounts of money swilling around, players on hundreds of thousands per week just to kick a piece of leather on a patch of grass and it absolutely sickens me. I cannot relate to any of it.
I'm already tired of the Sky hype machine.
All the shit going on in the world and we're supposed to care about these fucks? No, not anymore...it's time to walk away.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

As the Housemartins would say, ' Hull 2 : Leicester 1. '
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

sunray wrote:I am seriously considering opting out this year.
I look at the obscene amounts of money swilling around, players on hundreds of thousands per week just to kick a piece of leather on a patch of grass and it absolutely sickens me. I cannot relate to any of it.
I'm already tired of the Sky hype machine.
All the shit going on in the world and we're supposed to care about these fucks? No, not anymore...it's time to walk away.

well played!

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spacemanrich wrote:As the Housemartins would say, ' Hull 2 : The Champions 1. '

i corrected your pronunciation, hope you don't mind :D