Last five albums/lp's you bought?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few Needles with History

Post by semisynthetic »

Below is a link to an image of the "French Pathé" Oval sapphire needle for a "vertical" disc. We usually think of waves moving side to side in records, but in this "Hill and Dale" style, the waves are going Up and Down. This idea did not last, yet I have a few NOS, still unplayed Pathé discs, and a few well preserved (but played) discs that will not destroy this "needle". This New-Old-Stock needle is from 1910. The cost of still new examples is often between $30 to $70 each. It was an interesting (but, in hindsight, a really dumb) approach to the problem of creating and playing back the signal wave, but few such recordings were made past the 1920's, except those made in France. There are however, some wonderful Pathé discs recorded, so when I can, I add to my meager stash of "new" sapphire needles. I believe it must be a very expensive process now to try and replicate this early style, likely much more than this person sells them for. Pathé Disques are strangely priced; the Pathé Reproducer needed to play the recordings is rare, the needles are rarer, so a never played disc of 100 years can cost what a "really nice" normal 78rpm disc costs, ($30) or, if it is a very desirable recording, and still unplayed, may bring several thousand dollars. It is a funny sort of pricing dichotomy. The image is of a needle perhaps .7" long. A regular steel or tungsten needle would destroy a Pathé Disque, and I have seen many copies that, people who were not aware of "La Difference", left a trashed disc in the wake of their ignorance. Most Gramophones made before 1920 came with BOTH types of Reproducers, especially in Europe and the UK. My USA made Brunswick Player from 1917 has a felt lined place for the included Pathé reproducer, yet an (RCA) "His Master's Voice", a later 1921 Model, from the UK, does not. I should add that a USA 1919 Edison Player that also does not include the Pathé reproducer - but Edison tended to NOT include anything that he did not invent (or like). Unless a so-called series of ofttimes oversized "portable" players were French, they rarely included the Pathé reproducer. A number of early Cylinder Players also used the Oval Sapphire, whether Pathé or the more traditional "wave form". Most of these "needles" were not interchangeable with or between players, and further complicates their use.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjM2WDEzMDA=/ ... zj/$_3.JPG
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
niamhm
Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by niamhm »

Not bought much recently,
Goat - Requiem,
Allah Las - Calico Review,
La Hell Gang - Thru Me Again,
The Myrrors - Entranced Earth, actually bought this on vinyl but the pressing was so shitty I had to send it back so just bought the cd as its a really good album.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch
Shelleyan Orphan - Century Flower
The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World
The Caretaker - Everywhere At The End Of Time
John Maus - A Collection Of Rarities And Unreleased Material
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Bought or picked up last week in Manchester/Leeds/Harrogate or after 6 months of buying and having sent to Leeds:
Kevin Ayers- Bananamour original UK Harvest Lp
Notorious Byrds Brothers original UK 1st press Lp
Eno- Here Come The Warm Jets original UK Island pink rim Lp
Little Feat- Feats Don't Fail Me Now orig UK Lp
Early Years new Lp
Stones Exile Abbey Road half speed master Lp
Lemon Jelly promo badge set (9) for their last Lp. The only item I picked up at King Bee
Spiritualized Fierce Feel So Sad 7" signed
Primal Scream- Screamadelica 3x CD harcover box set
Kate Bush- The Man With The Child In His Eyes UK 7"
A nice parcel from Sonic Cathedral w/badges, a shirt and some 7"s
Will's new book
Not a bad haul.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Bob Dylan: Tell Tale Signs (Bootleg Series Vol. 8 - Rare and Unreleased 1986-2006 - 4xLP)
Nicholar Jaar: Sirens LP
Holy Sons (Emil Amos from Grails): In The Garden LP
Gruff Rhys: Set Fire To The Stars (soundtrack LP)
Pixies: Head Carrier LP
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last Promo Single EP bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Brian Eno, John Cale - House of Freaks; 7" Clear Vinyl, Warner Brothers Label - At least 500 copies were pressed and sent to accompany the 1990 release of the LP/ CD "Wrong Way Up". I love cover versions that I would not expect to hear. This is one of them.

Side A:
Cover version with "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash, (Written by Anita Carter); sung by Eno, "Shuffle on Down to WoodBridge", John Cale;
Side B; "House of Freaks - Merry Christmas". This Promo only disc, "3 Soil Samples" was sent to Alternative and College Radio Stations. Below is the only YouTube copy I found, so far anyway. (This YouTube example is not a very good copy, but the idea gets across, I think). With 2 of my long time favorite artists, Brian Eno and John Cale; from c. 1990.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

semisynthetic wrote:Brian Eno, John Cale - House of Freaks; 7" Clear Vinyl, Warner Brothers Label - Approximately 500 copies were pressed and sent to accompany the LP/ CD "Wrong Way Up". I love cover versions that I would not expect to hear. This is one of them.
I love their version of You Don't Miss Your Water which I believe was a bonus track with the reissue.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The Orb: C.O.W.
Cavern of Anti-Matter: I'm the Unknown
Goat: Requiem
Flying Saucer Attack: Further (bought 2nd hand and included an unused :shock: download voucher :D )

