What gigs have you got coming up?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

Re: What gigs have you got coming up?

Post by Shinesalight »

Off to see Electric Moon in London tomorrow night with fellow forumite, Aquarian-Time 8)

Then hopefully seeing Follakzoid and Kikagaku Moyo over the bank holiday weekend in Brighton at the end of the month.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Off to see one of this forums favourite bands, the

MANIC STREET PREACHERS

in Glasgow on Saturday night for a pal's stag.

They're playing their biggest selling album, so stadium anthems will no doubt abound. Not actually bothered about the gig itself and the additional songs they've been playing for these shows veer from dull to "see ya at the bar" other than a few classics, but the crack should be awesome: bunch of us haven't been in the same room for years...

8)
O P 8
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

BJM
PJ Harvey
Swans
Guided By Voices
Kraftwerk in LA and San Diego (with James T)
Desert Stars Festival in Pioneertown (Dinosaur Jr, Trail of Dead, etc)
Echo and the Bunnymen

I also have tickets to see Sigur Ros, but that conflicts with the Desert Stars Festival. Since James will be in town she commandeered them for herself. I'm not mad.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I wanna see sigur ros but there has rarely been a show better than a trail of dead show. At Pappys? Well, it's gotta be the best.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Marissa Nadler + Wrekmeister Hamonies tonight at the St John's Church in Bethnal Green, London. Should be a wonderful experience but I'm suffering with a heavy head cold and horrible lethargy and all that other man-cold stuff. Still want to go but will see cometh the end of the working day.

(I went, it was marvellous)
Last edited by johnnyboy on Thu May 26, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

have Trail of Dead still got it then? the recent albums have been a bit off but if the set was mainly Madonna/Sources Tags & Codes then all would be good...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

They still cover Madonna thru to World Apart mostly, though this set we're seeing is just Source Tags & Codes in full. Apparently they have no plans to tour or record after that show, according to their own posts.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

even more reason not to miss the show then, right? Sigur Ros will tour again.

I never managed to see Trail of Dead unfortunately.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Seen them 4 or 5 times and hosted an aftershow with them once where we DJ'd together, excellent evening and guys!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

That would be Kikagaku Moyo, tonight @ Nice n Sleazy`s in Glasgow, really looking forward to this, support from Tau, a Dead Skeleton and a Moon Duo element in here I think, should be interesting as well, and finally Glasgow`s own Helicon,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Kikagaku Moyo in Brighton on Monday night. I know a few people on the forum saw them in Manchester last night and were very impressed. I saw them in London a couple of years ago and was blown away by them so very excited about seeing them again (and then again at this year's Liverpool Psych Fest) 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

niamhm wrote:That would be Kikagaku Moyo, tonight @ Nice n Sleazy`s in Glasgow, really looking forward to this, support from Tau, a Dead Skeleton and a Moon Duo element in here I think, should be interesting as well, and finally Glasgow`s own Helicon,
Think we must have posted at exactly the same time niamh. Enjoy them tonight :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Flaming Lips,Low,Sun Kil Moon,Mercury Rev and Brian Eno - The Ship installation on Heartland Festival in Denmark.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael Rother just announced a date at the Brudenell on September 27th - that's made my afternoon. Very happy!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm super disappointed to miss that as I'll be travelling back from the US, have been trying to get him in Manchester for a long while but couldn't make it happen unfortunately.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Sun Kil Moon is playing Birmingham, might check him out

Ryley Walker too.. I think he is going places. the new stuff I've heard is great and leaps and bounds above his previous stuff.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

JAMC playing 2 shows @ Glasgow ABC in late Aug, will be at one or both depending on circumstances.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ryley Walker intrigues me, so I may delve into his world for a while and possibly a gig or two

Upcoming fun and games include

June
Neil Young, BRMC, Parquet Courts, Howe Gelb
July
Belly, Moon Duo
Aug
Low
Sep
Ride, Pysch Fest and who knows what else
Oct
Luna (hopefully), White Denim, Explosions In The Sky
Nov
Teenage Fanclub and Lush
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Ryley Walker intrigues me, so I may delve into his world for a while and possibly a gig or two
highly recommended. he is a talented chap, and puts on a proper live show (i.e. lots of stage banter, improv taking the tunes somewhere else). his previous stuff was still showing the folky influences a bit much but the new song I've heard seems to be finding his own voice. he was already playing a whole bunch of new tunes when I saw him earlier in the year.
I predict he will be playing bigger venues next time.

where are BRMC playing?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Sorry sir on autopilot, I meant BJM not BRMC !!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thought you knew about a secret gig or something then :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:thought you knew about a secret gig or something then :)
Don't trust him Sighs....he's the bugger that told us The Warlocks and Dead Meadow were playing LPF :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

and I believe he's the scoundrel that told us it was Kid Millions on drums at last years fest.. not sure I can believe a word that comes out of his mouth now ;)

(PS I still think there's a chance for Dead Meadow/Warlocks to be added)
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Now listen here :wink:

James told me it was Kid Millions (bloody looked like him as well)

Warlocks and or Dead Meadow WILL play Psych Fest. Promise

In all seriousness, I really like the line up, loads of interesting acts on the under card. Think there could be a few "I was there moments if we do the necessary detective work on some acts.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think you may be right, and either one may be a last minute addition.

will definitely be good to go with the flow and possibly discover some new acts too.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Just booked up to see the lovely Angel Olsen at KOKO in Camden on 17th Oct. She's been on my 'must see next time' list for a while now. Any fans here?

Field Day festival this Sunday in London. Looking forward to trying to see the likes of Goat, Moon Duo, PJ Harvey, Fat White Family, Avalanches, Parquet Courts, Beach House.......but there will be clashes.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The Early Years - Moth Club - 27.06
Sonic Boom - Oslo Hackney - 09.07
The Orb - Brixton - 29.07

3 good shows I think.

EDIT: Stone Roses next Friday. It will be my sons first major gig.
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

johnnyboy wrote:Just booked up to see the lovely Angel Olsen at KOKO in Camden on 17th Oct. She's been on my 'must see next time' list for a while now. Any fans here?
just checked her stuff out the other day actually. I decided I need some more singer-songwritery stuff in my collection. I liked what I heard (it was some tracks from Burn Your Fire For No Witness)

(and yeah, I quite fancy her too... :oops: )
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It was me, indeed, who said it was KM. And it is quite funny that after my complaints about him, I came out of that show "actually at kid millions did a fairly decent job tonight"......
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

johnnyboy wrote:Just booked up to see the lovely Angel Olsen at KOKO in Camden on 17th Oct. She's been on my 'must see next time' list for a while now. Any fans here?
Me! I saw her live for 'Burn Your Fire for no Witness' and it was a riveting set- the band she put together for that tour was fantastic! I missed her last time she came through town, but will be seeing her the next time (which will be September, I think).

I'm going to see The Cure on Saturday night- kind of weird thinking about this as I just got my ticket a few days ago. Since both shows sold out in minutes when they went on sale it took a while to find one at face value. I'd given up on the idea of going until I found one of StubHub of all places. I've seen them eight times since 1996, so it seemed that I needed to get myself together to catch them this time. Will be going early to catch The Twilight Sad as they're one of those bands I've always been curious about but have never taken the time to listen to. The only irritating little detail is the fact that my wife will be out of town for this- when we first met I was traveling around the country to see them touring for 'Bloodflowers' and she was never able to go to any of the shows with me. Then here they are in our hometown and I'm able to find a ticket and she ends up having to go out of town on business.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

shalloboi wrote: I'm going to see The Cure on Saturday night- kind of weird thinking about this as I just got my ticket a few days ago. Since both shows sold out in minutes when they went on sale it took a while to find one at face value..
One of my friends is working on the tour at the moment doing a locum role due to illness in the regular crew (I think). He reckons that The Cure have rehearsed over 100 tunes for the production (e.g. there are fully worked out lighting cues, sequences and backdrop projections). They had payed something like 78 different songs at 15 shows including a couple of new songs when last I heard from him. He reckons the shows are excellent and very varied so he rarely gets bored ( a curse if the band plays the same set every night for months on end). FWIW there are another 20-odd tunes that are rehearsed to play but are not worked up for production. They'll probably get an airing too :D as they that sort stuff out at soundchecks.

Enjoy the shows. I'm hoping to catch a couple of their UK gigs later this year.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Seen The Cure a couple of times in the past few years, both were excellent shows with Reeves on guitar and superb setlists (always gonna be I guess). Looking forward to the show in Manchester later this year, even if my seats are kinda shitty. Might try and make another show too, but they're damn pricey!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Brian Jonestown Massacre in Leeds next week. Not see them for a while but I have heard great reports from the current shows...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

angelsighs wrote:
just checked her stuff out the other day actually. I decided I need some more singer-songwritery stuff in my collection. I liked what I heard (it was some tracks from Burn Your Fire For No Witness)

(and yeah, I quite fancy her too... :oops: )
It's hard not to fancy her after watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL_3Y4zNnqg She's beautiful.

Burn Your Fire For No Witness is a really great album, been itching to see her live since around that time. I bought it in roughly the same period I also got Marissa Nadler 'July', Weyes Blood 'The Innocents', Jennifer Castle 'Pink City', which are all really good if you haven't checked them already.

Angel Olsen's new song is a change of direction, synth led rather than guitar. I like it a lot, gives off a Twin Peaks vibe, touch of Chromatics about it as well with the big synth lines near the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r248o_rUfKE
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Brian Jonestown Massacre in Glasgow tonight, led to believe they`re doing a 3 hr set, never sat through a 3 hr set before, and now in to week 3 of a mini heat wave, the Barrowland is sure to be a total sweat box, should be quite a night.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Neil Young + Promise of The Real.
Leeds Arena tonight.
Can't wait. :D
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

niamhm wrote:Brian Jonestown Massacre in Glasgow tonight, led to believe they`re doing a 3 hr set, never sat through a 3 hr set before, and now in to week 3 of a mini heat wave, the Barrowland is sure to be a total sweat box, should be quite a night.
The heat has been fantastic - the fact that it coincided with time off was just the best.

How did gig go? Did they do a 3 hour set?? Sounds more like Springsteen than BJM...
O P 8
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Neil Young for me in Leeds also. No doubt the M62 wll screw the journey as best it can
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yes Bza they did play the best part of 3 hr, starting at 7.30 sharp to a half empty Barrowlands, tbh we were lucky to get their on time and I think a lot of people were late, by the back of 8 a good crowd was in, probably just under sold out. Actual gig was terrific, kinda split into two halfs that really built up, they really do have some fantastic songs and a lot of love was in the room for the band and yes it was warm, very warm.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Tomorrow, The Stone Roses in Manchester with my eldest. His first proper gig. I hope it will go smoothly with him, he's really excited and loves the Roses... So we will see.

M
Design.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Cult Of Dom Keller and a couple of local bands this Sunday in Glasgow. You wait patiently for a band to come north to see them and then you get to see them twice in 6 months! Feeling honoured! :D Just hope there is a decent turn out for them...
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

glasto!

here's the full lineup..
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/l ... 016/?stage
can anyone give me recommendations on who to see?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

moop wrote:glasto!

here's the full lineup..
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/l ... 016/?stage
can anyone give me recommendations on who to see?

Jagwa Ma and Floating Points!
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

spunder wrote:Jagwa Ma and Floating Points!
cheers - i've circled them both. rather conveniently jagwar ma is before kurt vile and floating points leads into mercury rev and m83, so that's a few for saturday at least.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

BJM in Brighton on Wednesday night and, judging from the reports on here of their shows so far,looks like it should be a cracker of a gig :D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

MODLAB wrote:Tomorrow, The Stone Roses in Manchester with my eldest. His first proper gig. I hope it will go smoothly with him, he's really excited and loves the Roses... So we will see.

M

so how was it then?! I was at Heaton Park in 2013 and it was a very positive experience, reading and receiving several reports from Etihad which are all good, even All For One sounded alright apparently :-)
robotoilet
Known user

Post by robotoilet »

Sonic Boom @Oslo Hackney
Rangda + Ben Chasny with guest Rick Tomlinson from Voice of the Seven Thunders @Cafe OTO
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

robotoilet wrote:Sonic Boom @Oslo Hackney
Rangda + Ben Chasny with guest Rick Tomlinson from Voice of the Seven Thunders @Cafe OTO
I am jealous on both counts... both acts that rarely play shows
I tried to make it to one of the Rangda dates but it's not possible. Voice of the Seven Thunders are a great band too.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Telescopes agin this weekend in Glasgow with St Deluxe as his support and backing band.

Saw them all in January and they were astonishingly good and equally as loud! Really looking forward to this again.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I'm going to see Sonic Boom at Hebden Bridge on Friday this week. Looking forward to it.
Don't know anything about the venue but I note that Moon Duo are playing there next month - so presumably it's not a tiny place?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I live very close by, capacity is around 180. I saw Saint Etienne there the other night. It gets some amazing shows for its size, people just love to stop off there. It is by far one of my favourite venues, great bar and good views, the people who run it are great too. Unfortunately I can't make the show anymore, really gutted about that :(
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Payed weekly, decent wage this week, couple of tickets for Goat purchased,end of October, never seen them so farso looking forward to this, might take my daughter, certainly noy Mrs M. as she HATES Goat :) Think It might be the female `singers`
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

niamhm wrote:Payed weekly, decent wage this week, couple of tickets for Goat purchased,end of October, never seen them so farso looking forward to this, might take my daughter, certainly noy Mrs M. as she HATES Goat :) Think It might be the female `singers`
Hoping to be in attendance at this too Gary. They were great the last time.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Sun Kil Moon tomorrow, Pet Shop Boys in February!
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

P J Harvey - Copenhagen in October
mooseandhobbes
New user

Post by mooseandhobbes »

Levitation France in Angers

FRIDAY, SEPT 16
THEE OH SEES • SILVER APPLES • FÖLLAKZOID • ZOMBIE ZOMBIE • SONIC BOOM • GOLDEN DAWN ARKESTRA • YAK • KLAUS JOHANN GROBE • LA HELL GANG • TAU • SHERAF

SATURDAY, SEPT 17
LA FEMME • THE LIMIÑANAS • DEAD MEADOW • ALEX MAAS (THE BLACK ANGELS) • THE UNDERGROUND YOUTH • LA MONTE YOUNG TRIBUTE • SUNFLOWER BEAN • YETI LANE • MARIETTA • RATS ON RAFTS • BANTAM LYONS
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Low on Wednesday in Liverpool, Kraftwerk on Saturday/Sunday in Oslo
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Anyone knows of any good band playing in NYC area between 26-31 of August? My friend is coming over to see me and while I'm clicking through songkick calendar I don't recognize 99% of the names. Any pointers much appreciated!

While we appreciate many kinds of music, I certainly don't want to end up at some stupid show where a bunch of skinny models with leather pants trying to emulate New York Dolls so badly I want my ears pop out. Yes I'm referring to an actual event that happened to me..

More on the topic of the thread, I've got tickets to Bunnymen and Lush (the next day, same venue!) in Chicago. Hesitating to get tickets to Lush in Detroit as it's on Monday. Anyone going?
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Low at the Brudenell on Friday :D
'Remember, change is not good'
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

BVCP206 wrote:Low at the Brudenell on Friday :D
I had a ticket for Low tomorrow night in Liverpool but gave it away :cry: as I'm off to get some sun instead :D .
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I'll soon be off to get some sun too - but not before I see SFA at the Kelvingrove bandstand tomorrow night 8) :D
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Off to see the amazing Cosmic Dead in Brighton tonight 8) :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

suskind wrote:Anyone knows of any good band playing in NYC area between 26-31 of August? My friend is coming over to see me and while I'm clicking through songkick calendar I don't recognize 99% of the names. Any pointers much appreciated!

While we appreciate many kinds of music, I certainly don't want to end up at some stupid show where a bunch of skinny models with leather pants trying to emulate New York Dolls so badly I want my ears pop out. Yes I'm referring to an actual event that happened to me..

More on the topic of the thread, I've got tickets to Bunnymen and Lush (the next day, same venue!) in Chicago. Hesitating to get tickets to Lush in Detroit as it's on Monday. Anyone going?
I took this as a good challenge as I like to think I can find a good gig anywhere, but you're not wrong! I can't see much worthwhile on at that time which is surprising :?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

suskind wrote:Anyone knows of any good band playing in NYC area between 26-31 of August? My friend is coming over to see me and while I'm clicking through songkick calendar I don't recognize 99% of the names. Any pointers much appreciated!

Not sure if it`s your bag at all, but if I was on my holidays and our paths crossed I would fancy going to see Prophets Of Rage, RATM/Public Enemy/Cypress Hill super group, playing a couple of NY shows that week.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Synthcurious are putting on some more gigs in Coventy (they are the promoters who brought Sonic Boom there last year), and Hans-Joachim Roedelius (from Cluster/Harmonia) is playing. should be good for something different as I don't go to a lot of electronic gigs.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard and Thee Oh Sees in early September

Angel Olsen in October

Hiss Golden Messenger (currently obsessed with his Poor Moon and Bad Debt albums, pure beauty) and Psychic Ills in December