For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

The Dr
Known user

euro 2016

Post by The Dr »

england squad- rubbish
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: euro 2016

Post by spacemanrich »

Here are the kits for all 24 teams :

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/sh ... 2016-kits/

Spain's away kit looks awful. Belgium and Wales home/away kits don't look too bad.

I'll take Germany then Belgium as my favorites for the tourney.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Is Kane at risk of becoming a diva with all this corners and free kicks nonesense? His general involvement tonight was poor; I thought he'd be a physical match for the two Russian centre halfs and also do them for pace.

Will Sterling find a decisive or incisive pass ever...his end product is poor largely due to his decision making.

Is Joe Hart giving anyone else the sense he has a wobble in him every game? His starting position from corners when his team have opted for a zonal system scared the shit out of me. No mans land for the Russians goal too.

Apart from that the two full backs were excellent and Delli Ali would stroll into any team in the world right now...Dier was equally good. Rooney has found his role for next few years.
Still questions over the two centre halfs but they came onto a game and Lallana was very good for a bit.
Shoulders back, smash it
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

for 45 minutes we were world beaters, for the other 45 mins we were lucky. hart said that he wanted england to peak for the russia game- seems he got his wish for the first 45 mins...

i'm fed up with hodgeson now- i supported him until he started leaving out players in form for injured players and playing players out of posisiton. we can finish third and get through but based on yesterday we will be lucky to be in the top two. wales were great and slovakia unlucky

i'm looking forward to seeing germany

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Stuart X.Hunter wrote:Is Kane at risk of becoming a diva with all this corners and free kicks nonesense?

Will Sterling find a decisive or incisive pass ever...his end product is poor largely due to his decision making.
Can't understand why the main striker is taking corners rather than standing in the six yard box. Very odd.

Since he left Liverpool i'd forgotten how frustrating Sterling can be. He reminds me of Tony Daley.

Really looking forward to the Wales game on Thursday. Wonder will the 'fans' try it on at that one?

Hopefully Ireland get at least a draw against Sweden tomorrow!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

England and Russia might not play another match if the incident in Marseilles happens again :

" Throwing a nation out of a tournament is an unprecedented step, but UEFA is right to go that far if England and Russia fans misbehave again. " :shock:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I know there were plenty of flaws about the Russia game but seriously guys - that's the best performance in a tournament match for some time. Just think of the second rate games at the last World Cup - at least there was some direction, passion and purpose on Saturday. Should have been 2-0 up by half time and then shut it down. That's the naivety of a young and relatively inexperienced side. But there's some promise at least - they just need to keep that momentum going. Substituting Rooney - who was outstanding - was obviously an error, but then a team of that quality should have been able to hold on for another 90 seconds...

The scenes on the streets of Marseilles were horrible. Why that core of nastiness has to spoil it for so many is always mysterious. It looked like a load of booze-soaked idiots which I guess is probably what it was.The Russian yobs were more sinister as their attack on the England fans at the final whistle looked really frightening and indiscriminate - and also planned. God knows what the next World Cup will be like.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I've spoken before on here about my love of Italian football and.. I'm gonna do it again!
Loved that tonight. Classic performance. Rode their luck at times, but really pelle should've made it 2-0 & over before half time & don't think the 2-0 scoreline flattered them.

Belgium were shambolic, no team ethos got what they deserved.

Thought Ireland played well unlucky not to win, just weaknesses exposed (Clarke). We'll see, still confident.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

runcible wrote:I know there were plenty of flaws about the Russia game but seriously guys - that's the best performance in a tournament match for some time. Just think of the second rate games at the last World Cup - at least there was some direction, passion and purpose on Saturday. Should have been 2-0 up by half time and then shut it down. That's the naivety of a young and relatively inexperienced side. But there's some promise at least - they just need to keep that momentum going. Substituting Rooney - who was outstanding - was obviously an error, but then a team of that quality should have been able to hold on for another 90 seconds...

The scenes on the streets of Marseilles were horrible. Why that core of nastiness has to spoil it for so many is always mysterious. It looked like a load of booze-soaked idiots which I guess is probably what it was.The Russian yobs were more sinister as their attack on the England fans at the final whistle looked really frightening and indiscriminate - and also planned. God knows what the next World Cup will be like.
possibly the best for ten years or so but that is really not saying much :lol: good ol' english media though shearer- kane can win the golden boot. shearer- kane is on his last chance :wink: :roll:

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jack white wrote: Belgium were shambolic, no team ethos got what they deserved.