+ bunch of stuff from Dave Schmidt/Sula Basanna
+ bunch of stuff from Dom Martin on Deep Distance/Polytechnic Youth
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Olan: How's the new Cavern of Anti-Matter? I ordered a copy and am waiting for it to arrive.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

TheWarmth wrote:Olan: How's the new Cavern of Anti-Matter? I ordered a copy and am waiting for it to arrive.
Unsurprisingly, it is excellent. The only PITA is that it did not come with a download which is pretty poor given the price..... :roll:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ugh! I HATE that. I can't take my fucking turntable on the train.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Alex English wrote:="semisynthetic"]Brian Eno, John Cale - House of Freaks; 7" Clear Vinyl, Warner Brothers Label - At least 500 copies were pressed and sent to accompany the LP/ CD "Wrong Way Up". I love cover versions that I would not expect to hear. This is one of them.

I love their version of You Don't Miss Your Water which I believe was a bonus track with the reissue.[/quote]

I Agree Alex English. This is an often covered piece, but I have a bias of sorts when I admit that I enjoy Eno and his various assorted projects very much.
Paracelsus
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Variety of things purchased recently...

New Goat album arrived after being on pre-order (really enjoying it)
CWNN version of Recurring (long story...)
The Munster Dance Hall Favorites! Vol.1 7" (pink sleeve) - long sought after 7" featuring Spacemen 3

Also just placed an order for the following Spacemen 3 print that was offered up by an incredibly talented guy on Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy! 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bought quite a few recently from various sources.. now just need to find the time to listen to them all..

these 2 from the Acid Mothers merch table:

Acid Mother Temple- You Can't Do That On The Radio Anymore (very limited live radio sesh)
Dip Apple- Made in Japan (this is an electronics/guitar drone side project, surprisingly good)

from oldies from amazon marketplace:

Monks- Black Monk Time
Steve Reid- Spirit Walk

from Aquarian-Time's continuing CD clearout:

Providence- 27.4.97 (live jam session featuring members of Bardo Pond and Flying Saucer Attack!)
Bardo Pond- Bufo Alvarious
Mogwai- My Father My King

and finally some new releases on the way back home from Manchester on Sunday!

Angel Olsen- My Woman
Preoccupations- Preoccupations
Hamilton Leithauser & Rostam- I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

These selections are notable for their timeliness. "The Phenomenal Rise...." LP is a play on political matters, albeit on music released 36 years ago, and the Artwork of the 12" Single and piece titled "Damascus" is likewise timely. This was not a purposeful group of finds, but simply a coincidental series of obtaining recordings. I was so pleased to have found such a clean "Doctors of Madness" LPs, and a few singles, that I simply continued to attempt something as close to "the complete works of Richard (Kid) Strange and others" while I could, finding sealed copies and other excellent examples.

Richard Strange - "The Live Rise of Richard Strange" LP; Belgium; (sealed); 1980. Ze Label.

Richard Strange - "Going - Gone" LP; Belgium, (new); 1985/86.

Richard Strange - "The Phenomenal Rise of Richard Strange" 7" Single; UK. 1981.

Richard Strange - "International Language"/ "Kiss Goodbye Tomorrow"; 7" single/ PS; UK; Cherry Red 1979.

Richard Strange - "God is Science"/ "International Language"; 7" Single/ PS UK; Virgin; 1981.

Richard Strange and the Engine Room - "Wealthy Man"/ "The Portrait"; 7" Single/ PS; World Music Label; Germany.

Richard Strange and the Engine Room - 12" Single of "Damascus". 1985 UK. Very different Artwork than the "Christmas Tree" cover for the 3" CDEP I obtained from Germany. (sealed). Well done Die-cut Jacket.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

BRIAN ENO - Live at the BBC; LP of 1973-1974 LP material and assorted Singles.
Very Nice Green Pressing. (sealed).
ROIO? I think so, but the packaging, although very simple, is well done, regardless. There is a reference to a Tokyo based label. I have not yet heard the LP. Like Italy did once produce fantastic quality ROIOs, I have likewise found great quality ROIOs from the former CCCP since 1990, and even earlier.

Cabaret Futura - "Fools Rush in Where Angels Fear to Tread" LP; A Project w/ Richard Strange; a sort of "boxed set" packaging. (sealed).
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Shelleyan Orphan - We Have Everything We Need
Hammock - Everything And Nothing
Honeyblood - Babes Never Die
Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Latest 5 albums/LPs/ CDs/ DVD you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

BRIAN ENO - "Here Come the Warm Jets"; LP on Pink Rimmed Island; (appeared) to be a very nice example of the premiere Eno Album. I hope it is. One of my personal favorite "1st LPs" (I am not counting Roxy Music). UK; it was NOT sealed when I purchased it; 1973.

BRIAN ENO - "Here Comes the Warm Jets" LP; a (SEALED) Japanese YSL Pressing with OBI; 2008 pressing.

BRIAN ENO - "I Dorimentei"; (Sealed) Book with ENO CD; 01/01/2001.

BRIAN ENO - "Music for Airports DVD" (sealed). Area 0 (Worldwide).

The Doctors of Madness 1st LP on Japanese CD; #1555; (sealed). 2009 issue.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I found several really nice Concert Posters and Large Promo Ads for Eno and also The Doctors of Madness. They will look very nice matted and framed.
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Pink Floyd early years box set...no clue where to start with it

Ryley Walker-Primrose Green
Steve Gunn- Way out Weather
kristin Hersh new book/cd
Pixies - Head Carrier
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This gorgeous slice of colored vinyl.
Mercury Rev- Yerself Is Steam reissue.
Attachments
yerself.jpg
yerself.jpg (105.04 KiB) Viewed 48380 times
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

VERY PRETTY!
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat (40th Anniversary Project/Object Box Set)
Frank Zappa - Chigaco '78
Frank Zappa - Little Dots
Public Image Limited - The Flowers Of Romance
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

A 1967 Sampler "Out of Sight!" with all that is COOL, like LOU REED and THE BEACHNUTS!
What is on this LP? Man, like I don't know! It is too cool for titles! But, like, I WILL find it all out in TIME.

A really very clean, (sealed), original '67 sampler, w/ pre-Velvet Undergound Lou Reed, 1964, "Cycle Annie".
(Lou is also credited as co-writer of songs for The J Brothers, and The Liberty Men. Although most of the Photos on the Reverse of the Jacket are Capitol Label Artists, this Album is listed as a "Design LP; DLP-269").

Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last NOS Box of Radio Tubes for a Hallicrafters 38c

Post by semisynthetic »

It was quite a surprise when I happened across a NOS sealed box of "Tubes, complete, Hallicrafters 38c", one of my favorite pre-WWII shortwave radios. The sound quality had decreased with time, and I was about to take the back off and then double check the Radio Tubes, but I had received a Tube Catalogue, and the entire set was still sealed in the original box! These things don't last forever, but they have a great half life!
So this winter, not only can I sit near a very warm Steel Box, but listen to music from around the world clearly again. I bought (2) sets, and that should be all I ever need.
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Holy Wave- Freaks Of Nurture LP
Chicos De Nazca- Blowing Inside Lp
Chicos De Nazca- Fireride LP
Flamin Groovies- Groovies Greatest Grooves 2LP
The Mikey Dread Show- African Anthem Dubwise Lp
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few albums/lp's you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

1). Nurse with Wound 12" 45r.p.m. Pic Disc; ERR. APP. EXT. "Resurrection of the Senses"; 1/ 200 copies; (sealed); 2005; on beta-lactam Records; Current 93.

This Band, (& their music) are very unusual
; and generally - Very Dark. But, they are a genuinely unique crowd. A (3) Track EP; from the "Records are not for Baking" Series - Baked 04. The EP is sealed, the artwork and Packaging is exceptional, and I am happy to add more Current 93 Discs of what I see as intriguing, (yet somewhat disturbing), graphics on these discs to my library. The middle image uses an included Promo Sheet. The Picture Disc is sealed in a black Jacket; the data, titles and so on, are on the (other) side of the brightly colored (and a much LESS pleasant side) of this picture disc, a 45rpm Promo 12" disc of what was eventually released as a (2) Picture Disc Set in October, 2005 along with "extra" Art pieces; Considered as "Avant Garde", or as "l'Expérimental". U.S.A. Pressing. [NOTE: A (Tardigrada is a very unusual, tiny, (.3mm), 8 legged aquatic animal). Their name, in Latin, means "Slow Stepping", or "Slow Walking".

Resurrection Of The Senses:
1A - Lint Stutter Resolution Follows Tardigrade, Forgive Me. 5:58
1B - Lint Stutter Resolution Follows Tardigrade, Forget Me. 8:58
2A - Festina Lente. 11:57
(an ancient axiom from the Greek, adapted to Latin, meaning "to make Haste Slowly"; This axiom is most appropriate for the "Slow Stepping" animals featured in this (Baked 04) Disc, and repeatedly in the Complete Set of (2) Pic Discs/ Art/ Booklet et cetera; and (below), Jacket Obverse w/ the unique, ubiquitous, Tardigradae

(PROMO SHEET)

2). A "Complete Set of the Above"; Baked 04 12" 45rpm EP w/ an additional 12" Pic Disc LP - Baked 03; and #'d Gold Foil Artwork. (Sealed). October 2005. Also included are Pencil Artwork Drawings used to produce the LP Pic Disc. I do not have an appropriately sized image of the Baked 03 Pic Disc to show; the title listing is below. A Great set for a "Nurse with Wound" release. Below, artwork of this LTD. ED. of 120, (#098/120). Artwork of a Tardigrade Image, (each unique), in 24K Gold Foil & Black Ink.

Tracklist Credits; (beta-lactam Records); 12" LP Pic Disc 33&1/3. Baked 03.
Perekluchenie:
LP-A1/ Hypothetical Tardigrade Resurrection, Parts 2 & 3 Featuring [Brief, Severly Tweaked Interlude] – Jääpöllöt
LP-A2/ Perekluchenie: The Stairway To The Blue Subsides Voice – Diana Rogerson, Lori Anne Anne Lori Chambers, Windy Chien Voice [Profound Exclamations] – Django Stapleton
LP-A3/ Wretched Density
LP-B1/ Hypothetical Tardigrade Resurrection, Parts 4,5 & 6 Drone [Thrilling Bit Of Drone Somewhere In The Middle Of The Track] – Steven Stapleton Shenai [Shanai] – John Scharpen Voice [Profound Exclamations] – Django Stapleton
LP-B2/ Milking The Dead for Distraction
Cover Art, in 24K Gold Foil/ Black ink, for the Perekluchenie (2) Pic Disc Set; Image of an Aquatic Tardigrade.

3). Brian Eno - Before and After Science; LP; USA, 1st pressing; Island Label; images of Artwork Prints shown on reverse of Jacket; (sealed spare), 1977.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:53 am, edited 17 times in total.
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Steve Gunn- Way out Weather
working backwards through Steve Gunn huh? although I think the new one is his best, this one is great too and has Tommy's Congo- possibly my fave song of his. I love that groove the drummer lays down and Steve peeling off the guitar line over the top. such a great guitarist.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last few LP's/ 7" Single you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

The Doctors of Madness; 2LP Set; United Artists Label; USA 1978 release. Consists of the 1st & 2nd LPs released in the UK, 1976. (sealed). I believe this was the only early release of The Doctors made in the USA.

The Mugwumps - "The Jester's Glass Family" 1967 LP; Sidewalk Sounds; USA. Beautifully Kept Copy.

The Rolling Stones - 7" single/ Pic Sleeve - "Sad Day"; (New Version); (Complètement Inédit) w/ "You Can't Always Get What You Want"; unique to France; 1st Ed. 1973; Decca Label; France; special 1st Ed. Art Sleeve, Warhol Collection. Exceptional!

The Rolling Stones; "Rock N' Rolling Stones"; 1972 UK; Decca LP SKL 5149; 1st Pressing, BSA Cover. I have wanted a copy of this release for some time, but had never seen one so nicely preserved. MONO and "Stereophonic".

THE CLASH - "(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais"; 7" Single; Ltd. R. Lichtenstein Artwork; 1st Pressing. Single placed in a simple, custom, yellow, CBS "The Clash" sleeve; 1978. "Made in England" Pressing. S CBS 6383.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

3). Brian Eno - Before and After Science; LP; UK 1st pressing; Island Label; Artwork Prints shown on reverse of Jacket; (sealed spare), 1977.
Wow, I cannot seem to land a copy of this with the prints, open or sealed. Most are missing them. Sellers asking large amounts for those that include them.

New arrivals of late:

Fear: The Records
The Budos Band: Burnt Offering
Pink Floyd: More
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things
The Runaways: Queens of Noise
Leonard Cohen: Songs of Love and Hate
Atoms for Peace: AMOK
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The ENO LP has the "IMAGES of the Prints" on the reverse; some earlier copies do; others have instead "empty spaces" where the Print Images are NOT SHOWN, only white rectangles, or B&W Drawings. THIS (sealed) USA LP DOES NOT HAVE the ACTUAL PRINTS, (Although it may contain a coupon to "request" the now long gone Prints).
The (4) Prints, (w/ envelope), are heavy and thick; it is not a good idea to place them inside a sealed LP, and not conducive to a 12" x 12" shape, and would warp the disc, and certainly crease the jacket. Every copy I have seen, (and the 2 copies I have), are placed in an external (bluish/greenish) envelope as I described. I found an image (below) of this USA example; in the lower left hand corner, is an address where the Prints could once be purchased (if no Mail-in card was included within the LP), for ~$1.25.

ADDENDUM: A UK Set, w/ a type of small, blue-grey-green Folder contains 1 set of Prints; A Netherlands Copy has a more greenish-grey Folder containing the set of Prints.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

1. Nurse with Wound -7"single w/ OBI "Crank"/ "Termite Queen Wise Crack"; 1987; early, rare example of an "odd crowd". (New).

MOST Current 93/ Nurse with Wound, and Related pieces are frankly unlistenable; a sort of grating metallic sound; but I do like to find as early of band pieces as I can, and I like mint Test Pressings. The "Troum" LP below is actually sort of pretty and VERY unlike the music that (most of this crowd) releases. Some is pornographic, or deals with some really sick topics; but these pieces, are not the extreme, sad and disgusting end of (their) musical spectrum. They make nice additions for my library; but unless you have HEARD an LP or a specific piece you like, I cannot recommend them in general. There are some Stereolab/ Nurse with Wound collaborations that are really very good. The Era of the piece, and Collaborators on any particular piece makes a great deal of difference. Many of their recordings command very high prices, and frankly, much of the band(s) work are an enigma. I was interested in early or particular pieces I had (usually, but not always) heard. These Collective works under the Current 93/ Nurse with Wound, et cetera DO provide variety
!

2. Current 93; Nurse with Wound; Coil - 12" LP Test Pressing; "Haunted Waves, Moving Graves" 2012; (New); signed by R. Tibet; Placed in a Copper-Calligraphy Sleeve. Very Nice Art Piece; (I have not heard this yet). This is a Test Pressing for a Picture Disc.

3. Current 93/ Om; "Inherrant Waves"; Beautiful Turquoise Pressing; 10" Disc; Neurot Label; 2006; recalled.

Recording is accompanied by a Letter explaining its recall. I liked the color of this disc; it is unusual. Strangely, I think, that is exactly why it was recalled! This was supposed to be an Emerald Green. Apparently 200-300 LPs of THIS turquoise color were distributed, [but only 120 were sent out with a letter describing the details of the alleged "error"]. I still think it's pretty color for a disc; but I have not heard it.

4. Troum - "Eald-Ge-Stréon" - w/ Nadja Nurse with Wound; 2LP/ 12" (1) Blue, (1) Black Disc; Metallic Blue artwork by SOMA of Sun O))); a LTD. ED. of 400; 2010; (sealed); On the beta-Lactam Ring Label. A lot of Historical Background.

[Title: "Usque Sumus Lux"; Latin:
"(I am) The Bringer of Light"]

5. John Lennon/ Yoko Ono; "Why"/ "Mother"; 1970 French 7" w/ Unique Pic Sleeve/ Insert. Apple Label; distributed by Pathé Marconi. Very Nice!

6. "Origin of Silence"; 12" LP; 1/ 250 copies; 2012; pressed on 200 gram virgin Clear vinyl, in screen-printed PVC Sleeve. (sealed); Compound Eye is the project of Drew McDowall (Ex-Coil) and Tres Warren (Psychic Ills).

7. The Clash - "London Calling"/ "Armagideon Time" 7" UK single w/ Pic Sleeve; 1979.

8. David Bowie - "Pinups"; 1973 LP; French release; RCA/ Mainman RS.1003; (Sealed); spare.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
Burial - Young Death/Nightmarket EP
Solange - A Seat At The Table
The Orb - COW/Chill Out, World!
Stars Of The Lid - Gravitational Pull vs. The Desire For An Aquatic Life
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Maeror Tri - "Ambient Dreams"; CD; USA; LTD 500; beta-Lactam label; OBI; 2007; (sealed). This CD is a reissue of Maeror Tri ("The Mourning Three"), from "cleaned up" 1990 Ltd. Ed. CASSETTE TAPES, originally on the "ZOVIET NS Label", out of France and Germany. Long disbanded, and like so many musical works - simply overlooked, lost in the crowd - and the rapidly changing political climate of their time that overshadowed much in that era, especially fringe Music. The Original releases were on bootlegged-like cassettes, often devoid of any more than a typed title. One benefit of such new labels as "beta-Lactam Ring Records" and "Nurse with Wound", is their interest in reviving Music from Artists that might otherwise have been lost. Troum, (an arcane Germanic word for "Dream(s)" is listed with this CD) because of these label connections, (and Music) that are deemed worth preserving, and are truly very different in temperament and style from what the Current 93, NWW, and beta-Lactam labels present; often Very Dark, with Disturbing Music and Art, interwoven with ambient sounds and a sonic peace and softness which makes for some intensely varied recordings. It was not a surprise when the Austrian "Der Blutharsch" and related bands work with these labels. It IS an eclectic bunch, involving Sun O))) and company, Troum, and Stereolab, among others.

Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

God, so so many purchases, I think I may be an addict !!

Anyhow from top of my head recent arrivals at AT Towers;

New Lp's from Thee Oh Sees, The New Lines, Oscillation (rarities lp), Wolf People

Older ish LP's from Steve Gunn (3 of them !!), Fleet Foxes-Helplessness Blues, Teenage Fanclub Manmade, Dinosaur Jr-Beyond, Pixies-Trompe Le Monde, Clearlake-Amber, New Pornographers-Mass Romantic, Acid Mothers Temple-Astrogasm form The Inner Space, Pink Floyd _Animals repress, Meddle (repress), Donoasur Jr-Green Mind, Beck -Seachange (repress), Bowery Electric-Beat (repress)

7" and 12" too many to mention
Cd's's Lush live @ KRCW and Kristin hersh
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Brian Eno "Reflections" 2LP SET; (sealed); Warp Label; UK 01/01/2017. Preorder
(- arrived Friday 12-30-2016).
Brian Eno "Reflections" Japanese CD; 1st Issue; 01/01/2017. Preorder
Last edited by semisynthetic on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Morton Subotnick ‎– Silver Apples Of The Moon
Mercury Rev ‎– Yerself Is Steam (2016 yellow/orange reissue)
Meat Puppets ‎– Forbidden Places (promo in plain black sleeve)
Screamin' Jay Hawkins ‎– Frenzy
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Aquarian-Time wrote:; God, so so many purchases, I think I may be an addict !!

So, my nose itches at times of course; and there is an acceptable level of cold perspiration - Oh Yeah - :D Music is Good!

"I don't have a Problem I can't afford" as someone well versed once said.

- All joking aside, these last 3-4 years have been fantastic; finding and obtaining obscure pieces - many of which had eluded me for decades. And equally important, many new or relatively new pieces have added a greater variety of music from all over the world of dramatically different genre. Some of these came to me by pure chance, others by searching,
AND many more with help from the wonderful people of this SITE. I certainly do feel very fortunate
Paracelsus
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Chicos de Nasca - Blowing Inside,
Desert Mountain Tribe - Either That Or The Moon ( nice white vinyl copy picked up at gig last month),
The Vacant Lots - Berlin ep (clear vinyl, no dl code, wtf is this with `a` Records?)
The Beatles - For Sale ( mono, man this is my best purchase recently) definitely not their best but for sentimental reasons I love this album, great pressing as well unlike The Vacant Lots,
Burial - Young Death/Nightmarket 12".
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last album & singles & EP's & 78rpm disc you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Be-Bop-Deluxe "Axe Victim"; USA Harvest 11689; 1974. (sealed spare). Great Artwork.

A Collection of Early French Beatles, 1963 - 1965 7" Singles & EP's w/ Unique Sleeves; (12).

"Time does not Wait" - 10" TEST PRESSING; 78rpm Rudy Vallée. c. 1933 [#A11]; single sided. VICTOR. USA.
(written in different ways; "Time Waits Not", et cetera. Written with a wax pencil. I cannot find a listing under this Title.

Bing Crosby "White Christmas" LP; c. 1964; DECCA; USA; (sealed).

1967 7" Single Columbia Sleeve; (Reverse has 1st Pink Floyd LP Image, et al, UK; EX condition, (spare)

THE NEW SPIRIT OF CAPITOL SAMPLER; LP; SNP-6; 1970; I love samplers! They have been a great way to find not-so-new or not so well known bands; or very well known tracks, but w/ different versions. Once, these were priced anywhere from Free to $5.99; (in 1970, that is). This Sampler is on the Green Capitol Label, and as a (sealed spare), it is always great to have these for the collection; I have suggested before, and I'll repeat it again - Capitol, Harvest, Decca, - and WONDERFUL Columbia Waxes from the mid 1960's from Holland and Germany, (often speckled Blue or White Waxes in particular), were fantastic pressings having great sound, for they were Waxes and made as Promotional discs for "the record buying public"; and worth their prices, both then and now. Keeping with the Capitol USA family of Samplers, I would add "Harvest Sampler - Art School Dancing", "The Harvest Sampler 1977", and of course, 1968, "Tower Underground Sampler", as the best "3" of many; DECCA had a wonderful listing of samplers, but they were seemingly never made in anything near sufficient quantities, and the "very best" of these DECCA samplers are now difficult to find.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:13 am, edited 12 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

3 arrivals yesterday:

Beck: Odelay (2016 Vinyl Me Please edition) NM, barely played
Roky Erickson: The Evil One & Gremlins Have Pictures, both LITA reisuses
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: Last album you bought?

Post by semisynthetic »

Barclay James Harvest - "Octoberon"; French Polydor; Gatefold LP; Beautiful artwork, original release. Laminated; w/ Insert. (spare).

The Bunny Racket Project; very pretty PINK disc; Gatefold Jacket; and what a line up! I have not heard it, but I have "childrens" records from the 1920's on. This is the first new recording of the genre in 10 years I've purchased. Very Nice!

Harpers Bizarre - "The Secret Life of ..."; LP; 1968; Warner Bros. Green Label; this is the 3rd LP from an eclectic group that went from cover versions to Bizarre Covers very quickly. Psychedelia of a sort. An old friend referred to their 2nd LP of "Anything Goes", a sort of tribute to Cole Porter, as "Bubble-gum music meets Acid-Laden-Sugar-Cubes". Very Happy music - though I have not heard this LP. Their OST work on "I Love You Alice B. Toklas" with Peter Sellers can be heard on this Thread some pages back. This image is of the Obverse of the Jacket, the Reverse is better visually; the other (2) band members are shown. I really enjoy this era. (sealed).

David Bowie - "Be My Wife"/ "Speed of Life"; 7" single - unique to Japan ONLY Pressing & Pic Sleeve with inserts; 1977; (sealed).

Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Paracelsus
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Stopped into a new shop (to me) in Philadelphia while I was there for work.

Found Mesomorph Enduros (JG Thirlwell curated compilation, 1992) and Butthole Surfers "Double Live" (un-numbered reissue).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There is a shop locally that refuses to check online prices for 90% of what they put out in the racks.
This week I have bought:
Neil Young- Tonight's The Night 1st pressing LP.
Neil Young- On The Beach orig US LP.
Gene Clark- No Other orig LP.
Faces- Long Player LP w/photo instead of die cut LP.
Prefab Sprout- Steve McQueen orig UK LP.
Tom Waits- Closing Time orig US wlp LP.
Rolling Stones- Beggars Banquet white vinyl LP.
Jonathon Round- S/T Folk Psych LP on Westbound(think Funkadelic).
Ans a bunch of Depeche Mode German colored vinyl 12"s to flip to pay for all these purchases.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I can remember sitting in an old girlfriends bedroom pretending to like that Prefab Sprout album, late `85, although I now concede it's probably a pop classic on some level, do you mind if I ask how much it was going for?
I`ve actually had to put it up on youtube to give it a listen again, funny the perspective time can give you on these things.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

niamhm wrote:I can remember sitting in an old girlfriends bedroom pretending to like that Prefab Sprout album, late `85, although I now concede it's probably a pop classic on some level, do you mind if I ask how much it was going for?
$1. This shop is rooted in 70's rock and older jazz. They most likely had no idea who Prefab Sprout were. Plus this is the UK version. Here it was released with the title Two Wheels Good and the production is worse. So I was happy to pick it up.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Indulged in my usual birthday Amazon voucher digital music binge, and accidentally spent some of my own pennies as well ;) This lot should fill in the heavier/experimental end of my final draft 2016 list...

Aurora - All My Demons Greeting Me As A Friend
Årabrot - The Gospel
Diiv - Is The Is Are
G.H. - Housebound Demigod
Hannah Peel - Awake But Always Dreaming
John Maus - Love Is Real
Marissa Nadler - Strangers
The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703 AD
Panphage - Drengskapr
Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box (4-Disc Super Deluxe Edition)
Shxcxchcxsh - SsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSsSs
Spectrum - Feels Like I'm Slipping Away EP
Spectrum & Jessamine - A Pox On You
Subrosa - For This We Fought The Battle Of Ages
Sunn O))) - 青木ヶ原 // 樹海 (Aokigahara // Jukai)
Techno Animal - Re-Entry
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

After seeing this 30 Year Anniversary writeup and reading of the impact it had on those Users who recalled the era, I looked and found a (sealed) copy of:- The The - "INFECTED"; LP; 1986; Epic Label; (USA release). The name does sound familiar; but I think, as for myself, that as "new music" was available, I was enjoying the more light-hearted music of that era; and remember a B-52's Concert, that same summer, Talking Heads and The Pretenders, among others. But this LP obviously strikes a chord, or at least once did, in so many, and so I thought it would be well worth adding to the collection, listed as - "things I missed by The The". The lyrics look very interesting, and the video remind me of a more sullen Fun Boy 3. Thank you very much for sharing the writeup and opinions.

And:
David Bowie - "Station to Station"; 1976 LP Japanese RCA YSL Pressing; (sealed); Pink & Black OBI; The upcoming reminder of January 10th brings with it the idea of "Travelling Station to Station"; and seeing this original release Japanese pressing was just too nice to pass by.

Eclection - "Nevertheless", w/ "Mark Time"; PROMO Elektra Label w/ correct sleeve; 1968; this obscure USA Promo pressing is admittedly bland compared to rarer and much more nicely done 7" Singles and EP's from Portugal and other places w/ Pic Sleeves; it was all but overlooked in the USA, while as usual, The Nordic countries, Portugal (and the UK) took notice; it is a beautiful musical piece from a (thus far) trustworthy and reputable Dealer.

Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Brian Eno - Reflection
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Happy New Year to one and all!

Christmas bundle...

Spacemen 3 - Performance LP (Glass Records)
Spacemen 3 - Hypnotized 12" (w/ poster)
Spectrum - California Lullabye/Indian Summer 10"
Sonic Boom & Frank Kozik - Loser 7"
10000 Russos - S/T (deluxe Fuzzclub edition, clear vinyl)
The Cult Of Dom Keller - Goodbye To The Light LP (white vinyl)
Hills - Hills (2LP reissue from Cardinal Fuzz/Sky Lantern Records)
The Cosmic Dead - Eccie Bam Yass E? CDr
Night Beats - Fuzz Club Sessions (deluxe box version)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Thank God For Mental Illness LP
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Take It From The Man! (2LP, red and blue vinyl)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Spacegirl And Other Favorites (green vinyl)
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Tepid Peppermint Wonderland: A Retrospective Vol.2 DLP (red vinyl)

Also got some cracking artwork for the walls... my brother got me a framed version of this:

Whilst my wife got this framed up for me:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

(hopefully thats visible via that link)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mixture of Christmas gifts and some treats for myself..

Bert Jansch- Avocet
Richmond Fontaine- You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing To Go Back To.
Jimi Hendrix- Machine Gun (live at Filmore East first set)
The Kinks- Essential
Trembling Bells- The Sovereign Self
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

This coming Sunday I will be setting up a table at a record fair to hopefully shift some extras, doubles, and things I just don't NEED; and also perhaps come home with a few new treasures. My 8-foot table should hold about 12 boxes of records if I measure correctly. My goal is to move many of them at very low prices, $1-$4. Then perhaps 2 boxes of more expensive desired pieces.

In the mail this week I received an order of Beck: One Foot In The Grave and Beastie Boys: Check Your Head (1998 RE).
Sunday my wife and I were at a thrift shop, and she spied The Slider from T. Rex, which I didn't have yet. Nice dollar find there. Last week I also picked up The Undertones: Hypnotised and Concrete Blonde's self-titled LP, both cheap.

Lastly, today I poked around the local shop and tried not to spend any money, but ended up bringing home Santa Dog 2x7'' by The Residents - the 2014 reissue, of course - not the frightfully rare and expensive original! Since I rarely see Residents 45s around, and the price was well below online sellers, the puppy followed me home.

I did see a Glass pressing of Sound of Confusion, at a VERY low price, but it was because the original picture sleeve was MISSING... just the LP in a white generic sleeve. I considered it seriously, but decided that I wanted the whole package, since I have an early repress of the same LP. I will probably regret it.

Hoping you all enjoy your new records.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Been on a been of s Stephen Stills binge lately:
Picked up:
S/T,
Manassas double
and 2.
Jim Dickinson- Dixie Fried 2x LP reissue
Alice Coltrane- Journey In Satchidananda reissue
The Records- Shades In Bed UK LP + 12"
Traffic- Welcome To The Canteen LP
Steppenwolf- 7 orig UK LP
Ngozi Family- Day Of Judgement LP
Flaming Lips- Heady Nuggs: 20 Years After Clouds Taste Metallic: 1994-1997 5 LP box
Well that is 10!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Great Lists! And Laz69 - Very nice artwork from the Cosmic Dead.
Paracelsus
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3
Julian Cope - Drunken Songs
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Amp-Astralmoonbeamprojections 2LP
Amp-All o yesterday tomorrow 3CD
Amp- Passe Present LP (plus 12")
Pink Floyd-One Slip 12" with poster
Windy and Carl/Amp CD EP
Windy and Carl A Dream Of Blue 10"
Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks -Mirror Traffic LP
Expo 70-Corridors to Infinity 2CD
Expo 70-Frozen Living Elements CD
Giant Sand-Purge and Slouch (first press) LP
Luna Cd EP (with 5 live tracks Aussie release)
The Olivia Tremor Control-Opera House double 7"
Windy and Carl-Consciousness LP
Mercury REv-Secret Migration LP (replacing cd version)
Broadcast-Pendulum EP12"
Broadcast Extended Play Two EP 12"

Thats the last two weeks worth anyway......at Piccadilly records I have some goodies waiting for me as well
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am sure others must get that feeling your record buying/collecting is out of control. I do. :oops:
When I had to answer to someone there was always the "at least it isn't drugs" line that always worked.
Now all I have to answer to is my bank balance. :cry:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

spzretent wrote:I am sure others must get that feeling your record buying/collecting is out of control. I do. :oops:
When I had to answer to someone there was always the "at least it isn't drugs" line that always worked.
Now all I have to answer to is my bank balance. :cry:
Sometimes i think my wife wishes it was drugs... haha... probably be more under control if it was :lol: :lol: :lol:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Well today I picked up a few $1 LPs at the thrift shop (including Fleetwood Mac Rumors, which I didn't have) and also a nice pair of JBL speakers, J2080 model. can't wait to hook them up and crank them!

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers ... 94crx.aspx
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Cavern of Anti-Matter - Blood Drums (Duophonic rerelease of their rare debut album)
Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Doctors of Madness - "Latenight Movies All Night Brainstorms"; Japanese example; 1976. (sealed).

Several weeks ago, when I was buying "Doctors of Madness" recordings, I purchased this copy only to learn it was sold already and frankly forgot about it. To my surprise, this LP showed up "available" once again, a sealed 1976 Japanese Promo/ Review Copy MPF (Polydor) 1008; the info usually found on the (commercial) OBI is oddly "printed" on the reverse. Anyway, I am happy that this LP once again "appeared out of nowhere" last week. I'm using the Photos provided me,
something I have needed to do for some time now.

I keep reading that these "Doctors of Madness" recordings did not go over well in the band's native UK, and I don't understand why. This seems to be a recording "ahead of its time", which may be the answer to my question. Nevertheless, the band is cited for jumpstarting many OTHER bands. In the USA, both the 1st & 2nd LPs were packaged together, with very dull artwork to boot - so boring, and just simply bad is the 2-LP Jacket Artwork, I didn't even bother to share it - I am hoping that if opened, there will be info and Photos available inside that appear nowhere else, but I am not holding my breath. Below are the "Japan-Only" 1st LP's Obverse and Reverse Jacket images.

Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

pretty interesting mixture in my latest batch

High Tide- Sea Shanties
Jah Wobble - I Could Have Been a Contender
Dungen- Haxan
Fushitsusha- Withdrawe, This Sable Disclosure Ere Devot'd
various- Wayfaring Strangers: Guitar Soli

EDIT: I forgot one: Omar Rodriguez Lopez- Old Money
Last edited by angelsighs on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying
Iron Maiden - Killers
Boards Of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Ginger Wildheart - Market Harbour
John Cale - Vintage Violence

Traded in some useless CDs for the above used CDs. Net cost: nil :)
Last edited by mc on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Filling in gaps whilst desperately trying not to despair about Drumpf, Brexit and every other shitstorm engulfing the world...

Boards Of Canada - Twoism
Boards Of Canada - Hi Scores EP
Boards Of Canada - In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country EP
Boards Of Canada - Trans Canada Highway EP
Leonard Cohen - Various Positions
The Field - Cupid's Head
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Third World Pyramid,
The Beatles - Help ( in mono, so good),
Hills - s/t debut,
Moon Duo - Occult Architecture,
Ty Segal - Ty Segal,
Blown Out - New Cruiser,
and a few Bandcamp purchases,
Bardo Pond - Live At Union Pool,
Earthless - Live At Bowery Ballroom,
Earthless - Acid Crusher,
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

A few interesting things...

via mail: Coil - The Anal Staircase 12"

In shops:
Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - Gorilla (reissue)
Experimental Audio Research - Mesmerised
Japan - Exorcising Ghosts
Firewater - International Orange
Wall of Voodoo - Dark Continent
eels - tomorrow morning (buggered moldy sleeve, clean records)