Manchester

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spzretent
Site Admin

Manchester

Post by spzretent »

I know a fair amount of folks in Manchester and the North. I went to sleep last night hoping no one I know was directly affected by last night's cowardly suicide bomb. I woke up this morning to find out I was wrong. The person at the show is ok but was close enough to the blast to feel the heat from it and see the carnage on her way out. She is 15 years old.
Having spent a lot of time in the North and specifically Manchester I know what tough stuff you guys are made of. Resilient but kind. Down to earth. Working class. The US media coverage last night had to describe Manchester. Over here in the US most people just think the UK is London. They compared it to the Midwestern US. AKA the Rust Belt or Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit. Industrial yet very art forward. A rich music history. This is pretty accurate and most likely why I always feel so at home there.
No one will ever forget what happened last night or those that were brutally murdered and injured. If there is one city I know that will not let the terrorists win it is Manchester.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Re: Manchester

Post by James T »

Impossible to know what to say. I live like a minute walk from the arena and it was an incredibly surreal evening. Today it sinks in. Tomorrow will be different.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, was a little surreal watching all the streets and landmarks around the areas that i know so well from my visits there. My daughter recognised the Arena as somewhere we had parked last year during a visit to the city. Think it made it all the more real to her and she is now a little more nervous about these things as she loves going to these big concerts but is now worried something similar could happen in Glasgow.

I know Manchester and its people will pull together and support each other but my heart goes out to all those who have lost loved ones or who have been traumatised by it. Lots of young, affected minds will need some love and care to help them through it.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I read on Facebook about the fact that many of these kids would have been at there first ever gig, tickets bought months ago, maybe Christmas presents. The excitement surrounding the build up to the event and the joy of being there, and those happy memories shattered by what happened. Truly heartbreaking.

What I've read/heard about Manchesters response has been extremely moving. The stories of people helping others in need, no matter who they were and the community coming together as one. As someone with a beautiful baby girl it bought me to tears hearing the news and imagining what was going through those kids minds when it happened and subsequently thinking about their parents trying to find lost kids and deal with the the horror. So very sad.

I don't want to know what that guys name was who carried out the attack - the names I want to remember are those who are gone. As Spzretent so succinctly put it: If there is one city I know that will not let the terrorists win it is Manchester.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Manchester is down the road from me and my home town of Wigan has been pulled into the chaos, hopefully the goodness of kindred spirits and Northern Grit will win