Mary Chain - Amputation

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Ian
Known user

Mary Chain - Amputation

Post by Ian »

That will do nicely. Nothing stunning, no massive divergence from their usual template, but sounds pretty great to me.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
burningwheel
Known user

Re: Mary Chain - Amputation

Post by burningwheel »

01 Amputation (not new)
02 War On Peace (not new)
03 All Things Pass (not new)
04 Always Sad (new?)
05 Song For A Secret (not new)
06 The Two Of Us (not new)
07 Los Feliz (Blues and Greens) (new?)
08 Mood Rider (not new)
09 Presidici (Et Chapaquiditch) (new?)
10 Get On Home (not new)
11 Facing Up To The Facts (not new)
12 Simian Split (new?)
13 Black And Blues (not new)
14 Can’t Stop The Rock (not new)
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I was buzzing to hear a new `Chain song today and wasn`t disappointed at all, looking forward to a new album :)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

So what are you saying BurningWheel ? That the forthcoming album isn't exactly, " new " ?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Kinda, reinterpretations of older songs/projects...but i still think it will great! :)
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

UK tour dates announced
http://thequietus.com/articles/21473-je ... -tour-2017

new song is.. okay.

so the album has largely been repurposed from solo tunes? if I am understanding right. this never works when bands try to do it!
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Damage and Joy has leaked. Couldn't resist a listen.
I'm an uber JAMC fan but with low expectations for this LP so I was filled with a mixture of trepidation, fear and hope. To be fair Amputation had me feeling more positive and upbeat and thinking that it could at least equal the Sister Vanilla album, which it does and more.

Off the top of my head it's the best reformation album i've ever heard. That's not to say its perfect though, the production is a bit off and William only sings half a song and does a few backing vocals which is a bit odd. Would've liked more of his voice, especially on his own songs but minor quibbles really. Jim reclaims his place as the coolest man in rock. There is simply no one better at moaning/groaning/ahhing/awwwing 8) :D

Plenty of good moments; Get On Home is reminiscent of their Reverberation (Doubt) cover, War On Peace sounding very BJM :lol: , Facing Up To The Facts teetering on the edge of Sidewalking, opening with Amputation and closing with Can't Stop The Rock which is a song that still brings a tear to the eye and lump in the throat :oops:

I'm on my third listen already today.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Sunray - is your leaked copy just one long mp3? Not the easiest thing to navigate through! (No guilt about tracking it down, I've already got the album on pre-order.)

I think it's... good enough. I've not kept up with the brothers' solo careers, so the reused tracks are new to me. Perhaps I would have been less keen on Amputation if I already knew it, but I didn't, and I think it's one of the highlights. There's lots to appreciate here, and I'm enjoying it a lot... They certainly haven't disgraced themselves, but I'm not hugely excited by it. I expect it'll be raised up a notch live, and I am excited by the prospect of seeing them next month.

But when the Sister Vanilla tracks come on, it just sends me back to the originals. I've always thought that Little Pop Rock is fantastic, and Can't Stop The Rock is a little tame on the new album. I love the drunken barely together feel of much of LPR, and I miss the "Have we finished? No? Shall I try and play a bit more? Like this? OK, I give up!" feel of the original. (Same with JAMColas - I wouldn't have any problem with them ressurrecting that or What Goes Around for the live shows.)
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mine is all individual tracks, i too have the lp pre-ordered.

I understand you not been hugely excited by it, it's a solid album rather than stellar. Personally i'm delighted that it's actually decent and withstanding repeated listens. I do feel the guitars need to be more forward in the mix though, they sound a little held back on the faders instead of pushing them up (says the production genius :lol: ).

Also looking forward to catching them in Glasgow and Dublin in the next couple of weeks. I really hope they play a good chunk of the album rather than rely on a greatest hits set.

With regard to the Sister Vanilla songs I like both versions of Can't Stop The Rock, I really wish the end bit on the new version would go on and on. In saying that i'm not keen on the new take of The Two Of Us, it just doesn't really catch.
Yeah, What Goes Around would be great to hear live.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I agree about ti being the best reformation LP in recent memory, very enjoyable despite being nothing particularly new. I don't know the original versions of any of these tracks, but they all stand up well here to me! Second listen today, looking forward to the tour.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Only knew All Things Must Pass of the songs here myself, just couldn`t be arsed with the Reids scrappy recordings I heard on the old MySpace, but I think it's great after a few plays, hangs a lot better as an album than Munki to my ears some great little detail touches scattered right throughout, I have pre ordered it but I couldn`t stop myself from having a listen, looking forward to hearing some of it played live on Friday night now.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

will check this album out now on your recommendations, guys. if hardened Mary Chain fans are saying it's worth investigating, it must be!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Picked this up yesterday at an unamed record shop who shouldn't sell it until tomorrow !! Will give it a spin tonight in readiness for Saturdays gig
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Well I think this is a bloody good album all tings considered. Side A is absolutely fantastic. Setlist looks good from last nights show, so Saturday should be a blast
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Glasgow :D 8) They are not fucking about.

Probably a full report in a couple of days when I get home.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I listened to it on my long drive today. I like it. A few songs sounded like newer bands influenced by JAMC (e.g. Crocodiles).I Spotified it ( :oops: ), but will definitely purchase it when I'm back home.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

New album by the J&MC sounds pretty good. Impression on just the first listen. As well, working on the pc while listening to the album. " Song for a Secret " stopped me on my tracks. Sounds just like Hope Sandoval, but saw in the liner notes it was Isobel Campbell. Is she the one in Belle et Sebastian ?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just putting this out there because there is so much shitty vinyl about, but this pressing is superb, so good, loud, clear on the bass and treble and zero surface noise/scratching or popping, it really is a treat to listen to, I got the `indie shop orange vinyl version` how is anybody else finding it, listened to my Sweet Heart Sweet Light white vinyl earlier today, shocking on some tracks, forgot how bad it was.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Bit of a thread resurrection here but wasn't sure where else to put it. This video popped up on my YouTube feed, a nice mix of interviews and live footage from the Mary Chain in China

https://youtu.be/CGd9Xk1aIIc
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Cool find, cheers for sharing, enjoyed that,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

glad you enjoyed, I agree it was a nice little watch
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Great wee video. I love Jim's dry wit :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:15 pm Great wee video. I love Jim's dry wit :D
Ditto. Nice to see William chatting too. I really wish he did more interviews, love listening to him.
Thanks for the link 'Sighs.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I see the JAMC have signed to Fuzz Club and have a big program of reissues and new releases planned starting off with reissues of 'Damage and Joy' and 'Live At Barrowland'. The mail shot also hints at new material so that should be something for Joycey to look forward to.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:57 pm I see the JAMC have signed to Fuzz Club and have a big program of reissues and new releases planned starting off with reissues of 'Damage and Joy' and 'Live At Barrowland'. The mail shot also hints at new material so that should be something for Joycey to look forward to.
:lol: I was just about to post this Olan.
Going by recent interviews I don't think the new album will appear until the end of 2022, but the reissues will keep me busy. Do I need 'em? Do I fuck! I've multiples of all of them on multiple formats :roll: but i've already dived in for the above two :oops: It's a pity Fuzz Club don't ship from Europe, things are gonna get expensive. I think i might be skimping on a few meals this year!

Here's the blurb: https://fuzzclub.com/blogs/news/the-jes ... -fuzz-club
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

quite tempted by the Live at Barrowlands album. with the other songs they played too, it's almost the perfect Mary Chain setlist for me.

am I right in understanding that Damage & Joy has been remastered? an album from 5 years ago needing a remaster.. what is the world coming to!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

It does say its remastered and I would have said it didn`t need to be remastered as its one of the best sounding albums and pressings I own IMO. I`m not claiming this be forensic in any sense at all but a quick comparison play through of both tonight and I`m struggling to hear any difference except for the obvious track listing differences and extra couple of tracks ... Might still buy it though, the job Fuzz Club did on the Dead Skeletons reissue is superb
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

How is Damage and Joy standing up as an album a few years later?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angel-sighs wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:38 pm How is Damage and Joy standing up as an album a few years later?
Still sounds great to me. At the time i wished William had sang on it more and my feelings haven't changed in that regard.
The remastering thing is a total gimmick though. The only thing that would have improved it was bringing the guitars forward in the mix, which they don't seem to have done (granted, this is going by a leaked version that was probably ripped from Bandcamp anyways). The extra tracks demonstrate that Isobell Campbell is far more preferable to Sky Ferreira in the vocal department. Pretty shocked at the censoring of lyrics in Amputation though, wtf is that all about?! Surely they won't be like that on the actual finished product?
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Yeah i guess bringing the guitars forward would have been more of a full remix than a remaster. Does seem silly to remaster such a recent release. But i guess it's another selling point!
Glad it's holding up fairly well. Reunion albums can be a strange beast but there are solid ones out there.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:09 pm
angel-sighs wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:38 pm How is Damage and Joy standing up as an album a few years later?
Still sounds great to me. At the time i wished William had sang on it more and my feelings haven't changed in that regard.
The remastering thing is a total gimmick though. The only thing that would have improved it was bringing the guitars forward in the mix, which they don't seem to have done (granted, this is going by a leaked version that was probably ripped from Bandcamp anyways). The extra tracks demonstrate that Isobell Campbell is far more preferable to Sky Ferreira in the vocal department. Pretty shocked at the censoring of lyrics in Amputation though, wtf is that all about?! Surely they won't be like that on the actual finished product?
I would`nt think so, its like that on Spotify, maybe your leaked version is ripped from there. As an album I think it still stands up wellbut like a lot of albums the last 25 yrs or so its probably a couple of songs too long - and now its even longer - sometimes enough is enough, just because you can make an hours worth of music doesn`t mean its all worth putting on the album
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I really enjoyed the last Mary Chain album. It had a lot of moments I really enjoyed although it didn’t get close to the firestorm electricity of ‘I Hate Rock & Roll’, which was my introduction to them, so I’m probably biased.

Remastering it seems weird indeed. It was already a pretty good & shiny production by Youth - guess he was trying to be the guy who could produce Primal Scream, J&MC and Spiritualized.

Like a psychedelic take on Top Trumps or something.
O P 8
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Watched the Mary Chain Glastonbury set on TV, I must say they sounded great. I will always be mainly a Psychocandy guy but they have enough great songs from the rest of their career for a hell of a setlist.
The chaos and riots are long gone of course, but they are still nice and moody and the sound was pleasingly beefy
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

An announcement coming next Tuesday. Given the post had links for streaming sites i'm hoping it's a brand new album. Probably be a Darklands Live release instead.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A live album it was. 'Sunset 666', recorded on two nights at the Hollywood Palladium in 2018: https://themarychain.com/

Slightly underwhelmed tbh. I was really hoping for new material. Naturally, i went and ordered the vinyl/cd bundle anyways :roll:

I've ALMOST got it down to buying only JAMC/Spacemen 3/The Heads related material now. Far too expensive to be purchasing anything else.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I never understand the live tracks they play off Honey's Dead. Catchfire and Sundown never get played. Such amazing songs.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Another announcement coming on Tuesday. Looking at the artwork it's either a new album or Munki reissue.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

New album please! I think that last one was totally underrated…
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:11 pm Another announcement coming on Tuesday. Looking at the artwork it's either a new album or Munki reissue.
Yeah that artwork looks a bit of the rear track list from Munki
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:24 pm
sunray wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:11 pm Another announcement coming on Tuesday. Looking at the artwork it's either a new album or Munki reissue.
Yeah that artwork looks a bit of the rear track list from Munki
Yep, Munki reissue it is. I actually don't think i'll bother. Even i realise it's ridiculous having so many copies of the same record (this applies to any artist, not just JAMC).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Me too. I really like that record, it was - as I’ve mentioned before - my gateway thing to the J&MC but I’ve always felt the original Creation issue needs no remastering.

“I Hate Rock & Roll” still sounds louder than everything else when it’s really going.
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yeah, I don’t have it on vinyl so who knows 😉
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

From a recent interview:
The band have also announced a small run of dates in November in the UK, Spain, and Italy, and Reid assures not only will there be more dates next year but there’s also a new Mary Chain album in the offing. “The album’s already done and will be out next year,” he reveals. “It will be a bit different, it’s quite experimental and electronic. Not so much that you won’t recognize it as the Mary Chain, but yeah we fucked about with the sound a bit. So as well as the November shows we’ll be looking to tour the new album early next year I guess.”

In true Mary Chain fashion i'll believe it when i see it :wink:

Here's the full interview: https://www.undertheradarmag.com/interv ... y_of_munki