Ladies and Gentlemen, I am Floating in Homeownership

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

toomilk
Known user

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am Floating in Homeownership

Post by toomilk »

I just had an offer on a house accepted by a seller. It's a wonderful little place, with a garage converted into a studio/workspace that will be perfect for listening to records. No backyard to speak of, but a lot of nice planters in the front. Built in 1927 (OLD for southern California), Spanish-style with lots of character. Neighborhood is "up-and-coming." It's walking distance to the venue I see most of my shows at. Price is a little ridiculous, but will probably only go up.

I'm half excited/half scared shitless. Will I be able to travel again anytime soon? Will this be the end of my record-collecting days? Am I mature enough to own a house? Do I even deserve to be in this position? Will this be the beginning of something much more beautiful and worthwhile or the beginning of the end?

Anyone else been here? Advice greatly appreciated.
The Dr
Known user

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, I am Floating in Homeownership

Post by The Dr »

i've not 'been there' but it sounds wonderful, congratulations! i can't see a single drawback- unless you were thinking of moving around- to setting up roots in a place that seems perfect for you. if you weren't terrified then it would matter- you're very lucky, sir. enjoy it for all it is worth!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Congratulation toomilk!! Enjoy your new house, It sound`s great from your description. It is a big commitment, but you get used to it, so maybe a few albums need to slip by, worth it I say.
Last edited by niamhm on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Been a homeowner for a long time. If you are going to buy now is the time with interest rates so low.
Enjoy your new home.
By the way my house was also built in 1927. I am also able to travel. So there! :D
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I think this is Great! Congratulations and enjoy what is YOUR OWN HOME. Like anything worth having, there are hassles, but worth it. Wonderful, and I am proud and very happy for you.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Great new Kevin. Congratulations.

I was a home owner at the tender age of 19 (just before the UK housing boom), so was fortunate to double my money on that first house and allow our ever growing family to live comfortably (ish) in a larger property.
Im super careful on bills, tariffs, energy usage, you name it......however that has yet to extend to my record buying which continues to (as my wife informs me) "take the piss" :D

Enjoy, its a great move for you by the sounds, look forward to some pictures on facebook and Instagram
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spzretent wrote: By the way my house was also built in 1927.
ah those were the days- plant your flag, build your ranch. as woody guthrie said 'this land is my land/i have a shotgun'
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i'd be going through the exact same emotions as you Kevin! total joy and total terror. officially an adult huh? :)

being born in the wrong generation who have been shafted by the babyboomers, I have come to except the fact that barring a lottery win I am unlikely to become a property owner :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

If you can afford to do it, and deal with the stresses of the first couple of years of home ownership (maintenance costs are a feckin' nightmare for example) it'll be the best long-term financial decision you ever made.

I do miss the old days when renting and moving house/country regularly meant we had a very simple lifestyle with little clutter. The wife and I either travelled all over the place or were out all the time at gigs/theaters/pubs etc.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I canceled the escrow on the 1927 house after the home inspection revealed an insane amount of repairs needed (which the seller was not willing to fix). Close to getting another one in a better neighborhood that was built in 1925. Fingers crossed!