For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Leeds...

Post by spzretent »

....have been promoted yes?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Leeds...

Post by runcible »

Indeed. Just. Talk about making things difficult for yourself. Phew...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Yes and now they are top of the download charts on Amazon with Marching On Together.

Happy Days :D
'Remember, change is not good'
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

So after the first few games I can see this being a real rollercoaster ride this season :!:
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

hopefuly more downs than ups! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

wtf are leicester doing :( we should have never driven pearson away :cry:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Arsenal away in FA Cup, give us a break :!:
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I know there are a few Leeds fans here, I'm a Norwich fan, anyone care to comment on the Howson transfer? Is he any good, I've not really seen him play. I'm still not entirely convinced by B. Johnson, is Howson better/worse or a different player completely?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Both always struck me as Champiomship players - decent ones too - but ones who will struggle in the Premiership.

Next stop is Snodgrass leaving - he's easily our finest player and would be desperately missed.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

One of out better players, can be a force given the free role in middle of park, tends to drift out of games for long periods.

Constantly selling our best players then bringing in premiership has beens and journeymen, our lack of ambition is limitless :!:
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Speaking of lack of ambition, I would not wish Robbie Rogers on anyone. Who knows though, maybe he will step up his game in the Championship. You cannot teach speed, right?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Alex English wrote:Speaking of lack of ambition, I would not wish Robbie Rogers on anyone. Who knows though, maybe he will step up his game in the Championship. You cannot teach speed, right?
So I take it this guy is no good :?:
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Even if Howson doesn't turn out to be a success at Norwich, Leeds have made a lot of Norwich fans happy today by putting one over on Ipswich :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Jasonsmith wrote:Even if Howson doesn't turn out to be a success at Norwich, Leeds have made a lot of Norwich fans happy today by putting one over on Ipswich :D
...despite playing like shit I believe...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Yup :!:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

time for Warnock to go?
(currently getting beaten 2-0 away to bottom of the table Barnsley)

Leeds fans can't be happy atm surely. bates has sold them to faceless foreign owners instead of the fans; on field performances have been between woeful & shocking the past few months; the squad is full of journeymen & average footballers; they've been lurking outside the playoffs, going nowhere, all year.

should warnock be trusted in this transfer window? tonge has already come in (& in fairness he's the only leeds midfielder capable of passing the ball) but otherwise his signings, one or two aside, have been uninspiring & next to useless.

it's hard to see what if any progress is being made. it looks like another wasted season already. unless there is a miraculous transformation about to happen it's hard to see how warnock can justify his position.
are there alternatives out there to him? or are leeds fans willing to give him another yr?
it's too long since they've been in the top tier. surely this form & these performances are deemed unsatisfactory?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

^^ what he said. Too depressing to say any more.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

not so depressing today.

come from behind to win w/the last kick of the game, 33,000+ @ the ground home allocation tix sold out place seemed to be bouncing.
new owners trying to buy back elland rd for the club

things just maybe finally looking UP.
good day today, more of the same please bmd.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

jack white wrote:not so depressing today.

come from behind to win w/the last kick of the game, 33,000+ @ the ground home allocation tix sold out place seemed to be bouncing.
new owners trying to buy back elland rd for the club

things just maybe finally looking UP.
good day today, more of the same please bmd.
A fabulous day indeed, seemed like a different place yesterday it was buzzing a real feel good factor. Let's hope it's a taste of things to come :D
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Enjoy Luke Murphy, been a favourite of mine at Gresty Road since he made his debut at 17 (been at Crewe since he was 7), another one off our production line.
I would wager Max cCayton or Ryan Colclough will be the next to get big moves.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

another new owner seemingly about to take over - massimo cellino, who owns cagliari football team in serie A.

as a fan of serie A i have to say i initially i was hoping this story wouldn't be true. he's a bit of maverick, has a reputation for sacking managers & other more nefarious dealings.

however he has done some good work for cagliari - he has improved the infrastructure & player recruitment - there's been a fair few players passed thru cagliari in recent yrs gone onto bigger clubs. they're stable in Serie A now, with a decent squad some of whom (nianggolan) should be playing at a higher level.
he obv knows the football world well so at least he has that going for him

but whether he has the temperament & patience to renovate leeds is another matter entirely & completely up in the air.
i'd like to say things couldn't get any worse from risdale to bates & this most recent shower but who knows. i'd also like to say cellino would not have been someone i'd have welcomed prior to this but now he's here will just have to endure.

i dunno. maybe he'll turn it around. leeds are in a pretty poor state, years away from where they need to be.
one thing that's probably for sure is bye bye brian mcdermot..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:i dunno. maybe he'll turn it around. leeds are in a pretty poor state, years away from where they need to be.
one thing that's probably for sure is bye bye brian mcdermot..
I think losing BD would be a shame. He has had to work in very tricky conditions. But it's pretty miserable at the moment for us Leeds fans. Vaguely comforted by the horrorshow over the Pennines but not much.

In typical fashion everything to do with LUFC is shrouded in mystery, doubt and confusion. This latest takeover is going the same way all the others do - i.e. words like 'stall', 'deadlock' and ''rumoured' are used. The only thing you can rely on is the unreliability.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

The state of Leeds FC sounds quite similar to my team, the Cleveland Browns....
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

If McCormack is sold we are well and truly scuppered. 'One man team' is an understatement :!:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

...just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

:cry:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Well I wouldn't have been surprised had they then sold Ross after sacking bmd.

I've a lot of sympathy & respect for bmd. Initially I'd backed his appointment. He's had to deal w/crap above his head & crap on the pitch: the legacy of risdale/bates still infects the club & undermines any chance of meaningful progress. Results have been disastrous tho.

It is sad tho. The club is suffering under a succession of people out to line their own pockets by turning a quick profit & taking from the club. There doesn't seem to be anyone interested in restoring a bit of pride & success, just take quick money & run.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

People saying he's on his way back now! Madness.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If this was a plot in a soap opera no one would believe it.
BVCP206
Known user

and after Re: Leeds...

Post by BVCP206 »

6 bids for McCormack on last night of transfer window all turned down (not like us!) and after yesterday you can see why. No idea what's going on but 2nd half yesterday showed what we CAN do on the pitch if (and it's such a big IF!) all the behind the scenes crap can get sorted. :roll:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Forza Leeds!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jack white wrote:Forza Leeds!
Hmmm. Can't get much worse. We'll see what happens.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

smooth sailing from here on out ;)

if you'll pardon the strained yacth pun..

i dunno. atm, the positives far outweigh the negatives. for all his ills - & alleged ills - he's successfully run a football club in italy the past 2 decades. a bit of that stability would go a long way to addressing the underlying problems of the club.
& one thing you can say about cellino & the way he runs his football club, there'll be none of the overspending that has threatened to ruin leeds. he will cut that stuff out as soon as he can.

it's still a mess but finally there's someone with a grip on the situation who seems to want to turn leeds into a viable entity. not that he's not there to make money, just he seems to have a longer term interest than the shower who have come before him..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Back in Premiership in 2016 according to MC so to pull a quote from W1A 'that's all good then' :wink:

Seriously this has to be good news at least the guy has ££££'s and is passionate about football :D
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

yea but he won't spend that money. he will be far more financially prudent than GFH & Risdale but not make out like a bandit like Bates. he knows how to run a club. but he has a host of real problems, least of all the squad as it is - trying to offload some of those guys will be hard work, how the hell do they get someone to take on Hunt's wages for instance? & he's got to purchase ER & Thorpe Arches - but they'll be his assets, not the clubs..

it won't be like the billionaire's coming in & just throwing an endless amount at the problem. he'll build the team gradually. tho getting into the Prem is obv a priority. once we're there i'd say that's when the journey will really start & it could be a long one back to the top.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A surprising amount of players are out of contract in the summer and he won't renew those I'm sure. He only rates Byram, Mowatt and McCormack from what I've heard.

