Liverpool Psych Fest 2016

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

sunray
Known user

Liverpool Psych Fest 2016

Post by sunray »

Line up is out: http://thequietus.com/articles/19880-li ... sychedelia

Not sure about the headliners, SFA and The Horrors, nowt wrong with them just a bit, well, mainstream I guess.
Some nice ones in there too: Cavern Of Anti-Matter, Minami Deutsch, Kikagaku Moyo :D

A bit better than last years initial announcement I suppose.

Tickets now £88 including fees :shock: They didn't go up that much last year after the early birds were gone did they? That's a £30 increase. Didn't even know the early birds were close to selling out. Obviously getting more popular.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: Liverpool Psych Fest 2016

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Loving the line up, I like The Horrors and SFA so thats a tick from me. Some really interesting bands on here. so I looking forward to it for sure.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Agree with sunray about the headliners. I've never been a fan of SFA but sure their set will be interesting at the least. The Horrors are *okay* but a prime example of a band dabbling in psych and making a bit more mainstream

The undercard is good though. Wanted to see Dungen for a long time (one of my favourite modern psych bands). I am always chuffed to watch an Acid Mothers Temple set. The Spectres album has been growing on me.

Not many other names I recognise to be honest. Any pointers?

price increase not ideal but the way of the world with festivals unfortunately. Will buy my ticket tonight.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ultimate Painting (kind of a velvets meets Real Estate vibe)
Kikaguko Moyo-Amazing Japenese Psych band, great to watch live as well
Cavern Of Anti Matter- Tim Ganes post Stereolab, kraut infused electro band. Albums aewsome
Oscillation- Dark brooding psych in the Cult of Dom keller vein (but better imo)
Minami Deutsch- Jamepenese kraut rock, whats not to like there ?

There a few to get soundclouding and youtubing
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I think it looks really good/ promising, strong Japanese influence to look forward to, Cavern of Antimatter should be cracking as well,

Never seen SFA before, but I`m sure they`ll be really good and put an intersting show on, with another round of bands to come you can`t really go wrong, bought an early bird ticket back in Jan. bit of a steep jump that though to £88,
Last edited by niamhm on Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I saw Silver Apples for the first time in Melbourne supporting Spiritualized. He is an absolute legend in early electronic music circles and, of course, recorded an e.p. with Sonic Boom. I really enjoyed his show and will look forward to seeing him in September. I'm really excited about Cavern of Anti-Matter. I recall being a bit M'eh about last year's lineup at this stage and that turned out to be a phenomenal weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it irrespective of who plays really. It really is a superb weekend and is slowly becoming something akin to a 'care in the community day' for a sizeable bunch of outpatients and assorted hangers-on. :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Ultimate Painting (kind of a velvets meets Real Estate vibe)
Kikaguko Moyo-Amazing Japenese Psych band, great to watch live as well
Cavern Of Anti Matter- Tim Ganes post Stereolab, kraut infused electro band. Albums aewsome
Oscillation- Dark brooding psych in the Cult of Dom keller vein (but better imo)
Minami Deutsch- Jamepenese kraut rock, whats not to like there ?

There a few to get soundclouding and youtubing
cheers Dave- finger on the pulse as ever- bookmarking as we speak.
niamhm wrote:I think it looks really good/ promising, strong Japanese influence their to look forward to, Cavern of Antimatter should be cracking as well, ,
I agree- the Japanese/asian influence is definitely appealing/interesting to me also. they always do psych in a full on and interesting way.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: I recall being a bit M'eh about last year's lineup at this stage and that turned out to be a phenomenal weekend. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it irrespective of who plays really. It really is a superb weekend and is slowly becoming something akin to a 'care in the community day' for a sizeable bunch of outpatients and assorted hangers-on. :lol:
agree on both counts- I remember not being overly impressed initially last year, but the second big announcement really filled it out.
always a good time regardless.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Unfortunately I can't make it this year. Poor bastard, I'll be watching Kraftwerk at the Hollywood Bowl.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Cavern of Anti-Matter playing Saturday 24th as i've just seen they're playing Dublin on the Friday.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Cavern of Anti-Matter playing Saturday 24th as i've just seen they're playing Dublin on the Friday.
Good work there Joycey. I'm really impressed with their new LP so I'm looking forward to seeing them. There was a FB posting recently about further announcements being on the way.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

champing at the bit for more announcements now. I think the second batch was released around this time last year.

anyone wanna take any guesses/wishes?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:champing at the bit for more announcements now. I think the second batch was released around this time last year.

anyone wanna take any guesses/wishes?
Wish list:

Black Angels
Electric Moon/Zone Six
The Cosmic Dead
The Myrrors
Dead Skeletons
Yuri Gagarin
Earthless
Dead Meadow
Follakzoid
Eternal Tapestry
Mugstar
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote: Wish list:

Black Angels
Electric Moon/Zone Six
The Cosmic Dead
The Myrrors
Dead Skeletons
Yuri Gagarin
Earthless
Dead Meadow
Follakzoid
Eternal Tapestry
Mugstar
Not sure there are going to be many more changes to the line up announced. There are posters up around Liverpool now, so it looks pretty written in stone. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong. The Cosmic Dead and Mugstar played the first psyche fest IIRC. Sonic is touring so hopefully Spectrum will be added to the list. Lorelle Meets the Obsolete would be good too.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm hoping that they are doing it like last time where there were 2 main lineup announcements.

Spectrum would be a good one.
I'd really love Heron Oblivion
and as ever, always wanting Bardo Pond
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

This talk of Spectrum - does anyone know whether the current tour comprises a full band or whether it's PK solo, or some stripped back ensemble?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Tribute to LaMonte Young - Sonic Boom Etienne Jaumet and Celine Wadeir @ Paris Philarmonie

From a Spectrum FB posting.

I really want to see/hear this!!! :shock:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

KingHarry wrote:This talk of Spectrum - does anyone know whether the current tour comprises a full band or whether it's PK solo, or some stripped back ensemble?
I think I remember reading elsewhere that it's a duo setup- just Pete and a guitarist (Jason from the most recent Spectrum lineup)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I think we can safely say Dead Meadow will be playing as they have a stand alone London gig on the Monday after Pysch Fest.
Seen them 3 or 4 times now but not for a few years so will ensure I catch them this time round
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

angelsighs wrote:
I think I remember reading elsewhere that it's a duo setup- just Pete and a guitarist (Jason from the most recent Spectrum lineup)
I'd seen something similar. Do want to go to the Hebden bridge date and that picture above is making me more likely to go.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

You can also add The Warlocks to probable participants, UK tour all the following week
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good detective work there Dave. well up for both of those (especially Dead Meadow)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote:You can also add The Warlocks to probable participants, UK tour all the following week
Fucking brilliant. :roll: That'll be a five minute gig and 35 minutes to have a rest and a beer after Bobby H does a strop and walks off because the support act was too loud or whatever else is winding him up. :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'd be well chuffed with Dead Meadow and the Warlocks. Both up there with my gigs of 2015 (amazingly Bobby was on top form in Brighton :D ).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

new additions announced.

still not blown away with the lineup this year, I must admit. but still enough to get stuck into.

Pure Phase Ensemble is the highlight for me.
Ulrika Spacek were good supporting Diiv earlier in the year (better than the headline act actually)
Eagulls would be good for a different kind of postpunk vibe
also heard The Early Years are good live

EDIT: this is the full lineup apparently. must have spunked their dosh on the two big headliners!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote: EDIT: this is the full lineup apparently. must have spunked their dosh on the two big headliners!
I'm not bothered with either of the headliners. On the Friday I shall (conflicts permitting) make a point of seeing Silver Apples, Lorelle Meets the Obsolete and the GuruGuru Brain Crew (particularly Minami Deutsche and Kikagaku Moyo [they are playing in Manchester on tomorrow night but I'm not sure I'll go yet as I'm still pretty wrecked]. On the Saturday, I've got Cavern of Anti Matter as my #1 priority, along with The Oscillation, Acid Mother's Temple and The Lucid Dream.

However, I'm not taking any of this listen to the bands stuff too seriously. There will be a need to mooch about, drink beer, buy stupid amounts of vinyl and simply relax. The fact that I'll have a house full of nutters :shock: won't help :D .
EDIT: Balls, no sign of the Warlocks ( :roll: ) or Dead Meadows ( :cry: )
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

amen to that Olan! really looking forward to it.

I'm not overly bothered about the headliners either. but will still probably check them out. of course, there's also the chance to discover new bands as well.

also, just checked and actually, the message on their website says this is the 'full programme' but it also says there will be further additions to the lineup.. so looks like may still be a chance for the odd addition.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Solid rather than exciting line up. Plenty of smaller acts to have a gander at though, Flowers Must Die being one I definitely want to see.

Just have to get a ticket now! Tried to buy one ages ago and got a message on screen that there was a system fault and the transaction didn't go through. I've not had money on my card since then :roll:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote: EDIT: Balls, no sign of the Warlocks ( :roll: ) or Dead Meadows ( :cry: )
Yeah, I'm not listening to a word that Aquarian Time says again :roll: :wink: :lol:

I was hoping for more to be honest, but there's enough spread over the weekend to get me excited. Please about the addition of Early Years and Lorelle Meets The Obsolete.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Another good mix, will do the usual and go with the flow to see anything different to the normal
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Well, Dead Meadow have a show in Brighton on Sunday 25th September so they will be in the UK around Psych Fest time. Has Aquarian Time called it right?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

With yesterday's `PZYK Colony` news I now know at least 3 acts I want to see are on after midnight - by the law of averages at least one must clash with a headliner, that's festivals for you - don`t the organisers realise some of us are not getting any younger!! :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote:With yesterday's `PZYK Colony` news I now know at least 3 acts I want to see are on after midnight - by the law of averages at least one must clash with a headliner, that's festivals for you - don`t the organisers realise some of us are not getting any younger!! :)
Yep, I really want to see Cavern of Anti-Matter and they look like they'll be on very, very late. I may be forced to resort to a mid-gig Dad-nap so that I can power on through. Whatever I do, at my age it won't be good for the arthritis though :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Silver Apples on Friday with Cavern of Anti Matter and The Oscillation on the Saturday. So Saturday will definitely be a late one.

I've seen Silver Apples a few times so not too bothered about them but the other two are must sees for me.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Can't wait for this one. Massive respect to the organisers booking bands like Super Furrys, The Stairs and maybe not to everybodys tastes The Horrors. A lot of people question those bands as psychedelia but the organisers clearly are looking at the fact that the term encompasses many things.
Personally looking forward to (our schedule permitting) The Moonlandingz, Cavern of Anti Matter, Early Years, Pure Joy and generally taking in the brilliant vibe of the festival.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

blimey, yeah i think a mid festival siesta may be needed!!

not sure what this 'psych colony' thing actually is but it sounds like some kind of late night audio visual experience.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

noticed that Cavern of Antimatter are playing the Hare and Hounds in Birmingham a couple of days before the fest. might be a better way to catch them rather than having matchsticks in my eyes and feeling worse for wear in the middle of the night :)

quite a few of the acts seem to be slotting in some tour dates around the fest actually. and for once the midlands isn't missing out too much.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Glasgow venue Broadcast are having a mini-psych festival on the Sunday featuring a host of great bands including Cavern Of Anti-Matter and La Hell Gang...7 great bands over the course of the day... all for the rather impressive ticket price of £13!!!

http://www.seetickets.com/event/psych-s ... ast/984734

Cavern of Anti-Matter (Germany)
Methyl Ethel (Australia)
Lorelle Meets the Obsolete (Mexico)
Gnoomes (Russia)
Tau (Germany)
New Candys (Italy)
LA Hell Gang (Chile)

Great for people like me who can't make it to Liverpool.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Acid Mothers Temple playing Saturday.
I'm pretty gutted that both AMT and Cavern of Anti Matter are playing Dublin on the Friday night (different venues). So far they are the only Liverpool bound acts coming to these shores and i'll miss them :(
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Looking forward to this lot 8)

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Laz69 wrote:The Glasgow venue Broadcast are having a mini-psych festival on the Sunday featuring a host of great bands including Cavern Of Anti-Matter and La Hell Gang...7 great bands over the course of the day... all for the rather impressive ticket price of £13!!!

http://www.seetickets.com/event/psych-s ... ast/984734

Cavern of Anti-Matter (Germany)
Methyl Ethel (Australia)
Lorelle Meets the Obsolete (Mexico)
Gnoomes (Russia)
Tau (Germany)
New Candys (Italy)
LA Hell Gang (Chile)

Great for people like me who can't make it to Liverpool.
that is very nice! and talk about bang for buck. i'd kill for something like this in the midlands.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

final dispatch of news came out via email at some point Big Naturals got added? didn't spot that.

also Will Carruthers will be talking about his book.

and there's a PZYK vol 2 compilation which looks pretty nice. it includes the Dungen song Haxan which funnily enough I found on youtube the other day and its superb- Dungen you have to check this out!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjbcbiuwe9Y
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Can't wait for this, the only thing I will gladly miss will be Steve Davis after the "performance" he gave at Bluedot being shockingly bad
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Timetable up: http://www.liverpoolpsychfest.com/2016/ ... s-tickets/

If it's a case of 30 minutes between each band I don't think i've got too many clashes going on. It all seems to slot together nicely enough.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Timetable up: http://www.liverpoolpsychfest.com/2016/ ... s-tickets/

If it's a case of 30 minutes between each band I don't think i've got too many clashes going on. It all seems to slot together nicely enough.
Same for me and, speaking as a old bastard, I'm pleased that Cavern of Anti-Matter aren't on stupidly late so I can get home before my lumbago starts to play up :D .
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Closer inspection reveals that Friday is relatively clash free but Saturday has a few.

