Optimal humidity for record storage?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

bbbhenko
Known user

Optimal humidity for record storage?

Post by bbbhenko »

As the kids are growing and in need of more space, I plan to move my vinyl into a recently built music room in our garage. I am a bit concerned about the fluctuations in the humidity of the air in that room however - I really don't want to damage my treasured collection... :? There are plenty of cheap options for air humidity readers, and also many cheap options for drying the air with salt traps etc. My main question is what an acceptable humidity range would be? When is it high enough that problems may occur? And can the air ever be too dry?? Any info or thoughts about this would be highly appreciated :)
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Optimal humidity for record storage?

Post by semisynthetic »

This has worked for a very long time for me, and I offer and recommend this method.

I have seen 45 - 50% Humidity as a Proper Setting for as long as I can recall. If the area is too dry, this is bad on Jackets, and will eventually cause damage to assorted sleeves. I keep my Library and Music Rooms, and rooms of assorted collections at this range, but I manage it by the thermostat; every "humidity device" I have tried or seen is flawed. The Music and other rooms are maintained at a constant 68-71 F maximum, except in the winter when it may be necessary to adjust to 71-72 F to maintain the 45% - 50% Humidity. Naturally the size of the space and movement of the air helps dictate the Ideal Temperature, which may be different for a single room.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
bbbhenko
Known user

Re: Optimal humidity for record storage?

Post by bbbhenko »

Thanks a lot for this! :D I tried to google but didn't find much, other than that ~50% relative humidity is recommended for paper archives. My experience so far is also that this means that I need to heat the room to avoid too high humidity levels, to around the temperatures you mention.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Optimal humidity for record storage? Adventitious Water

Post by semisynthetic »

This question reminded me of "Adventitious Water". (From the Latin, adventus, "to come from without"), is a term that refers to the ubiquitous nature of water - for even a flame-dried glass flask containing a drying agent may still contain enough water to destroy the chance for a desired chemical reaction; many successful syntheses depend upon the absolute LACK of water. Simple syntheses like Grignard Reactions, and more complex organometallic reactions are destroyed or stopped in the presence of incredibly minute amounts of water; this arcanely named "Adventitious Water" is real and destructive. So I would suggest we all take care to maintain our collections optimally. It is sad to see a rarity or much loved recording show mildew or dry rot!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus