Last five albums/lp's you bought?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

angelsighs
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by angelsighs »

Laughing Stock is gorgeous as well, however I much prefer Spirit of Eden. I know many people feel the opposite way, and feel that LS was a further progression.

then there's the Mark Hollis solo record, but I must admit I don't play that one too often. it's almost too minimal. I think I love Spirit of Eden as it's got the right balance.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I remember reading a review about that Mark Hollis album years before I'd heard any Talk Talk, and even then it sounded interesting - doesn't it open with minutes of just the ambience of the studio?

One for the list to check out down the line. Laughing Stock was not as immediate for me as Spirit of Eden but repeat plays reveals it's awesomeness!
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah there are large sections of silence/near silence on the Mark Hollis album, including at the beginning and end of the whole record. apparently his thing was to try and capture the performances live in the room with just well placed mics- just trying to capture the natural ambience rather than use artificial reverb. 'recording the room' if you like. a very jazz kind of ethos. although the album is more of a folk/jazz hybrid in terms of sound.

of course, there's also the beginning of Laughing Stock which is simply the tremolo hum of a very very quiet amp. good test for any hifi system :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by BzaInSpace »

Anyway it's been a long time since I was able to post anything lengthy or indeed frequently, such as life has been... for ages it seems. On holiday now so will attempt to finish heaps of stuff I've got in the drafts folder: you've all been warned!

Lengthy and in no way complete, and most of this obtained since February:

VINYL:

PRINCE - HitNRun Phase 2 - can't believe this will be the last Prince music released by the man himself. It's more like a compilation of recent singles and really old tracks re-done, but needless to say, it's essential.

Primal Scream - Mantra For A State Of Mind [RSD 12"] :D

Primal Scream - Live in Japan [Sony 2016 reissue] - what a stunning package. Listened to it last night finally and it sounds fucking incredible. Like a new lease of life compared with the MP3 copy I had previous. Plus the artwork is just awesome - definitely shades of Dark Magus going on there (also recorded live in Japan and only available there commercially for many years as well...?) and the poster and photos are excellent. Triple guitar army overload and the Scream's heaviest album ever! This is what I would play to people who only know the pop hits or dismiss them as lightweight or that kind of nonsense... and totally validated the whole "high energy rock & roll" tag courtesy of Bobby Gillespie.

Led Zeppelin II + IV - [2014 Jimmy Page remasters] - they sound awesome! :wink:

Dion - Born To Be With You (with The Phil Spector Orchestra) [2015 ACE reissue] - Just superb. My favourite song of all-time (probably) and the whole album - first time this album has been issued on vinyl in 41 years... If you don't know this song - and album - you oughta. Much personal significance to me in many ways. Just awesome. ACE are on fire at the moment with reissuing this and releasing:

VA - Bobby Gillespie Presents Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down - fantastic compilation, definitely a real sunday morning thing going on indeed. The Beach Boys sequence that kicks it off after the spooky 'May The Circle Be Unbroken' by the Elevators is amazing, and indeed the choices here are phenomenal: the above mentioned Dion track, Evie Sands 'Anyway That You Want Me', Link Wray, Gene Clark, Gram Parsons, Suicide, the Scream's take of 'Darklands' and The Killer himself. Beautiful sleevenotes from Bobby, and as I got an early copy from the great Monorail Records I also received a signed postcard from him also!

Yeah - essential compilation. He should do more of these... true story: when I spoke to J. Spaceman after the triumphant Brudenell show last year this set had been announced. I suggested he do something similar and he looked at me and said "yeah... I gotta finish this fucking album though..."

Be - One - this needs a proper few spins but initial play sounded pretty mindblowing...

Joy Division - Closer ["cut from the 2007 remaster"]

Wand - Golem - recommended on here. Initially wasn't totally sold - I first thought it could have done with somebody like the presence of Nick Cave, and I still think that the drums are too low in the mix. However - it's ace, so hats off for the mentions here! 'Melted Rope' - Awesome. That drone, like some of those on the last Prodigy LP, plus melodically similar to the amazing outro on 'Relatively' by The Scream. All good...

Alex Smoke - 'Love Under Will' - a weird and often beautiful mix of heavy dystopian beats, weird ambient sounds and fractured vocals... reminds me of Andy Stott, albeit filtered through a Glaswegian Themelic post-technoid mash. There's a quote... A Quietus review got me here. Excellent. Plus, a truly incredible (if explicit) sleeve - the download voucher is handily placed over the most "offensive" part :lol:

CD:

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis [Japanese import]

Arctic Monkeys - AM

Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression - I really like this. Those that weren't sold initially - give it another play. Best Iggy album for a long time IMO!

Jimmy Smith - The Sermon! [2015 remaster] - incredible.

Dan Penn - The Fame Recordings - another ACE reissue that is literally ace... From the sleeve: "Nobody sings Dan Penn like Dan Penn - 24 gems from the mid-60s apprenticeship at FAME, the home of southern soul..." Recommended to me personally by Spaceman. Great fucking album - all mono and recorded at Muscle Shoals 1964-1966.

James Brown - The Payback - to replace a copy I could no longer find. Beautifully balanced between incredible ballads and soul-scorching pure funk. One of JB's many masterpieces I'm saying...

PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project - awesome. Still digesting though. 'The Wheel' remains one of the best things I've heard in a long time.

Suede - Dog Man Star live at The Royal Albert Hall. Annoyingly the CD version only has the album tracks, and not the classic/hits section they played after - that's only on some ridiculously expensive ultra-deluxe box set or something... what I have is brilliant though.

Townes Van Zandt - Legend: The Very Best Of - stunning country soul. Every track is a killer. Primal Scream's astonishing cover of 'To Live is To Fly' brought me here.

Miles Davis & VA - Miles Ahead OST. This is excellent. Choice cuts and edits by Miles spanning decades, some great original tracks by Robert Glasper and various Miles alumni. Plus some quotes from the film - maybe been better with Miles' actual recorded quotes? Not sure if I want to see the film after the review here by JW...

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World

The Clash - The Clash [2013 Sony remaster in replica vinyl sleeve] - I dunno... these guys totally rip off the very early Manics... :lol:

J.J. Cale - Anyway The Wind Blows - The Anthology - double legacy CD thing that takes in his entire discography, and although some of the omissions are unfortunate, a fantastic place to start with.

DIGITAL:

Kendrick Lamar - untitled, unmastered - genius. More jazz!

Azealia Banks - SLAY-Z - "provocative" cover aside, this stuff is just so good. She should lay of social media for a while though, and just focus on her amazing recordings.
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Brian Eno - The Ship
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Frank Zappa - The Lost Episodes
Frank Zappa - Mystery Disc
Frank Zappa - Everything Is Healing Nicely

Filling some holes in the posthumous section of my FZ collection. The new Eno album is wonderful, if anyone's interested: a wonderful melange of prime Eno ambient with his beautiful vocal style. The closing cover of the VU's "I'm Set Free" is utterly gorgeous, too :D
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few recordings and assorted things?

Post by semisynthetic »

Here or on Order; I have not quite unboxed everything.

DAVID BOWIE "Live from the BBC"; a 3LP, trifold-Gatefold Jacket of releases and Outtakes from the BBC; w/ a "Hunky Dory" era Photo-Cover. ROIO; very nice. Not quite certain of the Date. Colored discs.

BRIAN ENO "The Ship" 2016; 2LP Gatefold Set on "Special Vinyl" w/ 4 Lithographs; WARP LP 272; Record Label; UK; sealed. (on order).
.....LP TRACKLIST
.....Side 1. The Ship (part 1)
.....Side 2. The Ship (part 2)
.....Side 3. Fickle Sun
.....Side 4 - Track 1. Fickle Sun: The Hour Is Thin
.....Side 4 - Track 2. Fickle Sun: I'm Set Free

BRIAN ENO "The Ship" 2016; Australia 2LP Gatefold Set on "Clear Vinyl" w/ Lithographs; WARP Label; sealed. (on order). Track Listing is the same as above.

BRIAN ENO "The Ship" 2016; JAPAN Mini-SLEEVE CD w/ BONUS TRACK FOR JAPAN ONLY - "AWAY (6:53)" WARP BEAT RECORDS JAPAN BRC 505; sealed. (on order).
.....Alternative CD TRACKLIST
.....01. The Ship
.....02. Fickle Sun
.....(i) Fickle Sun
.....(ii) The Hour Is Thin
.....(iii) I’m Set Free
.....03. AWAY (BONUS TRACK FOR JAPAN) (on order).
BRIAN ENO "Discreet Music"; EG Label; on Transluscent Pink Vinyl.

VARIOUS ARTISTS - "I'm a Cult Hero Chapter 2" Sampler w/ Brian Eno "Over"; 2015 (still boxed) Not quite ready to unpack until later tonight. I read the Jacket - LPs have A Great Line-up.

COLIN POTTER 2LP SET; (still boxed)

Primal Scream "Live in Japan"; UK Pressing.

THE ASSISTANT 12" EP; White Vinyl Pressing; includes a card of limited info; "cryptic"; Very Interesting. (still boxed)

YOUTH OF AMERICA 7" Single w/ PS; (still boxed)

BALLYHOO - a Music Magazine, among other topics of 1932; w/ a young rascal asking a gentleman "Watch you wife, Mister?" (Originally 15 cents).

Life-masks from Hollywood and New York; prepared for use in make-up for films; an example of "The Hunger" - with a 3D "reproduction" of the likeness of the face of David Bowie 1:1 size; a so-called 1:2 Mask; (made to just in front of the ears); (1) "3D" Mask of Bowie as a young man, and another of him as the later, aging Vampyre; both were made in c. 1983 for "The Hunger" Film. From "The Man Who Fell to Earth", and made in 1975, are 3-D make-up Life-masks and molds from (2) Artists from that film, along with a few more Bowie and other Film examples; all have Exceptional detail.

I have collected both Hollywood/ New York Life-masks for Films or Stagecraft, and 19th Century Death-masks for many years; early examples were made during The War Between the States; and these (early) attempts are very often not nearly as detailed as modern Life-masks. A Truly Outstanding Exception to this is shown in a terrible, and memorable, gruesome Death-mask of a young Confederate Officer who, wounded, froze to death, leaving a very clearly detailed contorted expression in his later reconstituted Mask.

These Death-masks were once popular to any family who could afford it; and many sculptures and paintings you see of famous (and not so famous) people were made not in life, but often with aid from other paintings and their Death-masks. The "3-D" reconstructed mask was often used to create a Bronze Bust, with an artist's help. ***People in earlier centuries tended to not be as squeamish, generally speaking, as people are likely to be today, and Death-masks of Soldiers and little wee ones lost early in life were particularly, by loved ones, kept as the "considered method" of Fond Remembrance and sadness of loss. Later, it was Photography of the little ones especially, as if asleep, were often prominently displayed by the family for others to see; most people did not so easily let go of any life, or a loved one.

***Even the name "Death Mask" is now often seen interchanged with the more "acceptable" Life Mask nomenclature, the meaning dependent upon how the words are used.

Like other rare and "special items", I keep these 19th Century Death-masks stored in Bank safety deposit boxes; some are of very prominent individuals of both the South and North - I obtained them many years ago, each complete w/ Provenance and detailed papers of who the Masks were made from, and the person or persons making the mask, the Place, Date, and the Time. The Modern Hollywood/ NYC Life Masks are sometimes put out for display.

RICHARD III - w/ Sir Laurence Olivier on Criterion DVD. Beautifully restored sound and picture with an additional disc.
Attachments
BALLYHOO 1932 Music and Assorted Magazine of the 1920s and 1930s
BALLYHOO 1932 Music and Assorted Magazine of the 1920s and 1930s
BALLYHOO 1932 Music and Assorted Magazine of the 1920s and 1930s 396cc.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 27752 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 14 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am really pleased to see so much Wonderful Music listed by the Users of this SITE; and happily surprised to see so much of a pleasant nature regarding "Talk Talk". I've had these for some time now, and enjoyed them equally for differing reasons, as it seems many of you have.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Animal Collective - Live at 9:30
Rockettothesky - To Sing You Apple Trees
Rockettothesky - Medea
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Heads/White Hills split 12" (orange vinyl with poster) - Paul Allen tip off that some had been found and were for sale through the Heads merch page. Managed to grab one of very few and saved a fortune on Discog prices.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

DAVID BOWIE "Drive in Saturday"/ "Round and Round"; Danish 7" PS; 1973; "from the new LP Aladdin Sane"; RCA; Wonderful copy. Unique Danish Sleeve.
DAVID BOWIE "Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud"/ "Space Oddity"; Danish 7" PS; 1969. Philips; as new copy; (spare); and a beautiful, very similarly sleeved Dutch copy; (spare). The Dutch copy has a "brighter colored" printing on the obverse.
Attachments
DAVID BOWIE Space Oddity/ Wild-eyed Boy from Freecloud DANISH Sleeve ONLY; on PHILIPS Label; 1st release; "as new"; (spare).
DAVID BOWIE Space Oddity/ Wild-eyed Boy from Freecloud DANISH Sleeve ONLY; on PHILIPS Label; 1st release; "as new"; (spare).
DAVID BOWIE Space Oddity with Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud PHILLIPS LABEL Danish ONLY SLEEVE 1st release 500cc.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 27456 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Paracelsus
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

5 albums arrived in the post on Friday - I haven't had a chance to have a good listen to all of them:

Lake Ruth - Actual Entity: I missed out on the single which I thought was great, so was determined to get a physical copy of this. Really good!
Psychic Ills - Inner Journey Out: Found out about this from the discussion on the other board. Really like it. Probably my fav of the five.
Steve Gunn - Eyes on the Lines: It took me a few listen to get into Way Out Weather, probably the same with this.
Minor Victories - Minor Victories: Not sure, Only listened once though so might grow to love it. Sound a bit of a goth dirge to be honest!
C87 Compilation - Follow up to last years deluxe version of C86. A what-if they had done a real C87. Only managed to listen to the first CD so far. Good stuff!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

stegraham wrote:5 albums arrived in the post on Friday - I haven't had a chance to have a good listen to all of them:

Lake Ruth - Actual Entity: I missed out on the single which I thought was great, so was determined to get a physical copy of this. Really good!
Psychic Ills - Inner Journey Out: Found out about this from the discussion on the other board. Really like it. Probably my fav of the five.
Steve Gunn - Eyes on the Lines: It took me a few listen to get into Way Out Weather, probably the same with this.
Minor Victories - Minor Victories: Not sure, Only listened once though so might grow to love it. Sound a bit of a goth dirge to be honest!
C87 Compilation - Follow up to last years deluxe version of C86. A what-if they had done a real C87. Only managed to listen to the first CD so far. Good stuff!
all of Steve Gunn's albums up to now have been growers for me.. always worth sticking with it though..

