Jonathan Wilson

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Jonathan Wilson

Post by angelsighs »

one of my intermittent threads really bigging up an artist I have become enamoured with recently.

I was aware of his name for a while but never really investigated until recently. I thought it would be one man and his guitar kinda thing but it's much more expansive than that.

He's been linked in with the whole West Coast hippy rock vibe, there's definitely a lot of that lineage in there (apparently he's part of a loose jamming scene over there and he's played with the likes of Graham Nash and members of the Dead)
it could be considered just a retro thing but he manages to add enough to stop it being just a pastiche.
the production and arrangements are immaculate- very analogue sounding, real attention to detail while still having a flow to it. some tracks are stripped down and folky, but many are fuller, with interlocking guitars, harmonies and it even gets slightly Pink Floyd-ish when the mellotrons kick in and it floats away a bit.

I would really love to see this guy live. I watched some live sessions on youtube and really loved how good it sounded and the musical talent on display.

The albums I've got are Fanfare and Gentle Spirit- I think I slightly prefer the latter, but both are excellent. both are effectively double albums too as he basically fills the CD up.

any other fans here?
johnnyboy
Known user

Re: Jonathan Wilson

Post by johnnyboy »

I've known his name for some years now and via his production work, and playing with, Father John Misty. This is a very sweet cover of John Lennon's "God" with FJM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7S-DP26kIs "I don't believe in Star Wars"

Will check him further.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've got the Fanfare album on vinyl....its incredible and there is a song on there which is a dead ringer for Danger Bird by Neil Young. I'm pretty sure I picked it up after it was recommended on here...by Spzretent if my memory serves me well?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Shinesalight wrote:I've got the Fanfare album on vinyl....its incredible and there is a song on there which is a dead ringer for Danger Bird by Neil Young. I'm pretty sure I picked it up after it was recommended on here...by Spzretent if my memory serves me well?
It wasn't me. I listened to the first record and it wasn't for me. I know a lot of others here loved it. Runcible for one.
Weirdly I love this similar guy Israel Nash. His albums Rain Plains and the new one Silver Season.
Perhaps its time to revisit Jonathan Wilson. Particularly as I am about to play Dennis Wilson- Pacific Ocean Blue. :lol:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I liked the first one enough; nice sounding. I think I listened to the next (Fanfare?) less than a handful of times - the hippy dippy lyricism gets on my nerves.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:I've got the Fanfare album on vinyl....its incredible and there is a song on there which is a dead ringer for Danger Bird by Neil Young. ?
ooh I'll have to listen out for that..

The lyrics aren't his strong point but I don't find it distracts from the music (which is mostly excellent)

I'll check out this guy Israel Nash.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:one of my intermittent threads really bigging up an artist I have become enamoured with recently.
yup, the whole tell me about... was started by you i believe
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Dr wrote:
yup, the whole tell me about... was started by you i believe
I believe you're right. That was more about me asking about artists I wasn't familiar with already. Lots of knowledgeable types around here so you know you're going to get some informative viewpoints.

Threads like this- where I pretty much unconditionally recommend an artist- I try not to do too often. if someone recommends their 'favourite new band' every week or so, you tend to switch off.. ;) (we all know people like this, right?)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:
I believe you're right. That was more about me asking about artists I wasn't familiar with already. Lots of knowledgeable types around here so you know you're going to get some informative viewpoints.

Threads like this- where I pretty much unconditionally recommend an artist- I try not to do too often. if someone recommends their 'favourite new band' every week or so, you tend to switch off.. ;) (we all know people like this, right?)
yes the whole 'greatest band ever! of the week' seems the premise for NME and most other music magazines whereas the older ones say 'yeah we have the beatles, dylan so to hell with the rest'

to be fair i was making a pretty much asinine comment as more of a nod to you as i took your thing and use it myself, as most recently seen in the popular joni mitchell thread! :wink: :lol:

credit where credit is due
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I saw him live a couple of years ago. High level of skill on show with some amazing guitar work between JW and the other guy, but after 45 minutes or so I'd sort of seen enough and we went home early. I did enjoy it but it was less durable then I expected.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Another name that passed by in the crowd - but I am happy you Users mentioned the name and your opinions; I'll order this soon; Thank You Very Much! It sounds very interesting.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i'd recommend putting some headphones on and immersing in this excellent live session.. some great musicians standing in a circle and doing their thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ghow9gOYec
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's been a while, but finally a new Jonathan Wilson album is on the way.

I listened to the single.. it's change of direction to say the least. I have to say, I'm not really digging it. he's moved away from the Laurel Canyon sound to a very shiny almost 80s thing...

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/jonathan ... rare-birds

UK Tour dates:

March
14 Glasgow Orna Mor
15 Dublin Whelans
16 Leeds Brudenell Social Club
17 Brighton Concorde 2
19 London Omeara
20 London Omeara