I'd rather tell you about......Psychic Ills

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

I'd rather tell you about......Psychic Ills

Post by spzretent »

Their new Lp. Inner Journey Out, is out and while not one to blow you away it is a rather gorgeous affair. Loads of easy going psych with a pedal steel guitar thrown in for good measure. Hope Sandoval makes an appearance as well.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Re: I'd rather tell you about......Psychic Ills

Post by angelsighs »

I love me some pedal steel (one of my favourite sounds). will check this out.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

this is quite good. http://livebootlegconcert.blogspot.co.u ... hic%20Ills

haven't heard the new album will check it out, they are guilty of one or 2 very dull albums though!

I still think Dins is their best.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I picked it up on the limited 'desert haze' vinyl edition over the weekend after streaming it, and loving it, on Friday. Sides 3 and 4 have a couple of really great 5min+ songs. Overall it's a very good summery psych album with touches of country and gospel. My first purchase of theirs so can't vouch for previous efforts but this one is really enjoyable, lovely vibe throughout.

Still streaming here amongst other places http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/s ... urney-out/
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spunder wrote:
haven't heard the new album will check it out, they are guilty of one or 2 very dull albums though!

I still think Dins is their best.
One mans dull is another mans pleasant aural experience. Psychic Ills are not a band who will blow you away. The songs kind of float along in this hazy sort of psych.
Hazed Dream is pretty excellent imho.
I love them.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Must admit I don't know the Psychic Ills, but listening to the latest album via that stream I'm going to check them out! Really like it!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

johnnyboy wrote:I picked it up on the limited 'desert haze' vinyl edition over the weekend after streaming it, and loving it, on Friday.
Hey johnnyboy, may I ask where you picked up the "desert haze" vinyl edition? I've tried Resident, Piccadilly and Norman and missed the boat in all 3 :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

spzretent wrote: One mans dull is another mans pleasant aural experience. Psychic Ills are not a band who will blow you away. The songs kind of float along in this hazy sort of psych.
Hazed Dream is pretty excellent imho.
I love them.
indeed, i don't disagree. I have a few live gigs which i enjoy better than their studio stuff . 'Mirror Eye' was particularly disappointing. do you like 'Dins'?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Big fan of One Track Mind & Hazed Dream, not heard the 1st two albums, seem to have picked up the impression they`re a touch different? From what I`ve heard so far of the new one I`m going to be a fan of that as well, I can see how some might find them kinda one dimensional or something, but it works for me, and they seem to have introduced some new shades and moves this time round, cool band.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Shinesalight wrote:
Hey johnnyboy, may I ask where you picked up the "desert haze" vinyl edition? I've tried Resident, Piccadilly and Norman and missed the boat in all 3 :(
Hi, I picked mine up in person from a local record shop where I live and they only had the one copy.

See if it's still here http://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstor ... 53B04CC000

Or here on Discogs for £20 https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/352637455

It's a nice colour vinyl but does have a bit of surface noise going on, but then most vinyl I buy seems to have some crackles and noise going on. May give it a clean up along with some other recent purchases too (black and coloured vinyl) if I can get my arse in gear.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sacred Bones still had some of the limited packages as of last week. Shipping is crazy to the UK. I ordered Runcible one and am bringing it over in October. Just sent his d/l code which will suffice for a few months.

Also, a big shout out to whomever mentioned Juleah. I have been listening to those two records a lot the last week or two.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Juleah

Yep that would be me. She is great
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

I've been listening to them off and on since 'Dins' came out. For anyone who's enjoyed any of their last few albums I'd say 'Dins' is definitely worth checking out. There was also a singles collection that came out on the Social Registry that might be worth checking out as well, as there were a few really good songs on that that were similar to 'Dins'- there's a Sonic Boom remix floating around of one of those songs too. Most of that early stuff is a bit repetitious, but song-based and the type of psych that's easy to get lost in.

'Mirror Eye' (I think that's what it's called) is the one to avoid- it's a bit too abstract and unfocused.

I didn't realize that the newest record was out- I pre-ordered it from Sacred Bones based on hearing that collaboration with Hope Sandoval and it still hasn't arrived. When I input the tracking number it says it still hasn't shipped and now it's starting to make me nervous. I also have a copy of the first Lovesliescrushing record in the mail that I backed on kickstarter a year ago and was told that was supposed to arrive two days ago. It would be a shame to have two special edition records that I've been anticipating for a long time get lost in the mail.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

definitely want to plug Mirror Eye.

i loved this band (my favourite at the time) up until Hazed Dream where they started doing a 2nd rate BJM/Spacemen thing. more "pop" if you like. DIns was song-based but really psychedelic and after that (with Mirror Eye and the eps Astral Occurrence and Catoptric) they went full on mindfuck psych. if that sounds like your thing, definitely explore them. i was pretty disappointed when they did a 180 after that stuff
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

They're playing here in NYC this weekend.
Considering checking them out.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Cheers Sunray, I shall have a listen to Dins later.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Finally got this on vinyl, woah, looks and sounds amazing, so lush sounding for something so stripped down, and great songs too. Does New Mantra sound like Sun Araw? Eventually settled for the black vinyl, Johhnyboys talk of surface noise on the coloured vinyl settled it for me, way too many recent vinyl purchases coming with surface noise, popping and shit.
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

Gotta say that i just saw them in Tel Aviv 2 weeks ago, and they work so much better live than on the album.
Nothing new musically, but the influences are clear and very well played :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Someone picked up the "desert haze" version of this the other day and, after a couple of listens, I must say I am rather impressed. Can't say I've noticed anything wrong with the sound quality on my copy either. Particularly enjoying the long drawn-out instrumental track with the saxophone which starts side D 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Got to say this new Psychic Ills album is absolutely fantastic. I was initially hesitant but now I'm a tad obsessed with it.

For the unconverted check this out:

BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Coca Cola Blues is a stand out for me :D
'Remember, change is not good'
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

It's really good. Derivative, but good.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:You can get the early stuff here: https://wearethelastbeatniks.com/2011/1 ... chic-ills/
These downloads worked for me a week ago but something seems to have gone wrong with them now...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Desert Haze sounding good on first listen :D
'Remember, change is not good'
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I put my copy of the desert haze vinyl on again last night and the surface noise is definitely audible during the quieter spaced out songs. Having a re-read through this thread again it seems like I'm the only one having problems. May have to exchange it somehow but am well out of date on the receipt front. Not as bad as the surface noise on the new Weyes Blood album I got on Friday, blue splatter vinyl, sounds really bad. Such a shame vinyl can be like this, kind of pushes me back towards buying cd's again I must say, at least you know there'll be know crackles and pops.

Anyways, Psychic Ills are playing London Moth Club on 1st Dec. I have a ticket but can't go as I'm moving flat the same day. It's an e-ticket and I can switch the name on it if anyone would like it? Cost a tenner. Give a shout if you fancy it.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

I had some noise on mine too, in fact the second disc was just about unlistenable. I had the limited pressing from the label and let them know and they were kind enough to send me a replacement. it's better but not a great pressing overall. I don't know who sacred bones is using for a pressing plant, but if they get enough complaints, maybe they'll find someone better
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

bambam wrote:I had some noise on mine too, in fact the second disc was just about unlistenable. I had the limited pressing from the label and let them know and they were kind enough to send me a replacement. it's better but not a great pressing overall. I don't know who sacred bones is using for a pressing plant, but if they get enough complaints, maybe they'll find someone better
Interesting, I'll drop them a line via their Bandcamp page and the Sacred Bones one too, see what they say. They still have desert haze editions on there but might be worth requesting a black one. Cheers.