How David Haigh is still in a job is a mystery. That guy has aligned himself with whoever he felt was going to win the bidding war and has swapped allegiances willy nilly for months - the fans saw through him some time ago. You'd think Cellino would have done too - there were reports he sacked him and he certainly had it in for him in the now famous internet radio interview, calling him a 'devil' and a 'son of a bitch'. Doesn't sound like a great working relationship!
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

He rates Mowatt :roll:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

BVCP206 wrote:He rates Mowatt :roll:
Tis the rumour.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Cellino visited the (in)famous Peacock pub yesterday for a pint after he had been to Elland Road excellent PR work couldn't imagine the Glazers doing that :lol:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Good start to things under the new owner:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... avid-haigh
No sign of any turmoil there then..... :shock:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:No sign of any turmoil there then..... :shock:
Pffft. That's nothing mate. Leeds fans don't even notice stories like that these days.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:
olan wrote:No sign of any turmoil there then..... :shock:
Pffft. That's nothing mate. Leeds fans don't even notice stories like that these days.
:lol:
I hope my post did not come across as snide. I reckon after Risdale, Bates et al, and the last lot your mob deserves a bit of a break. On the bright side though, at least the cameras and recording devices weren't in the loos..... :roll:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

No, no, it's been a pantomime for some time. I'm sure I'd be astonished at the chaotic set up that there is at Elland Road. Just gets weirder by the minute so the idea of spy cameras being found in the boardroom is small scale!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yesterday was my first league game for years. Working in retail generally screws up football. But nothing prepared me for the inept and dour performance I witnessed. For Forest it was like a training game - they didn't have to do much as we had no ideas and I was struggling to see tactics of any kind at all. Garbage.

And referring to another thread, no one knows real football hell like Leeds fans - who despite turning on the team somewhat still sang their hearts out yesterday. Lots of empty seats too...! :oops:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

This season is a write-off - & could've been worse.
& there's a lot of work ahead, but there is some cause for optimism going forward..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote:This season is a write-off - & could've been worse.
& there's a lot of work ahead, but there is some cause for optimism going forward..
I don't follow Leeds but the parallels between them and my club seem similar. Heartbreak, disappointment and "Maybe Next Year" has been Cleveland's motto since 1965. Yet, they still have one of the largest and most dedicated fan bases in sport.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Leeds endured a string of bastards mishandling the clubs finances. There's really not been much realistic chance of 'maybe next year'. & they're still recovering from the mess. If it is to be next year I'd think they'll have progressed ahead of schedule. It's a massive undertaking just to revamp the squad to the required level never mind the infrastructure of the organisation. I think there's a lot of work until they even get close to 'maybe next season' sadly - it's that much of a mess. But there is definitely potential & they've got an owner now who knows how to maintain a club..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

^^What he said. It's been painful for years now!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

jack white wrote:Leeds endured a string of bastards mishandling the clubs finances. There's really not been much realistic chance of 'maybe next year'.
Cleveland's "maybe next year" has never been realistic either. It's just the enthusiasm and hope of its fans at the start and end of each season that maybe, just maybe, we might rise from the depths of the cellar and actually play like a professional team rather than a second rate college, or at times, high school team! We got close in the 80's but it wasn't to be. It's been a long drought of shamelessly bad football, coaches and players not reaching their potential and poor management ever since. As always, I'm very hopeful and the eternal optimist that the ship will be righted and this season will be our break out year. My dad is jaded and less enthusiastic - focusing more on the negatives. I can't be like that...I need hope.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Paddy Kenny given the arse by Cellino allegedly because his birthday is on the 17th.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... addy-kenny

It is in the Grauniad so it must be true...... :roll:

I suspect this Cellino escapade could all end in tears which is a shame, because after Bates, Leeds fans deserve somebody who is hard to dislike intensely and who is vaguely sane running the club. Sadly they look to have Paolo Di Canio's stunt double (leaving any suggestion of fascist tendencies aside of course) in charge now.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

& ross mccormack has handed in a transfer request... wants to move to fulham(!) :roll:
(i don't mind him leaving to be honest cause i don't think he'll be able to repeat his feats of last season & if they get good money for him it'll help improve the team as they were over-reliant on him).

for all his craziness (eccentricities is too mild a word), cellino knows what it's about. he kept cagliari competitive for 20-odd years.
ok his choice of head coach is bewildering & uninspiring. but the infrastructure he's has for bringing players in is proven quality. i think he has a much better grasp on the matter than any of the charlatans who preceded him.

