RSD rumour...

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Laz69
Known user

RSD rumour...

Post by Laz69 »

Apparently there is a rumour floating about that a selection of the Spacemen 3 catalogue is getting reissued for this years RSD. Not sure if its just the US RSD, but it was mentioned that Forced Exposure was putting them out. Supposedly releasing Playing With Fire, Recurring and For All The Fucked Up Children.

No doubt Gerald Palmer is behind this yet again. Fuckin disgraceful. You'd think some sort of injunction could be put in place while this is being disputed. One of the greatest bands to ever exist and they are being completely and utterly ripped off every year with endless reissues.
bambam
Known user

Re: RSD rumour...

Post by bambam »

I saw it on a European list. no mention of a label though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bambam wrote:I saw it on a European list. no mention of a label though.
Space Age. I am going to boycott them myself.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

whilst im sure Gerald Palmer will try his hardest to cash in, that might not yet be the case :

the RSD reissue list appears to show potential vinyl releases from

Spacemen 3 : For all the fucked up children
Spacemen 3 : Recurring
Spacemen 3 : Playing with fire

For all the fucked up originally emerged on Sympathy for the record industry, so they might be re-issuing. The original vinyl release sells for £50 to £75 these days

Recurring : technically the property of BMG, this may well be a space age re-issue since they've previously re-issued it on cd.

Since relatively recently fire records were behind the previous SP3 record store day releases, theres a chance they might be re-issuing Playing With Fire.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The guy at the shop I spoke to said they all have catalog numbers starting with Orbit. Which is Space Age.
The list was from Forced Exposure in the US.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I really want Recurring. OPs are way out of my range.

So, I may get the bootleg reissue (if it is). Sorry.

For All The Fucked-Up Children Of This World We Give You Spacemen 3 ... might as well, if I can get one.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

spzretent wrote:The guy at the shop I spoke to said they all have catalog numbers starting with Orbit. Which is Space Age.
The list was from Forced Exposure in the US.
oh how depressing. yeah I wouldn't buy any of those whatsoever. mildly surprised Fire haven't re-issued PWF though. but then also not surprised Palmer would just press up a version anyhow.

Palmer renewed the SP3 trademark in 2015 to encompass digital releases also :

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003098575
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

davedecay wrote:I really want Recurring. OPs are way out of my range.

So, I may get the bootleg reissue (if it is). Sorry.

For All The Fucked-Up Children Of This World We Give You Spacemen 3 ... might as well, if I can get one.
I have just spotted a copy of Recurring (LP) in a local shop for £40, which turns out to be cheaper than discogs. But may well be negated by p+p to US. Earliest I can go back there is Thu. though. Anyone interested I can give out details where to find it.
jestoon
New user

Post by jestoon »

I heard it was Space Age from the facebook group
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Wouldn't touch any of these releases with a shitty stick.

Gerald Palmer can kiss my ring.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

natty wrote:Wouldn't touch any of these releases with a shitty stick.

Gerald Palmer can kiss my ring.
Agreed. As much as would like Recurring on vinyl I have to look away.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

If I ever see another for a tenner, i'll pick it up for you.

M
Design.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

For amusement sake, here is the promo descriptor for FATFUCWBU:

First official limited edition vinyl release of what was first released as a bootleg record in 1995. The record consists of Spacemen 3's first ever recording session from 1984. The music itself sounds like a primitive version of what the group was to become; the dominating sound of the record is a slow, droning psychedelic blues performed with sparse instrumentation. A drum set is matched with a pair of distorted electric guitars, all of which provide a swirling foundation for Jason Pierce's vocals. Includes printed card inner sleeve; 180 gram white vinyl; Edition of 1000.

I guess it's official if GP license's it rather than Sonic. Funny how Pete signed all those bootleg CDs :wink:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Funny how some folks can't get possessive punctuation right, yet apparently have some inconsequential grasp on other ironies?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

andyblacktoo wrote:
For all the fucked up originally emerged on Sympathy for the record industry, so they might be re-issuing. The original vinyl release sells for £50 to £75 these days
Quiver at Dawn Entertainment put it out a couple of months earlier than SFTRI, but think it's probably considered a bootleg. Seems to be the only thing that label has ever put out.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I got my sealed copy of the original For All The Fucked... for £30 + p&p last year.

There are bargains to be found still!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I'll buy the unlicensed reissues, then keep looking for originals.

[Sorry not sorry]

Fuck that Palmer guy, though.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

They are licensed. Just to the wrong person who pays no royalties to the band.
Never_Enough_Records
New user

Post by Never_Enough_Records »

If there's anyone out there that would be willing to pick me up those two Spacemen 3 reissues, I'd be happy to repay you and/or trade for some American RSD releases. Let me know, thanks!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Same as NER above. I have a few feelers out already.

Sucks the band doesn't get paid. If they reissue them, I'll buy ASAP.
Gerald Palmer
New user

Post by Gerald Palmer »

Just been alerted to this thread by one of the ex SP3 band members…..as an ardent supporter of an individual's right to free speech I (Gerald Palmer) wish to make a comment on this piece of “fake news”.

I assume that as a matter of due diligence you fan boys have all fact checked the veracity of your claims? What’s your source?.....a Donald Trump tweet perhaps?......a disgruntled ex-band member making a post on the Spiritualized forum erroneously alleging they get paid ‘zero’ royalties?......which, unsurprisingly, I might add, gets disseminated further, with everyone feeling as though they should add their own unsubstantiated take on the story but hey ho, that’s the internet for you.

As a general rule I ordinarily choose not to air dirty laundry on social media but to quote Mia Wallace, “when you little scamps get together you're worse than a sewing circle”, so whilst writing please allow me to pose a question you may wish to consider; if these releases are purported to be “bootleg” recordings then why has no other label (excepting only Space Age Recordings) pressed or sold these recordings since the expiration of the licenses to Fire Records, RCA / BMG and subsequently Taang! Records in the U.S.A. in the 90’s?

For the record I've been working with the members of Spacemen 3 continually since 1987.These albums are owned and controlled by me for life of copyright and Space Age Recordings has exclusively manufactured, distributed and sold these records on a worldwide basis for approximately the last 20 years. All the ex-members of Spacemen 3 continue to be accounted to and paid artist royalties on a bi-annual basis as they have been for the last 30 years, with the total sum paid out in royalties running into substantial six figure sums.

All claims that these reissues are "bootlegs” and that the band's members are not being paid royalties are both strenuously denied and completely refuted.

I’m also guessing that all of you lurking on the forum here are as passionate about the integrity of the Spacemen 3 name as I am and so will have read the Erik Morse biography on the band?.....if so you’re probably also aware that it was written with extensive help and input from Pete Kember who ok’d it before publication? If so, I suggest that now might be a good time to go back for a re-read if it’s “alternative facts” you’re after; as they say, there’s always two sides to every story.

No further comment.

Gerald Palmer
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

One person out of twelve used the word bootleg and he was corrected by this sewing circle.
As for the rest......I tend to believe those ex SP3 band members who have spoken out.
I am entitled to my opinion last time I checked.
Signed,
A very proud "Fan Boy".
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Gerald Palmer wrote:
These albums are owned and controlled by me for life of copyright and Space Age Recordings has exclusively manufactured, distributed and sold these records on a worldwide basis for approximately the last 20 years.

Gerald Palmer
Yeah that says it all for me, I think you`ve milked this cow long enough Gerald, Iv`e got all the Spacemen music I`ll ever need so you`ll get fuck all from me anyway, but do you really think coming on here and having ago at people who have supported and followed the Spacemen for a long ,long time is the way to go? Can`t see it myself.

Wonder what the substantial sum paid out actually is? Split however, over 30 yrs, could well add up to buttons so spare us the benevolent custodian routine, we`re not buying it.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Meh....bollocks to buying any of that tat....

The post from Mr Palmer is my second favourite ever on this board. The clear winner was that tout who posted to slag off the LAGWAFIS shows at the QEH on the South Bank when he lost all his money. Same business, just different business models as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Was he doing April 1 a day early??? :roll:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I can say he contacted me in regards to getting chapterhouse their royalities
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Gerald Palmer wrote:
For the record I've been working with the members of Spacemen 3 continually since 1987.These albums are owned and controlled by me for life of copyright and Space Age Recordings has exclusively manufactured, distributed and sold these records on a worldwide basis for approximately the last 20 years.

r

I am not going to talk down to you like you felt the need to talk down to us, the fans who love this band, however instead of these bs reissues you keep releasing why not give us a proper remasters from the masterpieces "you own". Since you "own" it all for perpetuity.
Since you "own" them you still "own" the master tapes. Am I correct?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

You own these records but never played a note? Your contribution to the entire history of recorded music is less important then a wet fart.

Kindly fuck back off to your hole.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That’s all well and good Gerald. I am fully aware you own the rights and although I don't agree with that it's a fact.

The problem is two-fold.

Firstly you are in a position to release whatever Spacemen 3 product you see fit without any consultation or approval of the band members. That doesn't seem right. Not just to me but to anyone who thinks about the situation. The result is a series of reissues which you must know grate on people here 'who are passionate about the integrity of the Spacemen 3 name’. There is no doubt in my mind - and others too – that you are doing that name a massive disservice.

Secondly this is a catalogue crying out for a remaster as the releases are hugely sub-standard sound wise. Surely you know that as it’s been discussed for the past 27 years. That makes any kind of reissue a further insult to what I regard as some of the greatest music ever made. The only man who would could take on the remaster challenge is Pete Kember himself, which takes us back to square one. Impasse.

You are the one who calls the shots here as the band appear powerless, so why continue to fire out these substandard reissues? It can’t be because of the music. For me Spacemen 3 were all about music, but that notion seems to have been lost. Or ignored.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Gerard, when nutters like me who have bought these albums a silly number of times have given up on the pointless reissues, it might be time to realise you're doing it wrong.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
artparrot
New user

Post by artparrot »

Gerald Palmer wrote: I assume that as a matter of due diligence you fan boys have all fact checked the veracity of your claims? What’s your source?
Hey Gerald, here's all the due diligence I needed to do to prove you're not entirely on the up and up.

Source - https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-challenge-deci ... o26912.pdf
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

artparrot wrote:
Gerald Palmer wrote: I assume that as a matter of due diligence you fan boys have all fact checked the veracity of your claims? What’s your source?
Hey Gerald, here's all the due diligence I needed to do to prove you're not entirely on the up and up.

Source - https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-challenge-deci ... o26912.pdf
This is the thread that keeps on giving! :D It now contains two of my three favourite ever posts to this forum. Many thanks @artparrot that was a very informative if somewhat tedious read. The judgement was very infomative. :lol: :lol: .
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

WHERE'S THE T-SHIRT MONEY, GERALD?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Pete Bassman just linked to this on Facebook. It's kind of relative.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... rs-w474441
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I sincerely hope thats a precedence set. Shame that any monies scored by Palmer may not be handed over to the band...
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Gerald Palmer, 2 word review

Shit Sandwich
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

SpaceLine wrote:Gerald Palmer, 2 word review

Shit Sandwich
Shark Shit.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Greasy Palmer
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

davedecay wrote:
SpaceLine wrote:Gerald Palmer, 2 word review

Shit Sandwich
Shark Shit.
Shit shark.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

We would seriously like to ask fans not to buy the Spacemen 3 releases and any merchandise that are being offered for sale on Record Store Day or any of the other Spacemen 3 releases and merchandise offered by Gerald Palmer on Space Age Recordings or any other subsidiary of that label.
We are currently in legal dispute with Gerald Palmer due to him depriving us of our rights in our music and other intellectual property rights relating to Spacemen 3. Any monies from those sales will go directly to him and help fund his side of the dispute.
In short... PLEASE DON'T BUY OUR RECORDS FROM SPACE AGE RECORDINGS!

Thanks for listening

J Spaceman and Sonic Boom together t/a Spacemen 3
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

Gerald Palmer wrote:; if these releases are purported to be “bootleg” recordings then why has no other label (excepting only Space Age Recordings) pressed or sold these recordings since the expiration of the licenses to Fire Records, RCA / BMG and subsequently Taang! Records in the U.S.A. in the 90’s?
erm....

http://www.firerecords.com/spacemen-3/
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

burningwheel wrote:We would seriously like to ask fans not to buy the Spacemen 3 releases and any merchandise that are being offered for sale on Record Store Day or any of the other Spacemen 3 releases and merchandise offered by Gerald Palmer on Space Age Recordings or any other subsidiary of that label.
We are currently in legal dispute with Gerald Palmer due to him depriving us of our rights in our music and other intellectual property rights relating to Spacemen 3. Any monies from those sales will go directly to him and help fund his side of the dispute.

Thanks for listening

Fantastic to see a joint (ha ha) statement. Reunited for the first time?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Paddy Power already have odds of 3-1 on their being a reunion show before 2020! :lol: :lol:
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

andyblacktoo wrote:
Gerald Palmer wrote:; if these releases are purported to be “bootleg” recordings then why has no other label (excepting only Space Age Recordings) pressed or sold these recordings since the expiration of the licenses to Fire Records, RCA / BMG and subsequently Taang! Records in the U.S.A. in the 90’s?
erm....

No PWF or Recurring there.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

It seems Fire still retain the rights to the material which was originally released on Glass records, so maybe the dispute with Palmer only relates to subsequent material? It would be nice to know for sure.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Pleased to see a clear and unambiguous announcement from both Jason and Sonic -

We would seriously like to ask fans not to buy the Spacemen 3 releases and any merchandise that are being offered for sale on Record Store Day or any of the other Spacemen 3 releases and merchandise offered by Gerald Palmer on Space Age Recordings or any other subsidiary of that label.

Thanks for listening

andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

natty wrote:
andyblacktoo wrote:
erm....

indeed, fair point. though didn't space age release a version of perfect prescription. and of course the poorly ripped from cd vinyl press of the live at geneva recording.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

andyblacktoo wrote:
natty wrote:
andyblacktoo wrote:
erm....

indeed, fair point. though didn't space age release a version of perfect prescription. and of course the poorly ripped from cd vinyl press of the live at geneva recording.
"Forged Prescriptions" was on Spaceage.
scoz
Known user

Post by scoz »

andyblacktoo wrote:and of course the poorly ripped from cd vinyl press of the live at geneva recording
Other way around - ripped from vinyl CD version.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Gerald Palmer wrote:Gerald Palmer
Anyone who communicates as you do, is clearly dealing with personal guilt and conflict over one's own actions--but can't bring themselves to get off the tit.
solarflare returns
Known user

Post by solarflare returns »

Don't line his pockets buying ANYTHING he has to peddle, the grubby little twat.... Oh, by the way, his business is 100 metres from my house, so I know he's not skint.... Whos Aston Martin is that Greasy???
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

Losing money to make records to lose money too
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Well...

Record Store Day orders can't be returned by the stores, so the Space Age Recordings guy is already getting paid; all you're doing with your note at the 11th hour is potentially fucking over the record stores that placed the orders.

Where was your note a few months ago when the record stores were placing their RSD orders, when it might have done some good?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

davedecay wrote:...
You can still support the band members by following through on the rest of it and not buying any other Space Age releases, reissues or merchandise, because this is not only about the RSD stuff.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

davedecay wrote:Well...

Record Store Day orders can't be returned by the stores, so the Space Age Recordings guy is already getting paid; all you're doing with your note at the 11th hour is potentially fucking over the record stores that placed the orders.

Where was your note a few months ago when the record stores were placing their RSD orders, when it might have done some good?
To be fair to the band there was not a lot of notice about these new Space Age releases. I only noticed them a while back on the RSD rumours blogs. I think the main point is simply not to buy the tat that is out there as it is not just Spacemen 3 who are on the receiving end of this kind of sharp practice. Any and all support for the Spaceage side of things simply serves to delay the band/ Sonic and Jason getting control of their back catalogue back, (and probably more important from the revenue point of view, the t-shirt business). Then they can do something about addressing the possibility of remastering or properly re-releasing the LPs. The current situation is shitty in the extreme.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

To be fair to Sonic, he's been beating this drum for the past year.

It's only gone viral now Jason has said his piece.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

natty wrote:

To be fair to Sonic, he's been beating this drum for the past year.

It's only gone viral now Jason has said his piece.
Quite. Haven't you read the Spacemen section before Dave? There's been a stickie from Sonic Boom at the top for a year regarding this subject.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Seems a bit of a conundrum on these RSD releases now, not sure too many record shops will have known about this situation, I`m popping by local shop later and I know he has them, be interested to see what he`s charging, and while Sonic and Pete Bain have been on about this for around a yr, it has taken Jason till now to acknowledge it as even a problem. Quite a few folks I know I had to personally point this out to them as they were thinking about buying these releases and were totally unaware of the situation. Now, with the way RSD product works it seems like Palmer`s made a killing again, shame.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
Quite. Haven't you read the Spacemen section before Dave? There's been a stickie from Sonic Boom at the top for a year regarding this subject.
He knew. He replied. He is just trying to justify his purchases. This is the wrong place to do that. Espeicially acting as if he never knew this situation existed.
See his schizo post below.

Postby davedecay » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:47 pm
I'll buy the unlicensed reissues, then keep looking for originals.

[Sorry not sorry]

Fuck that Palmer guy, though.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

It's a tricky situation. If Palmer's already got his cash I realise boycotting these releases hurts the record stores instead of him, but I support the boycott nevertheless. If people don't buy these releases then record stores (stuck with unwanted stock) will be leery of buying futher Sp3 exploitation from Space Age in the future. That's a good thing.

It's a shame Sonic and Bassman's campaign against Palmer wasn't widely known before, but again, Jason getting involved can only be a good thing. Yes, it's unfortunately too late to affect these new re-releases, but to mangle a cliche, Palmer's exploitation is for life, not just Record Store Day. It affects all aspects of the Sp3 catalogue and intellectual property, and having Jason on board will only further their case in terms of weight and exposure.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Maybe someone could have spread the word beyond this wee forum, somehow.

Just a thought.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

The word is already spread well beyond this forum. Just search for "Spacemen 3 record store day" - all the relevant music news sites have picked it up.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Still did not stop many people.

:(

M
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Same guy different release.
February 1, 2016. 14 months ago.
Start at top and see posts 4 & 5.
http://spiritualized.band/viewtopic.php ... 32#p132432
I don't mean to pick on you Dave but c'mon. Your stance just reeks of hypocrisy.
I am sure others who come to this forum bought these LP's and you know what? I am ok with that not that anyone needs my seal of approval.
I'd hate to see Indie record shops get screwed but I have a feeling they all did just fine yesterday with or without selling the Spacemen 3 releases. Just another crappy release of these records on a different color vinyl while Gerald Palmer lines his pockets.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

It really does stink all the way 'round.

Sorry for all the ill feelings.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Apparently they had to remove all their posts about the dispute according to a new pitchfork article