New War on Drugs (and tour)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

New War on Drugs (and tour)

Post by angelsighs »

new song 'Thinking of a Place' and tour dates announced.in Sep/Oct/Nov

http://www.vanyaland.com/2017/04/28/the ... f-a-place/

I have a feeling this band kinda divide the board. I for one really enjoy what he does. been following them since the first album. I like the interesting mix of spaciness and Americana.

I like the new tune even if it just a continuation of the last album. not sure about travelling for the tour though (very few UK dates and ticket prices are steep)
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: New War on Drugs (and tour)

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to the lengthy new single and though it was ok. Then I went back and listened to the last album and quickly got bored. I'll check out the new one when it comes out, though.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Giving a thumbs up to the - is this what qualifies as a single now? A lone digital preview of a song from the album - single, pretty ambitious I think, will be looking to go see him again in Nov, what is the ticket ££ your seeing angelsighs?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:Giving a thumbs up to the - is this what qualifies as a single now? A lone digital preview of a song from the album - single, pretty ambitious I think, will be looking to go see him again in Nov, what is the ticket ££ your seeing angelsighs?
I reckon they'll be a proper single too and more promotion (I'd be surprised if not, especially as they have moved to a bigger record label). they haven't announced the actual album yet.

I saw £34 quoted for Manchester ticket. too rich for my blood.

but yeah, I like the new song. could have done with a bit more variation during its runtime, but the vocal melody is nice and wistful, he does that well. and I like the guitar lines where its on the verge of feedback
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

niamhm wrote:Giving a thumbs up to the - is this what qualifies as a single now? A lone digital preview of a song from the album - single, pretty ambitious I think, will be looking to go see him again in Nov, what is the ticket ££ your seeing angelsighs?
It was released as a 12" for RSD this year, so yeah, I guess it's the single.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sorry, wasn`t really meaning to be so specific, was more a wider point, had the WOND RSD 12" in my hand last weekend an put it back, £14 for 1 song ? Is this what a single has become in 2017? I think I we were better of with digital pre-release,
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

There's nothing on the b-side? Weak. I agree, it's a waste of money. Will anyone ever play that 12" after the album is released and they have the same song on the LP?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I really liked Slave Ambient but just couldn't get into Lost in the Dream. Just kept thinking Dire Straits... So if the new album is more of that, no thanks.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

TheWarmth wrote:There's nothing on the b-side? Weak. I agree, it's a waste of money. Will anyone ever play that 12" after the album is released and they have the same song on the LP?
Not quite, Its an 11 min track and it had 6 mins on one side and 5 on the other, guessing they just split it at some point,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think the fact the single just had the one song on it (and cost that much) has more to do with RSD than anything else.
flokie wrote:I really liked Slave Ambient but just couldn't get into Lost in the Dream. Just kept thinking Dire Straits... So if the new album is more of that, no thanks.
that's interesting. I think that Slave Ambient and Lost In The Dream are more of a piece. it's the first album that's the odd one out.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

It sounds like Bryan Adams .
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

No thanks, I'd have to cross the bridge or pay for the tunnel.

I'll stick to the free beer commercials we get at home; if I'm feeling lucky - I'll loosen my trousers and hope for some action!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

yeah gotta agree, I saw them twice now, the first one was for Slave Ambient and it was a great night out with a gang of fools and friends. great sound, really mellow and the tunes just seemed to float right on by.

well, then I saw them again a few years ago and couldn't believe it was the same band. it was one excessive guitar solo into another. when they did play anything from their back catalog it completely lacked the depth and space it once had.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

cantona wrote:It sounds like Bryan Adams .
Last time I caught them it sounded like a Dylan / Springsteen tribute so if Mr. Adams is now in the mix too I won't even bother listening to the single :arrow:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just looked at SeeTickets for a Glasgow ticket for later this yr. The Friday is sold out but I can join a waiting list, what?? No worries though, tickets are available for the Thursday, they must think you`re f#ckin` daft, trying to make me buy a Thu ticket, corporate w#kers are not manipulating me, just hang off a while yet 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

another new song has been released- Holding On. not at all as keen on this as Thinking of a Place, it actually sounds like what the band's detractors criticise about them.
I'll be giving the live show a miss too, far too rich for my blood.
still love the early stuff mind!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

How much is it? I paid £27 a few weeks back, BRMC and Ride are charging the same, seems to be the going rate for a band of that stature, although I sort of agree with you.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:

How much is it? I paid £27 a few weeks back, BRMC and Ride are charging the same, seems to be the going rate for a band of that stature, although I sort of agree with you.
yeah that's the price, I dunno, those other bands have had years to build up a catalogue and an audience. just seems slightly on the steep side for me (once you add in the dreaded fees)