The Furnace appears to be ending early both nights, could result in big crowds in the Camp from midnight.

My biggest concern is that there a few late night acts i'd like to see but I suspect i'll have to forego them in favour of splitting a taxi with the old gimmers, rather than trying to nab one on my own later on (taxi that is, not an old gimmer) :roll: :wink:

On the plus side I don't anticipate spending much on merch this year!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

A Kikagaku/ Josefin Orhn clash on Friday is a bit of a pain, apart from that problem free,

Not so plain sailing on the Sat. a Yeti Lane/ Ultimate Painting/ Desert Mountain Tribe triple pile up is bollox, then Moonlandingz clashing with The Lucid Dream later is pants also, also The Oscillation who I wanted to see are on at the ludicrous time of 1.30 am!! Not sure how that will go after 2 days on the lash, the old constitution and psychic defences are not what they used to be, did I mention I was 50 earlier this yr? :lol:

Still, very much looking forward to next weekend 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:A Kikagaku/ Josefin Orhn clash on Friday is a bit of a pain, apart from that problem free,
agreed, that's a bit of a bummer!

not too many clashes for me. although I think that's more a reflection of the lineup in total- not that many bands I HAVE to catch, but lots of stuff i'm interested in checking out.

Acid Mothers Temple win over The Horrors easily.

doesn't the District stage look great on Saturday night? 2am for Spectres though? :S
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote:A Kikagaku/ Josefin Orhn clash on Friday is a bit of a pain, apart from that problem free,
No issue there if you're going to see Goat in October as Josefin Ohrn is supporting them for the whole tour. Personally, i'll be going for KM as I haven't really warmed to the Josefin album.
angelsighs wrote: not too many clashes for me. although I think that's more a reflection of the lineup in total- not that many bands I HAVE to catch, but lots of stuff i'm interested in checking out.
My feelings exactly 'Sighs. In saying that I do have a schedule pretty much planned out :wink:
olan
Known user

A few thoughts about this year's LPF

Post by olan »

As is usual I really enjoyed myself at the LPF. The regular crew who stayed with Jackie and I were brilliant. Despite going for a world record number of Facebook messages in one morning, clewsr and I managed to avoid each other for the second year running :D .

However, for me, this year's event really did seem to be more of a social event than a musical one. The atmosphere was great, I got to meet up with some excellent people, some for the first time, others appear to be regular visitors to Liverpool now. The highlight for me was the Kikagaku Moyo set which was absolutely excellent. I also really enjoyed the sets by Silver Apples, Cavern of Anti-Matter and Flavour Crystals. I was really surprised by Plank who played a very stripped back set as a bass/guitar/drums three-piece without the usual analogue synths. Their new drummer is outstanding.

Low points (which didn't stop me enjoying myself) included the headline acts who were just really, really dull; the rubbish lights/net curtains interface in the Camp for the main late acts (I would have preferred a traditional light show); and the absence of cake and cushions at the Bold Street Coffee setup. :shock: On a positive note, the pop-up record shop was a bit rubbish so I am not impoverished now :D. Actually providing enough PA to play loudly without clipping and remembering to turn it on while the artists are playing would good thing too (Silver Apples played through the monitors without a PA for most of the first tune). :roll:

The introduction of drinks tokens seemed to earn universal disapproval, as did the alcohol-free gin and tonics. It seemed that there were far fewer people than last year which made it easier to get around but made for a strange atmosphere. I guess that following on from last year's LPF with its absolutely stellar lineup and brilliant atmosphere would be a challenge for anybody. In some ways the 'Psych Fest' is a victim of its focus on a single genre as there just aren't enough decent bands who haven't played it yet. There was an unwelcome smattering of cod-indie rubbish filling out the lineup :x .

The most important development was the failure to repeat the great blockage incident of 2015, for which Jackie and I were very grateful. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by olan on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Sadly real life very much intruded on my ability to enjoy this years festival. Had to skip Friday entirely and then made it only for the afternoon and evening on Saturday. Very much enjoyed Will Carruther's talk and had a little chat with him afterwards. Saw a few bands, enjoyed Pure Phase Ensemble and that was about it for me. I would have liked to make a return to see the Cavern of Anti Matter and The Early Years but I was about done for by then.

Highlight for me was bumping into an old friend from Clubbing days in Voodoo who I hadn't seen in nearly twenty years. Time flies, but amazingly he looked almost exactly the same. Who says the drugs don't work.

I can't believe we didn't bump into each other Olan, as you say it did seem quieter than last year. Perhaps next year I'll actually have a mobile phone that fucking works!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just coming back to feeling a semblance of normality after the weekend shenanigans, a great time was had, Psyche really does a great crowd and atmosphere, catching up with a few from this forum is always good, saw great sets from The Hanging Stars, Kikagaku Moyo, Minami Deutsch were really good, terrific rhythm section really nailing the kraut influence,
Been playing the Desert Mountain Tribe album a fair bit recently and they were great as well. Caught Will Carruthers in discussion with Dom Gourlay, he`s certainly engaging and I enjoyed it - infact I`m going to see him again on Tue.- but, on reflection later,he wasn`t giving too much away on the early days, the chat makes a nice change of pace though,
Best thing for me though was La Hell Gang and their dark, rolling take on psyche, pretty new to me this lot, only check them out recently for the Festival, full of brooding menace, highly recommended.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

'Twas a good weekend alright but not at the same level as the previous two years. Set of the weekend for me was Cavern Of Anti Matter. Also impressive on Saturday were Acid Mothers Temple and La Hell Gang. Friday belonged to Minami Deutsch who gave me grins and goosebumps :D

Missed 3 or 4 bands over the course of Saturday in favour of a chat and sitdown but you can't see everything and it's good to be sociable :D

All the usual suspects in attendance, had a great time with all. Much laughs and nerdy banter. Thanks to Olan as always and a specific mention for his upgraded hi-fi system :shock: :mrgreen: Also thanks to AquarianTime and Gaz for the lift to the airport, much appreciated chaps.
Criticisms? Very lightweight musically this year. Not enough bands at the heavier end of the psych spectrum. AMT and Big Naturals were the only acts that supplied a good noise-infused wallop to the cranium. It's all listenable but I'd like something to really get stuck into rather than pleasantly enjoy.
Drink tokens? Hmmm....hard to gauge how much you're going to drink in advance, luckily I got it just right but that was more a fluke than anything else.

Still, I hope to be back for next years shindig for music and nonsense.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Forgot to add, Joey `f#ckin` Barton was seen losing his shit to The Horrors but definitely not Acid Mothers Temple, serving a 3 week suspension from his club, :shock: :shock: :?
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

LPF Virgin and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highlights for me were Josefin Ohrn + The Liberation, La Luz , La Hell Gang. Top prize for nuttiest band of the weekend goes to Moonlandingz.
Just finished Playing The Bass W T L H book, so it was good to be at the Will Carruthers talk. Also had a quick chat with Will about the meat processing factory that he worked in and which he wrote about in the book, Interesting!
Unexpected set of the weekend was the sound and visuals of Eartheater , but then that was what seems so great about this festival wherever you went . Here's looking forward to next year.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep another great year at the psych fest. thanks from me too for Olan and family for putting up with us all again!

I don't have a problem with the beer tokens. my only gripes really are the often poor sound quality on the Furnace stage (The Horrors sounded muddy as hell- and to think I left Acid Mothers early for them!) and the fact the acts go on so late into the night- I know it makes me sound like a wuss but there were at least 2 or 3 more acts I would liked to have seen if I could have stayed the course!.

there were no bands that truly blew my mind this year, but that can't happen every time.

my highlights were:

Kikagaku Moyo- my one proper new discovery of the weekend. in a sea of so many droney and often samey bands, they were a breath of fresh air. a distinct whiff of prog as the songs took on many forms and kept changing and shifting, it all sounded immaculate as it locked together. and you can't go wrong with a sitar.

Pure Phase Ensemble- there were a couple of naff moments in their set but generally really good- a nice fluid soundscape with some bits where it built up nicely and sax and keyboards adding great texture

Dungen- despite some sound and equipment problems, they really shone. I seemed to be the only fan in our group, but they really are one of my favourite bands at the moment, psych or otherwise. they are all incredible musicans and seeing it all play out close up was great. happily, they sounded much rockier than I expected too. not an acoustic guitar in sight anywhere.

Acid Mother Temple- probably my highlight, and unexpectedly so. I have seen them a few times before and just expected more of the same old drill. but the fact they have a new rhythm section seems to have revitalised them. the set was the loudest I have ever seen them, but at the same time so direct and relatively little messing about. even Pink Lady Lemonade was pretty short and sweet. in short- they rocked.

I must admit Minami Deutsch and Cavern of Anti Matter left me relatively cold. I'm not sure if I'm becoming jaded to the use of the motorik beat these days?

Will Carruthers interview was nice but the interviewers questions were weak and vague meaning nothing of interest was really said.