The Spiritualized Film Club

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BVCP206
Known user

Re: The Spiritualized Film Club

Post by BVCP206 »

Deadpool - absolutely fantastic film, great story loads of action/humour all held together by a brilliant script. I'm really not one for the Marvel films but this is a true exception to the otherwise oh so tired franchise. Cannot recommend enough :D
'Remember, change is not good'
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

finally watched ghost world. brilliant coming of age teen film. watch it now!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

runcible wrote:Took my kids to Suicide Squad which they were all desperate to see. My God - that must rate as potentially the worst movie I have ever seen. Utter shite from start to finish, not even vaguely saved by a half decent soundtrack. To think the same team that produced the excellent Guardians of the Galaxy were responsible is somewhat puzzling.

Yea I was roped into going to see this. I am not keen on superhero films to begin with, but I still managed to find Suicide Squad as possibly the worst cinema experience I've ever had. It was very, very boring. Obviously it's not my thing, aimed at me, or part of my culture, I shouldn't have been there & normally I wouldn't have. But as a film it was so goddamn boring & vacuous there was really nothing fun in it for me.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

^
Wake in Fright

just yoinked this off the torrentials, Im a sinner,...Checked half the trailer. Cant say Im one for watching trailers as these days they give far too much away or nothing atall and also prefer going into movies somewhat blind than reading reviews before hand....they can all to easily taint ones perspective.so looking forward to this tonight with a beer

cheers FM ( oh and thanks for the New York Ripper film you mentioned.....class :)
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Anyone else going to see this? I am, somewhere far south below the river.

'ONE MORE TIME WITH FEELING
Feature film One More Time With Feeling will screen in cinemas for one night only on 8th September, launching the new Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album Skeleton Tree.'
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Found the Nick Cave film hard to watch. Reminded me of my own grieving over the last 5 years.

The next (so far) film I have coming up is Herzog's Lo & Behold at LFF . It might be a Q&A also. If I've booked the right thing.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I chose not to go to the nick cave film, but I regret it now.
I think the record is one of the most striking & stunning pieces of work that has impacted me, ever. It's unspeakably sad, powerful & potent. I can't escape it presently. It has engulfed me & sets the tone of my existence every day.
Normally that sort of obsession would signal a darkness but the opposite effect is happening. The value in it is so pure that I've found it truly transformative.
It's terrible of course, but there is at least something positive to take from this tragedy. It makes me appreciate what I've got. Appreciate the ordinary.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:I chose not to go to the nick cave film, but I regret it now.
I think the record is one of the most striking & stunning pieces of work that has impacted me, ever. It's unspeakably sad, powerful & potent. I can't escape it presently. It has engulfed me & sets the tone of my existence every day.
Normally that sort of obsession would signal a darkness but the opposite effect is happening. The value in it is so pure that I've found it truly transformative.
It's terrible of course, but there is at least something positive to take from this tragedy. It makes me appreciate what I've got. Appreciate the ordinary.
i saw him walking down the street the other day

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Aye, what can you do? You don't want to impose on these people, they're just regular folk after all. But at the same time you want to express your gratitude to the value their work has brought to you.

I met a hero of mine recently & it was pretty much the only time in my life I've been star struck. I couldn't even speak properly even tho there was so much I wanted to say!

If I saw nick I'd be doing well to fight the urge to give him a hug to be honest! It's not like I'd want anything from him, or recognition or an autograph or a picture. I'd just like to express my thanks & sympathies. But I'd also shy away cause I wouldn't want to overstep.
Even when artists are doin meet & greets & signing stuff after gigs I never do that. I've walked right past mark lanegan & cat power. I really regret not speaking to chan.

I have talked to j actually. But that was just about the weather.. I think he might've been looking for a spliff tbh, but he'd just missed it by a couple of mins & I was in no state for another so soon or else I'd have missed the gig..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

not often a film is as engrossing as to make you forget you're watching one. this is a truly wonderful movie

"bicycle thief" was excellent...thanks fmspaceman
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Rattle The Cage

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/ra ... 201603709/

Well worth a look, powerful stuff from that well known hot bed of movie making the United Arab Emirates! Seriously though this is a brilliant film that grabs you by the throat from the off and doesn't let go :!:
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

I, Daniel Blake

brilliant. left me in tears...jesus, even reading the below review to my partner brought me to tears 2 days after seeing the film. a jibbering mess.

this review sums it up very well
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/o ... rk-kermode
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hedspace wrote:I, Daniel Blake

brilliant. left me in tears...jesus, even reading the below review to my partner brought me to tears 2 days after seeing the film. a jibbering mess.

this review sums it up very well
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/o ... rk-kermode
Saw it last night, agree with all of the above. There's an awful lot of people who need to see this film and have their eyes opened to the shite people have to go through to get some help.
Could definitely relate to Daniel being sent around the houses chasing his tail. All designed to grind you down and make you give up from continuing your claim.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Jumping into a thread I've not even lurked on before...

Simon Amstell has a new film on Iplayer called 'Carnage'. Set 50 years in the future where everyone has become Vegan the film acts as a documentary telling the story of how it happened. It manages to be pretty funny without being too preachy and I'd say it is worth a watch.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04sh6zg
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

I saw Carnage last night. Very funny with some real eye opening stuff. A few bits had me belly laughing which doesn't happen that often. Also, I'm not sure I can drink milk again.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Finally got round to seeing Rogue One.

Best Star Wars movie ever! :D 8) :D 8) :D
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Laz69 wrote:Finally got round to seeing Rogue One.

Best Star Wars movie ever! :D 8) :D 8) :D
It felt like a proper grown up movie.

Spoiler alert....

and they all die in the end... a brilliant move on the filmakers part and what about that end scene with Darth Vader.....jesus! :shock:
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Fans of Sighteseers

Alices Lowes (directorial debut) pregnant character is off on a revenge spree after her husband dies in a climbing accident. Its in the same vein as Sightseers and it felt like there were a few nods to the film "Angst" that FMSpaceman posted earlier. Thank you FM for a truly terrifying evening on Sunday :)

Prevenge

good dark craic to keep the juices flowing
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Watched Rogue One and Kong Skull Island recently and enjoyed both. I am a massive Peter Cushing fan and thought those scenes were done very well. Regards Skull Island the helicopter sequence near the beginning was immense a proper leave you brain at the door action romp that was thoroughly enjoyable throughout. Moving away from the 'blockbusters' also watched The Guard Post (GP506) which was also a good (if intense) watch :D
guwest
New user

Post by guwest »

[quote="ChapmanH"]Hi all, any of you movie buffs into the classic Ivan the Terrible films? A friend of mine put a beautiful video up for "Stay With Me" set to an excerpt from Ivan the Terrible 1. It just works. See what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUF7-g3eDWo

Where is this vid? Link says 'no longer available'. I did see it a few years back and thought it was great.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

[quote="
SISTERS GRIMMER ...

Martyrs ( The 2008 Uncut French Original NOT The Awful US Remake ) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OURQETU9s-0

xx xx ...[/quote]

One of the greatest horror films ever made. I nearly switched it off half way through it was that tough to watch but stuck with it ...wow! ....I never want to see it again

Looking forward to Tore Tanzt............thank you FMSpaceman

this is going on in 5 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ-ysqjYjaY

for fans of Gomorrah
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

The Farthest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znTdk_de_K8

Ladies and Genltemen.....
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Shin Godzilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvFEspENxIU

if you like the old B movies, Frankenstein conquers the world etc, then you love this...sure you might love it regardless
great fun
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

FM Spaceman wrote:Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

xx xx ...
any good? I saw a trailer and it seemed very different- a Hollywood blockbuster version

Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Blade of the Immortal Sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEtVcV2BOU

top drawer fun based on the old manga series. After battling his sisters killers a dying Samurai is cursed with immortality
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0IOHiZSl4

xx xx ...
Phenomenal documentary!

FYI the film is often called "The 7 5" or "Seven Five", for those looking for it on streaming sites.

Well worth seeking out. A very well made film not just for hardcore doc fans. This true story makes Serpico look relatively tame by comparison.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

mojo filters wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 am

xx xx ...
Phenomenal documentary!

FYI the film is often called "The 7 5" or "Seven Five", for those looking for it on streaming sites.

Well worth seeking out. A very well made film not just for hardcore doc fans. This true story makes Serpico look relatively tame by comparison.
Yes, this documentary was pretty special watching. Those dirty cops were worse than the gangsters! :twisted:
Hey Jayne
space
Known user

Post by space »

The Dr wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4

xx xx ...
any good? I saw a trailer and it seemed very different- a Hollywood blockbuster version
it's good at first then people start running round with guns and it gets dull
space
Known user

Post by space »

Luminescence wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:54 pm
mojo filters wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 am

xx xx ...
Phenomenal documentary!

Yes, this documentary was pretty special watching. Those dirty cops were worse than the gangsters! :twisted:
unfortunate day to say so!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Two fantastic movies watched today...

The Night Comes For Us
Headshot

Both Indonesian action films, with some incredibly gruesome violence and some amazing fight scenes, both right up my street! From the same guy who did the Raid movies. Can't recommend these (and the Raid movies) enough... just be prepared for lots of bodies and blood! :D
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Brightburn - very dark horror about a couple who find a baby when a meteorite hits the earth, akin to Superman up to that point but trust me that's were the similarities end :!: Well made and thought provoking definitely worth a watch :D
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:13 pm Two fantastic movies watched today...

The Night Comes For Us
Headshot

Both Indonesian action films, with some incredibly gruesome violence and some amazing fight scenes, both right up my street! From the same guy who did the Raid movies. Can't recommend these (and the Raid movies) enough... just be prepared for lots of bodies and blood! :D
Late to the party again,but total agreement with Laz, two great movies in the martial art/ pile up the bodies genre, Iko Uwais is pretty astonishing
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Miami-Lesl ... 226&sr=8-1

One Night in Miami. An imagining of a night spent in Miami with Malcolm X, Cassias Clay, Sam Cooke, and Jim Brown in 1963. I think that X steals the show.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

This is for people who like true crime documentaries, with the added spice of religious fervor. It is 3 one hour episodes on Netflix.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

^^^ Just watched it all in one sitting. Great stuff. Highly recommend it!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

This was really good. It's still available on demand on Sky arts.
I wasn't really familiar with the Nightingales at all (I listen to Marc Riley so the name was familiar and I'd heard some songs, but nothing more), but you don't need any previous knowledge to enjoy this great rock documentary.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I watched this tonight and it's really great stuff. Jason would like it as it was described as being the meeting of jazz, blues and gospel all in one super event. Oh Happy Day is performed by the group that created it. It happened the same summer as Woodstock, but was largely forgotten until recently. I think Nina Simone was the highlight for me. I watched it on Hulu. I'm not sure where else it is available.

nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Anyone watch the Bob Marley movie? I though it was pretty good. I've just been getting back into his music the past few months. He was definitely a legend!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

flokie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:23 pm

This was really good. It's still available on demand on Sky arts.
I wasn't really familiar with the Nightingales at all (I listen to Marc Riley so the name was familiar and I'd heard some songs, but nothing more), but you don't need any previous knowledge to enjoy this great rock documentary.
Finally got to see this. Very funny. I'll definitely be rewatching at some point :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five