I'm not overly impressed with the Minor Victories stuff I've heard either.. it's okay but wish I could hear what other people are hearing..
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Lake Ruth LP (yep really good)
Britta Phillips Luck and Magic LP
Slint Spiderland LP Box set (finally)
Ultimate Painting-Live LP
Fuxa- Very Well Organised 3LP (replace CD version)
Vetiver-Self titled debut LP again replacing CD
Labradford -Scenic Recovery 10"
Various artists- Day dreaming-bedroom ambience 2
Various-Fro Inside the Chocalate Coffin on earworm records 2LP
Clinic-Walking With Thee re-issue LP (replaces CD)

plus lots of 7's from artists such as Fuxa, Windy & Carl, Goat, Six By SEven and loads I can t recall
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Over the last few months, I have seen on this Thread or while shopping, "Psychic" something(s) listed; and for those of you who travel to Iceland, or know of an exceptionally good "Import" Store, I would like to mention some relatively obscure LPs (very likely better known in the UK of "Psychic TV".

I was in error with an EARLIER Post regarding the Dates of this pseudo set.

These specially packaged LPs were pressed in 1984 - in numbers ranging from 1000 to 5000 copies. These early recordings have a Library-like packaging; Black Jackets w/ Artwork & are "Numbered" and categorized; Unclean, New York Scum Haters, For Those Who Do Not, Themes 2, et cetera. These recordings are like drifting back millennia - chants - but with mechanized sounds and drones and assorted sounds and vocalizations that are Unique and decades ahead of their time; I can think of very few LPs that "compare".

These "Set of LPs" ARE VERY MUCH IN THE VEIN of "TRIBAL" (Icelandia).

As with so many bands, they aren't for everyone; but I would suggest at least keeping an eye out for these 4-5 LPs that were packaged as "History", "Ritual", and so on in those Black Jackets with Red and White numbering/ Category/ Title(s) - again, in numbers of 1000 - 5000 copies.

I believe there are many of you who would appreciate these early Icelandic Psychic TV LPs, and you will have a better chance of finding them than those of us who live in the USA. I liked these very much, but these recordings were available in the USA only by "special order", circa 1984-5, but since they were in many ways ahead of their time, they may not have sold well, or, as in the Nordic countries like Sweden, the people liked what they heard THEN. I can only guess.

I looked (sort of quickly) to find a discography, and what I found was woefully incomplete. They were very prolific.

This "set" of Icelandic LPs, (packaged individually, but numbered and Labeled as if they were "a set") are what I recommend; anything after these LPs is a more Circus-like, more complex piece with an entirely different sound, though I do enjoy "Dreams Less Sweet" - but even THIS 1983/4 LP is not at all the same "band" or at least the same sound of the earliest Icelandic releases. It was an LP released repeatedly, I have a Test Pressing 1982: and a 1984 Japanese Special.

It is very difficult for me to comment on (a great deal of this latter catalogue, much of which I own, but I have simply not yet heard the majority of the recordings, and what I DID hear was a dramatic departure from the early "Tribal" chants and assorted, "ambient" methods). These include 7" Sets, 7", 10" & 12" singles, Picture Discs, LPs, assorted Video formats and CDs. I catalogue them as much by Date as by Band for the reasons I mentioned.

I know that Psychic TV was a continuance of the aural experiment of "Throbbing Gristle"; w/ the former being an improvement in what came before it, at least in my humble opinion.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Paracelsus
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Thee Oh Sees - Live In San Francisco - another in the live series from the Castle Face label. Pretty peachy edition this one, double ultra clear vinyl, free white flexi disc featuring a new song PLUS a dvd of the gig itself. Lovely fix for an Oh Sees junkie like me.

Destruction Unit - Sonoran - an earlier release, pre-Deep Trip.

Psychic Ills - Inner Journey Out - desert haze vinyl edition

Marissa Nadler - Strangers - LP came with a cassette, not that I have a cassette player these days

Wrekmeister Harmonies - Night Of Your Ascension
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

DAVID BOWIE "The Laughing Gnome"/ "The Gospel According to Tony Day"; Portugal release, unique Promo 7" Pic Sleeve; I am pleased to (nearly) complete the collection of this silly little Gnome song by Bowie with lovely sleeves of all types from all over the world; ESPECIALLY the Danish, Dutch, Swedish - and Portuguese (with those clam-shell inner-sleeves); I have a great fondness of these increasingly obscure Singles from this part of the World. Instead of "blank", the reverse of this Promo sleeve is loaded with information, but, sadly, I cannot read Portuguese.
By 1973, certain Labels were increasingly less likely to be seen with Bowie, like this example, (on Deram). For years earlier, $tateside or Philips, among others, would have been associated with David Bowie; by 1973 MOST Pressings would read "RCA", but this is an example of the same "1967" UK Gnome Disc used, and the Deram Label retained. The following year, this was re-re-released on RCA with this same Artwork shown here. In fact, a very slight variation of this sleeve is seen with RCA singles in the UK and France. (Actually, this was never released in Portugal before 1973).
This is an "as new" Promo Copy that has been, like so many, put away (thank goodness), and is like new. A Very Heavy Disc, and excellent pressing. (The following 1974 RCA disc is likewise well pressed).
Attachments
DAVID BOWIE The Laughing Gnome PORTUGAL ONLY 1973 The Gospel According to Tony Day
DAVID BOWIE The Laughing Gnome PORTUGAL ONLY 1973 The Gospel According to Tony Day
DAVID BOWIE The Laughing Gnome PORTUGAL ONLY 1973 The Gospel According to Tony Day 500cc.jpg (47.53 KiB) Viewed 27374 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (2CD deluxe version)
The Verve- A Storm In Heaven (deluxe)
The Verve- A Northern Soul (deluxe)
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Kurt Vile - Wakin' on a Pretty Daze (2CD version)
Bardo Pond - Set & Setting
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Walked into a shop in downtown Detroit today that had just purchased a huge 60's and 70's rock collection.
Heavy on the Rolling Stones too.
I picked up the following Stones LPs:
1st Lp mono UK LP
No.2 mono UK LP
Between The Buttons stereo UK LP
Beggars Banquet stereo UK LP
Through The Past Darkly orig hexagon UK laminated sleeve LP
Sticky Fingers alternate cover from Spain with original laminated cover and insert LP
All VG+ to N.Mint.
Sad thing is these were all holes or serious upgrades in my collection. Whether I needed them is another story.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

spzretent wrote:Walked into a shop in downtown Detroit today that had just purchased a huge 60's and 70's rock collection.
Heavy on the Rolling Stones too.
I picked up the following Stones LPs:
1st Lp mono UK LP
No.2 mono UK LP
Between The Buttons stereo UK LP
Beggars Banquet stereo UK LP
Through The Past Darkly orig hexagon UK laminated sleeve LP
Sticky Fingers alternate cover from Spain with original laminated cover and insert LP
All VG+ to N.Mint.
Sad thing is these were all holes or serious upgrades in my collection. Whether I needed them is another story.
All were Great Additions! The Barnes & Noble re-release of the octagonal "Through the Past Darkly" was created with tissue paper; I saw one just few weeks ago - not laminated, pitiful packaging; and the Spanish release - a necessary addition! Ergo, (I would) rephrase your conclusion to "Happily, I filled a few holes in my Stones Collection". (The latest UK re-release of Rolling Stones LPs are very well done, but they too lack the heft and weight of the original jackets. The Japanese still do an excellent job of pressing & packaging).
Personally, I love to start at the beginning with a bands work; a band I like or later like, it is great fun to hear and watch both the evolution of the music, and (usually), the "sound of that band" that may in someway evolve, but still in most ways, stays (remarkably) the same or very similar; The looks can certainly change. The first Stones LP's are a case in point; they begin with a number of cover versions, but they are STILL the Rolling Stones.
Every great band or artist has a unique sound; there are of course great bands who purposely try to "remake" what they do, but I believe the latter is in the minority. When I listen to "Here Comes the Warm Jets", and then Eno's "Another Day on Earth", YEARS LATER, it is still obviously Eno.

I am happy that you obtained ESSENTIAL and necessary releases. :D

(I DID buy the "Through the Past Darkly" re-release I mentioned; the pressing is worth not having "proper (Ideal) packaging").
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

CASSIUS CLAY; "I'm the Greatest"; Taiwan; sealed in paper/ protectant plastic; ironically made for USA GI's in the 1960's; roughly 50 copies pressed.

MUHAMMAD ALI "I'm the Greatest"; Hong Kong; ironically created to fill Taiwan's USA GI Population(!) for demand of the above during the same era as the 1st LP Listed; roughly 100 copies pressed. Sealed in a similar paper/ protectant plastic jacket.

By 1976, The UK & USA each still sent a "sturdier" copy, more like the Jackets we are used to of the same LP to fill orders wherever there were GI's stationed. I now have (5) very different variants. "All written by, for or ABOUT........MUHAMMAD ALI.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Polytechnic Youth Label: They Make No Say (Compilation)
The Band Whose Name Is A Symbol: Box Set
Anthropropff and Big Naturals: S/T
Pete Bassman: Lost in Space ( :D this is excellent. On par with the best stuff he did as Alphastone, which I love. Highly Recommended)
Lake Ruth LP
Psychic Lemon LP on Drone Rock
Kikagaku Moyo: House in the Tall Grass (Limited Coloured Vinyl)

Probably lots more but I can't remember.......
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

DAVID BOWIE "DJ" / "REPETITION"; Spanish Only, Unique PROMO 7" Single w/ Sleeve; This is a great sleeve, (but my computer worketh NOT (to Date). RCA White Label; from a DJ's collection - no surprise there; still sealed and included are Promo Photos & Spanish Data Sheets; 1979.
The songs "DJ" and "REPITITION" make an apt pairing for a single. [Old friends in Radio would often complain about having to hear "the hit of the day" over and over and over.] The Reverse of the Sleeve shows "Low", "Heroes", and "Lodger", almost all of which is written in Spanish, along with their cassette RCA code numbers.

(I also obtained another of the exact release, but opened; it is in the DJ Envelope, but minus the photos and data sheets). Fantastic disc and sleeve; Fortunately, this disc was not played "over and over and over"; Both copies make Wonderful addition(s); - (Spare).
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Steve Gunn- Way Out Weather
Steve Gunn- Eyes On The Lines
Emmylou Harris- Evangeline
Ron Wood & Ronnie Lane- Mahoney's Last Stand aka Faces Ooh La La Pt. 2
The Band- Islands
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

My most recent orders were mainly for a variety of Psychic TV recordings that had been unknown to me. Some were purchased for "spares" of early releases I liked but are obscure; I bought most of these from a dealer I had "lost track of" over time, the same fellow I bought the early recordings from. I have learned a bit more about their History, and learned there was much I did not know. Never enough Time, so much to learn and sort out.
The 1st Psychic TV release, a 2LP set, "Left to the Hand of Chance", 1982, was one of the more interesting of these purchases; (1) UK Set & (1) Japanese Pressing Set.

DAVID BOWIE "Alabama Song" / "Space Oddity"; 7" single German Release; Pic Sleeve; 1980; RCA 9510. Great Pic Sleeve; (this sleeve was "borrowed" for use by the Yugoslavian release). Very different from the images used on the 12" singles.
DAVID BOWIE "Alabama Song" / "Space Oddity"; 7" single French Release; alternate Pic Sleeve;
1980; RCA 9510. + (1) Sealed Copy of the same for export; (spare).

DAVID BOWIE "Yassassin"/ "Repitition"; Dutch 7" single; Pic Sleeve is a variant if the Spanish "DJ"/ "Repitition" sleeve; RCA (9417) Label. 1979. (NOS)
DAVID BOWIE "Yassassin"/ "Repitition"; Yugoslavian 7" single; alt. Pic Sleeve. Jugoton Label; 1980.

THROBBING GRISTLE "SPECIAL TREATMENT" - Live at the Cryptic One, 1978"; UK pressing; 1978. Pre-Psychic TV. This LP has "the look" of the Library-Like Packaging of later Psychic TV releases; I don't yet know if this was an Icelandic release; (sealed).

PSYCHIC TV - Live in Paris LP Packaged similarly to the "Set of 5" LPs from 1987; it appears this LP along with 13 others are a sort of "set" of their own - 14 LPs of Live Recordings from around the world. This is an interesting band; experimental and theatrical; it has evolved over time to include many acts within a single "Band". This example is c. 1986-7. Pressed in the UK; On Temple Records - (TOPY 14).
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Music buying for a gloomy day:

Aphex Twin - Cheetah EP
Hammock - Oblivion Hymns
Kara-lis Coverdale - Aftertouches
Kara-lis Coverdale - A 480
Kara-lis Coverdale - Triptych I
Julianna Barwick - Will
Britta Phillips - Luck Or Magic
Huerco S. - For Those Of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
Haiku Salut - Etch And Etch Deep
Trondheim Jazz Orchestra & Kim Myhr - In The End His Voice Will Be The Sound Of Paper (featuring Jenny Hval)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

It's been awhile since I ordered "Truly New" 78rpm discs; but now I have an order of "New Old Stock", unplayed 78rpm discs in the correct sleeves on its way from Argentina. Delayed for some reason, but I expect that all will be fine. I've purchased well over 2 hundred 10" & 12" 78rpm discs from this dealer over quite a few years, and so far, not one damaged (or even apparently played) disc. Amazing.

The List I was sent contains only the Artists, but no titles. (Mainly) 1950's, some 1940's 78rpm discs:
w/:
The Penquins (2)
Carl Perkins (3)
[Several unnamed discs from assorted OST's] (6)
Buddy Holly & the Crickets (3)
Elvis Presley on "Sun" label - licensed to Argentina. (3) + (1) USA SUN pressing.
The Sons of the Pioneers (3)
[Several Middle Eastern discs] c. 1940-47 (5)
Turkish discs (3)
Woody Guthrie (2)
Hank Williams (2)
***And an unlisted, Beautiful "Noel Coward" Test Pressing (of "the Last Time I Saw Paris" 78rpm 12" Disc).
Most are noted as 10" discs. It is harder than ever to find these 78's still new, which makes sense; so I obtain them when I can. This dealer has a list of what they have sent me, and so I am guaranteed "no repeats" (unless I ask).
["and a nice selection of 10-12 discs I'm sure you'll like" ]

These come packed in well packaged, nested boxes - all placed in large Styrofoam Boxes with a veneer of thin wooden strips "melted" into the styrofoam w/ a special adhesive. With this many fragile discs, I was told it will all arrive in at least 2 such styrofoam boxes. These are usually very affordable, South American manufactured, or in some cases made FOR South America, or in the case of the Middle Eastern discs, they will have been made in their country of origin. I don't mind buying such "pot-luck" discs, for to date, this dealer has sent a combo of very rare and popular discs, and all but 1 were 78rpm Shellacs. (The 33 1/3 was a sealed French LP of a 1958 10" Elvis Presley recording preserved in layers of plastics).

With discussions of LP and other music media prices, shipping and all the taxes many of the people on this SITE must pay, I do recommend buying from Argentinian Stores. The prices are low, shipping is reasonable to the USA, and so I cannot see why the UK or Europe would be (much) different. Comparing new/ Old stock 78rpm discs to new LP releases is certainly apples and oranges, but I have purchased, over the years, new LP (and CD releases) at 60 cents on the dollar; and shipping is much cheaper than other countries. The caviat is to buy either NEW or Sealed recordings. The recordings of Brasiliá have gone way up compared to most, and the quality is dependent upon your source and again, whether the recordings are new and/ or sealed.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

angelsighs wrote:yeah there are large sections of silence/near silence on the Mark Hollis album, including at the beginning and end of the whole record. apparently his thing was to try and capture the performances live in the room with just well placed mics- just trying to capture the natural ambience rather than use artificial reverb. 'recording the room' if you like. a very jazz kind of ethos. although the album is more of a folk/jazz hybrid in terms of sound.

of course, there's also the beginning of Laughing Stock which is simply the tremolo hum of a very very quiet amp. good test for any hifi system :)

***It was this sort of recording, of Jazz Recordings, especially in those of the mid 1960's that impressed upon me the need to (eventually) obtain the closest to an "Ideal Sound System" that I could or would someday be capable of obtaining. I remember being in a small shop which was in fact an extension of where the owner lived - and to hear with such clarity even the most inconsequential of sounds as if the band, or an instrument or "pages turning" and tuning of instruments were right there in the room. WOW! That was a long time ago; and over the years I improved my system ever so slowly to meet such "challenges"; and then, just a few years ago I finally did obtain the finest system I could; and recordings (spares), that I had saved, many for decades, took on a life and sound so sweet! It was worth the wait, and every single penny. I still add components pro re nata, (or as desired), and I may likely never need to replace the main system for many more years. As long as this system behaves and recreates the recording as it does now, it stays. I waited over 40 years; saved and put back enough to buy the best I could afford. What changes I saw over the years! Now, my lightbulb bill has reached its zenith! Along with my listening pleasure. When I think back, such a system was not yet conceived when I started - the new technology that recreates so well so much is astounding. Analogue recording reproduction is uncanny, as it should be - and all of those years since Eno's "Taking Tiger Mountain" is now astounding; and even his "Another Day on Earth" fills the house on a digital disc. Wonderful.
The day I was so taken with and impressed with that system, I purchased a (2) sealed copies of "It's A Beautiful Day"; and kept them sealed until this system was installed. A Wonderful pressing. [1968].
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

V/A - Excavated Shellac: Strings
V/A - Excavated Shellac: Reeds
Katilyn Aurelia Smith - Euclid
Motion Sickness Of Time Travel - Affinity
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Been really bingeing on new music lately. Actually bought some physical music today, too (needs must) :lol:

Frank Zappa - The Road Tapes Vol.1: Vancouver 1968
Frank Zappa - The Road Tapes Vol. 2: Helsinki 1973
Frank Zappa - The Road Tapes Vol. 3: Minneapolis 1970
Frank Zappa - The Lumpy Money Project/Object
Prince - Sign 'o' The Times
Iron Maiden - Brave New World
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few assorted bits you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Brian Eno "Textures" ESL 003 Radio Sounds 1993 CD.
Brian Eno "Textural Ambiguities" Virgin; a commercial release of the Promo Only "Textures" CD.

David Bowie" "The Man Who Sold the World" w/ "Space Oddity" 7" B&W 1971 Pic Sleeve; USA PROMO Only; Very similar Sleeve to the (Color) German 12" MaxiSingle image used in 1980; RCA.

Lou Reed "Transformer"; RCA 1972; original; [Sealed]; USA; Dynaflex Label. A great LP. (spare).
Lou Reed "Transformer": RCA 1972; original - not sealed; (spare).

Rudy Vallée Sheet Music made to be placed on Trumpet (Tiny Size) "I'm Just a Vagabond Lover" 1929; "Not for Sale", "Orchestra Use Only". One of the "Hits" of 1929. Featured in the Film of the same title starring Marie Dressler and Anne Dvorak.

Psychic T.V. "Live in Glasgow"; Temple Records - TOPY ("Temple of Psykik Youth"). c. 1986/7
An Icelandic release pressed in the U.K. as essentially all of these discs were. w/ a coupon to purchase the Next in the Series of "Live Performances".
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

(eBay store removed - the Pink Floyd "DSOTM" libretto for $8700 list was gone from pinnaclerecords).

This store has some nice titles, but I did not yet check to see if they were all sealed. Certain examples I believe exceed what I would pay sealed or not. Perhaps they were Test Pressings or negotiable.

In the Pink Floyd Thread, you will see a similar autographed Libretto from "Dark Side of the Moon" (and Beyond) I received as a gift from a dear friend. He owned some Radio Stations, and had his Libretto signed at a sort of News Conference. I later added a "correct ticket". This person on EBay is not giving anything away and shows the incredible prices asked and often met by collectors. Just a little less than 30 years ago, I saw another Libretto very similar to my copy and to this one, for $250. My copy has the band each autographing their photos, since they were more or less "unknown" at this time, in 1972, more so in the USA.
This libretto for sale was signed on the Pink reverse (or the outside), depending upon how you view it.

8k is perhaps a bit ridiculous; but I suppose if you REALLY wanted it.....Everyone of us who saw the piece we offered up to be autographed, and have it in our collections must find the Led Zeppelin LP almost 3x as silly. 22k? Well, why not.
I would not lambast anyone who purchased either OR BOTH; if they wanted them and had the price handy, it is none of my business. I am sometimes shocked at what is offered and what is paid. Just my opinion. I had just purchased a sealed 1972 Lou Reed "Transformer" LP when I came across this page. There was a very nice NOT SEALED copy that looked really pretty at a reasonable cost. I hoped to save the sealed copy for if and when I upgrade my turntable, not very soon.

I STILL suggest finding and obtaining sealed copies is a great idea for anyone who has those certain favorites; many re-releases are very good; but generally, I prefer the original pressings or better yet, still sealed PROMO ONLY releases when they can be had. Once upon a Time I would have included "Test Pressings", which were generally well cared for, and for good reason; but they were once about the same price as the regular recordings, but that changed long ago for certain titles and artists.
I rarely discuss pricing, but this Floyd Libretto seemed a great example for a sort of "shock value" and to "make an offer"; and how far UP pricing has gone for so many items.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Angel Olsen- Burn Your Fire For No Witness (2CD version)
Steve Gunn- Eyes On The Lines
Spectrum- Soul Kiss (Glide Divine)
Hedvig Mollestad Trio- Black Stabat Matter
Sunwatchers - s/t
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I will be getting the Steve Gunn album, all in good time

Recent additions

Neil Young Earth 3LP
Ja Bitte -Sonic Cathedral 12"
Thee Oh sees Weird Exits LP
Lots of stuff on Polytecnic Youth label (I'm a sucker for Ltd edition stuff)
Ryley Walker new LP

then a few bits replacing CD's Deerhunter(Halcyon Digest), Geneva (Further), Throwing Muses(The Real Ramona), Ride( Leave Them all Behind), Mogwai (My father My King)

Also sold LP's by Cult Of Dom Keller because I think they are dreadful, likewise both Lp's by 'You're Smiling Know But blaa blah blah demons etc etc, Just not my bag at all. Bought way too much average Pysch over the last few years, only the good stuff from now on.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Bought way too much average Psych over the last few years, only the good stuff from now on.
Should get you down to about four albums a year then!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

sunray wrote:
Ouch! ;)

Recently I've bought -

Frank Zappa - The Crux of the Biscuit (Apostrophe (') 40th Anniversary Project/Object)
Frank Zappa - Frank Zappa For President
Julian Cope - Rave-O-Lution EP
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:
That is a surprisingly accurate assessment. I've bought very little new stuff outside of the labels I actively collect (Polytechnic Youth, Deep Distance, Great Pop Supplement, God Unknown (singles club) and Drone Rock, GuruGuruBrain etc). Maybe I have overdosed on the psyche thing over the last few years, but it seems to me there is an awful lot of derivative, poorly recorded, unimaginative shite being released at the moment (there are two other issues I'll complain about in the next paragraph :oops: ) so I'm also agreeing with Dave. As an alternative I've been trawling second hand shops, markets and Discogs to a certain extent buying old records in decent condition. Lots of it is stuff I couldn't afford to buy when it was originally released in the 1970's and 80's. It is nice to plod through a few boxes hoping to find a nugget (like Alan's Stones Mono LP). I also find myself listening to a lot of electronic music in preference to psyche these days.

I have to also admit that a recent update to the software on my streamer has allowed access to TIDAL losslessly. Being able to stick a load of new tunes/LPs onto a playlist and try stuff out has been superb. Not having to get off the sofa to turn the LP over is great. On average, I would always choose an LP over a CD, particularly if I can get a first pressing of the LP. Sadly, these days there are loads of shit pressings (e.g. the Minor Victories LP on white vinyl was mastered at such a low volume it sounds like it is recorded with a sock over every microphone) so a FLAC download or a decently mastered CD will sound great in comparison. Oh yeah, and then there is the shipping costs associated with buying shit recordings, poorly mastered onto rubbish vinyl..... :evil:. No shipping or shit pressings with a FLAC.

Invest in a streamer and save yourself a fortune. :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

CDs definitely have their plus points as a halfway house- they are still a physical object, but much more portable and convinient than vinyl. streaming is great to expose you to new music, but i'm still very much attached to physical objects... music is special and my very favourite music deserves to exist as a tangile object. you don't have memories attached to streams!

as I've said in other threads, I am thinking about making the move to vinyl myself, but I'm going to be careful about it. one fear I've got is what is surely the massive letdown of getting your mitts on a record which then sounds like crap.. is that not totally gutting? of course, CDs can be mastered badly too (I've got some culprits myself, mainly from the early days of CD where they are flat as a pancake-and then conversely a lot of them these days are brickwalled to fuck) but at least there are less variables to worry about in terms of what can go wrong- you slap it in the player and away you go.

re: the other comments about psych as a genre.. thats funny and true enough.. but true about every musical genre that ever existed! there's the cream of the crop that genuinely manage to make distinctive music and put their own stamp in the genre (in terms of psych, off the top of my head- Carlton Melton, Comets on Fire, The Heads, Dungen, Sleepy Sun are all bands which transcend a mere genre tag in my estimations) then there's LOT of stuff which isn't awful, but just okay and ticking the right boxes. in psych this is usually endless people doing a motorik beat and wah wahing over it until kingdom come. you just gotta find the good stuff and even some of the average stuff you can enjoy if it's a genre that is particularly your bag.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:CDs definitely have their plus points as a halfway house- they are still a physical object, but much more portable and convinient than vinyl. streaming is great to expose you to new music, but i'm still very much attached to physical objects... music is special and my very favourite music deserves to exist as a tangile object. you don't have memories attached to streams!
I have a lot of sympathy with the view that an LP when done properly is a piece of visual and sonic art. I bought a number of second hand LPs released on independent labels in the UK recently. I have forgotten just how beautiful and painstakingly constructed the artwork from 4ad, Factory et al was. The nearest thing to that in terms of visual impact subsequently are the early Spectrum releases and Spiritualized up until fairly recently. To add to my earlier whine about poor pressings etc, some of the artwork on the records I've been whingeing about is so bad as to made the absence of a physical object a blessing. I've ripped all my CDs to a NAS and stream them using an iPad as a remote. The artwork on the screen of the iPad is surprisingly good. I've not got any real affection for the physical CD, no matter how beautifully presented. A wonderfully packaged record (Section 25's 'Always Now' on Factory is a fabulous example of a cost-no-object artifact) containing a decently mastered and pressed LP (whether lo- or hi-fi) is a thing of joy though.
angelsighs wrote: [...snip] Carlton Melton, Comets on Fire, The Heads, Dungen, Sleepy Sun are all bands which transcend a mere genre tag in my estimations) then there's LOT of stuff which isn't awful, but just okay and ticking the right boxes.
I can only add the various Dave Schmidt projects to that list of bands for the last couple of years.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

My two cents probably won't gain many adherents round here (apart from olan maybe!), but I've essentially given up buying physical music and now buy downloads almost exclusivel. My CDs were ripped to iTunes long ago and now live in massive wallets under my bed; the cases got chucked and stashed the inlays etc in Ikea boxes. Basically, I can't be bothered filling my house with tons of unecessary plastic any more, nor worry about storing music in an orderly and accessible fashion. Purchasing exceptions are:

- dirt cheap second-hand CDs, particularly old catalogue items
- albums issued on CD but not available to download (e.g. the two latest Zappa albums, which can't be legally downloaded in the UK), or the occasional release that's much cheaper on CD than download
- "special treat" LPs from my very favourite bands, generally limited editions or gorgeous works of art I can't resist :)

I'm not fond of streaming, personally; I still prefer to own something and I want access to all my music wherever I am, without having to rely on an internet connection, the Cloud, offline downloads etc. I don't have a dedicated NAS/music server; my old Macbook is permanently connected to my stereo, so my music lives on an external HD and gets played through the stereo via Front Row and my Apple Remote. A slight bodge job, but it works a treat :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: you don't have memories attached to streams!
:D Superb. I doff my cap to you.

I still can't bring myself to pay for downloads!
re: the other comments about psych as a genre.. there's LOT of stuff which isn't awful, but just okay and ticking the right boxes. in psych this is usually endless people doing a motorik beat and wah wahing over it until kingdom come. you just gotta find the good stuff and even some of the average stuff you can enjoy if it's a genre that is particularly your bag.
Very true. A lot of people here would know that my response to most stuff I hear is "Yeah it's not bad, it's alright, it's fine, it's ok...but..."
Most of it is listenable but not a lot excites or stands up to repeated listens.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Some excellent points here and I concur with many.

I have arrived at my decision on purchasing about 23 months ago (wandering into Olan towers as it happens!) I already had loads of vinyl and even more cd's, I realised a lot of the cd's were singles (not worth a carrot and not interesting nor would they be listened to), also a lot of it was just shite, making up the numbers. I had a huge clear out, decided the bands I loved, if I had it on cd, look for the original vinyl instead, trade in the cd. That has worked really well as the stuff I'm trading in at Vinyl Exchange is often of interest to them, so a bulk drop off usually gets me some pretty good trade in the shop, pop downstairs get more vinyl and the cycle continues. A lot of the cd singles have been binned or stored in suitcases out of the way, so what was 15 Benno cd towers downstairs has now become 8. Also as mentioned some of the Psych stuff is just dull, but due to many being in ltd quantities, they re-sell well on vinyl (and in some cases cd) So a load of Cardinal Fuzz/Fuzz Club etc stuff that I just do not rate at all went off to VE in mint condition and I could fund vinyl I really wanted.
I don't download or stream, I have zero spare time to start getting stuff onto a streamer and downloading does not appeal, for the reasons tasted by many others.
Just to qualify, Cardinal Fuzz is a fine label and I'm in no way slating it, just a few of the releases I purchased without prior listening and they are not for me. Some of them are outstanding, Dreamtime's 2 LP's have been well played at AT Towers, Minami Deutsch also very good, plus a plenty more.
There is no reason to buy without listening these days, so I have ensured I do give things at least half an ear before purchase.
That said, I still buy way too much.....
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Just to qualify, Cardinal Fuzz is a fine label and I'm in no way slating it, just a few of the releases I purchased without prior listening and they are not for me. Some of them are outstanding, Dreamtime's 2 LP's have been well played at AT Towers
I've done the same, but always wrote it off as funding a great label so not a great loss. I bought the Dreamtime S/T LP from Cardinal Fuzz thinking it was actually the Dreamweapon S/T LP and its not my cup of tea so, if its of interest to anyone, its currently up for sale on Discogs or directly through me. Its the pink vinyl version with the A3 poster and mirrorboard sleeve. Immaculate and played only once too.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last single I bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Just one single to share. A Picture Sleeved 7" Single from "2001 - A Space Odyssey - Music from the Film and TVs Apollo MoonShot Programmes" an early PROMO from 1967. With "And Thus Spake Zarathustra" on side A, and "The Blue Danube" on the B side. A UK release, predating the Film which predated the 1st Landing of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin upon the Lunar Surface. It seems like yesterday. I remember that we were in general very proud of the feat, but disappointed that most T.V. coverage was in BLACK AND WHITE! (Ergo, all future landings and take-offs from the Moon were broadcast on Live Television in Color). The Moon may be gray, but the Lunar Module was not, and of course the "Big Blue Marble" was Beautiful. The Pink Floyd played Live on the BBC, using images via visual (and audio transmissions) sent from Houston (and other sites) to the UK during the joint Command/Lunar Module approach, their subsequent separation, and landing of the Lunar Module on the Moon's surface, in/on "The Sea of Tranquility". There were a number of other, earlier, Live Apollo TV spots that came before the 1st Lunar landing.
(I am pleased this Historical example is on the UK Columbia Label
; it will fit well along with related 7" 1967-1969 Pink Floyd singles).

Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

[quote="olan"][angelsighs]CDs definitely have their plus points as a halfway house- they are still a physical object, but much more portable and convinient than vinyl. streaming is great to expose you to new music, but i'm still very much attached to physical objects... music is special and my very favourite music deserves to exist as a tangile object. you don't have memories attached to streams!
-----------------------------------------------
I have a lot of sympathy with the view that an LP when done properly is a piece of visual and sonic art. I bought a number of second hand LPs released on independent labels in the UK recently. I have forgotten just how beautiful and painstakingly constructed the artwork from 4ad, Factory et al was. The nearest thing to that in terms of visual impact subsequently are the early Spectrum releases and Spiritualized up until fairly recently. To add to my earlier whine about poor pressings etc, some of the artwork on the records I've been whingeing about is so bad as to made the absence of a physical object a blessing. I've ripped all my CDs to a NAS and stream them using an iPad as a remote. The artwork on the screen of the iPad is surprisingly good. I've not got any real affection for the physical CD, no matter how beautifully presented. A wonderfully packaged record (Section 25's 'Always Now' on Factory is a fabulous example of a cost-no-object artifact) containing a decently mastered and pressed LP (whether lo- or hi-fi) is a thing of joy.
-----------------------------------------------------------olan

I understand the utility and rational thought of a streaming device; but our own Spiritualized provides a wealth of Beautifully Packaged 7" Discs, CD PROMO Sets, 10" discs, CD Singles and LPs - I could go on. Although I understand the reasoning, I personally prefer the original discs. Properly handled and maintained, on the "right" system they can sound Real as is Possible and stay "as new" for .........well, a very long time indeed. Certain discs are so unique, that to hear them any other way than a particular original pressing is not possible; and that makes the expense less painful. At least the way I enjoy music. But I do get it - I want to have 78rpm music played "on non-electronic analogue devices" and have the "recording of the room as they play". It will create a very nice Library of exceptional and rare and otherwise impossible to find recordings. I have experimented earlier in the year, and have spoken to a couple of fellows who own small studios. It is simply a matter of having coins at the right time! Lately, timing has been "off" now and again. A sort of feast or famine. I would like all to enjoy as they will and have fun doing it, regardless of the method each chooses.
semi.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Polytechnic Youth -2 missing 7's Not very cheap but hey ho
The Home Current- Wix and Groupscule-Je Suis Marxiste

Steve Gunns new album is excellent, recently acquired on LP(no dl though which is a shame)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The Verve - A Storm In Heaven (Deluxe Edition)
The Verve - A Northern Soul (Deluxe Edition)

Yup, I downloaded them both: £24 all in from amazon. I didn't get the booklets with the interviews, which I'm slightly sad about, but I nevertheless saved money and didn't acquire any extra cardboard or plastic... (sorry)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Haven't bought any for ages.
Last ones were all Clint Mansell soundtracks. Unless you count 'non-popular' music. I've bought a shitload of Early Music.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Dead Sea Apes - Soy Dios (Cardinal Fuzz reissue)
Spacemen 3 - Revolution 12"
Spacemen 3 - Performance LP (old Fire issue)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Brightblack: ala.cali.tucky
The Bridge - A Tribute To Neil Young
Howlin' Wolf: The Howlin' Wolf Album
James Brown And The Famous Flames: I Can't Stand Myself When You Touch Me
ohGr: Welt

got a few things on order, too...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote: Steve Gunns new album is excellent, recently acquired on LP(no dl though which is a shame)
this album is indeed excellent, getting plenty of plays in these parts.

my recent purchases:

Ariel Pink- Worn Copy
PZYK vol 2
Acid Mothers Temple- Does the Cosmic Shepherd Dream of Electric Tapirs
Oren Ambarchi/Keiji Haino/Jim O'Rourke- Now While it’s Still Warm Let Us Pour in All the Mystery
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Angel Olsen - My Woman - (Rough Trade exclusive white vinyl edition - only 600 pressed)

Wrekmeister Harmonies - Then It All Came Down / You've Always Meant So Much To Me (2 albums on 1 cd - saw these support Marissa Nadler a while back and really like their vibe, which verges on a doom metal thing but has really beautiful gentle passages too)

The Blind Shake - Live In San Francisco (LP - I'm Not An Animal is an incredible stomper!)

Hiss Golden Messenger - Poor Moon and Bad Debt (both on cd - this dude soothes my soul - would loved to have bought the vinyl of Poor Moon but shipping from the US was too pricey)

VU - White Light/White Heat (2 cd deluxe - mainly for the live disc)

(on the way: Angel Olsen - Halfway Home vinyl, Thee Oh Sees - Sucks Blood vinyl, Sun Araw - On Patrol vinyl)
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

OnDeadWaves - On Dead Waves : the guy from Maps joined up with Polly Scattergood. Not as electronic as Maps, more guitar based. Not sure about this yet - I really liked the singles I heard (Blackbird and California), but sounds a little dull on first few listens.

Phase Zero - Morgan Delt: Only had this a couple of days, so only had two listens. Like it!

Attention Span - Culture Shock: Fantastic! Culture shock back together - touring and releasing new music. Dick Lucas must be busy with this, Subhumans and Citizen Fish!

Kansalaistottelemattomuus - Kansalaistottelemattomuus: anarcho punk from Finland with the singer from Oi Polloi. Great stuff. Fast and angry! :D

II - The Early Years: hasn't arrived yet! Can't wait to hear this!! Come on! It's arrived! Wow! f**king fantastic!
Last edited by stegraham on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
NumberZzz
New user

Post by NumberZzz »

Future sound of London environments 2- 4
Bought 1 had to buy all, Wow...again...how do they do it!

Spacemen 3 Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to.
That's why we're here, some people had a banging idea from the beginning, and time only tells how good that idea was.
Spiritualized Sweet heart sweet light.
Holy sampling reverbs....wow....Hey Jane highlights.....ice cubes miked in a cocktail shaker, sampled impulses from cocktail bar, car crash....tyre bounces across sound field, dust settles....ends up like ticker tape parade with water fountains going off.......Wow.
Love the snake pit tune too.
Love the chopper burning off ( into sunset I guess ) on Headin' for the top, lol end sounds like shooting gallery has been 'sampled'.
Still sits well with all my electronica. J spacemen = musical Shamen.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Katilyn Aurelia Smith & Suzanne Ciani - Sunergy
Fela Kuti - Coffin For Head Of State
Fela Kuti - Alagbon Close
Fela Kuti - Gentleman
Hey! Hello! - Hey! Hello! Too!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

splurged on:
Velvet Underground: The Quine Tapes Vol. 1-3, 6 LP mono box set (Sundazed)

i have wanted this since it came out. i have the CD box already, but the LPs are said to be quieter (less hiss) and just all-around better sounding.