Thought Ireland played well unlucky not to win, just weaknesses exposed (Clarke). We'll see, still confident.
Is it possible people think Belgium are great simply because we recognise the names of all their players from the premier league? I don't rate them myself but i'm sure they'll up their game against us on Saturday.

Decent performance from Ireland, but if you don't take your chances.... I'd like to see a bit more composure from them when they take a lead, they really lost the heads for a good 20 minutes. As for Sweden? Pretty shit really.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

sunray wrote:[

Is it possible people think Belgium are great simply because we recognise the names of all their players from the premier league? I don't rate them myself but i'm sure they'll up their game against us on Saturday.

ranked #2 by fifa

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Dr wrote: ranked #2 by fifa
Didn't England hold a similar ranking not too long ago? :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A deafening silence here after the England Wales game! It's interesting to see England dominate games like they have but without being able to finish things off. I think we were pretty fortunate yesterday despite the possession and superiority. Wales could have snatched it quite easily. But Roy got the substitutions right - I doubt Sterling will appear again as he has been consistently poor - and the result was deserved. Some very good refereeing too - I was sure Vardy was offside but the linesman knew he wasn't. Makes for an interesting final game anyway on Monday night.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Re England/Wales I laughed so hard at this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/pi ... -euro-2016 people had to stop and ask me what I was laughing at, it put me in a state.

By the time I got to the "all of them" panel I'd burst.
sunray wrote:

Decent performance from Ireland, but if you don't take your chances.... I'd like to see a bit more composure from them when they take a lead, they really lost the heads for a good 20 minutes. As for Sweden? Pretty shit really.
That draw vs Sweden look a real disappointment & has proven to be a real missed opportunity.

Walters was a big loss today.
Thought the ref was weak & that indirectly led to their goal: Ireland should've had a penalty for high foot on Long, Belgium went down the field and scored. But Ireland's limitations & weak spots were sadly exposed. I thought if Ireland made it difficult for them, if Belgium couldn't win easily/didn't get any soft oaks, then there was a chance Belgium would crumble, unfortunately Ireland made it easy for them.

Good game on at the minute here, Iceland vs Hungary..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

ronaldo misses penalty as portugal draw...small game mentality

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spacemanrich wrote:Spain's away kit looks awful.
WTF? I have just seen that kit.

They look like a stag party that has had a messy night out which climaxed with a kebab followed by a bloody-nose punch-up on the way home.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Haha had to flick over there to see the Spain top that's a classic

This other match has been great, brutal stuff decorated by a wonderful performance from this 18yo Turkish boy emre mor.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote: WTF? I have just seen that kit.

They look like a stag party that has had a messy night out which climaxed with a kebab followed by a bloody-nose punch-up on the way home.
Looks like a messy collaboration of two Scotland strips...

and

And not in a good way!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nicely put Runcie.

Scotland's kit by Adidas doesn't look too bad to me, in fact I like it. It's the kit by Umbro that looks like it got clawed by a Scottish Lion.

On a serious note, haven't watch any of the matches ........ no cable. But I have kept tabs on the fixture results. Italy looks strong and Germany and Belgium are just getting started. Wales might be the underdog here in this tourney ?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

sunray wrote:
Didn't England hold a similar ranking not too long ago? :wink:
well, they (england) do very well in qualifying against rubbish teams :wink:

re: spain kit- i have shirts like that! one of the virtues of eating pasta and being messy is that you save money on sport's ware :D

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

ps the first scotland shirt makes me think of hotdogs and mustard, well it is scotland :wink: :lol:

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

V concerned for Ireland tonight, lineup looks poor.. Hope I'm very very wrong. The Italian lineup has a fair few weaknesses too but Ireland will need a huge change in form to get a result.

A cheer for Iceland btw. Brought a bit of joy into the day. Delighted for them, amazing stuff.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

try the bbc website- maybe you can stream live commentary from there spacemanrich?

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:V concerned for Ireland tonight, lineup looks poor.. Hope I'm very very wrong. The Italian lineup has a fair few weaknesses too but Ireland will need a huge change in form to get a result.

A cheer for Iceland btw. Brought a bit of joy into the day. Delighted for them, amazing stuff.

you must be gutted :wink: :lol: :D :P

thrilled for iceland too- iceland-england! give roy the cold shoulder :wink:

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

In fairness, Ireland were lucky to come up against that Italy team. Italy were completely nonplussed, clearly had their minds on their Spain game. Still Ireland played ok & actually I would fancy their chances against France if they play with the same aggression & determination..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:In fairness, Ireland were lucky to come up against that Italy team. Italy were completely nonplussed, clearly had their minds on their Spain game. Still Ireland played ok & actually I would fancy their chances against France if they play with the same aggression & determination..

you're sounding very english...

i thought ireland did well, it was like a third division club going to the big boys in the cup and going 'hell, let's just go for it, who cares?!'

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

By half time I was convinced it was going to be yet another glorious failure. Fantastic though.

I quite fancy Iceland to do England.

Shaping up to be an all-Ireland final :wink: :D
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Italy played it dirty and reaped a fitting reward,
definitely the most enjoyable match of the euros so far by far.

GET IN!
Attachments
Ted_kicks_Bishop_Brennan.jpg
Ted_kicks_Bishop_Brennan.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 29721 times
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Hedspace wrote:Italy played it dirty and reaped a fitting reward,
definitely the most enjoyable match of the euros so far by far.

GET IN!

Haha I thought Ireland were just as dirty. Coleman coulda been booked in the first minute & there were another two tackles shortly after that from Irish lads that warranted yellows from the ref.. My friend said to me he could see a red card coming for Ireland, thankfully they cooled the jets a little.. Could defo see Roy Keanes influence last night.. Ireland gave as good as they got I thought.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

2nd time in 2 days those sheep shagging bastards have knocked Norn Iron out of Europe.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Prior to todays match James Nesbit and Jim McDonald turned me into a Wales fan
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Gareth Scores ! Not Bales this time, tho'. Wales will go deep in the knockout stages.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Holy shit.. Bring on England! Or Iceland!

That was an amazing start. Couldn't get out of our half from the kick off then suddenly long ball & pen fuckin perfect!
Robbie Brady is having some tournament.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Book him referee! Handsome French bastard, what's he got to complain about?!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Griezmann's tore us a new one here.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:Book him referee! Handsome French bastard, what's he got to complain about?!
maybe they should,have used him on the remain posters :wink: :lol:

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Arrgh, even the Slovakians are determined to get out of Europe as fast as possible.....
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Didn't I tell you that the Krauts and Waffles will start off slowly. Did a proper thrashing of Slovakia and Hungary tonite.
Italia should take care of Espana tomorrow nite. Italia could be a surprise along with Wales in the tourney.

Don't like the expanded format from 16 to 24 teams, Portugal shouldn't have made it this far.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

North and South both out, fairly crap weekend. Wales were insipid yesterday, dreadful. I've gone right off them after that performance.

France deserved it today. I didn't even think it was a penalty, Long was clever but there was no foul imo. Terrible defending for the two French goals but at least we put in a decent performance overall.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

sunray wrote:France deserved it today. I didn't even think it was a penalty, Long was clever but there was no foul imo.
Well done France. Looking likely we'll see them in the finals.
Eire-voir :(
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I love watching England.

Best one ever.

Thanks for rescuing 2016.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Huh, Iceland with a population close to Leicester takes down England. Didn't know they played football, hockey more like it.

Sarcasm, there Jack White ?

The Vikings will beat France - their luck is just about to end.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

No sarcasm from me mate. I'm ecstatic!
I love watching England. They've given me so many great moments down the years. This one goes to the top of the list tho!

BBC 1 22:50 for some superb viewing!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Oh my, that's the funniest thing I've seen in many a year! I watched the game, but I'll definitely be watching MoTD too :)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Gets better every time you see it. Iceland shoulda had 3 or 4! England didn't create one clear cut chance after their goal. Iceland thoroughly deserved it.
Looking forward to hearing from Shearer..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

sunray wrote: I quite fancy Iceland to do England.
Ah the smugness :wink:
The only shock about that result is that people were so surprised. If history has taught us anything it's that last night's match was exactly the type of game England specialise in losing, i.e. Nailed on favourites against a team of 'minnows'.

Enjoying the handwringing, the realisation that English players are average and that the Premier League is successful because of all the foreigners in it. Of course come the World Cup they'll be world beaters again and the players are obviously brilliant because they play in the most exciting and richest league in the world...blah...blah...blah

In saying all that I find tournaments become slightly less interesting when England go out. Even if their actual games are usually utter shite.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

The Dr wrote:england squad- rubbish

what he said :wink:

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

What a nice turn of events : Wales beating Belgium. Truly a shocker, it is the 88th minute and they are up 3-1. Didn't see that happening. Belgium is loaded with great players and I anticipated that they should go far in this tourney. Now, it is Iceland's turn on Sunday.

Crickey. Won't be able to watch the German vs. Italia game tomorrow. I'll try and catch Iceland vs. France.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Best game of the tournament so far imo, Wales put in an immense performance, thoroughly deserving the win and putting the one man team notions to bed, what a shift from Ledley and Allen and the build up play and execution of the `Cruyff Turn ` by Robson - Kanu must be up for goal of the tournament, a very talented Belgium just couldn`t break Wales, sure they rode their luck at times but so did Belgium, Fellani being lucky to finish the game, so much better a game than the previous evening where I fell asleep and didn`t find out till this morning that Portugal had won the bore-fest, god I so hope Wales beat Portugal.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

"It's virtually a win for England innit mate? Well, they all play here, Bale learned his trade here. Fucking hell, most of them voted with us to leave the EU! ENG-ER-LAND ENG-ER-LAND ENG-ER-LAND...."

After their performance against Northern Ireland I had lost a little bit of love for Wales as they were absolute muck in that game. Tonight though I was back on board from the off. Great game, quality goals and high tempo throughout.
I too hope they beat Portugal, who have been rubbish. Also I'd love to see Ronaldo's face as he loses to a team he probably has nothing but contempt for :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Portugal has been running on luck. I, too hope Wales beat them. Then it'll be Iceland and Wales beating the mighty Portuguese. I'd bet that Ronaldo if they lose won't shake players hands again. I like what the Icelandic manager said after the match, " no wonder people like Messi better than Ronaldo " :P
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Expected Wales to win. Only surprise was Robson-Kanu didn't think he had it in him.

Belgium have no balls and no brains.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

BBC Radio Wales commentator Rob Phillips tells his family live on air that he’ll be extending his stay in France after Wales reached the semi-finals.

Phillips, who was commentating at the Stade Pierre Mauroy as Wales beat Belgium 3-1 in the quarter-final, said: “If the kids are listening, put the bin out on Monday, I won’t be home.”
:D

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Didn't get to watch the match nor keep tabs on it until the end. The Icelandic dream is finished tonite. Definately going to watch the Germany v. France match this week. Let's see if Wales can continue to the Finals.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

lucky iceland beat england- if france turn them over 5-2 imagine what the score would have been had england been there :?

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

the best team crash out to a bad penalty and a mistake. sad :( let's hope they stuff the portugese now

spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The Germans were in the match, in fact dominating the first half until ............. the handball. Second consecutive handballs by Germany - Boateng against Italia and now tonite. That turned the tide around and Germany couldn't recover.

I'll take France in the Final.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Since this tourney is wrapping up I was curious to see what country will host in 2020 and it surprised me. I guess in 2020 it will be the 60th anniversary of the uefa or euro cup and they are hosting it in 13 european countries and the semis and finals will be held at wembley stadium. Dublin, Eire is one of the cities that will be holding matches and the article didn't say what other host cities are? I hope this is a one-off as I like the whole tourney to be held in a specific country just like it is now and the world cup.

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/dublin-w ... o-2020-bid
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Allez Les Blues!

Tho I have a bad feeling about this.. Portugal are streetwise enough to do them & I fear their name may be on the trophy..
Always a shame when you can't support the underdog, cheer on a country that's never won it.. But fuck who could support that shower?! Anyone but Ronaldo! Anyone but Pepe!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

sad about ronaldo in terms of the game. what a boring 74 minutes so far.

KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

This match is absolute shite

This tournament has been largely absolute tripe

Football is just so dull these days

To paraphrase a Danny Baker quote from the other night - Boxing used to be vital, the prize fights absolutely unmissable and universally watched. Then it got bloated by money and a lack of spectacle. Is happening to football, will wither on the vine. It's completely lost it.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

disapointing end to a disapointing tournament

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Ack that auld talk is nonsense (Re Danny baker/kingharry). Rose tinted nonsense. I suppose in the glory days in the 60's 70's 80's before sky every game & tournament were brilliant free flowing football. Gimme a break. Today's football is light years ahead of that old plodding crap.

Yea this tournament has been poor enough tho.

This match was shite & indicative of the tournament as a whole but there's reasons for it that have nothing to do with money or how great football was in the past.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote: This match was shite & indicative of the tournament as a whole but there's reasons for it that have nothing to do with money or how great football was in the past.
i think one of the biggest problems was the new expanded tournament- a team can finish third with three draws- one win in 90 mins and lift the cup...maybe next time a team can loose three games, finish fourth and lift the cup...

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote: i think one of the biggest problems was the new expanded tournament- a team can finish third with three draws- one win in 90 mins and lift the cup...maybe next time a team can loose three games, finish fourth and lift the cup...
Partly yea. Too many teams willing to sit back, defensive football was rewarded with that system rather than attacking, creative ball playing teams.

Can't begrudge Portugal as a nation. Been long overdue, great football nation. Horrible team they've done it with tho, bunch of wankers!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Wake me up when it's over ... :cry: