IPod back up / recovery?

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

KingHarry
Known user

IPod back up / recovery?

Post by KingHarry »

Not sure if anyone can help or advise. My laptop has died and my all my music files were on it and I never backed-up.

Can I recover all the music that is held on my Ipod Classic and rebuild an ITunes file on my new laptop?

It's possibly clear from the above that I'm technically useless - but does this makes sense to anyone, and is it possible?
angelsighs
Known user

Re: IPod back up / recovery?

Post by angelsighs »

Good news- it's possible. I had to do the same thing myself when my external hard drive died

Bad news- I can't remember exactly how to do it, I think it was fairly simple but a bit time consuming. There's an option in the IPod to make the computer treat it like a hard drive you can access, then you can grab the files from it.
I just think I had to do a lot of file renaming and get all the artwork again etc. So its a ballache but possible.. have a Google!
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

KingHarry,

Google is a great tool for something like this. Perhaps google, " recovering itunes music files via ipod " or something like that. A mate who is computer savvy would help. Don't know if your close to an Apple store or not ?

I backed up my iTunes library on two external hard drives ! Nothing like losing music files, data, photo's, etc. to make one back things up. I lost a bunch of photo's a few years ago and can't retrieve them anymore. :shock:
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Mac or PC?
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Dave - its a PC

Thanks for the replies - Angelsighs - that's good to know ... although memory of a step-by-step idiots guide would have been even better! :D

I'm thinking I may be best going to a dodgy high street PC shop and giving them £50 to try and sort it out!
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

You are welcome! on the Mac side, I have used Senuti. (which is iTunes spelled backwards)