I haven't had the time to crack open the box yet, but I'm getting excited.

http://imgur.com/l34Gkbk
http://imgur.com/FciFQJd
http://imgur.com/mcfdlW9

http://www.sundazed.com/post-link/?Prod ... x-Set.aspx
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

John Coltrane/Archie Shepp - New Thing At Newport 1965
Surgeon - From Farthest Known Objects
Angel Olson - Burn Your Fire For No Witness
Mink DeVille - Cabretta
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Key
O P 8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've been trying to keep it sane for a while so have bought relatively little recently. This represents July - September

Sigur Ros: Inni Box set (vinyl, cds and DVD)
Dead Can Dance: Dead Can Dance (Reissue)
Dead Can Dance: Into the Labyrinth (Reissue)
Kandodo: Last Chance/Lost Chants Limited Edition

From the Liverpool Psyche Fest pop-up shop
Harmonia: Live 1974
Harmonia: Documents 1975
Harmonia: Deluxe
Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia: Pzyk Vol2.

And anything released on the Deep Distance or Polytechnic Youth labels including the Do Nothing 7" by Pete Astor on the Feral Child label.

:roll:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have long wished to find an original copy, a Truly Beautiful example of David Bowie's 1st LP. I have found a variant PROMO copy with a booklet and Poster that is new to me. From 1969. An Obscure GF copy (rerouted for the Portuguese market), a UK Pressing on Deram. A few additional Promo "extras" unique to Portugal. An exceptionally nice addition.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Latest batch...

BJM - Methodrone (2xLP, gorgeous blue vinyl)
V/A - Crystallized: Celebrating 15 years of Rocket Recordings (2xLP, housed in a lovely sleeve with black splatter and white splatter vinyl. An absolute steal at £9).
Spacemen 3 - Moroccan Mayhem 7" (orange vinyl, picture sleeve, one of the rarer SP3 ones i've been waiting to pick up)
Carlton Melton - Photo Of Photos (LP, clear vinyl... will go nice with my other copy with the additional tracks)
Carlton Melton - Country Ways LP (had the CD with the extra tracks, but been meaning to pick this up for a while)
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last LP you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Blind Faith;1st/ Only S/T Studio LP; Banned cover. USA Copy, with different packaging. 1969. Sealed. A great LP; Original. (spare). "Innocence and the Future" were the thoughts behind the Art.

The Photographer made a clear point of what he wished to convey, and did it well. I wonder if the piece would be looked on with less, or with more condemnation now? Frankly, I do not remember much hubbub at the time; it was "just another Jacket" a record company found objectionable. Surely The Beatles', "What A Shame Mary Jane had a Pain at the Party", a 12" Single, on Parlophone, is truly closer to "pornography" than the Jacket shown. I borrowed the image shown below, and regret I cannot use my "What a Shame" Jacket image because of technical problems. (That, and I could not find a copy of what is a rare, avant garde example of The Beatles/ Lennon/ Ono; (w/ "Beatles" marked out and "ROACHES" written over, online to use as I did the Blind Faith LP image).
The LP shown has a wonderful lineup as I'm certain most of you are aware; the music is wonderful, and a sealed, 1st release, is expected to sound fantastic.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

New albums from;
Kandodo
Allah Las
Teenage Fanclub
Six By Seven
Early Years
Fatan Kanaan
Ultimate painting

plus Verve Storm In Heaven Box set, Low Exit papers EP, Hope sandoval new 10", Parquet Courts new 12", BJM new 10", Howe Gelb and Voices of blah blah etc reissue with DVD.

Now for a lie down
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Aquarian-Time wrote:New albums from;
Kandodo
Allah Las
Teenage Fanclub
Six By Seven
Early Years
Fatan Kanaan
Ultimate painting

plus Verve Storm In Heaven Box set, Low Exit papers EP, Hope sandoval new 10", Parquet Courts new 12", BJM new 10", Howe Gelb and Voices of blah blah etc reissue with DVD.

Now for a lie down
How is the Allah Las LP? I thought the last one was really insubstantial.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few albums/lp's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Just Arrived - Beautifully and Carefully Boxed.
I have, with the intent of finding as many Mint (spare), Sealed Original LPs as possible, added these today. They are noticeably much heavier than other (new) recordings that arrived along with them. Both are like new, and the markings are those of the original releases. Very Nice additions.

The Rolling Stones; Original, 1969; Stereo. Octagonal "Through the Past Darkly" Part II. USA; SEALED.
The Rolling Stones; Original, 1965; Stereo. "Out of Our Heads". USA; a very different LP than the UK release in Artwork, Label and song listing. SEALED.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

olan, it's a very chilled affair and although pleasant listening has yet to grab me. nothing like the 1st or 2nd album in my opinion. vocals are all passed around so lots of different textures throughout. needs further listening
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last album you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

The Doctors of Madness "Late Night Movies, All Night Brainstorms" 1976, UK, Polydor. (spare).

This LP, and the 2nd LP, were apparently not released in the USA until 1978 as a 2LP SET. (further down).
I first heard this LP from a 1979 Box Set by Deutche Grammaphone, "SOUNDS" - (subtitled) - [10 LPs You Would Take to a Desert Island]; I played it once, recording it to reel to reel, and have wanted an (Original) spare copy for many years. A really interesting Band in the New Wave/ Punk/ Pre-Punk (whatever) genre that eventually led to a solo LP, "The Phenomenal Rise of Richard Strange", et al. I had purchased this "Phenonemal Rise..." LP, unaware (until I heard the vocals), that Richard Strange was the "Kid Strange" listed on the "Doctors of Madness" LP. Here are two tracks from the UK 1976 LP.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:30 am, edited 7 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few LPs/ 3"CD's you bought? Ephemera?

Post by semisynthetic »

Doctors of Madness "Figments of Emancipation" UK; LP; Polydor 1976; (spare).

Richard Strange & The Engine Room - "Damascus" 3" single CD; (Doctors of Madness); Germany. This includes an early "adapter" for early CD Players lacking 3" disc playing capability. An EP, originally released in 1985 in a variety of disc sizes and mixes; several tracks.
3" CD Released on the Deutche Interphon Record Label in 1988.

A Packet of Ephemera and Letters to (and a few from) Rudy Vallée, a gift to me from his widow.

"Ellie" Vallée had been very kind and eager to help me when I called her to ask specifically about a 1932 Video Short Film entitled "Rudy Vallée's Musical Hospital"; an early, exceptionally creative video, which co-stars Louis Armstrong, a great friend of Rudy Vallée, playing an "emergency patient", (along with the "real" lady who was the cartoon voice of Betty Boop playing the part of a Nurse).
I had looked years for this (complete) Video Short, once available (in part) for viewing on YouTube, but sadly, was foolishly and I do believe, quite wrongly deemed "racist", and removed from YouTube.

Within days, I started to receive letters from Hollywood, and NYC, and eventually, from literally around the world from people with anecdotes regarding the film, and where a copy might be found in assorted media. Amazing. Ellie and I had written and called one another every so often for several years. As many of you know, I enjoy 78rpm discs, with the music (and mayhem), both great parts of the History of early recorded Music (and the often unmentioned accompanying Extreme Partyrama of the Era). She was incredibly unselfish and a very sweet lady, most genuinely pleased to see that interest in "her" Rudy's music continued, and was clearly proud of him as evidenced by her words and actions.
Sadly,
Ellie (Eleanor) Vallée passed away in December, 2015. R.I.P.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus