Substance : Inside New Order

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spacemanrich
Known user

Substance : Inside New Order

Post by spacemanrich »

This one is a big one, clocking in at 700 odd pages. On page 200 or so and it's a good one. Autobiography by 'Hooky' i.e. - Peter Hook about his experiences in New Order. Some of the material was culled from his previous book, " Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures ". Every other page or so he states, " Barney is a twat ". Got some hilarious stuff about their touring days, hijinks, etc. I've also got coming soon Barney's autobiography, " Chapter and Verse : New Order, Joy Division and Me " and he'll probably say that Hooky is a twat too ....
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Re: Substance : Inside New Order

Post by a beautiful shonn »

ha! I just finished Chapter & Verse, not much twat calling going on. I really didn't expect that from Barney.it's a decent read, not too much that I didn't already know.

i'd be curious to read Substance but i have a bit of an issue with Hooky, and at 700 pages that's a bit of a commitment. report back when you finish maybe i will be tempted by your review.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm reading Substance now. I don't know much about New Order, so I'm educating myself with the music while reading the book, which so far I have enjoyed. I don't think I'll wind up being a huge NO fan, based on what I've listened to, but that's alright. The book is pretty well written and easy to read. Hook doesn't hesitate to expound on how ground-breaking the band were and certainly doesn't lack any sense of self-importance, but I suppose that's not surprising.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Does Barney attempt to explain why his potentially valuable opportunity to collaborate with a post-Smiths Johnny Marr in Electronic - turned out to be so pedestrian?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Post Brotherhood much of what New Order released was pretty pedestrian. Maybe he ran out of ideas.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:Post Brotherhood much of what New Order released was pretty pedestrian. Maybe he ran out of ideas.
Seriously? Technique is a great album.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

All down to opinions but I think Electronics Getting Away With It and NO`s Touched By The Hand Of God are two of the finest singles of the whole decade, Technique is a great album and Republic , first side is as good as any side of music NO ever made, also some pretty pedestrian NO stuff before Brotherhood, Shellshock anybody? State Of The Nation and Confusion off the top of my head weren`t pulling up any trees either, going to have to listen to Lowlife later now.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

TheWarmth, really never warmed (no pun intended) up to New Order ? WHAT !?

I, agree w/ ShineALight, Technique was the last great New Order album. Lowlife, Brotherhood, Power, Corruption&Lies, Movement are all classic in their own right. After Technique, I would like maybe 1-3 songs from their albums going forward. Don't mention the last album. I should have listened to some of you guys and not purchased it. It was shite.

Starting Barney's book. I'll talk and compare the two books by Barney & Hooky after I finish reading it. Hooky's novel was way toooo long and was a bit boring.

Talking about books I don't know how I got this email, but Paul Simpson (The Wild Swans) is coming out with a book, at least want to :

INCANDESCENT by PAUL SIMPSON

Paul Simpson one time collaborator with Will Sergeant is publishing his long awaited book 'Incandescent' on Unbound. If you would like to help make this happen you can pledge HERE
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hahaha, I enjoyed the last NO album for what it was, although I`m not really sure I truly class it as a NO album, :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Finished Barney's book and out of the two I liked his the best. I think both books were written and/or came out about the same time. His book was about 320 pages long whereas Hooky's book clocked in at over 700+ pages. Barney's book was concise, well written and good detail in certain chapters, esp. his upbringing in Manchester. Briefly mentioned the partying/drugs/drink, etc, but didn't dwell into the detail that Hooky did. Not one 'twat' was thrown at Hooky, but just explained the outbursts, creative differences between the two men. Hooky's book was bloated (just like the man). I kinda know the rock n' roll lifestyle and so you don't really have to mention the shagging/drinking/drugging EVERY damm chapter, because it gets a bit boring * yawn *. Also, yes you did mention that Barney is a twat, but you also don't have to mention it every chapter as well. Hooky's book if your going to write that much in detail why not mention more about the other label mates ? I like a bit more information about A Certain Ratio, Section 25, Vini Reilly (Durutti Column), Happy Monday's, etc. Both the ghost of Ian feature prominently in both books.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

nice review, thanks! I think one New Order bio will be enough! I figured Hooky's book would be exactly how you described it...BLOATED.

just finished: Suicide: Dream Baby Dream. highly recommend, so much I don't think anybody knew about them is in these pages. everything I have read from Kris Needs is extremely detailed and well studied.

just started: Please Kill Me - the uncensored oral history of punk. the first chapter is all about V/U, worth the price alone!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Please Kill Me is a great read!
a beautiful shonn
Known user

yeah Please Kill Me was a great read indeed, I wanted to save it for our trip to Europe but the way my friend described it I just caved in and finished it off. highly recommend it, in fact I've read quite a bit on the Velvets/Iggy/Patti and they managed in a few chapters to "lay more down" than most bios do in 300-400 pages. can't wait to find my own copy to lend out to someone else!