& at the very least it's more fun w/him opposed to the pain of the previous regimes.
i mean it's only been like 6months since he's been around the club & it's been a rollercoaster. he's a mad man but not a fiendish intolerable like bates/gfh. he's slightly more honest than that shower..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

£11m for a player that cost £350k massive result for Leeds over to you Massimo.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Leeds circus just keeps on going:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28976281
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Barely raises a ripple with Leeds fans I can assure you. Nothing surprises me about that club anymore.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

darko milanic sacked.

having watched today's game (& the rotherham game) i have to say i welcome the news. i'm glad cellino has nipped this situation in the bud before it deteriorated further. they've actually gone backwards under milanic, shown no signs of progress.

hopefully he gets it right next time (tho history shows he kinda doesn't). someone give him tony pulis's phone #.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I haven't been to Elland Road this season but I know plenty who have. Most say the same thing - Milanic got them playing some decent football but couldn't keep the momentum up. We bossed the first half of the last 2 defeats but were muscled out of the 2nd so consistency has been a major issue.

Normally the news of a manager being sacked after 32 days would raise an eyebrow, but at Leeds Utd the random/unexpected button is permanently pushed. So nothing feels as surreal as it should anymore. The one thing that has surprised me is the amount of potential buyers there are in Yorkshire who could have bought the club with their pocket change - but none of them has, so the old 'poisoned chalice' thing comes to mind. That club must be the biggest sleeping giant around at the moment. Potential fanbase is huge, one club city, heaps of tradition and accomplishment in the past... Yet there is resistance or reluctance on the part of any potential owner with the money to make the difference required. Having seen how the place has been run for the last 12 or so years is probably enough evidence that things aren't good for anyone stepping in.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Just heard that ex-Chairman Leslie Silver has died today aged 89.

This man was a true gent who I was lucky enough to meet a few times, and a real fan who was in charge when the team won the 1992 title. At home games I am told he would go out and sit in his seat at Elland Road for a while before kick off, just to absorb the atmosphere as he loved it so much.

A great man who Leeds fans will miss with considerable sadness. RIP.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Important game today Millwall @ home always a feisty affair and in view of positions in league a classic 6 pointer :!: I will as always go full of hope but you never know with Leeds :roll:
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yea big game for Leeds. A win would give them some vital breathing space. Hopefully they continue the run of decent results lately, things starting to look up since turn of yr.. Still a lot of mess around, off the pitch moreso. Not too keen on Andrew Umbers. Need shot off GFH altogether.
The squad's finally got a bit of balance & competition in it - finally rid of Norris et al.

Millwall.. Weird one. Their fans tend to boycott the game so atmosphere could be weird one. Should play into Leeds' hands.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Great result & performance today.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

40 years this week since the travesty that was the 1975 Europen Cup Final, in a week that has exposed the farce that is FIFA we should not forget one of the biggest injustices in football history :!:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Cannot hold a lead, incredibly frustrating :x
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Not looking too good at moment :(
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Never a dull moment.... :!:
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Garry Monk new head coach great appointment let's hope he gets the backing :!:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36433909
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

For 6 months. Decent manager but no one will get the time they need there.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

BVCP206 wrote:Garry Monk new head coach great appointment let's hope he gets the backing :!:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36433909
I take it all back, woeful performance against Huddersfield, didn't create a single chance til 60 minutes! Can't blame Celino this time tactically so inept bad team selection bad substitutions and his post match interview was appaling!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p047fv3z

At least GFH now out of picture so maybe just maybe ( :wink: ) an investor will come in.